Study Abroad at the University of Brighton, England

Skiing in the Swiss Alps
Cliffs of Moher in Ireland
Cliffs of Moher in Ireland
Brighton

We offer semester and yearlong program, with the opportunity to take classes from a variety of subjects.

Our team, Mary, Zoe and Becca, are on hand to help make your study abroad experience be the best of your lifetime. As well as onsite orientation and class enrollment, we arrange and attend field trips with you to London, Oxford & Stratford, Bath & Stonehenge and Paris, as well as a couple of local trips.

Brighton is a great hub to travel, with Gatwick Airport only 30 minutes by train and London just 50 minutes by train.

Nicknamed London-by-the-sea, when you're not studying or travelling around Europe, there is so much to do in Brighton itself. Famous for it's cosmopolitan Laines, with independent shops and cafes spilling out onto the streets; music, art and food festivals; nightlife and more.

For USAC the tuition per semester was $7,680 and the cost of the on campus (Great Wilkins Halls) was about $3,115 for fall and for spring about $4,531.

Rosemary

Study Abroad at the University of Brighton, England

As someone who had never left my home country before studying abroad, I can understand why someone might have doubts about attending somewhere foreign and how it might be scary. Fortunately, at the University of Brighton, that isn’t the case. The staff makes sure you feel at home and you understand everything you need to know before you even realize that you haven’t thought about it yourself! I personally am not an extroverted person, but I was able to gain lifelong friends and I am currently maintaining those relationships while I am back home. I would NOT exchange this experience for anything. Go to University of Brighton and live out the dream you deserve! Happy travels to all! 💛

Don’t waste time, it goes by so much quicker than you think!
Diana

Spring 2019

I highly recommend everyone to study abroad at the University of Brighton you will not regret it! The support at the university is incredible from professors to Mary and everyone at the Study abroad office, to the caring accommodation staff. I honestly did not have a single bad experience in Brighton! Brighton is such a lovely place and there is always something fun going on or somewhere to explore. There's the Brighton Pier, the Royal Pavilion, the Lanes, the festivals in May, also so many shops to visit and eat at. I think a semester was not enough time for me (do an academic year!). During my semester, I had the opportunity to travel to other countries so that is something to keep in mind when planning (I visited 8 in total). I will cherish my time and memories in Brighton forever and Brighton will always have a special place in my heart.

I would highly recommend everyone to sign up for the field trips. They are so worth it! It's all planned out so all you do is hop on the bus and enjoy the trip. Each trip is an incredible experience and it's a good time to bond with everyone in the group. Some of my highlights from my semester at the University of Brighton have been from the trips and the memories that were made with them. Aside from that watch out for the seagulls!
Response from University of Brighton

Hi Diana, we are so pleased to hear your positive comments about your time at the University of Brighton, and to hear that Brighton will always be a special place to you. We aim to make the experience as good for every study abroad student we work with.
You will definitely have to come back and see us one day.

Anya

Unforgettable experience!

Doing this exchange has been far greater than I had ever imagined. Brighton is an incredible place to live and study. The city is exciting and unique and has always got something going on. Coming to a new University and immersing myself in a different learning system was a bit daunting at first. However, studying here has opened up so many opportunities for me as a Graphic Designer. It was also a great opportunity for me to step out of my comfort zone and meet new people. I have met some incredible and talented people during my time here and have had so many amazing experiences. The study abroad team at Brighton are so lovely and supportive. I’m so glad that I chose to study in Brighton for a whole year as I absolutely love it here. I definitely recommend this program!

Absolutely nothing! Everything was fantastic and I highly recommend this program.
Response from University of Brighton

Hi Anya, thank you for your positive words about your time here at the University of Brighton, and your personal recommendation. We were really glad to support you whilst you were here and wish you the very best for the future.

