Liberal Arts in London

Ceiling in a London train station
Ceiling in a London train station

The London Centre offers multi-disciplinary courses in the liberal arts and humanities. Each course places an important emphasis on experiential learning, transforming the entire city of London into your classroom by incorporating several local outings and excursions. Courses take advantage of the world class galleries and museums like the National Portrait Gallery, Tate Modern, the Cabinet War Rooms, the Churchill Museums and, of course, the British Museum, which is just a short walk from the GEO London Centre. Each term, students have the opportunity to experience London’s rich theater options, from the West End productions to smaller, fringe productions with big name actors like Sir Ian McKellen, Dame Judi Dench and Sir Patrick Stewart, as well as younger stars like David Tennant and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Amanda

Unforgettable

Yes "Unforgettable" is one of those "Well duh!" descriptions about spending three months living in a city you've always wanted to travel to. But I truly cannot think of a better descriptive word or phrase to sum up this whole experience. Not unless I take you through my life there in painstaking detail accompanied by nearly 2000 pictures, each and every single one worth a thousand words. Don't worry I'll spare every one that review. This is not something that can be recreated or mimicked. You get to live in London, and if you do an internship like I did work in London, but with all the big terrifying things like bills and housing and other adult stuff already taken care of. It's not possible to bored as long as you're willing to step outside your door because there is always something to see, something to do while there. If you somehow manage to get bored of London the rest of the UK and Europe await. Just a train or ridiculously cheap plane ride away. The professors are people who know what they teach backwards and forwards and have the most fascinating life stories. The host families are caring and kind and full of knowledge and questions. The staff at the center is personable and wonderful.

I wanted to study abroad from the time I was in middle school, and this program was everything I could have hoped for and more. It was an experience that changed me, in the best way possible.

The one thing that got rather annoying was that there were days when I would have to bring a big bag to class because I had my internship that day and then right after finishing at my internship I would have to go a play. Those days were extremely long and quite exhausting and having a large bag at a play was rather inconvenient.
Madison

I had a fantastic time in London!

This program truly goes above and beyond. It exceeded my expectations in so many wonderful ways. We got to go on excursions all over the UK, seeing everything from castles to Scottish countryside to cast footprints that are copies of actual prints left behind by when dinosaurs roamed Britain. We learned about Shakespeare and got to see many of his plays. We even got to stand on stage at the Globe! We learned about British politics and got to attend political gatherings both in London and Edinburgh. We walked in the footsteps of many great writers, including Mary Wollstonecraft and Virginia Woolf. You get a little bit of everything in this program, and it all combines to create a truly amazing, memorable experience.

I also did an internship while I was in London. Doing an internship was an excellent way to meet British folks and get to know British culture. You get the opportunity to learn a lot about a field you are interested in and make connections that will last for years to come. I recommend doing an internship because you get to meet great people and see another side to British culture that you just don't get inside the classroom.

Overall, this program was amazing. I highly recommend it!

The only thing I would improve is possibly the timing of outings. Sometimes we wouldn't get back from plays until after midnight, and it sometimes felt weird to be walking back in the dark on empty streets.
Ella

Spring Semester in London

I had a wonderful time in London last spring. The program was incredible and we got to go all over the UK on excursions with the tutors. While classes and group outings were great, the best part of my study abroad was definitely the internship. I was doing work that has helped to build my professional portfolio and will eventually be a huge asset when I begin applying for jobs!
Also, London was an amazing place to spend a few months and I am counting down the days until I can go back! This was the perfect program, very well located, with great tutors and an even better schedule of events.

The housing could be more centrally located, but because cost of living in London is so expensive I can see why the program houses students outside of zone 4.
Madison

London Liberal Arts

I loved my experience with GEO London. One of my favorite memories was seeing Hamlet at the Globe Theatre on Shakespeare's 400th birthday/day of his death.

Our entire class went to see the performance together. We stood in the Yard, which made us feel like were truly living in Shakespeare's time. The theatre's atmosphere was so energetic and lively. The production had just returned from a year long world tour. They had just returned to London and were preforming for the first time. The actors acted with such passion and enthusiasm, despite having preformed the play dozens of times.

After the performance, I left the theatre energized and glowing with happiness. I felt so lucky to be able to experience such a historical moment in the birthplace of Shakespeare. It is a memory I will never forget.

Nothing, I enjoyed every moment!

Alumni Interviews

About GEO Study Abroad

At Global Education Oregon, we create pathways to international, experiential learning for students, faculty, and university partners. Founded on the belief that international engagement is integral to developing global citizens, we prepare students...