Politics, Law & International Relations in Europe

Human rights, democracy and the rule of law are at the core values of the European Union (EU). No other region has displayed similar willingness to give up important parts of national sovereignty in pursuit of peace and stability, and economic and social justice. Yet in the wake of the European debt crisis and the rise of Euro-scepticism, the future of the EU is far from certain. International relations and human rights issues are fundamental to current challenges facing the Union, as exemplified by the EU’s ongoing refugee crisis. In a world of converging cultures and different political and legal systems, European Politics, Law & International Relations students explore how policy-makers negotiate between member states with a wide range of different nationalities, languages and agendas.

Your adventure begins with a study trip to Berlin. Besides that, there are two cultural weekends included too: 'If it ain't Dutch it ain't much' and 'A taste of Paris'.

• Join several field trips to gain first-hand insights.
  • Choose courses that meet your interest from over 350 courses offered.
  • Start the programme with a trip to Berlin.

Corbin

Life changing

Maastricht is the best place to study. It is not a huge city but a great college town where you will never run out of things to do. The CES staff here will end up becoming your family. They want the best for you and will go above and beyond to make sure you feel like home. The academics are so unique because it is a different learning style so you meet lots of other international students but also have class in small groups and you discuss the whole time. The housing is amazing as well, you feel so safe here and everything is taken care of for you so there is no worrying about finding a place to stay! Overall Maastricht is the best university in my eyes and it has changed my life for the better.

No improvements
Rebecca

My CES Experience

Study abroad has been amazing so far. I've been able to travel, take challenging courses, and also join volunteer projects in my free time.

This block, I took a course on EU law and politics and learned about the history of the EU; additionally, I took a course of public policy evaluation. I enjoyed both classes, because I was able to engage with Dutch and German students through my tutorial by doing group projects and presentations, which enabled me to learn about Europe on a whole new level.

The CES staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. My advisor has continued to help me find classes I am interested in, and other staff members have helped give me advice on things to do and places to visit.

Devin

Maastricht University IR Fall Abroad

Global perspective, traveling the world, international studies. These are the some of the main reasons we choose to study abroad, and my time here in Maastricht has been an amazing experience that went far beyond these initial goals.

The Politics, Law & International Relations in Europe program has you take courses where you work through problems and global issues in a team. Proposing possible areas of growth and global cooperation. Be ready for a lot of reading and essays. The courses are challenging and a lot of work, but its manageable.

The CES staff are the most helpful and outgoing advisors I have ever had in college. The CES’s passion and energy enriches the study abroad experience and their focus on helping students makes this program an amazing experience.

The ability to go out of my comfort zone and be able to actually see and experience the world has been an important point of personal growth for me. The local connections I've made, the cultures I've been able to celebrate and be a part of have enriched my time here as a student and made the courses feel more important and relatable.

The support for the program covers a lot of the issues I've faced here, and the CES trips were a great part of my time studying abroad.
Nicholas

Home Away from Home

The CES Staff was extremely helpful. Whenever I had a problem or question, they were quick to help. They made the transition to living abroad very easy. The CES staff made Maastricht home away from home for me. My study abroad experience has been challenging but enlightening. I have learned a lot more about myself, but also my capabilities of being independent. This experience has changed my life completely.

More encouraged interaction with non-CES students.
Molly

CES Maastricht

A once in a lifetime experience that allows an expansion of prior knowledge combined with a diverse student and staff centered in the heart of Political Europe.

A globally diverse staff that genuinely cares and invests in their students and the experience they have while abroad.

Life changing opportunity, do it!! I've had so much fun here and the people are amazing, both the students and professors as well as the local people.

About CES Maastricht University

Maastricht University (UM), the most international university in the Netherlands, stands out for its innovative approach to learning and international outlook. With almost 16,000 students and 4,000 staff, UM offers a wide choice of academic...