CAPA Dublin: Study & Intern Abroad

CAPA Dublin: Study & Intern Abroad

Try and nab the luck of the Irish when you find yourself in Dublin, Ireland. Established as a Viking settlement in the 10th century, Dublin has always been a city for true explorers. Check out the medieval quarter to see history come alive among the castles and cathedrals of years past. Walk around the cultural quarter to discover new restaurants and markets to try with friends after class. Make your way to the creative quarter for some inspiration in design and creativity. Get motivated and be motivating as you discover a new city, and new parts of yourself.

Get out of the typical classroom and turn your study abroad city into a place you can learn from. CAPA specializes in customizing your experience— from everything to what classes you’re interested in to what kind of housing you’ll live in. Our internships will give you the skillsets you’ll need to succeed in your career. Each of our centers are unique to the places they’re located, and everyone there will help you feel at home.

Europe » Ireland » Dublin
Resume
Cover Letter
Letters of Recommendation
Age Requirement
The Program Fee includes tuition, optional internship, housing, My Global Education cultural program, bus pass for Dublin city, excursions to Belfast, a hop-on hop-off bus tour of Dublin, and to the Cliffs of Moher (for semester students only), access to Griffith College Student Union, and medical/travel insurance, and CAPA support and services including a 24-hour emergency phone line.

Madison

An Unforgettable Experience

My time in Dublin was the best of my life. I met friends that I consider to be family now and still keep in touch with. It was a growing experience and I loved every second of it. The CAPA staff was beyond helpful in making us feel safe and comfortable. I NEVER felt unsafe in Dubiln. I really learned a lot about Irish history, and the internship component of the trip really made me culturally aware and it is a experience that I feel will really set me apart from others when applying for jobs.

Nathan

Go Abroad With CAPA!

I've always been interested in Ireland as a country, but when I started considering study abroad as an opportunity Dublin wasn't a city that even crossed my mind before I came across CAPA. I thought studying abroad meant moving to a country where everyone speaks a different language and lives a different lifestyle, and I was bracing myself to spend a year taking gen eds before trying my best to catch up on important courses in my senior year.

However, CAPA's Dublin program shockingly included every single course I needed to stay on track for the year, with a wide variety of business, marketing, writing and communications classes on offer. Likewise, I quickly realized that even though the Irish use the same words, learning how they communicate is almost as difficult as mastering a new language.

While I was initially disappointed by my internship placement in an on-campus office, since I'd been looking forward to getting out into the city of Dublin, it ended up being a great experience, allowing me to work alongside people from a variety of countries, and cater to students from around the world.

Whether you're interested in living in Ireland, or are just looking into study abroad in general, I highly recommend CAPA!

Jacquelyn
University of Tampa

Pick Capa Dublin!

I couldn't be more happy with my decision to study abroad through CAPA's Dublin Program. CAPA gave me the opportunity of a lifetime and I am so thankful for that. Studying abroad in Dublin was a fun, eyeopening, educational, and beyond worthwhile experience. I would recommend this program and country to anyone interested in studying abroad. Dublin is fit for all people looking to have an unbelievable time while abroad!

The program does not need any improvements!

Izzie
Worcester, Massachusetts

Growing and Learning in Dublin

My study abroad experience with CAPA Dublin was really enlightening. I chose to attend the summer 2016 program, as I wasn’t able to go during a traditional semester. This was one of the best decisions I could have made for myself, as I was able to gain independence and confidence. When I arrived I was expecting there to be more direct guidance and help to get us settled. I was intimidated by having to navigate the city for myself. CAPA really allows their students to orient themselves in the city which I was grateful for in the long run. This forced me to step outside my comfort zone and get to know things on my own and with my peers. That being said, the CAPA staff is incredibly supportive if you reach out with any specific questions. For example, I got sick my second week in Dublin and the staff was quick and helpful in setting up an appointment for me and getting me directions.

