API: Study Abroad National University of Ireland, Galway

API: Study Abroad National University of Ireland, Galway

Come study in Ireland with Academic Programs International! Students take courses at the National University of Ireland, Galway, which is ideally located on the River Corrib. The programs offered include direct enrollment into the university for a semester or academic year, or a summer school option focusing on Irish Studies.

Home to the largest Gaelic-speaking area in the country, Galway remains true to it's Irish heritage, accurately nicknamed the "Cultural Capital of Ireland." Enjoy your time exploring the city and countryside along with other international and local students. API covers all of the details, and includes almost everything short of airfare in the program cost.

Europe » Ireland » Galway

Jill
Galway
University of Massachusetts- Boston

Great Times in Galway

For the Spring semester of my junior year I decided to study abroad in Galway, Ireland with API and it has easily been the best decision I've ever made in my life. I had been to Ireland twice before I decided to study abroad there but I still had those nerves that everyone gets before they embark on a new journey. API provided amazing support throughout the whole process both applying and even while in Galway. They made sure everything was in order before I left and provided me with fun and support the second that the plane landed at Shannon Airport. From the minute I stepped off the plane, our Resident Directors made us feel welcome and at home. Our housing at Gort na Coiribe couldn't have been more perfect and really added to the experience. We were located close to campus and city centre, there were multiple options for food and activities all around us, and the apartment we were in not only was equipped with a full kitchen but we were also housed with Irish students which really helped us all get acquainted with the culture.

Our Resident Directors made sure that we all felt excited and in good health when we first got there and were extremely supportive along our entire experience. If you needed a little more assistance, they would be there and if you wanted a more independent experience, they allowed you to have that as well. API made it so easy to really make this experience your own. On top of all the comfort provided in our new homes, API staff and directors also encouraged us to experience other places and travel as much as we can. On-site directors assisted us with finding the best travel plans, including housing and transportation and were always willing and available to talk if we had any hesitations. API not only took us on excursions throughout different parts of Ireland, but they also included a trip to Edinburgh, Scotland which was such an amazing experience and somewhere that I never would've thought to go before.

While studying abroad in Galway, I met some of my best friends and had countless unforgettable experiences. I gained more confidence in myself and was able to gain real world experiences and go places that I never thought I would go! While studying abroad I was able to go to Iceland, the Netherlands, Scotland, Belgium, and Spain! The best part of all of this travel was the fact that after all my travel adventures, I could not wait to get back to Galway. It truly felt like home. It is such a beautiful city and it is home to some of the greatest people that I've ever met. Studying abroad in Galway I was able to connect with family I have in Ireland that I hadn't seen in a really long time. I was able to bridge the gap between the place where my grandparents grew up and the place that I had come to see as home too. It was just incredible.

As for school, I loved attending the National University of Ireland, Galway. The campus was beautiful and I found every class I took to be extremely interesting. I actually preferred their style of teaching and testing than that of my home university. All the teachers were extremely helpful and the work load was absolutely manageable. I was able to take Irish language classes which is something I've wanted to do my entire life but is hard to come by in the US. The campus had everything a student could need and more in order to get work done and also have a place to meet up with other students. There was plenty of opportunity on campus to volunteer and get involved in clubs, sports, and other activities. It provided endless opportunities for students to take advantage of.

I can honestly say that studying abroad in Galway, Ireland with API was the best decision I've ever made in my life. All it has done is add positivity and opportunity into my life. I cherish the time that I was able to spend there and it also motivates me to find ways to go back and to travel more. After my semester in Ireland, I was accepted to API's Global Leadership Program and am currently participating in it. This has allowed to me share my study abroad experience with others and encourage them to make a study abroad experience of their own. Studying abroad has opened so many doors for me whether it be new friends, new outlooks on life, and even job opportunities. I would 1000% suggest it to anyone that is even just considering going. This program and experience will change your life.

N/A

leishice
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh

Gallivanting in Galway

Studying abroad in Galway with API was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I had a really wonderful study abroad experience, which was definitely augmented by their help. One of the main reasons I chose to study abroad with API was because of the excursion opportunities and cultural activities that were provided in the program price, which was quite reasonable. The program organized events in Galway, trips around Ireland, and a weekend trip to Paris, which were all a complete blast.
API also provided hands-off support that gave me a great amount of autonomy, but also gave me the ability to get any advice or help when I needed it. It was definitely a nice balance of freedom and assistance.
The course load was not very rigorous or time intensive, which was beneficial because it allowed time to explore Galway and to travel to other places around Ireland and Europe. Most of my national or international travel was done on the weekends, but there are also large amounts of free time at the end of the program due to finals being spread out, which is very conducive to more extensive trips.
Galway itself is a really great town. There is plenty to do around town during the day, and there is also exciting nightlife scene as well. The town is large enough that anyone can find their niche, but small enough that students won’t be overwhelmed.
Overall, I can’t say enough about the fantastic time I had studying abroad. I absolutely recommend studying abroad in Galway with API.

