SAI Programs :: Study Abroad at NABA in Milan, Italy

SAI Programs :: Study Abroad at NABA in Milan, Italy

Take your passion for design to the next level by spending an inspiring semester with SAI at Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti in Milan, Italy!

NABA is world-class design school which takes an all-encompassing approach to design education by combining traditional know-how with cutting-edge advanced technology. Students are trained in a range of artistic techniques, allowing for individual experimentation and expression.

SAI oversees and coordinates all aspects of student enrollment, including application processing, course selection and credit, visa preparation, housing, student health insurance, transcripts and cell phone service. In addition, SAI provides comprehensive student services, beginning with pre-departure and leading to our on-site orientation.

Europe » Italy » Milan

Kolbyn
Manhattan, KS
Kansas State University

Education in the Design City

I chose to go to Milan because I am an Apparel and Textiles major and I wanted to be surrounded by fashion. I was able to attend Milan Fashion Week official shows and after-parties which was the main highlight of my time abroad (besides traveling to 11 other countries). Not only were the exploring parts of my trip awesome, but meeting my roommates and living in an apartment building where other locals lived really made me feel at home in this new city. We were located in a really friendly neighborhood with local grocery stores close by and school only being a 5-minute walk away. The city center was about a 20-minute walk, but I love people watching, so that was fine with me. The metro and public transportation was easy to use, much easier than Chicago or New York, even. The on-site staff was unbelievably skilled, always being available to answer questions. We went on a number of excursions both in Milan and in Italy. Once of my favorite things to do in Milan was to take a book and go sit inside the walls of Sforza Castle and spend hours there.

I cannot think of anything dire that needs to be changed about this program.

Catherine
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Oklahoma State University

Incredible, Life Changing Experience

Studying abroad was the best decision I have ever made! I was able to attend Fashion Week shows and create a photoshoot with a professional photographer, that I will be able to put in my portfolio! I have created professional connections through my professors, as well as lifelong friendships with students all over the world! SAI was incredible in acclimating us to the Italian culture while letting us be independent and experience things for ourselves. Studying abroad with SAI is a must!

SAI was perfect but if I had to change one thing, I would add more activities as a group in Milan itself. There were two groups of friends and it would have been nice to get us together more than twice the semester in Milan! However, other than that, I have no problems at all!

Russ
Birmingham, Alabama
Alabama

Excellent school, better people.

Lots of fun with school. I definitely recommend this program for everyone. I went through the SAI program and Claudia Castaneda was an absolute life saver. I cannot speak highly enough of her. She was there for anything i needed, from basic questions to bigger problems. She definitely made the whole experience much much better. My advice for anyone coming in the future is go to the school and SAI events, and do your best to travel. This is a once in a lifetime chance and enjoy yourself.

Best personell: Claudia Castaneda
Best teachers: Damon Pittman, Matia Bonato

Within reason, maybe make the classes a little more clear when you are signing up.

Crystal
Seattle, Washington
Washington State University

Great Time... Decent Schooling

The shuttle service provided by the school was great, as was my on-site advisor. The location of the school and the apartment was awesome as well - but the academics within the school? Not as great. The teacher for the Fashion Design class was absolutely horrible. Not only for 50% of the time did he cancel class or fail to show up, he did zero teaching. It also happened to be the class that it seemed that the majority of us looked forward to - especially since it said in the syllabus that we would produce an article of clothing (which never happened) and the said majority of us were also most disappointed by. Also there seemed to be technical difficulties with the e-mails - I never once received an e-mail from any of my teachers, and therefore missed many classes due to the fact that the location for them kept changing. While it didn't really hamper my experience abroad, it's just an annoyance to bear in mind (though it might have just been unlucky me.) The students in the classes were from other programs and super friendly even though we were all from different parts of the world - the only awkward barrier there seemed to be was the Chinese students... Which was awkward for me due to the fact that I'm an American... Who is fluent in both Chinese and English. Overall, I had a great time despite the difficulties.

Find a better Fashion Design teacher. Please.

MeganLalli
Feeding Hills, Massachusetts
Bern

Semester in Milan, Fall 2009

At the end of August 2009, I was a shy girl who embarked on my most life changing experience. I hopped on an Alitalia plane to study abroad in Milan without knowing a single person. Upon my arrival to my modern loft, I was greeted by my program coordinator, Jonathan Pantani on a Vespa. Just seeing a Vespa already stamped highlight on the trip!

Soon into my study abroad, all the students became well acquainted with one another, as we were all eager to find travel buddies and friends to explore all Milan has to offer with. I immediately grew this desire to see all I could and get the most out of my study abroad. With that being said, I stopped being a shy girl, cracked out of my shell, and made some of my best friends to this day from literally all over the United States.

From days to walking around Milano after classes to see the Duomo, shop 'til I drop, then going apperitivo in the evening and enjoying gelato and crepes afterwards, followed by going to the discotecas to dance the night away, to just walking along the canal to admire all the beautiful people that Milan attracts, I was quickly in love with a city I had recently met.

My courses in Milan were a real treat. The school ground of Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti is full of beautiful architecture and interesting student body/professors. Being able to order a cappuccino out of a vending machine was a delightful experience in itself! I learned a lot about the Italian lifestyle just by getting to know my professors and their class lessons. They are much more easy going than American professors, yet still expect the work to be done on time and up to high standards.

We had the luxury of only having classes Monday through Thursday to be able to travel around Europe. This was my favorite part of studying abroad. Although I took classes in Milan, I wouldn't say I studied abroad only there. I was able to travel to seventeen different cities in four months, and I learned so much in each and every city. I was able to study all over Europe. From northern and southern Italian cities, to London to Barcelona to Prague, I gained to much cultural insight and appreciation for other lifestyles.

I think about my experiences abroad every single day and each day I smile because of it. I am a different and better person today because of those four months. I end this review with a quote by James Baldwin, "I met a lot of people in Europe. I even encountered myself".

AlliStaff
Stillwater, Oklahoma

MOST AMAZING SUMMER OF MY LIFE

Attending NABA through SAI this past summer was the most amazing experience ever. The staff and professors at NABA are incredible and we are still in contact today. I wish I would have studied abroad an entire semester or even a year instead of just a summer! We've already made plans to go back to Milan and visit! Definitely worth it!!!!

Caely15
San Francisco

Amazing and devoted staff, beautiful country - best time of my life!

The staff at SAI was amazing - from start to finish they were SO friendly, fun and helpful. The housing was so close to school, which was great. The classes took into account the fact that we were abroad, so they were not SUPER demanding, allowing us ample time to see the city! Best time of my life! Everyone needs to study abroad!

With headquarters located just north of San Francisco, SAI Programs was founded in 1995 to serve as the US admissions office for an Italian art institute in Florence. Since that time, SAI has expanded into a full-service international education organization, working with partner schools throughout