SAI Study Abroad at Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona in Spain

Temple Expiatori del Sagrat Cor
Temple Expiatori del Sagrat Cor
Torre Agbar
Torre Agbar
View from the tower of the cathedral in Sevilla
This a picture of me looking out to the entire city of Barcelona. I was on my way up to Tibidabo; the highest point in Barcelona!
Study Abroad in Barcelona
Study Abroad in Barcelona
La Sagrada Familia looking over her city

SAI invites students to experience Barcelona's vibrant diversity! SAI’s partner school, the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), is a dynamic institution with an excellent reputation in Spain and globally. With its roots in the Catalan tradition, UAB offers a unique opportunity for study abroad students to enroll in English-taught courses in the heart of Barcelona. The hub of the study abroad program is at the Sant Pau campus, a stunning display of Catalan Modernist architecture situated in downtown Barcelona. In addition to supporting students throughout their stay in Barcelona, SAI also coordinates a range of activities and excursions throughout the term, including a weekend trip to Seville (semester only), cooking classes, a Flamenco dance demonstration, a Barcelona scavenger hunt, and much more!

• A wide range of courses in English offered year-round.
  • Courses offer Mediterranean perspective on global issues.
  • Cultural events and excursions offered throughout term
  • Enjoy SAI's 360° Services

Hey Jeffrey, I took three classes while in Barcelona: International Business, Cross-Cultural Management, and Managerial Skills. The classes were taught in English but by two Spanish and one Belgian professor. The instructors were great and all had plenty of real world experience as well as lots of academic experience and credentials. All three were graded based on participation, presentations and...

Brianna

I LOVE SAI PROGRAMS AND I LOVE BARCELONA

I wouId HIGHLY recommend SAI Programs to study abroad with. The program staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They helped me schedule several doctors appointments, and even went to the police station with me when my phone was stolen to help me retrieve it, which I greatly appreciated because my Spanish isn't very good. They excursions provided by the program are very well organized and SUPER fun. The staff are also very good at getting to know each student and really make sure each of us are safe, happy, and having a good time. I am positive that my study abroad experience would have been much harder and no where near as enjoyable without the SAI staff at my side. If you want to study abroad (which you should because its awesome!!) then DEFINITELY check SAI Programs, and consider Barcelona as your destination!!

Cindy

hard to leave

This program has been so instrumental in my study abroad experience. The directors for the program were so readily available to help us make this experience the best we could have. They genuinely care so much for each individual in the program, and I'm so glad out of all the programs I considered, I chose this one. I was lucky enough to find myself surrounded by the company of such great people for the past semester. They made it incredibly easy to explore this city and immerse ourself in the culture, gave suggestions on our other travels, and made sure we focused on our studies as well. They gave us support but also enough room to learn how to be independent and figure things out for ourselves. SO lucky to have this program and to have met the people I have through it! Feel like I've gained a second family.

This program was perfect. Couldn't have asked for more. Always attentive and willing to help!
Ashlynne

Beautiful Barcelona

My time in Barcelona was extraordinary! I was able to explore so many different places, eat so many different foods, and be immersed in a completely different culture. If anyone is trying to decide to study abroad, I would highly recommend not only Barcelona, but the program I went through. They completely made my experience and allowed me to have unforgettable memories. Some of my favorite memories were how easy it was to travel within and outside of the country! I was able to go to thirteen different countries during my time abroad. During April I was able to travel to amsterdam with some girls I met through my program, I ate the best pancakes of my life and sat in the most beautiful parks. Being able to experience new cultures and languages is something that I think a I will cherish for the rest of my life. Study abroad is an experience I won’t ever forget and I’ve tried to incorporate the lessons I’ve learned even though I’m back in the states now.

Victoria

Best Experience

My expirience abroad taught me a lot about myself and other cultures. I would study abroad through SAI again because they made me comfortable through the entire process from start to finish of studying abroad. Sandrine and Leticia are amazing and really care about each and every one of us and there was only 16 people in my program and I liked that it was a smaller group and we all got really close.

