Study Abroad at the University of Brighton in England

Study Abroad at the University of Brighton in England

We offer semester and yearlong program, with the opportunity to take classes from a variety of subjects.

Our team, Mary, Zoe and Becca, are on hand to help make your study abroad experience be the best of your lifetime. As well as onsite orientation and class enrollment, we arrange and attend field trips with you to London, Oxford & Stratford, Bath & Stonehenge and Paris, as well as a couple of local trips.

Brighton is a great hub to travel, with Gatwick Airport only 30 minutes by train and London just 50 minutes by train.

Nicknamed, London-by-the-sea, when you're not studying or travelling around Europe, there is so much to do in Brighton itself. Famous for it's cosmopolitan Laines, with independent shops and cafes spilling out onto the streets; music, art and food festivals; nightlife and more.

Optional Field Trips

As part of our programming, we're proud to offer our students optional field trips at a very affordable price. Sit back, let us do the planning and let's explore the UK!

• London: a fully escorted day through England’s exciting capital city. See all the major sights with plenty of free time, too
  • East Sussex: day tour by mini-bus of the countryside and places of scenic and historical interest in the area east of Brighton
  • Paris: a long weekend across the pond!? Yes please! We'll be taking the euro-tunnel to Calais and staying within walking distance to the Eiffel Tower
  • Bodiam Castle and Rye: a day trip by mini-bus through parts of Sussex and Kent -- a classic medieval castle in a picturesque setting (surrounded by a moat!)
  • Oxford and Stratford-Upon-Avon: a lovely weekend trip exploring historic cities and castles
  • Bath & Stonehenge: a weekend trip to Bath, a world Heritage city, famous for its Georgian architecture and Roman Baths and to Stonehenge, the world famous ancient stone circle
Europe » United Kingdom
Language Requirement

Kimberly
Chicago Illinois

Amazing School and City

Brighton is the absolute perfect place to study abroad. The city is amazing and you instantly feel at home and at ease. There is so much to do, and if you're coming from a big city or a small town, you will find your place in Brighton. Mary, Becca, and Zoe of the study abroad team and all of my professors were excellent, friendly, and made an effort to get to know me. This program also really stands out from other study abroad programs because of the field trips. They were affordable (sometimes free!), so much fun, and gave me a chance to see things I never would have seen otherwise. I wouldn't trade my study abroad experience at Brighton for the world and wish I could have had all four years of University in such an amazing place.

Response from University of Brighton

We're glad you enjoyed your time in Brighton and you feel the field trips enhanced your study abroad experience - they give the students the opportunity to see places they may not otherwise get to see. We hope to see you back here one day!

Bailey
Brighton

Best Decision I've Ever Made

I always wanted to study abroad in England so after being told about Brighton, I knew thats where I wanted to study. It is such an amazing town, you have the city with all the shopping, while also having the sea two steps away. The University is great for students coming abroad because the Study Abroad team is AMAZING. They make sure you feel comfortable every step of the way. They are there to help with picking classes and also just to have a chat if your feeling homesick! Couldn't of asked for a better support team for my year abroad. The teachers at Brighton Uni are also so helpful and understanding, they genuinely care about students doing well. Brighton will always have a special place in my heart, I couldn't imagine studying abroad anywhere else.

Nothing, it is amazing!

Response from University of Brighton

Hey Bailey! We're really pleased to hear your positive feedback and to hear that you felt you were well supported. That is really important to all the staff here at the University of Brighton.
Happy to hear that Brighton will always have a special place in your heart! Hope to see you back here one day.

allison
Washington
Boise State University

Come to Brighton!

I have absolutely loved my time at Brighton University. By going through USAC, I was able to meet people both from England and the States. The dorms were nice, nothing fancy, but nothing bad. The campuses are beautiful. The city is amazing. I have no complaints. Be prepared to get comfortable taking public transportation and to do a decent amount of walking. BUT -also be prepared to have the best 4 months of your life.

