SAI Programs :: Study at Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona

SAI Programs is a complete study abroad program offering comprehensive and affordable educational programs paired with exciting cultural experiences in five Italian cities, as well as Paris, London, and Barcelona. Our programs include US university credit and our host schools are considered among the finest in their respective academic areas.

The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) was founded in 1968 and is well known for its international profile. Courses are now taught in English and Spanish. UAB is a young, dynamic institution, and is among the best universities in Spain, both for the quality of its teaching staff and for its excellent research. Roughly 40,000 students attend the main campus in the Bellaterra section of Barcelona.

Along with getting the chance to broaden their studies at a prestigious university, students choosing this program also have the opportunity to experience the Spanish and Catalan cultures unique to Barcelona.

Hey Jeffrey, I took three classes while in Barcelona: International Business, Cross-Cultural Management, and Managerial Skills. The classes were taught in English but by two Spanish and one Belgian professor. The instructors were great and all had plenty of real world experience as well as lots of academic experience and credentials. All three were graded based on participation, presentations and...

Sabrina

Great Study Abroad Experience

I had a really great semester studying abroad with SAI in Barcelona. I felt as though I could always contact all of SAI’s staff with any questions I had, and all of the excursions and events that were planned were well done. Barcelona in itself was an amazing city to study abroad in for the semester. There was always something new to see or do. Additionally, my classes at UAB were interesting and I enjoyed them. Overall, a great experience.

Andy

SAI and UAB, the perfect combination

absolutely loved studying abroad through SAI at UAB. I studied business and looked forward to class everyday. I took 2 very thorough and in-depth business classes as well as 3 cultural immersion classes featuring many field trips and guest speakers. SAI did an excellent job of keeping me informed on all events going on in Barcelona every week through a newsletter, answered any questions in a timely manner before I even got to Barcelona, and has provided an incredible amount of support constantly throughout the semester. I am proud to say that SAI was the best possible program. Many big programs are more expensive, do not offer as many excursions, and you build an actual relationship with the staff instead of being "just a number" with the big programs. I highly recommend studying at UAB with SAI!!!

Adam

Study Abroad with SAI!

I had an amazing experience with SAI. The program schedules very many trips and activities paid for with your tuition, and they are all so fun. Also, the SAI program leaders are SO awesome. Everyone is extremely helpful and nice. I had many friends in other programs around Barcelona, and I was by far the luckiest. SAI set me up with an awesome group of roommates in an awesome apartment. Study abroad with SAI Barcelona and you’ll have the best 4 months of your life.

It couldn’t be improved. It’s awesome.
Emma

Your Best Life

My time in Barcelona would not have been half of the adventure it was without SAI. From the support back in the States to the two program supervisors abroad, every step of the way they ensured that this was the greatest time of my life. I got my credit card stolen the first day I was here and the Program supervisor here in Barcelona made it her goal to ensure that I received my new one from America and through customs as quickly as possible. The intimacy of a smaller group makes the experience so much more fun due to how quickly you make friends with people from all across the world. Included in SAI’s program is a weekend all expense paid trip to Sevilla, the most amazing and lit city in the south of Spain. Getting to take over a hotel for the weekend with so many new friends was an experience I’ll never forget. If you travel to Barcelona you have to do it through SAI. Not kidding.

Let me stay forever.
Jenna

Safe, Fun, Cheap Exploration (but a lot of Americans)

I had a great time in Barcelona. There were only 6 people in my program, which meant I got a lot of personal attention. I loved all my classes, and they were very small. My Spanish improved greatly, and my professors were all amazing. I loved the beaches, and the people. My only complaint is my program surrounded us with Americans. But overall the experience was very good! It was a good amount of time, and some of my favorite memories include hiking Montjuic in the middle of a storm by myself, and seeing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child for my 19th birthday on a weekend trip in London.

More cultural integration, option for a host family
Lauren

Pick SAI and Barcelona!

I absolutely loved everything about SAI. It's so much better to do a small program because you really get to know your (amazing) program director and can talk to her one on one. You also really get to know all of the other students in your program and you all become a close family. All of the excursions are so much fun and so well planned out. Barcelona is an amazing city with so much to offer. Any type of person can have an incredible experience there. You can go to the beach, hike a mountain, go to museums and art galleries and/or go to Camp Nou to see a futbol game! Definitely pick SAI and Barcelona! I would go back in a heartbeat.

