By University College Cork   Reviews (42)   95% Rating

Direct Enroll Program at University College Cork in Ireland

By University College Cork   Reviews (42)   95% Rating

Looking for an incredible abroad experience in the land of intriguing tales of magic and folklore, celebrated writers, a fascinating history, and an enduring culture? Join the countless students who have made University College Cork (UCC) in Cork, Ireland their destination for their study abroad endeavors!

Located just 10 minutes away by foot from Cork City center (Ireland's second biggest city), UCC epitomizes the perfect balance between an illustrious institute of academia, a safe and welcoming campus with a diverse and vibrant student body, and a place of research and innovation in the fields of sustainability, mental/physical health, medical technology and training, and cultural preservation.

With classes/areas on offer from all four colleges, staff and faculty who are invested in the happiness and success of UCC students, and opportunities for student excursions in close proximity to campus, UCC is the ideal option for the academic, the adventurer, and the individual!

Europe › Ireland › Cork
Letters of Recommendation
Language Requirement
Health Requirement
Cost
The above cost selections incorporate program costs and housing/accommodation costs. These may vary depending on student housing choices, whether students choose early start with their semester programs, flight costs, the Euro/Dollar transfer rate, and how much students except to spend on food and travel.
10000.00

Rating Values

Sarah
Oneonta, NY

UCC Abroad Experience 2016

Overall 10

Ever since starting college I wanted to study abroad. University College Cork seemed like a good fit so I took a chance and traveled to Cork in the Fall of 2016. Although nervous at first, I can confidently say this was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Upon coming to the university, I was placed in an early start program focused primarily on folklore, where I went on field trips that provided me with once in a lifetime opportunities. We traveled around the country (even took a boat to the Aran Islands!!) with the professor as we learned about Irish traditions and customs. This class not only allowed me to become more accustomed to everyday life in Cork and learn about the culture, it enabled me to meet people from all over the world. Additionally, UCC's International Students Society made it easy to meet people, many of which I'm still friends with today. Everyone I met in Cork was so welcoming and my friends and I had so much fun exploring the city, the pubs, and the nightlife. Cork is a city, but it feels more like a town, so it didn't take long for me to feel comfortable living there. I always felt safe, even at night.

I would recommend getting involved as much as possible. Step outside your comfort zone and join clubs, take classes you might not have at home, and talk to as many people as possible. By taking classes such as Irish folklore and Irish history I learned so much about topics I otherwise would know very little about! The professors were happy to give their recommendations or advice to the international students. I really think putting myself out there made me a more open and confident person.

I'm so thankful for my time in Cork studying at UCC and I would recommend it to anyone looking for an abroad experience!

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for sharing your UCC experiences on our Go Overseas Page. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your adventures in Cork (especially with the Early Start Program and the International Society), and that you made wonderful, lasting friendships.

Caela Provost, US Representative- UCC

Becky
usg33869

UCC

Overall 8

UCC's large, diverse population made it a great school to choose. I felt like a learned a lot about so many cultures along with the Irish culture. My experiences were enhanced by the people that I got to share it with! At first, I spent a lot of time with other Americans. But, after awhile, I felt comfortable enough to branch out and this is how I had some of the greatest experiences. Interacting with different individuals and learning their stories was an important part of my study abroad experience.

Hi Becky,

Thank you so much for talking about your UCC experience on Go Overseas! I am so thrilled that you were able to make wonderful friendships while abroad, and that UCC was able to provide such a cultural experience for you.

Again, all my thanks for your review!

US Rep, University College Cork

Kelsey
Quinnipiac University

Smiles All Around

Overall 10

Ireland has some of the most brilliant people. I recall aimlessly walking around Cork's City center during my first few weeks abroad and being approached by multiple Irishmen asking if I needed any help. No matter where you go in Ireland, the people are always more than willing to lend a helping hand. I quickly learned the Irish must have kindness imbedded in their genes, for they never failed to offer a warm smile or helping hand. The people made my experience.

The only thing I would add would be more program led trips. My program put together a "farm weekend" where we could stay in the home of an adorable Irish family for a weekend. They introduced us to a entirely different side of Ireland that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to experience if I had followed the touristic ways of making my way through Ireland. I wish my program had more trips like the farm weekend that I could have taken advantage of, free or not.

Hi Kelsey,

Thank you so much for reviewing our programs on Go Overseas, and for posting pictures from your trip (the photo with the little lamb is adorable!). I'm so, so happy to hear that you had a great experience at UCC, and I appreciate your insight on how we can make our programs even better.

Thanks again for sharing your memories with us,

Caela Provost, UCC US Representative

Jessica
Saint Cloud, MN
College of Saint Benedict

UCC Spring 2016

Overall 8

I had always wanted to study abroad and also go to Ireland. I was able to do both of those at once and it was amazing. When first walking up to UCC, my thoughts were how beautiful it was and "Is my school a castle"? Walking up to campus everyday with passing through the castle are memories that I will never forget. I was able to create stronger friendships while at UCC and also test myself by having a very different teaching method. At my home university, the classrooms have no more than 25 people and busy work. At UCC, most of the classrooms were bigger and I was tested to study each night after class so that I could move the knowledge learned from my short term memory to my long term. This helped with the midterm and final exams. The green quad on campus, the buildings, and the numerous ways to get involved in the campus help create an amazing experience for the student. Definitely recommend!!

Maybe have more events to do when it is raining because that deterred many of us from leaving our rooms.

Hi Jessica,

Thank you so much for sharing your University College Cork experiences with everyone here on Go Overseas! I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time abroad, and that you enjoyed your time at "the castle" we like to call campus.

Here's hoping you get to return very soon!

Thanks again,

Caela Provost- US Representative, UCC

Samantha
West Islip, NY
University of New Hampshire

A once in a lifetime opportunity that I couldn't have gotten anywhere else!