Response from University of Brighton

Mary, Becca and I are so glad you've had the 'best 4 months of your life' - that's what we aim for!

Megan

Such An Amazing Experience!

I thoroughly enjoyed my semester abroad studying at the University of Brighton. Although Brighton is still a city, it is not so big that it is overwhelming. I found it very easy to get around on the public transportation. The study abroad staff at the University of Brighton are so great; they were always so kind and helpful whenever I had a question or needed to talk to someone. The classes I found to be fascinating and did well to give me a new perspective on the world and other cultures. I met so many awesome people during my time here that came from various places from my home country as well as other countries. I enjoyed all the trips that the program here offers as well, they were so cool in getting to see various parts of England and Paris. My favorite memory would be the Bath and Stonehenge trip since we had the opportunity to see another British city, further build upon the new friendships, and see a beautiful place like the Stonehenge. This program impacted my life in such a huge way; I gained a broader perspective on the world, international friendships, and a new found love for traveling.

At this time I cannot think of a way that the program could be improved, since I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Response from University of Brighton

I'm so glad this programme had impacted your life so positively. We hope you return home with some incredible memories and as you say, some new 'international' friendships.

Vera
Germany
University of Brighton

Best experience in my life!

To study at the University of Brighton for one semester has been the best decision I have ever made! I had a great time, got to know many people and even made friends I am able to visit now when I travel. During my stay I found a second home in this beautiful city.

The University of Brighton offers such a great variety of courses and I attended classes that prepared me perfectly for what I would like to work in when I finish my studies back in Germany next summer. I learnt a lot during the lectures and enjoyed the different tasks we had to do. The study abroad program is one I can highly recommend, the employees from the study abroad offices are the loveliest girls I ever got to know. No matter, what you want to know they help you with everything. :) I enjoyed the field trips and saw many new places. I even felt more in love with this beautiful country.

If you ever want to study abroad decide to go to the University of Brighton!

Response from University of Brighton

We've loved having you here Vera! I'm so glad you feel you have benefited from your time at the University of Brighton.

Kiera Danielle
Kiera
Kenmore, NY
University at Buffalo- SUNY

Most Amazing Experience

In Fall 2012, I did the Study Abroad in Brighton England, and I couldn't speak more highly of it. The study abroad program itself was fantastic, where we had a trip that was pre-planned by the program; places I don't think I would have stopped to go to had I planned it myself. The stay over trips always had lovely accommodations, and friendly transportation & support. In addition to the trips that were included, I had the opportunity to make trips of my own with the flexible school schedule. I went to Scotland, Spain, and a few other excursions. Seeing as this is a STUDY abroad program, I feel it's important to speak to the actual University of Brighton. My classes there were amazing. I took a film course, 2 literature courses, and the required British Culture course. All of which were amazing. If you have the opportunity to take the film course with Mr. Pilbrow, I highly recommend it as it was an absolute joy. You have to take public transportation to get to most things from the school, but being from NY this was no big deal. Someone who has never done it before would have no problem at all. Lastly, I can not thank the study abroad staff, Mary & Becca , who made the entire trip/experience possible.

Response from University of Brighton

We're really happy to hear that both the opportunity to travel and your classes impacted so positively on your time spent at the University of Brighton.

Marissa
Denver, Colorado

Study Abroad in Brighton

My semester in Brighton was absolutely amazing! I had so much fun and made so many great friends. I really found a new home in Brighton. I loved all of the field trips we went on and really enjoyed emmersing myself more into the culture and history of England. The university was great and offered a wide variety of classes that aligned perfectly with my studies in Colorado. The city center was a great place to hang out, grab a bite, or hang out at the arcade. The program advisors were awesome and really made us feel welcomed in a new country and university. I lived on campus with 7 other flat mates and we each had our own bedroom and bathroom. The university supplied all of our bedding, towels, and kitchen items to lessen the burden of having to bring them or buy them ourselves. I would definitely recommend that you check out this program because it was the best experience of my life!

