CAPA Dublin: Study & Intern Abroad

Cliffs of Moher
Cliffs of Moher
Temple Bar Dublin, Ireland
Temple Bar Dublin, Ireland

History and technology nestle side by side in Europe’s “Silicon Valley”. Dublin is energetic and charming, home to both a thriving youth culture and a mind-blowing past, especially when it comes to literature and music. Centuries-old castles and cathedrals mingle with a vibrant street art scene, trendy restaurants and creative independent shops. Dublin has always been a draw for explorers and still is, as its diversity, global city status and impressive number of international students will attest.

The CAPA Dublin program is based at Griffith College where 77 different nationalities are represented. Our distinctive blend of academic and experiential education takes your learning style, interests, preferences and independence into consideration. You’ll learn both inside the classroom and beyond, with field studies, excursions, and My Global City events. Plus you can choose to participate in a for-credit internship that will offer an incredible professional development opportunity.

CAPA Scholarships
CAPA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Each year, we award $1.5 million in study abroad scholarships, grants and affiliate benefits!

$500 - $5,000

Apply by December 15 and receive $300 off any Summer or Fall 2020 program!

The best answer I can give is that it really depends on the program the student is looking at. Some locations and CAPA programs have the capacity to accept and house more students (such as Australia and England), where as others like the Dublin program I went on or the Florence program, tend to have smaller numbers. My abroad group consisted of about 40 students, but that was also a couple years...

Abby

CAPA Dublin Fall 2018

I studied abroad through CAPA’s Dublin program for an entire semester.My two favorite things about CAPA’s program is their opportunity to do an internship and the attention they put towards making you feel like you’re truly apart of a community. There was only about 22 people in the program so we all bonded very quickly. CAPA organized so many events so that everybody could become a second family. From walking tours around Dublin on our first day to weekly lunches, movie and game nights, to thanksgiving dinner to side trips to places like Galway and Belfast. CAPA really put effort into making Dublin feel like a second home. Our three advisors were always there 24/7 to make us feel comfortable and safe our group always called them our Irish mom, dad, and big sister. When I think back to why I loved all of my experiences abroad it’s because of the people I was with.

By far the best part of being in Dublin was my internship. Before going abroad students send their resume and a general cover letter to CAPA and they set you up with a skype interview with an internship.I interned for a non profit organization called Fighting Words which was founded by popular Irish author Roddy Doyle. Fighting Words holds daily creative workshops for primary and secondary students. Students come to Fighting Words on a field trip.
In the morning we had a class of primary school children and I took turns with the other interns to teach the workshop where I would go through the basics and foundations of what a story needs such as a main character, title, plot. The kids worked together to come up with the story and they came up with the funniest things like a main character who is a french fry who’s greatest wish is to get a pet unicorn and is afraid of being dunked in ketchup and then they would break off into tables of 3 to 4 where an intern would sit with them and help them finish writing the story and create illustrations.
In the afternoon the secondary school students came and we’d give them a situation such as you’re both in trouble in the principal’s office but only one of you actually did it and then we’d have them improv a scene. We’d type out their dialogue and then we’d get the class to fill in the gaps and create a story and then they’d also break up into groups with an intern to finish writing their own stories. There was honestly no better feeling than getting a hug from a kid or to hear them walking out saying they wanna come back here everyday. It solidify my future career goals to be in education and work with students.
For doing this internship I got 6 credits and I worked 20 hours a week. Once a week CAPA held a night class where we discussed our internship. We learned how to “sell” our internship during interviews and we had to write reflections on our internship and what we learned about the culture. At the end of the semester we had to do a mock interview where we talked about abroad experience. These assignments and the class were where we earned our 6 credits from.

CAPA requires you to take a minimum of 12 credits so I had to take two classes along with my internship. I actually loved my internship so much that I wished I could’ve done it full time but I really enjoyed my classes as well. The first class I took was called Irish History & Culture. We met once a week for three hours. Each class was a 40 minute lecture about Irish history followed by a 2 hour field trip with in Dublin. These field trips included walking tours, visits to Trinity College, ChristChurch Cathedral, Dublin Castle, the Dublina museum, and the Irish Emigration museum. We were graded on our weekly reflection that were 800 words where we had to tie in the lecture from class to our experience on the field trip. The second class I took was a film studies class that also met once a week for 3 hours. We had an hour long lecture and then used the rest of the class for screening of that week’s film. We went through different units of various film genres such as Italian neorealism, French new wave, and road movies at the end of each unit we were assigned a paper where we picked a film to focus on and show how it exemplified that genre.

