VU Amsterdam Summer School

VU Amsterdam Summer School

Spend your summer studying a challenging and interdisciplinary topic in the vibrant UNESCO World Heritage city of Amsterdam. The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers small-scale courses in a wide range of exciting fields at an excellent research university, VU Amsterdam. Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands, is a historic city with a modern and creative feel. It is the most international city in the world, a true metropolis, bustling with student life. It is considered a very safe and friendly city in a country where English is widely spoken.

The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers courses in three consecutive blocks during the month July and August. It is possible to combine two courses in order to create a four- or six-week programme.

Included in the tuition fee: airport pick-up service, an orientation program, on-site support, 24/7 emergency assistance and a transcript of records after completion of the course. Housing is available both on and off campus.

Europe » Netherlands » Amsterdam
PhD.
Resume
Cover Letter
EUR
The tuition fee of a two-week course will range between €1000 - €1150 (excluding housing). This includes: an orientation program, pick up service from Schiphol Amsterdam Airport, on-site support, 24/7 emergency assistance and a transcript of records after completion of the course.

If you select two consecutive courses and study with us for four weeks, you will receive a 10% discount on the second course fee.
-An early bird discount of €100 is available for students who apply before the 15 March 2016
-Students from VU University Amsterdam as well as from exchange partner universities will receive a €250 discount
-The VU Amsterdam Summer School has 10 scholarships available that cover the full tuition fee of one course. This is €1000 or €1150 depending on the course of your choice

I could do pretty much I wanted to do. I didn't sign up for any excursions (we had only one trip to firefighters training center which was part of learning program). After the end of classes in each day I could do what ever I wanted to do and with who I wanted to. I took "Big Data in Society", maybe some other curriculum they have more field trips inside program.

Sambeet
Netherlands

Great

Wonderful experience. It was a multi national classroom. Working together with different people have a broader impact on me. I would like to join more courses at here. The computer laboratory are very well prepared. The atmosphere at the University is very supportive to intellectual cultivation of ideas. The student organisations are also are very supportive and accomodating . I would highly recommend others to take the opportunity to take part in the study program .

More material and pace should include other students from diverse background .

Melanie
South Africa
University of Stellenbosch

VU Summer School - Operations Research

I attended the Operations Research: A Mathematical Way to Optimize your World course during the VU Summer School program. VU is obviously an institution which prides itself on delivering excellence every aspect. This is seen from the quality of the course itself and the knowledgeable lecturers to the well maintained and modern university facilities. The VU Summer School team is also very well organized!

I thoroughly enjoyed making new friends with the other students attending Summer School. It is such a privilege to learn about their countries and cultures. I'm sure I will end up visiting some of them in the future!

Becky

Decolonising Europe Amsterdam Summer School

I thoroughly enjoyed my two weeks at this summer school - it was very intensive, focus and the staff were really enthusiastic. All of the excursions were interesting and relevant, and I saw a lot of Amsterdam through trips with the course. We even had a canal tour included looking at black heritage in the city. Overall I was very impressed with the organisation of the course and really can't fault anything.

I wish I'd started doing the readings a lot in advance

Helen
United Kingdom
University of Sheffield

VU Summer School Review: Decolonizing Europe

VU summer school has expanded my horizons exponentially. I have not just grown academically but as a person as well. The lecturers are experts in their field and drive you to achieve your best. Although intensive 'Decolonizing Europe' is an incredible course which has helped me to develop a new way of thinking and looking at the world and I believe it will help me to achieve more moving forward in my academic career.

My course was significantly intensive, not an issue as it helped me expand my knowledge. However, it did mean that I had to miss several of the excursions which was annoying. The administrators were helpful with getting refunds. However, more communication between administrators and course directors on when the courses need to stop to allow students to get to the excursions would be useful.

Sabrina
JANSON HOTEL

Neurodegenerative diseases course

Overall an amazing course taught by a collaboration of insightful and inspiring lecturers. We have a project due at the end of the course which allows each group of students to become amateur professionals in a specific area of study. The course also has hands on labs which allows us to learn by conducting our own mini experiments.
The housing accommodation I am staying at is the JANSON Hotel. It's a student hotel so there is a shared kitchen. We need to purchase our own essentials because shampoos soaps lotions and toilet paper is not given. We are given two towels for an additional charge along with a flat sheet and comfortpr to use during the stay. The hotel is far from the city and school so a bike rental is absolutely necessary!

