AIFS Study Abroad in Florence: Semester or Academic Year

AIFS Study Abroad in Florence: Semester or Academic Year

Earn up to 16 credits studying in beautiful, historic Florence. Students choose from a wide array of courses in humanities, business, fashion, studio art, photography and more. All courses are taught in English. Volunteer and internship opportunities are also available.

Students live in an apartment or homestay and cultural activities such as museum and gallery visits, Italian cooking classes, and more. An optional meal plan is available and internet access is included in all housing. Enjoy trips to Rome, Siena and Venice, and orientation in Rome (fall semester) or Pietrasanta (spring semester). Volunteer and Internship opportunities are available and interested students can enhance their volunteer work with a for-credit Service Learning and Active Citizenship course.

In Florence, artistic, cultural and historic richness is ever present. Whatever your tastes, Florence is the perfect city to acquire a genuine experience of Italian life and culture.

• Wine tasting and cooking classes
  • 2-day visit to Venice
Activities
Classes
Meals
Travel Insurance
AIFS is a premier provider of study abroad programs. Comprehensive fees cover tuition and housing with $800,000 in scholarship and grant funding available each year. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages are available.
Florence

You don't have to know any Italian! I hadn't taken any Italian classes prior to studying abroad and I knew maybe three words total before I went over. You will have to enroll in Italian classes through AIFS while you are studying there, but you need no prior experience with the language.
Do it! I spent a summer in studying Art History in Perugia (about 2 hrs south of Florence) and didn't know a lick of Italian. Particularly in a place like Florence you don't need to know much Italian to get by, other than learning how to order gelato. While you're there though you should definitely take a language class. It helps make the experience more authenticate and memorable.

Haley
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Alabama

It was everything I wanted and so much more...

Cities become your home when you get to share the city to your family and friends. One of the best 'aha' moments I had while abroad was when my mom got to visit me about half way through the semester. We were walking around the city and I was sharing everything that I knew about it, simply going on and on about how marvelous it was and why. I would talk about the Duomo and the small piazza by my apartment. My mom was impressed that I not only knew all of this information, but I knew every which way to turn while we were walking. She finally said that "Wow. This truly has become your new home." And it was simple moments like these that I truly miss the most about my time in Florence, Italy.

I had always known going in to college that I wanted to study abroad for a semester sometime during my four years. I chose Italy and immediately also chose Florence because I appreciated that it was a vibrant booming city but also a small city, in hopes that it would feel homey. I wanted to be in a place where another language was spoken. It turned out that many of the cafes I would go into often, the workers would want to help you learn Italian and would help you as you mumbled the little Italian you knew to order a cappuccino.

My next step was choosing which program I wanted to study abroad with. I was initially drawn towards AIFS (American Institute of Foreign Study) because, 1. It was an affiliate program for my school (University of Alabama), 2. It had a great flight package that would allow me to spend 3 days in London prior to arriving in Italy 3. It had a meal plan package that had great reviews and 4. It appeared to include a lot for the cost that was similar to other programs.

I ultimately chose AIFS and all I can say is AIFS went above and beyond everything I expected. It started off with the great flight package which included a 3 day all-inclusive trip to London and then a 5 day orientation in Rome. I really liked having an orientation in another city because in the morning, we would have orientation, and then in the afternoon, we got to explore the city, go the Vatican, etc.

The meal plan WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD. IT WAS INCREDIBLE! There is no better way to experience the culture of Italy than being able to eat at about 25 different restaurants throughout the city each night. Each restaurant ranged from a meal "gift card" or a set menu. And these restaurants had incredible food. It may have helped me gain a few pounds, but I also got to explore some of Italy's best food for no price. I know so many other students studying abroad that ended up cooking pasta and sauce for dinner every night to save money, whereas my friends and I got to go out to eat each night of the week.

AIFS also had an incredible and friendly staff to help you out if you need them, and planned many social events including volunteering the local schools, colleges, etc.; social nights with local Italians to practice your Italian and meet other students; free trips to the Italian country side as well as a 3 day trip to Venice; and even got to stay right on the river in an Italian style apartment. I’m telling you, AIFS did an incredible job of making sure we had every opportunity to fully engage in the Italian culture and I couldn’t have asked for anything better. With that, I urge anyone reading this to go for it and GO STUDY ABROAD.

