CEA Study Abroad in Rome, Italy

CEA Study Abroad in Rome, Italy

Study abroad in Rome and discover la dolce vita— the sweet life. Imagine studying art history as you gaze up at the Sistine Chapel, or learning theology just a few blocks from the Vatican. Life in the Eternal City is an experience of a lifetime!

Students attend classes at the centrally located CEA Rome Center, or with CEA’s partner, the Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociali (LUISS). Courses at both locations are designed for students of all Italian language levels and are complementary, with business, Italian language, and social sciences taught at CEA; and politics, philosophy, and Economics taught at LUISS.

In addition to study abroad, the CEA™ Internships Abroad, offers you a hands-on, pre-professioanl experience to help you rise above the competition.

Interested? Click the “Visit Site” button to learn what’s possible!

• Hands-on learning experiences that transform the world abroad into a classroom
  • Personalized Pre-Departure Advising, including visa and immigration support
  • Courses offered in English that fulfill major and general graduation requirements
  • Comprehensive on-site support, including 24/7 emergency phone
Philosophy
Sociology
Theology
High School Diploma
Included: Personalized Pre-departure Advising; Tuition & Registration; Travel Medical Insurance; On-site Orientation; Housing; Volunteer Opportunities; On-site Staff Support; Excursions and Cultural Engagement; Host Institution Services & Amenities and more. Scholarships available.

Nope! You don't have to speak Italian, although knowing some common words and phrases before arrival will be helpful. (You probably already know more Italian than you realize!) You will also get a crash course in the language during orientation. Regarding your other question: since CEA is a third-party study abroad organization, you do not have to go to a certain university or college to apply.

brooke
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Chance of a lifetime with CEA

Studying abroad is the chance of a lifetime. You get to travel the world while also learning new cultures and creating memories and experiences with people you will never forget.

CEA was super helpful with answering all my questions I had before going abroad. They were there every step of the way, which made me feel more comfortable about going somewhere I had never gone before. They make the application process simple and help you figure out which program is best for you.

I loved the staff at CEA Rome Center. They definitely made it feel like a home away from home. They were helpful, kind, understanding, and funny. Before I went on my weekend trips with friends, I would ask the staff if they had been where I was planning to go, because they usually knew cool local spots and places I wouldn't have thought to look for on my own.

I took interesting classes like Business Ethics in a Global Context, Cross-Cultural Management, Italian, and Social history of the Italian Mafia. The classes were small and hands-on, and I enjoyed both the professors and the things we learned about. It was a very cool learning environment that I will never forget!

I am so grateful that I studied abroad with CEA!

Robin
Los Angeles, California

CEA in Rome

I really enjoyed studying abroad with CEA. I took Thermodynamics for my major requirement and Photography as a humanities course. My thermo course was taught very well, and photography really allowed me to explore a lot of Rome. The excursions with the other courses that were going on (such as Art and Archeology) were open to people who weren't in the class, which again allowed people in the program to see parts of Rome that they might not have otherwise known about.

CEA set up a lot of great experiences / excursions for our program, all expenses paid, such as a pizza & gelato crawl, pasta making class, an overnight trip to Campania, and a day trip to Florence. These events helped me make the most of my time in Rome, and allowed me to get to know the people in my program better.

Justice
Concord, NC
Pfeiffer University

Best Semester Ever!

For my first study abroad semester, I made the right choice by choosing CEA. The staff was always available and always made our trips to enjoyable places. The academics provided fantastic culture experiences and we equally as challenging. My Italian professor Elda made every effort to emerge us into the Italian culture through hands on experiences as well as making sure we were understanding the language itself. Each of my professors made a huge effort of helping both inside and outside of class. Overall, CEA is a wonderful program.

Consider having a half Italian and half American apartments to help improve their Italian.

Jordan

Ciao!!

Cea Rome has been an amazing experience. The staff is super helpful when anything goes wrong in your apartment. They offer great recommendations on local places to eat, shop, and travel. The activities and trips they set up for you are fun and enjoyable. The give you enough free time on them to do your own thing, while providing good guidance for the "must see activities." Cea Rome is a big enough program that you're never alone, but also small enough that you can form friendly relationships with the kids in it. I enjoyed being able to bond with them and travel around Europe with them! CEA Rome has amazing housing that are located near the CEA center to make convenient when going to class. Overall I had a great experience with CEA Rome!

I believe the program can be improved by sending the dates of the planned activities out early before kids book their travel. It wasn't a huge issue, but would have been fun to go on some of the day trips that were planned on Saturdays.