Ashley

Brighton's Superb Support

At the University of Brighton, there is not a divide between faculty and students. Students refer to faculty by first name and faculty know the names of their students. Faculty are always willing to provide support in a timely manner and in any way they can. The small class sizes and discussion-based seminars make the relationship with professors more personal and friendly, rather than strictly professional. Professors are willing to provide feedback on essays and discuss any issues before, after, and outside of class. However, the support from professors is outweighed by the outstanding study abroad office. I can honestly say that I owe my amazing experiences at Brighton to Mary, Becca, Elissa, Zoe and the study abroad team. Their endless kindness and support is heart-warming. Studying abroad is stressful, especially if you are like me and are a first-time traveller; the study abroad team was always prepared to answer all of my questions and provide me with all of the details. The student support is one-of-a-kind; I have not ever experienced a support system like it, not even at my home university. Everyone wants you to succeed at the University of Brighton.

With Brighton being on the coast, there is always something to do. The pier is only a short bus ride from campus. You can find just about everything there from hundreds of fish and chips shops to a mall you can get lost in to the movie theatre to pubs. The city even has historical significance as the location of Henry IV’s vacation home, the Royal Pavilion. Since we are on the coast, we have high-speed winds and hangry seagulls, but even those qualities make memories whether it be losing your hat to the wind or your sandwich to the clutches of a seagull. Future travelers should go out and experience every aspect of the wonderful city that is Brighton.
Response from University of Brighton

'Everyone wants you to succeed at the University of Brighton' - how true!
You also get out what you put it, so you must take credit for making this such a valuable and enriching experience Ashley.
We look forward to seeing you back here one day!

Sierra

Study Abroad in Brighton, England

Brighton, England became home for me. I have found myself personally and academically. Studying here has changed my life, providing memories I never thought I would experience and challenges that helped me grow and learn. I have met so many angelic people and I am so excited to bring them on my side of the world one day. My professor here has made a huge impact on my life and he is by far my favorite professor I’ve ever had. I traveled to 10 different countries while studying here, and I found myself so eager to get back to Brighton the entire time. This is definitely a place that I am going to settle down permanently. I couldn’t of asked to study anywhere else. I love it so much, I have planned to extend my studies here in Brighton. Can’t wait to come back again.

Nothing, everything was fantastic. It was the best university I’ve studied at.
Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your review Sierra. We know how much you loved your time in Brighton, and very much look forward to seeing you back here!

Claire

Best experience ever!

Studying abroad at the University of Brighton was the best decision i've ever made! The city of Brighton is so unique and fun and there's always something do!! There is such a big student population in Brighton since there are two universities, so there's always young people around and the social scene here is huge which adds to the fun! The city also feels so safe, since people are out generally all day, so I've never felt unsafe in Brighton! The dorms were really nice, and the Falmer campus is beautiful and only about a 30 min bus ride from the city center! The study abroad team at Brighton are the best, they're so supportive and fun and really helped us ease into this change! Also, the field trips are awesome! Definitely worth going on as many as you can, because seeing Paris and Stonehenge were some of the highlights of this trip!

Information about the prices of the bus pass, it is a little bit expensive, and we didn't know how much it would cost until we came here.
Response from University of Brighton

Thankyou for your review and for the feedback about receiving information on the bus pass earlier. We have taken this on board.
We agree, Brighton is great!
See you back here one day.

Shannon

Brighton

Studying abroad in Brighton was one of the best decisions I made. Brighton is a lovely city which is busy and fun without the intensity and stress of a major city. There is plenty to do in Brighton in terms of nightlife, cute independent shops, cafes, and visiting sites like the pier and bathing boxes. The study abroad team at Brighton are some of the loveliest and most helpful people I've ever met and made the experience that much easier. The field trips are one of the highlights of the program as is the opportunity to meet amazing people from around the world. I definitely recommend this program if you are considering it!

Response from University of Brighton

Shannon, it's great to hear that studying at the University of Brighton was the one of the best decisions you have made. Perhaps we'll see you back here one day!