Aside from personal growth, through this program I was able to learn a lot about Dublin and make some great friends. Going into the program I didn’t know anyone, but by the time I left I had made some wonderful connections with the CAPA team, my peers, and some locals! The relationships that I made while abroad allowed me to get to know people from different places and backgrounds. I also learned a lot about the city of Dublin through the Global Cities class. This class enabled us to learn about the city and then go out and see for ourselves what we were reading. Another great way I learned about the city was just by walking most places, it’s amazing the things you notice. The hands on learning style was also implemented through the internship class, as we were able to learn and then apply ourselves on site. My internship was with a yoga studio right down the street from Griffith College, and I had a great experience getting to know all of the wonderful people that were a part of the community.

Aydali
San Luis, Arizona

There is no place like Ireland!

I interned at a social media monitoring company called Olytico, and a month into the internship the team invited me to be a part of their quarterly review in which they go on a city field trip. While reviewing the company's progress for the last couple of months we went to the leprechaun museum, practised storytelling with the help of two theatre producers and participated in a play in the Dublin Theatre Festival. This was definitely the most random yet memorable day I had in Dublin. Cracking up at the tour guide's jokes at the museum, stepping outside of my comfort zone with storytelling and running through the halls of a Georgian house with actresses as part of an interactive play made me much more of a local than if I had simply taken classes abroad. The internship is what made the difference between an ordinary study abroad experience and an absolutely amazing one.

The CAPA people on site were a bit unorganized, but nothing major.

Courtney
Newberry, FL
University of Florida

Bloomin' in Dublin Spring 2016

Finding CAPA's Dublin program was one of the luckiest moments of my life. I honestly did not understand how incredible of an opportunity it was until I got there. Dublin is a great city; we always described it as an international city with a small town feel. It was easy navigate and easy to love.
Living on campus and having an internship abroad truly immersed us in Irish culture. Our on campus staff were there all day to chat with or check in with if necessary. I got sick while abroad, and CAPA made that a lot less stressful. Furthermore, my internship was fantastic. I learned a lot about myself, but I was also able to meet people many different generations in Ireland, and I know that I made connections that will last a lifetime. Outside of my internship, I was able to make friends with some of the kindest, funniest people that I still speak to today.
Besides being the first thing commented upon on my resume, this experience is one of the first things I mention about myself. It truly made me more confident, more introspective, and happier. I am so grateful for the opportunities that CAPA presented to us & how it continues to further success and happiness in my life.

The only way that I could see this program improving is by facilitating more opportunities for us to integrate into the country. I took one course at Griffith College, and it was through CAPA. We had lots of international students, but I only made friends with the CAPA students in that course. Additionally, I think providing opportunities to volunteer in Dublin would help the program be even more successful.

Taylor
_

My Time in Dublin with CAPA

My experience in Dublin was amazing. The CAPA program had me studying at Griffith College, just a 20 min walk (less than 10 on the bus) from city center, and interning at Island Key Childcare. I thoroughly enjoyed my courses; compared to my home institution they were not as academically challenging, but I learned a lot and had a great time. Dublin is a diverse and growing city that has so much to offer any college student.

This program could be improved by adding in a few more included excursions, it is very expensive and should include at least one more trip in Ireland, but they should at least offer pre-planned trips for an additional cost. Griffith College could use some serious updates, but that is not in the control of the CAPA program and did not have a significant impact on my time.

Elizabeth
West Hartford, Connecticut
Simmons College

It Takes a Leap

I have to say, I have written a bunch about CAPA and how much it has changed my life. I am unsure what life would have been like had I not gotten accepted. My life right now is all about international affairs, and I can thank having connections and a beautiful team behind me letting me know that I was going to thrive.
I have always wanted to live abroad, and through the course of 5 months I was whisked away to a wonderful world of Irish culture and environment. I traveled the country and drove a car as I explored many cities you have and haven't heard of. I saw castles in the middle of nowhere and a lot of houses that had land for miles. I think the best moment was looking over the sea coast on the last day of the trip and knowing that I had done everything I had set to do and done it with the confidence I never realized I had. It has been natural guts mixed with a wonderful team whom I hope to never forget. I will absolutely come back to visit!

Lily
Winter Park, FL
Rollins College

I went home.

