ISA Study Abroad in Christchurch, New Zealand

Excelling in both teaching and research, and fostering professional excellence at every turn, the University of Canterbury is a great destination to study abroad. With a research-based teaching style and state-of-the-art facilities, the University of Canterbury has emerged as a leader in research, particularly in the fields of natural sciences, biology, ecology, forestry and geology. The South Island provides the university with an unparalleled natural laboratory for these sciences. Along with its ideal location, the University of Canterbury also allows students to investigate the natural sciences through five field stations, placed across the South Island.

Located in Christchurch, New Zealand, which is also known as the "Garden City," Christchurch offers many cultural and recreational opportunities from its vibrant nightlife to the national parks of the Southern Alps, just an hour away. Check out the ISA website for details about this amazing program!

In 2014, GlobaLinks Learning Abroad merged with International Studies Abroad (ISA), therefore, the GlobaLinks program reviews may not accurately reflect the new program structure, which has been greatly improved through the integration with ISA.

Jacob

I'm ready to go Baaaaa-ck

Studying in Christchurch, NZ was easily the greatest experience of my entire life. I was able to further my chemical engineering education in a unique system of challenging courses while having the opportunity to explore some of the most beautiful places in the entire world!! I met lots of Kiwis through classes and clubs that provided me with many authentic experiences. I helped out on a sheep farm, surfed, cheered on the local rugby team, drank heaps of flat whites, climbed mountains, and saw some incredible wildlife. Studying abroad in New Zealand provides an opportunity for growth on so many levels. I am so grateful for this experience as it has changed the entire scope in which I view life.

Erin

University of Canterbury Spring 2014

Studying in New Zealand through ISA was one of the best decisions I have ever made! ISA provided so many great opportunities to feel comfortable and be prepared. Upon arrival in New Zealand, the Bridging Cultures Program was essential in making me feel safe and ready to be abroad for 5 months. The educational and cultural seminars were lifesavers and I don't know what I would have done had those not been provided. Check ups with our on-site coordinator throughout the semester were pretty cool, a nice chance to debrief with everyone. I met some lifelong friends through ISA and was given some amazing travel options through the program too - I got to go to Australia for spring break! ISA is truly wonderful, affordable, and so helpful in preparing a student to have the experience of his/her life!

I would maybe have more interactive opportunities before leaving, perhaps be able to communicate with an alum that has been to the same place or have another webinar session? That really helped! So maybe another internet session while in the midst of applying and doing all of the visa stuff, and then the last webinar session before we leave to go abroad.
BriannaRose

Best experience of my life

Staying in Christchurch was a great base location for travelling as it was close to the airport and many popular locations (Fox/Franz Joseph glacier, Queenstown, Otago, etc.) The inner city itself is completely fenced off after the earthquakes a few years ago though and that area used to be the hub of club life and other entertainment. There are still a few bars around town that are easy to get to by bus, which leaves right from campus. I would still recommend staying in Christchurch even with the construction because it was very interesting to see the effects of such a horrible natural disaster and there were many classes offered to learn about it and the New Zealand environment. If you visit or stay in Christchurch a must see are the Container stores. They are in the center of the city right near the fenced off area. After the earthquake many stores moved their merchandise temporarily to large shipping containers. They have become a permanent fixture in the community though and are beautifully renovated with hard wood floors and multiple windows.
The apartments I stayed in were clean, new and the large compared to my on campus housing at home. The people were all very friendly and helpful with any questions I had. There is also a few grocery stores in walking distance which is nice because I do not recommend getting the meal plan, I hardly used it and the food was not that great. You have to stay in the study abroad housing, so it is a little difficult to meet the locals, but classes and going out at night helps that.

Really the only problem I had with Christchurch was that there was not much to do in the city, but I cant change that. If I had to change something, I would have stayed there a year instead of just 5 months!
kjn44

University of Canterbury

I really loved my experience while in Christchurch. It was a great place to travel from if you plan on doing a lot of that. It was also a very good experience to see the effects of a natural disaster and what they are doing to clean it up. The university was doing very good and there are a lot of different events put on for students to have a good time. The only problem with going to Christchurch is that you can't go into the CBD because it is all fenced off because of the damage from the earthquakes, and if you don't like aftershocks you may not like it here because you will most likely feel some if you spend at least a month or two here. Other than that the people are great and if I could do it again, I would in a heartbeat.

About ISA (International Studies Abroad)

As a leader in international education for thirty years, ISA is dedicated to providing university and college level students the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education...