Summer School 2017 at the University of Brighton in England

Summer School 2017 at the University of Brighton in England

This four week intensive summer program explores the British Education system. It is suitable for teachers and education majors, and worth six credits. Participating students will visit local schools, all of which cater from a range of socio-economic and special educational needs. Integrated into this on-site school based work will be a series of teaching and learning workshops and seminars. The relationship between culture and education is reflected in the program and enhanced by organized field trips to Bath/Stonehenge and Oxford/Stratford-upon-Avon.

Accommodation comprises of self-catering halls of residences, single rooms with internet, en-suite shower and toilet, 6-8 rooms per apartment, with shared kitchen, spacious living area with TV and use of laundry and on-site gym facilities.

We offer an on-site orientation and pride ourselves on offering outstanding student support.

The dates of the program are Monday 3rd July - Friday 28th July

Optional Field Trips

As part of our programming, we're proud to offer our students optional field trips at a very affordable price. Sit back, let us do the planning and let's explore the UK!

• London: a fully escorted day through England’s exciting capital city. See all the major sights with plenty of free time, too
  • East Sussex: day tour by mini-bus of the countryside and places of scenic and historical interest in the area east of Brighton
  • Bodiam Castle and Rye: a day trip by mini-bus through parts of Sussex and Kent -- a classic medieval castle in a picturesque setting (surrounded by a moat!)
  • Oxford and Stratford-Upon-Avon: a lovely weekend trip exploring historic cities and castles
  • Bath & Stonehenge: a weekend trip to Bath, a world Heritage city, famous for its Georgian architecture and Roman Baths and to Stonehenge, the world famous ancient stone circle
Europe » England » Brighton
Europe » England
Direct Enrollment
Statement of Purpose
Age Requirement
Language Requirement
GBP
The cost includes teaching, classroom and cultural activities, workshops, school visits, cultural visits, entrances, administration and accommodation. As a special 2017 promotion the field trips to Bath/Stonehenge and Oxford/Stratford-upon-Avon will be included in the cost of the program.

Erin

Summer Abroad at University of Brighton 2017

I had a great experience studying abroad at University of Brighton. Naturally, I was a little nervous to study abroad because I had never traveled outside of the United States alone. However, it paid off because it turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. The teachers were amazing, and I learned so much that I will be able to use in my future job. The program coordinators in Brighton, Becca and Mary, were a great source of support throughout our trip. They were so helpful and brought us on all of the fun weekend trips. I felt like I could come to them to ask questions any time. Overall, I learned tools to use in my own classroom and had fun adventures that I would have never experienced at home. Embracing the British culture, and seeing all of these historical sites was really a once in a lifetime experience. I am so glad I chose this program!

Hailee
North Aurora, IL

Best time of my life

I've always wanted to study abroad, and I thought this would be the most perfect opportunity. It's only a short amount of time and an English speaking country. What I didn't realize how much I would learn about the culture and adapt to the British way of life. This has been the biggest life changing experience I have had yet. Going to college you learn how to be on your own and grow as a person and I thought after my first year I did the biggest amount of my "growing" little did I know what a big impact this program was going to have on me. The things I learned in my classes and the things I learned talking to locals I will not be able to get anywhere else.

Longer!

Amy

Hands Down-THE BEST

This experience was hands down one of the best experiences of my life. I traveled to England with 7 strangers, and we all left as 7 great friends! England helped me grow as an individual and as a teacher. I remember our professors (Kate and Dave) telling us, "Now, you can sit in any classroom and learn, but there is only one way to truly learn. Get out and explore! Find out what this world as to offer... so why are you still sitting in our room...go explore...go...I mean it...go!!!" Those words are words that I live by today. Each day we made our own adventures whether that was going to downtown Brighton, exploring Paris for three days, or going to Bath, we made the most of our trip.

There is so much I want to tell you about how amazing this trip was from the fish and chips (I still crave these) to the friendly people helping us navigate public transportation to the intricate architecture to the delicious Paris crepes....I could go on forever. The world was waiting outside our dorm room doors and just waiting for us to explore!

When I was heading home at the end of July in 2014, excitement set in when I realized that my family would be waiting for me at the airport. After showing my family all the pictures, telling them all the stories, and giving them their gifts, my joy wore off. It hit me; I was back to reality. Within only a few days, I already missed the adventure and the adrenaline rush I felt each day the past three weeks. Each day a new adventure was waiting for us to discover. Now, back in my hometown, living the daily life again, I realize there is no European adventure waiting for me when I wake up but there is something I can discover each day whether that is within others or myself. Not being able to explain my experience is one challenge I still have. So many people have asked me about my trip, and I just simply reply, “It was amazing! Nothing like I could have ever imagined.” Showing my family and friends pictures and telling them stories may help them understand a little bit of my experience, but I know that no word I say or image I show them will help them fully understand the whole experience. Something changed in me. Something made me realize the little joys in life, the feeling that everything will be okay, the sense that there is more than one way to reach a goal, and the independence and strength I have had in myself all along.