While abroad, most of my time was spent interning back and forth between two theatres in Dublin, so I only had one class each week. We met Tuesday evenings for about an hour and a half. The class material was enlightening and engaging, but not difficult in nature. The first few weeks we focused on learning about the Irish culture/workplace, and then the class became a general internship course. "Homework" assignments would usually consist of self-reflection papers, watching a video and writing a response, creating a powerpoint, etc. We had one big group presentation, and one out of class mock interview. The workload was absolutely doable, but some of the assignments seemed unnecessary a couple of times.

The CAPA administrators in Dublin were incredible! From our day of arrival to our departure, they were always readily available to answer our questions and give dining/shopping/touring suggestions. They were very responsive to their emails and easily approachable in person. There were attacks in Europe during my time abroad this summer, and the CAPA team handled it like pros and made sure that everyone checked in and was safe. I know that we were in good hands.

I lived at Lad Lane Apartments. CAPA utilized many different housing areas for their students in Dublin, and this was mine. The staff were always so kind and ready to assist, so I will give them credit for that. However, it took almost two weeks to get my own key for the flat (I relied on my flatmates to always be around to let me in) and the wifi was not always reliable. The shower head didn't have a place to hook into the wall, so you had to hold it the entire time you were bathing. The flats were in a fairly good area, though. I never really felt unsafe if I was walking around alone, and it was within walking distance of a grocery store, pharmacy, several great pubs, and a couple American fast food chain restaurants. I was happy to come home to my charming little flat at the end of the day.

In regards to dining, I like to call my time abroad, "The Fish and Chips Tour of Ireland". The food was absolutely incredible, and yes, I indulged in so many fish and chips. Whenever I missed home, there was a Burger King right by my flat, so I went there a few times. The Irish are big fans of Thai food, so I tried some Thai a few times and it was great. But the traditional pubs were my favorite, by far. The food was amazing, the atmosphere was cozy and musical, and there was never an unfriendly face.

It did not take me very long to integrate myself with the Irish culture. My ancestry is heavily Irish and I was so incredibly excited about this study abroad experience, that I wasted no time thrusting myself into the Dublin scene. I frequented pubs to eat and listen to music, I toured the city and the rest of the country during every spare moment I had, and made friends with my coworkers. I made sure to spend just as much time alone and traveling as I did traveling with other people, because I learn best if I am on my own. I also made it a point to hang out with more Irish people than Americans, and it shows. I quickly picked up on the behaviors, the way that they talk and express themselves, etc. I still catch myself saying that, "I'm grand". I admire their culture for many things, but above all else, the Irish are friendly and accepting. I miss it so much.

I had no health emergencies during my time abroad. I know that during my second weekend in town I got what I call the "traveler's sickness": sore throat, tired, congestion, etc. It passed within 24 hours. I had a slightly sore throat at one point a few weeks later, but it was easily remedied with cough drops and tea. I
am unaware of any big health emergencies that occurred with other students in the program, but CAPA did a great job of making sure we knew where to get medical help if we needed it, where the pharmacies were and what resources they provided, and how to contact them if something happened.

I never felt unsafe once in Dublin. The people there were all so kind, hospitable, and carefree. Everybody jay-walked, and everybody helped strangers if they needed directions. Even when I got lost on my third day in town, I did not feel unsafe (just very turned around). I still wouldn't advise women to walk around alone at night, and always use good discretion since Ireland has a definite alcohol culture. But I never felt terribly unsafe in our city.

Rollins did well when it came to prepping me to go abroad. They sent plenty of information out, held one-on-one meetings, and we had a pre-departure orientation where our Campus CAPA Ambassador came and talked to us about her experience in Dublin. All of this, plus a LOT of personal research and prep, assured me that I was ready to go.

I worked mornings-early afternoon at Bewley's Cafe Theatre, located in Dublin City Centre. I prepped the theatre space for shows, folded playbills, seated guests, flyered around city, helped with administrative work, and guest relations.

I worked late afternoons-evenings at The Viking Theatre at Sheds, located in Clontarf (a northern part of Dublin city). I did a lot of marketing and publicity work. I flyered, organized lists of groups to reach out to for promotions, managed social media accounts, designed promo emails, etc.

