The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Study in Christchurch, New Zealand

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Study in Christchurch, New Zealand

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship 2018
The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. The scholarship can be used for any Summer or Fall 2018 TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees, orientation and housing (up to $26,000 value).

After surviving several earthquakes in 2011, Christchurch is no longer the quaint town it used to be but, as the country’s third largest city, reinventing itself as a thriving community based on innovation and design. The University of Canterbury is known for its comprehensive offerings and engineering programs while Lincoln University, just 30 minutes away, is a leader in environmental studies, research and sustainability. Additionally, as the gateway to the South Island, students are close to some of the world’s most stunning natural beauty and adrenaline-inducing activities.

The semester begins with an exciting 5-day Orientation Excursion in adventurous Queenstown on New Zealand's South Island where TEAN's in-country staff guide students through orientation sessions and an array of activities, including exploring Maori culture more deeply, jet boating along the Dart River or discovering the stunning Milford Sound.

Oceania » New Zealand » Christchurch
Oceania » New Zealand
Statement of Purpose
Letters of Recommendation

Colleen
Lincoln University

TEAN New Zealand Semester Abroad

My experience working with staff at the TEAN program was nothing short of awesome. Everyone at this organization is so well-versed in what they do and know such specific things about each program that their ability to help students is top-notch. Studying abroad is a pretty big decision and absolutely stressful when the process first begins. However, TEAN was so helpful and answered every single question I could muster up, and managed to get me excited about this amazing experience I was about to have. I would have to say my favorite thing was having an on-sight TEAN advisor. My advisor was actually born and raised in New Zealand and attending graduate school so she was super helpful when it came to travel advice in the area, any questions I ever had about the way their universities worked there, and even just what hikes she liked or coffee shop she recommended. I haven't stopped thinking about my semester abroad since I've come home, and it's been about a year now since I started the application process. I made life-long friends, which I was honestly super nervous about at first, but it was so easy. Every single student going through TEAN that I met at orientation was so excited to be there and so adventurous and accepting; we were all in the same boat, trying to meet people and have fun, so it was so easy to make friends. My friends that I met at Lincoln University are absolutely, without a doubt, life-long friends now. Living in an international section was probably the best decision I made because I got to meet people from literally all around the world. I was traveling the incredible and beautiful country of New Zealand with American, Norweigian, Dutch, German, Swedish, and Brazilian friends. Who could have even imagines that? It was so surreal, and I wish I could relive every single second of my semester in New Zealand. I always felt like I had a safety net with in-person help from TEAN as well as over the phone and online as well. They were always there in the background which was amazing, and I was still able to explore and travel and be adventurous without being held back. Overall, I would 110% recommend this program to anyone looking to get out there and adventure a little bit; you won't regret choosing this program!!

No improvements necessary!

Sarah
Lanoka Harbor
University of New Hampshire

Too amazing for words.

Worthwhile is an understatement when describing my time abroad. Although it may sound cliche, I absolutely feel like I grew and changed as a person during my time abroad. I came back to the US more confident, cultured, and with a new outlook on life. Traveling through TEAN allowed me to make friends, see incredible sights, and make unforgettable memories. I wish I would have relaxed more from the start; TEAN had helped me every step of the way leading up to my departure and then some, but like most students I was still worried about meeting people and being away from home. But from the second my program started, I had the opportunity to make amazing friends and memories! If I could do it all over again, I would choose TEAN every time.

I honestly don't know how it could get any better!

