Graduate Programmes at the University of Limerick

The University of Limerick (UL) is renowned for its graduate employability, dedication to the student experience, industry-relevant programmes, award-winning research, stunning campus and UL`s deep commitment to community engagement. With close to 16,000 students, including 3,000 international students, UL is a young and enterprising university with a proud record of innovation in education and scholarship.

The UL International Office was ranked number 1 out of 51 UK and Ireland universities, and UL scored highest for pre-arrival information for international students. Nationally, UL boasts the best access to and quality of, accommodation; the best campus environment; the best multi-cultural learning environment, the best library; the best internet access on arrival, the best formal welcome and the best sports facilities.

• 97% of the University`s Graduates are employed or in further studies
  • Best International Office in Ireland & UK
  • Ranked World No.1 for International Student Happiness
  • No.1 Globally for Social Activities  (Clubs & Societies)
  • Best Accommodation Quality and Access in Ireland

Year Founded:
1972
International Students:
2,000

The University of Limerick (UL) is an independent, internationally focussed university with over 13,000 students, approximately 13% of whom are international. Established in 1972, UL is a young, energetic and enterprising university with a proud record of innovation in education and excellence in research and scholarship. Testament to this is the fact that ULs graduate employment rate is 18% higher than the national average!

2021 Ireland Scholarship Info Session: November 30th

Meet the GO team, learn about the scholarship to study abroad in Ireland in 2021, and get insider info on how to make your app stand out!

Scholarships for International Students

We have a number of partial merit-based scholarships. Once you submit an application you are automatically reviewed for scholarship. If you are eligible for scholarship, you will receive the decision at the same time as your offer.

$1,000 - $10,000

Me on the Alps
Megan

My 2 Year Masters Experience at UL

I loved my experience at UL, and mostly because I found myself surrounded by wonderful people, from my course, my on-campus apartment, and different societies. No matter what you're studying, I would recommend trying to get involved in societies to meet people!! My personal favourite was the outdoor pursuits club, which goes on hikes and climbs around Ireland on the weekends (as well as offers weekly climbing wall sessions).

To keep it brief, I studied at both Trinity in Dublin and the University of Limerick (UL) and preferred UL for several reasons, as follows:

- More authentic Irish feel vs big city feel. You're a bus ride away from Limerick city centre so you cannot walk there, but UL is a gorgeous campus and almost feels American in the sense that it has a lot of amenities on campus such as a pizza place, SPAR, pub, bank, etc. Also great campus for sports/gym use and walks around the grounds. In Dublin, it is very easy to lose the Irish culture and feel, but Limerick is more rural and felt more authentic to me - also get a different variety of accents (and county colours... but I'll let you figure that one out yourself :))
- I found it easier to integrate into Irish culture & society and meet/befriend Irish people but also had wide community of international friends on weekends since most Irish students go home
- The on-campus pub Stables is so FUN. (also, the chicken fillet rolls are to die for!!!)
- The international team is much more supportive at UL - they plan events and make it easy to get involved and make you feel heard and included in campus life (I felt none of this at Trinity).
- Limerick provides access to most major Irish cities and is a cute city in itself, but it is harder to access mainstream Europe because the closest airport is Shannon and Dublin is a bigger airport. This is only relevant if you'd prefer to travel Europe - for me I wanted to travel Ireland and I found Limerick was better for that than say, Dublin, in many ways because it's closer to spots like the Ring of Kerry and Cliffs of Moher, which people usually love (though my favourite was always Killaloe!!)
- Admin and wait times are slower in Ireland than in the states just in general - no matter the university - but immigration and the like tends to be easier in Limerick than in Dublin just because it is smaller and the International team is able to help you.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Important to get involved as much as you can, and say yes to everything!!! Try new things, sign up for trips on your own, you never know where life will take you! I have made some incredible friends at UL from all over Ireland and feel like it has been the greatest Irish experience I could have asked for, all while studying to get my degree too.
Ashley

The Best Decision I Ever Made

I studied abroad at UL in 2016 and fell in love with campus, the welcoming and exciting energy of UL and life as a Limerick resident. As soon as my semester ended, I had my heart set on going back. I needed to earn a master's degree to work in my field, and when I researched UL's programs I realized that tuition was significantly cheaper than schools in the US and programs tended to last only one year. Not to mention, I could work part time. I got to return to my favorite place in the world and even worked with the international office to support incoming students! At UL, I learned from professors and mentors who really cared about me and made friends that truly became family. I loved the people around me, my Limerick community, and Ireland!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Making the decision to move abroad not knowing anyone. I had to trust myself to make the decision that was right for me and not let fear of the unknown get in the way. There are so many ways to meet people and make friends in UL, whether it's classes, clubs or events in town. If I hadn't put myself out there, I would never have been able to meet people who I love like family today!
Read my full story
Lindsay

New found home

I decided to pursue my master's at UL not really know what to expect but it turned out to be some of the best memories and friendships I've had.
I was able to meet my closest friends through the buddy program and orientation events and we've been together ever since - taking trips all over Ireland and Europe!
My favorite part of studying here was the ease of life and ability to integrate. I've truly found another home that I can stay and feel I belong.

There was a lot of team work, which is good but not always best for developing individual skill sets. I would have liked to have been able to practice more theory and put it into practice.
Read my full story
Michelle

Returning to UL for my Masters

My decision to pursue a Masters degree at UL was largely based around my first experience at the University as a study abroad student in 2012. I had heard from a friend about the MA in International Tourism programme and after some researching I knew it was the right course for me. The programme blended students from all over the world such as the U.S., China, Cuba, Germany and Ireland. Our course took us on different field studies all around Ireland and even a trip to Cuba. As a class, we travelled to Cuba for a week where we learned and experienced first-hand about the tourism industry! Not to mention it was a great class bonding session. I would encourage anyone who is interested in getting a Masters in Ireland to look into the many options that UL has to offer. My experience as a Masters student was much different than when I studied abroad but it was different in a new and exciting way!

Mark

Great Irish life and study experiences

I came from an American research university on the east coast to complete a 1-year MSc math modelling at UL. I had a decent background in math, but was certainly taking courses that were going to be out of my comfort zone. The professors and the students in my program--many of whom were also new to upper-level math--worked with me through the entire year. Outside of the classroom I traveled the island with the guys in my program, going to Sunday dinners at their houses, visiting their hometowns, and taking long weekends in Dublin and along the Irish cost with them. It was the perfect blend of study and traveling, thanks to the group of fellow students. After UL I ended up at another American research university to continue graduate studies.

No program is perfect.