Response from University of Brighton

The 'best experience of your life' - we are so pleased to hear that and will continue to try and ensure that all future study abroad students at the University of Brighton feel the same.

Kathy
University of the Pacific

Life changing

Everything about this experience was life changing. My first time on a plane was to England. I didn't know a single soul. Somehow, by the end of the five months, I made life-long friendships with people all around the world, including England. Most of them were my international flatmates that shared their time with me in Brighton.

Beautiful, unique Brighton. If I could compare it to anywhere else, it would resemble San Francisco: cold/rainy and openly weird. It's the perfect place to be if you like art, music, and beer.

I wish I could better express how Brighton makes me feel. While I felt homesick at times, my only regret was not saying "yes" to go do things and see places more often.

I would have liked to live closer to town instead of on Falmer campus which is about a 20 minute bus ride if I remember correctly.

Response from University of Brighton

We're so glad to hear that your study abroad experience at the University of Brighton was 'life changing'.
We house our students on the Falmer campus in order for the study abroad students to have easy access to the office should they have any concerns or questions. Thanks for your comment, however. I hope you found the transport links efficient enough to travel to and from classes without any problem.

Alexis

As Nike says, JUST DO IT!! My experience - Fall 2012

To say this was one of the best experiences of my life would be a complete understatement! I had an amazing opportunity to study abroad with USAC program via my home university, California State University Chico. I decided to attend Brighton University because 1. I had always wanted to visit England due to the amazing English accents (typical) and 2. I wanted to have a unique experience and Brighton was right on the ocean. I had heard from many people it was like the San Francisco of England so I figured it would be my home away from home :)

I can go on and on how much of an amazing experience I had. From meeting people from all parts of the world, traveling to difference countries and attending fun planned field trips with my peers/ mentors (Mary and Becca), and just exploring Brighton itself with all the lovely pubs and the true English culture that it offered.

But what is most important for me to mention is how AMAZING both Becca and Mary were in my transition into settling in and enjoying my overall experience. I had quickly come to learn that no matter how "prepared" one can be, nothing will ever go the way expected and planned while traveling into a new environment.

Prior to arriving to Brighton, my University had provided a list of classes that were offered at Brighton and that would transfer credit back to my home University. On my first week of school at Brighton, a whole group of us had learned that the classes we originally selected were only offered Spring semester, not Fall. PANIC fled my body as I questioned what on earth was I going to do?? We were already missing the first week of studies at Brighton University and on top of it, I did not want to fall behind in school and be forced to take an extra semester back at home.

A group of us rushed to Mary and Becca's office in complete distress and frustration with this huge miscommunication. Now if I were them, I would have thought this group of students were complete frantic animals due to how scattered brained, lost and panicked we acted. Instead, they welcomed us in their office with their warm hearts and tea and told us not to worry. Everything was going to work out just fine, we just needed to take a deep breath and relax. It brings back a smile to my face reminiscing on the situation with how they calmly took charge and helped each and every one of us with finding substitute classes even if it took more time out of their personal day. It truly shows how much they really care and want every student to enjoy their overall experience. They are the true backbone of the program and made me feel so welcomed in my overall experience.

Overall, this program is amazing and I have no negative comments from my experience. One thing that I recommend which is just my personal opinion is that when it comes to the living situation on campus (which was simple, easy and overall very clean and safe), I would have liked to have the exchange students be spread out amongst the English students living on campus as well. I think this would be beneficial in meeting locals, receiving recommendations and experiencing places and things they are already familiar with, and overall just learning more about the English culture since your practically living with them. During my abroad experience all the exchange students were in the back section together, so we were all navigating the unknown like one blind dog leading the next lol it was still fun to say the least!

Response from University of Brighton

Thanks for the ringing endorsement! We're so happy coming to the University of Brighton was one of the best experiences of your life; and that Mary and Becca were instrumental in this.
Thank you for your comment about the living arrangements. The study abroad students 'time-frame' is different to the 'home students' so logistically it makes sense to house them all together. Hopefully the close proximity of the other flats allowed you to easily meet students of other nationalities, this as you say hugely enriches the experience.
Hopefully we'll see you for a visit soon!

