TEAN: Study Abroad in Wellington, New Zealand

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship 2019

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. The scholarship can be used for any Summer or Fall 2019 TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees, orientation and housing (up to $26,000 value).

TEAN's partnership with Victoria University Wellington and Massey University - Wellington provides students the opportunity to study abroad in the 'Coolest Little Capital in the World' as voted by Lonely Planet. With two schools offered you can study almost any discipline while soaking up the vibe of New Zealand's art- and culture-focused capital.

The semester begins with an exciting 5-day Orientation Excursion in adventurous Queenstown on New Zealand's South Island where TEAN's in-country staff guide students through orientation sessions and an array of activities, including exploring Maori culture more deeply, jet boating along the Dart River or discovering the stunning Milford Sound.

Ellie

Aotearoa: Long white cloud

I had such an amazing experience with TEAN and my amazing host country, New Zealand. TEAN was amazing and provided me with so many resources to seek out scholarships and through there resources I applied with the NZ education department and received a stipend to do social media marketing and received a letter of recommendation from them in return.

TEAN provided me with a to the point orientation and were incredibly reachable but they also let me personalize my abroad experience and do my own personal travel.

NA
Kevin

I can't wait to go back! A true backpacker's dream!

Studying abroad in Wellington, New Zealand was the perfect fit for me for so many beautiful reasons. Going into studying abroad, I had very little idea where I wanted to go, and I am so glad I ended up in Wellington. The cool coffee capital culture of Wellington always seemed to amaze me. Wellington is the cultural capital of New Zealand and it shows, with many museums, live music bars, great coffee and restaurants and a bustling waterfront filled with many weekend markets. Living in Wellington never had a dull moment as there is so much to do in the city. Over the course of the semester, I attended a Diwali festival, a rugby game, and many concerts.
But New Zealand is much more than city life, the real fun comes from getting outside and exploring the completely gorgeous landscape. Almost every weekend, my friends and I would rent a car, for relatively cheap, and go "tramping", the kiwi term for hiking. As an avid outdoorsman, the scenery was one of the many reasons I chose New Zealand and I was not disappointed in the slightest. Every single trip was better than the last. A few highlights included staying in the famous Mueller Hut in Mount Cook National Park, a solo backpacking trip through the local forest range, and my own little hobbit pilgrimage to the fires of Mount Doom! Overall, planning and going on trips ranging from one day to two weeks were was my favorite part of my abroad experience.
Studying abroad with TEAN was also a great experience both before and during my time in New Zealand. Before arriving, there are so many different tasks that need to be completed including visas, class registration, housing, etc. But TEAN made it so easy. I was matched with one of their employees, who took me through all the various steps and eliminated so much hassle in the process. She answered the countless e-mails I sent to her very promptly and always had correct and timely information. While in New Zealand, TEAN's orientation helped us adjust to the initial culture shock of being abroad and was a good transition period that eased us into adjusting to living abroad. During the orientation, we learned to perform a Maori song and visited Milford sound, a highlight of my entire time abroad. Orientation also acted as a great time to create a network of students to visit in the other cities when making future travel plans! After arriving in Wellington, the TEAN students came together for three activities, a rugby game, a trip to Weta Workshop and a tour of a bird ecosanctuary. Overall, I would highly recommend studying abroad in Wellington, especially with TEAN. My only request to you if you do go is taking me with you!

TEAN is a great program and I do not see any areas for drastic improvement.
Jessica

Adventure Awaits

New Zealand has always been a country I wanted to visit. After seeing pictures of sweeping, breathtaking landscapes and hearing of the wonderful people and culture, it was never a question of "if" I'll go, but "when". The decision I had to make was whether I would visit at some point later on in life for a couple of weeks fitting in as much of the sights as possible, or take a risk spending a full 5 months living so far away from home in the hopes of getting even more out of my time there. Boy, am I glad I picked the latter. Having the time to fully explore, live, and learn in the capital city of Wellington at Massey University was such a fantastic and positive experience. The city is bursting with vibrant art and culture with nothing more than a half hour walk away at most. You have the high-energy city experience while still being able to escape the bustle when needed with the suburbs just outside downtown. Wellington also serves as a great jumping off point to travel around the two islands to see even more stunning scenery with it being so centrally located. TEAN also did a phenomenal job ensuring that our transition went as smoothly as possible and providing us with the necessary resources to make the most of our experience there. If you're looking for a place to study that is so different and exciting yet able to be so completely welcoming serving as a home-away-from home, Wellington is your place.