Molly
Oxford, Ohio
Miami University

An Adventurer's Paradise

Studying abroad in New Zealand I knew was going to be a once in a lifetime experience. Studying in Christchurch in the South Island not only opened me up to an endless amount of outdoor opportunities but also allowed me to experience a wealth of beautiful geography from glaciers to fiords to numerous national parks. TEAN really helped me to become adjusted to the time zone and what New Zealand was going to be like during our week in Fiji with excellent Kiwi leaders and the most relaxing beaches in the world. TEAN orients everyone studying in New Zealand together which allowed me to make friends all over the country who I then visited during my experience, making travel a lot more accessible. As prepared as I was, really getting out into the country and experiencing the outdoors first hand allowed me to appreciate nature further and advance my outdoor education. But along with all the traveling I was able to accomplish, living in Christchurch provided me with a unique experience. Christchurch is deep in the recovery of a devastating earthquake an eye opening sight that my professors were able to incorporate into their lectures by giving real life New Zealand examples to the theories we were learning in class. It made my studying part of being abroad that much more special and close to the place to which I was learning. Living in Christchurch allowed me to hike almost every weekend and living in Ilam helped me meet people from all over the world. Studying abroad truly pushed me to try new things, meet new people, and experience numerous adventures.

If I had to improve one thing it would be to have had more information on Christchurch as a city in recovery and the opportunities that presents.

Megan
Vermont
Green Mountain College

New Zealand. No Regrets

My favorite experience that I would recommend to do while in New Zealand is rent an old VW kombi van, take some good friends and do a two week road trip around one of the islands over a term break. I did this and it was my absolute fondest memories that I have from my time in New Zealand.

Kaden
Salt Lake City, Utah
University of Utah

A New Adventure

I had a great time while I was in Christchurch. I learned so much while I was there. While I was there, I was able to work with other people who are passionate about the weather. The hands on experience that I gained is invaluable and beneficial.
I enjoyed the laid back nature and being able to communicate what I found to many people. I felt like I could accomplish a lot before I left, and I did.

Erik
Klamath Falls, Oregon
North Carolina State University

Couldn't Have Chosen a Better Program than TEAN!

TEAN is a great comprehensive and fun-loving program overall. The fun-loving attitude applies to all the TEAN staff and to the other students who choose TEAN as well. You can't go wrong with the activities and the pre-semester excursion to Fiji (for the TEAN NZ crowd) at the beginning of the program either. It was a great way to kick off a great start to a great program.
After being introduced to the magnificent TIM TAM (chocolate coated cookie goodness) by the wonderful TEAN staff at my Auckland orientation, my time in NZ just kept getting better. I met my four kiwi flat mates once I arrived in Christchurch. Once we got over our differences of what the word barbeque meant, we become pretty good friends and I had a great time learning all about kiwi culture from them. After studying hard the first half of the semester and becoming accustomed to unique vibe in Christchurch, I found myself back with some more TEAN students on the Thailand mid-semester trip. It doesn't get much better than laying on a beach or bartering for souvenirs in a market with lots of like-minded, adventurous college students while eating Thai food and then going to feed an elephant its lunch of several whole watermelon. Not only were all of those activities obviously tremendously fun, but in doing so, we learned about Thai culture as well as the sustainable eco-tourism at the elephant preserve.
TEAN, by being the study abroad program that it is, makes learning relevant to not only your traditional coursework at your home university, but they make learning relevant to yourself, to your own community, and to the rest of the world. This aspect of TEAN is what makes them such a great overall program. And, even better than that, it was just a fun overall program that made me sad to leave it behind.

Elizabeth
Williamstown, MA
Williams College

Adventure in New Zealand!

Kiwis are pretty quiet, so you have to go out of your way to make friends with them. There's a big drinking/party culture, so if you're into that it's an option. I preferred to get outside and go tramping (hiking) and adventuring, so I joined my local church's tramping club. It's pretty easy to travel around New Zealand, but it can be expensive. Bookme.co.nz is a great option to get discounts on adventures like hang-gliding, kayaking, and ziplining. I would definitely recommend bringing lots of outdoor gear, since tramping is the best way to get to know people and see New Zealand's beautiful landscapes at the same time.

It would have been nice to have a local staff member in Christchurch, where I was going to Uni. I also would have liked less downtime at the beginning of the program, and more at the end, since I was more confident and willing to travel after the semester was over.

Erin
Massachusetts
University of Canterbury

Amazing Experience Abroad!

I learned so much while I was abroad and I am so thankful to have made the decision to go. I got to explore a really fascinating culture that on the surface didn't look too different from my own but surprised me in the subtle differences on many levels. I also was exposed to a new perspective of my own country as seen from abroad and it was eye-opening to see how other people viewed America.