Julia

Incredible

The 3 months I spent in Brighton were the absolute best 3 months of my life. Hands down. I wish I never had to leave. The people there were amazing and had SO MUCH FUN. All of the study abroad field trips were fascinating and enjoyable. I got to see so much in so little time. Brighton itself is ADORABLE. There are so many cute shops and restaurants it's impossible to stop by every one. The beach is amazing and the pier has food and arcade games and rides. It's a great place to go. The place the study abroad students lived was nice, my only complaint being how far it was from Brighton. It was approximately a half hour bus ride from Brighton, which isn't bad, but when you're waking up early for class or staying out late in town it can be a pain. Luckily the bus comes right by campus. I joined the Drama Society and made most of my friends that way. It was such a great experience and everyone was so friendly and welcoming. Not just the students but staff as well. I'm hoping to go back there over the summer to see the friends I made there. Studying abroad at the University of Brighton was the best decision I ever made.

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for leaving such a glowing review of your time here. We're so glad to hear you had such a good time.
The Falmer campus is served well by public transport so I hope it wasn't too hard getting into town and back.

Jake

Student Teaching

The decision to student teach in England was the best decision of my life. I started off with reservations of being away from my family for so long, but now I am glad that I changed my mind. I have had such an amazing time and have grown as a teacher. The memories I made here will be with my for a lifetime. Everything was amazing from the host family, the school I was placed at, the trips I went on, and even the food! Mary and Becca were amazing throughout and you will absolutely Love them! The teacher I was placed with is amazing, and I now have a great friend. It is also a really great expereince to learn about a new culture and how it compares to the United States. You may not be student teaching in England, but either way you should do it for your program. Not only was this an awesome experience, but it will help me get a job in the future! I would 10/10 recommend you take this amazing opportunity (you won't regret it!!).

Cheers x

Lychelle

University of Brighton

I had an incredible time living and studying in Brighton. The Famler campus (where I lived) was small, quiet, and surrounded by beautiful parks. The campus cafe has lots of yummy food and coffee. My course instructors were all kind and supportive. Mary and Becca (the study abroad administrators) were extremely welcoming and helpful with everyone’s needs during our exchange- they made living in Brighton feel like home. The organized trips we went on as an abroad group were absolutely amazing and was a highlight for me during my experience. Due to Brighton’s close proximity to the LGW airport traveling the rest of Europe was extremely easy and affordable! Brighton is a lovely seaside town that has amazing pubs, gardens, food, shopping, people, and energy. For future students wanting to study abroad I would highly recommend coming to Brighton. I definitely will be back in Brighton soon.

The only thing I would change is that the cost of the bus pass should be told to the students before coming to Brighton or should be part of the tuition.
Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your comments, you sound like you had a very positive time in Brighton, and we're really glad to hear that.
It would be difficult for us to buy individual bus passes for all the students, however we will make sure that all students are aware prior to arrival that this is a cost they will incur.
We look forward to seeing you back in Brighton soon.

Nicole

Best Experience of My Life

Coming from the United States the environment was always a controversial topic, and my home university did not offer a diversity of classes to take. At the University of Brighton they provided a "no nonsense" type of teaching about the environment providing me with much more information than I ever received in the United States. The classes are very interesting, and offer a wide variety of topics and information. They expect a lot of you, but allow you to learn at your own pace with a reliance on outside reading, due to only having class once a week, and is much more laid back than it is in the United States. Having class once a week, and the three-week long spring break provides a wonderful opportunity to travel from London Gatwick airport. I had the opportunity to experience 14 countries as well as taking day trips around England. The study abroad coordinators are wonderful! Some of my favorite people that I met during my stay, and organize various field trips to see England and France, as well as connecting with the other students that are abroad. All of the study abroad students are housed in the same apartment building, which allowed me to develop close friendships with my flatmates.
This program, with the freedom of learning at your own pace, and independence of traveling alone allowed me to become a better person, and fall in love with the United Kingdom. I believe Brighton is the best town to live in England, because it is a medium-sized city with a large student population. There is fun nightlife, as well as the opportunity to relax on the beach with your friends. Living in Brighton was an opportunity I'll never forget, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