Being in Dublin was a memorable, life-changing and magical experience.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
That’s not to say that I didn’t face obstacles in my internship. Some of them were small such as my responsibility to write name tags for all the students. I would get a really Irish name such as Niamh or Aisling or Saorise and not to know how to spell it all. No matter how many times I asked them to say their name again or I tried to sound it out it got misspelled and I’d have to write a new name tag. It was very embarrassing because these were very common names to them.
One of the biggest obstacles was actually transportation. I used Dublin’s public buses to get around and it made me late on my first day of my internship. I had obviously looked up the correct number bus to take to my internship and I was all happy when I got in so proud I’d conquered it only to realize the bus was going in the wrong direction. I had forgot that in Ireland they drive on the wrong side of the road so I got on the correct number bus but I was on the opposite side of the road and got on the wrong loop of the bus. I called my supervisor in a panic and she completely understood but it was still stressful. In fact I was so overwhelmed about being late on my first day that I didn’t remember how I got to my internship once it was time to leave. The gps on my phone was being finnicky and I was literally walking through backroads and side street searching for a bus stop. I had no idea where I was and the location on the gps wasn’t moving and I couldn’t retrace my steps. It was only my first day but I like started crying in the middle of the street and I was ready to call my mom and tell her to pick me up I was like mom I don’t know where I am and I’m alone but you have to come find me and take me home. I eventually found a main road and a bus stop and it was fine but It really felt like the end of the world for five minutes. By the end of my time in Dublin that bus ride had become routine and I could do it with my eyes closed
My transportation issues didn’t stop there. A couple weeks later on the day I was supposed to lead the workshop for the first time I missed the bus I usually took. Most days I get to my internship early to help set up the space such as pencils and paper, but because of the bus I was going to get there just in time. However since I always got there so early all of my co workers and supervisors were worried about me. So my supervisor went to call me but all of my information sheets only had my American phone numbers and not my Irish number so my supervisor called the landline of my house and woke my mom up because of the time difference. Luckily I walked in while my supervisor was still on the phone with my mom. Later my supervisor asked me if I was nervous to lead the workshop and I said no honestly more nervous my mom is gonna yell at me on facetime for waking her up so early.
Katherine

CAPA in Dublin Summer 2019

I studied abroad in Dublin through the UF in Dublin program through the CAPA Program. I would recommend this program to anyone. I got the opportunity to have an internship abroad, take classes at UF and in Dublin, and got to be immersed in the culture. This program lets you have the opportunity to see the everyday life of a local, partake in weekly festivals, and travel Europe at such an affordable cost. CAPA had an amazing amount of workers abroad that were so friendly and there for me at all times. They gave us weekly newsletters letting us know what was going on around the city while also having us get the chance to see the Gaelic football stadium of Dublin. Our entire program went to a game and it was an amazing experience. I would 100% recommend this program to anyone.

I would have more excursions through the program and allow more opportunities to get involved in the program.
Clare

Perfect opportunity to both study and intern abroad

I really enjoyed my time with CAPA in Dublin. During the application process, they were really hands on and worked one on one with me to make sure I was not confused. The only issue I had was that it took a long time for my internship placement. I did not have my placement until the week that I left for Ireland. Other than that, it was all good. I ended up loving my internship at a water-sports company doing social media and marketing. I loved the Global Cities class and loved learning the history of Dublin while exploring it as well. I feel confident that my experience interning will give me that little extra on my resume. They took us to Belfast which was amazing. I also had plenty of time to travel all over Ireland and Scotland as well. I would recommend this program to someone who wants to both study and intern abroad.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I was nervous about getting around Dublin because I had never really used public transportation but CAPA gave us a leap card and I figured it out really quickly.
Hannah

Study Abroad in Dublin

My experience in Dublin while studying abroad with CAPA was decent. I enjoyed the city of Dublin and I enjoyed the environment. However, there was no anything special about the class that went along with the CAPA program. I will say that the professor who taught the course was very knowledgeable and kind, but I didn't learn anything I can use in my profession. The internship placement could have also been better for a lot of students including myself did not have a productive time interning. Some days I felt like I could have had just as great of an experience if I had gone to Ireland without participating in the CAPA program. However, the things that were great were really great (housing, transportation cards, newsletters, etc.) and those reasons made the trip worth it.

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment was when I took the bus the wrong way and ended up in the mountains when I was supposed to be headed to the city.
Nikki

Ireland is truly Underrated!

This country is beautiful no matter where you go! The people are brilliant and the program is fantastic! CAPA comes with the benefit of safety and fun education. Everything from travelling and exploring to learning and EVEN EXAMS are enjoyable! Their lifestyle is one worth witnessing and learning from :) The tour guides are hilarious and there are cuisines from all over the world. The reason CAPA stands out to me is how much they want their students to have a great time. They put in the effort to find the internship right for you and in my program a majority of the students got what they asked for. They accommodated us all in apartment style hotels that was in the city center. We could easily walk everywhere and were also provided with transport cards in case we wanted to take the train! They really do want their students to learn and grow!

