Direct Enroll Program at University College Cork in Ireland

Direct Enroll Program at University College Cork in Ireland

Looking for an incredible abroad experience in the land of intriguing tales of magic and folklore, celebrated writers, a fascinating history, and an enduring culture? Join the countless students who have made University College Cork (UCC) in Cork, Ireland their destination for their study abroad endeavors!

Located just 10 minutes away by foot from Cork City center (Ireland's second biggest city), UCC epitomizes the perfect balance between an illustrious institute of academia, a safe and welcoming campus with a diverse and vibrant student body, and a place of research and innovation in the fields of sustainability, mental/physical health, medical technology and training, and cultural preservation.

With classes/areas on offer from all four colleges, staff and faculty who are invested in the happiness and success of UCC students, and opportunities for student excursions in close proximity to campus, UCC is the ideal option for the academic, the adventurer, and the individual!

Europe » Ireland » Cork
Statement of Purpose
Letters of Recommendation
Language Requirement
Health Requirement
The above cost selections incorporate program costs and housing/accommodation costs. These may vary depending on student housing choices, whether students choose early start with their semester programs, flight costs, the Euro/Dollar transfer rate, and how much students except to spend on food and travel.

Sarah
Oneonta, NY
University College Cork

UCC Abroad Experience 2016

Ever since starting college I wanted to study abroad. University College Cork seemed like a good fit so I took a chance and traveled to Cork in the Fall of 2016. Although nervous at first, I can confidently say this was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Upon coming to the university, I was placed in an early start program focused primarily on folklore, where I went on field trips that provided me with once in a lifetime opportunities. We traveled around the country (even took a boat to the Aran Islands!!) with the professor as we learned about Irish traditions and customs. This class not only allowed me to become more accustomed to everyday life in Cork and learn about the culture, it enabled me to meet people from all over the world. Additionally, UCC's International Students Society made it easy to meet people, many of which I'm still friends with today. Everyone I met in Cork was so welcoming and my friends and I had so much fun exploring the city, the pubs, and the nightlife. Cork is a city, but it feels more like a town, so it didn't take long for me to feel comfortable living there. I always felt safe, even at night.

I would recommend getting involved as much as possible. Step outside your comfort zone and join clubs, take classes you might not have at home, and talk to as many people as possible. By taking classes such as Irish folklore and Irish history I learned so much about topics I otherwise would know very little about! The professors were happy to give their recommendations or advice to the international students. I really think putting myself out there made me a more open and confident person.

I'm so thankful for my time in Cork studying at UCC and I would recommend it to anyone looking for an abroad experience!

Response from University College Cork

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for sharing your UCC experiences on our Go Overseas Page. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your adventures in Cork (especially with the Early Start Program and the International Society), and that you made wonderful, lasting friendships.

Caela Provost, US Representative- UCC

Becky
usg33869

UCC

UCC's large, diverse population made it a great school to choose. I felt like a learned a lot about so many cultures along with the Irish culture. My experiences were enhanced by the people that I got to share it with! At first, I spent a lot of time with other Americans. But, after awhile, I felt comfortable enough to branch out and this is how I had some of the greatest experiences. Interacting with different individuals and learning their stories was an important part of my study abroad experience.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Becky,

Thank you so much for talking about your UCC experience on Go Overseas! I am so thrilled that you were able to make wonderful friendships while abroad, and that UCC was able to provide such a cultural experience for you.

Again, all my thanks for your review!

US Rep, University College Cork

Kelsey
Quinnipiac University

Smiles All Around

Ireland has some of the most brilliant people. I recall aimlessly walking around Cork's City center during my first few weeks abroad and being approached by multiple Irishmen asking if I needed any help. No matter where you go in Ireland, the people are always more than willing to lend a helping hand. I quickly learned the Irish must have kindness imbedded in their genes, for they never failed to offer a warm smile or helping hand. The people made my experience.

