Study Abroad in London: University of Roehampton

Big Ben
Beautiful scenery
Beautiful scenery
Hanging out in Richmond Park

The University of Roehampton in London is a friendly campus based university. Set in 54 acres of beautiful parkland, we are just six miles away from the heart of central London.

We offer teaching excellence informed by world-leading research in a wide range of subjects. You can also pick from one of our field-based London Studies classes to really get to know the city.

You will live in guaranteed on campus accommodation - alongside Roehampton students - in a single occupancy study bedroom with shared kitchen facilities and optional private bathrooms.

Make the most of your semester or year abroad by participating in our popular social programme or by using nearby transport connections to travel easily around the UK and Europe.

Contact the dedicated Roehampton Abroad team today to take the first step to an unforgettable experience!

Evan

Magic murder and mystery

It was a great program i had a lot of fun and its in a great location to see London. Every day you have the opportunity to travel anywhere in London within an hour from a station that is only a fifteen minute walk from the dorms. The staff really concerned about whether or not you are having a good time. They make all the course work easy to access and free so you don't have any surprise expenses. They have a lot of social excursions in and out of London that are really enjoyable and vary widely from going to see a play in the east end to taking a bus trip to Stonehenge and Baths or providing a walking tour to explore the city and learn about the history of London along the way. The kitchen package that they provide is very useful for cooking the food you can get at the super store not too far from campus! This was a great experience!

I recommend that you pack light so you can bring more souvenirs back
Katie

GREAT Study Abroad Experience! Once in a lifetime opportunity

I signed up for the social program and I'm so glad I did because I got to experience destinations in London that I never would have had the opportunity to if I were to travel alone. I took the Gods & Heroes of Classical Mythology class and I loved it/learned a lot. I liked the length of the summer program, session 1, I thought it was the perfect length for those who may be easily homesick or just want the experience, especially for those who may not necessarily want to live here for an entire semester.

I appreciated the support of the study abroad team and the study abroad intern for leading us to destinations and giving up insider information when we needed it. Although the mattress and the bedding weren't the best (springs digging into you, pillow not supportive, etc), these are easily aided with bringing your own mattress pad/blanket/pillow for a better sleep or purchasing them here.

Food is not provided in this program but taking the 265 bus towards Tolworth, you have easy access to a grocery store/Walmart type store called ASDA which sells everything you could possibly need during your stay here, VERY reasonably priced as well, genuinely great prices. There is also a convenience store called Londis just up the street from campus, maybe a 5 minute walk, where you can get food to get you started the first few days here on campus and you can also purchase your Oyster card there if you didn't pre-purchase it online. The card itself costs 5 pounds, and then whatever money you put onto it is available for transport.

I would recommend purchasing a Travelex card prior to arriving so you have local currency, but keep in mind the conversion rate is painful. Keep in mind if you purchase it in the US you cannot put British Pounds onto your card, such as using notes to add money to your card in England; only American dollars can be added, and you have to add a minimum of $50 American dollars each time you want to transfer money to your Travalex card on the app from your American bank account.

Something exciting that I did during my stay was vlogging my day-to-day experience, which helped me get out of my comfort zone as well as document my experience/allow me to share it with my loved ones and the Youtube community so they could live through me. Now I can rewatch my experience whenever I want & relive the moments forever! Follow my instagram to find the link for my videos in my bio and to learn more about the program! @goddessofthegalaxy

I wish that the beds were more comfortable, but I realize that is out of control of the program.
Sarah

Sarah’s review

I love the campus and what it offers! The course I took- the psychology of murder was okay. It could be a lot more engaging and challenging but the professors were fun and knowledgable. The transportation offered near campus was great! And the shops on campus were nice too- especially the hive. I wish the bar was open though. Laundry services were perfect and the free ones were so convenient. The accommodations in Southlands college was exactly what I was expecting. Good space. The kitchen set we received was also very helpful. I wish I had space in my suitcase to take it home! I ate lunch at the Base every often and the staff was amazing and did a great job at making me feel at home. Afternoon tea with them on Sundays was also Awesome. I overall had a great experience and felt very safe.

