TEAN: Study Abroad in Wellington, New Zealand

Reaching the end of the Southern Tasmanian coastline
Reaching the end of the Southern Tasmanian coastline
Mueller Hut in the early morning light
Mueller Hut in the early morning light
One of my favorite stops with my TEAN friends on our trip to Australia.
One of my favorite stops with my TEAN friends on our trip to Australia.
Kiwi Living
Cape Reinga

TEAN's partnership with Victoria University Wellington and Massey University - Wellington provides students the opportunity to study abroad in the 'Coolest Little Capital in the World' as voted by Lonely Planet. With two schools offered you can study almost any discipline while soaking up the vibe of New Zealand's art- and culture-focused capital.

The semester begins with an exciting 5-day Orientation Excursion in adventurous Queenstown on New Zealand's South Island where TEAN's in-country staff guide students through orientation sessions and an array of activities, including exploring Maori culture more deeply, jet boating along the Dart River or discovering the stunning Milford Sound.

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. It's an annual scholarship that can be used for any TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees and orientation (up to $15,000 value).

Kendall

Ideal City for anyone

Studying abroad with TEAN at Victoria University of Wellington has by far been the best decision I have ever made. The staff were extremely supported all the way through with occasional meetups with fun events. What truly made the experience was the bonds I made with my other TEAN and study abroad students. Everyone was up for anything and were just genuine good people who were looking to explore New Zealand. Wellington was perfect because you could be within the city or up in the hills or taking the ferry down to the South Island. Always something to do along Cuba Street, Courtenay Place, or just within the University Hall community. Each of the houses vary by design, but add to the charm of Wellington. The city is so unique with tons of hidden gems to stumble upon. Wellington has a special place in my heart.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I were to do study abroad in Wellington over again, I would have taken more pictures of the everyday sort of experience. I have loads of pictures from my weekend trips, but enough of the late nights of sitting around in our flats playing card games. My favorite memories our unpictured, but I guess that makes it that much sweeter.
Olivia

TEAN - The source of adventure and lifelong friendships

My experience with TEAN was extremely helpful and supportive. The people I met in the program became some of my best friends. The TEAN orientation for New Zealand, which brought together students from all of the New Zealand universities, was a huge highlight for me and gave me access to locations throughout New Zealand. Meeting people from all of the New Zealand universities gave me friends to stay with across New Zealand, and I ended up exploring the country with close friends I made there. Once we were moved in at our universities, TEAN was very good at being supportive to us and provided several memorable outings. The outings were really fun and allowed me to do activities and see places that I wouldn’t have seen otherwise. Overall, the TEAN staff and fellow students in my program were crucial to my wonderful experience abroad in New Zealand.

There is nothing I would change about my time with The Education Abroad Network.
Jessica

Amazing Experience in Wellington

I could not have picked a better program for me in choosing to study abroad in Wellington, New Zealand through TEAN. The program administration answered all questions I had beforehand, and was easy to reach once I got there. I also really enjoyed the orientation in Queenstown (where we got to see Milford Sound), and the sponsored events in my host city. The city itself had a great mix of urban and rural activities, there was always something to do. I definitely recommend checking out the farmer's market and the local chocolate factory! Victoria University had all the courses I needed for my major and I found the classes to be very interesting. It was easy to get involved through their club fairs and student hub events. I also found the locals as well as the overall culture to be very welcoming/ tolerant.

Be sure to take the weather into account, especially for planning hiking trips, in the colder months some of those trails may not be accessible!
Jill

Liveable City in a Beautiful Country!

Studying at Vic was a great experience! While never overwhelmed I was adequately challenge d and able to learn a lot about New Zealand in both a historical and modern context. My classes consisted mainly of local students and thus, were a great connection to an authentic experience. Wellington itself is a colorful and exciting city with countless restaurants, cafes, shops and museums despite being easily walkable. Located near the center of the country, it is the perfect home base for exploring the rest of New Zealand! I can attribute my comfort throughout this experience to TEAN for being so friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to help in virtually any way possible. Orientation was in perfect place to introduce us to the country and TEAN's involvement continued to be useful past that first week.

Sophie

Absolutely Incredible!

