Haiti International Clinical Apprenticeship Program (HICAP)

Haiti International Clinical Apprenticeship Program (HICAP)

Goals of the Apprenticeship Program:

The goal of this program is to provide every participant with an introduction to the practice of medicine in a developing country. Students will get a basic overview of the Haitian medical system as it is carried out at the country's busiest hospitals. Observers can expect to participate, with their Haitian Medical Student colleagues, in the work of a medical center that receives and treats some of the nation's needy. This program will allow important relationships to develop between program participants and people who are integral in providing healthcare in an underdeveloped country.

North America

Jay
Toronto, Ontario
University of Alberta

An amazing first

I am fortunate to have been one of the first participants to have experienced this program. A little blind faith and trust in an as yet untested and unproven vision left me with an experience that I shall remember for a very long time.

We ran a summer camp for the children who resided near the Colline Academy. Every day more children came as word spread in the area. We enjoyed playing games, teaching English, serving meals and getting to know each other.

We helped during the early rebuilding of the Colline Academy which had collapsed during the earthquake several months earlier.

We spent amazing times with the children at the orphanage which also served as our retreat after a hard day of work in the blazing sun.

Absorbing all that had happened in Haiti so recently was at times a lot to handle but the amazing people of Haiti helped us to realize how strong they are. Their hospitality and openness to visitors is something I have experienced in very few of the countries to which I have travelled.

I can also happily say that I came away from the experience with a lot of new friends.

I wish that we could have spent more time seeing different areas of Port Au Prince and Haiti. But time was short and the program was still in its infancy. I know that the groups that came after us were able to experience to a greater extent some of the other things that Haiti has to offer.

Dave
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Yale University

Fantastic program and great way to get introduced to Haiti

During my senior year at Yale, I led a trip to Haiti that was facilitated by Colline Foundation. Colline Foundation provided us with housing, food, security and transportation during our 10-day stay in Haiti. All of the program's 9 participants greatly enjoyed the experience.

If I had to change one thing, I would have included more cultural activities in the program, although that was no fault of Colline Foundation.

Erin
Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Very Fulfilling and Educational Experience

The Colline Foundation is one of three volunteer organizations I have traveled abroad with and the program exceeded all my expectations. The compound we stayed at satisfied all my needs and I was not concerned about my safety. Any potential language and cultural barriers were already addressed prior to my arrival, so communication problems that could have occurred were diminished. As a student pursuing a DNP for Nurse Practitioning, I felt as if this program was a great way to immerse myself in an unfamiliar community and learn how to practice medicine in a clinic and a rural environment.The amount you learn in this kind of setting is invaluable; you are given the chance to apply your medical knowledge while enhancing critical thinking skills by improvising with the third world setting. This program allows you to learn a lot about yourself as well as broadening your cultural competence. I would recommend this program to anyone contemplating traveling abroad and giving aid.

There were some events that occurred during the trip that could have been avoided if the trip was more organized. I firmly believe this occurred because I was one of the first trips the organization had run. Jimmy and the rest of the organization are consistently working to ensure the program is running at its highest efficiency. I also know from my experience of traveling in third world countries that nothing is predictable and unexpected obstacles will consistently arise!

engmbt
Ny, NY
Yale University

One of the best programs to attend

As a Yale student, I had the privilege of being part of an international relations group that used The colline Foundation to facilitate the trip. The accommodations were not only remarkable, but the experience gained was simply invaluable. Later I attended the Volunteer program and would rank it one of the best volunteer programs I'v ever been a part of. We were able to really familiarize ourselves with the surroundings and aid (in a visible way) the community. There was also time for leisure activities which truly helped to add to the greatness of our overall experience

I would like the program to be more expansive(i.e branch out more to different sectors). This, however,is an issue I think they are trying to address with the formation of this new medical venture initiative. As, someone who is very interested in how to contribute to sustainable advancements of the medical sector in developing countries, the program seems like a great way to begin discourse!

The goal of this program is to provide every participant with an introduction to the practice of medicine in a developing country. Students will get a basic overview of a developing country's medical system as it is carried out at the country's busiest hospitals. Observers