Overall 10

Studying abroad at the University College Cork was one of the best decisions I have made. I really felt welcomed as an international student. I met so many incredible people who are now some of my best friends. I still continue to talk to some of the other study abroad students as well as some of the local Irish students that I met while there. It was truly the opportunity of a lifetime. Not only did I have the opportunity to learn about Irish history and traditions in the classroom, but I was also able to immerse myself in modern Irish culture and experiences. Some of my favorite memories were exploring Ireland's beautiful mountains and coastlines. As beautiful as the rest of Ireland is, I think my favorite memories were made right in Cork. I loved exploring the city with new friends and meeting locals. I am truly grateful for this experience and I couldn't have gotten it anywhere else. I will definitely be back to visit in the near future. Not only did I study in this wonderful city, I built a life, made incredible memories, and met lifelong friends as well. If you are considering a study abroad program, definitely consider a program at UCC.

Hi Samantha,

Wow, it sounds like you had an amazing time in Cork! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm so glad that you found a home away from home in Cork, and I hope you get the chance to visit again soon.

Caela Provost, US Rep- UCC

Shannon
Sutton, MA
Salve Regina University

Endless love for Ireland

Overall 10

My semester in Ireland was nothing short of amazing. I took 4 courses, totaling 25 Irish Credits. My roommates were both other international students and Irish students. Every part of the experience here was just so inspiring and eye-opening. I feel completely in love with Cork City, where I spent countless hours having a great time with my friends! I was also able to travel Ireland as well as Europe. Some travel through Ireland was even a part of the Irish Archaeology course that I took! I will never forget all of the fun events happening around the UCC campus, the awesome English marketplace downtown, the endless amounts of Irish culture that I learned about, and of course the lasting friendships that I made. I was a student who almost didn't study abroad out of fear, and I am so incredibly proud that I went and learned and experienced all that I did!

Hi Shannon,

Thank you so, so much for your review of UCC! I am so glad that you decided to face your fears and come abroad; it sounds like you had a wonderful experience. I hope you get to return to Cork soon!

Caela Provost, US Rep- UCC

Grace
Athens, Ohio
University of Cincinnati

University College Cork Spring 2016

Overall 10

My semester at UCC was absolutely the best semester of my life. I was beyond nervous to leave home and begin my new experience in Ireland, but it was the best decision I have ever made. The UCC campus is incredibly beautiful and the students are so welcoming. My classes were challenging and gave me new perspectives on my major. I made the most amazing friends and fell completely in love with Ireland.

Hi Grace,

Wow, it sounds like you had an amazing experience at UCC, and I'm so glad! Thank you for sharing your review; I hope you are able to come back and visit the Rebel County again very soon!

All my thanks,

Caela Provost, US Representative, University College Cork

Abbie
Moorhead, Minnesota

University College Cork Spring 2016

Overall 10

Attending University College Cork was my first taste of life abroad. When arriving onto campus, my stomach was filled with butterflies of nervousness, but that quickly turned to excitement as I saw the beautiful scene that was UCC. The welcoming professors and encouraging Student Society helped to ease my mind. The academics were not as challenging as my home institution, but it was a different in the fact that there was big lectures and more than 25 people to a class. The location of UCC was an excellent bonus as it is situation right by the River Lee. Deciding to study abroad in Ireland was the best decision I have ever made and I highly recommend the University College Cork programs.

Hi Abbie,

I'm so, so glad that you loved your time at UCC and in Cork. Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our university. I hope you get the chance to return very soon!

Caela Provost- US Representative, University College Cork

Isabelle
Mountainside
University of Mary Washington

University College Cork Spring 2017

Overall 7

Attending UCC was the first experience that I have had living abroad. I think that choosing to study in Ireland, specifically Cork, was the best decision I could have made. Although I look at my experience abroad there are somethings that I wish could have been different. After attending UCC for 5 months, I can say that I never felt as though I was a true member of the student body throughout that time. I always felt a bit uncomfortable while I was walking on campus. I wish that the International Student Society would have helped me forge stronger bonds with other students and more Irish students. Academically I did not feel challenged in comparison to the courses that I take at my home University. There was no need for me to apply myself, I did minimal work and still received high honors. I truly did love my time abroad even though I have said some negative things. In hindsight I wish that I had been integrated into the campus and student life more.

Hi Isabelle,

Thank you so much for your review of our program, and for letting us know where we can improve. I'll send your comments over to my colleagues so we can discuss how to make our program an even bigger success. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in Ireland!

Caela Provost, US Representative- University College Cork

Alyssa
St. Paul, Minnesota
Iowa State University

Great city & university - not so great living options

Overall 8

UCC and the city of Cork are absolutely fabulous and a piece of my heart will live there forever. UCC is Ireland's University of the Year 2 years running so if that doesn't prove the high academic standards of the program, I'm not sure what will. The Irish Gaelic beginners course for international students is a must! Although everyone speaks English, it's still a great way to get more immersed in the traditional Irish culture. I highly recommend the Ring of Kerry trip that is advertised at orientation! It was one of my favorite weekend trips. Also, if you have the chance and are going for autumn semester, go 3 weeks early and participate in the Early Start Program. I took the Archeaology course and LOVED it. The field trips and instructor are great and that's where I met my main group of friends that I spent time and traveled with for the rest of the semester.

The one situation that, at the beginning, detracted from the appeal of the program was the housing shortage for students in Cork. Through my school, I had to search for my own accommodation and it was a nightmare up until the week before I left the States. As soon as you're accepted, contact accommodation options IMMEDIATELY and get your name on a list. Use the UCC International Office for help as well. The apartment I ended up in was a great location (10 min from main campus, 5 min from City Centre) but the furnishings were a little less than desired. However, it was livable and a big space for 2 people.

Hi Alyssa,

Thank you so much for your review, and for your feedback. We're so glad that you had an enjoyable time at UCC, and that you loved the academics as well!