The only thing I would add would be more program led trips. My program put together a "farm weekend" where we could stay in the home of an adorable Irish family for a weekend. They introduced us to a entirely different side of Ireland that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to experience if I had followed the touristic ways of making my way through Ireland. I wish my program had more trips like the farm weekend that I could have taken advantage of, free or not.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Kelsey,

Thank you so much for reviewing our programs on Go Overseas, and for posting pictures from your trip (the photo with the little lamb is adorable!). I'm so, so happy to hear that you had a great experience at UCC, and I appreciate your insight on how we can make our programs even better.

Thanks again for sharing your memories with us,

Caela Provost, UCC US Representative

Jessica
Saint Cloud, MN
College of Saint Benedict

UCC Spring 2016

I had always wanted to study abroad and also go to Ireland. I was able to do both of those at once and it was amazing. When first walking up to UCC, my thoughts were how beautiful it was and "Is my school a castle"? Walking up to campus everyday with passing through the castle are memories that I will never forget. I was able to create stronger friendships while at UCC and also test myself by having a very different teaching method. At my home university, the classrooms have no more than 25 people and busy work. At UCC, most of the classrooms were bigger and I was tested to study each night after class so that I could move the knowledge learned from my short term memory to my long term. This helped with the midterm and final exams. The green quad on campus, the buildings, and the numerous ways to get involved in the campus help create an amazing experience for the student. Definitely recommend!!

Maybe have more events to do when it is raining because that deterred many of us from leaving our rooms.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Jessica,

Thank you so much for sharing your University College Cork experiences with everyone here on Go Overseas! I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time abroad, and that you enjoyed your time at "the castle" we like to call campus.

Here's hoping you get to return very soon!

Thanks again,

Caela Provost- US Representative, UCC

Samantha
West Islip, NY
University of New Hampshire

A once in a lifetime opportunity that I couldn't have gotten anywhere else!

Studying abroad at the University College Cork was one of the best decisions I have made. I really felt welcomed as an international student. I met so many incredible people who are now some of my best friends. I still continue to talk to some of the other study abroad students as well as some of the local Irish students that I met while there. It was truly the opportunity of a lifetime. Not only did I have the opportunity to learn about Irish history and traditions in the classroom, but I was also able to immerse myself in modern Irish culture and experiences. Some of my favorite memories were exploring Ireland's beautiful mountains and coastlines. As beautiful as the rest of Ireland is, I think my favorite memories were made right in Cork. I loved exploring the city with new friends and meeting locals. I am truly grateful for this experience and I couldn't have gotten it anywhere else. I will definitely be back to visit in the near future. Not only did I study in this wonderful city, I built a life, made incredible memories, and met lifelong friends as well. If you are considering a study abroad program, definitely consider a program at UCC.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Samantha,

Wow, it sounds like you had an amazing time in Cork! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm so glad that you found a home away from home in Cork, and I hope you get the chance to visit again soon.

Caela Provost, US Rep- UCC

Shannon
Sutton, MA
Salve Regina University

Endless love for Ireland

My semester in Ireland was nothing short of amazing. I took 4 courses, totaling 25 Irish Credits. My roommates were both other international students and Irish students. Every part of the experience here was just so inspiring and eye-opening. I feel completely in love with Cork City, where I spent countless hours having a great time with my friends! I was also able to travel Ireland as well as Europe. Some travel through Ireland was even a part of the Irish Archaeology course that I took! I will never forget all of the fun events happening around the UCC campus, the awesome English marketplace downtown, the endless amounts of Irish culture that I learned about, and of course the lasting friendships that I made. I was a student who almost didn't study abroad out of fear, and I am so incredibly proud that I went and learned and experienced all that I did!

Response from University College Cork

Hi Shannon,

Thank you so, so much for your review of UCC! I am so glad that you decided to face your fears and come abroad; it sounds like you had a wonderful experience. I hope you get to return to Cork soon!

Caela Provost, US Rep- UCC

Grace
Athens, Ohio
University of Cincinnati

University College Cork Spring 2016

My semester at UCC was absolutely the best semester of my life. I was beyond nervous to leave home and begin my new experience in Ireland, but it was the best decision I have ever made. The UCC campus is incredibly beautiful and the students are so welcoming. My classes were challenging and gave me new perspectives on my major. I made the most amazing friends and fell completely in love with Ireland.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Grace,

Wow, it sounds like you had an amazing experience at UCC, and I'm so glad! Thank you for sharing your review; I hope you are able to come back and visit the Rebel County again very soon!