Jenn
Orange County, California
California State University- Chico

Forever will be the best decision of my life

I decided to study abroad in Brighton because it was an english-speaking country, it was right on the ocean, and would offer me countless and amazing experiences. I studied here in the fall of 2014.

I was majoring in exercise science at the time, so I took one class at the Falmer campus, and then had to travel to Eastbourne to go to my other classes because Eastbourne is where the exercise science buildings are. Traveling to the Eastbourne campus from Paddock Fields (on Falmer campus) was kind of a pain because I had to walk to the train station, take the train for around 45 minutes, and then walk another 20ish minutes to class. However, this was when I found my love for trains, my love for travel... I was able to just sit on the train and look out the window, and it actually forced me to get out there and see more of England. The mandatory class, British Culture, was pretty easy and fun because we took it with our flatmates/other USAC students. The other two classes I took had very supportive professors that I still think about to this day.

Support wise, Becca and Mary were nothing short of amazing. Seriously. (PS. I Miss you guys!!) I don't know how they put up with us constantly, but they did. They are like your parents over there and we always had fun going to their office just to chat. Shoutout to you guys, and thank you for making our field trips unforgettable!

If I could rank "fun" on a scale of 1-10, it would be a 100. Seriously, I had the time of my life in Brighton. Whether it was traveling to class, hanging out with my flatmates, going downtown at night, visiting the beach and the Laines during the day, ice skating at the Royal Pavillion, and traveling on the weekends, it was fun all of the time. Honestly, the first couple weeks I barely slept because I didn't want to miss anything.

Housing was decent. I lived in a flat in Paddock Fields. The room is pretty small, with a bathroom/shower included. There is no barrier between the bathroom part and the shower part so that usually left for some wet floors. The bed was pretty small and uncomfortable. I lived on a flat with 7 other people, and there was a common area with couches, the kitchen, the tv, etc. The kitchen only had two mini fridgerators, which was a little too limited for 8 people living in one flat. However, I made some of my best friends to this day on that floor, and in Paddock Fields. It was in a good location on Falmer campus, and it was pretty. It was a bummer to do laundry because we had to walk outside to get to the laundromat and it was usually raining! Also just want to note that in order to get to the grocery stores downtown, you have to take a 20 minute bus ride, which can get rather tedious and frustrating when you have lots of bags of groceries and you have to travel outside with no car. There is a website (can't remember what it is called) where you can get groceries delivered though!

Safety was never an issue. I always felt safe in Brighton.

Overall, my experience in Brighton was one I will never forget. I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend you study abroad here. It is not as busy as London, but you still get the "city" feel, and it reminds me a lot of San Francisco. It is a lovely little quaint town right on the water with a fun pebbly beach, entertaining pubs (go to the Hobgoblin), and cute shops. I strongly suggest just riding the bus around one day to really take in the beauty Brighton and Hove have to offer. I learned so much about myself, about other cultures, and about England when I lived here. I also was lucky enough to travel to 12 other countries while I studied there, really broadening my horizons on Europe and the United Kingdom. I literally could go on and on about how amazing this study abroad experience was. You will have the time of your life, and will likely meet friends that you will be in contact with forever. I am forever grateful for the time I spent in Brighton, the experiences, and the friends I made.

I also wrote a blog while I studied abroad if you wanted to read it to get more detailed aspects and pictures of the trip: https://jennstudyabroad.wordpress.com

Response from University of Brighton

We're really glad you chose Brighton as your study abroad destination - that you found the 'professors supportive', 'Mary and Becca nothing short of amazing' and it ranked 100 on the fun scale! We're so pleased that you had such a great experience.
Thank you for your helpful comments.
We hope you were notified that the sports science classes were delivered at Eastbourne prior to your arrival, so it wasn't too much of a surprise! We hope what with the train travel to Eastbourne and the bus travel to the grocery store you are now a dab-hand at getting round Sussex on public transport!
We hope to see you back in Brighton one day.

