Direct Enrollment at University College Cork

The Cliffs of Moher were even more beautiful in person than I imagined they would be. I also got very lucky that the weather was perfect the day that I went!
The English Market
The English Market
Blarney Stone
Blarney Stone
Celebrating St. Patrick's Day the right way with friends new and old. ~Dublin, Ireland
Getting an authentic experience of how the other half live during a trip to an Irish farm. ~Kerry, Ireland
If you blink, your abroad experience has already passed you by. ~Ring of Kerry
I've always taken a first day of school photo so why not keep the tradition up :)
I was able to take an environmental class which worked out in the field!

Looking for an incredible abroad experience in the land of intriguing tales of magic and folklore, celebrated writers, a fascinating history, and an enduring culture? Join the countless students who have made University College Cork (UCC) in Cork, Ireland their destination for their study abroad endeavors!

Located just 10 minutes away by foot from Cork City center (Ireland's second biggest city), UCC epitomizes the perfect balance between an illustrious institute of academia, a safe and welcoming campus with a diverse and vibrant student body, and a place of research and innovation in the fields of sustainability, mental/physical health, medical technology and training, and cultural preservation.

With classes/areas on offer from all four colleges, staff and faculty who are invested in the happiness and success of UCC students, and opportunities for student excursions in close proximity to campus, UCC is the ideal option for the academic, the adventurer, and the individual!

Cork City, Ireland
Skyla

Trust in me when I say

I was humbled by the beauty I saw in Ireland. I believe if you decide to study abroad at the University of College Cork you would find the same happiness here. My roommates and I decided to go to an International party that was hosted by the University my first night here. Those parties are such good craic and they are just one of the things that made my year the most incredible one yet! That night we all decided to walk home instead of taking the bus (FYI I highly recommend walking everywhere!!) There was this group of Irish students walking in front of us singing "I love you Baby" "And if it's quite all right" and in that moment I knew I chose the right place. The challenging coursework, building international friendships, and endless adventure was soo much more than I anticipated. I cannot thank the University of College Cork and the people I met here enough for my amazing experience.

Get out there and Study Abroad, Cheers!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
YES, pictures are a must when going abroad! However, I would have been more in the moment rather than looking through the lens of my camera.
Response from University College Cork

Skyla,

Thank you so very much for sharing some of your favorite UCC memories in your review. I am thrilled to hear (or rather, read) that you felt at home in Cork and that you enjoyed your studies and adventures. I hope you get to come back to visit soon!

-Caela Provost, US Representative, University College Cork

Kathleen

amazing experience

Ireland was beautiful and UCC was terrific. If there is something that piques your interest, odds are you'll be able to find it at UCC. It doesn't feel like the massive school it is, though. The professors are enthusiastic and happy to help, especially for foreign students, which is helpful considering how different the Irish universities are from American ones. Communication to students is great, and support is readily available and easy to find, if needed. All of the UCC staff are extremely welcoming, and make students feel like they belong. They are always ready for tea and a chat, and seem to genuinely care about the students' well-being, all 20,000 of them. I only did this program because of a very last minute decision, but I'm extremely grateful that I did because it was absolutely incredible.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you so much for your wonderful words about your UCC experience! I am so, so very glad that you had such a welcoming, positive time in Cork; it seems sometimes last minute decisions can be the best decisions! Please know that you'll always have a home away from home in Ireland's Rebel County!

-Caela Provost, US Representative- UCC

Nicole

The Best Semester of my Life!

Studying abroad in Cork was the best decision I've made. I instantly fell in love with UCC and Cork. The campus is stunning and the classes are challenging but manageable. Cork City is filled with mostly Irish people who are so kind and welcoming. The city is very safe and very active. I love Cork so much that I've already been back once since my fall semester abroad! I highly recommend this city and university to anyone who is looking to get the real Irish experience. I am so thankful for the people from Cork who I met abroad and the opportunity to learn all about their culture. Study at UCC!!