All my thanks,

Caela Provost, US Representative, University College Cork

Abbie
Moorhead, Minnesota

University College Cork Spring 2016

Attending University College Cork was my first taste of life abroad. When arriving onto campus, my stomach was filled with butterflies of nervousness, but that quickly turned to excitement as I saw the beautiful scene that was UCC. The welcoming professors and encouraging Student Society helped to ease my mind. The academics were not as challenging as my home institution, but it was a different in the fact that there was big lectures and more than 25 people to a class. The location of UCC was an excellent bonus as it is situation right by the River Lee. Deciding to study abroad in Ireland was the best decision I have ever made and I highly recommend the University College Cork programs.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Abbie,

I'm so, so glad that you loved your time at UCC and in Cork. Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our university. I hope you get the chance to return very soon!

Caela Provost- US Representative, University College Cork

Isabelle
Mountainside
University of Mary Washington

University College Cork Spring 2017

Attending UCC was the first experience that I have had living abroad. I think that choosing to study in Ireland, specifically Cork, was the best decision I could have made. Although I look at my experience abroad there are somethings that I wish could have been different. After attending UCC for 5 months, I can say that I never felt as though I was a true member of the student body throughout that time. I always felt a bit uncomfortable while I was walking on campus. I wish that the International Student Society would have helped me forge stronger bonds with other students and more Irish students. Academically I did not feel challenged in comparison to the courses that I take at my home University. There was no need for me to apply myself, I did minimal work and still received high honors. I truly did love my time abroad even though I have said some negative things. In hindsight I wish that I had been integrated into the campus and student life more.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Isabelle,

Thank you so much for your review of our program, and for letting us know where we can improve. I'll send your comments over to my colleagues so we can discuss how to make our program an even bigger success. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in Ireland!

Caela Provost, US Representative- University College Cork

Alyssa
St. Paul, Minnesota
Iowa State University

Great city & university - not so great living options

UCC and the city of Cork are absolutely fabulous and a piece of my heart will live there forever. UCC is Ireland's University of the Year 2 years running so if that doesn't prove the high academic standards of the program, I'm not sure what will. The Irish Gaelic beginners course for international students is a must! Although everyone speaks English, it's still a great way to get more immersed in the traditional Irish culture. I highly recommend the Ring of Kerry trip that is advertised at orientation! It was one of my favorite weekend trips. Also, if you have the chance and are going for autumn semester, go 3 weeks early and participate in the Early Start Program. I took the Archeaology course and LOVED it. The field trips and instructor are great and that's where I met my main group of friends that I spent time and traveled with for the rest of the semester.

The one situation that, at the beginning, detracted from the appeal of the program was the housing shortage for students in Cork. Through my school, I had to search for my own accommodation and it was a nightmare up until the week before I left the States. As soon as you're accepted, contact accommodation options IMMEDIATELY and get your name on a list. Use the UCC International Office for help as well. The apartment I ended up in was a great location (10 min from main campus, 5 min from City Centre) but the furnishings were a little less than desired. However, it was livable and a big space for 2 people.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Alyssa,

Thank you so much for your review, and for your feedback. We're so glad that you had an enjoyable time at UCC, and that you loved the academics as well!

Concerning your comment on the housing, please know that UCC is working hard to make sure that students have an easier time obtaining accommodation despite the housing crunch throughout Ireland- in Cork, Galway, and Dublin alike. I will certainly pass your thoughts on to others in my office!

Again, thank you for your comments! I hope you get the chance to return to Ireland very soon.

Best wishes,

Caela Provost, US Rep UCC

Taylor
Kingston, Rhode Island/Middletown, Connecticut
University of Rhode Island

So much love for UCC

My semester at UCC was so much more than I could have imagined it would be (as cheesy as that sounds!). I knew that I would have an incredible time in Ireland. Going abroad was the opportunity to fly that I had been waiting so long for. But I never expected my actual university to have such an impact on this journey. The campus itself was beautiful. It filled my heart with happiness every time I went to class, and I was so appreciative of having the chance to study at such a great place. In my experience, instructors were very helpful and willing to talk, though the grading system and the way classes worked was much different than I had experienced before. There were incredible organizations through the school that were all very welcoming of international students, especially the International Society, which organized many events fro international students to bond with Irish residents. There were so many other clubs and societies that catered to all kinds of interests, providing something for everyone.

