SAI Study Abroad at John Cabot University in Rome, Italy

Colosseum
Colosseum
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
My friends and I in front of the Colosseum our last day in Rome!
My friends and I in front of the Colosseum our last day in Rome!
SAI offers walking tours throughout the semester. This is in front of the Pantheon, it's over 2,000 years old!
SAI offers excursions throughout the semester. SAI welcomes students to Rome with a visit to the famous Ostia Antica archaeological site. The group follows a guided tour of the site for a glimpse into the life of ancient Romans. Following the visit, we enjoyed lunch of a traditional Italian farm.

SAI invites students to experience the sweep of Italian history by spending a semester or summer in the heart of Rome! In partnership with John Cabot University (JCU), SAI offers students the opportunity to pursue an exceptional academic and cultural education in one of the most inspiring cities in the world. JCU offers a US-accredited liberal arts curriculum taught entirely in English and the school draws professors from around the world. Semester and summer programs offer students the option to enroll in a wide range of rigorous, elective courses. SAI oversees and coordinates all aspects of student enrollment, including application processing, course selection and credit, housing, visa advising, student health insurance, and transcripts. In addition, SAI provides comprehensive student services, from the moment of application, through the on-site experience, until students return home.

• Study abroad at a US-accredited University
  • Learn in small classes; JCU’s classes average 15 students.
  • Enjoy SAI's 360° Services
  • Option to complete an internship in the summer and semester

Sai offers premium housing every semester that offers a more central location and often newer interiors. It does cost extra money, but those are the best apartments. However, all the apartments are great! Sai does a great job of getting apartments in the area and they're all nice. The farther you get from JCU usually the larger the apartments. The closer you are normally it's slightly less space...
Apartments are located all over the neighborhood Trastevere which is where John Cabot is located. They're all totally different and some are two blocks away while others are a little over a mile. My apartment was one of the farther ones, but I was still able to walk there in fifteen minutes without taking any public transportation. Everyone had between 4-5 people total living in their house. I...

Brianna

Amazing experience

I learned so much during my time abroad. I had the ability to travel a LOT which was incredible, I learned so much about other countries and was able to do it with amazing friends. I had so much fun with everyone I met and being in a program helped me significantly when it came to simple questions to questions about visas and passports. An awesome thing about SAI is we had so many awesome excursions we were able to do including cooking classes, tours, etc. I loved my experience and would do it again in a heartbeat. There were a bunch of very funny experiences as well, relating to traveling and friends. One piece of advice is to check twice, buy once. We had so many mess-ups with traveling which at the time sucked but looking back is pretty funny. I would say if I have any recommendation, say yes, say yes to exploring the city, take the time to really get to know your home city and know that once you get home you'll want to be back.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would learn the language before I went. It was hard to make connections with locals because I didn't speak Italian and I really wish I would have.
Mariana

Choose Rome

SAI made it very easy for me to transition to life in Rome. They relieved so much of the stress of applying for housing, getting health insurance, and getting a meal plan. I was able to focus on school and adjusting to a new culture. They had cooking classes for us to participate in. A native Roman taught us how to prepare local dishes and we were able to take home what we made! We also went on excursions as a group. This was a great way to meet other students that were also studying abroad. We visited places that were not easily accessible compared to major cities. I was able to visit the beautiful region of Umbria and tour Assisi. Overall, I had an amazing time and met so many new people abroad! Rome was a very safe city and had so much culture. I would definitely do it all over again!

Christina

Once In A Lifetime!

I can't put into words how much I would encourage study abroad. SAI made me feel so comfortable and safe in such a scary experience! I would go back in a heart beat. I gained so much confidence and Independence through this experience that have already shaped so many of my career choices. Make sure you take advantage of traveling and meeting people throughout the country you are living in and try new foods! We lived in an apartment and the rest of the apartment building was all people who lived in Rome, really allowing us to be immersed into the culture. SAI also taught us all about public transportation and we really did become experts which helped when exploring Rome and feeling safe by yourself. There was a language course provided for a day during the first weekend there which was optional but it also helped so much!

Try to do a day trip by yourself! It is amazing how much you can do and learn about yourself!
McKenna

The best experience of my life!