Christopher
California State University- Stanislaus

2012-2013 - It felt like home.

I don't really know where to start. Its 5 years on and I still think about being there. The best decision I've made so far was spending a year in Brighton. Mary and Becca were brilliant, stopped by and seen them at least weekly, full of stories, helpful hints, information on acclimation. Plus they are both wonderful people. The Royal Pavilion Tavern was a home away from home, though it looks like they have changed some sense when me and my flat mates frequented the place. Bonfire night, 5th of November in Lewes. The things I remember most about that was a whole roasting pig, the smell of cordite from the cannons and smoke from the fires. Brighton its self is in a nice location, it was quick and easy to get into London and travel. I don't have any regrets about the decision to go. Educationally and personally it was the best decision I made.

P.s The stereotype about British food is a total lie, the food was AMAZING.

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your positive comments and we're glad five years on Brighton is still very much in your thoughts.
But most of all thank you for the ringing endorsement regarding British food!!

Shelley
CSU, Chico

I Miss It

There are a lot of people in my life who got married and pregnant a week after getting their high school diplomas, but I've always considered myself more of a wanderer. Brighton is perfect for just that: wandering. Mary and Becca have perfected the study abroad experience. They plan these fabulous trips, and you need to take every single one. One of the first things they do is help you learn the short and easy way to and around London, where I found myself several weekends. You might even be thinking that you would rather live in London; but Brighton's cheaper cost of living, pace, and location put me in the perfect position to be a student abroad. This study abroad experience is not just a photo op for Facebook or a checklist of places to see. It creates a hunger to get out of complacency and live somewhere new and exciting. Even now I'm thinking of how jealous I am that you have this opportunity. Don't let money, time, paperwork, or advice keep you from taking this chance. Saying yes to this, will help you say yes again. Don't be scared. However, if you are, talk to Mary and Becca!

Mary and Becca get this every year, but I wish the trip to Paris was longer! It's too perfect to be so short! But they have their reasons, bless them.

Response from University of Brighton

We're really happy to hear that Brighton satisfied your wanderlust!
Thank you for your comments. The study abroad staff are on hand to help you navigate your way through this new experience.
As you know cost and time restrictions can't allow for the Paris field trip to be any longer - we hope by coming on our two night trip we give you a 'taste' of what Paris has to offer and the confidence to return to it at a later date to explore further.

Aisha
Oxford UK
Deakin University

Open, friendly and an amazing city

The support from the study abroad team (aka Becca and Mary) at Brighton Uni is amazing. They're both so much fun, and are so happy to help. The University is a very open one, welcoming students from all around the world, and it was nice being the only Aussie in the programme, and being able to mix with students from Asia, the States and other parts of Europe too. I'm still friends with other students who I met, a couple of which were also study abroad students and a couple who were British students at the University of Brighton full time.
The range of subjects available is diverse, and I managed to find units that contributed directly to my major back home in Melbourne.

The only negative (although you could see it as a positive) was that I found the workload very light compared to my Melbourne University with very few official assessments compared to assessments almost every week back home. Made it easy to get through the year academically, but I personally would have rathered a more challenging syllabus!

Response from University of Brighton

I'm pleased to hear that you found the University to be 'welcoming' and 'open' and you have made 'international' friendships that I hope stay with you.
Thank you for your helpful comments about the workload - I hope the lack of challenge didn't spoil your time here.
We hope you come back to visit us one day!