Concerning your comment on the housing, please know that UCC is working hard to make sure that students have an easier time obtaining accommodation despite the housing crunch throughout Ireland- in Cork, Galway, and Dublin alike. I will certainly pass your thoughts on to others in my office!

Again, thank you for your comments! I hope you get the chance to return to Ireland very soon.

Best wishes,

Caela Provost, US Rep UCC

Taylor
Kingston, Rhode Island/Middletown, Connecticut
University of Rhode Island

So much love for UCC

Overall 10

My semester at UCC was so much more than I could have imagined it would be (as cheesy as that sounds!). I knew that I would have an incredible time in Ireland. Going abroad was the opportunity to fly that I had been waiting so long for. But I never expected my actual university to have such an impact on this journey. The campus itself was beautiful. It filled my heart with happiness every time I went to class, and I was so appreciative of having the chance to study at such a great place. In my experience, instructors were very helpful and willing to talk, though the grading system and the way classes worked was much different than I had experienced before. There were incredible organizations through the school that were all very welcoming of international students, especially the International Society, which organized many events fro international students to bond with Irish residents. There were so many other clubs and societies that catered to all kinds of interests, providing something for everyone.

Cork is an incredible city, and I was so lucky to have chosen such a wonderful host city. It's small enough to explore, but there is always so much to do and it is impossible to get bored. Since it is a larger city (in relation to the rest of Ireland), there is a lot of access to transportation for getting around the whole country. I was able to take advantage of so many opportunities to see Ireland, and hoped around Europe a lot as well.

I would recommend Cork and UCC in a heartbeat to anyone who asked. I had the time of my life in Ireland, and would wish the same on anyone who takes the chance on it :)

While the instructors were all very approachable and accommodating, I do wish there were more recourses for international students to help adapt to the different class styles. It was very different to have to take only one exam or write one huge paper that reflected my entire grade, and difficult to find help in adjusting to this. Since the grading system is different, it is easier to pass a class with a lower grade than we are used to in the States, but I definitely feel I would have perfumed better with some help adjusting to the system.

Hi Taylor,

So sorry it took me so long to respond to your wonderful review. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences at UCC on our Go Overseas page. If you ever feel like submitting a blog, photos, etc. to our International Students Page, please feel free to send me an email! We're always looking for new writers and contributors.

Again, thank you for sharing your UCC adventures,

US Representative- UCC
[email protected]

Sandy
Raleigh, NC
North Carolina State University

Life Changing

Overall 10

Ireland was the best home away from home I could have ever asked for. I've learned more about myself in one short semester than I ever thought possible. I left with a full heart and this journey was such a blessing and truly an experience I will never forget. I often find myself missing Ireland! UCC was so accommodating and felt like a family. I got a chance to work on the UCC Event Team and they were so welcoming! Having the chance to work with them made my experience that much better. I also got to learn more about UCC while being able to work with the amazing faulty and staff of UCC. UCC is definitely student oriented! A few of my favorite clubs were the trampoline and mountaineering club!

The countless memories and the people who I made them with will always have a special place in my heart. Who knew that complete strangers would accept me, flaws and all, for who I am and become some of my best friends. Cheers to the people with whom I saw the world and the cities that captured a piece of my heart, it was grand! Let the craic never stop.

Sandy~

Wow, it sounds like you truly made the most of your time at UCC. Thank you so much for your feedback and review! I hope you get to return to your home away from home again very soon!

~Caela

Catherine
Reno, NV
University of Nevada Reno

Touching Roots, Touching Lives

Overall 10

My program abroad at UCC was one of the best possible decisions I could have made for my life. I accomplished so much in so little time, and it's incredible to think that it's already over. I not only made friends for life, but my free time also allowed me to meet with family and learn some history. The students in my study abroad program were some of the friendliest people in the world, and I had a small group of friends by my second day in Ireland. UCC had so many societies and clubs to choose from, that I found myself shooting arrows and dancing on practically every night of the week. My academics definitely seemed a little overwhelming, since I come from a land where you have enough homework and quizzes to cushion your grade when you don’t do so hot on a test. But when your lecturers believe in you, it’s hard to let them down with that sort of faith when finals come.
Over the course of the semester, we conquered our studies, traveled the country (and a little outside of it!) to make the most memorable adventure of my life. Ireland was made beautiful not only by the rolling hills and fields I frequently passed in my travels, but also by knowing that pieces of her run through me too.

I wish there had been more activities for internationals, at least, ones that didn't involve drinking. I also wish there had been more workshops to prepare for finals, since having a whole grade contingent on one grade is something we're not really used to doing.

Catherine~

Thank you so, so much for your review of your time at UCC! It makes me so happy to hear that you found your abroad experience to be enriching and unforgettable. If you ever want to write a blog to share more of your experience, let me know!

-Caela Provost, US Rep
[email protected]

Tara
Albany, New York

Life Changing Experience

Overall 10

I decided to go to UCC without anyone from my home university. At first it was a little scary not knowing anyone but it was very easy to make friends there because everyone was so welcoming and friendly. Joining a club was one of the best decisions I made while attending UCC. You get the opportunity to meet people that share similar interests and it guarantees that you will have friends that will last a life time. The academic aspect of UCC was wonderful. It was challenging but very enjoyable.

Tara~

Thank you so much for your review...I'm so happy you took the chance to come to UCC on your own (and that you enjoyed clubs at UCC)!

US Rep UCC

Bridget
Cork, Ireland
Boston College

An Amazing Semester!