Cork is an incredible city, and I was so lucky to have chosen such a wonderful host city. It's small enough to explore, but there is always so much to do and it is impossible to get bored. Since it is a larger city (in relation to the rest of Ireland), there is a lot of access to transportation for getting around the whole country. I was able to take advantage of so many opportunities to see Ireland, and hoped around Europe a lot as well.

I would recommend Cork and UCC in a heartbeat to anyone who asked. I had the time of my life in Ireland, and would wish the same on anyone who takes the chance on it :)

While the instructors were all very approachable and accommodating, I do wish there were more recourses for international students to help adapt to the different class styles. It was very different to have to take only one exam or write one huge paper that reflected my entire grade, and difficult to find help in adjusting to this. Since the grading system is different, it is easier to pass a class with a lower grade than we are used to in the States, but I definitely feel I would have perfumed better with some help adjusting to the system.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Taylor,

So sorry it took me so long to respond to your wonderful review. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences at UCC on our Go Overseas page. If you ever feel like submitting a blog, photos, etc. to our International Students Page, please feel free to send me an email! We're always looking for new writers and contributors.

Again, thank you for sharing your UCC adventures,

US Representative- UCC
[email protected]

Sandy
Raleigh, NC
North Carolina State University

Life Changing

Ireland was the best home away from home I could have ever asked for. I've learned more about myself in one short semester than I ever thought possible. I left with a full heart and this journey was such a blessing and truly an experience I will never forget. I often find myself missing Ireland! UCC was so accommodating and felt like a family. I got a chance to work on the UCC Event Team and they were so welcoming! Having the chance to work with them made my experience that much better. I also got to learn more about UCC while being able to work with the amazing faulty and staff of UCC. UCC is definitely student oriented! A few of my favorite clubs were the trampoline and mountaineering club!

The countless memories and the people who I made them with will always have a special place in my heart. Who knew that complete strangers would accept me, flaws and all, for who I am and become some of my best friends. Cheers to the people with whom I saw the world and the cities that captured a piece of my heart, it was grand! Let the craic never stop.

Response from University College Cork

Sandy~

Wow, it sounds like you truly made the most of your time at UCC. Thank you so much for your feedback and review! I hope you get to return to your home away from home again very soon!

~Caela

Catherine
Reno, NV
University of Nevada Reno

Touching Roots, Touching Lives

My program abroad at UCC was one of the best possible decisions I could have made for my life. I accomplished so much in so little time, and it's incredible to think that it's already over. I not only made friends for life, but my free time also allowed me to meet with family and learn some history. The students in my study abroad program were some of the friendliest people in the world, and I had a small group of friends by my second day in Ireland. UCC had so many societies and clubs to choose from, that I found myself shooting arrows and dancing on practically every night of the week. My academics definitely seemed a little overwhelming, since I come from a land where you have enough homework and quizzes to cushion your grade when you don’t do so hot on a test. But when your lecturers believe in you, it’s hard to let them down with that sort of faith when finals come.
Over the course of the semester, we conquered our studies, traveled the country (and a little outside of it!) to make the most memorable adventure of my life. Ireland was made beautiful not only by the rolling hills and fields I frequently passed in my travels, but also by knowing that pieces of her run through me too.

I wish there had been more activities for internationals, at least, ones that didn't involve drinking. I also wish there had been more workshops to prepare for finals, since having a whole grade contingent on one grade is something we're not really used to doing.

Response from University College Cork

Catherine~

Thank you so, so much for your review of your time at UCC! It makes me so happy to hear that you found your abroad experience to be enriching and unforgettable. If you ever want to write a blog to share more of your experience, let me know!