Nathan
Melbourne, Australia
Deakin University

Book Brighton Now

Where to start!!? My time spent in Brighton was seriously the best! Such a great city with heaps to do and lots to see. Make sure u try a burger at burger brothers, see Brighton & Hove Albion play at The Amex (literally next door to the Falmer campus), have a drink or 10 at the King and queen, check out the great live music scene including the great escape festival and wonder through the north laines which is full of cool cafes and shops.
The people you meet and become good friends with make the whole experience ten times better and Mary and Becca really are the best. Only problem was that they love a good old cup of tea and still weren't able to get me liking it after 6 months. Lol but honestly I had a blast, and even got to visit another 12 countries in the middle of/after the program which was amazing

Response from University of Brighton

We're happy to hear that your time in Brighton was 'the best!' We hope for that for each and every study abroad student.
You'll have to come back to Brighton so that we can persuade you to try another cup of tea!

Julia
Cologne, Germany

I don't know what to title this, but go to Brighton!

Hi, I'm Julia and I studied abroad at the University of Brighton in the fall of 2014. If you're reading this because you are considering this program, I want to tell you: "Go do it!". Here's why:
Firstly, there is Becca and Mary. Without them I would not have been able to come to Brighton in the first place. There was no cooperation between my uni and the UoB, but Becca and I exchanged countless Emails until it was possible for me to study abroad in Brighton. Mary and Becca are generally just very supportive and so clearly love their jobs! They plan great little activities like Pizza parties and the field trips that allow you to explore some beautiful places in England.
Secondly, go for the city of Brighton. Brighton is not as hectic as London, but there is still a lot going on. My favorite things about Brighton are the seafront, the little cute and crazy shops and cafes and the music scene. There is usually a free concert somewhere!
Finally, this program will allow you to meet people from all over this planet. While I am from Germany, my flatmates were from the US, Japan and England. That was pretty cool!
I still like to think back to my time in Brighton, even two years later! :) I honestly could not imagine a better study abroad experience.

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you Julia for recommending this programme. We hope any potential JSA student reading your review decides to 'Go do it!' too.
We're really happy that your study abroad experience at the University of Brighton met with your expectations, and hope to see you back here one day for a visit.

Kyuwon
Seoul, South Korea

Literally Heaven

I studied at University of Brighton for a year in 2014. To be honest, I hadn't been really familiar with the city and the college before I got there, but I ended up totally loving this fascinating city, people, and its incredible atmosphere. Brighton, being located on the Southern seaside of England, is one of the most closest cities from London. Yet it holds it own distinctness which embraces all different ways of lifestyle, fashion, idea, and culture. The college is full of polite, but welcoming staffs and students from all around the world with their amazing life stories. I will never forget the moments I had there, people I got to know, streets I walked, and beers and teas I drank(maybe too much).

Response from University of Brighton

'Literally heaven' - what more to say!
We hope to see you for a visit one day. We'll have the kettle on!

Sabrina
Portland, OR
Portland State University

Life-changing!

I honestly feel like I grew through my experience there. Besides the fact that it was my first trip out of the US, I had the time of my life. The night life is great, and as soon as you find the place you want to go, its the best thing ever! The other students there are so helpful and friendly. Although it takes awhile to meet people and hang out, its definitely a great opportunity!
dont be afraid to get out of your comfort zone! I wish I would have done more in regard of exploring.
to be fair, the living situation was a bit off and there were complaints from other people, but I didn't mind it, really. The shower area in the rooms was my only true complaint. There was very little space to shave, if im being honest. XP

Paige
Roseville, California

Amazing Program

I was nervous about studying abroad but this program was everything I dreamed of and more! Becca and Mary were so helpful throughout the entire process. The town was so vibrant and close to other places. The classes were interesting and the professors made international students comfortable and welcome. The field trips were awesome and added so much to the program. If you're even thinking about doing this program- do it!

Stephanie
Danville, California
California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo

COME TO BRIGHTON

Studying in Brighton was the best decision I have ever made! Mary, Becca, and Zoe are super helpful and friendly. They set up your schedule for you, and they planned it out so the majority of us had 3 or 4 days of class per week. This meant that we had a lot of free days to travel. During my 3 months here, I was able to visit Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Denmark, and France. Brighton was very convenient for traveling. You can just hop on the train and it takes you directly to Gatwick Airport. Aside from personal travel, you have the Program Field Trips. I went to all of them and I think they are 100% worth going to. I went to places that I never would've gone on my own! Becca and Mary give you plenty of free time to wander the cities on the field trips as well. As tempting as it is to travel all across Europe, make sure to spend quality time in Brighton. It's the cutest little city with a picturesque pier. There's so much to do, whether you go to afternoon tea or shop around in the Lanes, and everyone is so friendly! There's a train that takes you from campus right into Brighton, and there are constant buses that do the same! I've met some amazing people and had the time of my life here in Brighton!