I genuinely couldn't have asked for such a great program because it had everything I wanted and so so much more. The only area where the program could be improved is possibly making it more clear that choosing a home-stay will more than likely be with another fellow american. I was nervous to do a home-stay because I was unsure whether I wanted to be in a stranger's home alone. However, most of the people that did do a home-stay was paired with another american. I would suggest making that more clear. I ended loving my staying in my apartment right on the Arno river.

Bridgette
Rochester, New York
University of Michigan

AIFS Semester in Florence

One of my favorite stories from abroad comes from the week my family visited me. I want to start by saying that your goal abroad should be to make friends with anyone you meet and try to brighten their day.

We walked into a restaurant and were seated by a waiter who wasn't exactly rude, but he wasn't very friendly either. My family is a little overwhelming (even though there were only five of us) and we can be pretty loud. As the waiter left to get our drinks, my dad says "We are going to make him love us by the end of this dinner". We all laughed and agreed thinking that we could at least get him to smile maybe and have a conversation that consisted of more than a couple words.

We started off by asking his name and what his favorite dish was. We eventually asked him where he was from, where his favorite place in Sorrento was, about his family and other easy questions. Little by little he would share more with us. I think he especially loved when we asked his opinions on dishes we ordered.

He loved my sisters and me and by the end of the night he was kissing the three of us on the cheek! He gave us postcards from the restaurant and was extremely flattered when we asked if he could sign them. We then asked to get a picture and he was adorably happy to.

I like to share this story to encourage people to get to know the locals and others around them. Your immersion in the culture that you are visiting or studying in is completely up to you and you get out what you put in. Make it your goal to make friends with everyone you meet including drivers, waiters, hotel employees, anyone! Expanding horizons is what being abroad is about!

I wish it had been easier to plan my transportation after the program. What was really nice about AIFS was that they included a flight package if you wanted. However, you had to know when you were coming back and where you were flying out of before the program started. I had a feeling I would want to travel after the program ended, but I didn't know for how long, where to, or if I would for sure be able to. When I ended up deciding to travel for three more weeks after my program, I ended up having to spend a lot more to buy a new ticket because it would have costed me more to change the ticket I already had booked.

Brit
Denver, Colorado
Metropolitan State University of Denver

Best experience I could've asked for

My study abroad experience was everything I hoped it would be and so much more. The staff for Richmond was fantastic and helped us ease into the culture. I loved experiencing the culture and being able to travel to so many different countries. I would have loved to spend more time there. I made so many friends that are the only ones that understand what the experience was really like. I couldnt have asked for anything more from the program or the living situation they provided me with. The best 5 months of my life!

Shirley
Brownsville, OR

Olives, old men and

December 1st, 2006, generally a wintery day to me, was sunny and warm and we got the chance to go picking olives. Two old gentlemen workers didn't think a bunch of females could work like they did and they grumbled in Italian about it. By the time we quit mid afternoon, they were impressed. Old doors were laid flat on saw horses, tablecloth thrown on, and a rustic lunch was served outdoors. These two old men were smiling, and although they didn't speak English, and none of our group spoke Italian enough to know what they were saying most of the time, we understood the camaraderie that grew that day as they kept pouring us more wine and offering more food. It is one of my favorite memories of my time in Florence.
I felt at home in Firenze. I felt safe. I felt like I could live the rest of my life in Italy and be happy. The best thing I ever did in my life was to choose Florence for study abroad.

More hosted adventures. Or at least more info. Most weekends were on our own. Which was fine but I feel like I missed a lot mostly because of not knowing where to go, especially close by. Did Cinque Terra, French Riviera, Rome, Venice (awesome!!!! I'm so lucky!) but several weekends were spent roaming around Florence. Years later I realized I missed a lot.

Chris
Kansas City, Missouri
University of Kansas

Studying abroad helped paved the path to the teacher I am today.