My overall educational experience at VUW was really amazing - the teachers were all incredibly accomplished and easily accessible and the classes themselves were interesting. In addition, the administrations of both VUW and TEAN were absolutely amazing. Everyone with whom I spoke was kind, knowledgable, and very willing to help. TEAN did a fantastic job of preparing me for the specific program, so I really had all the information I needed. The only thing is that I wish I had known how amazing the food was going to be in Wellington, because I would have budgeted more money per week to eating out.
In terms of opportunities, both TEAN and VUW provided experiences to interact with the culture. For example, during TEAN's orientation in Queenstown, the staff there had made arrangements for a professor from the University of Otago to come and teach us all about Maori culture. VUW offered many different events also related to Maori culture and discussion about it. Wellington itself is also a diverse and culturally rich city, with tons of different museums and cultural immersion opportunities. I felt very strongly that both TEAN and VUW encouraged participating in those opportunities, and I spent most of my off days doing so.
I loved TEAN, VUW, and Wellington and would recommend the program, the university, and the city to absolutely anyone.

I really have no feedback on improvement - TEAN seems to have worked out a fantastic application process and support system for students.
Avia

Victoria University in Wellington

Orientation was definitely a success! Surprisingly learned a lot in a short amount of time. The orientation leaders made it interactive and I actually ended up meeting my core group of friends after a small scale icebreaker game. Wellington as a city has been nothing short of an amazing place. Besides the big hill from town to Kelburn campus, which is most definitely a hike, everywhere is walking distance. I would definitely recommend studying in Wellington simply because it is the most accomodating New Zealand city for a study abroad student (its between Auckland and Queenstown so its a great fit for travellers during the school year, too!) As for Victoria University, it has been pretty accomodating thus far, although on the expensive side. School work isn't too demanding, leaving quite a lot of time to travel on weekends. I do wish that the school gym was free... that was a bummer. Then again, just getting groceries in town and coming back up the hill is the equivalent of leg and bicep day. Overall, I would HANDS DOWN recommend living in Wellington, especially University Hall housing. I live in a flat with six other students all from different countries. It has been a blast... can't wait to visit Wellington again!

Ellie

Aotearoa: Long white cloud

I had such an amazing experience with TEAN and my amazing host country, New Zealand. TEAN was amazing and provided me with so many resources to seek out scholarships and through there resources I applied with the NZ education department and received a stipend to do social media marketing and received a letter of recommendation from them in return.

TEAN provided me with a to the point orientation and were incredibly reachable but they also let me personalize my abroad experience and do my own personal travel.

NA
Kevin

I can't wait to go back! A true backpacker's dream!

Studying abroad in Wellington, New Zealand was the perfect fit for me for so many beautiful reasons. Going into studying abroad, I had very little idea where I wanted to go, and I am so glad I ended up in Wellington. The cool coffee capital culture of Wellington always seemed to amaze me. Wellington is the cultural capital of New Zealand and it shows, with many museums, live music bars, great coffee and restaurants and a bustling waterfront filled with many weekend markets. Living in Wellington never had a dull moment as there is so much to do in the city. Over the course of the semester, I attended a Diwali festival, a rugby game, and many concerts.
But New Zealand is much more than city life, the real fun comes from getting outside and exploring the completely gorgeous landscape. Almost every weekend, my friends and I would rent a car, for relatively cheap, and go "tramping", the kiwi term for hiking. As an avid outdoorsman, the scenery was one of the many reasons I chose New Zealand and I was not disappointed in the slightest. Every single trip was better than the last. A few highlights included staying in the famous Mueller Hut in Mount Cook National Park, a solo backpacking trip through the local forest range, and my own little hobbit pilgrimage to the fires of Mount Doom! Overall, planning and going on trips ranging from one day to two weeks were was my favorite part of my abroad experience.
Studying abroad with TEAN was also a great experience both before and during my time in New Zealand. Before arriving, there are so many different tasks that need to be completed including visas, class registration, housing, etc. But TEAN made it so easy. I was matched with one of their employees, who took me through all the various steps and eliminated so much hassle in the process. She answered the countless e-mails I sent to her very promptly and always had correct and timely information. While in New Zealand, TEAN's orientation helped us adjust to the initial culture shock of being abroad and was a good transition period that eased us into adjusting to living abroad. During the orientation, we learned to perform a Maori song and visited Milford sound, a highlight of my entire time abroad. Orientation also acted as a great time to create a network of students to visit in the other cities when making future travel plans! After arriving in Wellington, the TEAN students came together for three activities, a rugby game, a trip to Weta Workshop and a tour of a bird ecosanctuary. Overall, I would highly recommend studying abroad in Wellington, especially with TEAN. My only request to you if you do go is taking me with you!