It would have been cool to live in a dorm with a mix of both international and British students.

Becca
LA, CA
California State University- Northridge

Best Decision Ever!

I decided to study abroad at the University of Brighton for the 2015-2016 school year and it was one of the greatest decisions that I've ever made! Mary and Becca are some of the best advisors that I've had, and they were always there for me whenever I emailed them or stopped by their office. You can tell that they love their job and really care about the students that come to the University. Brighton is also just a great place to live. The beach, shopping, general atmosphere, and people make it one of the most vibrant towns I've ever lived in! Also, the hour train journey to London is a big plus. I've only been back to America for three months and I already miss it! Another great aspect about this program is the many field trips that they offer. If you have the opportunity and means to go on the field trips, do it! Mary and Becca do a great job coordinating these and it's a great bonding experience with other students and will bring you closer to everyone. I met some of the best people while in England, and I know that I'll stay friends with them for life. Even though it gets like, super cold in the winter, I'd give anything to sit on that pebble beach again!

I think immersing study abroad students with other British students would have been beneficial for us. All of the study abroad students are placed into the same building essentially, which is great for bonding us together, but doesn't let us get to know the locals as much!

Casey
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
University of Idaho

University of Brighton study abroad review

After making the decision to study abroad, I am so glad that I chose to go to the University of Brighton. The atmosphere of the college was amazing and the Mary and Becca in the study abroad office were amazing. I would fly back to England just to see them again. I met some friends that will be my friends for a lifetime, and the field trips offered to Paris, Stonehenge, Oxford, etc. were all very fun to go on. I would go back in a heart beat and would recommend this school and this experience to anyone!

I feel that this program doesn't have much room for improvement because I thought it was amazing as is! If I could suggest an improvement would be getting to spend more time with our advisers Mary and Becca because seeing them once or twice a week was not enough because of how amazing they were.

Bridget
St.Louis Missouri
Missouri State University

Brighton is amazing!

I made the best decision by deciding to study abroad in Brighton. I had the time of my life and met so many amazing people. The staff was also awesome, very nice and would help you with literally anything. If I had the chance to visit again I would in a heartbeat! Brighton is a cool unique city and has a really good night life! I made so many memories in Brighton that I will cherish forever. I was also able to visit many different countries while in Brighton because transportation was good and reasonably priced. Brighton will forever have a place in my heart!

Ashley
Aiea, Hawaii

Brighton!!!

Studying abroad in Brighton has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. The thought of studying an entire year on the other side of the world was extremely daunting and terrifying. Mary, Becca, and Zoe have been so accommodating and will care for you as one of their own. They have been so helpful through my entire study abroad journey and even after as well. Studying abroad is an experience that is irreplaceable. I have learned so much about myself and the world around me that I could not have learned if I just stayed home.

I think having the opportunity to live with other locals would have been better instead of mostly just other Americans. Getting to know the locals are apart of a great experience.

Chantal
Johnsburg
Loyola University Chicago

Take me back to Brighton and my amazing semester!

Studying abroad was the highlight of my college experience and I owe most of that statement to Brighton. The staff were helpful, kind and willing to take that extra step to make each and every one of our experiences amazing! Honestly, the University of Brighton offered a challenge due to the difference between our educational system and the English system, yet it was a refreshing change and not too hard to assimilate. If anything sold me to this program, it was the city and I was not disappointed. Brighton was a vibrant and high energy city that kept us all busy and happy the entire five months I was in England. There was always events to attend and new restaurants to try! Overall, I had a wonderful five months spent in Brighton and I value all of the memories I made there and hold them close to my heart.