Overall 8

Without a doubt, my semester in Cork was the most eye-opening of my college career. I had an amazing semester where I met students from all over the United States and Europe and where I was able to experience life in a small but beautiful city. While the academics at UCC were not as intense as at American universities - for example, most of my classes had only one short paper and an exam for the entire semester - I felt that this gave me more time to explore Ireland. Cork is a very safe city and it is easy to get your bearings and feel familiar with your surroundings. Additionally, because there are so many study abroad students from America and some European countries, it is easy to meet people. It was a little harder to get to know the Irish students, because in my experience the study abroad and international students tended to group together, but I was able to make friends with some local students by joining UCC societies. It was very hard to find housing, because there is a housing shortage in Cork and most places were full, so I would recommend starting your search for housing early, and researching your housing options before you are officially accepted to UCC. I would also highly recommend doing the Early Start program, because it gives you some extra time to become familiar with Cork, and because most of the classes take you on field trips all around Ireland. I did the archaeology Early Start course, and I can say with confidence that it was one of the highlights of my experience in Ireland. Overall, it was an amazing semester in an amazing country!

I wish there was more support on things like finding housing, registering for classes, and adjusting to the differences in Irish academic life.

Bridget~

Thank you so much for submitting your review of your stay at UCC; it sounds like you had a wonderful time- especially in the Early Start Archaeology course! I hope you get the chance to return and visit again very soon.

US Rep- UCC

Elizabeth
Morgantown, WV
West Virginia University

LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE

Overall 10

I had the most amazing experience at UCC and in Cork City. Studying abroad was the most life changing experience of my life. Ireland is such a beautiful country and I was so fortunate to have had the opportunity to live in Cork for a few months. UCC is a lively, close knit university. I was surprised how quickly I made new friends. I met people from everywhere around the globe. Cork felt like home as soon as I landed. I felt safe and comfortable in Cork. I never wanted to leave. The study abroad experience opens so many doors to so many amazing opportunities. I spent a lot of my free time traveling to other countries. I visited Scotland, Czech Republic, and Spain! I made lifelong friends with people from every continent. UCC changed me. I am not the same person I was when I first landed in Cork City. STUDY ABROAD AT UCC! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Ps. If you can, study abroad for a whole year. You'll be surprised how quickly four months can pass by.

Enjoy the adventure!

-Liz

The only trouble I encountered was finding housing.

Liz~

Thank you for sharing your adventures on our Go Overseas page! It's always great to hear how much students loved their UCC experiences. I hope you get to come back and visit very soon!

Meaghan

UCC experience

Overall 10

Attending UCC for the fall semester of 2015 was the greatest opportunity that I have experienced thus far. The atmosphere and culture you are immersed in as a student in Cork allows you to fully learn and embrace the Irish life. Through lectures, traveling and making the most of my study abroad experience I have little to no complaints except for that I wish I could have stayed longer. Through the people that I have met from all over the world it is safe to say that a piece of my heart was left over there and I hope to someday return. University of College Cork is an amazing experience and a beautiful place to attend study abroad.

Meaghan,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am so, so happy to hear that you enjoyed your semester in Cork. I hope you get to return to our beautiful city very soon!

Jackson
Delaware, Ohio, USA
Ohio Wesleyan University

Semester of Study in a Foreign Land

Overall 10

While looking for universities to spend a semester away from my homeland of the United States, my main focus became finding programs that would also allow me to earn credits through history and geography courses that would transfer back to my home university. I searched through distant places, particularly in India, but I discovered that University College Cork would allow the greatest ease for transfer credits with my home institution. In a last-minute decision, I decided to choose UCC to spend a semester.

Yes, it was an excellent decision. I was not focusing on Europe originally, because I did not want to have a 'cliche European semester abroad', and I did not find that in Cork. The city itself is incredible--wonderful history and unique culture, with very easy-to-converse-with people that made every second thought about choosing to spend a semester in Europe disappear. While some people did have the 'classic European experience' I wanted to avoid--going to clubs every night and taking selfies--I found many other local people, that i felt it was easy to break away from staying with other Americans.

When I arrived, I took an excellent three-week immersive course on the history of modern Ireland, as part of the Early Start Programme, and believe that was extremely worth it. I found I was able to connect more personally with Cork after learning about its history, and I got all of the beginning concerns about foreign living out of the way by the time actual classes started. I found my modules during the semester to be simpler, but I enjoyed the content. I managed my studies well and miraculously had almost a month of free time between my coursework and my exams, so I decided to visit somewhere new. I found that far and distant land I was looking for in Tunisia, in an inexpensive flight from Dublin, through Paris, to Tunis. I traveled by myself and backpacked around the country for a considerable amount of time, learning about the country's incredible history, hiking, and conversing with very amazing people.

UCC and Cork are wonderful places, and they provided a great springboard for me to learn and see some other places as well!

University College Cork is an excellent institution, and I would not suggest any major changes to any parts of the program. It would be nice if dates for exams were given at the beginning of the semester, but that is all that comes to mind.

Jackson-

Wow, it seems you really made the most of your abroad experience! Thank you for your review, and for your insight into the Early Start Program. You backpacking adventures sound amazing as well!

Hannah
San Diego, CA
University of California- San Diego

Semester at UCC

Overall 9

I loved my semester at UCC! On campus, there are a variety of student organizations and clubs to join, many of which can't be found in my home university (in the U.S.) such as the trampoline club. UCC has a diverse campus with a good mixture of local and international students on campus. I would definitely recommend getting involved in an organization to make friends more quickly and easily on campus.

The structure of the Irish education system is different from the U.S. At UCC, they rely on continuous assessment which can range from quizzes every week to one essay at the end of the semester. Essays are typically 1,500-5,000 words. Due to the different education structure, it is best to know ahead of time whether your home university will accept UCC courses for transfer and/or major credits.

Everyone in Ireland (ESPECIALLY in Cork) is VERY friendly. In addition, due to the structure of the city, it is easy to walk around everywhere or take the bus. Despite the rainy weather, I truly enjoyed my time at UCC and wish I could be back!

There is a housing crisis in Ireland so housing should be secured months ahead of time. Due to the housing crisis, cheaper housing may be of low quality (cracked walls, dirty floors, etc.)

