APA Paris: Premier Academics, Culture, Community

COVID-19 Program Updates
Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Academic Programs Abroad (APA) has decided to pause some of their upcoming programs temporarily. Learn more about COVID-19 updates and sign up for email notifications to stay tuned regarding program information.

Explore Paris and create lifelong friendships at Academic Programs Abroad.
Explore Paris and create lifelong friendships at Academic Programs Abroad.
Art History students will visit museums as part of their studies.
Art History students will visit museums as part of their studies.
Academic Programs Abroad students visit French chateaus as part of the program.
Academic Programs Abroad students visit French chateaus as part of the program.

Become a true Parisian and take classes in French alongside your French peers with APA's Paris Program. Build your schedule by choosing courses, in any field of study, at our University of Paris and higher education partner institutions, in-house electives, or replace a class with an independent study/research. Receive weekly one-on-one language support with a French professor and teaching assistant. A wide range of academic support is available throughout your term in Paris.

Experience French culture with weekly events and tickets to the performing arts, exclusive day and weekend excursions. To facilitate a truly immersive experience, students live with carefully selected French hosts, in student residences, or independent apartment living. Many take advantage of community involvement opportunities like volunteering in an English class at a local elementary school or joining an intramural sports team. Two-month, full-time professional summer internships are available.

• Build your own schedule and direct-enroll into the Paris university system: take classes taught in French in the fields of your choice.
  • Choose an APA in-house course in art history and/or political science - an international study tour is included in each course!
  • Receive weekly one-on-one language support with a French professor and teaching assistant.
  • Take part in French culture with events, tickets to the performing arts, excursions, cooking workshop, and free entry into museums.
  • Extend your stay with a two-month, full-time summer internship.

100% Deposit Refunds, Rolling Admissions for Summer 2020 & Fall 2020 programs

Understanding the uncertainty revolving around the COVID-19 developments, it can be difficult to make plans for an upcoming term abroad. To ease your concerns, APA is rolling admissions through April 22 for French Antilles Summer 2020, April 27 for Dakar Summer 2020, and June 30 for Paris and Multi-Country: France, Morocco, Senegal Fall 2020 programs.

All deposits paid will be 100% refundable (less service fees).

Alexa

BEST PROGRAM EVERRRR

Participating in Academic Programs Abroad - Paris was one of the best decisions I have made during my time as an undergraduate. The team of women behind the program are some of the most capable, supportive, and attentive people I have had the privilege of meeting.
I arrived to Paris relatively advanced in speaking French and left fluent -- all thanks to the program's dedication to giving its participants a fully immersive experience. I had no close ties in the city before arriving and left knowing that I would always have a family to look out for me there (thanks to my fabulous homestay arrangement).
The program's unique mix of program-provided courses and courses provided by local universities (like the Sorbonne!) enabled me to get a feel for what academic life was like in Paris and gave me a nice feeling of independence since we weren't always in our safe little cocoon (as the majority of participants in the program are from US schools). It was such a unique and eye-opening experience!
Overall, I cannot recommend this program enough to responsible students that want to:
1. Ameliorate their French language skills
2. Experience academic culture in Paris
3. Make new memories that will mature them and increase their self-confidence and ability to maneuver independently in the world around them
4. Visit cities and regions outside of Paris (this program includes culturally rich (and, quite frankly, awesome side trips to places outside of Paris).
5. Get out of the cocoon of their home university and experience all that the world has for them!

I would improve transparency regarding courses taken at public universities in Paris. Some of my courses didn't transfer back and some that I was interested in taking wouldn't (even though I was under the assumption they would). So, some more clarity surrounding that aspect would be appreciated. But it didn't mess me up too much in the long-run.
Sophia

I loved my semester with APA!

I am a Political Science and French double major, and I studied abroad with Academic Programs Abroad in Paris for the Fall 2019 semester! I absolutely loved my experience. The staff is wonderfully friendly and supportive, so even when I came upon difficult situations or experienced stress, I never doubted that everything would work out. If you're looking to improve your French skills, this is definitely a program for you. Each of my classes were taught in French and my proficiency improved by leaps and bounds over the course of four months. I also loved getting to know Paris, and Europe as a whole; the cultural program that APA puts together is incredible. With a weekend in Normandy, a day in Chartres, a play at the Comédie française, a cooking lesson, several dance performances, a cheese-tasting, and so much more, I felt culturally fulfilled by the time I left the country. If you would like to participate in a program that provides a truly valuable academic challenge along with a cultural education, I cannot recommend APA Paris enough.

