BCA Study Abroad: Dublin, Ireland

BCA Study Abroad: Dublin, Ireland

Just beyond the western edge of the city of Dublin is Maynooth, a small, historic town with a population of only 8,500 people. Serving as a university town, Maynooth is a traditional Irish village that remains full of character, culture and education. The Maynooth University campus is known for its sprawling green space and modern amenities, making it a peaceful, top-notch educational facility. With its close proximity to Dublin but the right amount of separation, Maynooth is a peaceful town for residents and visitors to make their home.

Students live in university provided apartment. These apartments includes a mix of single and twin rooms, both with a private bathroom. Twin rooms do include two students. Each apartment also includes a shared kitchen/living area. A meal stipend is provided to each student and is included in the program fee. There are cafes and restaurants on campus and in town, but most students purchase groceries and cook for themselves.

Europe » Ireland » Dublin
-On-Site Resident Director Support
-Official Overseas Transcript
-Academic Advising
-International Health and Evacuation Insurance
-BCA Study Abroad support services before, during, and after the program

Scholarships available-Visit the BCA Study Abroad website for more information and to apply for scholarships!

Erika
Atglen, PA
Salem College

A "Grand" Experience of Immersion

"You're obviously foreign, are you American? Where are you from in America? Pennsylvania? Ah, you must be a fan of the Nittany Lions!"
This program not only immerses you in a new culture, but teaches you so much about your own. One simple exchange taught me how attuned many Irish, and indeed Europeans in general, tend to be regarding American lifestyle/politics/sports (I cannot tell you how many times I was asked about how I thought Donald Trump would fare in the primary!), even to the extent of knowing the Penn State mascot. And in turn, I was humbled to realize how much attention another culture pays to my country, which merely teaches small pieces of Irish history (and even then only the portions that directly affected us).
My best advice: don't expect to complete this program unchanged as a person.

If possible, try to place study abroad students in apartments with Irish students. It was difficult to navigate a completely new town (let alone country) at first, and it would have been nice to have some guidance.

Nathan
Fleming
Manchester University

Senior Semester Abroad

I was lucky enough to go abroad for my senior spring semester. I had been abroad for shorter time periods, but never for the length of time that I did while I was with the BCA program. I was immediately welcomed by Kieran, the on site coordinator and he very quickly became our groups friend. The housing on campus was excellent and the school is of a high caliber that I think was really a perfect challenge for me. I got involved with both a frisbee club on campus as well as another based on Dublin. With these two clubs I was able to travel across a large swatch of Ireland with people who knew the area very well. This was an amazing experience and I miss it on a daily basis.

I think the program was amazing it was super nice to have the monthly meal stipend I think that is something that makes the program super nice!

Meag
Exeter
Liberty University

Ireland!!

The most notable story that could benefit the study abroad department is a story of my first arrival to Ireland. After leaving the airport and by the grace of God finding some small shuttle about a mile from the airport, I came to the town of Maynooth. Home. We were made to drag all of our luggage by ourself about 2miles through the town and through the college to check in. I was dripping sweat and frustrated by the time I arrived to my apartment. The hot water unfortunately was not working and neither did the elevator to take my bags up to my floor. Housing had said they'd provide bedding but nobody received more than a bare pillow and scratchy cheap duvet. A lot was promised that frankly was not there. Therefore my first day was tough.

Shelby
Halstead, KS
Bethel College

BCA Learning Opportunities in Northern Ireland

Learning about the Northern Ireland conflict and peace process was a large component of this study abroad program. It opened my eyes to a European conflict I had never even heard about before arriving in Ireland. The BCA program has strong connections in Belfast through the Kennedy Institute at Maynooth. This allowed our group opportunities to learn about the Troubles first-hand from former political prisoners (from both sides) and from those involved in the peace process. We were fortunate enough to hear perspectives that most tourists do not when they visit Northern Ireland. It was an incredible, eye-opening experience that I will never forget.

Established in 1962, BCA Study Abroad has been committed to helping students understand contemporary issues by offering challenging and rewarding study abroad programs. From its start, BCA has focused its educational mission on engaging students with ideas that matter. As a result, students who participate