Hannah,

Thank you so much for sharing your UCC experience with all of us, and for your suggestions. We hope you return to Cork very soon!

Catherine
Baltimore, Maryland
Loyola University Maryland

An American in Ireland

Overall 8

While studying at University College Cork, I was able to mingle with other Irish and international students that were all around my age! I loved immersing myself in the true Irish culture by living and studying with three Irish girls from the County Kerry. These girls became my family abroad and I am eternally grateful for their generosity and overall welcoming attitude. I was able to make quality friends with Irish people and also learn the ins and outs of the university, such as what classes to take, activities to join, and even interesting places to visit around Cork and Ireland. My abroad experience was enhanced not only because of these amazing girls and their friends who helped me adjust to a foreign school and culture, but they also made me feel most welcome!

I loved my abroad experience but I think it would be even better if the international students society planned more activities, for example maybe some academic supports and other ways to reach out to international students.

Catherine~

Thank you so much for your review of UCC. It sounds like you truly enjoyed your time in Cork, and that you made the most of your abroad experience!

Taylor
Clear Lake, Iowa
Iowa State University

My Time at UCC

Overall 10

UCC is a close knit community that offers so many societies and clubs that cater to everyone's interests. The students and staff are more than nice and are always willing to help in any situation. Cork is an ideal city to study abroad in. Compared to my hometown, it is a much bigger city, however you will find everything in walking distance and it seems like a smaller community. It offers the typical Irish town feel that everyone imagines when they think of Ireland. I was always excited to get back "home" to Cork after a weekend of traveling. In my opinion, the only advantage that Dublin has on Cork is the airport. Although there are flights in and out of Cork's airport everyday, the budget airline Ryanair that most students choose to use only goes to a couple of different countries out of Cork. You must either choose to fly Aer Lingus or take a 3 1/2 hour bus ride to Dublin. That being said, the bus rides are not that bad and you get used to them pretty quick. All in all, Cork and UCC will always be my second home and will continue to hold a special place in my heart.

I think that there needs to be more information provided on the GNIB cards. A lot of students, including myself, were given 3 months to register with immigration upon our first arrival into Ireland. We did not know that you had to get this card before leaving the country or else that date became invalid. We thought we were able to travel in and out of the country as long as we got the card by the date we were given. A lot of students ran into very angry immigration workers at the airports and were threatened with deportation. I would definitely focus on relaying more information on this process to students since it is not very clear upon arrival.

Taylor~

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Cork as a member of the UCC community- thank you for sharing your review! I'll pass along the message about the GNIB cards to my colleagues.

Emily
Baltimore, Maryland

Best Semester of My College Career

Overall 10

The four months that I spent in Ireland was one of the most memorable experiences of my college career. Even though it was difficult to leave my comfort zone, friends and family behind, the many individuals I have met in Ireland and University of College Cork has provided a new place I could call home for my time overseas! The city of Cork and the UCC campus was both beautiful with many opportunities to get involved on and off campus. The international office at UCC does a great job in helping international students that are unfamiliar with the foreign academic environment. The Irish community was very welcoming and the country itself had some of the most breathtaking views! I look forward to the next time I can come back and visit!

I found it difficult to build a schedule in different fields of study. Many of the potential classes I wished to take, that were covered by my home university, would overlap time slots. Just make sure, as an international student at UCC, to have multiple class options that are approved by your university before going abroad.

Emily,

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so, so thrilled to hear that you found a home away from home at UCC! Come back and visit soon!

Alison
Eugene
University of Oregon

The most memorable year in college

Overall 10

The number one thing I have gained this year was learning to only do and buy what makes me happy. This may seem so simple and easy, but I didn't know what this truly meant for me until I came to Ireland. Specifically when I went to Kinsale with a couple amazing friends, and purchased gold runners at a local thrift shop. The second I stepped into these marvelous clouds of comfort, and style my feet began to smile - have you ever felt your feet smile before? This small purchase changed my life! This seems ridiculous because they're just shoes, but they are the reason for my happy adventures :) They sparked what I will forever refer to as, "The Greatest Year of My Life"... So far ;).

Leave your expectations at home when coming to Ireland. I can't tell you how many of my expectations have been crushed this year!

If you are going to come for the whole year, and you're looking to really achieve personal growth I highly recommend not going home for the holidays. Go somewhere new and really unfamiliar. I WWOOFed on an organic farm in Portugal for about a week. I stayed with them over Christmas, and I got to experience my first holiday season away from home. I learned so much during that week. Things I don't believe I could have learnt if I wouldn't have taken on this personal challenge to stay abroad for the entire year. I'm not going to lie or sugarcoat this.. my experience on the farm was not what I wanted. It was actually the exact opposite of what I expected. I was suppose to stay for a month, but I felt so mistreated and unsafe that I knew I needed to return back to Ireland (The place I have come to label as being one of the safest European Countries).

Do things you wouldn't normally do! I got involved with the Art Society. I am the special events coordinator, and I have loved this part of my year so much.

Please don't focus the year on locking down an Irish person... It's not important and most likely not going to happen. Please, please don't focus your time on this. Just have fun! Enjoy your time here!! It's one of the greatest countries in the world. UCC is amazing as well! Cork is the best county in Ireland! Loads of craic to be had ;)

More module options.

Alison~

Wow, it sounds like you've had quite the adventure! Thank you for sharing your UCC experiences. Enjoy the craic!

Jacqueline
Corvallis, OR
Oregon State University

Wonderful Experience Studying Abroad in Cork

Overall 9

I go to college in a small town in Oregon and knew from the get-go that I wanted to study abroad in Ireland, and I'm so glad I chose UCC. My semester at UCC was an incredible experience I'll never forget. The staff was helpful, the professors were intelligent and engaging, and the student community was a great group and fun to be around. The city of Cork was just what I wanted--not as large and overwhelming as Dublin, but big enough to keep me endlessly entertained by the many unique shops that line its quaint alleys. The surrounding countryside was gorgeous, and I spent many weekends touring it. And of course the Irish as a whole are always accommodating and friendly! Although I'm back home now, I haven't said goodbye to Ireland for the last time. I hope to go again as soon as I get the chance.