Response from University College Cork

Nicole ~

Thank you so much for sharing your Cork/UCC experiences! It's so wonderful to hear that you've already made your way back to Cork since your time abroad. We hope you find your way back to the Rebel County again soon for yet another visit!

-Caela Provost, US Representative - UCC

Elise

A Semester to Never Forget

The Fall semester at The University College Cork was a semester that I will never forget! From meeting life long friends to realizing how much I love to travel, Cork provided me with experiences like no other. If I could have stayed another semester, I would have in a heart beat. Within the last few weeks of the semester I didn't want to leave. I would catch myself calling Cork 'home', and it truly was. I never felt unwelcomed or unsafe, and I think that is why I gained such an attachment to Cork.

I was looking for a authentic Irish experience and Cork provided it. From listening to live Irish music in local pubs to interacting with the locals at the market, there was never a day in Cork where I wasn't smiling. I had the ability to dive right into the culture, and if that is what you are looking for then I highly suggest Cork, Ireland. It truly is an experience you will never forget!

Response from University College Cork

Hi Elise,

Thank you so much for your kind words about your time spent in Cork and at University College Cork. It makes me so happy to hear that you have found a "home away from home" in Ireland's Rebel County, and that you were able to truly experience Ireland's rich culture through your adventures and interactions with people in the community.

Again, thank you so very much for your review, and I hope you get to return to Cork very soon!

-Caela Provost, UCC US Representative

Kathryn

I had the greatest time at UCC and in Cork!

Studying abroad at University College Cork was the best decision I've made! The classes were interesting but not overwhelming, the campus was beautiful, and the accommodations were clean and newly renovated. Cork is an extremely safe city that is filled with friendly people and lots to do during the day and at night. I 10/10 recommend studying at UCC and exploring the beautiful and charming city of Cork!

Response from University College Cork

Kathryn,

Thank you so much for your review of your time at University College Cork! I am so happy to hear that you had a wonderful time, and that you love Ireland's beautiful Cork City as much as I do! I hope you are able to come back to the Rebel County very soon.

Go raibh míle maith agat ~
Caela Provost- UCC US Representative

Sydney

LOVED UCC

Beautiful campus, I cannot comment enough on the safety, gym is in a good location, I loved walking everywhere, UCC International is great at organizing events and makes it easy to connect with other students and have fun. Cork is a fantastic area that has the benefits of a small town, but is large enough to where you always seem something new and you're able to run into friends, but you don't know everyone that you come across. UCC has tons of clubs and societies that students can partake in, all are fairly well organized.

Response from University College Cork

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, Sydney! I am so happy you enjoyed walking around our beautiful city and experiencing all that Cork and UCC have to offer to students. I hope you return for a visit very soon!

-Caela Provost, US Representative and North American Officer - University College Cork

Kyra

I loved Cork!

I loved the city of Cork. The lifestyle was very appealing to me and how close the main part of campus was to the city center was ideal. My housing itself was not the best, but its location was prime. Cork was absolutely beautiful! And being in a bigger city (but not too big), it was easy to get public transportation to travel around the country. My favorite part of the trip was meeting a bunch of the locals and them taking me to all the cool places in and around the city. I will definitely be going back to Cork in the future.

No comment.
Response from University College Cork

Kyra,

Thank you so much for your review of our study abroad program. I am so happy to hear that you loved your time in Cork, and that you were able to see the city through the eyes of the locals! I hope that you find your way back to Cork very soon.