There is no better experience than studying abroad especially in England. You will learn how life in England is much more laid back; people take life as it comes. In parks, people are not on their phones, but instead they are enjoying each other's company. You will learn how things that may be different from how you do something is not wrong but just different (example: driving on the left side of the road, using pounds instead of dollars, navigating public transportation). Last but not least, you will learn who you are as a person. I have no doubt in my mind that you will walk away from this experience a changed person. Trust me. You will.

As Kate and Dave would say, "Now, you can sit in any classroom and learn, but there is only one way to truly learn. Get out and explore! Find out what this world as to offer, so why are you still sitting in our room...go explore...go...I mean it...go!!!" (so why are you still reading this...go!) :)

If I had to change one thing, it would probably be to experience a little bit more of the England educational system by tutoring and exploring different schools. Honestly, I am more than pleased with my experience! This is one of the reasons I promoted the England program to the next summer's applicants (summer of 2015).

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your comments.
Within the time constraints of the programme we endeavour to strike a balance between time spent in the classroom, time spent on cultural activities and time spent visiting schools. We hope that in the main we get this right!

Amanda

Brighton University Has It All

My study abroad experience at Brighton University was extraordinary. The greenery and wild life are stunning. Escape is just a scheduled bus ride or train fair away to destinations I couldn't have known would change my life. I visited neighboring towns and found such a rich culture that is rarely seen at tourist attractions. Each day was an adventure and something new. My first week there was a Bollywood movie being filmed and suddenly I was an extra in the film. The next day I was exploring castle ruins. My heart was in a constant state of fluttering with each new experience. School was no different. The staff was warm and welcoming. The support and motivation was constantly present. I saw moments of learning that altered my entire teaching philosophy. I received first hand experience with inclusion and diversity that I was lacking in the states. Most importantly, I felt at home. As an untraditional student I didn't feel at home on campus until I attended Brighton University. My only regret was the limited time I spent there. No other university program could offer the sensations, views, and academic rigor that Brighton can.

The fieldtrips were so lengthy and time consuming. My weekends were eaten up by them and by the time we returned to campus we had class and school work. I found it hard to balance my academic life, my tourist life, and my student life. Perhaps being able to customize my fieldtrip experience would help. It shouldn't be an all or nothing option. I didn't necessarily want to do everything that the one trip offered. I wanted more exploring time which was hindered by having to be somewhere by some time one after the other. I'd like the ability to opt out of certain ventures included in the fieldtrip once there.

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry that you found the field trips a bit time-consuming. We endeavour to find a balance between guiding students so we can share our knowledge about a town/historical site with them and giving them enough free time to explore. We will certainly make it clearer to students in the future that if they want to opt out of certain parts of the trip to free up more time for themselves they can.

Kelsey
Bloomington Normal, Illinois
University of Brighton

Summer 2015

During my time in Brighton, I felt not only like I was passing through this city but that I belonged here. I loved going into town with my friends and exploring the streets of Brighton, and also the many pubs. Singing karaoke at Ye Old King and Queens was one of my favorite memories, although I don't think the other patrons enjoyed hearing Party in the USA. Visiting the schools of Brighton was another activity that I really enjoyed. Comparing and contrasting the schools to those in America was really interesting!

I would change the weekend trips. I really enjoyed these trips and the chance to see Stonehenge. However, I would have liked the possibility of visiting another country or further exploring Brighton.

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your comments.
Hopefully by extending the summer programme 2017 to four weeks which we intend to do, you will have an extra weekend in which to plan a trip to another country.

Sam

London Trip

We spent a whole day in London. I remember running frantically all over the city to see as much as possible. Of course it was nearly impossible to see everything in one day, but everyone was so excited it was hard not to try. We made it to long in about 2 hours, so we were there by around 11 am. We were allowed to stay as long as we wanted, but we had to make sure we were back to get sleep for class the next day. We spent the whole day down there, and I remember how absolutely exhausted I was but it was worth it. We saw Big Ben, Tower Bridge, the London Eye, changing of the guards, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament and so much more. It is an experience that I will never forget and one that is a once in a life time opportunity. Becka and Mary were fantastic. They showed us all around the city and then let us go out on our own to explore. I can't stress enough how wonderful they were, and how personable they were. If you have questions ask because they are always more than willing to share the answers with you!

One way to improve would maybe be to add on a few days of the trip for students to go out on their own more. Especially the london trip.

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your comments.
Due to the intensive nature of the programme we have to fit a lot in to a short space of time; both in terms of teaching and the cultural activities. Unfortunately time restraints mean we can only offer one organised trip to London, however we would encourage students to go back to explore further our huge, vibrant capital city on their 'free' afternoons. We are planning on extending the summer school 2017 programme to 4 weeks which means there should be more time in which to do this.