TEAN is a great program and I do not see any areas for drastic improvement.
Jessica

Adventure Awaits

New Zealand has always been a country I wanted to visit. After seeing pictures of sweeping, breathtaking landscapes and hearing of the wonderful people and culture, it was never a question of "if" I'll go, but "when". The decision I had to make was whether I would visit at some point later on in life for a couple of weeks fitting in as much of the sights as possible, or take a risk spending a full 5 months living so far away from home in the hopes of getting even more out of my time there. Boy, am I glad I picked the latter. Having the time to fully explore, live, and learn in the capital city of Wellington at Massey University was such a fantastic and positive experience. The city is bursting with vibrant art and culture with nothing more than a half hour walk away at most. You have the high-energy city experience while still being able to escape the bustle when needed with the suburbs just outside downtown. Wellington also serves as a great jumping off point to travel around the two islands to see even more stunning scenery with it being so centrally located. TEAN also did a phenomenal job ensuring that our transition went as smoothly as possible and providing us with the necessary resources to make the most of our experience there. If you're looking for a place to study that is so different and exciting yet able to be so completely welcoming serving as a home-away-from home, Wellington is your place.

- More comprehensive academic orientation through host university
- Easier transportation outside of city limits
Shannon

How Wellington won my Heart

The Education Abroad Network helped me realize my dream to study abroad and live in New Zealand. They are a steadfast network dedicated to helping students travel and study in new environments and the relationship that T.E.A.N. has with Victoria University of Wellington is strong. I felt safe, supported, and excited during my time in New Zealand. I loved the university and felt excited to go to classes and engage with my peers. Wellington is a gorgeous city and is full of students and international people. It is situated on the coast and is an easy access point to travel from. There is literally always something to do in Wellington and kiwis are really friendly people once you get to talking. One of my favorite memories was meeting a kiwi mother on a plane and talking to her for five minutes before she asked me hold her baby for her while she was in the bathroom! Kiwis (New Zealanders) are one of a kind, special people. You will be interested in courses, you will have time to travel, and you will feel beyond grateful for all the sights you will see! I would do anything to be back in New Zealand. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone! It's well worth the ride :)

Kayla

'Not all those who wander are lost'- J. R. R. Tolkien

I love to travel, and I hope that never changes. Coming to New Zealand has made me realize how much I love to travel for an extended period of time. Backpacking around is fun and all, and I love that too, but I loved meeting the people here, spending time with the Kiwi's learning the Maori Culture, taking classes, going to food stores, and being fully immersed in a culture the way that you can never experience in only a few days or weeks at a time.

In new zealand I became an adventurer, I bungee jumped, horse trekked, white&black water rafted, rock climbed, kayaked, biked, swam, and splunked (caving). 5 hour hikes became the normal everyday. I hiked across beaches, valleys, and forests through caves and rivers, over mountains, down ravines, through rain, snow, and sunshine. New Zealand turned me into an adventurer. It make me say 'yes' to experiencing new things, trying new foods, and talking to new people. So on my last week in new Zealand when a friend asked me to go on a 5 hour hike, I did it mostly barefoot, and when I found the most perfect patch of moss along the hike, I laid on it and felt like frodo waiting for gandelf to walk by and have a chat. I have never felt more like a Kiwi, than I had at that moment. It explains their relaxed nature, and love for the outdoors, with just a tweak of 'Tolkien' hidden in the magical-ness of the image.

