Isthmus Peak
friends and sunsets!
Kawarau Bungy Jump
Farm Road Flats Party Bus
Sunrise at Sumner Beach

International students can study at Lincoln University and transfer your credit back to your degree at home.

Lincoln University excels in areas related to land and natural resource management and is renowned for its applied commerce degrees and industry-relevant programs.

Our rural location on the outskirts of Christchurch, the largest city in the South Island, is perfect for our land-based focus - giving students the best of both worlds.

The Study Abroad programme is available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students who meet Lincoln University's admission requirements. Depending on your academic background, you can choose from any of the courses within the faculties. You can enrol for one or two semesters on an independent basis, or as part of a Study Abroad programme.

Lincoln University has a strong sports club culture and our University Rugby Club are the current Senior Mens Christchurch Champions and have hosted a number of current and former All Blacks.

• Smaller semi-rural campus environment on the edge of the city.
  • Close proximity to the great outdoors - sking, hiking, biking, rock climbing, fishing, etc.
  • Experiential learning opportunities within many courses.
  • Approachable academic staff with a open door policy.
  • Multicultural campus with an international student population of 43%.

as far as I know they don't offer civil engineering. The major background of the Uni is agricultural. I hope I could help.

Kayla

My wonderful experience at Lincoln University

First off, make sure to give yourself an ample amount of time to travel to New Zealand prior to the beginning of classes. I gave myself three weeks and could have used more time honestly. If you're looking for a great touring company that will provide you with great sightseeing opportunities, adrenaline activities and tramping (hiking) stops check out Wild Kiwi.

If you want to travel solo, New Zealand is a great place to do so. Public transportation is a breeze and in my personal opinion hitchhiking is safe, preferably with a buddy. Dispersed throughout New Zealand are affordable hostels and backpackers where you meet the best of people, don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and engage in conversation with fellow travelers, you won't regret it.

Now for the school part, compared to my personal experience back home I would say the class sizes, academics and grading scale vary drastically. Classes at Lincoln are very small which can be good and bad, the teachers get to know you and will go out of their way to help but once they know you're international, they will pick on you (not in a bad way). I've also noticed that academically the classes are a wee bit more intense in the sense they go into greater detail. A personal struggle is that I do not come from a farming background whereas the majority of students at Lincoln do and I felt as if I was way behind in both my nutrition and dairy class going into the class. In saying this, with plenty of readings provided by the professors and speaking to the lecturers following class, I was able to catch up. The classes are extremely educational and are taught by intelligent professors (Jim-Nutrition & Pablo-Dairy). Lecturers teach so you understand the content and can use it practically following university, not just to pass the class. For my university back home (Colorado State University) my grades from Lincoln come back as either pass or fail. The grading scale at Lincoln is unlike that of CSU's. The grading scale is such as; 100-90=A+ 89-85=A 84-80=A- 79-75=B+ 74-70=B 69-65=B- 64-60=C+ 59-55=C 54-50 C- all considered passing with anything lower being a failing grade. Although this sounds extremely easy, there are on average only a total of four grades in the grade book, each assignment heavily weighted.

Tips/things you should know
- If you're flatting on campus, Farm Road flats are the way to go. They are four bedroom flats with a common living room, kitchen, bathroom and washer/dryer. They are only a 7-9 minute walk from the center of campus.
- DO NOT wait until the last week to finish large assignments
- Travel on the weekends when possible, busses are fairly priced. Cars are reasonably cheap but depending on how long you stay it may not be worth it (petrol, maintenance, WOF, Reg.)
- Get involved (Tramping and Climbing Club, weightlifting, LUSA)
- Don't be afraid to ask for help, there are plenty of resources provided by the school
- Fashion is not a big deal in New Zealand, comfort is. I only wore make-up and got dressed up a handful of times when we went into town. With saying this, the university does put on dance so make sure to bring at least one semi-formal outfit.
- Lincoln is farther from the city center than I expected (1:15 by bus and 25-30 by car). In the lincoln township, there are the necessities such as a grocery store, a few pubs, a small pharmacy, a small police station, a post office, a hardware store, 2 hairdressers and a handful of restaurants.
- Everyone goes out of Wednesday since that's when students get their money from the government. The Famous Grouse and The Yaldy are the closest pubs to Lincoln. The drinking age in New Zealand is 18 but they are very strict with this so be sure to bring your passport or get a Kiwi Access card, you can NOT use your driver's license from outside of New Zealand. When you're purchasing alcohol they check everyone's ID so make sure everyone has appropriate identification on them.