I would probably change the living quarters we were given. My roommate and I had some mold problems, which the building managers never dealt with. Also, after the program was over I was not given my security deposit back, and actually asked to pay extra, because of "missing kitchen supplies."

mlmartz
Saginaw, Michigan
Saginaw Valley State University

Summer in Galway

When making my decision to study abroad in Ireland, I had researched a few different companies and by far, API was the best choice for me. API provided a slightly longer summer program than my second choice and I am very happy it did. After 5 weeks in Galway, I had mixed emotions about going home. Although part of me missed home, the other part didn't want to leave the friends I had met and the experiences we had.

Before leaving for my trip, I was definitely very nervous since I had never gone on a trip by myself, let alone out of the country. My nerves were set at ease by the API Staff, Kevin and Finn. They were always available if we needed anything and treated us like family from day one.

Galway was an amazing city and I cannot wait to go back some day! There was always something going on. During my trip there was a two week long Arts festival, along with the Volvo Ocean Race festival. On any given day there were numerous musicians playing on Shop Street. Of course, the pubs are also a main attraction. Not to worry, there are plenty to choose from.

Life in Ireland seemed some much more peaceful than in the US. Be prepared for a lot of walking, though with such beautiful scenery, walking everywhere was very enjoyable. Even in the rain, I didn't mind walking. The strong, chilly wind was occasionally an issue though, as it made umbrellas useless.

During my trip, I lived in Gort na Coiribe with two other API girls in a two bedroom apartment. The apartments were roughly a 20 minute walk to campus and the city center. Overall, the place was a great home away from home. There were definitely quirks such as cold showers and occasionally low water pressure in our bathroom; however, the maintenance staff did their best to fix the issues. One thing I didn't prepare myself for was the cost of doing laundry and the cost of food. Although the kitchen was sufficient, it was often much easier to just eat out which definitely added up in costs.

The academics at NUI Galway was fairly easy. As part of the program, I took two courses, Irish Society and Archaeology. There were no homework assignments. Instead, each grade was based only on a paper and two exams, a midterm and a final. Some of the courses, such as Archaeology, offered excursions to really get out and experience hands on what you are learning which was great. The one issue I faced in terms of classes was staying concentrated when studying knowing there was a fun atmosphere around me waiting to be experienced.

Aside from individual course excursions, NUIG's summer school program organized program wide trips to the Dingle Peninsula, the Aran Islands, and a theater performance during the Arts Festival. They also provided optional Irish language classes and dancing and singing workshops which were fun to take part in. Another great part of NUIG was the receptions they put on for the students with free drink tickets at the college bar!

Overall, I absolutely recommend API, Ireland, and Galway! The memories and friendships I gained from my trip abroad through API will surely last a lifetime and I could not be more grateful.

cgallett
Boston, MA
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Galway Spring 2012

I studied abroad with one of my best friends and when she told me she wanted to go to Ireland I was a little scared. I was scared of being in the middle of rolling green hills with nothing to do. I quickly found out this was the perfect, most liveable city I could ask for! It was the perfect size and plenty to do located right on the ocean. The city was so lively with all the pubs, shops and street performers. The people were amazing and I felt more safe and comfortable there than I do at my home town. Everyone was amazing and I can count on one hand the people I did not find down to earth, which says a lot. Out of all the places I visited I am so happy I got to live in Galway for 6 months. I did not even mind that it was cloudy most days or I only got about a ten minute hot shower (something that was tough to get used to).

The academics were not difficult but it was amazing to be in a classroom with Irish students and professors, learning about the world from their perspective. The housing, Gort na Coribe, was absolutely perfect. It was relatively new and located twenty minutes from town and twenty minutes from the school, both a nice walk. There is even a fresh fruit and vegetable stand located nearby that I frequented every week.

API was absolutely amazing providing great support, advice, friendship, comfort and wonderful excursions. The whole trip was the best experience of my life so far. I know I have grown and changed from this experience and I also know my eyes light up when I talk about Galway.

Studying abroad for a full year.

api123
Athens, GA
University of Georgia

My summer spent in Galway

Firstly, the API Staff at Galway are incredible. I was warmly greeted immediately at the airport by what I still consider as a distant Dad. Every question was answered with ease and with an interesting or funny story to go along. They made me feel at home and very safe without being overbearing or strict; they weren't with us most of the time which was important to soak up the culture firsthand, but I wish I had spent more time with them. They really made the experience.

The campus is gorgeous, but since I only had 5 weeks to see Ireland, being off campus and doing as many Irish activities as I possibly could was very important to me. The staff completely understood that, and encouraged it. Though I really enjoyed clogging and Gaeilge classes the university offered to the study abroad students!

The Galway Arts Festival started in the middle of my time there; I loved that API included tickets to the most famous play happening. Our excursions really were ridiculous, I could go on and on about every one. I saw more ukulele, clogging, music, pubs (the best secret ones) than I could ever imagine, not to mention the fantastic fish and chips of Dingle and the best beer I've ever tried, Crean's.

