CAPA Dublin: Study & Intern Abroad

Try and nab the luck of the Irish when you find yourself in Dublin, Ireland. Established as a Viking settlement in the 10th century, Dublin has always been a city for true explorers. Check out the medieval quarter to see history come alive among the castles and cathedrals of years past. Walk around the cultural quarter to discover new restaurants and markets to try with friends after class. Make your way to the creative quarter for some inspiration in design and creativity. Get motivated and be motivating as you discover a new city, and new parts of yourself.

Get out of the typical classroom and turn your study abroad city into a place you can learn from. CAPA specializes in customizing your experience— from everything to what classes you’re interested in to what kind of housing you’ll live in. Our internships will give you the skillsets you’ll need to succeed in your career. Each of our centers are unique to the places they’re located, and everyone there will help you feel at home.

The best answer I can give is that it really depends on the program the student is looking at. Some locations and CAPA programs have the capacity to accept and house more students (such as Australia and England), where as others like the Dublin program I went on or the Florence program, tend to have smaller numbers. My abroad group consisted of about 40 students, but that was also a couple years...

Jen

A Breath Of Fresh Air

The CAPA Dublin Internship Program was a breath of fresh air! It allowed me to go beyond my horizons and step outside my comfort zone by exploring a whole new world. The locals were so kind and friendly. Dublin was really easy to navigate through and CAPA even provided an unlimited bus pass! I made so many new friends within and outside of my program. I definite recommend on talking to the locals when you have the chance to understand the culture and lifestyle. Ireland is so gorgeous and green! I recommend checking out the coastal towns and markets. The CAPA advisors gave me a warm welcome and were super helpful when need be. The apartments had kitchens so we were able to buy groceries and eat in than going out. I was able to save money in order to travel around Ireland and outside of it.

Katrina

CAPA Dublin: Griffith College

My experience in Dublin was amazing! I was a little nervous to stay in a foreign country for a semester where I did not know anyone but once I got off the plane I was greeted my Griffith College students who made us feel welcomed. I am a communications major and Griffith had a ton of communication courses that I was able to choose from. I also was able to inter at a non-profit who's mission was to help promote education for people who are going back to school. One of my favorite parts about Dublin were the pretty hiking trails that they have to offer. One of my favorite memories was going to the Cliffs of Moher. After going abroad I really want to promote studying abroad. It is a great opportunity to travel and intern in a foreign country. It has made me more independent and given me insight to other countries around the world.

I do not really have many suggestions for improvements. I wish that I was able to apply for a visa at home instead of having to do it when I got to Ireland. It just made the process slower.
Grace

Best Three Months of My Life

Studying abroad this past summer in Dublin with this CAPA program truly did give me the best three months of my life. I learned so much about Irish culture, intercultural competence, and especially myself during this experience that helped shape me into who I am today.

The on-site administration of the program in Dublin were fantastic! They were very personable and always willing to help us with whatever we needed. I was also very pleased with the housing, an "aparthotel" called Staycity. The location was perfect, the lobby was open 24/7 with receptionists, and the apartments were cleaned once a week. I really enjoyed living there!

I absolutely loved studying abroad in Dublin and would go back in a heartbeat. This program included everything needed to have a worry-free, fun, and safe experience abroad in a city that I love.

Brandon

Once-In-A-Lifetime Experience

I loved studying abroad in Dublin! The courses were not as academically rigorous as my home university, but that was acceptable for me because I was more interested in exploring and becoming immersed in the culture than focusing on my academics. However, Griffith College had great student resources and there was a lot of support from professors if you needed assistance.

The on-site CAPA staff were absolutely amazing! They were incredibly helpful and cared so much about us having a great time abroad. I cannot thank them enough for all of the support they provided and how comfortable they made me feel.

Housing was more than adequate. I lived in a 2-bedroom suite with a separate kitchen and living room. Each bedroom had 2 people and its own separate bathroom, and it was all very comfortable. I cooked my own meals, but you could buy food at the university. It was more expensive than cooking for yourself, however, so I preferred to do that.

In terms of finances, I chose to spend less on groceries (i.e. ate a lot of rice and beans) so I could spend more money on going out and eating at restaurants. Dublin can be expensive if you choose to constantly go out every night, but if you are thrifty and figure out where to cut costs, it is manageable. I spent around $4,000 in total during my time abroad, which includes various trips around Europe.

Dublin is a very open and welcoming place. My internship also allowed me to gain greater cultural competence and interact with local Irish people. I would highly recommend taking advantage of the internship CAPA provides if you wish to become integrated with local culture. I never felt unsafe in Dublin. I walked most of the city at night at varying points and was never afraid for my personal safety. Common sense should be kept in mind at all times, however, and as a male I have a natural privilege in terms of safety.