Go out and sit in a pub and just talk to people. Seriously. I made plenty of friends in my workplace and that was a great base. But I made so many friends just by being friendly and having conversations with the people.

As long as we were respectful, they reciprocated. Most of the Irish people that I met loved Americans and were as fascinated by us as we were by them.

When I wasn't walking then I was taking the bus. It got me most everywhere that I went. I took the train a couple of times in town if I wanted to go to the most northern or southern parts of town. I only cabbed if I had to. Using the bus was the most convenient, and after getting used to it, it proved most effective.

I just appreciate people so much more. It is so important to appreciate the differences in people and this experience reminded me of that. At the end of the day, we're all just people. I wouldn't change a single thing about my time abroad. The weekly class got annoying at times, but my internships were eye-opening and the out of class travel was life-changing. In a way, I found myself.

Some of the class assignments felt unnecessary.

I wish there had been more info given on how to navigate the city using public transit.

Nicole
Standish
Lasell College

Dublin: My Greatest Adventure

I chose to study abroad in Dublin, Ireland. It was the best decision I could have made.

During my time abroad I was an intern at a social media analysis company. The experience was enriching and positive; never a dull moment. I was able to tap into my major - Journalism, use innovation to suggest ideas, present content I researched, and pitch ideas to the young team. Overall, I am so glad I did my internship abroad - nothing can compare.

Some highlights from my experience abroad are travel, internship, and friendship. All three of those aspects of my experience abroad helped shape who I am and instilled me with new perspectives on the world and myself; the world is a much bigger place than we realize, but that is the beauty of study abroad. You get to see it from your own eyes and perspectives and make connections around the globe.

Honestly, it is hard to pinpoint anything CAPA could improve because they are proactive and continue to improve all the time.

Angela
Vienna
Hood College

Can I go back?

My CAPA study abroad experience was more than I could have ever hoped for. I not only got to learn in and explore a wonderful country and meet some incredible, lifelong friends, but I was helped along the way by some of the nicest, more genuine people I have ever met.

Dublin was my utterly amazing experience for me and CAPA is a big part in why I got to enjoy it so much. They helped to facilitate one of the best times of my life and I will be forever thankful for that. I got to truly experience Dublin as a resident and learned so much about myself and the world around me. Including the wonderful amazing things everyone has to offer by bringing their own unique background to the table.

I would wholeheartedly recommend CAPA and specifically CAPA Dublin to anyone considering a semester abroad.

Abby
Troy, MO
Missouri Baptist University

Only Four Months of Experiences, but a Lifetime of Memories

Studying abroad will always be one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I gain so much confidence and knowledge about myself, but I also learned cultural competence and a respect for the differences between all the cultures with which I came into contact. I will always be glad I took the leap of faith to study in Dublin, because I knew no one in my program and I was the only person from the Midwest. I had to break out of my introverted shell a bit and I became all the better for it. I was able to travel all over Ireland, learn about Irish history in one of my classes, and experience almost all areas of Irish life.

Ciara
Connecticut

CAPA Dublin: An Experience of a Lifetime

I studied abroad with CAPA in spring 2016 and it was a life changing experience. Between both studying and interning in Dublin, I was fully immersed in Irish culture in every way possible. I got to explore a career path that I now plan to pursue after graduation and made so many connections that will serve me well in the future. The smaller size of the program in comparison to others that my friends have completed allowed everyone to get to know each other really well and experience the country together. I made lifelong friends who I still speak to regularly. Dublin truly became my home and I cannot be more grateful for all of the opportunities I had while there as well as all of the opportunities I have gotten through CAPA after my return home. I cannot speak highly enough of this program!!

Bailey
Melbourne

Dublin is the ultimate study abroad location

Going to Dublin was adventure! I was very fortunate that my internship placement was incredible. I was able to work with an award-winning, creative ad agency in Dublin. During my time there, we hosted a promotional event at a local pub for the brand Orchard Thieves. At the event, we had Shaggy,the rapper, perform radio hits and we had photos shoots with local artists. It was an amazing experience!