It would be an understatement to say that I was nervous before leaving to go study in Rome for four months. However, through SAI, my worries went away shortly after arriving. Everything with SAI was incredibly organized and well planned out, from getting picked up from the airport, to all the planned activities and experiences throughout the semester. The onsite coordinators were always available and willing to help us with anything throughout my semester abroad, they were so caring and full of great suggestions. Additionally, the apartment that I stayed in through SAI was wonderful, so spacious and in a great location.

During my semester abroad I learned a ton about myself and became so much more independent and confident. I had so many new and incredible experiences and I made so many new lifelong friends. These four months in Rome were some of the best of my life and I am so glad I decided to study through SAI. Studying in Rome through SAI was one of the best decisions I ever made for myself.

Alexis

Bella

SAI made my experience what it was- beautiful and memorable. I learned so much about the culture while still remaining comfortable with my own cultural ideals. My housing situation was great, I had a gorgeous flat and an amazing roommate. I made some forever friends along with forever memories. I have considered going back abroad, a thought that did not occur prior to my experience abroad with SAI.

I would say little things like the meal plan available is not the great or big enough to last a semester.
Emily

Study abroad is the best experience ever!

Choosing to study abroad was the best decision I have ever made. It is an experience unlike any other and I would recommend it to anyone. It was amazing to fully immerse myself in a country that I had never been before. Rome was a beautiful city with so much history and culture to learn about. I was able to become so familiar with all the places around me and really started to feel like a local. It was also so much fun being able to travel on the weekends. I studied abroad for 5 weeks and then stayed an additional 3 weeks afterwards. During my program I never once felt like I was there for too long, if anything I was not there long enough! I had the time of my life studying abroad and cannot wait to go back!

Antonia

R(home) Sick

My study abroad experience was very unique because I was able to learn more about myself, my family heritage, and different cultures. I am so glad I chose SAI Programs and studied abroad in Rome, Italy. If it wasn't for SAI Programs, I probably wouldn't have met the people who have become my life-long friends. SAI Programs were extremely helpful in my transition from the United States to Italy. I enjoyed orientation and the excursion trip that was included in our program. My favorite memory is my trip to the Amalfi Coast. Not only did I fall in love with the view, but I overcame a fear. I pushed myself to take the ski lift to the top of Anacapri. It was the most breathtaking view that I will never forget. I felt like I was on top of the world and could handle anything. My life has changed tremendously since coming back home. I am in love with traveling and learning more about different cultures. I recommend SAI Programs to every student who is considering studying abroad because it will be the best experience of your life.

Jonathan Cole

SAI Programs Study Abroad Summer 2017 Review

Studying abroad through SAI was one of the best experiences of my entire life. I met new people from all over the United States and Europe and got to make connections with them that will last a lifetime. I got to jump right into the summer in my local Italian apartment in Trastevere, Roma and was surrounded by local italian culture 24 hours of the day.

SAI was extremely helpful with everything from figuring out where classes/monuments were to being a bit of a mentor to talk with about anything on your mind. Extremely happy I chose SAI and I hope I have the opportunity to take another trip some day.

More warning about how much food and doing things costs.
Sydney

SAI Rome

If you are interested in studying abroad I highly recommend going through SAI. A good way to describe the SAI/student relationship is like a big brother or sister type of relationship. They help you with not only the documentation but making sure you are transitioning well into your new environment. My SAI advisors were very hands-on and got to know us pretty well. Documentation is one of the hardest parts about studying abroad and SAI was very proactive with making sure we had everything we needed and that it was turned in on time.

Christina

Amazing program and amazing summer!

This summer, I had the best time of my life. SAI provided me with the perfect balance of support and safety, and independence. I learned a lot about traveling and interactions abroad, and felt deeply immersed in the Roman culture. I lived in a perfect location (Trastevere), my apartment was among other Italians, markets, and restaurants. I gained independence, traveling experience, and an open mindedness about other cultures.

I think they do a great job of giving students support, yet fostering independence. No improvements necessary.
Kate

SAI made my experience abroad run smoothly!

SAI was very helpful in addressing all my questions and concerns. The people I lived with have become life long friends. Everyone should take the chance to go abroad, you wont regret it. Traveling in Europe is super cheap and I recommend everyone take the opportunity to travel as much as they can. With the three day weekends guaranteed at JCU and the possibility for four day weekends, it makes for just enough time to travel to new places.