Response from University of Brighton

We have to agree about Brighton being the 'best town to live in in England!'
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear that your found the classes interesting and the style of teaching a new challenge. As you know one of the benefits of studying abroad is embracing new challenges; that and the opportunity to travel widely, both of which you seem to have done. Good luck and see you back here again soon we hope.

Shaun

Brighton Study Abroad

The University is amazing. The study abroad staff is fun and friendly and always willing to help. Would recommend exploring the city of Brighton and England in general. Becca and Mary, the people who run the program, are super super helpful and fun, and make the experience so much better. The field trips are amazing and low cost for what you get, and the friends you make along the way are worth it.

Different student housing
Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for the positive review Shaun. We're so glad to hear that your time in Brighton was a good one and that the study abroad staff enhanced your experience. Always good to hear!

Rebecca

Brighton Study Abroad

I had the time of my life studying abroad in Brighton! Being able to visit multiple schools and see the difference between teaching in England, vs America, was such a rewarding experience. I learned a lot about incorporating drama techniques in the classroom and it has come in handy with my current class. I loved being able to experience the surrounding cities and learn about their culture. I was always exploring, and trying new things. Living there really helps your jump feet first, and understand their day to day life!

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for your positive review Rebecca and your willingness to 'explore and try new things' whilst in Brighton. That definitely adds to the study abroad experience.
I hope you are still incorporating the techniques you learned whilst here in your current class - and maybe see you back here again one day.

Brittany

Student Teaching

I student taught through the University of Brighton. I was there for 2 months and lived with a host family. The staff at the university were so welcoming and made you feel right at home. We were able to go on various trips organized through the university. My favorite was a weekend trip in Paris. Although it was different than the traditional study abroad program, it was a great experience both personally and professionally.

Response from University of Brighton

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review Brittany and for your positive comments on the programme.
We do find that the students love the trips and that they enhance their study abroad experience Who, after all, doesn't fall in love with Paris!

Heather

Totally Worth it, if You Really Engage

The biggest piece of advice I could give anyone coming to Brighton is to get involved! It's literally so important to get to know the locals and it really helps to have some friendly faces around. The best decision I have ever made was joining a society, it made my experience here completely worth it. I stayed for a full year and have no regrets, and sometimes even wish I could stay longer. Brighton is super independent, interesting, open, and as much fun as YOU make it. It's a big, little city and there is always something new to find, from vinyl shops to charity shops to restaurants to retail shops (most of which offer student discounts, don't be afraid to ask!), I guarantee you'll find a place you'll fall in love with. Only words of caution I would give is if you decide to live on the falmer campus, you will need a bus pass (good news is there is an app with student deals) to get into town and the Night Bus (starting usually at midnight) can feel like forever–due to extra stops. The grades are very different (I promise 70%+ is an A, don't panic) and schooling in general is more independent work. You will have plenty of free time to hang out with the new friends you make! Last bit of advice is to not let the common language fool you, England is it's own unique place with it's own slang and differences (if you're from the US like me you might be confused at times, though most people will clear up the confusion if you just ask), it's just like studying abroad any other place, you will have to learn the culture and be able to go with the flow in order to really enjoy your time.

Clearer housing options for international students, I wouldn't have chosen to live in Great Wilkins if I had known more about the other options.
Response from University of Brighton

Hi Heather, thank you for your review and for your considered comments, the points you raise are really helpful to potential students. We find that past students are THE best people to ask when it comes to tips and advice for future students.
We do have to house all the study abroad students together due to the length of the programme, however we're really pleased to hear that the society you joined helped you get fully involved.