Katherine

The Best Way to Learn and Grow

Wellington was the most amazing host city! It was so cultured, and the perfect size to explore and navigate. It is nestled right in a harbour, and is the most unique city I have ever been to! If you have a love for coffee and cafes like I do, Wellington is the perfect place for you! Not to mention it was an ideal location for traveling the rest of the country. And I was so glad I had TEAN encouraging me to make the most of my time abroad! They were amazing at communicating with me and handled everything and anything you could ever imagine!

One of my favorite memories is a road trip my housemates and I went on to go hiking on the Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk track. Everything about the weekend was great- stopping in little towns to explore, hiking around a picturesque lake with light snowfall, and really getting to know my roommates. It was a time that I can look back on as a way to remember that adventure is the best way to learn and grow. The experiences to have abroad are truly life changing and I wouldn't have changed anything I encountered during my time studying in New Zealand. Being able to travel is invaluable and college is the best time to do it! I've always believed that there is nothing better than getting college credits for traveling and learning about a new culture, and I still stand by that statement.

It hard to come up with improvements for TEAN. They did so well preparing me before I started me journey halfway across the world, and they maintained a connection with me throughout my time abroad. I'm so happy that I chose them to be my guides throughout this whole process.
Kirsty

I'm so glad I didn't pick Europe

All my best friends went to Europe and a lot of them questioned why I chose New Zealand. However, two seconds in Fiji and I knew I had made the right choice. 73 college students on an island all about to spend the next six months together there really is no easier way to make friends! None of which would have been possible without TEAN. Prior to even stepping foot in New Zealand The Education Abroad Network reassures you 100% that they will be there to help you as much as you need it throughout your semester. Even someone who considers them self as independent it would reassuring to know that 10,000 miles away from home there was help if I needed it.

I literally wouldn't change anything.
Emily

Take Me Back to the Most Beautiful Place in the World

My abroad experience will absolutely have a lasting impact on my life. Choosing to study abroad in New Zealand with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) was one of the best decisions of my life. The staff is incredibly helpful and supportive; they made the transition into kiwi life a breeze. I always heard that New Zealand had the reputation of being the extreme sports capital of the world, and that was intimidating. After spending 5 and a half months in this amazing country, I can honestly say that New Zealanders live up to this rep. From the laid-back outgoing people to the endless opportunities for adventure, New Zealand knows how to go extreme. TEAN prepared us from the beginning by pushing us right into this aspect of kiwi culture. We went zorbing down a massive hill and had an intense trip white water rafting. TEAN's preparation inspired me to keep the thrill alive. Following my orientation, I spent the next months hiking, bungee jumping, paragliding, and much more. I explored all that Wellington and New Zealand had to offer. If you want to explore the world and adventure through some of the most beautiful places, New Zealand is the destination for you! If you want a staff that is supportive 100% of the time, TEAN is the program for you!! Thank you TEAN for giving me a trip I will never forget.

I cannot honestly think of a more perfect trip. TEAN did an amazing job prepping us for our time abroad. With a relaxing getaway to Fiji and an informative orientation in Auckland, TEAN helped me immerse myself into kiwi culture. I only wish I could have stayed in NZ forever.
Danielle

The Education Abroad Network opened my eyes to the world of travel

It is hard to put into just a few sentences what a great impact my experience in New Zealand through the Education Abroad Network had on my life. The people I met, places I traveled, and experiences I gained were absolutely incredible.
The staff at the TEAN office were extremely helpful from the beginning. They were always available and willing to help with every step of the process from acquiring a visa, to selecting classes to take the university, and even with packing tips.
My abroad journey began with an orientation in Auckland followed by an amazing trip to Fiji. Throughout orientation we learned about New Zealand culture and started to get a feel of what it was like to become a member of their society.
I could not be happier with my decision to study at Victoria University in Wellington. Wellington is the coolest little capital with mountains, city, and water all wrapped into one. There were always new places to eat, shop, and explore.
Studying at the university was also a great experience. I was placed into classes full of Kiwi students, allowing me to make other friends besides other international students. I learned about New Zealand history and the country's larger position in the world and it was truly an eye opening experience.
I would not trade my experience in Wellington New Zealand for anything in the world. I learned so much throughout the whole process and now hope to be able to travel to more beautiful countries in the future.