ISA Study Abroad in Amman, Jordan

By ISA (International Studies Abroad)   Reviews (3)   97% Rating

Amman is a millennia-old Middle Eastern metropolis built on a series of hills and valleys. Steeped in history, Amman boasts many historical monuments, such as the Roman Amphitheater, Herculean Temple, and Umayyad Mosque. As the capital of Jordan, the city is a hub for culture, education, business, and tourism

ISA Amman offers programs at two prestigious universities: the University of Jordan and Princess Sumaya University for Technology. The University of Jordan offers various levels of Modern Standard Arabic, along with Middle Eastern studies courses instructed in English. It is important to note that Arabic language courses in Amman are modular, and students can progress through two Arabic courses during the course of the semester. At Princess Sumaya University for Technology, students can enroll in Business, Engineering, and Information Technology courses. The courses are taught in English, and instructed by highly qualified and highly sought after faculty and professors.

Asia › Jordan › Amman

Lincoln, NE
University of Nebraska- Lincoln

DM Amman, Jordan Summer Program

Overall 10

My experience in Amman, Jordan was unforgettable! ISA was incredibly reliable and supportive through every step of the study abroad process. From the daunting pre-departure tasks to finally arriving and getting acclimated in the culture and studies, ISA helped me every step of the way. Although I was studying in a place as unique as Amman, I never felt in the dark or worried about my safety while abroad. The on-site staff and resident director for ISA was so helpful and reliable. I would recommend any program ISA has to offer to anyone looking for an affordable, reliable, and amazing study abroad experience.

Kayla
Daytona Beach, FL
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Best summer of my life!

Overall 10

I spent this past summer living in Amman, Jordan, and I can say without a doubt it was the most life-changing summer I will ever have. Before going to Jordan, I did not know anything whatsoever about life in the Middle East. I had the common misconceptions that many Americans hold. But after living in Jordan and being completely immersed in the culture, I have gained so much respect for people of the Arab/Muslim culture, that I pass it on to everyone who will listen to me in America. I would have never been able to learn any of the things I experienced from a textbook. The best part of the trip was the people I met. I learned about a completely new perspective on life. The people in Jordan were the most helpful people I have ever met. Everyone was very patient with my group and was willing to help us with our Arabic or finding things if we were lost. Before going, I was a little concerned about my safety. I will tell anyone that I felt 100 percent safe in Jordan, and although there are some things that differ from American culture, it was still a very safe and welcoming environment. I learned how America is perceived in a global context without the spin of any media. I heard things from real people and learned through their experiences. I have become much more involved with world issues and have became proactive in making my friends, family, and classmates more knowledgable. I studied Arabic and US Foreign Policy in the Middle East. Both classes were taught extremely well by great staff who really knew how to teach in a way foreign students could understand. The program would not have been what it was without the amazing staff. Our program director, Mohammed Naser, was the most helpful and guiding person that there could have been. He made my group feel safe in every situation and he was very knowledgable about any and all questions we asked. There was never a situation where he was not the first to help and he could be reached at any time no matter what time of the day it was. I would gladly recommend this program to anyone who is thinking about it and I would love to visit Jordan again!

The only thing I would have liked to see is more time on weekend excursions. I am aware that my time was limited in Jordan so I am very grateful for all that I got to see. Mohammed, our director, planned and accompanied our group on amazing trips all over Jordan to places like Petra, Wadi Rum, the Dead Sea, Aqaba, Syrian refugee camps, Jerash, and many more. These places were amazing and I would have loved to have gotten to spend a little more time at each one.

Carmen
Louisville
University of Louisville

Great Summer Experience!

Overall 9

I had a wonderful time during my time in Amman in the summer 2012 Middle East Studies program with ISA and would highly recommend it to anyone! The ISA staff is extremely supportive and they do an excellent job of helping you familiarize with the city when you first arrive and showing you where a lot of the great places to eat and socialize are. I have been abroad several times and while I think the educational aspect is important, the support of the staff is what will really make or break your experience, and I was thrilled with how smoothly my excursions were to places like the Dead Sea. Amman is a very culturally rich city and very welcoming to visitors as long as you are ready to embrace something new, and anytime I looked confused for more than a few seconds in a store or restaurant someone who could speak both Arabic and English would come assist me. Only two things I would recommend that wouldn't be obvious to someone who hasn't been there: BRING PLENTY OF CASH! I had came prepared to put at least half of my expenses on a credit card only to learn that almost no businesses take credit cards (including McDonald's even). Also, be prepared to spend money on cabs, and if you are going to use cabs make sure you give yourself plenty of time in advance to catch them and travel to your destination timely. Otherwise just be mindful of the usual advice regarding respecting the local culture and you'll have a wonderful time!

As a leader in international education for over twenty-five years, ISA is dedicated to providing university level students with the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education abroad programs across Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, Middle East and the Pacific. Our worldwide team continuously seeks to provide high-quality experiences for university students at an affordable price. Each year thousands of students participate in ISA programs, including; ISA Custom Programs, Service-Learning & Internships, Veritas Christian Study Abroad, EuroScholars undergraduate research, Degrees Abroad and ISA High School. ISA distinguishes itself by maintaining its commitment to each individual student and its comprehensive on-site support offered through resident staff in nearly seventy-five program locations around the world.