Keep an open mind and be willing to try new things you usually wouldn’t. Also pack medications of all kinds because the air and environment is so different.
Emily

Study at Roehampton

I took the psychology of murder course at Roehampton and learned so much. Roehampton is in zone three of London so you will need to utilize public transportation, I would get an oyster card. I loved the campus it's so beautiful and full of cute animals like ducks and there are campus cats and bunnies you can pet. It's a quiet and safe neighborhood so it's not the hustle and bustle of central London but you are still pretty close. Overall just do it and commit to studying in London I don't regret it I truly appreciate my experience and learned so much!!! If you are concerned about anything there's always someone to talk to or contact and they respond very quickly. There is 24-hour campus security and they're awesome. And there is a tube station very close and tons of bus stops to get you wherever you need to go.

Don't be afraid to try new places and you are probably going to get a little lost even with a gps but that's ok. Just go with the flow and enjoy your time here. There's so much to do you may not be able to do all of it but make a list of must see or do and any extra time you have can be doing other fun things like going to the theater.
Megan

Very good integrated

Striking about the program at the University of Roehampton is, that the study abroad students live together with english students and international students which are at Roehampton for the whole three years of their degree. So the study abroad students and Erasmus students are not kept separate. This is the best possible way to learn the language and get to know new people from a various range of different countries. At the same time, the Study Abroad Team still host events for study abroad students only.

some of the lectures take very long to correct the papers, so that most of the students are not here anymore, when they find out if passed or not. This could be very difficult if someone is failing a course and has to re do it.
Jasmine

Best Decision I Ever Made!

Choosing to come to this university has been the best choice I could have made when I decided to study abroad. Since the minute I arrived I've been welcomed by many of the students and faculty members here and have continued to be helped by them in my time here. There has been no absence of kindness and assitance that I have received while at Roehampton whether it be in modules or with my flat. This program has given me experiences that I'll make use of for the rest of my life and I will always recommend this University for I feel that it offers the most for any study abroad student interested in having the time of their life.

Perhaps by letting the student know that food will not be provided upon arrival? Just to let them know.
Chanelle

Roehampton abroad

Studying at the Roehampton university has been great experience. The university was very accommodating to international students in and outside of the classroom. I enjoyed the classes very much they were interesting and the professor were very helpful. The location of the camp is also great. It is about 30min on the tube to central London locations and is very accessible to get around. The on campus events were also interesting and there were a lot of activities.The campus is beautiful and it was the best decision that I've made.

Great program maybe more ways to get international students involved on campus
Jahi

Why did I have to leave?

I loved Roehampton Uni. I loved being in such a community that was rich in culture and intellect. The whole Roehampton staff was very supportive of us and was always available to answer any questions that I might of had. The students were also very inclusive. They were engaged in learning about my culture and they were more than willing to share theirs. The classes were different but the lecturers were more than understanding and have me extra attention of it was needed. The staff and students were all very supportive of me as a study abroad and student. They were patient and was always available to answer any questions I might have had. They really mad my time in London an unforgettable one. I wish I didn't have to leave! I remember the charisma and excitement the staff had. It really made us excited to be there. The students were also friendly and interested in learning about American culture. Overall I love this place and wish I didn't have to go home.

Jennifer

Eat,Pray , Love... London Edition

Studying abroad in the University of Roehampton has been a forever life changing experience! Moving to a different country for half a year seemed so scary but this program has made London my home. I have meet people from all over the world and they have become my global family. The administration alongside academic faculty guided me into the British culture and made me feel like I was no longer an outsider. Being abroad I feel was the perfect choice to prepare me into adulthood as I transition into my last year as an undergraduate student. Due to my interactions and intercultural exchanges with my peers and faculty has helped me grow and evolve in ways I did not expect. Before coming here at my home institution I was told that the young lady standing before her would no longer be the same one who would be getting off the plane after half a year. This I did not understand until now. I have challenged my views and it has morphed into one inspired by the testimonies of people I have met through this journey. I am forever grateful for Roehampton for allowing me to have this life changing experience. I have grown and changed interpersonally and academically. I am leaving a piece of me when I go back home but I know that London will always remain my second home at heart. This is a place I am not leaving behind but I look forward to coming back to

Corey

Best University, Best Friends and Best Experience.