Overall great time in Amsterdam!

I think there should be inclusive activities for the student to take part in together. I also think more trips could have been added.
The staff is very helpful for this program! Everyone is so sweet and nice! I enjoyed the program! Nicely organized!

Filip

Academically interesting summer school, excellent price/quality ratio

All in all, I was very happy with the Summer Course I took at the VU Amsterdam, which was in Empirical Legal Methods.

The professor herself was amazing. She wrote a book especially for the purpose of this course, although we were only 9. At the same time, she managed to make basic social science research methods ''sexy'' for law students, which is most definately not an easy thing to do.

Besides that, I was also very harppy with the quality of the accomodation at Hotel Jansen. If I ever noticed another interesting course and were to have time, I would definately consider returning to this Summer School.

I think it might be helpful if some more social events were included with the ''whole group''. For example, there was a small welcome reception upon arrival of the program, but then there was some sort of ''gap'' between arrival and the first class on Monday. Thus, I believe it might be fun to add some common extra group events to the program in the first weekend (e.g. first day: some kind of competition between groups that have to perform different tasks in the city of Amsterdam, etc.).

Armando

I am from UCLA

Overall, this program has been a motivating and self-reflecting experience for me. I have learned so much about myself academically and of course about the class. I learned about the African diaspora in the Europe and how I can relate it to a US context. I also learned about how the Netherlands still encounters microaggressions which often times it goes unheard of. I would recommend this course to anyone who is willing to learn about race and racism on a broader/international perspective as not all students are dutch.

N/A

Mihaela
Boston
Northeastern University

Great way to learn and live in a new city :)

The Amsterdam Summer School at VU was amazing! Although the two weeks flew by, I made great connections and friends from all over the world and learned so much about Dutch culture, helping me feel A LOT more comfortable living in Amsterdam after the course. I would definitely do the Amsterdam Summer School program again as everything about it was perfect including: housing, curriculum, and the welcome events planned by the program leaders :)

Mahreen
Pakistan

Summer School At VU !!

The decision to study at VU turned out to be really great. It was a perfect blend of providing upto date knowledge along with providing you the opportunity to visit beautiful sights of Amsterdam and explore Dutch culture.
The 2 weeks course was very well organised with updated lecture contents and hands on practical experience to gain insights on data analysis.
Additionally, the various excursions(within and outside Amsterdam) really made it amazing.
The staff at VU is very helping and supportive. It was so nice to meet people from diverse backgrounds and sharing their experiences.

Debasish
Demow, India

Amsterdam Summer School: Learn and Fun

Amsterdam Summer School organized by Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is one of the very good places in the globe where one can build and develop one's field of interest with Friendly Faculty. The organizers are very friendly and helpful. They help the student's to know Amsterdam and it's neighbourhood areas better by organizing trips/ Events. Pub Quiz, Selfie contest are another 'Add- On's to the school which make you know Amsterdam in Better way.

Amsterdam Summer School will always be in it's way to show the light to develop one's career and our society better way.

I think, the Programmes are absolutely fine. But, 15 days would not be enough to learn a subject better.

Adarsh R Nair
Adarsh R Nair
Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala

My time in Amsterdam.

First of all Amsterdam is am awesome place to be visited atleast once in a life time. I am lucky that i was able to find this program from Amsterdam Summer School of Vrije University. The courses were good like all programs of 2 week duration. Our knowledge database is anyway improved. Moreover they gave us 3 tour that can be chosen from 4. I anyway took 2 only. The guides were too good that we just feel like they are one among our batch mates only.

It could be more planned to make people from all backgrounds adapt to it.

Jana

Internation Criminal Justice

International Criminal Justice course offered by VU Amsterdam Summer school belongs to one of the best study experiences I have ever had. The 2 weeks program consists of 10 lectures, 2 days of visiting ICC, ICTY and ICJ and other activities such as paintball with Red Cross. The organisation of course allows students from diffrent background (law, criminology, psychology, international reelations etc.) attend the seminar so the lively discussion on every single lesson is guaranteed.

Anupoma
Portugal

Summer in an amazing city!

