Summer Programme in European Studies

Get ready for the best summer ever! The six-week Summer Programme in European Studies (SES) is designed for adventurous students looking for an authentic European study experience while earning credits towards their major. Choose from a variety of courses or study tours taught in English at Maastricht University, one of the highest-ranking universities in the Netherlands. Course topics fit most majors and have a distinct European or international theme.

The Western Europe Study Tour takes students on a journey to the most important institutions of the EU, key European businesses and powerful financial organisations in Western Europe.

• Join several study trips and discover Europe.
  • Make life-long friends from around the globe.
  • Spend six weeks living and studying in the birthplace of the European Union.
  • Your programme coordinators are 24/7 available in case of emergencies.

Haley

Summer in Maastricht!

Last summer, I studied in Maastricht for six weeks through the Center for European studies. It was such an amazing six weeks filled with great experiences and adventures with new friends that I honestly will never forget. Apart from Maastricht itself being an amazing place to study in for the summer, the people I met and courses I took contributed to the unforgettable experience I had while studying here.

The CES staff were very helpful throughout my time in Maastricht, they constantly were willing to provide support for students and made it apparent that they were available to assist no matter how small the question. It was great to know that the staff was so supportive and readily available to assist students with their needs!

One of my favorite things about studying abroad were the courses, especially the way in which they were taught. I loved how the class sizes were much smaller and focused on problem-based learning rather than how they are in America, which focuses on lecturing at students. The two summer courses I took transferred back to my home university without any problems, which is always a plus!

Another great thing about Maastricht is that traveling is incredibly easy because the city is centrally located. Within an hour by train, you can be in Germany or Belgium! There are multiple easy to get to airports if you are also looking to travel a little bit farther away. Throughout my six weeks, I definitely took advantage of Maastricht’s central location and traveled all throughout Europe.

Yuewen

Experience the world in Maastricht

This program helps me develop a view of the world in which you can experience things you have never expected before.
In the Western Europe study tour, I had a deep insight in to the culture and political aspect of the Europe that is so different from my country, while in the leadership and management course, I learned about what is a leader as well as who am I.
In this course, I explore the world with my own eyes and measure it with my own feet.
I also develop a sense of myself and build up my mental map for my inner world, which can navigate me in my lifetime.
The staff here are very kind and warmhearted. We talked about our own experiences and there is no distance between staff and students, which makes me feel like we are friends.
It is a trip rather than courses to see the world in another way that which is new and unique. I can feel the international atmosphere and develop my own personality during this program.

I think that air conditioner or fans are expected to be installed in the guesthouse.
Sharon

CES Summer Program

The program was not only an opportunity to learn about the culture in Maastricht but also to interact with students around the world and to learn about their cultures as well. I love how the classes are so interactive because it helps you to come out of your comfort zone to express your opinions and to also learn about topics from different global perspectives.

The CES staff are very welcoming and sweet. They are willing to answer any of your questions and to give any advice you might need during your time being here.

Studying abroad is an unforgettable experience as I would never have thought that I would be given this opportunity to travel to so many countries in the span of few weeks. It has allowed to become more independent as I learned to make my own decisions and to become a better version of myself

Hassan

If it ain’t Dutch, it ain’t much

I took 2 Public Health classes, one on health literacy and the other an introduction to European Public Health. For both classes my professors were passionate about their subject and supportive in answering questions for my future career.

The CES staff was very helpful in helping me get comfortable in Maastricht. No matter what the issue is, CES has your back.

Overall, my trip was perfect. I feel I really had the opportunity to experience Dutch culture, make new friends from all around the world, and learn a lot about European public health!

Allegra

CES Summer Program

The courses challenged me to think in a creative way. They were centered on problem solving and discussions.
The CES staff are extremely welcoming and kind. They go above and beyond to help you and make sure your experience is the best.
I am am so happy I studied abroad here because I was able to reconnect with my Dutch heritage. I have loved every second of my adventures and I am so thankful that I got to explore so much.

Allegra

Sila

CES Summer Program

I have learned how to problem solve better and think more critically about the world around me. I have explored more career paths and possibilities through my classes.
The CES staff offers a lot of advice and sources for navigating life in Maastricht. They made me feel welcome and helped me adjust to a new culture and country.
I have gotten the chance to travel and study in places I would’ve never imagined. I was exposed to many cultures and experiences that I wouldn’t have been exposed to back home.

Tina

CES Summer Program

The program introduced me to different styles of learning and expanded my perspectives on various topics. I felt that the program pushed me to my learning edge with the component of engaging and communicating with the rest of the class.

The CES staff was very understanding and welcoming. They made the transition smoother by acknowledging that everyone comes from different cultures, and helped alleviate stressors or bumps in the road.

My study abroad experience helped me grow as an individual in academics and in character. I feel more knowledgeable and aware of the world around me having seen different cultures, places around the world, lifestyles, and academic styles.

Danielle

CES Summer Session

The academic courses I took were Dutch Art History and European Integrative Economics. These courses enhanced the way I understand Dutch and European culture and history and broadened my cultural perspectives.

The CES staff are extremely helpful and responsive. I know I can get a quick and relevant response to any questions I have.