I roomed with three other API girls in a three story apartment. It was a really good set up and very close to town; we walked everywhere, day and night. I loved walking through the city every day but I wish I had brought heavy-duty shoes and a heftier coat (it still gets pretty cold at night during the summer). I had to buy a raincoat because of the weather but I did not mind the constant cloud cover and sporadic rain; Galway is such a beautiful city that it easily rises above this. Summer attracts a lot of tourists, especially to Galway because of the festivals, so tons of people were constantly about town, and pubs were packed out at night. I can't see this being an issue during the year.

This trip is the best decision I've made in college, and the most rewarding experience I've ever had.

I slightly wish I was given a little economical help when I first moved to Galway; a fact sheet outlining where to find the cheapest for the best price would have been nice for food, drink, supplies, ect. It was really hard living on a budget where the currency and economy is foreign.

Kelsey
Washington, DC
Marist College

One of my fondest memories of college

I chose to study in Galway because of the location in the West of Ireland, strong cultural ties, and large university lifestyle. It truly fulfilled (and exceeded) all that I had expected from a semester abroad.

Not only did I love the quaint city of Galway, but I fell in love with the people too. I was incredibly lucky to live with a wonderful group of Irish students who helped make my transition into the Irish lifestyle easy. I felt like I got the most authentic and traditional full immersion experience- living with Irish students, taking classes at NUIGalway, traveling the Irish countryside- it was perfect.

Not a day goes by where I don't think about my time spent diving into Galway Bay or walking along the Salt Hill prom, or the plenty of nights spent listening to live music on Shop Street. All are memories I will never forget and I have no doubt in my mind it wont be long till I return to experience it all again.

The only thing I would change would be the length of programs- a semester in my opinion is not enough time to fully adjust to a new culture. A year allows you to really get accustom to life in Ireland- that is my only regret.

Galwaygirl831
Burlington, Vermont
American College of Education

API Galway Wonderful Experience

It was the best experience of my life! I would go back and do it all over again. API was incredible and their excursions were spectacular! They were so friendly but never imposed too much. The housing was perfect and the city of Galway is the most fun ever!

agwelser
Charleston, South Carolina
University of San Diego

I can't imagine going anywhere else.

Galway is incredible. The downtown area is so much fun, lots of clubs and pubs for the nighttime and lots of shopping and pretty sights to see during the daytime. The academics weren't even remotely challenging for me, but then again that might have had to do with the program I was in (Archaeology). The thing that was strange about the academics was the setup: no constant quizzes or exams or even homework, just one final exam or final paper - that was the only grade! Ultimately it made finals a little scary, but it all worked out in the end.

The living arrangements (Menlo) aren't super special, the rooms get colddd in the winter and hot water is sometimes hard to come by. BUT the people in Menlo are fantastic. You get to live with Irish students in an apartment style set up, which is a great way to meet people, and everyone in Menlo is really friendly and open - you will meet a ton of people there.

The API program itself is fantastic. The program directors are so helpful, so genuine and so welcoming, and you know they're always there whenever you need them. It's great to have them on your side. And you really get your money's worth with the program. Our excursions were wonderful, especially the weekend in London! We also got to take a cooking class and go to a rugby match! They really went above and beyond for us, and I am so so happy I went with API over any others (who ultimately were more expensive, and gave you less! I know because I met several people from other programs in Menlo and at school). The people in my program really became my family over there, and we still talk all the time.

The only issue I remember having is with the walk to school from Menlo. It's about 20-25 minutes (depending on how fast you walk). It's a really nice enjoyable walk when the weather's nice, but when it's raining and cold, or there is snow on the ground....it just makes working up the motivation to actually go to class a little more difficult. I took several walks in the pouring down rain, sitting in my classes completely soaked, because although I had a rain jacket and an umbrella, the umbrella can't do a whole lot when it's windy. Honestly though, that all just became another memory to laugh about. I would not trade any part of my experience, and I am so, so glad that I chose NUI Galway for my study abroad.

lucremii
Charleston, South Carolina
University of San Diego

Best Time of My Life

I studied abroad Spring 2012 at NUIG with API and I had absolutely the best time of my life. As soon as we landed in Ireland, a group of about 40 Americans, we were picked up and brought over to our housing. I felt very at home immediately, which really got me comfortable with my completely new surroundings. First off, Ireland is such an amazing place in general... but Galway was fantastic. I didn't particularly like my housing (try not to get Menlo apartments if you can, they were quite expensive, far away, and there's so many other places that you can get a much better value). Kevin & Finn, the advisers for NUIG, were fabulous and really helped throughout my trip. While NUIG wasn't the most challenging of courses, I thoroughly enjoyed learning about Irish culture and history, genuinely liking almost all of my course at the school. If you can, get yourself an Irish boy/girl to take you around and enjoy the lovely sites. Traveling Ireland was fantastic and API even took us over to Paris for a weekend. I would highly recommend coming abroad with this program, to make the transition much easier. Highly recommend Ireland and Galway in particular, I liked it so much I ended up staying in Galway for 3 months extra during the summer and am already planning my trip back to Ireland.

The mission of API is to transform lives by providing enriching academic and cross-cultural experiences that foster increased self-knowledge, cultural sensitivity and understanding of the global nature of our contemporary world.

*The former API Cultural Embrace and Aspire by API listings are now merged under