CEA Study Abroad in Rome, Italy

Rome, Italy
View of St. Peter's Basilica from Tiber River in Prati.
My favorite gelateria - L'Arena Del Gelato.
The first restaurant in Rome to serve Neapolitan style pizza! 10/10 recommend.

Study abroad in Rome and discover la dolce vita— the sweet life. Imagine studying art history as you gaze up at the Sistine Chapel, or learning theology just a few blocks from the Vatican. Life in the Eternal City is an experience of a lifetime!

Students attend classes at the centrally located CEA Rome Center, or with CEA’s partner, the Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociali (LUISS). Courses at both locations are designed for students of all Italian language levels and are complementary, with business, Italian language, and social sciences taught at CEA; and politics, philosophy, and Economics taught at LUISS.

In addition to study abroad, the CEA™ Internships Abroad, offers you a hands-on, pre-professioanl experience to help you rise above the competition.

Interested? Click the “Visit Site” button to learn what’s possible!

• Hands-on learning experiences that transform the world abroad into a classroom
  • Personalized Pre-Departure Advising, including visa and immigration support
  • Courses offered in English that fulfill major and general graduation requirements
  • Comprehensive on-site support, including 24/7 emergency phone
  • Career workshops, Internships Abroad, and Alumni Ambassador positions

CEA Scholarships
CEA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Studying abroad will change your life, improve your employability, and enhance your global competence. That's why we commit more than $2.0 million each year to our financial and scholarship programs.

$400 - $3,000

Apply by 10/3/2019 and get a $1,000 flight voucher!

Allow yourself to experience cultures in parts of the world you’ve only ever dreamt of. Take this opportunity to make this your life. Apply by October 3, 2019, and get up to $1000 in flight vouchers toward study or internship programs abroad.

Hi Peo, We would love to assist you with study abroad planning. One of our requirements is that our students are at least 18 years old. If you would like to speak with an Admissions Counselor, please give us a call at 1-800-266-4441. Thank you, CEA Enrollment
Hi, thanks for stopping by! Deadlines vary by program, so we would recommend checking out the different program dates to see which is the best fit for you. Here is a link to CEA's Rome programs for you to check out: https://www.ceastudyabroad.com/explore/programs/rome .
Hi Ric. Yes, we only offer programs for U.S. and Canadian students. Normally, we require a minimum GPA requirement of 2.5 to 3.0, depending upon the program. Feel free to explore our locations on GoOverseas. You can also find more information at our website: www.ceaStudyAbroad.com !
Best bet for these questions is right here: https://www.ceastudyabroad.com/student-faq

Rebekah

Engineering in Rome

I had a great time in my Art and Archaeology of Ancient Rome course! This was like a three week walking tour of the city, with as much history crammed in as we could absorb. It really helped me get acquainted with my surroundings, and lead me to appreciate the city even if I couldn't love it (I am NOT a city person). My Materials Science class was easy enough despite being accelerated.
I enjoyed the amount of free time that I had during the program. I had the chance to explore countless museums in the area, visit the beach, wander parks, and travel outside the city (Florence, Sorento, Capri, and Pisa). I met students from my own university that I would not have otherwise, as well as students from other colleges in the US. Overall, I had a ton of fun within and outside the program.

Our housing situation was... interesting. We often had strangers knocking at our door at all hours, particularly at the door we were instructed never to open. There were leather bag vendors that would set up directly in front of our door. The alley that our apartment was in was unlit at night.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for your review, Rebekah. We’re glad to hear you had a positive experience in Rome with CEA’s activities and excursions. We are always working to incorporate valuable feedback into our programs to give students the best experience possible. We have shared your housing notes with the team to make sure this is addressed, and if you would like to share any further feedback, please reach out to us at [email protected] Thanks!

Julia

great experience

Amazing neighborhood - safe, lots of shops, close to the academic center, easy to get to transportation. CEA provided a lot of activities, including a pizza and gelato crawl, a yoga class, and a pasta making class. All were very fun (and free)! The trips they planned were also very organized. The staff was very helpful if you had questions. Transportation advice and other recommendations were great. Only tough thing was that the housing did not have air conditioning but we were provided with fans so we were able to make do. I would really recommend the art and archeology class. We got to see literally every historical monument and museum in Rome (entry tickets were included with the class). It was like having a private tour group for all of Rome for 3 weeks.

Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for your review, Julia. We’re glad to hear you had a positive experience in Rome with CEA’s activities and excursions, as well as the art & archaeology class. We are always working to incorporate valuable feedback into our programs to give students the best experience possible. We have shared your notes with the team to make sure this is addressed, and if you would like to share any further feedback, please reach out to us at [email protected] Thanks!

Schuyler

Perfect program to study abroad with

The CEA Study Abroad program in Rome is the perfect program to study abroad through. The course's academics are credible enough to earn credits towards degrees, while not overtaking the free time students have available while in Rome. The staff of CEA are extremely kind, thoughtful, and helpful for any student who has questions and are all always looking out for each student, whether it's on the amazing program-organized trips or for daily life in the capital. Additionally, the staff made an effort to get to know each student during the trip, making it very easy for students to approach them with questions or concerns throughout the entire trip. Studying abroad with CEA gave me the best experience I could have asked for to spend the summer studying away from home.

Come with an open mind and willingness to be spontaneous. Being confident enough to just go with the flow led to some great memories while on this trip, which is all part of the fun of the whole journey.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you so much for your detailed review, Schuyler. We love hearing that you had such a positive, life-changing experience with CEA, and that our wonderful Rome staff were so accommodating. Your advice to future students is spot-on! We wish you all the best!

Riki

Rome, Italy

I had a great time studying and staying in Rome. The program was a great opportunity to explore Rome and different cities including Florence and Capri during the trip as well. There were plenty of open weekends to travel on your own as well. I really enjoyed the classes I took: however, I did not like having tests and homework being pushed back a lot. I felt that everything piled up on the last week which made my trip end more stressfully. I also had some problems with housing that I do not think were resolved fast enough or even resolved at all. There was a week where we were not allowed to use one shower and bathroom at all and were only left with one bathtub for five people and it was over 90 degrees that week. Overall, the trip was good though!

I would improve the way housing issues are taken care of.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for your review, Riki. We’re glad to hear you had a positive experience in Rome with CEA’s activities and excursions. We are always working to incorporate valuable feedback into our programs to give students the best experience possible. We have shared your notes with the team to make sure this is addressed, and if you would like to share any further feedback, please reach out to us at [email protected] Thanks!

Megan

Great Experience!

I had a great time studying abroad with CEA in Rome. I have always wanted to study abroad and so I am truly grateful that I was able to make it a reality. I was able to meet some amazing people, eat a lot of amazing Italian food and enjoy traveling to other countries every weekend. I enjoyed the small class sizes since it made getting to know people within the program really easy. I do wish there were Italian students as well to really give that immersed, study abroad feel. The housing was great. I loved living in the Prati neighborhood. There was plenty of places to eat and great gelato on every corner. I felt safe throughout the entire experience in Rome. The staff and faculty were also incredibly friendly and helpful. Shoutout to my girl Cecilia for always having everything so organized and covered. Overall, it was a great experience that I'll never forget.

If I could change anything, I would like a broader course selection. It was difficult choosing classes, because a few of the classes I wanted filled up right away so I was stuck taking business electives that I don't need.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for your review, Megan! We’re thrilled to hear you had a positive experience in Rome with CEA, and your thorough feedback + tips will serve as a guide for future students when researching their own study abroad destinations. We are always working to incorporate constructive suggestions like yours into our program offerings and have shared your notes about course selection with the team, so if there is anything else you would like to share, please send us a note at [email protected] We are so appreciative of your contributions as a CEA MOJO, too! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors, and be sure to stop by and say “Ciao” the next time you find yourself in Rome!

Leah

Exactly what you want in a study abroad program!

CEA Rome was incredible in all aspects; mostly due to the people. The faculty was truly unmatched. From the second I arrived at orientation, I knew I chose a great program. We were well-informed on any and all information we could ever need, and the staff made themselves available for any and all questions/concerns of students (your parents can definitely rest east sending you here). Having a small, close-knit program, they really made us feel like family as students. The neighborhood, housing, small class sizes, safety, and school activities/trips were all excellent. Rome is a big city, but this program provided a community for me that made it feel like "home". I made lifelong friends in this program and would absolutely recommend it to anyone.