Last thing to be said, although it is a ton of fun and I would highly recommend studying abroad you do have to study in order to pass.

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest of moments during my experience would have to be all the times I said "huh" when a kiwi (New Zealander) spoke to me. The amount of phrases they have that differ from that in the states is mind blowing. The first two weeks of being in New Zealand I learned the phrase "sweet as" which is pretty simple and is similar to "cool" or "awesome" but little did I know that it is "sweet as" and not "sweet ass". My friends let me say it wrong for over two weeks until finally a kiwi in passing informed me of my mistake. This was quite embarrassing because I used that phrase non stop before being told and can't imagine the amount of people I said it to. A common thing done in New Zealand is to add "as" to the end of a word such as, ''cool as", "fun as" and "expensive as". Also people will say "yeah nah yea" which is like yes, I was told that whatever they end on is what they mean so if someone said "yeah nah" that would be nah. There are plenty of phases you will be familiarized along your travels. To name a few; cut the shape=to dance, can't be bothered or can't be f**cked= don't want to, chips=french fries, crisps=potato chips, gum boots=similar to rain boots but usually have red bands around top and bottom, stubbies= short shorts (mostly worn by guys), togs=swim suit, dusted/pissed/munted=drunk, dodgy= sketchy/unsafe, heaps= a lot, kai= Moari word for food, etc.
Peter

Study Abroad at Lincoln University, New Zealand

My time at Lincoln University was very nice. I met many great people and learned a lot about the country and the culture. I decided to take 100 level courses to have time to travel around New Zealand. Despite the fact that there is an exchange program between my home university and Lincoln, it was not possible for me to transfer my credits and take the courses I would usually take in Germany.

Nevertheless, I have learned a lot in my courses and was able to broaden my horizons and improve my English skills. I can recommend the MAST course because it gives a very good insight into the culture of the Maori and the history of New Zealand. All in all, I do not regret the time I spent in New Zealand. I can recommend Lincoln University and I think my experience with the difficulties of transferring credits is an exception.

Discover New Zealand. The land is amazing and it offers so much. Experience 100% nature. Go for a swim in hot springs, walk through rainforests, experience the Maori culture and have fun.
Marie

Review Study Abroad at Lincoln University

I have really enjoyed the months I have been in New Zealand. I'm so happy with everything I have experienced here and all the travelling I have done. It is perfect for people who love nature, outdoor activities and hiking. It is such a beautiful country with really nice, outgoing and helpful people.
Lincoln University is a small, but good university. There was a lot of organized events in the beginning, giving you the chance to meet new people and get to know Lincoln. This is something I really appreciated. The vibe here makes it easy to make new friends. I am also happy with my lecturers, which have been very helpful and understanding. There has been no problem asking questions or wanting more explanation. The support system on campus is also very good. It is easy to get help with writing and assignments etc. As an exchange student are you also included in everything on Lincoln.

Buy a car! It will be so much easier to travel around. Also, bring warm clothes! None of the houses on campus has insulation, it gets really cold here when it is not summer.
Marie

Review Study Abroad at Lincoln University

cameron

Lincoln University: A perfect mix of work and play

The time at Lincoln has been stimulating both academically and culturally. The opportunity for adventure in this country is readily available and affordable. You truly feel at home here.
The workload for me personally was less than I anticipated for three classes. I enjoyed the extra free time by adventuring around the country, finding some of the best fly fishing rivers I've ever experienced. Although the classes were more laid back than my classes in the U.S. I still think this university offers stimulating course content accompanied by exceptional instructors. The small size of the university means more time to get to know your professors and learn from them outside of class. I think the balance between free time and work load here was perfect. The country offers unbound wilderness accompanied by access for all experience levels. If you like beaches sun and sand this is a place for you. If you like night life this is a place for you. If you like being alone in the mountains this is a place for you.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Bungee jumping, just jump. I stood over the edge looking down 200 feet at a river, trusted my gear, and jumped. Highly recommend.
Anna
No, I don't recommend this program

Study Abroad

"Lincoln University is a rural university in-between paddocks. "

I have had subjects at one hundred level to have more time to travel, which has not been problematic at all. The lecturers are committed and good at their subject areas, but it does not seem like they have an intention to promote the student and their motivation to learn so that one can perform its best. Lincoln University is a university for you who are eager to get a semester of travel, not to gain academic weight!