-Caela Provost
US Representative- University College Cork

Sarah

UCC Abroad Experience 2016

Ever since starting college I wanted to study abroad. University College Cork seemed like a good fit so I took a chance and traveled to Cork in the Fall of 2016. Although nervous at first, I can confidently say this was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Upon coming to the university, I was placed in an early start program focused primarily on folklore, where I went on field trips that provided me with once in a lifetime opportunities. We traveled around the country (even took a boat to the Aran Islands!!) with the professor as we learned about Irish traditions and customs. This class not only allowed me to become more accustomed to everyday life in Cork and learn about the culture, it enabled me to meet people from all over the world. Additionally, UCC's International Students Society made it easy to meet people, many of which I'm still friends with today. Everyone I met in Cork was so welcoming and my friends and I had so much fun exploring the city, the pubs, and the nightlife. Cork is a city, but it feels more like a town, so it didn't take long for me to feel comfortable living there. I always felt safe, even at night.

I would recommend getting involved as much as possible. Step outside your comfort zone and join clubs, take classes you might not have at home, and talk to as many people as possible. By taking classes such as Irish folklore and Irish history I learned so much about topics I otherwise would know very little about! The professors were happy to give their recommendations or advice to the international students. I really think putting myself out there made me a more open and confident person.

I'm so thankful for my time in Cork studying at UCC and I would recommend it to anyone looking for an abroad experience!

Response from University College Cork

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for sharing your UCC experiences on our Go Overseas Page. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your adventures in Cork (especially with the Early Start Program and the International Society), and that you made wonderful, lasting friendships.

-Caela
Caela Provost, US Representative- UCC

Becky

UCC

UCC's large, diverse population made it a great school to choose. I felt like a learned a lot about so many cultures along with the Irish culture. My experiences were enhanced by the people that I got to share it with! At first, I spent a lot of time with other Americans. But, after awhile, I felt comfortable enough to branch out and this is how I had some of the greatest experiences. Interacting with different individuals and learning their stories was an important part of my study abroad experience.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Becky,

Thank you so much for talking about your UCC experience on Go Overseas! I am so thrilled that you were able to make wonderful friendships while abroad, and that UCC was able to provide such a cultural experience for you.

Again, all my thanks for your review!

Caela Provost
US Rep, University College Cork

Kelsey

Smiles All Around

Ireland has some of the most brilliant people. I recall aimlessly walking around Cork's City center during my first few weeks abroad and being approached by multiple Irishmen asking if I needed any help. No matter where you go in Ireland, the people are always more than willing to lend a helping hand. I quickly learned the Irish must have kindness imbedded in their genes, for they never failed to offer a warm smile or helping hand. The people made my experience.

The only thing I would add would be more program led trips. My program put together a "farm weekend" where we could stay in the home of an adorable Irish family for a weekend. They introduced us to a entirely different side of Ireland that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to experience if I had followed the touristic ways of making my way through Ireland. I wish my program had more trips like the farm weekend that I could have taken advantage of, free or not.
Response from University College Cork

Hi Kelsey,

Thank you so much for reviewing our programs on Go Overseas, and for posting pictures from your trip (the photo with the little lamb is adorable!). I'm so, so happy to hear that you had a great experience at UCC, and I appreciate your insight on how we can make our programs even better.

Thanks again for sharing your memories with us,

Caela Provost, UCC US Representative

Jessica

UCC Spring 2016

I had always wanted to study abroad and also go to Ireland. I was able to do both of those at once and it was amazing. When first walking up to UCC, my thoughts were how beautiful it was and "Is my school a castle"? Walking up to campus everyday with passing through the castle are memories that I will never forget. I was able to create stronger friendships while at UCC and also test myself by having a very different teaching method. At my home university, the classrooms have no more than 25 people and busy work. At UCC, most of the classrooms were bigger and I was tested to study each night after class so that I could move the knowledge learned from my short term memory to my long term. This helped with the midterm and final exams. The green quad on campus, the buildings, and the numerous ways to get involved in the campus help create an amazing experience for the student. Definitely recommend!!

Maybe have more events to do when it is raining because that deterred many of us from leaving our rooms.
Response from University College Cork

Hi Jessica,

Thank you so much for sharing your University College Cork experiences with everyone here on Go Overseas! I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time abroad, and that you enjoyed your time at "the castle" we like to call campus.