- More comprehensive academic orientation through host university
- Easier transportation outside of city limits
Shannon

How Wellington won my Heart

The Education Abroad Network helped me realize my dream to study abroad and live in New Zealand. They are a steadfast network dedicated to helping students travel and study in new environments and the relationship that T.E.A.N. has with Victoria University of Wellington is strong. I felt safe, supported, and excited during my time in New Zealand. I loved the university and felt excited to go to classes and engage with my peers. Wellington is a gorgeous city and is full of students and international people. It is situated on the coast and is an easy access point to travel from. There is literally always something to do in Wellington and kiwis are really friendly people once you get to talking. One of my favorite memories was meeting a kiwi mother on a plane and talking to her for five minutes before she asked me hold her baby for her while she was in the bathroom! Kiwis (New Zealanders) are one of a kind, special people. You will be interested in courses, you will have time to travel, and you will feel beyond grateful for all the sights you will see! I would do anything to be back in New Zealand. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone! It's well worth the ride :)

Kayla

'Not all those who wander are lost'- J. R. R. Tolkien

I love to travel, and I hope that never changes. Coming to New Zealand has made me realize how much I love to travel for an extended period of time. Backpacking around is fun and all, and I love that too, but I loved meeting the people here, spending time with the Kiwi's learning the Maori Culture, taking classes, going to food stores, and being fully immersed in a culture the way that you can never experience in only a few days or weeks at a time.

In new zealand I became an adventurer, I bungee jumped, horse trekked, white&black water rafted, rock climbed, kayaked, biked, swam, and splunked (caving). 5 hour hikes became the normal everyday. I hiked across beaches, valleys, and forests through caves and rivers, over mountains, down ravines, through rain, snow, and sunshine. New Zealand turned me into an adventurer. It make me say 'yes' to experiencing new things, trying new foods, and talking to new people. So on my last week in new Zealand when a friend asked me to go on a 5 hour hike, I did it mostly barefoot, and when I found the most perfect patch of moss along the hike, I laid on it and felt like frodo waiting for gandelf to walk by and have a chat. I have never felt more like a Kiwi, than I had at that moment. It explains their relaxed nature, and love for the outdoors, with just a tweak of 'Tolkien' hidden in the magical-ness of the image.

Katherine

The Best Way to Learn and Grow

Wellington was the most amazing host city! It was so cultured, and the perfect size to explore and navigate. It is nestled right in a harbour, and is the most unique city I have ever been to! If you have a love for coffee and cafes like I do, Wellington is the perfect place for you! Not to mention it was an ideal location for traveling the rest of the country. And I was so glad I had TEAN encouraging me to make the most of my time abroad! They were amazing at communicating with me and handled everything and anything you could ever imagine!

One of my favorite memories is a road trip my housemates and I went on to go hiking on the Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk track. Everything about the weekend was great- stopping in little towns to explore, hiking around a picturesque lake with light snowfall, and really getting to know my roommates. It was a time that I can look back on as a way to remember that adventure is the best way to learn and grow. The experiences to have abroad are truly life changing and I wouldn't have changed anything I encountered during my time studying in New Zealand. Being able to travel is invaluable and college is the best time to do it! I've always believed that there is nothing better than getting college credits for traveling and learning about a new culture, and I still stand by that statement.

It hard to come up with improvements for TEAN. They did so well preparing me before I started me journey halfway across the world, and they maintained a connection with me throughout my time abroad. I'm so happy that I chose them to be my guides throughout this whole process.
Kirsty

I'm so glad I didn't pick Europe

All my best friends went to Europe and a lot of them questioned why I chose New Zealand. However, two seconds in Fiji and I knew I had made the right choice. 73 college students on an island all about to spend the next six months together there really is no easier way to make friends! None of which would have been possible without TEAN. Prior to even stepping foot in New Zealand The Education Abroad Network reassures you 100% that they will be there to help you as much as you need it throughout your semester. Even someone who considers them self as independent it would reassuring to know that 10,000 miles away from home there was help if I needed it.