Ashley

Brighton Study Abroad

My experience in Brighton is one I will always remember. Although my time in Brighton was short I made a lifetime worth of memories. Before leaving I knew no one I was traveling with; however, I quickly became good friends with everyone. Being only a bus ride away from the center of Brighton was amazing. The staff at the University of Brighton was extremely welcoming and made sure that we experienced everything we could. The classes were unlike anything I had been in before, which made attending class much more fun and engaging. If I had the opportunity I would go back to Brighton in a heartbeat.

I wish we had more free time to explore Brighton and the surrounding areas.

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your comments.
Due to the intensive nature of the programme, we have to fit a lot into a short space of time! In order for you to be able to see all the places of interest we think you would like to, we can only schedule one accompanied visit to each place during the programme. However we do encourage students to travel on their 'free' afternoons, whether that be further exploration of Brighton or to the nearby towns of Lewes or Arundel.

Kaity

Life Changing Experience!

Going to Brighton, England was the first time I ever traveled out of the United States and it was the best experience of my life. During this trip I made some of the best memories of my life and also best friends. The staff at the University was so helpful and I never felt alone or unsafe! The trips you take will take your breath away and I I could not of asked for anything better! Going on this trip changed my life and my academic career! Go to Brighton and have the best experience of your life! You will not regret it!

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your comments and for sharing with us that the summer programme at the University of Brighton has had such a positive impact on both your academic and personal life.

Travis
Illinois State University

An experience you cannot miss

This trip provides you so many amazing experiences. I look back at this trip and am so glad I took upon this opportunity to embrace another culture. One moment I will never forget is when we went to observe in a school. One of the classes I sat in on was a music classroom. The teacher asked if I could play a song for the students and I couldn't say no. It was an amazing moment for me to be thrown into that classroom like that. It was at that point on the trip that I truly felt connected with the people and the culture.

I feel that there is nothing that I would have changed for this trip. I was able to do so much and experience so much. I only wish it was longer.

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your comments. We're looking at extending the 2017 Summer School to four weeks!

Rebecca
Saint Charles, Illinois

Time of my Life

I had never been out of the country before. Going to Brighton England was the best experience I could have ever had. I was lucky to have great staff and friends with me when I went over seas. I made some of my Best friends and learned a lot! I can't even wait to use the stuff I learned in the classroom one day. Being able to explore England was amazing. The weekend trips were beyond worth it. I experienced so much in such a short time and I could not have asked for anything else. Go to Brighton!! You won't regret it!

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your comments. We're so pleased to hear that your first experience abroad was such an enjoyable one.

Lauren
Wilmington, Illinois

Best Experience of My Life

My time spent in Brighton was an experience that I will never forget! The university is close enough to go visit the downtown life of Brighton and see what the culture is like. The staff at the university are super helpful and want you to make the best out of your experience abroad. The classes were very engaging and unlike normal college lectures. Overall, my experience studying abroad at the University of Brighton was all that I thought it would be and more. Be sure to make the most out of your experience and be sure to try some fish and chips!

I loved this program, but if I had to change one thing, it would be to offer more scheduled trips to London.

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your comments.
Due to the intensive nature of the programme, we have to fit a lot into a short space of time! In order for you to be able to see all the places of interest we think you would like to, we can only schedule one accompanied visit to each place during the programme. However we do encourage students to travel on their 'free' afternoons, whether that be to London or to the nearby towns of Lewes or Arundel.

Maddi
Chicago, IL
Illinois State University

Do not pass up this amazing opportunity!

I completed this study abroad program the summer before my senior year of college. It was my parents' graduation gift to me, and it was the best gift I will ever receive. I didn't know anyone prior to leaving for Brighton, but quickly made friends with the huge group I traveled with. We had a great time in our classes and really enjoyed our instructor, Kate. The staff planned awesome side trips and experiences for us, and really took the time to get to know us. Becca and Mary are wonderful hostesses, and I still think of them often and miss them! I wish I could relive my trip to Brighton. I will definitely be returning soon!

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your comments. We're so glad to hear you remember your time in Brighton so fondly.

Kirsten

Statue Workshop

One of my favorite experiences during my study abroad opportunity in Brighton was the drama class we took. This class was all about how creativity through story telling can bring out the most unique imagination experiences in students. My favorite story we told was when we were given a picture of a statue and we had to create a story for it. Even college age students were coming up with the most out of this world stories. I don't think we would have come up with even half the ideas we did if we had just simply read a book about the statue. This class and my overall experience studying abroad in Brighton opened my eyes to a whole new style and way of teaching students in this changing educational world.

My only wish for what we could have done is had more time in the actual school setting as we were taking our different classes. During my month long study abroad experience we took many amazing field trips to all over England which each were life changing in their own way. However, we only went to the schools once. I wish we could have gone a couple more days to really start to grasp how education in England is similar or different to that of American education.

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We have since incorporated into the programme three visits into schools, in order for the students to gain a more thorough overview of how the English education system works.

The University of Brighton is a community of over 21,000 students and 2,600 staff based on five campuses in Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings.

Our Study Abroad Programme offers international students the opportunity to enroll in a variety of courses across the different schools for a