Dana
Burbank, CA

Brighton is Amazing!!

Deciding to study abroad in Brighton was easily one of the best decisions I have ever made. Zoe, Mary, and Becca are absolutely amazing at supporting the students and the rest of Brighton only improved the experience that much more. On a quite warm day, me and a few friends went down to the Brighton Pier to ride all of the rides and eat some delicious ice cream. Hands down one of my favorite days I spent in Brighton. It is a wonderful and charming little beach town, while only a short train ride away from the hustle and bustle of London. Brighton is the perfect location for anything you might want to accomplish while you're in England and I highly suggest choosing Brighton as your study abroad location! Such a fantastic experience!

Shannon
Cherry Hill
University of Mount Union

Love of Brighton

Studying abroad at Brighton University was possibly one of the most amazing and smartest decisions I have made in my life. The program in all was great. The particular courses that I took were a perfect fit for my major. Also the program directors of USAC at the University of Brighton were so kind and warmhearted. The social scene was lively and I always had a good time. I've made some friends for life on this study abroad trip and I recommend studying in Brighton if given the opportunity.

I would say the only thing that would improve the program is if we were given more information of the academics of how the classes worked.

Kelly
Jefferson City, MO
Missouri State University

I could sit here and talk about stories from Brighton for years, but the most important story in my heart is just the memories of the amazing friendships I have made. There's something about friends that have had all the same life changing experiences as you. A week before we left we say on our couch, crying and reminiscing on all the amazing adventures we've had together that you just can't get anywhere else.

Just by warning the students about how the class system works, like a 3rd year class is going to be much much harder than a 1st year class!

Calla
Reno, Nevada
University of Nevada Reno

Amazing program

Brighton is the perfect place to stay if you're looking for a place for social interactions and the quietness of a small town. The bus and train systems make it easy to get everywhere you want to go. Taking a day to just go into town, have afternoon tea in my favorite place (The Mock Turtle), and walk down by the pier make for the best day. The friends that I have made throughout this program make it even better.

Samantha
Normal, Illinois
Illinois State University

STILL the Best Decision I Ever Made

Four years later and it's still the best decision I ever made. If I could do it all over again right this second I would. I don't even know where to start because there are so many awesome things about this program. The biggest thing for me was not only learning a lot about teaching in a hands on way that I had never experience before, but being immersed in the culture and learning a lot about myself. I grew up and became more independent, and changed for the better in ways I never would have if not for this trip. I got to see the history and mesmerizing architecture of the country that's not available to us in the states. The weekend trips are 110% worth it because you would never plan it or get as much for as little money as you pay on your own. The program itself is amazing and they make sure to teach you things for classroom, but they also give you experiences that are worth so much more. They know how valuable getting immersed into the culture is. I remember walking around and exploring Brighton for hours because it is a one of a kind city. You're right in the coast, with a million options of places to eat, shop, and explore, but you're also only an hour or so train ride away from London. I loved the accommodations because you had your own room and bathroom, but shared a common area and full kitchen. The transportation was easy and convenient no matter what time of day or night. You see cliffs, castles, Stonehenge, bath, Oxford, London, etc. I grew as a person and teacher and made life long friends. If you're reading this, there's no question, you should make the best decision of you're life too.

The only improvement I can think of is spending a bit more time in the classrooms. I would've liked to get a few days in there to really immerse myself in their day to day school life.

Josh
Phoenix, Arizona

The Best Decision of my Life

I have never had such greater experiences in my life! Opening my mind to a new culture has allowed for me to enjoy another culture and even learn things about my own that I would not otherwise notice. The only thing that I regret is leaving the wonderful city of Brighton.

In no way, it's just lovely!

The University of Brighton is a community of over 21,000 students and 2,600 staff based on five campuses in Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings.

Our Study Abroad Programme offers international students the opportunity to enroll in a variety of courses across the different schools for a