-Caela Provost, US Rep
[email protected]

Tara
Albany, New York

Life Changing Experience

I decided to go to UCC without anyone from my home university. At first it was a little scary not knowing anyone but it was very easy to make friends there because everyone was so welcoming and friendly. Joining a club was one of the best decisions I made while attending UCC. You get the opportunity to meet people that share similar interests and it guarantees that you will have friends that will last a life time. The academic aspect of UCC was wonderful. It was challenging but very enjoyable.

Response from University College Cork

Tara~

Thank you so much for your review...I'm so happy you took the chance to come to UCC on your own (and that you enjoyed clubs at UCC)!

US Rep UCC

Bridget
Cork, Ireland
Boston College

An Amazing Semester!

Without a doubt, my semester in Cork was the most eye-opening of my college career. I had an amazing semester where I met students from all over the United States and Europe and where I was able to experience life in a small but beautiful city. While the academics at UCC were not as intense as at American universities - for example, most of my classes had only one short paper and an exam for the entire semester - I felt that this gave me more time to explore Ireland. Cork is a very safe city and it is easy to get your bearings and feel familiar with your surroundings. Additionally, because there are so many study abroad students from America and some European countries, it is easy to meet people. It was a little harder to get to know the Irish students, because in my experience the study abroad and international students tended to group together, but I was able to make friends with some local students by joining UCC societies. It was very hard to find housing, because there is a housing shortage in Cork and most places were full, so I would recommend starting your search for housing early, and researching your housing options before you are officially accepted to UCC. I would also highly recommend doing the Early Start program, because it gives you some extra time to become familiar with Cork, and because most of the classes take you on field trips all around Ireland. I did the archaeology Early Start course, and I can say with confidence that it was one of the highlights of my experience in Ireland. Overall, it was an amazing semester in an amazing country!

I wish there was more support on things like finding housing, registering for classes, and adjusting to the differences in Irish academic life.

Response from University College Cork

Bridget~

Thank you so much for submitting your review of your stay at UCC; it sounds like you had a wonderful time- especially in the Early Start Archaeology course! I hope you get the chance to return and visit again very soon.

US Rep- UCC

Elizabeth
Morgantown, WV
West Virginia University

LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE

I had the most amazing experience at UCC and in Cork City. Studying abroad was the most life changing experience of my life. Ireland is such a beautiful country and I was so fortunate to have had the opportunity to live in Cork for a few months. UCC is a lively, close knit university. I was surprised how quickly I made new friends. I met people from everywhere around the globe. Cork felt like home as soon as I landed. I felt safe and comfortable in Cork. I never wanted to leave. The study abroad experience opens so many doors to so many amazing opportunities. I spent a lot of my free time traveling to other countries. I visited Scotland, Czech Republic, and Spain! I made lifelong friends with people from every continent. UCC changed me. I am not the same person I was when I first landed in Cork City. STUDY ABROAD AT UCC! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Ps. If you can, study abroad for a whole year. You'll be surprised how quickly four months can pass by.

Enjoy the adventure!

-Liz

The only trouble I encountered was finding housing.

Response from University College Cork

Liz~

Thank you for sharing your adventures on our Go Overseas page! It's always great to hear how much students loved their UCC experiences. I hope you get to come back and visit very soon!

Meaghan
Boston, MA
Suffolk University

UCC experience

Attending UCC for the fall semester of 2015 was the greatest opportunity that I have experienced thus far. The atmosphere and culture you are immersed in as a student in Cork allows you to fully learn and embrace the Irish life. Through lectures, traveling and making the most of my study abroad experience I have little to no complaints except for that I wish I could have stayed longer. Through the people that I have met from all over the world it is safe to say that a piece of my heart was left over there and I hope to someday return. University of College Cork is an amazing experience and a beautiful place to attend study abroad.

Response from University College Cork

Meaghan,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am so, so happy to hear that you enjoyed your semester in Cork. I hope you get to return to our beautiful city very soon!

Jackson
Delaware, Ohio, USA
Ohio Wesleyan University

Semester of Study in a Foreign Land

While looking for universities to spend a semester away from my homeland of the United States, my main focus became finding programs that would also allow me to earn credits through history and geography courses that would transfer back to my home university. I searched through distant places, particularly in India, but I discovered that University College Cork would allow the greatest ease for transfer credits with my home institution. In a last-minute decision, I decided to choose UCC to spend a semester.

