Study History and Politics at NYU Prague

Learn about the incredible cultural and political transformation of the Czech Republic since the Velvet Revolution in 1989, with courses that explore fundamental changes in history and social justice. Students can take courses like the Cultural History of the City in Central Europe or European-American Relations in the 21st Century, taught by politicians and public intellectuals, many of whom were key players in the country's transition to democracy. NYU Prague organizes day trips and overnight excursions to historic sites like Kutná Hora, a medieval town and UNESCO World Heritage Site famous for its cathedrals, or industrial Ostrava, where students talk with some of the town's Roma population about discrimination and culture. Learn more and access the online application on the NYU Global Programs website, and secure your spot for an amazing semester!

Ashley

Just Okay

I enjoyed the friends I made, and I thought that it was very easy to travel from Prague, with transportation to the airport easy and cheap and flights from Prague relatively inexpensive, but overall, I don’t think I would study abroad here again. The faculty has great credentials, but are not very good at teaching, and I, as well as my peers, often felt frustrated. The social scene was so-so, and I found it to be better at other abroad locations, such as Madrid.

More helpful faculty
Response from NYU Global Programs

Hi Ashley. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Your perspective as a student is a valuable resource for prospective students researching a semester abroad. To support our strong emphasis on academics NYU pursues lecturers who are accomplished professionals in their fields. The small classroom setting that most students experience when studying abroad with NYU presents unique opportunities for teaching, learning, and collaboration with peers. At the conclusion of every semester we conduct program evaluations that are driven by student feedback.

We take this process seriously and I can assure you that frustrations concerning our lecturers will be evaluated so that students can have as impactful an academic experience as possible.

Please don't hesitate to contact Global Programs if you have any questions or concerns.
You can contact us at [email protected] to share your concerns or experiences.
Thank you.

No, I don't recommend
Rajiv

Amazing experience, everyone should do it at least once at NYU

Best study abroad experience you will ever have, NYU knows what they are doing! Everything is planned for and provided, and you will feel right at home after a couple weeks. Travel within Europe is super easy, and NYU even plans free trips for you! Housing is very community-oriented and you often feel as if you are sharing a mansion with your closest friends. All teachers and staff are very friendly and will help you out with anything you need. No need for parents to worry at NYU Prague!

Rebecca

Semester in Prague

I was excited to go to Prague, and I’m glad to say it exceeded my expectations in many ways. The cost of living was very reasonable and low, a much enjoyed respite from the steep prices in NYC. Prague’s location also provided me with the travel opportunities I wanted while in Europe; I was able to visit Rome, Vienna, Budapest, Amsterdam, Belgium, and Croatia, among others. It was a great city to be in, however by the last month I had felt like I had seen everything I wanted to see and was wishing for more museums or scenic spots. NYU did provide free trips to go on which were also great. Some of my classes I enjoyed immensely, however some were lacking for me in content and topics. I wish there were more classes to choose from, as there were so many history classes that the other offerings felt slim. However, overall I believe I learned a lot from my time in Praha and am grateful for the experiences and friends I made while there. I would definitely recommend going.

Diversity of classes
Some of the trips were not well planned in terms of scheduling and timing so look into how to be more efficient when planning overnight/day trips.
Cindy

Study Abroad in Prague

I absolutely loved studying abroad in the Czech Republic. Not only were the classes genuinely interesting and very different from the ones offered at the NYC campus, but the prime location of Prague meant traveling was both cheap and easy. My favorite trip was by far Spain, which took place during fall break. The food was amazing, and I made so many unforgettable memories. We traveled to Barcelona, Seville, Cadiz, and Madrid.

Potentially having more school-sponsored activities/trips with more spots on each trip.
Cindy

Great Study Abroad Choice!

I was hesitant on going to Prague but it’s honestly one of the best decisions I’ve made! While most classes met only once a week, they were still challenging, relevant and interesting. Traveling is so easily done - buses, trains and flights were cheap and easy to access and the location of Prague made it so easy to travel to places I never expected to go. As for living in Prague, it was a strange adjustment but the NYU staff made it so easy and a few weeks in, you’ll begin to love the culture of Prague.

i think it would be great if we were provided a list of restaurants and shops close to campus and the dorms.
Sohyung

Definitely Czech out Prague!

If you're on edge about going to Prague, let me tell you, DO IT! My semester at Prague was such a unique experience--quite different to what I expected honestly. Czech Republic is not only in Central Europe, meaning traveling to everywhere is much cheaper and convenient, but it also means that you're going to be exposed to a vastly different culture compared to that of the United States and a lot of the major European countries such as UK, France, and Spain. Prague and Cesky Krumlov, a nearby city in Czech Republic, are SO so beautiful, you feel as though you are literally living out of a fairytale! Everything is so cheap, and the people may come across as being cold, but if you meet the right ones, they are some of the most genuine people you'll ever come across. If this hasn't convinced you enough, let me just say that beer is cheaper than water. Just going to leave it at that.

John

Other programs are better

I came and made some really great friends and saw some really amazing places, but it was hard because most NYU kids knew each other coming in, and they are pretentious and rude. Also classes are a joke and NYU offered me no help when I desperately needed to go to the doctor. Prague is an amazing city, but go on a different program.

No, I don't recommend
Ingrid

reputable programme in a fun location

NYU has a range of other study abroad programmes but this is an increasingly popular option. Lots of fun in a city that is not as expensive as other 'traditional' study abroad programmes, i.e. London/Rome.

N.

Great Program

I loved my time in Prague. Classes were only four days a week, so we had ample opportunity to travel. I visited Amsterdam, Poland, France, Spain, Germany, Slovakia, Austria, and Morocco. NYU also offers fantastic (free) trips within the Czech Republic, so I really got to experience the whole country.

Made some wonderful friends during my five months. I still keep in touch with many of them. I would highly recommend this program to anyone.

KariReports

An Amazing Semester Abroad!

I studied abroad in Prague back in 2006 and I STILL find myself talking about it. If you want to study abroad in Prague, then this is definitely the program to do. The professors are amazing, hilarious, and understand that studying while abroad is often times about learning outside of the classroom.

As for life in Prague and the social scene at NYU, you can't really do much better. Unlike other programs in Prague, NYU's is self-contained in its own cute building, not part of a larger Czech university like Charles U. This definitely makes a big difference in fostering relationships with other students, as do the NYU-only dorms.

I lived in Osadni, which is a bit further out than some of the other living options, but I loved it and I hear that what was then an up and coming neighborhood is now an artist hub. There's a lot of good Czech food around as well! The only thing that was rough was the freezing winter and the commute into school when it was that cold out.

All in all, my time at NYU in Prague was definitely well spent, both in and out of the classroom!

About NYU Global Programs

NYU Global Programs provides study abroad experiences at 11 academic centers in Accra, Ghana; Berlin, Germany; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Florence, Italy; London, England; Madrid, Spain; Paris, France; Prague, Czech Republic; Sydney, Australia; Tel...