Psychology & Neuroscience in Europe

Maastricht, the Netherlands, forms a unique environment for studying psychology and neuroscience. Maastricht University (UM) specialises in cognitive and biological psychology and its unique research infrastructure enables groundbreaking study of the brain and behaviour. It is home to a European Centre of Excellence that combines state-of-the-art technology (three MRI scanners of 9.4, 7 and 3 Tesla) with clinical know-how, access to patients and expert post-acquisition processing of data. During this programme, students can compare the scientific research methods of the Netherlands to those of their home country. They also follow courses and seminars taught by leading experts and gain insight into the latest topics in psychology and research, in a European setting.

Your adventure begins with a study trip to Berlin. Besides that, there are two cultural day/weekends trips included too that will take you to several cities in the Netherlands and to Paris.

• Research opportunities with psychology students from all over the world
  • Combines strong academics with integrated field trips and unique hands-on experiences
  • The Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience is widely recognised for its strong fundamental and applied research
  • Choose from more than 400 bachelor courses in English

• 9-10 rating 90.91%
  • 7-8 rating 9.09%
Kylie

2019 Exchange

The FPN faculty provides a strong overview of any concepts or techniques you may need to use in the professional world while also staying relevant and interesting with lectures like voice analysis or false memory creations. PBL sessions let you explore the theories in your own way and build off the random knowledge the rest of your classmates have.

The CES staff is always here to help for whatever you need with the biggest smile you could ask for, whether it’s a lost passport or you can’t find extra postcards. Genuinely some of the kindest, most helpful people I've ever had the pleasure of working with, especially considering all the stress of traveling abroad.

Getting the chance to continue my education at the programs offered by UM while also getting a full "exchange" experience is more than I could have ever hoped for.

Take advantage of every travel opportunity you get. But also don't forget to make Maastricht your home as well and explore everything the city has to offer. I’ve gotten the chance to explore over a dozen new countries and cities all while knowing I have a home that I’ve built for myself back in Maastricht.
Uma

Review of Fall Semester at Maastricht University

The academic program at Maastricht University caters to individuals’ creative mind as much as it does to their academic mind. Problem Based Learning feels more like a structured conversation that applies learning topics to real life.

In all my years at learning institutions, the staff at CES in my opinion is one of the most diligent and caring group of people I have met. Their dedication to making this program enjoyable and comfortable for students who are being pushed out of their comfort zone is admirable.

I have had arguably the most amazing experience of my life studying abroad in Maastricht. The best friends I have made here, the places I have visited, the new learning style that I’ve adapted to, and other minute aspects of my time here has made so rewarding.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Getting to know the bus system or train system a little earlier!
Rachel

Abroad Experience

The psychology and neuroscience program has a multitude of different classes to choose from. All are very interesting, but some are harder than others. Classes here are different than in the states and definitely require work, but you will still have plenty of time to travel and explore. They have PBL (Problem based learning) where you work in small groups to discuss the topic of the week.
The CES staff is extremely friendly and super helpful with any questions and issues. They are my go-to when I need help and they respond in a timely manner.
Studying abroad was the most amazing experience. I was able to see so much of Europe and Maastricht, eat fantastic food, meet amazing people, and grow as a person. I hope to one day visit Maastricht again.

My advice to future travelers is to see as much as you can. Maastricht and Europe are so beautiful. There’s so much to see and do.
Ashton

An amazing Program

This program mainly grades on papers and puts an emphasis on empirical articles. The program is easy to catch onto and adjust to. Staff of the Psychology department are willing to answer questions and help out whenever needed. The CES staff is friendly and open for questions at all times. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and help you adjust to the new environment. This experience has been a whirlwind of emotions and events from friends and family. Going somewhere new almost every weekend has been such a great experience, but coming home to Maastricht is what I look forward to after every trip. If I had to choose between changing this up or keeping it the same, I wouldn't change a single thing about this amazing experience.

I would make this program more well known. I hadn't really heard about it before coming here.
Garrett

Fall Program in Psychology and Neuroscience

I have nearly completed the first half of my time studying in Maastricht. I am enjoying my time here so much, that I have extended my stay for another semester. The classroom setting and learning style is something I could not experience in the US, and it fits my learning style much more than classes back home. Maastricht is a wonderful, cozy city that is easy to feel comfortable in and the schools staff is too notch. They truely make you feel like you matter and they are determined to help give you the best study abroad experience possible. This program excels in connecting students studying psychology with opportunities to learn and experience that they might not have back at their home university. I highly recommend you choose to study in Maastricht!

Nothing! It's fantastic program with an outstanding staff to compliment it. :)
Paulina

CES Maastricht

Studying psychology in Maastricht has opened my mind to new ways of thinking and broadened my perspective by having small group discussions on topics and being able to lead our research.

The CES staff is here to help answer your questions, especially when you’re adjusting to a new environment and there might be some cultural differences. At the same time, they’re here to be your friends! They really want to know how you’re doing and get to know you.

Studying abroad has made me so much more independent and confident in my abilities to solve problems! I’ve also become more comfortable with being uncomfortable, whether it’s in a new education system or meeting people with different cultural backgrounds

Brooke

Maastricht Mania

I've had a great time in the PBL style at UM because I've been able to get to know my classmates really well. It's a unique experience that brings together many different views to create a full picture and encourage learning more than just what's on the agenda for the day. The classes are not easy, but you really gain the knowledge because you work with it so much.

The staff has been great and they really engage with each student. From the very start, Maureen has helped me immensely and I love seeing her at programs and being able to catch up with her.

The people I've met have made this the most incredible experience I ever could have asked for. My roommate had a bad experience and didn't connect with the people at all, so I was very nervous coming into a program in a city I'd never previously heard of. Now Maastricht feels like home and I feel a bitter sweetness because I don't want to leave but I'm also so grateful to have been here.

Maastricht is a beautiful city and I'm so happy to have chosen it! It makes a great home base and while the weather is not something I'm used to, I still love it. There is so much history and culture and the celebrations are incredible. Maastricht has everything from shopping to gorgeous views to cozy cafes for studying. I'm so sad to have to leave but I hope one day I can come back!

Shiori

Unforgettable experience!

I got to pursue my academic passions in and international setting at UM! Organisational psychology is something I'm interested in and it has been fun to be able to explore that.

The CES staff are probably the most approachable group of people ever. From the very beginning, I felt comfortable around them and helped make Maastricht feel like home.

Everything feels like the most amazing dream. Seeing the world and meeting new people and going on adventures is something I'll never forget. Definetly will recommend to everyone i know!