I wouldn't change anything about the program specifically except adding more activities to do as a group throughout the weeks and not just weekends.
Ellie

Safe and Fun

Two of the most important factors while studying abroad I find to be is being safe while also having fun. I found myself feeling both of those 99% of the time. Go on trips, step outside comfort zone, try new foods. Do it all. SAI had wonderful ladies in Barcelona that were always there for us 24/7. They took us on trips, personable, helped with anything we had questions with. Cared for us and we always told them when we were gone. They help you plan trips, give recommendations. They were wonderful in all aspects of studying abroad. The place I went that I didn't feel safe was Morocco. If you choose to go there make sure you're with a larger group of people, stick together, and stay in a safe place. Every other place in Europe I went I was always comfortable and felt safe.

be longer
Sabrina

Great Study Abroad Experience

I had a really great semester studying abroad with SAI in Barcelona. I felt as though I could always contact all of SAI’s staff with any questions I had, and all of the excursions and events that were planned were well done. Barcelona in itself was an amazing city to study abroad in for the semester. There was always something new to see or do. Additionally, my classes at UAB were interesting and I enjoyed them. Overall, a great experience.

Andy

SAI and UAB, the perfect combination

absolutely loved studying abroad through SAI at UAB. I studied business and looked forward to class everyday. I took 2 very thorough and in-depth business classes as well as 3 cultural immersion classes featuring many field trips and guest speakers. SAI did an excellent job of keeping me informed on all events going on in Barcelona every week through a newsletter, answered any questions in a timely manner before I even got to Barcelona, and has provided an incredible amount of support constantly throughout the semester. I am proud to say that SAI was the best possible program. Many big programs are more expensive, do not offer as many excursions, and you build an actual relationship with the staff instead of being "just a number" with the big programs. I highly recommend studying at UAB with SAI!!!

Adam

Study Abroad with SAI!

I had an amazing experience with SAI. The program schedules very many trips and activities paid for with your tuition, and they are all so fun. Also, the SAI program leaders are SO awesome. Everyone is extremely helpful and nice. I had many friends in other programs around Barcelona, and I was by far the luckiest. SAI set me up with an awesome group of roommates in an awesome apartment. Study abroad with SAI Barcelona and you’ll have the best 4 months of your life.

It couldn’t be improved. It’s awesome.
Emma

Your Best Life

My time in Barcelona would not have been half of the adventure it was without SAI. From the support back in the States to the two program supervisors abroad, every step of the way they ensured that this was the greatest time of my life. I got my credit card stolen the first day I was here and the Program supervisor here in Barcelona made it her goal to ensure that I received my new one from America and through customs as quickly as possible. The intimacy of a smaller group makes the experience so much more fun due to how quickly you make friends with people from all across the world. Included in SAI’s program is a weekend all expense paid trip to Sevilla, the most amazing and lit city in the south of Spain. Getting to take over a hotel for the weekend with so many new friends was an experience I’ll never forget. If you travel to Barcelona you have to do it through SAI. Not kidding.

Let me stay forever.
Jenna

Safe, Fun, Cheap Exploration (but a lot of Americans)

I had a great time in Barcelona. There were only 6 people in my program, which meant I got a lot of personal attention. I loved all my classes, and they were very small. My Spanish improved greatly, and my professors were all amazing. I loved the beaches, and the people. My only complaint is my program surrounded us with Americans. But overall the experience was very good! It was a good amount of time, and some of my favorite memories include hiking Montjuic in the middle of a storm by myself, and seeing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child for my 19th birthday on a weekend trip in London.

More cultural integration, option for a host family
Lauren

Pick SAI and Barcelona!

I absolutely loved everything about SAI. It's so much better to do a small program because you really get to know your (amazing) program director and can talk to her one on one. You also really get to know all of the other students in your program and you all become a close family. All of the excursions are so much fun and so well planned out. Barcelona is an amazing city with so much to offer. Any type of person can have an incredible experience there. You can go to the beach, hike a mountain, go to museums and art galleries and/or go to Camp Nou to see a futbol game! Definitely pick SAI and Barcelona! I would go back in a heartbeat.