I literally wouldn't change anything.
Emily

Take Me Back to the Most Beautiful Place in the World

My abroad experience will absolutely have a lasting impact on my life. Choosing to study abroad in New Zealand with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) was one of the best decisions of my life. The staff is incredibly helpful and supportive; they made the transition into kiwi life a breeze. I always heard that New Zealand had the reputation of being the extreme sports capital of the world, and that was intimidating. After spending 5 and a half months in this amazing country, I can honestly say that New Zealanders live up to this rep. From the laid-back outgoing people to the endless opportunities for adventure, New Zealand knows how to go extreme. TEAN prepared us from the beginning by pushing us right into this aspect of kiwi culture. We went zorbing down a massive hill and had an intense trip white water rafting. TEAN's preparation inspired me to keep the thrill alive. Following my orientation, I spent the next months hiking, bungee jumping, paragliding, and much more. I explored all that Wellington and New Zealand had to offer. If you want to explore the world and adventure through some of the most beautiful places, New Zealand is the destination for you! If you want a staff that is supportive 100% of the time, TEAN is the program for you!! Thank you TEAN for giving me a trip I will never forget.

I cannot honestly think of a more perfect trip. TEAN did an amazing job prepping us for our time abroad. With a relaxing getaway to Fiji and an informative orientation in Auckland, TEAN helped me immerse myself into kiwi culture. I only wish I could have stayed in NZ forever.
Danielle

The Education Abroad Network opened my eyes to the world of travel

It is hard to put into just a few sentences what a great impact my experience in New Zealand through the Education Abroad Network had on my life. The people I met, places I traveled, and experiences I gained were absolutely incredible.
The staff at the TEAN office were extremely helpful from the beginning. They were always available and willing to help with every step of the process from acquiring a visa, to selecting classes to take the university, and even with packing tips.
My abroad journey began with an orientation in Auckland followed by an amazing trip to Fiji. Throughout orientation we learned about New Zealand culture and started to get a feel of what it was like to become a member of their society.
I could not be happier with my decision to study at Victoria University in Wellington. Wellington is the coolest little capital with mountains, city, and water all wrapped into one. There were always new places to eat, shop, and explore.
Studying at the university was also a great experience. I was placed into classes full of Kiwi students, allowing me to make other friends besides other international students. I learned about New Zealand history and the country's larger position in the world and it was truly an eye opening experience.
I would not trade my experience in Wellington New Zealand for anything in the world. I learned so much throughout the whole process and now hope to be able to travel to more beautiful countries in the future.

Shannon

Greatest experience of my life

Going to New Zealand was, by far, one of the best choice that I have ever made. I had so many eye-opening experiences over the course of 5 month that could not be rivaled. I jumped out of planes and off bridges, hiked mountains and swam in rivers, danced in nightclubs and went to museums. I made some of the best friends that I could ever ask for and traveled one of the greatest countries in the world.

Deciding to us the Education Abroad Network is the second best choice I made. They made the process so easy and their staff was there whenever you needed them, even throughout our time there. They organized several events, like a pre-semester trip to Fiji and tickets to rugby games, that helped to enhance my overall experience and I couldn't be more thankful for them through out the entire process.

If you're thinking about heading to this part of the world, I would 100% recommend this program, it will change your life.

The only thing I would change is the process of deciding on housing. A more descriptive explanation of the living accommodation and where they are located in relation to the school and the city.
Nneka

Thanks, TEAN, for the Experience of a Lifetime!

Most of my favorite memories were in New Zealand, and it was all thanks to TEAN. TEAN’s Orientation gave me a great first impression of TEAN. Fiji gave me a firsthand experience of life in the Pacific Islands. The cultural activities (e.g. kava ceremony) exposed me more to the indigenous culture, and I took in the beauty of the island by walking along the beach and hiking to a nearby village.

I was extremely happy with my living arrangements. My preferences were handled excellently by matching me with the perfect roommates, and my neighbors were friendly. One of my roommates fit my personality so much that we became long-lost friends, and I made mutual friends through my other two roommates. Housing was close to campus and near a grocery store, and the RAs and Kiwi mates were also available when we needed them, especially during earthquakes! Housing was one of the best parts of my time in New Zealand.

The TEAN-organized activities during my time in New Zealand made my experience an unforgettable one. Free front-row seat tickets to the All Blacks game and extravagant dinners made me love TEAN even more. Those activities gave me an artistic feel about New Zealand in general. I experienced the lifestyle of a New Zealander and observed the various elements (e.g. All Blacks haka dance) that made New Zealand a country that is one-of-a-kind.