I never had any health issues while abroad, so I cannot speak to this personally. CAPA provides you with health insurance, however, so I never felt stressed about the possibility of a health issue.

The program has a class that taught you Irish (Gaelic), but I didn't participate. That being said, some of my friends took the course and they were taken on field trips to practice their language skills.

I gained greater cultural competence and greater confidence in myself as an independent individual. I traveled Europe and lived abroad in another country for months, and this gave me an incredible sense of my identity and made me a better person. It was completely worthwhile.

More integration with local students
Molly

Completely Amazing!

I gained lifelong friendships with both Americans and other international students, studied business from an international perspective, and was able to network with people in my industry all over the world! The CAPA staff in Dublin were incredibly helpful with everything! They were always around if we needed anything from academics, travel recommendations, or even just someone to chat with.
It was incredibly worthwhile and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Katie

CAPA Dublin

This program was a great way to intern abroad. i study finance and was able to work for a bank in Ireland, allowing me to diversify my resume and gain critical experience needed to finding a job in the US. The support system with CAPA was great in that they were always on campus and around to answer travel questions of make recommendations. the classes were challenging but very useful as well. I would absolutely recommend this program.

The only thing to note is that housing is European and small.
Arielle

Dublin: The City I'll Never Forget with People Who Have Changed Me Forever

Of course I made life long friends, but I also gained personal values and skills that will stick with me for the rest of my life. CAPA allowed me to develop myself, my understanding of the world and life, and realize how trivial we all can be. I had a chance to step out of my bubble I call America, and see myself, my society for what it truly is. I changed the way I view other cultures because America has fairly ethnocentric views for being a "melting pot" of a country. I had the chance to travel to places where english was NOT their first language so I adapted (so use to the other way around). I even had the chance to intern in Dublin so I had a chance to not only learn about another culture but to work IN that culture. Some experiences are hard for me to verbalize but I promise to anyone, you won't regret a single day. Even if you just lay in bed and procrastinate on your work (which we all do), you will enjoy that lazy day in Ireland. CAPA had all turns, curves, drops, excursions, etc. planned and figured out prior to me even registering for the program. Any question or concern I had during my stay was answered on site or within a few hours. CAPA is prepared and BEYOND qualified to be your study abroad host.

I wish I could have set up my internship schedule prior to going to Ireland (which would require CAPA to place us sooner than they did upon arriving to our site) to allow me to have time to plan trips and have holidays sorted. Being able to plan weekend trips early is vital to saving money on flights and hotels/hostels/airbnbs/etc. I felt I lost time to travel because setting up a work schedule while trying to select my classes and adjust to that schedule was frustrating and confusing.
Rebecca

CAPA Abroad Dublin

This experience was absolutely incredible. I was given the tools to work professionally and effectively through my internship opportunity with the Bridge Project. Bridge allowed me to work directly and indirectly with previously violent offenders (males). It is an organization that fights recidivism in the Dublin community, as well as promotes strong and healthy relationships with the men and their probation officers. There, I was able to work on several projects immersing myself and the men into the community. This experience couldn't have happened without CAPA's dedication to getting their student's into internships. Academically, I was challenged through a diverse mix of cultural courses, and found I was very ignorant to world history/Ireland history before this experience, so I gained so much from CAPA's curriculum and Griffith College's courses as well. .

Ella

Culturally Integrative Experience which Fostered Growth and Independence

The academic experience was exactly what I was looking for in a study abroad program: it was challenging to the extent that it kept me interested and engaged, but lenient enough that it allowed me to explore my international city, learn from experience, and become more independent in the process.The administrative and organizational CAPA staff in Dublin were phenomenal. Not only did they provide a platform of social and emotional support, but were extremely engaged in our academic and experiential lives. Any issue I had at all, they were easily and readily accessible and always eager to help.I decided to partake in an internship while I was abroad, and thus I felt extremely integrated in the local community and culture. My bosses and colleagues were all Irish and we were heavily immersed in the Irish working class community, as well as the youth community. In terms of housing and living. At times it did feel a l little isolated being on a university campus, however, a majority of the students living on campus were international thus it was easy to meet new people not in the program and build those connections. Dublin felt like an extremely safe city. We were new to the city and though it took us a couple weeks to navigate the city and the public transportation system, during this process of navigation all members of the public were so helpful in directing you to the right way, or recommending places to eat/drink/tour/see. The sense of community in Dublin is astounding and whether you are from Ireland or not, they always make a point to make you feel included as well as safe. Dublin is a city and thus I would not recommend anything reckless or dangerous, and since it is a city, to simply use common sense, however, I did not once feel like I was in danger in any sort of way. CAPA is unique in that it allows you to use an internship as a form of experiential learning, an extremely important aspect of education in my opinion. I loved feeling connected to the community, and simply living in Ireland. I truly fell in love with the city and wish I could go back and spend another year there.

