USAC England: London

USAC England: London

Ever wanted to study abroad in London, England? Then check out USAC's summer term option 'Arts, Literature and International Business Studies' at the Imperial College London or the semester/academic year term option for undergraduates at London Metropolitan University! Imperial College London tied Oxford University as the fifth best University in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. London Metropolitan University is the largest single University in all of London. Both offer great course options in differing fields, and both allow students to explore London, the United Kingdom, and many European must-sees!

• Live and study in the heart of London, one of the world’s greatest cities and host of the 2012 Summer Olympics
  • Explore endless entertainment options—theatre, film, music, 90 free museums and galleries, 143 parks and gardens, dozens of historic buildings, shopping, eating out—enough to see and do to last a lifetime!
  • Savor access to famous sights and attractions, from the Tower of London to Westminster Abbey
  • Enjoy London’s vibrant position in the center of the British film, arts, and music scene, with a rich cultural and historic heritage as well as a modern centre of global business
Europe » England » London
Visa Requirement
London

Jennifer
University of Idaho

Everything I wanted and More!

Finally I had a chance to go to the UK and as a bonus I could pay for it with student loans. I spent 6 weeks in the UK. We landed in Edinburgh and stayed for about 5 days. Then we took the train to London where we attended Imperial College for 5 weeks. Imperial College was amazing. The ladies who coordinated our plans in the UK were wonderful and planned so many activities that were already on my wish list, saving me time and effort. Even with everything they had planned and the classes I attended, I still had plenty of time to see and learn all I wanted in this wonderful country. USAC runs an amazing program and I hope to use them again next summer to see Italy. Take the time and study abroad!

I could have used more hours in the day, but that can't be fixed. I can't think of anything.

Jackie
Chicago, IL
Loyola University Chicago

Studying Abroad in London

I loved my time in London and am so thankful for the opportunity. I loved walking around the city. Going on walks made me really get to know the city and by the end of my time there I felt as if I was completely immersed.

It seriously felt as if life in London never stopped moving. There were concerts every night, pubs on every corner, free museums, fashion shows, markets, award shows and so many historical buildings. There were so many things to do that I couldn't accomplish them all in the four months I was there.

It was truly a life changing experience. The only problem I ever had was coming up with enough money to do all of the things I wanted to do. It's a very expensive city but in my opinion, well worth it.

The only improvement I would make would be to have more assistance in locating cheaper housing. I paid a lot of money for where I lived and after arriving in London, I realized that I may have been able to get a cheaper option if I had known more about what was available to me.

Eileen
Tracy, California
California State University- Stanislaus

One of the BEST decisions I've made!!!

I've always heard exciting stories of students studying abroad and have personally known two close friends who have went to Italy and France. Even then I just never thought that I could take the plunge myself. Both my friends were very outgoing and adventurous, an attribute I thought was necessary to participate in such a program. However, there was always a part of me that longed to live, learn, and experience the world beyond my comfortable bubble. At first, there was so many excuses I made in my head that made me doubt, but the advisers at USAC really helped me to see that studying abroad isn't as scary as I thought. They always replied efficiently to any of my questions, were at the office to ease my anxiety, and provided support from other study abroad students. I'm glad to say that this work ethic really continued on at London. They did a wonderful job of providing opportunities to meet up with other USAC students to tour some amazing places (Greenwich and Hampton Court) and see some amazing plays. In addition, they were always emailing us about different travel options and day trips that were within a student's budget which was great; and which I took full advantage of! Besides the care from the USAC staff, London itself was just as great as the stories.Despite my fears, it's so easy to meet new characters, make friends and just immerse yourself in the community. Having never used public transportation by myself before, I was amazed at how quickly I could navigate around on the tube, DLR, and buses. By the third week I was feeling like a native! I honestly believe that having the opportunity to live in another country - not just visit - is truly a life changing experience. While in some ways you realize that the world is so much bigger than you've imagined, it also teaches you that it is not as daunting. Past the pacific ocean there are so many interesting people and cultures that, once explored, will impact you for the better.

I think that the program could have been better improved if they provided more assistance on the school and its courses. Although they provided instructions on how to apply and what documents were needed, the actual courses was difficult. It was hard to chose classes that would transfer credit back to your home school. This caused a lot of anxiety because you didn't want to pick a class that didn't count and thus, put you back a semester. So it would be helpful, if you had the opportunity to sit down with a counselor or adviser to choose the classes together. And while you do have to get the signature from your professor, I think this process would ease a lot of the anxiety and confusion for the students.

USAC is a non-profit consortium of U.S. universities that collaborates to offer affordable, academic and authentic study abroad programs. There are abundant opportunities to immerse in the culture, history, and academics of other countries providing an unforgettable experience. Each program is designed to help you