My study abroad experience as a whole expanded my independence and definitely changed me in some ways. I feel like I have done many things and have had many experiences I would never have tried before (some good and some bad) and I learned more about myself, Maastricht, the Netherlands, and Europe every day.

I wish the housing was closer to campus but it is easy to get a bike which provides cheap, quick, and reliable transportation and also helps you get your daily does of excercise.
MARIE

Come to CES!

The CES programme I attended was both intellectually stimulating and mind-opening. It allowed me to deepen my knowledge on a subject I really wanted to dig into, as well as meet students from many different backgrounds and horizons.

The CES staff I encountered were open, warm-hearted people that always smiled and patiently answered my questions, however dumb they were. I really wish I didn’t have to come back three times to their office to bother them about petty issues like credits transfer.

Studying is Maastricht was a nice way of continuing my studying abroad experience, albeit in a country where I didn't understand the language. It allowed me to discover a new place with people from abroad also willing to discover it and share this experience all together.

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland
Tess

CES at Maastricht University: An Amazing Summer

CES at Maastricht University is a great program for students who are looking to study abroad for many reasons! Here are just a few of the reasons why CES at Maastricht University is so great!

All of the CES staff members speak English and they do an amazing job coordinating and communicating pre-arrival details. The staff are supportive and they help with organizing many of the logistics that can be difficult (especially for first time travelers). My transition living abroad would not have been as easy if I did not have the CES staff members. A few of the wonderful things that the staff at CES did for me was that they helped me get set up with housing, helped me get to and from the airport, welcomed me upon arrival, provided me with really helpful information, helped me schedule a doctor’s appointment when I was sick, and they sponsored really fun events.

Maastricht is a great place to live. The Maastricht community is very welcoming and it is easy to travel to other countries from Maastricht. In addition, the stroopwafels are delicious!

My time abroad made me more independent, it increased my confidence levels, and it taught me how to be a better global citizen. One thing every participant should know before participating in the CES program at Maastricht University is that each participant will be a different person by the end of the program. In fact, every participant will grow and develop as a person, learn, and become a more confident traveler.

One thing that I wish I would have done differently while abroad was that I should have spent more time in nature and less time in big cities. After a while, the cities can begin to look the same but natural wonders are always beautiful and unique.

Wherever you go, always remember to have fun!

Tucker

Great program

The instructors and student aids were helpful from the moment we arrived and made sure to tell us as much as possible about the school, town, and housing before and while we were there that it felt like home. The classes were small (which I normally do not like) which was really nice because I got to know my classmates better than in a big class back home which made it easier to make friends. Living in the dorms was a great experience to meet people from other universities and countries and gave everyone a place to hang out with friends. The academics were challenging but not overwhelming, and the teachers understood that while we were there for school, we would also be busy traveling and exploring during our free time. They struck a good balance and added to the experience and helped me get to know the city/country better.

The housing could be changed a little bit to make some things cleaner, but that is me being very picky, and really the only thing I would change about the program.
Brittney

CES Maastricht Summer Program

this academic program was a life changing experience because it has opened new friends who challenged he way i thought about many political topics. it was also wonderful because it allowed me to have time and support to find the pathway i wanted to take inline, and now i am applying to law school in fall.

CES staff was incredible because they were always willing to help, whether that be answering many of my Facebook messages or joining us in the dorms for dinner. I loved getting to meet them and having the chance to see what they do.

I would not rate this experience for the world; it has not only changed my outlook on issues I care most about but it has allowed me to come into contact with people, who are now lifelong friends, that challenge me to think greater and be better. Traveling on the weekends opened up my world as well because immersing myself into the cultures of other countries has allowed me to look back at my country and want to make it a greater place.

Sarah

Maastricht, Netherlands

I loved my course at Maastricht because it was very hands-on and engaging which made going to class a joy! The readings and lectures were very entertaining and helped me to grow both academically and as a person. From the very moment I checked into the Guesthouse in Maastricht, the CES staff was there to accommodate my every need and provide so much information on academics, living in Maastricht, and exploring the beautiful city. In fact, upon our arrival, a staff member escorted us to the grocery store which made Maastricht feel like home from the beginning. I would not trade the memories or experiences from my study abroad trip for the world. Maastricht is now my European home away from home and I am forever thankful for the time I got to spend in this quaint, adorable city!

Chanda

My Summer in Maastricht

You gain an international understanding of things that would only be touched on at home, even in such a short time. My professors were knowledgeable on the subjects and thoroughly enjoyed teaching-which has made learning so much fun.

Getting in contact with the CES staff was always easy and helpful when questions arose and my home university was unable to answer. They genuinely care about your well being while you're here, and it's a good feeling having people watch out for you while you're thousands miles from home.

The best thing about my study abroad experience was developing friendships that helped me become a better me in such a short amount of time. I'll forever be grateful for the people I met and the experience I was able to have in Maastricht.

About CES Maastricht University

Maastricht University (UM), the most international university in the Netherlands, stands out for its innovative approach to learning and international outlook. With almost 16,000 students and 4,000 staff, UM offers a wide choice of academic...