Your first few weeks are probably going to be stressful, not only because of the language but because the Parisian school system and expectations (formatting of essays and homework, how to communicate with your professor, etc.) are very unique. Trust that you will get the hang of it and that academics will get easier! Remember, you always have the APA advisors rooting for you.
Taylor

APA: The Ultimate Parisian Experience

Where do I even begin! Studying abroad with APA was my first time in a country besides the United States, and I absolutely fell in love with Paris (and Europe at large) thanks to the program's support and lineup of cultural events. The small, private nature of the program lends itself to this kind of care. For instance, when we arrived, we were given Navigo passes that allowed us free and unlimited access to the Paris Metro system and beyond. The program was great about its treatment of its students as individuals: I felt a sense of community and structure within the program, but also a great sense of independence to craft my experience and spend my free time in the ways that I desired. Everyone knew one anther, and great, lifelong relationships were formed as a result. Immersion into the Parisian University System was invaluable to my experience, and I left feeling like I could take on the city with ease.

Know that you are probably going to have a long commute to school (if not to the APA office in the 14th Arrondissement, then to the universities where you're studying). I used my long commutes as time to read and listen to new French music.
Chris

Super Fun!!

I had a wonderful time in France with APA! The language immersion really improved my skills and confidence in conversation and in the classroom. After coming home, I realized how much more advanced my language was. The events we had planned such as neighborhood visits, and weekend excursions were super fun and gave a lot of great historical overview. Traveling to other countries was easy and accessible. Academics were not too challenging but I still had some work to put in with language barriers. I loved my host family and had a great time getting to know them and exchanging cultural knowledge. The APA staff is very helpful and hospitable. Paris was absolutely beautiful and I miss it so much; I would love to spend another semester if I could!

Speak French always and travel as much as you can!
Camille

Excellent program

APA was a huge reason that I had such an amazing experience abroad. Their incredible academic support and the cultural events they set up for students throughout the semester, provides students with both language and cultural immersion. Additionally, the option to stay with a homestay family, a dorm, or on your own provides students with flexibility in their living arrangements so that each student can choose what would be best for them. Since the program remained fairly small, only about 20 students, the staff provided us with personalized attention, especially during class registration since the French system can be much different than what we are used to. Overall, they truly cared that each student was having a fulfilling experience. APA is a fantastic program, and I highly suggest it!!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The food was incredible in France, but the most unfamiliar thing I ate was stingray!
Keyler

Absolument Incroyable

I cannot say enough amazing things about APA. While at first I was hesitant to be thrown into all things French, APA helped push me and support me through every step of the way. I walked away from my semester in Paris with a vast cultural appreciation, near fluent in the language. Taking my business courses in French forced me to acquire a deeper understanding of the material, and between living with a host family, communicating with peers, and taking yoga entirely in French, I advanced tremendously without really realizing it in the moment. I am so grateful for the opportunity to live in a city with something new to see and do daily and with a program to help me grow so much. Not to mention I'm now a pro when it comes to the metro! Such a great experience going solo as I met so many likeminded students through APA who later became my travel buddies.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
My university was a bit difficult giving me credits, so I would have communicated with Claire Suraqui before going abroad so I could connect her with my abroad advisors.
Evan

Great, immersive experience in Paris

I highly recommend APA! The academic program offers probably the most flexible and diverse set of options possible, with access to multiple universities, in-house courses, and self-study. The APA staff was incredibly helpful with all aspects of student life, really going above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable with our courses, host family, and general life in Paris. One aspect of the program that I really underestimated before coming here was the cultural program. Getting (essentially) free weekly tickets to shows across Paris was an amazing way to engage with the cultural side of Paris in a way that I wouldn't have thought to do or wouldn't have been willing to spend the money on (don't miss the shows at the CentQuatre!). The program offers a great deal of independence while still fostering a tight-knit community between the students and staff (especially through the group trips). My language skills improved a lot and I overall gained confidence and independence.

My advice to future students is to speak French as much as possible (even when only among Americans) and go out as much as possible! When choosing classes, prioritize scheduling and finding classes that seem manageable/ professors that seem chill. I'm really academically oriented, but go for the 3- (or 4-) day weekend - you'll learn so much from taking classes in French within a new system, so focus the rest of your energy on cultural and social opportunities! Also, just be aware that your host family (or other living arrangement) will almost certainly not be in the center of the city, and that you'll sometimes have long commutes to classes. This is just realistic and part of life in Paris, but it's something I didn't think about before.

Lindsey

APA Paris

The thing I loved most about APA was the flexibility of the academic program. Students are capable of taking classes at multiple universities on multiple subjects. There are plenty of opportunities for independently seeking experiences as well.
Classes are held in different French universities, but APA offers personal and group language support, as well as language buddies and complimentary courses. I'm not sure the program could have done much more to provide additional academic support.
If you are looking for an immersive language program to improve your French, APA provides all the necessary tools to achieve your goals.