The summer I spent in Florence was the best summer of my life. Not only did it open my eyes to another culture and a group of friends that I am still in contact with, it also helped me know that I need to be a teacher. In college, I had the faint idea that being a teacher is what I should do after college. Coming back from Florence I was a new person, I had this sense of being not only a citizen in my community, but I saw the importance of being a global citizen. I knew after that I needed to help student understand the world around them and the importance of being a global citizen.
My students today receive the eye opening experiences I received from my world travels. They love hearing about all these different cultures and always want to learn more (but sadly we just do not have the time for every story). I have had students who hated social studies before my class. After the year I have converted some of those students into lifelong cultural learners.
The impact this study abroad trip doesn't just impact my life, it impacts upwards of 150 students each year. Over the course of my teaching career, my study abroad trip in Florence will impact thousands of students. From my stories and my recommendations, I have created novice travelers. Just from my first year of teaching, I influenced 3 students to travel last summer.
I have the AIFS study abroad program to thank for that. Without the experience and friendships I created, I not only would know why I am a teacher, but I would not have the same ability to change over 100 lives every single year.

The one thing I would see is as in imporvement is an extensive list of cultural events in Florence. Events that you could only see, and experence, in Florence.

Vianca
San Diego, California

You'll fall in love with Florence

Florence is the most magical city of all time! I advise anyone studying abroad in Europe to go there. AIFS was right by the Piazza Santa Croce as well as our apartment which was absolutely amazing!! They were so helpful with everything we needed and gave the best travel advice on which ever country we were visiting for the weekend. If I can I would go back to Florence and study abroad with them again!

I wish my time is Florence was longer

Gabriella
West Chester University

Incredible

I cannot rave enough about my study abroad experience with AIFS last spring semester. The greatest thing about the program was the staff. They helped make an easy transition for the students into a new country. They were also incredibly friendly and supportive. This program gave me the freedom to feel independent, but still go to the staff if I had any questions or concerns. The meal plan was also an incredible addition to this program. My friends and I could not get enough of some of the restaurants included in the meal tickets. Overall, I recommend this program to anyone thinking about studying in another country.

Maybe offer more meal vouchers to those not traveling during breaks or holidays

Megan
Charleston, SC
College of Charleston

The Experience of a Lifetime!

As a Spring 2014 Florence alum, I have no doubt that AIFS was the best program I could've chosen to help me fulfill my nearly lifelong dream of studying abroad. And even now--half a year removed from my experience--there's not a day that goes by that I don't think back to my unforgettable time in Florence and the (what seems like) entire lifetime's worth of happy memories I created there.

To start, my favorite parts about the program were the meal plan and the almost daily activities/excursions AIFS offered once we arrived in Italy. The meal plan was a really great way to experience the food culture of Italy without breaking the bank--with our breakfast/lunch and dinner cards, my friends and I were able to dine at fancy restaurants we wouldn't have been able to afford off plan, grab a quick panino or pizza to go, buy fresh produce at the local fruit stand, go out for aperitivo (which is kind of like the Italian version of happy hour), go grocery shopping, and even buy cocktails at local bars. In addition, almost daily AIFS gave us the option of participating in cultural immersion activities such as attending soccer games, gelato tours, cooking and baking classes, wine tastings, the opera and ballet, and day-long excursions to various destinations throughout Italy. With the help of these activities, I felt I was able to come away from my abroad experience with an excellent grasp on Italian culture and daily Florentine life.

Overall, the AIFS program in Florence made the necessary accommodations for us students to live an extremely comfortable life in Italy without holding our hand, hovering, or babying us through the entire process. I had envisioned gaining invaluable independent living skills from my abroad experience--the last thing I wanted to be was dependent on my program in any way. For that reason, I really appreciated that AIFS took care of the hard stuff for us--arranging our airfare, setting us up in apartments, providing us with meal options, helping us locate doctors if we got sick, etc.--but then set us free to do our own thing as we pleased. With AIFS, you can be as independent as you want to be, but there's always an incredible support system to fall back on if you find yourself having trouble, and that was great to know.

I would enthusiastically recommend AIFS to anyone who is interested in studying abroad!