Truly, the only problem I had was the service at Victoria Lodge. The staff was often curt and unhelpful and the wifi rarely worked, making connecting with family back home difficult. Avoid Vic Lodge if possible, but if you get stuck there you'll still have a good time, because you shouldn't be spending much time in your room anyway! Go explore!
Provider Response

Jacqueline- I just wanted to follow-up with my last comment to let you know that I passed on your comment about Victoria Lodge to my colleagues. Your comments are always a priority!

Thanks again for your feedback.

Caela Provost, US Rep

Eva
Boise, Idaho
Boise State University

Amazing Semester Abroad Experience

Overall 10

I had a wonderful experience studying at UCC. All of my professors were fabulous and incredibly smart. I learned more the four classes I took than in my two years at my home university. I loved all of the real world application in my classes and the critical analysis in my coursework. I thought the structure of the classes were interesting because I never had any homework. I only had two papers, and two final assessments. I loved the culture with the students, and everyone was very welcoming. Cork is a great city to go to school in. The buildings on UCC campus are very nice.

More community within the different majors. I didn't have many friends from my actual major, but more so from my study abroad program and housing.
Provider Response

Eva~ Thank you so much for your UCC review! I am so happy to hear that you had a great time in Cork.

US Rep- UCC

Nicole

I LOVE UCC

Overall 10

Studying at UCC was the best experience of my life. Ireland is such an incredible country with amazing culture and a rich history. The campus is beautiful and Cork is a blast. I would absolutely do it again and I highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it. Anyone who studies at UCC will have their lives changed.

I wish there were more activities planned for international students.
Provider Response

Thank you for your review, Nicole! I'll be sure to send your suggestions to my colleagues!

Holly
New York
Quinnipiac University

UCC from an American perspective

Overall 10

I can easily say the best semester I've had in college was when I attended UCC in the Fall of 2013. I miss it every single day. The classes, staff, campus, city (and country) are absolutely amazing. On a day to day basis, I would go to class, take solo trips around the city to make myself more familiar, and enjoy work outs at the Mardyke gym, which is absolutely beautiful. The Quad and main campus of UCC is in a prime location, just a short walk out of the city where there is access to anything you need from food to nightlife to transportation. Cork City is also full of traditional Irish customs, so it was great to be able to immerse myself in the culture. The Irish people are some of the most kind and talkative humans I have ever met, and they are more than willing to help out.

I would just be more thorough in explaining how class scheduling works for international students.
Provider Response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Holly! It's so nice to hear that you had a great experience!

Robyn
San Diego
University of California- San Diego

I love UCC!

Overall 10

UCC is a fantastic university! Faculty and staff are very kind, supportive, and fun. Even after I returned to America I have been able to keep in touch with a few of my lecturers. Students are very kind and helpful as well. When I was alone at the Student Centre they would often sit with me and include me in conversation (this is a great way to make friends!).

The first two weeks at UCC were very well structured with the Failte Fest and Societies/Clubs Days. These events gave me the chance to meet Irish students and get a real feel for the campus. From there, I was able to pick the society I spent most of my time in and make so real, lasting friendships.

UCC is a great location to study at because it is a a major city in Ireland but also tucked away in the countryside so you get the best of both worlds. There is plenty to do in the surrounding areas, there are more transportation options, and you can easily enjoy the natural Irish countryside! Not to mention almost every person I met in Cork was incredibly kind and welcoming (so asking for directions was a great experience surprisingly!).

Getting used to UCC systems is a bit confusing - by this I am referring to wifi and on-campus computer usage. During the international student orientation they try to explain, but there is so much information being thrown in at once it is hard to absorb. It would be better if, while in our small tour groups, we were walked through the process it would be easier to understand.

Also, UCC is very good at showing international students the opportunities available to meet Irish students, but they don't go much further. If you want to make Irish friends, you need to do so on your own. Most events during the first week are for international students only - I think it would be great if there was a committee of UCC students who actively tried to attend events with international students and integrate them into UCC life more.
Provider Response

Thank you so, so much for your insight into your UCC experience!

Kaley
Santa Barbara, CA
University of California- Santa Barbara

UCC is the place to be

Overall 9

UCC is a great study abroad option. I took many classes that dove into Irish culture, history and politics. Ireland overall was the most beautiful country I have ever been too. I highly recommend UCC!

If I could change one thing about the program, I would change the system to register for classes. In Ireland they use a system where you have to fill out paperwork to enroll for your courses. If the process had been online it would have been easier.
Provider Response

Thank you so much, Kaley, for sharing your thoughts on your UCC experience! I'll be sure to mention the class registration comment to my coworkers.

Rebecca
New York, NY
Barnard College

Unforgettable experience!

Overall 9

I attend Barnard College of Columbia University in New York City, and I chose to study in Cork after a friend of mine came back from UCC with rave reviews. I knew I wanted to study abroad in a small city after spending two and half years going to school in Manhattan, and I am so glad I did. While at times I was frustrated with the slow, Irish pace of things, that was a really important cultural learning experience for me. UCC is also a pretty diverse university, and in terms of student life there are always events on campus and the clubs & societies are super active. I joined the dance team, which was absolutely the highlight of my experience at UCC. I made amazing friends from Ireland, Brazil, France, Finland, and beyond. The Irish are exceedingly welcoming and friendly, and the Cork community was no exception. The pubs are great, the music is great, the shopping is great, IT'S ALL GREAT. Not to mention UCC's campus and the city of Cork in general are absolutely gorgeous.

I honestly can't think of anything!
Provider Response

Rebecca, thank you so much for reviewing UCC on Go Overseas! So glad you had such a lovely time abroad.

