VU Amsterdam Summer School

Spend your summer studying a challenging and interdisciplinary topic in the vibrant UNESCO World Heritage city of Amsterdam. The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers small-scale courses in a wide range of exciting fields at an excellent research university, VU Amsterdam. Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands, is a historic city with a modern and creative feel. It is the most international city in the world, a true metropolis, bustling with student life. It is considered a very safe and friendly city in a country where English is widely spoken.

The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers courses in three consecutive blocks during the month July and August. It is possible to combine two courses in order to create a four- or six-week programme.

Included in the tuition fee: airport pick-up service, an orientation program, on-site support, 24/7 emergency assistance and a transcript of records after completion of the course. Housing is available both on and off campus.

I could do pretty much I wanted to do. I didn't sign up for any excursions (we had only one trip to firefighters training center which was part of learning program). After the end of classes in each day I could do what ever I wanted to do and with who I wanted to. I took "Big Data in Society", maybe some other curriculum they have more field trips inside program.

Anna

VU Amsterdam Summer School

I have spent two weeks in Amsterdam, doing "Data Analysis in R" course in VU Amsterdam Summer School.
It has been a great experience, the course has been helpful as I study statistics in Italy.
It has became more and more difficult, but that was really challenging and the teacher was always there to help all students.
The staff have taken us to many beautiful places such as The Hague, Van Ghoog museum and we did the tour boat around the city, it has been amazing and very fun
I have met wonderful people

Sambeet

Great

Wonderful experience. It was a multi national classroom. Working together with different people have a broader impact on me. I would like to join more courses at here. The computer laboratory are very well prepared. The atmosphere at the University is very supportive to intellectual cultivation of ideas. The student organisations are also are very supportive and accomodating . I would highly recommend others to take the opportunity to take part in the study program .

More material and pace should include other students from diverse background .
Melanie

VU Summer School - Operations Research

I attended the Operations Research: A Mathematical Way to Optimize your World course during the VU Summer School program. VU is obviously an institution which prides itself on delivering excellence every aspect. This is seen from the quality of the course itself and the knowledgeable lecturers to the well maintained and modern university facilities. The VU Summer School team is also very well organized!

I thoroughly enjoyed making new friends with the other students attending Summer School. It is such a privilege to learn about their countries and cultures. I'm sure I will end up visiting some of them in the future!

Becky

Decolonising Europe Amsterdam Summer School

I thoroughly enjoyed my two weeks at this summer school - it was very intensive, focus and the staff were really enthusiastic. All of the excursions were interesting and relevant, and I saw a lot of Amsterdam through trips with the course. We even had a canal tour included looking at black heritage in the city. Overall I was very impressed with the organisation of the course and really can't fault anything.

I wish I'd started doing the readings a lot in advance
Helen

VU Summer School Review: Decolonizing Europe

VU summer school has expanded my horizons exponentially. I have not just grown academically but as a person as well. The lecturers are experts in their field and drive you to achieve your best. Although intensive 'Decolonizing Europe' is an incredible course which has helped me to develop a new way of thinking and looking at the world and I believe it will help me to achieve more moving forward in my academic career.

My course was significantly intensive, not an issue as it helped me expand my knowledge. However, it did mean that I had to miss several of the excursions which was annoying. The administrators were helpful with getting refunds. However, more communication between administrators and course directors on when the courses need to stop to allow students to get to the excursions would be useful.
Sabrina

Neurodegenerative diseases course

Overall an amazing course taught by a collaboration of insightful and inspiring lecturers. We have a project due at the end of the course which allows each group of students to become amateur professionals in a specific area of study. The course also has hands on labs which allows us to learn by conducting our own mini experiments.
The housing accommodation I am staying at is the JANSON Hotel. It's a student hotel so there is a shared kitchen. We need to purchase our own essentials because shampoos soaps lotions and toilet paper is not given. We are given two towels for an additional charge along with a flat sheet and comfortpr to use during the stay. The hotel is far from the city and school so a bike rental is absolutely necessary!

Overall great time in Amsterdam!

I think there should be inclusive activities for the student to take part in together. I also think more trips could have been added.
The staff is very helpful for this program! Everyone is so sweet and nice! I enjoyed the program! Nicely organized!
Filip

Academically interesting summer school, excellent price/quality ratio

All in all, I was very happy with the Summer Course I took at the VU Amsterdam, which was in Empirical Legal Methods.

The professor herself was amazing. She wrote a book especially for the purpose of this course, although we were only 9. At the same time, she managed to make basic social science research methods ''sexy'' for law students, which is most definately not an easy thing to do.