N/A
Binh

An Unforgettable Experience

I would highly recommend SAI for anyone considering studying abroad in Barcelona. What makes SAI stand out compared to other study abroad providers is the small size of the program which facilitates getting to know the other students better and the coordinator in Barcelona who is extremely helpful, supportive, organized, and knowledgeable about the city, and she was always available to give suggestions, answer questions, or address any issues. Additionally, my interactions with SAI staff during enrollment and the process of receiving my transcript went very smoothly. The lower cost of the 4-week language course (there are also 6-week courses available, and subjects other than language such as business) relative to offerings from other study abroad programs I looked at but still providing everything I desired was a bonus as well and the location of student housing a block away from the Sagrada Familia is unbeatable. However, the unit did get fairly warm (it was the summer, after all) so fans and open windows were a necessity at times. Any maintenance that came up was dealt with in a timely manner. We had a good amount of excursions including a cooking class, visits to a primary school and the coastal town of Sitges, and tours of a cathedral in the Gothic Quarter and a historic hospital complex, but the program also allowed for much flexibility and independence in being able to go out and explore on our own and immerse ourselves in the culture, traditions, and lifestyle, and there was ample opportunity to meet people from other programs. Although I only took a 4-week course, I learned lots of Spanish, especially vocabulary, and my professors were excellent instructors who were understanding and accommodating and integrated elements of Spanish culture into the lessons. I received more individualized attention since the class was small, and obtained quite a bit of practice with listening and speaking. It struck a fair balance in that the class provided enough of a challenge (5 hours a day for 5 days a week) but was not overwhelming with homework, so I had the opportunity to go out everyday. Furthermore, for my 4-week program, the classrooms were located in a historic building that is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Overall this unique combination of factors made my study abroad experience an enjoyable and life-changing one and SAI was a great choice for me - my only complaint is that I wasn’t able to stay longer!

Carter

Studying Abroad with SAI in Barcelona, Spain

I had the time of my life studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain and SAI was able to make that happen for me. They were helpful from the beginning till the end, and without them being my provider I would have been lost the entire time. My on-site program coordinator was amazing, and was loved by our entire group! There was one time when I locked myself out of my apartment and none of my roommates were there to let me in; they were all on vacation for the weekend. Mireia wasn't in the office that day because it was weekend, but I called her anyway to see if she would be able to help me. I was on the phone with her for about 5 minutes and she said that she would send someone to my apartment in 15 minutes to let me in! And sure enough, someone was there to help me back into my apartment thanks to Mireia. It was that easy and I got so upset over it because I thought I was going to be homeless for the weekend, but Mireia was willing to help immediately to get me back in the apartment.

That is only one of many stories I have about how SAI made my experience in Spain enjoyable and safe. I will never forget about my study abroad experience in Spain and SAI was a big part of making that happen!

Jamie

Barcelona is always a good idea!

I studied abroad last fall in Barcelona and I am still to this day thinking about it constantly! I miss the streets, the shopping, the food and most of all the atmosphere! I wish everyday that I could go back to this place and finish out the rest of my college years at UAB in Barcelona. If it weren't for SAI, I would not have had the comfortable, safe experience that I did. I never felt more at home than I did in Barcelona and that is solely because SAI helped me feel at home. My coordinator was always helpful with directions and advice on the city and it was comforting to know that she was there to help us. My housing was incredible and made me really feel immersed in the culture. I can't wait for the day I get to go back to Barcelona and relive the best time of my life!

Mason

A Great Experience

Studying abroad with SAI programs was definitely the best decision. All of SAI's staff were helpful in answering the many questions I had leading up to my departure to Barcelona. Once here, Mireia has been very helpful and kind, and made the transition to living in another country as smooth as possible! I enjoyed the number and variety of different excursions Mireia and SAI provided us. I also really appreciate the smaller size of SAI's program, which allowed me to connect with my study abroad classmates on a closer level. If I have a friend or family member decide to study abroad, SAI will without a doubt be the first program I recommend, and Barcelona the first program!

