Classics, Humanities, and Italian Studies with UNH

Classics, Humanities, and Italian Studies with UNH

A beautiful medieval city in the province of the Marches, Ascoli Piceno is an unspoiled provincial capital, enjoying much of the cultural richness and vibrancy of larger cities, while preserving the charm and authenticity of a medieval city off the usual tourist itinerary.

It is a piece of the real Italy that few foreigners ever see, and provides participants with an authentic Italian experience, while still keeping them well connected to national and European transportation networks.

Europe » Italy
Art History
Food Science and Nutrition
Italian

Sydney
Osaka, Japan

Best Three Months of My Life

In the fall of 2012 I lived in Ascoli Piceno through a study abroad program with the University of New Hampshire. My time spend in Ascoli was one of the best experiences of my life. It's hard for me to put into words exactly what made this experience so great for me because in reality it was a combination of everything about my stay in Ascoli that made it perfect. I made amazing friends, both from UNH and from Ascoli, I learned a beautiful new language, the food was the best I've ever had in my entire life, I gained a deeper understanding for the amazing history and culture of Italy and most importantly I had the time of my life. I was so relaxed and stress-free and just truly able to be myself in Italy. I have been searching for something that gives me the same high as when I walked the streets of Ascoli, but I have yet to find it. Even now, two years later I still think back to my time in Italy and look upon it fondly, wishing every second of everyday that I could go back to that beautiful place.

The only way this program could be better was if it was offered for a year rather than only one semester.

Lisa
Florence, Italy
University of New Hampshire

Studying in Italy outside of the Tourist Traps

UNH in Italy was a wonderful program because it gave me an option to study in real Italy - away from the tourist areas of Rome and Florence. I studied for my spring semester in Ascoli Piceno - a three hour bus drive from Rome. Here, the twelve other students and I were the only foreigners in town and thus needed to improve our Italian immediately in order to get around town and get our daily errands accomplished. Because it was a small program, my classes were very personalized and accommodating to my needs. My intermediate italian class was only myself and one other student and I feel I improved a lot with daily instruction from Monday-Thursday.
Because we weren't engulfed in other american school programs, I had the opportunity to create local friends and enjoyed my nights out around the beautiful medieval town as well as gallivanting off into the Italian countryside in little white Fiats every night my friends were free. It was an incredible experience that allowed me to truly experience Italian culture and improve my language skills. I recommend this program highly.

The program could be improved with a little more understanding between italian staff and american students. I feel that sometimes a middle-man would've been beneficial to explain cultural differences on both sides of problems in order to aid some miscommunication we had through my stay.

Congratulations--you are taking the first step towards studying abroad! At UNH, study abroad is a valued and encouraged educational experience—one that enriches your academic, professional and personal development and prepares you, as part of the new generation of leaders, for the challenges of global citizenship