The TEAN staff abroad made me feel right at home. They were always available and gave prompt responses in all situations. Additionally, they did follow-ups throughout the semester and gave group invites to popular spots in the area. They gave advice on how to make a memorable experience by recommending hot spots or popular events, such as the weekly cultural night markets in Wellington. I personally had fun and exciting times with some of the TEAN staff, and we even became lifelong friends. We hung out on several occasions, and our moments are some of the best highlights of my experience with TEAN in general!

Sarah

Unlike Anything I'll Ever Experience

My time abroad in Wellington, New Zealand was incredible from beginning to end. My flat and neighborhood was a great mix of locals and other traveling students from around the world. The city of Wellington was just a stroll away and provided entertainment day and night. Victoria University was also an amazing institution to work with and also meet some new life long friends. During my time there, there were plenty opportunities to take weekend trips and even travel to other countries or islands during spring break and at the end of the semester. I was able to travel to Australia for most of my spring break and then spend the last of it in New Zealand with locals hiking one of the nearby mountains and spending the night at a lodge at the top. Other trips were spent in the south island filled with bungee jumping, ice bars, climbing glaciers and more. The Education Abroad Network made this possible for me. Their enthusiasm and support helped me get exactly where I wanted to go and allowed me to do the things I've dreamed of.

This program went above and beyond to help their students have the best experience. They answered our questions within 24 hours, if not that same day, whether it be by phone or email. We always received reminders close to due dates and they kept a good checklist of where we stood throughout the process. Once it came time to meet each other, we all had a blast and they kept us organized throughout all plane rides. The only thing I wish they did provide was a last get together with all TEAN New Zealand students at the end of our semester. However, I understand that is difficult because depending on where you are in the country, your semester may end differently than others. Other than wanting to see some friends I once bonded so closely with, I couldn't have asked for a better program.
Kristen

Student Friendly Living in Wellington: Adventure in the Heart of the Capital

I loved Victoria University of Wellington. The school itself was always clean and easy to maneuver. The classes were varying sizes, which was great for me since I was used to variety at my home university as well. Also, although each professor did not have office hours like they do at my home university, they were all willing to make time out of their busy schedules to meet with me when I asked for a little extra help. Wellington itself was the absolute perfect city to be in as a student! It was safe, there were a lot of events that were free or cheap to attend, and there were constantly activities to do all around the area. I certainly never got bored! I left feeling like a true Kiwi, taking part in tramping trips and other exciting adventures on a daily basis.

TEAN IS THE BEST STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM OUT THERE!

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is the best study abroad program there is. It was a completely life changing experience. I got to travel to places I could never imagine going to and meet people from all over the world and our own country. I wouldn't have picked another program; the staff was so helpful, nice, and totally fun!
I studied in New Zealand and I was able to travel around New Zealand as well as attend trips to Fiji and Thailand which TEAN had organized. TEAN makes everything so easy, they plan everything out and you just show up and have an amazing time! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and you're crazy if you don't take the opportunity! I did more growing up in the last 5 months of my life than I have my whole time in college. Over the five months I spent in New Zealand I fell in love with the country and the people! Because of my time spent in New Zealand, it will always be a second home to me and hold a special place in my heart. I did things I never imagined I'd get the opportunity to. I made friends that I will keep for the rest of my life.
It's not your typical studying experience when you go abroad and TEAN knows how to make it worth every penny and make it the best experience possible! I was really nervous and scared before I left for my time abroad but that feeling left when I arrived and met the other TEAN program students as well as the staff. We did fun activities and got to "hangout" all day so that there wasn't even time to feel nervous or homesick. TEAN helped immerse us into the new culture and country really well. I wasn't home sick at all during my five months abroad.
I don't regret spending a single dime on this program nor my time abroad. I strongly recommend it to everyone!

Megan-

New Zealand with TEAN- Incredible Experience

I would encourage anyone looking into studying abroad in New Zealand to go and to go through The Education Abroad Network! My experience with TEAN and in New Zealand were nothing but positive. New Zealand was the perfect place for me to study abroad because it offered so many opportunities. My advice would be to grasp every opportunity that comes your way, even if it seems scary! I never thought I would white water raft down a waterfall, hike 50 miles or bungee jump, but I did all of those things and so much more. TEAN is a great program because they truly care about each individual student. I had so many questions before I went abroad and TEAN made sure every single one was answered. The staff know what they are doing and are fun to be around. They made me feel extremely comfortable in such a new situation as traveling to another country. The program makes sure you are getting the most out of your experience abroad, I know I left New Zealand with no regrets...except maybe having to leave :)

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...