Response from CEA Study Abroad

Leah, thank you for sharing your thoughts about your semester with CEA in Rome! We are so glad you had a positive experience with our wonderful Rome staff and overall making Rome a second home! Keep in touch with those lifelong study abroad friends 😊 We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Katherine

Best time

Had the best time of my life. Was worried to go abroad at first but the moment I landed I was met at the airport with friendly staff from the program and transportation to my apartment. The first week was spent showing us the city and informing us about the safety and culture of Rome. We were given activities such as a group scavenger hunt throughout all of Rome in order to accustom ourselves to the city, find our way around, and see the beautiful sites. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and were always informative. We were given opportunities to participate in many group activities to see the city and immerse ourselves in the Roman culture. They also provided free trips with the program to see other Italian sites and cities together.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Seeing the Colosseum for the first time truly takes your breath away.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

This is music to our ears, Katherine! Your thoughtful review will help guide future CEA students when deciding upon their own study abroad programs and destinations. We are so glad you had a wonderful time with CEA, and we hope you’ll stop by and say “ciao” the next time you find yourself in Roma!

Adam

Eye-opening

Studying in Italy helped me to gain a broader view of the world. As a business major, it is always helpful to see what people value from different places. It was amazing to see the differences between people's interactions with one another in Rome, other places in Italy, as well as other European countries. I met some great people from different parts of the US and from the rest of Europe. It was great to study in a country that had a main language that was not English, because this made the experience seem that much more authentic. Exploring Italy was fantastic; there are so many differences between each region. My recommendation to future travelers is to soak it all in early and do not push anything off, as the program is shorter than it may seem!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
My Italian roommate introduced me to a place which sells cow tongue as a street food.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for your thoughtful review, Adam! We’re thrilled to hear how you made the most of your time studying abroad, from immersing yourself in the Italian language to meeting so many new people from different places (and even trying cow tongue!). Be sure to stop by and say hello the next time you find yourself in Rome!

Chloe

Very easy, enjoyable experience!

This program is so well conducted, and you will have an incredible time living in one of the most historically charged cities in the world. The apartments are in fantastic, central locations and you will probably never have the opportunity to live in such an incredible location for so long again. I loved having the support right from the beginning of my decision to study abroad. There was someone to help and guide you every step of the way, so I felt confident knowing everything was going to be taken care of and I could focus more on having a good time. Excursions are well organized, so you get the most out of your time in each location. The staff and professors are all wonderful, and I really had a great learning experience overall. Study abroad is a must-do experience for college and CEA is a great way to do it!

Take advantage of the fact that you're living in Rome! Enjoy it and don't travel too much outside of Italy or you won't do what you went abroad to do - immerse yourself in a culture and learn its intricacies.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Chloe, we LOVE your advice for future Rome students and your thoughtful review is music to our ears! We’re so glad you had a wonderfully enriching time abroad with CEA surrounded by history, and we are thankful you chose CEA to write this chapter of your own history. Your review will help guide future students when deciding upon their own study abroad programs.

Devon
No, I don't recommend this program

An experience

My study abroad time in Rome was good. I can leave here being able to say I studied abroad in Rome! My classes were a bit harder than expected and attendance was strict, so I was not able to travel as much as I had hoped. Additionally, since the CEA program is relatively small and since we were not studying at an actual international university, you are limited to making and meeting friends with people within the CEA program. There were 7 of us living in my apartment, which personally I believed was too many people for the amount of amenities that were in the apartment. For example, only one of everything (fridge, washer, sink, etc.) and only 2 toilets and 2 showers. However the apartment was located extremely close to the CEA center which was very convenient. The CEA Rome staff was great. Everyone was extremely helpful and answered to your emails or in-person requests in an extremely timely manner. They were all very kind and helped made the transition to life in Italy very smooth and easy. The activities and programs they designed and developed were great fun and a great way to experience the Italian culture. Overall my study abroad experience was exactly that, an experience. I do not regret coming, however there are some things that I would change and do differently if given the opportunity.

Nothing is structurally wrong with the CEA Rome Program. Personally it was just not the full abroad experience I was hoping to get. I did not get to meet any Italian students in class and any friend I made was limited to also being in the CEA program. This is not CEA's fault, instead it is my own fault for not choosing a program that was through an actual university such as JCU.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Devon, we’re glad you had a great experience with our CEA staff and enjoyed the activities and excursions they arranged in Rome. Thanks for your candid feedback about your experience – we appreciate hearing about your time abroad, as this information is valuable for us as we continue building our programs for future study abroad students.