N/A
Binh

An Unforgettable Experience

I would highly recommend SAI for anyone considering studying abroad in Barcelona. What makes SAI stand out compared to other study abroad providers is the small size of the program which facilitates getting to know the other students better and the coordinator in Barcelona who is extremely helpful, supportive, organized, and knowledgeable about the city, and she was always available to give suggestions, answer questions, or address any issues. Additionally, my interactions with SAI staff during enrollment and the process of receiving my transcript went very smoothly. The lower cost of the 4-week language course (there are also 6-week courses available, and subjects other than language such as business) relative to offerings from other study abroad programs I looked at but still providing everything I desired was a bonus as well and the location of student housing a block away from the Sagrada Familia is unbeatable. However, the unit did get fairly warm (it was the summer, after all) so fans and open windows were a necessity at times. Any maintenance that came up was dealt with in a timely manner. We had a good amount of excursions including a cooking class, visits to a primary school and the coastal town of Sitges, and tours of a cathedral in the Gothic Quarter and a historic hospital complex, but the program also allowed for much flexibility and independence in being able to go out and explore on our own and immerse ourselves in the culture, traditions, and lifestyle, and there was ample opportunity to meet people from other programs. Although I only took a 4-week course, I learned lots of Spanish, especially vocabulary, and my professors were excellent instructors who were understanding and accommodating and integrated elements of Spanish culture into the lessons. I received more individualized attention since the class was small, and obtained quite a bit of practice with listening and speaking. It struck a fair balance in that the class provided enough of a challenge (5 hours a day for 5 days a week) but was not overwhelming with homework, so I had the opportunity to go out everyday. Furthermore, for my 4-week program, the classrooms were located in a historic building that is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Overall this unique combination of factors made my study abroad experience an enjoyable and life-changing one and SAI was a great choice for me - my only complaint is that I wasn’t able to stay longer!

Carter

Studying Abroad with SAI in Barcelona, Spain

I had the time of my life studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain and SAI was able to make that happen for me. They were helpful from the beginning till the end, and without them being my provider I would have been lost the entire time. My on-site program coordinator was amazing, and was loved by our entire group! There was one time when I locked myself out of my apartment and none of my roommates were there to let me in; they were all on vacation for the weekend. Mireia wasn't in the office that day because it was weekend, but I called her anyway to see if she would be able to help me. I was on the phone with her for about 5 minutes and she said that she would send someone to my apartment in 15 minutes to let me in! And sure enough, someone was there to help me back into my apartment thanks to Mireia. It was that easy and I got so upset over it because I thought I was going to be homeless for the weekend, but Mireia was willing to help immediately to get me back in the apartment.

That is only one of many stories I have about how SAI made my experience in Spain enjoyable and safe. I will never forget about my study abroad experience in Spain and SAI was a big part of making that happen!

Jamie

Barcelona is always a good idea!

I studied abroad last fall in Barcelona and I am still to this day thinking about it constantly! I miss the streets, the shopping, the food and most of all the atmosphere! I wish everyday that I could go back to this place and finish out the rest of my college years at UAB in Barcelona. If it weren't for SAI, I would not have had the comfortable, safe experience that I did. I never felt more at home than I did in Barcelona and that is solely because SAI helped me feel at home. My coordinator was always helpful with directions and advice on the city and it was comforting to know that she was there to help us. My housing was incredible and made me really feel immersed in the culture. I can't wait for the day I get to go back to Barcelona and relive the best time of my life!

Mason

A Great Experience

Studying abroad with SAI programs was definitely the best decision. All of SAI's staff were helpful in answering the many questions I had leading up to my departure to Barcelona. Once here, Mireia has been very helpful and kind, and made the transition to living in another country as smooth as possible! I enjoyed the number and variety of different excursions Mireia and SAI provided us. I also really appreciate the smaller size of SAI's program, which allowed me to connect with my study abroad classmates on a closer level. If I have a friend or family member decide to study abroad, SAI will without a doubt be the first program I recommend, and Barcelona the first program!

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About SAI Programs

Since 1995, SAI has provided students with exceptional cultural and educational experiences abroad, offering the opportunity to enroll in some of the finest schools available to English speaking students in Europe. SAI is dedicated to providing...