Jaleesa
Chicago
University of Evansville

2009 Spring Semester Experience

I'm still buzzing from this experience five years later. Living in Siena for three weeks, being independent in a foreign country, language immersion and the personal attention of the teachers.. oh yeah!! and all the most delicious Italian food on my regular food plan from school..

It was amazing. I sometimes wake up thinking I have just come back, but I have lived so much more since then and even traveled back to Europe this year to explore more and met Italians who I could STILL speak Italian.

All in all, if I was in undergrad I would definitely do this program again. In fact, they should create one specifically for graduate students and one for professionals. C'MON!

Rebecca
Washington State

Want a great experience?

Studying abroad through AIFS was honestly one of the best decisions I ever made. I lived in downtown Florence, Italy right around the corner from the Duomo, the Palazzo Vecchio, and the Ponte Vecchio bridge! It was right in the center of EVERYTHING! I compared it to New York City it was like living in "Time Square". Beyond the amazing apartment, the classes were spectacular! Art History was amazing because instead of reading about art work out of a text book we were right in front of the real thing! It was like having your own personal tour guild. In addition the staff is extremely fun and helpful with whatever you need! They really care about each student and their experience abroad. I was not disappointed with the extra activities AIFS put together. Some of those included: cooking classes, wine tasting, a pizza making class, field trips, olive oil tasting, an Opera show, a Halloween party, welcome dinner, and so much more! This program is completely affordable coming from a girl who did it on her own! I was 19 working a minimum wage job back at home and got myself to Italy! You would not regret taking the adventure abroad through AIFS, it is an experience I will never forget!

If I could change one thing about the program it would be the fact that our water heater didn't work very often so cold showers were a pretty normal occurrence!

TMiller
Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

Best Experience

Studying abroad with AIFS is one of the best decisions I have ever made. AIFS made my study abroad experience as smooth as possible. I felt safe, well fed and happy to attend a wide vary of activities provided for us. I took four classes and was in no shape or form overwhelmed by the work load. However, I learned so much academically. It was such a treat to attend class and then see paintings that I had learned about earlier that day in person. Our professor would take us there and reiterate what we learned in class in front of the masterpieces.

AIFS provided cultural activities for us to attend such as cooking classes and aperativo to name a few. Most of the time these activities didn't even cost us extra. The staff was incredible. If I ever had any questions they were there to help!

Because our program had about 200 people, I wasn't able to get to know everyone. I would have love to gotten to know more of the people on my program.

ndc
St. Augustine, Florida
Flagler College

Best Experience Ever!!

Studying abroad was the best decision I've ever made. I would encourage everyone to do it. I was able to make lifelong friends and travel to so many amazing places. Even though it has already been two years since I went (time flies!) it still feels like yesterday that I went. When you expose yourself to a new culture and lifestyle you learn an exponential amount of stuff about yourself that you're not able to learn in the classroom. You are faced daily with real life situations and discover many different aspects of the culture that you are not able to read in books or see in pictures.

I wish I could think of something bad to write about for this program. But being thousands of miles away from home things went amazingly smooth for the semester that I was there. The only thing that went slightly downhill was the food at the hotel we stayed at for the first two weeks in Lido.

Kelly
St. Paul, Minnesota
University of St. Thomas

The Best 4 Months of My Life

I had expectations going into studying abroad and AIFS completely exceeded my expectations! The staff was so helpful, the classes were easy which allow you to really enjoy your time abroad, the living situation was great and the people were amazing! It was awesome having a sort of "meal plan" for restaurants around Florence. It allowed me to enjoy all that Italy had to offer without worrying about spending my money. I really enjoyed going to London and Siena at the beginning of the semester and really get to know everyone in the program. If you're going to go abroad in Florence, Italy, AIFS is definitely the program to go with!!

It would've been nice not to have so many layovers on the way home.

Taylor
Rochester, NY
Saint John Fisher College

Taylor's Experience

This program was more than I even expected. From the amazing experience of living with a family and getting to know them, to the staff's helpfulness for everyday life, this program had it all! I specifically enjoyed the meal program and getting to know the restaurants around Florence! Il Teatro was our favorite and the owner and head waitress became a second family to us! I also loved the opportunities the school provided to different places, games, and the cooking classes, which were my favorite! AIFS in Florence thought of everything and made a seemless transition and experience in a new place!

