Summer Program in European Studies

Days in Maastricht
Days in Maastricht
Me at the European Parliament
Me at the European Parliament

Get ready for the best summer ever! The six-week Summer Program in European Studies (SES) is designed for adventurous students looking for an authentic European study experience while earning credits towards their major. Choose from a variety of courses or study tours taught in English at Maastricht University, one of the highest-ranking universities in the Netherlands. Course topics fit most majors and have a distinct European or international theme.

The SES program also offers an exceptional multiple-day study tour where students discover the EU first hand. The study tour takes students to significant organisations, companies and cultural sites that are often unavailable to the casual tourist.

• Join several study trips and discover Europe;
  • Make life-long friends from around the globe;
  • Spend six weeks living and studying in the birthplace of the European Union;
  • Your programme coordinators are 24/7 available in case of emergencies.

Yi

CES Maastricht

The academic course of CES Maastricht really lets me learn professional and useful academic knowledge, which will be undoubtedly helpful for my future study and career.
At the same time, the free time and the field trips of the courses also lend me a golden chance to explore a real Europe by my self instead of just listening to hearsay and experience local culture and life style as well. Honestly speaking, it's really treasury memories for me.

The staff really give me a lot of help before and during the course.
They actually form my first impression of Masstricht, which is warmth, kindness and politeness and serious time awareness.

The course actually lets me find that my intercultual communication skills need to be further developed.
I may try to develop Problem Based Thinking in the future.

Zhixuan

I spent my summer in Maastricht and...

My summer academic programme in the UM includes the Western Europe study tour and International Business class. Both of them are packed with experience and knowledge by traveling around Frankfurt, Paris, London and learning in colloquial room with classmates from all over the world!

The CES staff are very passionate, caring and reliable. Students can always easily get reach to them whenever something comes up! You can consult them about any study problems or personal issues, they are always there for you!

Studying abroad this summer in the UM has taught me how to communicate with an international group of students throughout a group project. It is also a whole new experience to explore and live in an exotic city with new friends for six weeks!

Yixuan

REVIEW of CES summer program

Maastricht University uses a special teaching technology called PBL,problem-based learning, which is different from Chinese traditional teaching method, and though this method, we can better participate in the class and have deeper communication with professor and classmates.
I the only Chinese student in my course and I don’t have any background knowledge, it is OK to understand, the professor takes care of me.

They are really nice and friendly, especially Zen and Tom.
Every time I have questions I emailed them, and they will perfectly solve my problem.

It was my first time studying abroad and I think it is an unforgettable experience for me. Actually, something unfortunate happened to me, I lost a huge amount of money, but through this experience, I think I grew up a lot.

Farnoush

my personal honest review

Summary of my academic program: An exhilarating trip where you can meet new friends and take cool classes that maybe doesn’t exist in your home country like positive psychology! You learn more about yourself and grow and travel and learn what it's like being in a different social circle in a totally different culture
CES staff: The CES staff are the most helpful and most organized people you’ll probably meet in a program! They were able to book a last minute taxi and help me and my friends catch a flight in Brussels to Italy. Go to them with any and all questions you may have
Reflection on study abroad: I learned more about myself. Pushed myself more than I probably ever had but also learned to be easygoing and surround myself with people that fit that personality. And it took some time, but I found my niche and I grew accustomed to the culture and everyday I bike around and see something familiar and people smiling it made me happy. Overall one of the best experiences of my life!

Nothing to improve about the improve about the program, but be aware there are precautionary alarms every Sunday and you should not be worried.
Xuanyue

recommend this program

I am glad to have chosen University of Maastricht CES for the study program and will strongly recommend it to my home university. The CES program will provide you with well-designed academic courses as well as the various after-school activities. The Dutch art history in the first session is my favourite. The excursion trip is definitely the highlight and really rewarding. The professor will bring you to the museums in Hague as well as the local ones. Professor de Groot is really interesting and patient. It was a wonderful experience to attend his classes. Besides that, the overall arrangement of the CES program is reasonable. You will be able to travel around Europe at weekends. That will be an experience you might not have in other summer programs.

Ruijie

Academic program

This summer school program of Maastricht University gives students a chance to study subjects that are different from the home university and also give us a chance to get in touch with different people. they are group of people who are very kind and approachable, always there to help you out when you have any kinds of problems. They are also the group of people that you will meet first when you first arrive at this city. Studying abroad is much harder than I think and I have to spend a lot of time studying, but I have to say it’s really worth it. I met very friendly classmates who come from America, and lovely old people in this beautiful Maastricht city. At a sunny sunday afternoon, it's very relaxed to have a large cup of coffee at the central square.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Abusolutely cheese, there are soooo many kinds of cheese in Holland! there are also so many flavours which is so amazing.
Yexin

Academic program, CES staff, Studying Abroad

Studying in UM is really fun! I’ve really learnt a lot. Working with my group mates, communicating, figuring out what we all are interested in, and finally finishing the task together is the best memory I have:D I attend the Western Europe Study Tour and the International Business course for the summer program.
CES staffs are all nice and sweet people. I have been to the Netherlands for the first time, and they are always ready to help me and talk to me whenever I have a problem. LOVE them!!!!
This program is really great and exciting. I love Maastricht, and it’s a unique chance to experience the different and wonderful culture. People here are so warm-hearted!!!!!
It is such a great time with everyone here and I wish can become an ambassador of UM one day and even come back for further study!!!

Reagan

CES Maastricht

Being enrolled in International Business: Transatlantic Trade & Investments has opened my eyes to the complexity behind the goods we see and use everyday. It is a perfect picture of cultural exchange, international cooperation, globalization, and how markets behave across many borders. I’m so thankful for my time in this class!