Alyssa
Doylestown, PA
Delaware Valley College

An adventure in mind.. and so much more!

From the get-go, TEAN made the 'getting there' process completely fool-proof. I was in constant contact with them finding out all the steps I needed to complete, and they basically handled everything for me in terms of sorting things out with Lincoln. The staff could not have been any better, were always friendly and helpful, and answered any and all questions I had.

The pre-semester trip to Fiji was truly a once in a lifetime experience, and the memories and friends I made there with the other TEANers will last me a lifetime. From snorkeling to hiking to the local village, all I have to do is think about it and i'm right back on the island with all my friends.

Orientation in Auckland was incredible, and we were able to not only develop our relationships with eachother, but also with the TEAN staff that accompanied us. This lasted througough the entire semester, and if we ever needed anything, we had only to call up one of the TEAN staff in NZ.

Licoln is a small ag school, very comparable to my home college, and I loved it. It isn't in the heart of a city, but rather just outside of Christchurch with one pub in town (the Famous Grouse is a must for some weekend drinking with mates!) and a short bus ride to Riccarton for shopping and the cinema. Or grab a bus into the city and spend a day wandering around, then go out to the pubs at night!

Farm Road flats were self-catered in a small community on campus, and I have no regrets about living there. It was a wonderful mix of international students from all over the world with heaps of kiwis as well, and everyone got along great. It was the convenience of living on campus with the independence of being on your own, and the grocery store was just a 15 minute walk from the flats for added ease. Classes were great, I loved all my professors and the library is incredible. Professors are willing to help with anything, and very personable. The study abroad offices were always helpful, and the international happy hours were always a fun time and a great way to meet some other international students!

If you're a city person looking for bars every night and big parties, Lincoln might not be the place for you, but if you are agricultural minded, or looking for a more low-key study abroad experience getting to know people and truly immersing yourself in a community in NZ, this could be the perfect fit. I would recommend TEAN every time to get you here, or to another uni in NZ, as they have so many to choose from and the pre-semester trips are always included!!

Alec
Iowa City, IA
University of Iowa

Find Yourself in New Zealand

Studying abroad has definitely been the most exciting and rewarding experience of my life. The lifelong friendships and unforgettable memories that I have made are irreplaceable. I don’t think that I could have had a better experience anywhere else or with anyone else.

I knew that I wanted to study abroad in New Zealand since I was in high school, and the only question I had was how I was going to get there. Looking back on it now I feel that the best decision I made regarding my entire abroad experience was making the decision to go with TEAN as a provider. The people at TEAN are extremely friendly and helpful. They really attempt and get to know their students and help them feel comfortable as much as they can.
I attended the pre-semester trip to Fiji, which was absolutely amazing and a perfect way to meet the other program members. The nervousness and anxiety that I felt on the flight over was immediately replaced with excitement once we arrived at our resort and I met the other TEAN students. The pre-semester trip and the orientation in Auckland made the transition to New Zealand and being abroad for the first time much easier.

I was originally studying at the University of Canterbury until the February 22 earthquake struck Christchurch and we ere forced to transfer. TEAN did an amazing job with helping us switch schools and made the transfer to Massey University in Wellington much easier for us. The support that TEAN provided us during this stressful time was outstanding. The people at TEAN really helped us feel comfortable and took care if us during the process of moving.

My experiences in Wellington were also amazing. I loved the city of Wellington and living in the Cube apartments made for easy and quick access to campus as well as downtown Wellington and the beachfront. Wellington is an awesome city with a lot of culture and art. Although Massey Wellington is particularly suited for design, fashion, or art students, I found my business classes to be very interesting and academically challenging. I enjoyed my time in Christchurch but I am very glad that I ended up going to school in Wellington. It was an amazing place with friendly people and I doubt I will ever live in a city as unique as Wellington. I will never forget my experiences in New Zealand and cannot wait to go back!

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and across Asia over the past two decades has allowed TEAN to become experts