Yes, it was an excellent decision. I was not focusing on Europe originally, because I did not want to have a 'cliche European semester abroad', and I did not find that in Cork. The city itself is incredible--wonderful history and unique culture, with very easy-to-converse-with people that made every second thought about choosing to spend a semester in Europe disappear. While some people did have the 'classic European experience' I wanted to avoid--going to clubs every night and taking selfies--I found many other local people, that i felt it was easy to break away from staying with other Americans.

When I arrived, I took an excellent three-week immersive course on the history of modern Ireland, as part of the Early Start Programme, and believe that was extremely worth it. I found I was able to connect more personally with Cork after learning about its history, and I got all of the beginning concerns about foreign living out of the way by the time actual classes started. I found my modules during the semester to be simpler, but I enjoyed the content. I managed my studies well and miraculously had almost a month of free time between my coursework and my exams, so I decided to visit somewhere new. I found that far and distant land I was looking for in Tunisia, in an inexpensive flight from Dublin, through Paris, to Tunis. I traveled by myself and backpacked around the country for a considerable amount of time, learning about the country's incredible history, hiking, and conversing with very amazing people.

UCC and Cork are wonderful places, and they provided a great springboard for me to learn and see some other places as well!

University College Cork is an excellent institution, and I would not suggest any major changes to any parts of the program. It would be nice if dates for exams were given at the beginning of the semester, but that is all that comes to mind.

Response from University College Cork

Jackson-

Wow, it seems you really made the most of your abroad experience! Thank you for your review, and for your insight into the Early Start Program. You backpacking adventures sound amazing as well!

Hannah
San Diego, CA
University of California- San Diego

Semester at UCC

I loved my semester at UCC! On campus, there are a variety of student organizations and clubs to join, many of which can't be found in my home university (in the U.S.) such as the trampoline club. UCC has a diverse campus with a good mixture of local and international students on campus. I would definitely recommend getting involved in an organization to make friends more quickly and easily on campus.

The structure of the Irish education system is different from the U.S. At UCC, they rely on continuous assessment which can range from quizzes every week to one essay at the end of the semester. Essays are typically 1,500-5,000 words. Due to the different education structure, it is best to know ahead of time whether your home university will accept UCC courses for transfer and/or major credits.

Everyone in Ireland (ESPECIALLY in Cork) is VERY friendly. In addition, due to the structure of the city, it is easy to walk around everywhere or take the bus. Despite the rainy weather, I truly enjoyed my time at UCC and wish I could be back!

There is a housing crisis in Ireland so housing should be secured months ahead of time. Due to the housing crisis, cheaper housing may be of low quality (cracked walls, dirty floors, etc.)

Response from University College Cork

Hannah,

Thank you so much for sharing your UCC experience with all of us, and for your suggestions. We hope you return to Cork very soon!

Catherine
Baltimore, Maryland
Loyola University Maryland

An American in Ireland

While studying at University College Cork, I was able to mingle with other Irish and international students that were all around my age! I loved immersing myself in the true Irish culture by living and studying with three Irish girls from the County Kerry. These girls became my family abroad and I am eternally grateful for their generosity and overall welcoming attitude. I was able to make quality friends with Irish people and also learn the ins and outs of the university, such as what classes to take, activities to join, and even interesting places to visit around Cork and Ireland. My abroad experience was enhanced not only because of these amazing girls and their friends who helped me adjust to a foreign school and culture, but they also made me feel most welcome!

I loved my abroad experience but I think it would be even better if the international students society planned more activities, for example maybe some academic supports and other ways to reach out to international students.

Response from University College Cork

Catherine~

Thank you so much for your review of UCC. It sounds like you truly enjoyed your time in Cork, and that you made the most of your abroad experience!

US Rep, UCC

University College Cork is an institution that combines all the best aspects of research, academic excellence, Irish history and culture, student safety and welfare, and a vibrant campus life to create an exceptional study abroad experience. From our castle-like campus quad, to our dedication to