In such a historical city like Amsterdam , getting the chance to spend summer with amazing diverse background people is one opportunity to must avail. VU staffs and Netherlands's cultural diversity would amaze you for sure and would help to broaden your perspective . Roaming around in the city , cruising in beautiful canals and of course getting to see the Van Gogh's masterpieces were like cherry on the top along with some extra summer credits. So, why not taking this incredible opportunity in such a great city!

Jessica
Manchester

International Criminal Justice course

My short 2 weeks at VU was something I am happy to have taken part in as it was truly memorable. The classes consist d of not only lectures but trips and excursions which really made the course enjoyable - for example paint balling according to the rules of humanitarian law gave us an insight into the law in a fun and unique way. Not only this, we went to ICC and the Peace Palace plus other places!
The city also offers lots of activities to do in your spare time so there was never nothing to do and with many people on the course you get a chance to meet people from all over the world!

The program could be improved by having cheaper tuition fees

Frances
Shrewsbury
University of Gloucestershire

Fantastic Summer!

I had a great summer spent studying at Amsterdam Summer School. I was able to go on lots of really interesting and exciting excursions and trips, whilst also having lectures from distinguished professionals, an experience I couldn't have had otherwise! I was able to enjoy studying in a beautiful city and make lots of new friends along the way! I would definitely recommend the summer school to any students wanting something a bit different from their summer.

Perhaps more assignment help/focus.

Risto
Haapsalu

Nice university and people

It was my first summer school and studying abroad experience and it was fun. Amsterdam and VU is very nice place to be. So many different cultures and people really make studying here unique. Teachers are professional and help as much as is needed. I took Big Data Society class and in the end of the second week people who had no previous knowledge about coding were coding. And they loved it. And biggest value is the friends you are going to make here.

Maybe more segmentation for advanced and begenners level

Madeleine
Boston, Massachusetts
Northeastern University

Best summer school

Last summer, I had the pleasure of participating in the Amsterdam Summer School. I took the 2 week course Decolonizing Europe: History, Idea, Praxis which was in collaboration with Brown University. I was astounded by the level of expertise of my professors, and by the wide range of topics we covered. I honestly consider it the most important and fulfilling course I have taken, and it was just 2 weeks!
The program was well organized, and the staff was always accessible and helpful. Amsterdam is a beautiful city, and the Amsterdam Summer School helped me explore it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes to be challenged.

I only wish it would have been a bit longer!

Majad
Sheffield, England
University of Sheffield

Best Summer Ever!!!

Going to Amsterdam for the summer school was the best decision I have ever made. My course "New Venture Creation and Entrepreneurship" gave me an international insight into the business world and really broadened my horizon. The course was challenging and very rewarding at the same time and brought the best out of me. The lecturers were really caring and made the course enjoyable by bringing in different guest speakers and organising field trips. I had the opportunity to meet some remarkable people from all over the world and made some lifetime friends.
Amsterdam is a truly amazing and beautiful city with a vast amount of history around every corner. Anne Frank house, Maritime Museum and Van Gogh Museum were a few of the amazing attractions I had the opportunity to see.
Overall, I would recommend you put Amsterdam on top of your list when looking at places to study abroad and be ready for an experience of a lifetime.

There aren't many improvements that could be made if anything the programme could be longer. It was all a BLURRR.

Jessica
New York City
City College

VU Amsterdam

VU Amsterdam is the perfect place to study abroad. Amsterdam is a beautiful city full of history, and at VU you can learn both in and outside the classroom.The program itself went above and beyond my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed both my courses. The professors were caring, friendly, and truly cared about our success. The excursions were fun and the staff always put our interests first. I would recommend everyone to join this program.

Maybe more course offerings in the second block and more food options on campus.

Juliana
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Best Experience/Summer Abroad!

Amazing opportunity I had last summer: The "New Venture Creation and Entrepreneurship" course VU offers! The quality of the lectures, the campus' environment, the professors' commitment and the diversity of students positively surprised me.
Amsterdam is a beautiful, active and historical city. VU insisted on taking us to different places around the country, making our learning more dinamic and interesting. Besides, they were always relating the places to our course projects/assignments, what provided us a more intense experience.
I was also glad to have the opportunity to meet and talk to some important/sucessful entrepreneurs of the business world that have been brought by the Summer School during the weeks. They volunteered in the program to present us their life's story and show us the practical part of the field.
Finally, the program also gave me some good friends from all different parts of the world: Italy, France, Spain, USA, Uganda, Turkey, Armenia, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Romenia, China, South Africa, Scotland, UK and Colombia that added a lot of fun moments and good laughs to my trip.
I'm thankful for all the Amsterdam Summer School team for making this amazing summer my best experience abroad.