Eileen

Semester in Barcelona

SAI is the best program to study with in Barcelona! Before coming I was so worried that I would be in a smaller program but it was the perfect size. You get to know the other students more and you get more individual attention from the coordinator. All of the excursions are led my the coordinator because she's so knowledgeable on everything Barcelona! There was the perfect amount of support - we all felt we could go to our coordinator if we needed her but we were also living abroad like adults and becoming more independent. The classes weren't as challenging at the university but I wouldn't have wanted to spend any more time than I had to on school work when I'm living in such a great city!

Ashley

Amazing program in beautiful Barcelona!

Studying abroad with SAI in the beautiful city of Barcelona was such an incredible experience. Mireia, the program coordinator in Barcelona, was absolutely amazing and so helpful whenever I needed her help with anything. The excursions included with the program were so much fun and I definitely recommend taking full advantage of all of the trips/activities offered. My personal favorite was the weekend trip to Sevilla in Southern Spain where we took a bike tour of the city, went to a flamenco show, toured the cathedral, and had lots of free time to explore. My apartment was a little further from the city center, but it was still very nice and it was so easy to walk or take public transportation anywhere I wanted to go.
Now onto school since believe it or not, I did go to Barcelona to STUDY abroad. I took 15 credits in business, marketing, and spanish classes at UAB. Even though the workload was much less, I feel like I learned so much that I can actually apply to my future because there was much more practical work rather than just busy work and lectures.

I think it would be beneficial for the program to look into offering homestay options in the future in order for students to have more interaction with locals from Barcelona. Since all of my roommates were also from America and all of my classes were with Americans, Brazilians, Germans, and Belgians, it was a little more difficult to find local friends.

Mike

Barcelona: My home away from home

There are too many stories from my experience to pick just one to share but a night I will never forget happened without needing to leave my apartment. It was a Thursday night and I didn't feel like venturing out so I decided to hang out around the apartment and plan some trips for the following weeks. I opened the window to let the warm air in and heard my downstairs neighbors having a get-together. I heard the familiar symptoms of a small party: music, bottles and glasses clinking, and friends talking and laughing. What blew my mind, however, was that these conversations were going on in four or five different languages, all at the same time! The host couple made comments in Catalan and Spanish and laughed in complete understanding when some of the guests answered in French, Italian and English. There may have been other languages and dialects too. I was fascinated and decided to turn my music down and sit on the window ledge to listen while I googled my next destinations. Eventually they noticed me and instead of being bothered chose to say hello and made me part of their multilingual conversation. I was blown away by how well these people could communicate in such different ways, yet still understand every phrase and emotion.

Barcelona is a wonderful city full of Catalan and Spanish culture, but also an incredible international hub of people from literally everywhere in the world. Not a day went by during my stay where I didn't see or hear someone from a new country. If you want a truly international experience, Barca is the place to go!

The excursions were wonderful, but maybe throw in a few more!
Ben

Go Home, to Barcelona.

Barcelona is an incredible city. At first it can be a little crazy to get use to but once you do it feels like home. The Catalan people are amazing, and welcoming. Go out and explore the city because that proved to be the most amazing experience and it didn't cost a dime. SAI programs made it possible to truly experience the city as a local and you can't ask for much more than that.

Gym memberships would be nice! But with all the walking done in the city, it isn't essential.
Rachel

The Best Summer of My Life

SAI was the absolute perfect program for me. Our onsite coordinator was available whenever I needed help or wanted information, but she mostly left us to explore on our own. I took a couple of impromptu trips, one to Monserrat and another to Madrid, and they were the best times I could've imagined! I never felt like I was all alone in Spain, but I also felt free to do what I wanted when I wanted, all while earning credit towards my minor!

I wish that I would've immersed myself more in the language. Barcelona is a very tourist-centered city, so most people speak English as well and Spanish and Catalan. I wish I would've worked harder to improve my Spanish skills instead of just letting them speak English to me. Also, the program was pretty small, but I made plenty of friends from other programs in my classes!

About SAI Programs

With headquarters located just north of San Francisco, SAI Programs was founded in 1995 to serve as the US admissions office for an Italian art institute in Florence. Since that time, SAI has expanded into a full-service international education...