Selfishly, I wish the program was longer - it ended too soon. Also, I wish we could have met our directors and professor over Skype before we went to Dublin. The only other suggestion is the internship placement was later than I would have liked. I think our application was very in depth and detailed, but we didn't interview until a month out. I am a type A personality and I would have liked to know my internship earlier.

Kate
worcester MA

Dublin the Fair City!

Dublin is a great city-a lot going on but small enough that you will know your way around sooner than you may think. The CAPA program advisers are right on campus and such wonderful people, willing and able to help with anything you might need. Also, through CAPA you are able to get an internship abroad, an experience that is invaluable and will look great on a resume!
One of my favorite parts of being in Dublin was Thursday nights-two friends and I went to the same pub each Thursday, where we got to know the bartenders and the two guys that played live music. It wasn't a night to drink too much or go wild, just a chance for us to be immersed in the local culture and become "regulars" if just for three months. On the last night the band dedicated a song to us and I got to go on stage and sing with them for the whole bar. Just traveling to other countries is great, but being part of a city for long enough to make relationships like those are what made it so worth it to me.

My internship was not what I had hoped it would be. I still learned a lot, but I felt underworked and wished I had a different placement. So my only critique of the program would be I wish they had made sure at all of the internship sites that there was a clear role for us interns and guaranteed work. (That being said, most people in my program had good experiences so not everyone had my issue!)

Sydney
cincinnati, Ohio

CAPA Dublin Study and Intern

The program as a whole is amazing. The staff are supportive throughout the entire process (even during applying). The CAPA classes are very fun and I learned way more than I thought I would about Dublin. CAPA also gives its students the opportunity to feel at home in the city by providing bus passes and encouraging cultural immersion--the staff are Irish as well. There are also opportunities to explore the country, such as going to Cliffs of Moher or Belfast. I highly recommend the CAPA program!

I would change the living situation. I lived with 3 other American students and would have preferred to live with students from Europe instead.

Jane
Amherst, Massachusetts
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

CAPA was the best experience of my life. Hands down.

I owe all who I am today to CAPA. Without them, I wouldn't have had two other incredible internships after. Dress for Success Dublin was more than welcoming to me. They are the sweetest people. I never felt afraid or homesick while I was away, but I'm certainly homesick for Dublin now that I'm back.

I would say the Griffith College beds could be better, but that's it!

Griffin
Amherst, MA
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Friendliest People in Europe

There was one weekend where my roommates were all traveling and I was on campus by myself, I took a walk into the city center. I walked to Temple Bar where I saw an amazing street performance that drew in a large crowd. Afterwards I stepped into one of the pubs to have a pint, and was immediately welcomed by a group of people at the bar. Realizing that I was by myself, they invited me to have a pint with them and the rest of the afternoon was filled with great craic with a bunch of friendly strangers.

More networking opportunities beforehand with both people in the CAPA program, as well as with students throughout Griffith College and even throughout Dublin altogether.

Brianna
Buffalo, New York

Dublin: Home Away From Home

I would definitely recommend Dublin as a study abroad location! Dublin is a great city filled with great diversity, but still rich in Irish history and culture. The people in Ireland are truly kind and willing to help. The Irish are very proud of their country and love to welcome people to experience the country they are so proud of. Dublin is an easy city to adapt to because it is so easy to get around. Within no time, I was able to feel comfortable in Dublin and call it home. There is so much to learn about Dublin and the country as a whole. There are always places to visit or see in Dublin, during free time. Dublin is a rich, lively city that took my heart very quickly.

I LOVE IRELAND

Amount of time it took for home institution to receive grades from the semester abroad, but i understand it is an important lengthy process.

Jonathan
San Ramon, CA
Arizona State University

Best Experience Of My Life!!

Pros-
Great experience working and taking classes abroad
CAPA faculty are willing to help you with anything
Friendly people
Making lifelong friends from around the world
Easy to travel around the country using public transportation
Great food from around the world
Everyone is passionate about sports

Cons-
Living area was small (Dorms)

What do you want to get out of your study abroad experience? No matter what, you’ll have to spend some time in the classroom. But what if there were a way to get out into your new city and truly live what you learn?

Welcome