Theatre Summer School in Bath (England)

Students live in Georgian and Victorian townhouses in the centre of the city.
Students live in Georgian and Victorian townhouses in the centre of the city.
The Acting classes take place in a dedictaed performance space
The Acting classes take place in a dedictaed performance space
The Theatre School visits the RSC in Stratford and top London productions.
The Theatre School visits the RSC in Stratford and top London productions.

Students with a passionate interest in theatre and performance can enroll for ASE's Theatre Summer School, where they learn, rehearse and perform alongside both British and American students over five-weeks in the beautiful World Heritage City of Bath.

Students take two classes. "Acting British Style" is a practical performance school. The class includes a Masterclass with a top-flight British actor or director. Students also take "Not Just Shakespeare: British Theatre History". The classes are led by experienced UK and US faculty.

Aside from attending theatres in Bath and Bristol, students will spend a weekend in Stratford-on-Avon the town of Shakespeare's birth, and overnight in London attending selected plays in each location. Participants are housed in historic townhouses throughout the city centre, within easy walking distance of the Roman Baths, the Abbey, galleries, museums, and an array of pubs and restaurants.

The deadline to apply is February 15th, 2017

Abbie

Life Changing Experience

As a technical theatre student, I never really got on stage. The tutors were fantastic in helping my stage fright and get up on stage and be in the spotlight for once. I was the least skilled in acting, but the group of students never let me feel left out when I didn't know what I was doing. The tutors and the students all worked with me on any questions I had.
At Advanced Studies, they take their academics very seriously. There is always attendance being taken and you have reading every night along with papers, shows, and projects to work on in the evening. Mash that in with the built in 10 or so Theatrical Productions you go to see as part of the programme, you don't have a ton of time to relax. Don't go to this expecting a vacation or a summer camp. I'm not saying that you don't get any time to have fun. We spent a weekend in Stratford on Avon and London and had day trips to Stonehendge, Glastonbury, and Oxford. And you get 2 weekends off to do whatever you want!
In class, you have a ton of fun. We learned Shakespearean acting, Restoration Acting, Contemporary British Acting, and we made our own devised piece. We got to learn how to do a real British accent from a real British Tutor. We got the chance to dress up in period restoration costumes. With the small class size we were able to go on group field trips around Bath and experience it as an actor. We learned British Theatre History from a real British Theatre Historian who played games with us to get down the time periods and told us amazing stories.
Let's see, I think that's it. If you're seriously considering this, go, it will change your life and impact you in ways you wouldn't even imagine. You'll learn about theatre and see theatre and meet amazing people.

Make the Summer School longer, 6 weeks isn't enough to fully immerse yourself into Bath. There are so many things I didn't get the chance to do.

Location:
Manchester
( MAN )
Birmingham
( BHX )

From Buzzing London to tranquil Grasmere, England is accommodating to all different travelers. If you are here to see the tourist destinations, London will gladly keep you busy; however, if you want get off the beaten path, rent a car and drive around to get a true look at England -- don't forget to stay on the left side of the road!

Staff Interviews

About Advanced Studies in England

Advanced Studies in England is a small study abroad program based in the World Heritage city of Bath, in southwest England (an hour-and-a-half's train ride from London). We offer single semester, full year and a five-week Summer School to a cohort of...