Erin
New Brunswick, NJ
Rutgers University

UCC= Warm Irish Community

Overall 9

The community culture of UCC was really lovely, the many student groups are super inclusive of visiting students and there's always a random film/show/event you feel welcome to attend, even if you're not a member of the society hosting it. I played with the Ultimate Frisbee teams, was part of a student book club, and spent a lot of time in the chaplaincy lounge--open to everyone, right on campus, and always a good group of students and sometimes professors having a lively chat about something. It was a really warm environment, and I made great Irish, American, and international friends there.

There's a lot of lag in the processing of paperwork/registration/rectifying problems, and while that's partially an Irish cultural difference, it would be great if the international office was a little bit more timely in their responses. It all gets done, but it's stressful waiting for it.
Provider Response

Thank you, Erin, for your review and your ideas! We truly appreciate your input!

Taillieu
Glenside, Pennsylvania
Arcadia University

My home away from home

Overall 10

Spending a year abroad was wonderful, but my only regret is that I only spent one semester of it at UCC.
There was a very friendly orientation staff and I gained so many friends just from going around to different events, joining numerous clubs, and taking some time to hang out at the local grinds like the new bar and even the library. I always felt included, though after I made a few friends they were the ones I met up with the most anyway. I went to events such as the arts ball and participated in 'raise and give' week which were a blast, not to mention joining the volleyball team and the model united nations group for some differing stimulus here and there.

The teachers were also quite wonderful, not only for their naturally charming Irish jokes, but for the extent of confidence and sociability they had with their students. I had multiple who didn't mind grabbing tea together or who would ask about if anyone wanted to come out to a trad night. The only downside can be the walks between campus and your residence depending on your classes and where you end up living, but it becomes more manageable as you go on.

Most always locals are more than willing to tell you of good places to go for x, y, or z depending on your interests (they love to chat) and can point out tid bits they know about upcoming events. Overall, it was a warm, welcoming , and slightly sarcastic atmosphere that I came to love and call my home. If given the opportunity to go back, I would go in a heartbeat. :)

The accommodations were a bit awkward as the laundry room was outside of the main buildings (and I lived on the top floor) so that was a bit inconvenient, especially when it rained and also the washers/dryers never worked that well, tearing some of my clothes or never really drying them.

I was also a bit sad that I didn't have any Irish roommates/ had mostly Americans as I would have liked a more varied apartment, but I understand that Dean's hall did have mostly international students and that according to cleanliness and other factors for choosing who should live together I understand that sometimes this is unavoidable.

As for classes, I just had a bit of trouble trying to get higher level public health classes (since science and medical ones had to be pre-signed off on) but I think this also just may have been harder because I was only there for one semester and didn't have time to plan a further course regimen.
Provider Response

Thank you so much for sharing your review, Taillieu! I'll be sure to put in a good word for the idea of students from the US living with Irish students as well as other international students.

Elizabeth
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

American Abroad at UCC

Overall 10

I studied at UCC in the Autumn of 2013. This was my first time to Ireland and I loved the atmosphere of the city of Cork and the students at the University as well. I lived in The Spires and was lucky enough to live with students from Italy, France, and Ireland. We were a very nice mix and learned a lot of customs from each other. I took courses in biology, public health, economics, Irish literature, and world religions. Throughout my experience I made lifelong friends and got to travel to a variety of countries throughout Europe. I would recommend a study experience at UCC for anyone because the Irish culture and education I learned are unparalleled!

If I had to change one thing, it would be more scheduled events and interaction with the Irish students. Many of the ERASMUS students had special events to attend, but as an American I felt uninformed of these events that I would have loved to have attended.
Provider Response

Elizabeth, thank you so much for taking the time to share your UCC experience! I'll be sure to bring up the "US students" events idea to my coworkers.

Laura
University College Cork

Get here as soon as you can...

Overall 9

The walk from my off-campus apartment to UCC took about 20 minutes, giving me time to appreciate the colorful sights of Cork City, and making it easy to get to the UCC student center. This is where the magic happens. It's the best time of any college student's life, and don't be surprised if you find yourself planning your next trip to Ireland on the flight home.

Provider Response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Laura! I hope you get to visit Ireland again soon!

Sarah
Newport, Rhode Island
Salve Regina University

Timid Travellers Welcome

Overall 9

From the in class lectures, to the hands on field trips, the student societies, and even the charming historic myth drenched quad (beware!), UCC had so much to offer the most timid international student. I immediately felt at home in Cork and at UCC. I learned more about Ireland than I ever could have hoped and I didn't have to stray away from my Major or general area of study. Even my French minor could be accommodated academically and socially! It's hard being dropped in an entirely new place, but the University was so welcoming and accommodating. I could not have asked for a better experience as an international student at UCC.

I would have liked more assistance with finding an apartment. I was given little to no information before I arrived and had to research everything last minute. Everything ended up working out, but there was a little too much unnecessary stress.
Provider Response

Thank you so much, Sarah, for sharing your thoughts on your UCC experience! I'll be sure to mention your comment about housing to my office.

Meg
Philadelphia, PA

Awesome Experience!

Overall 10

I studied at UCC in the Fall of 2013 and it was one of the best decision I have ever made ! The school is awesome and not to mention beautiful and the people are top notch. I made some of the best friends there from all over the world and we had the most incredible experience together! Can't wait to go back!

Slightly more attention to visiting students when it comes to modules. They are difficult to figure out, unlike in the States, and luckily I had a really great group of professors to help me figure it out, but not everyone was that fortunate.
Provider Response

Meg, thank you so much for sharing your review of your UCC experience! I'll mention the module difficulties to my coworkers to see if we can make some changes.