Profile picture
Gabrielle

Studying Abroad in Rome with CEA

Choosing to study abroad in Rome with CEA was definitely a great choice! The CEA-staff prepared a nice and fun orientation, in which explained their expectations for the semester, how classes and excursions would work and also gave the students several housing and safety tips.
I would like to point out their housing choice because I was very positively surprised by it. The apartment I stayed in was very modern, clean and organized. I shared it with five other girls and each two had their own bedroom. The kitchen came with basic utensils and for our first few days in the city, the CEA team provided a “Prima Spesa” (First Shop) with pasta, tomato sauce, olive oil, etc., for us to cook and have our first "family" meal together while getting to know one another.
Additionally, I really liked the Photography class at CEA because it incorporated in-class workshops with outdoors classes, which allowed students to practice their photography skills in several different environments and also get to know more their study abroad city.
I would recommend this program for students who want to get out of their comfort zone, visit new places and make friends, but who still want the possibility of being in contact with the American environment, since classes are taught in English and majority of the students are Americans.

Juliana

Studying Abroad in Rome with CEA

I could not have been happier choosing CEA to study abroad in Rome, Italy. They provided a wonderful structure for the programs and allowed for so many great opportunities. I enrolled int he Full Curriculum program that partners with John Cabot University (JCU), and I absolutely loved it. The CEA Center and student apartments are in a neighborhood that's a great location within walking distance of JCU and anything else important to Rome, including the Trevi Fountain all the way to the Colosseum. The classes offered at both CEA and JCU are wonderful, and I truly enjoyed all of them. The CEA staff was always eager to help students with major issues or simply giving advice on local favorites for food or gelato. I loved the CEA excursions to Florence and other cities! Learning how to make fresh pasta early in the semester during the cultural experiences helped with cooking throughout the semester! I would highly recommend studying abroad with CEA in any country, but especially in beautiful Roma!

Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for the review Juliana! We’re so glad you enjoyed studying abroad with us in Rome.

Jillian

Excellent program!

I had an amazing time studying abroad with CEA in Rome. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I had some unforgettable experiences, met some amazing people and at a lot of delicious Italian food. I enjoyed having Rome as my home base after weekends traveling. It was the perfect size for me as I got to know certain areas really well but was also always discovering new things. You can never run out of things to do in Rome!

Have a wider variety of courses to take at CEA.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for the review and suggestions Jillian. If you’re ever back in Rome, please stop in to visit.

Ryan

Beyond Expectation

CEA Rome offers spacious housing in a great location, diverse courses, courses designed for the exploration of Rome and the understanding of Italian culture, fun excursions both in Rome and in greater Italy, intelligent and helpful staff members, and employs strong professors. Objectively, the program is very strong from a logistical point of view. What is even more notable, though, is the relational and atmospheric aspects of CEA Rome. It is in these categories that the staff members exceed all expectations. The staff of CEA Rome is genuinely fantastic and work hard to create a welcoming, inclusive environment. They are accommodating, easy to talk to, and fun to talk to. Even when I did not have class at the center I would want to go and simply sit and talk with the staff. The atmosphere at CEA Rome is what blew me away about the program. While I enjoyed the diverse courses and the excursions, each day and each trip was made much better by the simple fact that it was genuinely enjoyable to be around each and every staff member. The center acts and feels like a community that is fantastic to be a part of.

While it would have been impossible given the students that went to Rome the spring as I did, I think the program could improve with a class geared towards conversational Italian for those students who already have a background in the language.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Ryan, thank you for the well-rounded review of our Rome study center and suggestions on how we can improve.

Grace

A Semester I Will Never Forget

The semester I spent abroad in Rome with CEA was one of the best of my life. I met amazing people, learned a lot about the Italian culture, ate some of the best food in the world, and discovered more about myself in the process. Rome was the perfect city for me because there was always something new to do if I was not traveling on the weekends but is also a very easy city to come in and out of when I was traveling around Europe. I have made unforgettable memories with friends I will have for the rest of my life and if I could go abroad again, I would in a heart beat.

More course offerings at CEA would have been nice but the option of being a part time student at John Cabot helps combat that a little bit.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

We are glad Rome was an unforgettable experience for you Grace. If you do make it back, please visit us.

Location:
Leonardo da Vinci
( FCO )
Ciampino–G. B. Pastine International
( CIA )

Italy in general is known for its "Dolce Vita" lifestyle that keeps people in a state of never-ending bliss while traveling here. In Rome you will experience ancient ruins, all of the pasta you can stomach, and timeless works of art.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About CEA Study Abroad

With 23 destinations across 13 countries, CEA Study Abroad offers an ideal balance of academics, internships, and adventure to more than 4,000 students each year. Find out where learning abroad can take you by clicking the “Visit Site” button and...