Profile
Shannon

I love Dublin with all my heart

The classes were very informative and I learned a lot that I would not have experienced in the United States. The CAPA Dublin staff are amazing and very helpful with every aspect of the study abroad experience. I felt as though I was one of the locals and felt very immersed into Irish culture. I interacted with Irish locals daily through my internship and classes. CAPA Dublin offered me so many amazing opportunities that I will be forever grateful for. I learned so much through my internship and classes. Met so many great people and visited the most incredible places. I learned that it doesn't matter where you come from, your age or problems you face, you can make this experience what you want it to be. Don't be afraid to not do something just because you've never tried it before. Studying abroad is all about taking risks and exploring all the world has to offer.

There isn't anything I can think of, I had an amazing experience and loved every minute of it.
Jaylin

Delve into Dublin

Dublin was the expereience of a lifetime, from learning more about a country I've dreamt of visiting since I was a child and all its history. Meeting the friendly locals, learning their customs, reading their city and its many diverse people. Dublin is a beautiful place often overlooked but well worth the trip. It became home very fast and I miss it more and more every day, it's a peaceful fun loving place with plenty of adventure in the city just waiting for you to go out and find it. I know I did. You never know who you're going to meet on the street.

The housing was great because it was a house rented out in the university's name but the maintenance needed considerable attention.
Jodie

opportunity of a lifetime

My educational experience surpassed my expectations. I learned more about the city of Dublin than I imagined I would. I also got hands on experience interning at a publishing company. My internship provided me with experiences that I would not have gotten working back in the United States. The work culture in Dublin relies heavily on independence of the employee so I was given more responsibility than most interns would expect to get. The administration of CAPA worked exceptionally hard to make sure all students were in a safe environment and getting as much out of the experience as possible.I couldn't have asked for a better location to live in. We were a 15 minute walk from the city center. We were constantly trying new restaurants and were rarely unsatisfied. Grocery shopping is also much cheaper than it is in the United States so we were able to save money during the week by not eating out.
By the end of the 8 weeks I felt like part of the culture. Adjusting to living in a new city took some time and we definitely stood out as tourists at first. But, by the time I was ready to leave I felt confident that I could handle all social situations in this new environment
Of the entire two months I spent in Dublin I never felt unsafe. The citizens there were always
extremely kind and friendly. I felt comfortable walking through the city even during late hours.

I would improve the program by making sure the communication between students and administrators is more closely monitored. The housing facilities should also be kept more up to date.
Madison

An Unforgettable Experience

My time in Dublin was the best of my life. I met friends that I consider to be family now and still keep in touch with. It was a growing experience and I loved every second of it. The CAPA staff was beyond helpful in making us feel safe and comfortable. I NEVER felt unsafe in Dubiln. I really learned a lot about Irish history, and the internship component of the trip really made me culturally aware and it is a experience that I feel will really set me apart from others when applying for jobs.

Nathan

Go Abroad With CAPA!

I've always been interested in Ireland as a country, but when I started considering study abroad as an opportunity Dublin wasn't a city that even crossed my mind before I came across CAPA. I thought studying abroad meant moving to a country where everyone speaks a different language and lives a different lifestyle, and I was bracing myself to spend a year taking gen eds before trying my best to catch up on important courses in my senior year.

However, CAPA's Dublin program shockingly included every single course I needed to stay on track for the year, with a wide variety of business, marketing, writing and communications classes on offer. Likewise, I quickly realized that even though the Irish use the same words, learning how they communicate is almost as difficult as mastering a new language.

While I was initially disappointed by my internship placement in an on-campus office, since I'd been looking forward to getting out into the city of Dublin, it ended up being a great experience, allowing me to work alongside people from a variety of countries, and cater to students from around the world.

Whether you're interested in living in Ireland, or are just looking into study abroad in general, I highly recommend CAPA!

Jacquelyn

Pick Capa Dublin!

I couldn't be more happy with my decision to study abroad through CAPA's Dublin Program. CAPA gave me the opportunity of a lifetime and I am so thankful for that. Studying abroad in Dublin was a fun, eyeopening, educational, and beyond worthwhile experience. I would recommend this program and country to anyone interested in studying abroad. Dublin is fit for all people looking to have an unbelievable time while abroad!

The program does not need any improvements!

About CAPA The Global Education Network

What do you want to get out of your study abroad experience? No matter what, you’ll have to spend some time in the classroom. But what if there were a way to get out into your new city and truly live what you learn?

Welcome to CAPA: The Global...