Devon

A second home in Rome

CEA has provided me with everything I could possibly ask for and more in a study abroad experience. We all got amazing one on one assistance before and during traveling over seas, full-orientation with the school program and the city, amazing planned day/weekend trips, fun Italian activities throughout the semester and fantastic recommendations from the staff on any questions I had. Everything went smoothly within the program and after 4 short months, I can truly say that I have found my second home in Rome and have fallen in love with the city thanks to CEA. They provided us with apartments in the residential neighborhood of Prati that is close to the Vatican but easy enough to avoid tourists so I never felt like a visiter. The realtors of the apartments were also extremely helpful with any technical problems. Just to give an example of how great CEA is with their housing, our apartment was in and out of hot water for a few days so after fixing it, they sent my 5 roommates and I out to an amazing dinner! Of course there are always things that go wrong, however CEA always finds a way to fix them and make up for them!

Possibly making more organized syllabi for classes, because some guidelines and expectations were confusing. Other than that, I truly can't think of anything that I could have hoped were different!

Christine

Home is in Roma

Rome is an amazing city. The Italian culture takes a bit of getting used to, as there are a fair amount of social rules, but it is an amazing experience to learn and grow in a new place. The CEA staff are super helpful with the adjustment and with anything you need (Caterina literally helped me when I was trying to get my eyebrows done). This program was an amazing experience and I would definitely recommend.

Some of the professors are less than ideal and treat the program like more of a joke than the students. I would definitely have some checks in place to make sure they are actually doing something and not letting their students struggle for their own personal enjoyment.

Trumbull

Home Sweet Rome

I'm glad I decided to study abroad through CEA. They were more than helpful before coming abroad, when I asked them tons of questions. They placed us into a very spacious apartment - which I had not expected! The location was in a safe area and relatively close to lots of attractions. There is a strict attendance policy and they do allow for holidays, but they are made up on Fridays. The program did offer some included trips and classes, which were great. We had two trips that took us to the Campania region (Naples, Sorrento, Pompeii, Capri on the Amalfi Coast) and Florence. They provided transportation and a few meals. I also attended both the pasta making class and clay making class which were a fun time! I additionally recommend CEA because of the safety measures they took. They sent out a poll before each weekend asking if we were traveling outside of Rome. If answered yes, the poll proceeded to ask questions about flight information and where we were staying; so that in case something were to happen, they could reach us and make sure we were safe. I'm so beyond grateful for my experience and wish future study abroad students the best four months possible. Enjoy each second - it goes by too fast!

The attendance policy was a tad strict!

Kaylee
Hudson

Home Away From Home

Studying abroad in Rome is the best decision I could have made. The city itself has so much to offer such as amazing food, breathtaking architecture, and years of history on every street. There are many options for shopping and nightlife that is always fun! CEA has our school in a great location for study abroad students and I always felt comfortable in my spacious apartment. The professors and staff at CEA are really passionate and knowledgeable about not only their discipline, but also the city of Rome.

During finals week it would be beneficial to not have our other classes continuing as well. I also would have enjoyed a fall break as many other programs I know get one.

Cambridge, WI
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Romeing

I had an amazing semester studying abroad in Rome. Prati is a great neighborhood--tons of authentic restaurants and cafes to choose from, close to attractions and very very safe. CEA classes were very interactive with small class sizes and lots of on-site lectures. It was a great way to get to know the city better. It's cheap and easy to travel basically anywhere out of Rome--I highly recommend it!

The only thing I'd recommend is including some information on earthquake safety in the orientation. I had never felt an earthquake in my life and experienced 3 in my time here, and knowing a little more about what do in that type of situation would have eased my nerves a lot!

Ryan
Mansfield

Rome and Beyond

I was debating between several programs before eventually deciding on CEA in Rome. It was definitely the right decision. I stayed in a beautiful apartment with a view of the Vatican, my walk to school was short, and the academic building was a great learning environment. Classes are fun and immersive, especially because for a lot of them (like theology and photography) we go to sites around Rome. My friends and I loved experiencing Rome on our own and with school. The nightlife is fun and I always felt safe. One of the best aspects of being in Rome is that you're 30 minutes from the airport so it's easy to travel to other countries on the weekends. The staff is great, the city is fun, and it made for an amazing semester. Very happy I chose to come here.

Only thing I would say is maybe to give students a desk at their apartment. The building has a great room for studying but at night when you're home sometimes the kitchen table just isn't the best place to do work. Other than that, nothing!

Ellie
Greensboro, North Carolina
Greensboro College

Rome!

My experience in Rome was nothing short of magical. From the people, to the food, to the city itself, it is almost impossible to find a flaw in Rome. My transition into Rome was so easy due to CEA and I recommend their program to any student who is interested in studying abroad. CEA truly immerses you into whatever new environment you're studying abroad in, but they educate you and guide you in a way that does not limit your independence. For example, one of the many excursions I went on with CEA was a day trip to Florence. During the day we had a guided tour but after that the day was ours. We were able to separate as we pleased and some of us chose to go see the Leaning Tower of Pisa and then stay in Florence overnight before returning to Rome. That is another great perk of CEA, they provide great excursions. We not only went to Florence, we also went to Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri. It was so incredible being able to explore not just Rome but also other parts of Italy. The class I took during this time also helped me adjust to being in Italy. I studied the culture of food and wine and it was an exceptional experience being able to dine on such phenomenal dishes while also learning about their history. I could go on and on about all that I loved of my time in Rome with CEA. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via email!

Brian
New York

Great Experience

Awesome experience. Living in Rome was unforgettable and a great exposure to foreign culture. The staff was extremely friendly and easy to talk to. Traveling was easy being in central Europe and the country itself was remarkable. Great food too! I would definitely recommend this program as it was truly life changing. Honestly a great time. I was able to visit nine different countries and fifteen cities through Europe and Africa.

Less of a course load

Marco

CEA in Rome

All the staff at CEA Rome are so nice and truly care about the students. You can go to them with any question or problem you encounter, ranging from the best restaurants to bring you parents or what to do when the power goes out in your apartment, and they are always there to help. This has been such a great experience for me and I would highly recommend CEA Rome to anyone that is thinking about studying abroad in Rome.

Liz
Columbus, Ohio
Ohio Wesleyan University

CEA a Roma

I could not imagine a better program than CEA! The staff are extremely helpful, the living conditions are in a beautiful neighborhood, the classes are engaging and hands-on, the professors are knowledgable and passionate, and the program activities and excursions are incredibly fun. Everyone involved in the program will do anything to make your experience as positive as possible. I couldn't have had a better semester and would do it all over again if I could!

Alley
Rome, Italy

CEA in Rome Truly Caters to Needs of Students

The CEA in Rome program is one that truly nurtures and caters to the needs of students. Being a smaller sized program allows students to really get to know professors and faculty in a way that helps them feel supported, encouraged, and provides a comfortable, safe, and fun learning environment. One of the best things CEA in Rome provides is weekend trips! We went to Assisi, Florence, and Venice. Going on these beautiful and educational trips as a whole program allowed me to really get to know different cities in Italy, their culture, and also get to know and become friends with people in my program! This experience was one of the best of my life!

One thing lacking in this program that I think is really important is cultural immersion. The fact that only American students are a part of the CEA program makes cultural immersion difficult, but social activities like the cooking and clay making class really helped me get to know local Italians, and I would have really enjoyed more events like that. I think that both American students and local Italians would benefit from some sort of integrative programs. Having the opportunity to tutor local students in english, or having more (weekly?) programs like cooking classes or some other social programming would really help this program to be more inclusive.

Kathryn
Ann Arbor, MI

When in Rome

I had an excellent experience in Rome! CEA makes the city feel a little smaller; you are a part of a strong community within a big city. I immediately fell in love with Rome. Besides the great food and sightseeing, the Italian culture is amazing to be a part of. CEA was easy to contact incase of any problems and they offered many activities and excursions to help enhance the experience. I would highly recommend anyone studying abroad to consider Rome, especially the CEA program here.

Grace
Tucson, Arizona
University of Arizona

There's No Place Like ROME!

I first traveled to Rome in 2009 on a high school trip, and I knew immediately that I would have to return one day. I finally got that opportunity in summer 2015 after making the decision to study abroad there. It was a dream come true.
Rome is a huge, vibrant city that is full of history, amazing sights, and incredible food. When I wasn't in class, all I did was eat endless amounts of pasta, pizza and gelato.
I loved my apartment, which was about a 10-minute walk from Vatican City. One of my favorite memories from Rome is waking up at 5am with my roommates to be the first in line for the Vatican Museums, then seeing Pope Francis speak in St. Peter's Square!
The CEA staff organized some wonderful day/weekend trips that really added to the experience. We went to Florence for a day, but my roommates and I turned it into a weekend trip so that we could go wine tasting! The other weekend trip was to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. That was incredible.
There really is no place like Rome, and I truly believe that those who have never been there are missing out!

Miguel

When In ROME..

Pizza, soccer, gelato (ice cream), history, wine, coffee, croissants, art, and The Pope are a few of the many things you will enjoy about this eternal city! You will NEVER be bored in Rome! If you can imagine Rome to be beautiful by the few things you see in the movies then be ready to fall in love with the other majestic parts about the city that the movies do not show! The food is irresistible (and inexpensive), there are two soccer teams that share the same stadium, and you will meet friendly people who are willing to share their love for the Italian capital. No matter your major, language, or interests, you are bound to fall in love with Rome for everything that it has to offer!

Access to a library that does not close early and a gym!!

Claire
Providence, Rhode Island

My time with CEA

My semester abroad was the best 3 months of my life. I have realized that even more now that I am home looking back on my experience. The staff and faculty of CEA were some of the friendliest most compassionate people I have ever meant. I feel with the staff and the students that I went abroad that by the end of our time there we created a family in a sense. I traveled to so many places that I don't know when or if I'll ever be able to go back to again. Rome became home for me and it felt and still feels like a dream.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Carroll University

Best Semester Ever

This was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I had a wonderful time and made many friends. I was also able to 8 other countries while studying in Rome. One of the most beautiful places in the city was the Trevi fountain. I would often go there super late at night when there weren't many people and just sit on the steps it was so relaxing. CEA also planned these great trips but the best one was the Pompeii, Capri, and Sorrento trip it was so beautiful. That was one of my favorite trips. The boat ride around the Island was the best the whole boat would bust out in to song and our tour guide was great. Also I captured the best picture when we were on the boat tour of four guys in my program doing a back flip of the boat. If I could go back in time I would always choose this program it was amazing plus it had amazing staff they were the best. Rome is one of the most beautiful places with all the old Ruins and the beautiful architecture. Plus the gelato was to die for American gelato does not compare at all.

One thing that I would change about this program would be to add more classes.

Ashley
El Cerrito, CA
University of Arizona

Eat and See Italy

CEA Rome is a fabulous way to see this beautiful city.

The staff is welcoming and fun to be around. Helpful with anything from shopping locations, to translations, to helping us find an English-speaking movie theater!

The classes are interesting and feature a large amount of field trips throughout Rome. I took two classes over a summer, Food and Wine of Italy and Italian Art History. Whoa! The teachers made the classes to relevant and interesting. Food and Wine was spectacular, we studied different regions of Italy as well as the history. Our teacher, Greg, was so knowledgable and we had a Italian chef, Claudia, who came into class and cooked for us and taught us the true Italian flavors and cooking methods. Art History is a class not to be missed! We spent our days wandering around churches and museums. Learning about artists, history, and the city that we called home.

Our apartment was fabulous - 6 girls, three bedrooms, 2 (large) bathrooms, and a balcony. Truly the Italian experience. We were in North-East Rome in a little neighborhood with everything we needed - gelato, pizza, markets, parks, and public transportation.

The program provided trips and experiences were perfect! We had one day trip up to Florence and an overnight trip to Capri, Pompeii, and Campania. Both trips were perfectly planned, and featured enough time for us to explore on our own as well as time with the whole group. Sailing around Capri on a boat with our whole group was the highlight of the whole trip! We also has various activities that we could participate in while we were in Rome. A pizza and gelato crawl was a big highlight! We also had a walking tour of Rome our first weekend, a chance to volunteer at a local food bank, an Italian cooking class, a chance to visit the top of St. Peter's Basilica, and more more!

Overall, CEA Study Abroad in Rome is worth it! Great experiences, food, and friends!

I wish the apartments were closer together - we were a little spread out!

Annie

Choose CEA Rome!

I truly had the time of my life studying in Rome! CEA Rome is located in the beautiful, safe, and mostly residential neighborhood of Piazza Bologna. My apartment was about an 8 minute walk to the campus and I could easily hop on the bus or the metro to get into the city center (The Colosseum was only about 10 minutes away from my apartment on the metro!). Classes are taught by extremely knowledgeable professors and most classes are taught on-site at museums or historical sites. While I may not have spent my time in Rome doing a great deal of homework, I learned more about the culture and long history of Rome and Italy than I ever could have at my home university. Some of my favorite classes were "The Culture of Food and Wine in Italy" and "Art and Archaeology of Ancient Rome." You'll live in real apartment buildings in an apartment with other American students, but the other residents of the building will be real Italian people, which is a very cool element to the program too! The CEA Rome staff are wonderful people who will go out of their way to help you out with anything you need! All in all, choose CEA Roma!!!

More language immersion! Maybe a homestay option?

With 20 destinations across 11 countries, CEA Study Abroad offers an ideal balance of academics, internships, and adventure to more than 4,000 students each year. Find out where learning abroad can take you by clicking the “Visit Site” button and exploring our many options.

Why