I would change the flights to have smaller layovers.

Megan
High Point, NC
High Point University

Explore & Experience Florence with AIFS!

Writing about my experience going abroad brings back so many wonderful memories. If I could tell you anything, it would be to just go, study abroad and see the world, go not knowing anyone and with high expectations! Just a forewarning though, those expectations will be blown out of the water! The experience of studying abroad was life changing and by far the best thing I have done in my 22 years of life. The AIFS staff was absolutely incredible from beginning to end. I applied after the deadlines and with the help of all of their amazing staff was able to get everything together and two months later I found myself on a plane to Europe! The program leaders were extremely knowledgeable and helpful with everything from how to get to certain places, to recommending local places to enjoy apertivo, to setting up cultural activities like attending the florentina soccer games/the opera/cooking classes/ museum tours, etc, they were very concerned about our safety, AIFS's 2 week orientation course that focused on mastering the Italian language was great because I had no previous Italian language skills, the professors were extremely knowledgeable about the courses they taught, the meal plan was out of this world (I ended up gaining a couple pounds and having to buy all new pants, but every bite was worth it), the housing accommodations were perfect and I had a wonderful time getting to know and living with four girls in our own apartment. I could go on and on forever about my experiences abroad, the four months I spent in Florence, Italy will always hold a special place in my heart, and I thank AIFS for making every second possible and truly blowing my expectations out of the water!

I know Florence is a huge study abroad destination for students but I have heard that students in certain destinations knew everyone in their study abroad program. With our program being 200+ I did not get to meet everyone but I would have loved to form closer ties and met more people!

mce
Boston, MA
Emerson College

A Worthwhile Experience

My time in Florence was one of the best times of my life. While it was there, at times it was hard to see how amazing it was because I was preoccupied with worrying about things happening back home. But in the end, I realized how incredible the experience really was. Living in the city and experiencing the Italian way of life was something that most people never get to do, and something I will probably never get to do again. I discovered some of my favorite foods and restaurants during my time abroad, and made some lifelong friends who I shared unrepeatable experiences with.

Some of the classes felt a little like a waste of time. They were incredibly easy, which is maybe expected for a study abroad program, but I felt like the teachers could have put more stock in what they were teaching. The Italian language class was the only class I really felt like I learned something valuable from.

Stacy
Thousand Oaks, CA
California Lutheran University

The best 4 months of my 23 years of life

Studying abroad in Florence, Italy with AIFS remains one of the best decisions I have ever made. My only regret is that I didn't stay there for a year! Right from the start, AIFS made everything so easy. They took care of all my travel arrangements and were readily available to answer any questions that I had. This type of care continued throughout my stay in Italy. The staff at AIFS was a wonderful resource for learning about the Italian culture. There were always fun activities planned for students, from wine tasting and cooking classes to trips to Rome and Venice for Carnivale. In addition to the cultural activities, the required Italian language classes were a HUGE help when it came to communicating with locals and forming international friendships. Aside from the comprehensive nature of AIFS, I chose Florence because I wanted a location that had all the beauty, excitement and culture of a big city, but the charm and warmth of a small Italian village. In my experience, Italians were a very generous, welcoming people who were always willing to help you--even when you were stumbling through their language! There was always something exciting to do in Florence: hiking up to Piazza Michaelangelo to watch the Sunset, dancing to a Beatles tribute band at Bee Bop, savoring gelato on the Ponte Vecchio, exploring the beautiful Boboli Gardens, admiring Michaelangelo's David, enjoying 3 hour long dinners with friends, cheering on the local soccer team Fiorentina, or simply wandering around the city. While abroad, I made lasting friendships with both students and locals. I still consider my host mother Bruna to be my adopted grandma! It was these relationships, combined with the enchanting Italian culture and the organization of AIFS that made my sophomore year of college an exrtaordinary one. I left Florence a much stronger, wiser, courageous, open minded, ambitious and adventurous young woman. I think about my experience abroad almost daily, and it brings a smile to my face everytime.