The CES staff is so friendly, helpful, and always available for any question or need you may have. They truly care for your success and make Maastricht feel more like a home!

My experience on the Western Europe Study Tour and in Maastricht has taught me so much about myself while simultaneously teaching me about Dutch culture and European institutions. Thanks to my time at CES, I have become more flexible and culturally sensitive.

Take advantage of longer weekends and explore the surrounding areas and countries!!
Elizabeth

Summer 2019 at CES Maastricht

My academic program at CES Maastricht has consisted of laughs, engaging conversations from people from nations all across the globe, and wonderful friendships I will cherish forever. Here I have been pushed to consider the global impacts of the US economy and learn more about cultures much different than my own, thus allowing me to become a more well-rounded student and friend. My relationship with the CES staff has honestly been one of my favorite aspects of this program and something I truly believe sets CES apart from all other study abroad programs. They have answered my questions and spent valuable time getting to know the real me and for that I could not be more thankful. Overall, study abroad for me has been a season of stepping outside of my comfort zone to experience cultures, foods, and lifestyles very different from the life I know at home. Here at CES I was encouraged to explore on my own, ask questions, and fully indulge my curiosities which has made me a more confident person, traveler, and student.

Jordan

Maastricht University CES Review

One of the biggest things about the teaching style that has helped me in the CES program is learning and exchanging different philosophies between different cultures and ways of life through group projects, leisure time, and travel. Coming together, we learn to communicate and set aside our own cultural biases.

The CES staff is very accommodating and understanding. When things go wrong and it hits the fan, they will work with students to make sure they are okay and taken care of.

The biggest thing that I have learned through working with other students is to take your time and relax. Among other things, i’ve learned how to interact with complete strangers through a language barrier, how to (somewhat) live with many people in a shared space, and bond over a nice cold beer.

One of the biggest things I could recommend is have a plan in advance about the things you want to see/do. Additionally, interact with the "foreign" students. It's interesting to hear about what life is like back home for them, and one of the best ways to get to know their culture is through food! So if possible, exchange a cooked meal with them.
Haley

Summer in Maastricht!

Last summer, I studied in Maastricht for six weeks through the Center for European studies. It was such an amazing six weeks filled with great experiences and adventures with new friends that I honestly will never forget. Apart from Maastricht itself being an amazing place to study in for the summer, the people I met and courses I took contributed to the unforgettable experience I had while studying here.

The CES staff were very helpful throughout my time in Maastricht, they constantly were willing to provide support for students and made it apparent that they were available to assist no matter how small the question. It was great to know that the staff was so supportive and readily available to assist students with their needs!

One of my favorite things about studying abroad were the courses, especially the way in which they were taught. I loved how the class sizes were much smaller and focused on problem-based learning rather than how they are in America, which focuses on lecturing at students. The two summer courses I took transferred back to my home university without any problems, which is always a plus!

Another great thing about Maastricht is that traveling is incredibly easy because the city is centrally located. Within an hour by train, you can be in Germany or Belgium! There are multiple easy to get to airports if you are also looking to travel a little bit farther away. Throughout my six weeks, I definitely took advantage of Maastricht’s central location and traveled all throughout Europe.

Yuewen

Experience the world in Maastricht

This program helps me develop a view of the world in which you can experience things you have never expected before.
In the Western Europe study tour, I had a deep insight in to the culture and political aspect of the Europe that is so different from my country, while in the leadership and management course, I learned about what is a leader as well as who am I.
In this course, I explore the world with my own eyes and measure it with my own feet.
I also develop a sense of myself and build up my mental map for my inner world, which can navigate me in my lifetime.
The staff here are very kind and warmhearted. We talked about our own experiences and there is no distance between staff and students, which makes me feel like we are friends.
It is a trip rather than courses to see the world in another way that which is new and unique. I can feel the international atmosphere and develop my own personality during this program.

I think that air conditioner or fans are expected to be installed in the guesthouse.
Sharon

CES Summer Program

The program was not only an opportunity to learn about the culture in Maastricht but also to interact with students around the world and to learn about their cultures as well. I love how the classes are so interactive because it helps you to come out of your comfort zone to express your opinions and to also learn about topics from different global perspectives.

The CES staff are very welcoming and sweet. They are willing to answer any of your questions and to give any advice you might need during your time being here.

Studying abroad is an unforgettable experience as I would never have thought that I would be given this opportunity to travel to so many countries in the span of few weeks. It has allowed to become more independent as I learned to make my own decisions and to become a better version of myself

Hassan

If it ain’t Dutch, it ain’t much

I took 2 Public Health classes, one on health literacy and the other an introduction to European Public Health. For both classes my professors were passionate about their subject and supportive in answering questions for my future career.

The CES staff was very helpful in helping me get comfortable in Maastricht. No matter what the issue is, CES has your back.

Overall, my trip was perfect. I feel I really had the opportunity to experience Dutch culture, make new friends from all around the world, and learn a lot about European public health!

Allegra

CES Summer Program

The courses challenged me to think in a creative way. They were centered on problem solving and discussions.
The CES staff are extremely welcoming and kind. They go above and beyond to help you and make sure your experience is the best.
I am am so happy I studied abroad here because I was able to reconnect with my Dutch heritage. I have loved every second of my adventures and I am so thankful that I got to explore so much.

Alumni Interviews

About CES Maastricht University

Maastricht University (UM) is the most international university in the Netherlands and, with 16,300 students and 4,300 employees, is still growing. The university stands out for its innovative education model, international character and...