N/A
Juliette

Semester of a lifetime

SAI has given me the opportunity to grow in so many ways after studying in Rome, Italy. They have influenced me to be more culturally sensitive, adventurous, and humble. It was a great way to see the world, experience a different learning environment, and to meet new friends. I don't have anything bad to say about what SAI had to offer. The staff was always welcoming and helpful, the excursions offered were always fun and expanded outside of Rome and into other various parts of Italy. Although JCU wasn't the best school to take classes for my major (Social Ecology), I was still able to complete many courses that fulfilled my General Education requirements that were needed to graduate. When studying in Rome, I was also able to travel to other European countries which inspired me to want to continue traveling and explore the world. I would highly recommend SAI programs because they offer so much for the student and are very helpful in guiding you throughout your study abroad experience.
My study abroad experience with SAI was a pivotal point in my college career because it was an experience that influenced me to want to inspire other students to travel abroad, but to also keep on traveling and to seek other on-campus programs that allowed me to expand my college experience. During my winter quarter of 2017 I was able to go to Washington DC for an academic internship program. Without the experience of studying abroad with SAI, I don't think I would have been empowered to take on new academic programs that gave me the opportunity to experience and improve my educational experience.

SAI was a great program, but JCU would be great they could improve their variety of course offerings.
Felicia

Experience of a Lifetime!

SAI provided me with the experience of a lifetime! The academics at John Cabot were once in a lifetime; they offer many unique classes you cannot take anywhere else, including an on-site history class, neighborhoods of Rome, and so many more! I learned a new language and made friends of a lifetime. Volunteer opportunities are highly encouraged and I had the opportunity to volunteer at the local Refugee Center with other John Cabot University students.
The onsite support was incredible and the excursions were indescribable. If you ever have any questions, your onsite staff are readily available with insider information! Studying abroad with SAI was by far one of the best decisions I could have made!
The housing options were very nice. I lived in the center of Rome 5 minutes from John Cabot, surrounded by amazing smells and history around every corner. Each semester I shared a room with one other student in an apartment with 4 or 6 students total. There were two bathrooms, which was greatly appreciated, a homely kitchen, and a lively living room- a place to call home.
Best food ever. Hands down. Without a doubt. You are in Italy- known for its pasta, pizza, and gelato. You cannot go wrong. Definitely enjoy the authentic gelato while you can! 10/10
I had the opportunity to have Italian neighbors, classes with international students from all over the world and on site classes that taught me the history of ancient Rome. Volunteer opportunities also added a sense of belonging.
I felt completely safe and at ease the entire year while abroad. The location is incredible and I never once worried about my safety, even lost at 5 in the morning. Most people know English and it can be a fun experience to get a little lost. Be aware of your surroundings and be responsible but I never once felt unsafe.
I never had any health issues while abroad but there are pharmacies with English speaking doctors and the onsite staff can always direct you in the right direction. You are also provided with health insurance through SAI, which helps put your mind at ease.
SAI was the best possible option for me in the best city in the world! (No, I'm not biased ;) Words cannot describe the amazing experience I had, in Rome, at John Cabot University, and with SAI! I gained a sense of self-worth and understanding while abroad. I am not afraid to go out of my comfort zone and I owe everything to this incredible experience.

This program offers the best of everything. I sound cliche but it was the best experience of my life!
Megan

Best Experience of My Life!

Studying abroad in Rome with SAI was definitely the best and most rewarding experiences of my life! Living in a city with such a diverse and unique culture and being able to travel around Europe at my own leisure was incredible. Not to mention the amazing staff of SAI to help out with anything and everything I needed made me feel a little more at home. I met some of my best friends, traveled to the most beautiful places, and learned more about myself than I ever thought I could.

Tj

Phenomenal Experience!

SAI Rome was a phenomenal study abroad experience to be a part of! Everything from picking us up at the airport upon arrival to determining housing was completed by SAI. They provided numerous excursions throughout Rome and Italy that were great experiences, including a weekend-long trip to Tuscany. They also were available at any time to answer questions about transportation or life in Rome in general. Would heavily recommend!

Have the program's apartment housing be located near each other. Most of the apartments were at least a 15-20 minute walk away from each other, which made it difficult to establish friendships with everyone in the program. If the housing was all located within the same street or group of blocks, it would have allowed for a more tight knit community within the SAI program as a whole.