Danielle
Missoula, MT
University of Montana- Missoula

Incredible

Overall 10

I studied abroad to UCC from Montana, USA last year for the academic year. It was an incredible experience. I took classes I could have never taken (like Celtic Saints, Spoken Irish, and Of Monsters and Men). The social scene was great too. There was always something to do at night. I lived right downtown on Washington Street so everything was close. I would recommend EVERYONE study to UCC. One of the best years of my life so far.

It would have been better if there were student jobs for American study abroad students.
Incredible
Provider Response

Danielle, thank you so much for sharing your abroad story! I'll be sure to mention your comment about student jobs to my coworkers.

Shannon
Cortland, New York
State University of New York- Cortland

You would be crazy not to go here!!

Overall 10

Before I start, I hope you know that I studied abroad by myself without knowing anyone. Cork is an amazing place, and I wish I could be back there every single day. Through the school, people, and community, I have never felt so comfortable in a place that was not my home. You will learn a new meaning of friendly and fun! Cork city is absolutely beautiful and the best advice I can give you is to get lost, it's the best way to learn a place inside and out. UCC is a remarkable campus with an enormous amount of social life, you can fit in anywhere. You will have the time of your life if you choose to study abroad through UCC! I'm a more well-rounded person because of my experience, I fell in love with Cork! I have friends that will last forever, and memories that will never be forgotten. When I got on that plane to leave, Ireland definitely took my heart, especially Cork. I'm telling you now, you won't regret it, and you won't want to leave.

I really have absolutely no complaints about this program. For the parents and students reading these reviews, I promise you wouldn't want your child/self going anywhere else. The program is made to make you feel comfortable. They try everything they can so you feel as if Cork is like home.
Provider Response

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of UCC on Go Overseas, Shannon! We truly appreciate your input!

Polly
Norton, MA
Wheaton College

The UCC Community

Overall 10

I did a split-year abroad where I spent my fall semester in Paris and my spring semester in Cork. Paris was an incredible experience, but it was also very stressful because it was such a big city and I come from a tiny town in New England. But when I got to Cork, I immediately felt at home. Everyone I met was incredibly nice, and in those first few weeks, if I looked lost, someone would immediately ask if I needed help. The UCC campus is gorgeous, too - when it wasn't raining, I'd read or hang out with friends on the ampitheater. At UCC I took classes that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to take otherwise - Irish folklore, archaeology, and contemporary lit - and I even learned a little of the Irish language. The professors and staff at UCC were always there for me if I had a question, and so were the other students. It felt very much like a community rather than just a school.

I would have changed the housing. I didn't like being housed with all of the other American study abroad students. I would have liked to live with some Irish students, or even study abroad students from other countries. (I lived in Victoria Lodge).
Provider Response

Thank you so much, Polly, for your review on your experience at UCC! I'll be sure to mention your comments to my coworkers "across the pond".

Megan
Wooster, Ohio

You will never forget this place

Overall 10

Where do I even begin with my experience abroad at UCC? The emotions I felt going in were overwhelming and had my mind spinning in a whirlwind of excitement and panic.
But I thrived over there.
I was going through an intense part of my life. I had very recently come out to my parents and was just starting to really become comfortable with myself. The five months I spent in Cork (and traveling elsewhere) helped me to discover the confidence and strength that I always knew was buried inside of me somewhere. It was the happiest time of my life.
Of course the classes were great, but to be honest, that's not what I remember about my stay. I remember the craziness of RAG week, playing hockey and going to the hockey ball, the beautiful campus, and all of the amazing people.
I admit that just about all of the friends I made during this program were American but I met this fantastic Irish girl at UCC who I continue to stay in contact with. It turns out we were both going through some similar situations and we're now very good friends.
Maybe a lot of this is me rambling at this point but Cork will always have an important place in my heart. Every time I put on my UCC hoodie, I feel like I've returned to that place of confidence, strength, and happiness.

If it's possible, I think it would be really helpful to send out some tips on how to pick classes or which classes previous students have liked. It would have made my first few days a little less stressful if I would have had a list of recommendations or something.
Provider Response

Thank you so much for sharing your UCC experience, Megan! It's always incredible to hear about a student who has gained so much from time studying abroad.

Meredith
Hamden, CT, United States

International Life in Cork City

Overall 9

Cork City is an amazing place. It is an extremely friendly city. I never felt uncomfortable or endangered. People are always looking for a friendly chat and to help you!

An initial difficulty was language. It was difficult to communicate until I got used to the accent.

I would have the students living with more Irish people. In my suite, we have four American girls. I think an integral part of studying abroad is immersion, but ours felt incomplete.
Provider Response

Meredith, thank you so much for your review. I'll bring up your comment about living with more Irish students to my coworkers as soon as possible!

Kim

UCC aborad

Overall 10

I had a great time abroad. Cork has an amazing social life and even better academics. My favorite part about my entire trip was being able to travel not only around Ireland, but also how cheap it was to travel to many other countries around Ireland. I flew to Barcelona, Greece, Rome, and Amsterdam and had the time of my life.

The wifi in the dorms. Was not happy about my wifi. It took about 3 months before I could use it without having to be in a specific part of my apartment.
Provider Response

Thank you so much for your review, Kim! I'll be sure to mention your WiFi comment to my coworkers at UCC.

US Rep

University College Cork is an institution that combines all the best aspects of research, academic excellence, Irish history and culture, student safety and welfare, and a vibrant campus life to create an exceptional study abroad experience. From our castle-like campus quad, to our dedication to green studies and sustainability, from our active student clubs and societies, to our commitment to student distinction, UCC provides students with a safe, exciting, beautiful, intellectually stimulating environment in which to learn, grow, and make memories. Students who choose UCC as their abroad destination leave campus with more than just pictures and souvenirs; UCC alumni leave with countless memories, friends from all over the world, a wealth of knowledge, and a newly found sense of independence and self-awareness.

We look forward to welcoming students to our campus and watching them develop as scholars, travelers, researchers, and individuals. Ádh mór agus gach dea-ghuí.

Community Photos: