USAC Japan: Hiroshima, Nagasaki & Osake/Kobe

USAC Japan: Hiroshima, Nagasaki & Osake/Kobe

USAC offers exciting study abroad programs in three Japanese locations: Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and Osaka/Kobe. Each location has unique aspects that should be considered by those looking to study in Japan.

Study in the energetic city of Hiroshima at Hiroshima University in such fields as Japanese language, Business, Sciences, Economics, Culture and more.

Those who wish to study in Osaka/Kobe will be studying at Kwansei Gakuin University with courses focusing on Japan and East Asian Studies. A summer option is also offered at Kwansei Gakuin University.

The third location includes coursework held at Nagasaki University of Foreign Studies, and is geared towards Japanese Language, Society, and Culture Studies.

Want to hear more about all three options? Then what are you waiting for? Consult the USAC website right now!

• Live in Nishinomiya, between culturally rich Osaka and Kobe in central Japan. In Nagasaki, live in a beautiful harbor city with a semitropical climate. Live in energetic Hiroshima with excellent shopping, theaters, and restaurants.
  • Enjoy and learn on a relaxing campus setting surrounded by beautiful scenery
  • Practice Japanese and make a friend with a Japanese conversation partner, who will help you adjust to your new home and introduce you to Japanese culture
Asia » Japan » Nagasaki

Nicole
Nagasaki, Japan
Michigan Technological University

Nagasaki-The First Foreign Influence

I would highly recommend this program for those who want something off the beaten path. Nagasaki is full of history, as the first port where foreigners first entered and where confined to helped to shape what it is today. There are so many historical sites around the area such as Dejima, the Dutch Island, Glover Garden; a colonial village where some foreigners lived, Chinatown, and much more. Because of the foreign influence, it also has some delicious food that is famous to the area!!

My favorite part was that since you rarely see any tourists besides your fellow students, you get more interaction with locals. Many locals were interested in talking to me when I was walking around or at the bus stop to ask what I was doing there since they don't see too many tourists there, and that was one of my favorite parts. Not as many people spoke English as you would see in bigger cities in Japan, but people were still friendly and you could communicate in broken English and Japanese.

The bus system around town does not have any English translations on the buses or schedules so you have to try to read the kanji or ask the bus driver where it goes, but I feel it is more authentic that way! During orientation they will tell you what kanji to look for if you want to go to certain places.

I felt the academics weren't challenging enough and really easy. I do come from a more rigorous school and major so I felt that way, but I know some students felt that some of the classes had a lot of work and were challenging so it depends on what you are used to at your home university.

I did a homestay which I HIGHLY recommend. I got to eat some of the best meals of my life that my host mom prepared and got to help with some of it. These were also meals you can't find at any restaurant. I also got to go on trips around Kyushu with my host family and got to do things most students weren't able to since we went to places that a lot of them didn't know about or that were hard to get to with public transportation. All of my fondest memories were with my host family.

Nagasaki is very beautiful but it is harder to travel to neighboring areas due to all the mountains and the public transportation system is not as developed as it is in other areas of Japan, so if you are looking for a location as a travel base I would recommend the other locations that are offered, but if you are looking for something authentic where you can immerse in the culture I would definitely recommend this program!

Robert
Reno, Nevada
University of Nevada Reno

A Place to Master a Language and Love a New Culture

I had chosen the USAC Hiroshima program because I heard that Hiroshima University is not only one of the best Universities in Japan but that it also has a very strong Japanese language program. In addition to that, but since Saijo is such a rural town, it is a great place to study as the English proficiency of the locals is about the same as the Japanese language proficiency of those who live in Nevada... Pretty much non-existent! So be sure to learn some Japanese or at least the alphabet so you can have a head start in the language when you arrive.
The housing is nothing special, it can feel a bit gross at times, but if taken with a grain of salt one can remember that the reason they came to this program is not for the housing but for the immersion into the local populace and the mastery of a second language. With the incredible affordability of the dorms and the state it’s in, you will only use it for a bed, shower, and food and spend most of your days out with friends and the local people.
Other than that, the festival in Kure or the Sake Festival in Saijo are just a taste of all the great things you can do to become a part of the cultural experience and traditions of Japan. Luckily, living in Hiroshima, you are so close to other great landmarks such as Miyajima or Matsuyama that there is no excuse not to explore a little bit. Even during holidays there is a ticket you can buy for the trains for traveling long distances, as for which I used to go to Kyoto.
Japan is an incredibly safe country; there is not much concern of crime. I actually lost my newly bought Ipod on the bus and got it back within a week or so. I’m positive that is a level of safety and kindness that is rarely found in the cities.
Overall, if you are interested in becoming fluent and what to experience as much of the culture as possible without being broken by housing costs, this is the same program that I have recommended to my friends and family as well as I am recommending to you as the reader. The only thing I would have re-done is instead of a semester I would have spent a year in Hiroshima. But then again, I don’t think a year would have been enough for me either because the experience is just that amazing.

I would want the housing that is selected for the USAC students to be in the nicer Ikenoue housing. It definitely was a bit of a shocker and it took a while to get used to. My toilet had mold over parts of it, so it was a tad unsettling as well.

Lunalily
Reno, Nevada
University of Nevada

Hiroshima - land of history

The location wasn't where I thought it would be, Hiroshima University is actually located in Saijo, about 30 mins outside of Hiroshima - so that took a little getting used to. But it was better in the long run - more country, more traditional, and known for its Sake! It's a small city, so don't expect city life like Tokyo.

The program was pretty good, lots of opportunities, and they were very accommodating - I even took judo, which was run by a world champ, and ended up scaring me to death! But I would do it again. The Japanese classes also taught me a lot - in one year I went from being able to say "I like to swim" to "The travel company furnished us with all the details of the tour."
The living accommodations that were available during my experience did not include homestays(we lived in dorms, super cheap, great way to meet students, but small!), but the program did provide a few short homestays that were probably some of the most valuable experiences for me learning about Japan and its language. I was very grateful for them providing these. However, if I were to do it again, I would make sure I lived with a family - even though you don't have as much freedom, you really learn so much more, and much faster this way.

It's a great location being in the middle of the Island - you can easily get to Tokyo, Kyoto, and Fukushima, and if you wanted Okinawa or Hokkaido. Hiroshima city itself is huge - It has a great Castle, tons of shopping, and the A-Bomb museum. This Museum really teaches you about the importance of Peace, and what the Japanese people went through. No matter where you are in Japan, you have to visit this museum. And the program employees will do as much as they can helping you with travel plans!

USAC is a non-profit organization made up of 33 U.S. member universities that has provided quality and affordable study abroad programs for over 30 years. USAC currently offers over 50 programs in 27 countries and provides a broad spectrum of assistance with housing, visa assistance,