Bailey
Des Moines, Iowa
Drake University

Study in Florence

The AIF Florence program was absolutely amazing. Not only did I learn a lot, but we were given far more opportunities then other study abroad programs in Florence. Many other programs didn't have room or board, but we had amazing apartments, and our meal plan was through authentic italian restaurants in Florence. We also got to go on day-trips with the school for little or no cost -- we went to Cinque Terre for 15 euro and Pisa for free! The staff at the school was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. If I had the choice to do it all over again, I'd still pick AIF Florence.

Liz
Queens, NY
University of Maryland

Incredible study abroad experience!

Studying abroad in Florence with AIFS was the best decision I made during my undergraduate career! The housing, meal plan, cultural excursions and activities were top notch. The classes were taught by Italian faculty members with first-hand knowledge of their subjects. The staff was excellent and available 24/7 for the students. I have recommended this program to many friends and will continue to do so!

boss

FIRENZE

I believe AIFS has the best program in Florence. While other students had to cook pasta every night, we were able to eat out at tons of different restaurants because of our meal plan, spending no money. AIFS also included fantastic trips to London, Siena, Rome and Venice - all included! The staff was fantastic; they would always make sure everything went smoothly, from travel arrangements to the legal stuff (visas, registering with the city) and took the extra step to help you out. The extra activities were great as well, from cooking classes to wine tastings, you name it. I wish I would have had the courage to do two semesters, because now I can't wail until I go back.

DanielleF
Los Angeles, CA

If you're going to study abroad, go with AIFS!

My semester in Florence was one of the best experiences of my college career! The classes I got to take through the AIFS were extremely interesting. Learning about art history and then being able to actually visit the sites was incredible. One of the best perks compared to other programs is the meal plan. They set you up with fantastic restaurants that you normally would not go to on a regular basis - friends on other programs were cooking rice in their apartments! The apartments are all in central locations in the city. I lucked out and mine was right near the Ponte Vecchio and 1 minute from school - how much better can it get! I would recommend this program hands down to anyone looking to study abroad. AIFS is fantastic!

MaxM
New York, NY
University of Texas- Austin

Best semester of college

My semester abroad in Florence was by far my favorite semester of college. The program was fun, flexible and filled with great people from the other students to the staff. I would absolutely recommend the AIFS Study Abroad Programs at Richmond in Florence to anyone considering studying abroad in Italy!

alyssa
woonsocket, rhode island
Rhode Island College

my life experience

When I first arrived in Italy I was extremely excited, nervous and worried thinking the worst because I had never left the United States before. But after a while I got to meet the other students and the staff and I can honestly say that this experience has changed my life forever. I am extremely grateful for having the opportunity to come to a country that I have wanted to visit since I was a little girl. I love being able to walk outside of my apartment and immediately be surrounded by art and history. Everyday you discover something new while exploring the streets of Florence. While here one of my favorite experience’s has been getting to know the family I live with. Being able to see an Italian family and how they interact with each other over the past few months has been a wonderful addition to this semester. I have a new opinion of family meals and have been given the chance to try many new foods while living with them. It was a great comfort to be able to talk with a family and get to know them each individually over the months. Their daughter Simona published her very first book “Secretum vitae” in October. It has been a great experience to witness the excitement of the family and to have the chance to be one of the first to read the book. The book is in Italian so I am slowly reading it and it is helping me learn Italian. I believe that every student should experience living in a home stay while studying abroad. When applying to the Richmond program we are warned not to create high expectations. I agree with this because when you get to Italy and experience Italian life you realize any expectations you could of came with were wrong. This is because Italy is different in a way you could never imagine.

Busia
Milwaukee, WI

AIFS lovin'

It may seem excessive that I rated this program 10/10 in every category, but it was seriously the greatest experience of my life and I can't imagine how any aspect of it could have been better. The location was fantastic, the professors and staff were amazing every step of the way, and I could not possibly recommend this program more highly. I miss Florence and the people at Richmond every day!

nutmeg12
Wellesley, MA
Babson College

Life-Changing Experience!