Besides that, I was also very harppy with the quality of the accomodation at Hotel Jansen. If I ever noticed another interesting course and were to have time, I would definately consider returning to this Summer School.

I think it might be helpful if some more social events were included with the ''whole group''. For example, there was a small welcome reception upon arrival of the program, but then there was some sort of ''gap'' between arrival and the first class on Monday. Thus, I believe it might be fun to add some common extra group events to the program in the first weekend (e.g. first day: some kind of competition between groups that have to perform different tasks in the city of Amsterdam, etc.).
Armando

I am from UCLA

Overall, this program has been a motivating and self-reflecting experience for me. I have learned so much about myself academically and of course about the class. I learned about the African diaspora in the Europe and how I can relate it to a US context. I also learned about how the Netherlands still encounters microaggressions which often times it goes unheard of. I would recommend this course to anyone who is willing to learn about race and racism on a broader/international perspective as not all students are dutch.

N/A
Mihaela

Great way to learn and live in a new city :)

The Amsterdam Summer School at VU was amazing! Although the two weeks flew by, I made great connections and friends from all over the world and learned so much about Dutch culture, helping me feel A LOT more comfortable living in Amsterdam after the course. I would definitely do the Amsterdam Summer School program again as everything about it was perfect including: housing, curriculum, and the welcome events planned by the program leaders :)

Mahreen

Summer School At VU !!

The decision to study at VU turned out to be really great. It was a perfect blend of providing upto date knowledge along with providing you the opportunity to visit beautiful sights of Amsterdam and explore Dutch culture.
The 2 weeks course was very well organised with updated lecture contents and hands on practical experience to gain insights on data analysis.
Additionally, the various excursions(within and outside Amsterdam) really made it amazing.
The staff at VU is very helping and supportive. It was so nice to meet people from diverse backgrounds and sharing their experiences.

Debasish

Amsterdam Summer School: Learn and Fun

Amsterdam Summer School organized by Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is one of the very good places in the globe where one can build and develop one's field of interest with Friendly Faculty. The organizers are very friendly and helpful. They help the student's to know Amsterdam and it's neighbourhood areas better by organizing trips/ Events. Pub Quiz, Selfie contest are another 'Add- On's to the school which make you know Amsterdam in Better way.

Amsterdam Summer School will always be in it's way to show the light to develop one's career and our society better way.

I think, the Programmes are absolutely fine. But, 15 days would not be enough to learn a subject better.
Adarsh R Nair
Adarsh R Nair

My time in Amsterdam.

First of all Amsterdam is am awesome place to be visited atleast once in a life time. I am lucky that i was able to find this program from Amsterdam Summer School of Vrije University. The courses were good like all programs of 2 week duration. Our knowledge database is anyway improved. Moreover they gave us 3 tour that can be chosen from 4. I anyway took 2 only. The guides were too good that we just feel like they are one among our batch mates only.

It could be more planned to make people from all backgrounds adapt to it.
Jana

Internation Criminal Justice

International Criminal Justice course offered by VU Amsterdam Summer school belongs to one of the best study experiences I have ever had. The 2 weeks program consists of 10 lectures, 2 days of visiting ICC, ICTY and ICJ and other activities such as paintball with Red Cross. The organisation of course allows students from diffrent background (law, criminology, psychology, international reelations etc.) attend the seminar so the lively discussion on every single lesson is guaranteed.

Anupoma

Summer in an amazing city!

In such a historical city like Amsterdam , getting the chance to spend summer with amazing diverse background people is one opportunity to must avail. VU staffs and Netherlands's cultural diversity would amaze you for sure and would help to broaden your perspective . Roaming around in the city , cruising in beautiful canals and of course getting to see the Van Gogh's masterpieces were like cherry on the top along with some extra summer credits. So, why not taking this incredible opportunity in such a great city!

Jessica

International Criminal Justice course

My short 2 weeks at VU was something I am happy to have taken part in as it was truly memorable. The classes consist d of not only lectures but trips and excursions which really made the course enjoyable - for example paint balling according to the rules of humanitarian law gave us an insight into the law in a fun and unique way. Not only this, we went to ICC and the Peace Palace plus other places!
The city also offers lots of activities to do in your spare time so there was never nothing to do and with many people on the course you get a chance to meet people from all over the world!

The program could be improved by having cheaper tuition fees

About Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam

Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is a comprehensive research university, ranked amongst the top 100 universities of the world. Since its founding in 1880 interdisciplinary research questions from society have been leading in its education. Throughout the...