View Other Details
Your home is the spectacular and affordable Yucatán Peninsula – a region filled with incredible biodiversity, ancient artifacts, and a strong cultural legacy all set against 250 days of sunshine per year!
From its hundreds of Mayan ruins and colonial architecture to its exceptional food and bustling city life, the Yucatán is a complex hub of ancient and modern culture.
Courses are available in English and Spanish.
- CIEE Yucatán is conveniently located in the heart of Mérida, near cultural attractions, transportation, shopping, and dining.
- Explore the ruins of Chichén Itzá – perhaps the most famous pre-Columbian site built by the Maya and one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
- Tour the world-class science facilities of Yucatán’s Technological and Scientific Park, home to seed banks, botanical gardens, and more.
- Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer.
- Do the Yucatán on your own terms by customizing your experience through the Open Campus program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks, select your academic track from six options, then choose your courses from a wide range of subject areas.
Your home base is Mérida – a beautiful, historic, colonial city centrally located on the Yucatán Peninsula and just 20 minutes from the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
In less than a two-hour drive one can discover biodiverse nature reserves, UNESCO archaeological sites, and historic towns where you lunch alongside locals while working on your Spanish language proficiency. Researchers and students are in good company, as Mérida hosts more than a dozen universities and several national research facilities.
January in Yucatán is the perfect place to begin your Spanish language proficiency and discover the ancient Mayan culture.
CIEE Scholarships and Grants
CIEE’s need-based grants offer support to students who face financial barriers to studying abroad. CIEE awards need-based grants based on students’ EFCs and program selection. The Gilman Go Global Grant offers students $750-$2,000 toward airfare, plus $2,500 toward semester program costs, or $1,000 toward summer program costs.