My time abroad in Italy through the AIFS Richmond in Florence program was an incredible, life-changing experience! The AIFS and Richmond staff were great- they were extremely supportive both before and during my stay. Our apartment was perfect and located only 3 minutes down the road from the school building. I especially loved the meal card system that Richmond in Florence offered. We got to eat some incredible authentic Italian meals using meal cards that were already paid for. No other program in Florence that I know of did that. The classes and professors were extremely interesting and the cultural activities that the program provided were very diverse and fun! It was amazing getting to learn about a foreign city and culture as you were living and studying there. By the end of the semester, I felt like I was truly a citizen of Florence. I don't regret going abroad with AIFS Richmond for one second!

AlyssaCarch

A life changing experience

I was extremely nervous before leaving for my trip abroad. Although, soon after our arival I realized I had nothing to be worried about. My trip was full of adventure, laughs, and even tears(the good kind). The days were always very relaxed with 2-3 classes a day Monday through Thursday. A few nights a week i would go out on the town with my other program members, who I became every close with. There was always something to do and always something to see. It was an unforgettable journey.

florence

AIFS Richmond in Florence

My experience abroad was amazing! If I could do it all again I would without a doubt do it through AIFS again. The program was great, welcoming and very helpful. The meal tickets and restaurants were amazing and definitely saved me a lot of money which came in use for traveling.

phoebeah18
Elon, NC
Elon University

AIFS RICHMOND IN FLORENCE: GO FOR IT!

an incredible program, with some of the greatest and most unique characteristics of an abroad program, including:
- meal plans: use provided meal cards to dine at some of the greatest restaurants throughout italy. a great way to save money and get exposed to places and people you would not otherwise. restaurant staff look forward to having american students, give you GREAT deals on food because of AIFS' established connections with each restaurant. this opportunity cannot be missed!
- pre-organized trips: Venice, Milan, Rome, Cinque Terre and more!
-extra curriculars: cooking class, wine tastings, vineyard tours, pizza making class, arts and crafts, trips to various cities throughout italy, soccer games- pay with MEAL PLANS- SAVE SO MUCH MONEY THROUGH AIFS!
- housing is incredible!

kd1409
Rhode Island
University of Rhode Island

AIFS-Best Program in Florence

MEAL PLAN MEAL PLAN MEAL PLAN! Restaurant vouchers for 20+ various and different restaurants all over the city where you eat off their special menu for Richmond students (2 or 3 courses, wine & dessert)or add up your food and pay the difference.

Apartments were nice, clean, safe located in unbelievable locations around the city.

Staff was extremely nice & helpful and always there if you had any issues/questions

Orientation was a huge success and really got you prepared for life in another country

Weekend/day trips around the country included in price (Rome, Pisa, Venice, Cinque Terre, day trips to vineyards, cooking lessons, pizza making, wine tastings)

Academics were very interesting, some challenging but well worth it! (Take renaissance art & History of the Mafia)

EmilyClarke
West Hartford, CT
University of Hartford

Emily Clarke's Review of AIFS- AMAZING

AIFS has left me with hands down the best experience of my entire life that I will never forget. Studying Abroad is always a great experience but going through AIFS has changed my life in the most positive way possible. The classes that were offered were all interesting and fairly simple to complete as long as some effort was put in. The teachers all spoke English (some broken English but not difficult to understand) The hours for the classes were great and all teachers were helpful and understanding. The staff at AIFS were always willing to assist me with an issues I was facing from homesickness, to health issues, to a reccommendation to a good restaurant. These people gave me a family away from home and were available 24 hours a day. A major positive that AIFS has compared to other programs (A friend of mine went through a different program and was jealous of this aspect) was that we had a 2 week orientation in a different part of the country where we took the language for 2 weeks prior to starting our semester. While there, I was able to meet and become friends with all of the students in my program. Other programs throw you into school right away and those people have seemed to find a difficult time adjusting and making friends. AIFS also includes a few weekend trips to see the country in which you are staying in and include great tour guides. These trips include transportation and stay. If I have one thing to say to anyone reading this, it is to GO ABROAD WITH AIFS. They have single handedly impacted my life forever.

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer.

With over half a