Jennifer

BEST DECISION I HAVE MADE

Choosing to study and intern abroad with CAPA in Dublin was one of the best decisions I have made. The entire CAPA Dublin staff are incredible people who helped make my experience what it was. They truly care about the professional and personal development of students, as well as ensuring that each student gets the most of their time abroad.

Dublin as a city itself could not have been a more perfect fit. Dublin has all the charm of a small town feel, but all the amenities of a large, international city. Beyond this, the Irish culture is one that is very easy to dive into, and the people in Ireland are truly some of the nicest and kindest you will find anywhere.

The size of Griffith College was also a great benefit for me. Coming from a large public university in the states, I was very excited to trade that in for a semester and experience a smaller campus and student body size. This made the community feel much closer-knit.

I made some of my best, life-long friends during my time with CAPA in Dublin, and this is an opportunity that I hope everyone gets to experience!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Beef and Guinness stew! This is actually the first meal I ate when I arrived in Dublin and was very different from anything I've eaten before. I loved it though and it is a very nostalgic dish for me now!
Taylor

Time Warp

Studying abroad in Ireland was almost like witnessing the past and present combined. Everywhere you went to in Dublin revealed how deeply history is etched within the city. The history of Irish literature liters the streets through locations and monuments. The ever-changing business climate gives a sense of time traveling to those that take part in an internship.

While the past is always present, CAPA makes sure their students are living in the moment. Through immersive classes such as Darren Kelly's Global Cities class and excursions, CAPA makes sure all the students are aware of Ireland's history and culture through experiential learning. The experiential learning doesn't just stop after the exciting adventures either. Through internships, students gain hands-on experience applicable to their professional future.

Overall, CAPA offers a safe and exciting opportunity to study and intern while abroad!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment for me was stepping outside of my comfort zone and working internationally. I did all the research I could about the company I interned with beforehand, but the first day jitters were inevitable.
Jessica

Review of Studying and Interning with CAPA Dublin

I had a difficult decision deciding where I wanted to study abroad, but CAPA Dublin seemed to be the perfect fit for me. At Griffith College, I took a couple classes for my graphic design minor, learning about many Irish photographers and concepts with professors who were actively in the field. The CAPA advisors were some of the best people I have met, and were so helpful in settling in, learning the culture, and getting adjusted to our internship or classes. One last thing that CAPA was super beneficial for was the internship. I worked at the Screen Directors Guild of Ireland and had an experience that will last with me for the rest of my life, as well as add to my professional development.

Dublin had so many things to see and do, and Ireland was a great place to explore. Bus tickets were cheap to go to any major city in Ireland, and it only takes a few hours to go to Galway, Cork, or Belfast.

The living situation was convenient and right on campus, only a 20 minute walk from Dublin city center. The people I met at Griffith College were so friendly and helpful. I highly recommend CAPA - everyone I have met has been super helpful and welcoming!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Black and white pudding - it's a type of meat served with an Irish Breakfast. You'll just have to try it for yourself!
Eileen

Once-in-a-lifetime experience that I would want to do again!

What I mostly gained from my experience abroad was development of professional skills, such as time management because I had to balance my time between school work and traveling to make the most of my trip. It was also eye-opening to meet different people from different backgrounds. What I liked most about the program is that they provide you a public transportation card and individual free time, so I was able to travel around the city with my friends either shopping for souvenirs or sightseeing. With that being said, one piece of advise I would give to anyone thinking about traveling abroad in general is: bring more money (to either exchange currency or have a credit card that does not charge a fee for foreign transactions)! This has impacted my life post-program because now, I am more confident in traveling independently abroad!

Some improvements that could be made: providing more pre-paid meals, more local student interaction, airport pick-up & drop-off assistance
Jen

A Breath Of Fresh Air

The CAPA Dublin Internship Program was a breath of fresh air! It allowed me to go beyond my horizons and step outside my comfort zone by exploring a whole new world. The locals were so kind and friendly. Dublin was really easy to navigate through and CAPA even provided an unlimited bus pass! I made so many new friends within and outside of my program. I definite recommend on talking to the locals when you have the chance to understand the culture and lifestyle. Ireland is so gorgeous and green! I recommend checking out the coastal towns and markets. The CAPA advisors gave me a warm welcome and were super helpful when need be. The apartments had kitchens so we were able to buy groceries and eat in than going out. I was able to save money in order to travel around Ireland and outside of it.