I would make the program a bit longer than the 2 weeks duration. Everything went very fast for me and I wish I could have been a bit more with my colleagues and professors.

Julian
Amsterdam

Doing Research with Discourse Analysis: A Discourse Perspective on Making Sense of Social Change

I was already very interested in (Critical) Discourse Analysis and the course did not disappoint me at all. The lecturers presented their research in a very accessible manner trying to involve the students at all times. The focus on research was clear. We had to chance to use the same methods that the researchers used when doing their research and we were presented with new software that we used and were welcomed to also use it to analyse our own data.

The discussions were interesting and everyone in the group was very critical and participative which made it very stimulating. The topics were varied and so were the frameworks used. I learnt so much in two weeks. Both from lecturers and students. It motivated me to pursue higher academic goals after my Research MA.

For a whole day we heard about the research other students were doing. It was inspiring and stimulating.

The day trip to the Hague was also a lot of fun and we learnt about the Dutch political system. The game where we had to create different political groups and make a coalition made us aware of the language we would use in such scenarios and the importance of it in negotiations. I would strongly recommend this course to anyone that aims at having a more critical and socially engaged approach to research.

The organisation of the course was not clear from the beginning. Everything turned out well in the end but there were a few changes we were only informed of during the first session.

Emma
Northampton, MA

Expanding your horizons in Amsterdam

Going to Amsterdam to take a Dutch course there, I didn't image coming out of the course learning more than just how to introduce myself in Dutch. I learned far more then I could've ever imagined by immersing myself in the culture and the people that surrounded me. By going overseas to study you're able to learn in a new academic setting that allows you to challenge yourself. Additionally, you're expanding your mind just being surrounded by people from a different culture. The amount of kindness and happiness that I found in Amsterdam rubbed off on me. Going overseas one can find people waiting for them with open arms and ready to share their culture.

Being back in your home town you're surrounded by the same people stuck in the same routines which often times blind sides you from taking a moment to enjoy life. Traveling and studying overseas has helped me to take that moment where I ever I am to appreciate the people i'm around, the food, the culture. Going over seas has been a life changing experience, i've learned about a new culture, language and have made my own personal growths.

As far as the Dutch course, I think the amount of material that is expected to be learned by the end of the two weeks and the pace of the course is a bit much especially for people learning a second language for the first time. However, the professors were incredibly understanding and supportive.

Agnes
Hong Kong

Had a great time!

Amsterdam is a lovely city. Beautiful canals, nice people, museums and loads of fun all in one place.

I took a Dutch language and culture course, because I thought it can help me to fit in better, know the place in depth and get the most out of the overseas adventure. In two weeks time, I am happy to be able to order drinks in Dutch and to understand some phrases around myself.

And VU's team was supportive in the summer programme. The pick-up service, opening party and introduction programme were satisfactory. Overall, this is a pretty well-built programme.

Yu
Brisbane, Australia
University of Queensland

Great Experience - work hard, play hard!

I had a lot of fun studying a neurodegenerative disease course at VU. The content and lecture material was current, new and exciting as well as informative and challenging to the students. Housing organised by the Summer School at the Student Hotel was brilliant - I thought. Rooms were clean, individual bathrooms, gym and lounge areas within the main building. And most importantly, a bicycle to ride to uni! Also got to meet some really amazing people who's rooms would be a couple doors away.

Staying in Amsterdam, I had an absolute blast. Everything was close to get to, central wasn't too far and there was always something to do. The classes also finished at a reasonable hour so students had free time to explore the city. The course was enough to study for and learn from, but not too much that it became a burden. So, you get to work hard AND play hard~

Definitely recommend!

Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is a comprehensive research university, ranked amongst the top 100 universities of the world. Since its founding in 1880 interdisciplinary research questions from society have been leading in its education. Throughout the past century, the university has continued to expand. It now