Roehampton was one of two options for me when it came to choosing a school to apply to for the study abroad program. Roehampton ultimately won me over due to it's location. With the train station being within walking distance, it is a short train ride to the center of the city while also providing a more neighborhood setting. Also, Richmond Park is just down the street from campus. It is a great open area filled with wild life, nature and paths for running, walking and riding bikes. Richmond Park is an escape from the city life when you are craving some grass, trees and nature. It is also an amazing spot to see the sunset. Also, Roehampton held a lot of activities and events for the students, making student life interactive and fun. I never left an event without meeting someone new. The campus setting, compared to the city setting, made it extremely easy to make friends and made me feel at home. I have made friends and memories that I will cherish forever, along with growing personally through incredible experiences provided by Roehampton. I owe it all to Roehampton University for my unforgettable time abroad.

Valerie

Loving the experience...

One thing I did not expect while coming abroad was just how home sick I was going to be. To be honest I was not happy to be studying in London for probably the first month and a half I was living here. It took me so long to get comfortable and I think that was mainly due to the fact that I have never before travelled outside of the United States. This all changed though, eventually. As I began understanding my new home and making friends and establishing a new life for myself in London I realized how much I actually loved living here. While there was not some crazy adventure that I went on every single day, I have experienced some crazy fun days while living here in London and I am going to miss these experiences when I go home. I especially will miss the nights that I sit at home with my flatmates as we eat dinner together, drink tea, and discuss the events of our day, sharing each crazy new thing we have experienced or learned. Living in London and studying at the University of Roehampton is probably the single best decision I have made so far in my life and I highly recommend taking this experience. If I could do it all over again I would jump on the chance in a heartbeat. Thanks for everything London.

This program could be improved by giving students a clear timeline for when the term starts, when breaks are, when the term ends, exam period, and the final move-out date.
Emma

Great time

I made a lot of great friends here and I overall had a wonderful time. I like the social life here, it is way better than what I am used to back at home. There are a lot of activities and clubs which you can participate in which I am also not used too. I think I am really going to miss roehampton when I am back home. I feel like this experience has really changed me as a person, it was a very good experience for me to be so far away from home and to get to know another culture so well.

I think this program can be improved by offering more activities for international students. I personally didn't have a problem with things the way they were but I know some people who had issues making friends and meeting people.
Paige

Study Away

Coming to Roehampton University was an experience like no other for me. Coming for a town of 250 people and never being out of the country and going to live in London was a huge culture shock. Luckily, my flatmates were from all around the world and were very friendly. Roehamptons social events really helped us international students get out and meet new people! I will highly recommend Roehampton University to anyone when I get back!

Keep more classes open for study abroad students, unfortunately the classes I'm taking here I do not need at all for my degree and the classes I did need were filled.
Ashley

Go to Roehampton!

I loved my semester at Roehampton! To begin with, the campus is a short walk from the beautiful Richmond Park. I would highly recommend spending some time there! The students at Roehampton helped make this experience one that I will never forget. The monopoly nights in the flat to every Bop and Grand- I loved my time here! I recommend taking the London Studies classes that the university offers and traveling to other countries in Europe why you have the chance!

Nina

A Semester of Theatre

I chose to study abroad at the University of Roehampton because of its proximity to Central London and its courses offered. During my time here, I had the opportunity to immerse myself in London theatre - exactly what I wanted as a theatre/drama student! Not only have I seen a wide variety of London theatre, but also I've explored and taken trips around London venturing to find theatres, something I didn't anticipate. BUt it wasn't just seeing shows - time in the classroom brought forth vivid and thought-provoking dialogues led by wonderful, knowledgeable professors. It truly was a once-in-a-lifetime experience!