Katrina

CAPA Dublin: Griffith College

My experience in Dublin was amazing! I was a little nervous to stay in a foreign country for a semester where I did not know anyone but once I got off the plane I was greeted my Griffith College students who made us feel welcomed. I am a communications major and Griffith had a ton of communication courses that I was able to choose from. I also was able to inter at a non-profit who's mission was to help promote education for people who are going back to school. One of my favorite parts about Dublin were the pretty hiking trails that they have to offer. One of my favorite memories was going to the Cliffs of Moher. After going abroad I really want to promote studying abroad. It is a great opportunity to travel and intern in a foreign country. It has made me more independent and given me insight to other countries around the world.

I do not really have many suggestions for improvements. I wish that I was able to apply for a visa at home instead of having to do it when I got to Ireland. It just made the process slower.
Grace
Grace

Best Three Months of My Life

Studying abroad this past summer in Dublin with this CAPA program truly did give me the best three months of my life. I learned so much about Irish culture, intercultural competence, and especially myself during this experience that helped shape me into who I am today.

The on-site administration of the program in Dublin were fantastic! They were very personable and always willing to help us with whatever we needed. I was also very pleased with the housing, an "aparthotel" called Staycity. The location was perfect, the lobby was open 24/7 with receptionists, and the apartments were cleaned once a week. I really enjoyed living there!

I absolutely loved studying abroad in Dublin and would go back in a heartbeat. This program included everything needed to have a worry-free, fun, and safe experience abroad in a city that I love.

Brandon

Once-In-A-Lifetime Experience

I loved studying abroad in Dublin! The courses were not as academically rigorous as my home university, but that was acceptable for me because I was more interested in exploring and becoming immersed in the culture than focusing on my academics. However, Griffith College had great student resources and there was a lot of support from professors if you needed assistance.

The on-site CAPA staff were absolutely amazing! They were incredibly helpful and cared so much about us having a great time abroad. I cannot thank them enough for all of the support they provided and how comfortable they made me feel.

Housing was more than adequate. I lived in a 2-bedroom suite with a separate kitchen and living room. Each bedroom had 2 people and its own separate bathroom, and it was all very comfortable. I cooked my own meals, but you could buy food at the university. It was more expensive than cooking for yourself, however, so I preferred to do that.

In terms of finances, I chose to spend less on groceries (i.e. ate a lot of rice and beans) so I could spend more money on going out and eating at restaurants. Dublin can be expensive if you choose to constantly go out every night, but if you are thrifty and figure out where to cut costs, it is manageable. I spent around $4,000 in total during my time abroad, which includes various trips around Europe.

Dublin is a very open and welcoming place. My internship also allowed me to gain greater cultural competence and interact with local Irish people. I would highly recommend taking advantage of the internship CAPA provides if you wish to become integrated with local culture. I never felt unsafe in Dublin. I walked most of the city at night at varying points and was never afraid for my personal safety. Common sense should be kept in mind at all times, however, and as a male I have a natural privilege in terms of safety.

I never had any health issues while abroad, so I cannot speak to this personally. CAPA provides you with health insurance, however, so I never felt stressed about the possibility of a health issue.

The program has a class that taught you Irish (Gaelic), but I didn't participate. That being said, some of my friends took the course and they were taken on field trips to practice their language skills.

I gained greater cultural competence and greater confidence in myself as an independent individual. I traveled Europe and lived abroad in another country for months, and this gave me an incredible sense of my identity and made me a better person. It was completely worthwhile.

More integration with local students
Molly

Completely Amazing!

I gained lifelong friendships with both Americans and other international students, studied business from an international perspective, and was able to network with people in my industry all over the world! The CAPA staff in Dublin were incredibly helpful with everything! They were always around if we needed anything from academics, travel recommendations, or even just someone to chat with.
It was incredibly worthwhile and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Katie

CAPA Dublin

This program was a great way to intern abroad. i study finance and was able to work for a bank in Ireland, allowing me to diversify my resume and gain critical experience needed to finding a job in the US. The support system with CAPA was great in that they were always on campus and around to answer travel questions of make recommendations. the classes were challenging but very useful as well. I would absolutely recommend this program.

The only thing to note is that housing is European and small.

Location:
57 F / 37 F
Airports:
Dublin
( DUB )

Dublin is the capital of the Republic of Ireland and is the largest city in the country teeming with pubs, castles, museums and Irish step dancing.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About CAPA: The Global Education Network

Studying abroad with CAPA means learning in the classroom, then supporting that structured academic foundation by going beyond and experiencing the diverse global city firsthand. You’ll do this through field studies and cultural events as well as on...