Here's hoping you get to return very soon!

Thanks again,

Caela Provost- US Representative, UCC

Samantha

A once in a lifetime opportunity that I couldn't have gotten anywhere else!

Studying abroad at the University College Cork was one of the best decisions I have made. I really felt welcomed as an international student. I met so many incredible people who are now some of my best friends. I still continue to talk to some of the other study abroad students as well as some of the local Irish students that I met while there. It was truly the opportunity of a lifetime. Not only did I have the opportunity to learn about Irish history and traditions in the classroom, but I was also able to immerse myself in modern Irish culture and experiences. Some of my favorite memories were exploring Ireland's beautiful mountains and coastlines. As beautiful as the rest of Ireland is, I think my favorite memories were made right in Cork. I loved exploring the city with new friends and meeting locals. I am truly grateful for this experience and I couldn't have gotten it anywhere else. I will definitely be back to visit in the near future. Not only did I study in this wonderful city, I built a life, made incredible memories, and met lifelong friends as well. If you are considering a study abroad program, definitely consider a program at UCC.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Samantha,

Wow, it sounds like you had an amazing time in Cork! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm so glad that you found a home away from home in Cork, and I hope you get the chance to visit again soon.

Caela Provost, US Rep- UCC

Shannon

Endless love for Ireland

My semester in Ireland was nothing short of amazing. I took 4 courses, totaling 25 Irish Credits. My roommates were both other international students and Irish students. Every part of the experience here was just so inspiring and eye-opening. I feel completely in love with Cork City, where I spent countless hours having a great time with my friends! I was also able to travel Ireland as well as Europe. Some travel through Ireland was even a part of the Irish Archaeology course that I took! I will never forget all of the fun events happening around the UCC campus, the awesome English marketplace downtown, the endless amounts of Irish culture that I learned about, and of course the lasting friendships that I made. I was a student who almost didn't study abroad out of fear, and I am so incredibly proud that I went and learned and experienced all that I did!

Response from University College Cork

Hi Shannon,

Thank you so, so much for your review of UCC! I am so glad that you decided to face your fears and come abroad; it sounds like you had a wonderful experience. I hope you get to return to Cork soon!

Caela Provost, US Rep- UCC

Grace

University College Cork Spring 2016

My semester at UCC was absolutely the best semester of my life. I was beyond nervous to leave home and begin my new experience in Ireland, but it was the best decision I have ever made. The UCC campus is incredibly beautiful and the students are so welcoming. My classes were challenging and gave me new perspectives on my major. I made the most amazing friends and fell completely in love with Ireland.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Grace,

Wow, it sounds like you had an amazing experience at UCC, and I'm so glad! Thank you for sharing your review; I hope you are able to come back and visit the Rebel County again very soon!

All my thanks,

Caela Provost, US Representative, University College Cork

Abbie

University College Cork Spring 2016

Attending University College Cork was my first taste of life abroad. When arriving onto campus, my stomach was filled with butterflies of nervousness, but that quickly turned to excitement as I saw the beautiful scene that was UCC. The welcoming professors and encouraging Student Society helped to ease my mind. The academics were not as challenging as my home institution, but it was a different in the fact that there was big lectures and more than 25 people to a class. The location of UCC was an excellent bonus as it is situation right by the River Lee. Deciding to study abroad in Ireland was the best decision I have ever made and I highly recommend the University College Cork programs.

Response from University College Cork

Hi Abbie,

I'm so, so glad that you loved your time at UCC and in Cork. Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our university. I hope you get the chance to return very soon!

-Caela
Caela Provost- US Representative, University College Cork

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About University College Cork

University College Cork is an institution that combines all the best aspects of research, academic excellence, Irish history and culture, student safety and welfare, and a vibrant campus life to create an exceptional study abroad experience. From our...