• Mexico
    • Yucatan
Term
Fall, J-Term, Spring, Summer
Accounting Anthropology Architecture Arts Biology Communications Computer Science Cultural Studies Economics Entrepreneurship History Humanities International Business Journalism Liberal Arts Marketing Philosophy Public Relations Service Learning +9

Program Details

Dormitory Host Family

Pricing

You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE! Our high-quality programs include tuition, housing, on-site airport pick-up, field trips and cultural activities, 24/7 on-site professional staff, and automatic iNext insurance. There are no hidden charges or surprises when you arrive, and scholarships opportunities are available!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Classes Some Meals Travel Insurance
Apr 20, 2021
Mar 09, 2020
0 travelers are looking at this program

Your home is the spectacular and affordable Yucatán Peninsula – a region filled with incredible biodiversity, ancient artifacts, and a strong cultural legacy all set against 250 days of sunshine per year!

From its hundreds of Mayan ruins and colonial architecture to its exceptional food and bustling city life, the Yucatán is a complex hub of ancient and modern culture.

Program Highlights

• CIEE Yucatán is conveniently located in the heart of Mérida, near cultural attractions, transportation, shopping, and dining.
  • Explore the ruins of Chichén Itzá – perhaps the most famous pre-Columbian site built by the Maya and one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
  • Tour the world-class science facilities of Yucatán’s Technological and Scientific Park, home to seed banks, botanical gardens, and more.
  • Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer.
  • Do the Yucatán on your own terms by customizing your experience through the Open Campus program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks, select your academic track from six options, then choose your courses from a wide range of subject areas.

Popular Programs

CIEE Yucatán Summer Program

Your home base is Mérida – a beautiful, historic, colonial city centrally located on the Yucatán Peninsula and just 20 minutes from the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

CIEE Yucatán Semester Program

In less than a two-hour drive one can discover biodiverse nature reserves, UNESCO archaeological sites, and historic towns where you lunch alongside locals while working on your Spanish language proficiency. Researchers and students are in good company, as Mérida hosts more than a dozen universities and several national research facilities.

CIEE Yucatán January Program

January in Yucatán is the perfect place to begin your Spanish language proficiency and discover the ancient Mayan culture.

CIEE

CIEE Scholarships and Grants

CIEE’s need-based grants offer support to students who face financial barriers to studying abroad. CIEE awards need-based grants based on students’ EFCs and program selection. The Gilman Go Global Grant offers students $750-$2,000 toward airfare, plus $2,500 toward semester program costs, or $1,000 toward summer program costs.

$500 - $2,500

• 9-10 rating 66.67%
  • 7-8 rating 33.33%
Jizelle

J-term

I had a great time! The on-site staff was very friendly and available. I did find however, that the off-site staff for CIEE was not very responsive or helpful and often did not supply us (as in students and host families) with reliable information. There needs to be serious improvement of organization. If you like pre-scheduled groups trips, this would be the program for you. We had at least one planned activity a week, so that was nice. Also, though they don't technically include lunch within the program cost, the food in Merida was amazing and very cheap.

Communication to students and host families was very poor.
Rebecca

January in Yucatán

I really enjoyed my time in Mexico with CIEE. The program provided a lot of support and allowed me to improve my Spanish while also providing opportunities to explore the city and go to cultural events. The city is in a great location and allowed me to travel some as well. CIEE’s class allowed me to learn more about local, colloquial Spanish sayings. I would highly recommend this program for anyone who was looking to improve their Spanish and learn more about the culture that they were studying in.

I would want the program to offer a higher level of Spanish.
Isaiah

January in Merida

Ciee Yucatan is based in Merida which is an incredible city. There are cultural events in the centro every weekend and during the week there are so many museums and things to see in the city. I constantly felt like I had something to do. I also felt completely safe in the city and would love to go back. It is in close proximity to many Mayan Ruins and there is an awesome beach named Progreso forty minutes from the city. I loved my experience and am so thankful to ciee for such a great experience. The staff was incredible at Yucatan and my host family was amazing. I can’t wait to go back!

A Spanish advanced class would be awesome. With that being said, I learned a lot in the intermediate course offered.