Summer Programme in European Studies

Get ready for the best summer ever! The six-week Summer Programme in European Studies (SES) is designed for adventurous students looking for an authentic European study experience while earning credits towards their major. Choose from a variety of courses or study tours taught in English at Maastricht University, one of the highest-ranking universities in the Netherlands. Course topics fit most majors and have a distinct European or international theme.

The SES program also offers an exceptional multiple-day study tour where students discover the EU first hand. The study tour takes students to significant organisations, companies and cultural sites that are often unavailable to the casual tourist.

• Join several study trips and discover Europe;
  • Make life-long friends from around the globe;
  • Spend six weeks living and studying in the birthplace of the European Union;
  • Your programme coordinators are 24/7 available in case of emergencies.

• 9-10 rating 88.57%
  • 7-8 rating 11.43%
Reagan

The Best Decision I Made in College!

From the constant support of the CES staff to the beautiful city of Maastricht to the wonderful facilities to the friends I made along the way, I am so thankful for my study abroad experience in the Netherlands at Maastricht University. You will love exploring the quaint riverside of the city, walking and biking to your favorite shop, learning more about your classmates and professors, and being close to numerous other cities you can visit. Choose Maastricht University, and you won't be disappointed.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Exploring the Zonneberg caves, manmade caves built during World War II. They were absolutely fascinating!
Yi

CES Maastricht

The academic course of CES Maastricht really lets me learn professional and useful academic knowledge, which will be undoubtedly helpful for my future study and career.
At the same time, the free time and the field trips of the courses also lend me a golden chance to explore a real Europe by my self instead of just listening to hearsay and experience local culture and life style as well. Honestly speaking, it's really treasury memories for me.

The staff really give me a lot of help before and during the course.
They actually form my first impression of Masstricht, which is warmth, kindness and politeness and serious time awareness.

The course actually lets me find that my intercultual communication skills need to be further developed.
I may try to develop Problem Based Thinking in the future.

Zhixuan

I spent my summer in Maastricht and...

My summer academic programme in the UM includes the Western Europe study tour and International Business class. Both of them are packed with experience and knowledge by traveling around Frankfurt, Paris, London and learning in colloquial room with classmates from all over the world!

The CES staff are very passionate, caring and reliable. Students can always easily get reach to them whenever something comes up! You can consult them about any study problems or personal issues, they are always there for you!

Studying abroad this summer in the UM has taught me how to communicate with an international group of students throughout a group project. It is also a whole new experience to explore and live in an exotic city with new friends for six weeks!

Yixuan

REVIEW of CES summer program

Maastricht University uses a special teaching technology called PBL,problem-based learning, which is different from Chinese traditional teaching method, and though this method, we can better participate in the class and have deeper communication with professor and classmates.
I the only Chinese student in my course and I don’t have any background knowledge, it is OK to understand, the professor takes care of me.

They are really nice and friendly, especially Zen and Tom.
Every time I have questions I emailed them, and they will perfectly solve my problem.

It was my first time studying abroad and I think it is an unforgettable experience for me. Actually, something unfortunate happened to me, I lost a huge amount of money, but through this experience, I think I grew up a lot.

Farnoush

my personal honest review

Summary of my academic program: An exhilarating trip where you can meet new friends and take cool classes that maybe doesn’t exist in your home country like positive psychology! You learn more about yourself and grow and travel and learn what it's like being in a different social circle in a totally different culture
CES staff: The CES staff are the most helpful and most organized people you’ll probably meet in a program! They were able to book a last minute taxi and help me and my friends catch a flight in Brussels to Italy. Go to them with any and all questions you may have
Reflection on study abroad: I learned more about myself. Pushed myself more than I probably ever had but also learned to be easygoing and surround myself with people that fit that personality. And it took some time, but I found my niche and I grew accustomed to the culture and everyday I bike around and see something familiar and people smiling it made me happy. Overall one of the best experiences of my life!

Nothing to improve about the improve about the program, but be aware there are precautionary alarms every Sunday and you should not be worried.
Xuanyue

recommend this program

I am glad to have chosen University of Maastricht CES for the study program and will strongly recommend it to my home university. The CES program will provide you with well-designed academic courses as well as the various after-school activities. The Dutch art history in the first session is my favourite. The excursion trip is definitely the highlight and really rewarding. The professor will bring you to the museums in Hague as well as the local ones. Professor de Groot is really interesting and patient. It was a wonderful experience to attend his classes. Besides that, the overall arrangement of the CES program is reasonable. You will be able to travel around Europe at weekends. That will be an experience you might not have in other summer programs.

Ruijie

Academic program

This summer school program of Maastricht University gives students a chance to study subjects that are different from the home university and also give us a chance to get in touch with different people. they are group of people who are very kind and approachable, always there to help you out when you have any kinds of problems. They are also the group of people that you will meet first when you first arrive at this city. Studying abroad is much harder than I think and I have to spend a lot of time studying, but I have to say it’s really worth it. I met very friendly classmates who come from America, and lovely old people in this beautiful Maastricht city. At a sunny sunday afternoon, it's very relaxed to have a large cup of coffee at the central square.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Abusolutely cheese, there are soooo many kinds of cheese in Holland! there are also so many flavours which is so amazing.
Yexin

Academic program, CES staff, Studying Abroad

Studying in UM is really fun! I’ve really learnt a lot. Working with my group mates, communicating, figuring out what we all are interested in, and finally finishing the task together is the best memory I have:D I attend the Western Europe Study Tour and the International Business course for the summer program.
CES staffs are all nice and sweet people. I have been to the Netherlands for the first time, and they are always ready to help me and talk to me whenever I have a problem. LOVE them!!!!
This program is really great and exciting. I love Maastricht, and it’s a unique chance to experience the different and wonderful culture. People here are so warm-hearted!!!!!
It is such a great time with everyone here and I wish can become an ambassador of UM one day and even come back for further study!!!