I stayed at Farm Road which houses most of the exchange students. The quality of the dwellings is variable, with a general lack of insulation. So bring warm clothes. The flats are in walking distance to the university and are facilitated so people can easily get to know each other, a nice thing when you are all new in a foreign country.

Think through what kind of expectations you have in pre-hand, and try to seek if the University has does requirements. Research is your best friend and ask other people at your home university for more personal experience. Otherwise, bring a lot of warm clothes, be outgoing and bye a car - it will enrichen your stay.
Jennifer

Amazing experience!

New Zealand is an amazing country that I would recommend anyone to travel to. It's perfect if you like hiking or pretty much any outdoor activity. Only a 30 minute car ride away you have several hikes to chose between.Lincoln University is a small university where it is easy to make new friends. There are a lot exchange students and many organized activities in the beginning of the semester where you get to meet people from all over the world. Living at farm road is amazing! You have all your friends right next door, so I would really recommend staying at Farm Road when going on exchange here. The teachers really care about you and want to help you and most classes are not very big so you can really create a relationship with your teachers and other students. I have felt so welcomed by everyone I met!

I would really recommend buying a car since it is hard to explore this country without it.
Selina

Study Abroad at Lincoln University, New Zealand

Studying in Lincoln enriched my study time and I'm glad I did this exchange semester. Right from the start when I was picked up at the airport I felt welcome. It is easy to settle down in Lincoln as it is a small campus and everyone is really nice and helpful. Don't miss out on Orientation Week as they offer some cool events and activities which were quite fun and it is the best opportunity to get to know other exchange students. I met great people and had just an amazing time. I can really recommend to buy a car as it is a lot easier to get around here. There is a bus station at Uni but the public transport system isn't good. Cars are really cheap here and it is so much fun to explore the area. I bought a car with a friend I met on campus and together we travelled the South Island during the semester on weekends and the North Island during our 3 week mid semester break and had a blast. Christchurch is only half an hour drive away and there are a lot of possibilities for some day trips and hikes around. New Zealand is a great country for nature lovers and it really doesn't matter where you go here you will find some great places everywhere.

Bring warm cloths! If it is cold outside it will be cold in your flat as well (farm road) as the flats are not insulated at all.
Yvonne

An amazing experience in nz

i have been here for three months. New Zealand is such a nice place and Lincoln University is such a warm big home for students from all over the world. Warm and friendly people, beautiful environment, good studying and academic atmosphere,all things make me feel like at home. Before i came here, i asked somebody came here before how did she feel the life in New Zealand and she answered, amazing. Now i also want to say it's really an amazing experience !Almost totally different studying made me feel a little upset, but thanks to the patience of the teachers and the kinds of schoolmates. i don not feel so difficult of it now even though it is still quite a challenge. I found the studying is really interesting which makes me so happy. Also, i travelled South Island with my friends here.It is a really wonderful trip that i will never forget in the future.

What was your funniest moment?
one day i want to get off from the bus and i told the driver i wanted to take off at next crossing......and the driver asked, do u mean get off ?i said, yes, yes. so can i take off at the next crossing ?
Jiachen

A good and challenging experience

Lincoln University is a really good university. The teachers here are really nice and I can get a lot of help from tutors. I have learnt many things here. But the study is a little hard for me because English is my second language and sometimes it is difficult to understand the words that others said. The homework is hard for me,too. I need to study very hard. But it is worth to do that as I have improved myself a lot.
The activities and scenes here are really nice and I enjoy them. I met many friends,too. During the break this term,I went to Queenstown and Tekapo. The sceneries here are really nice. The food is tasty and delicious, especially the hamburger in Queenstown. I tried sky diving,too. Terrible,but excited. I was stressed all the time, but after I tried it,I felt really good.
So it is a good and challenging experience.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I had never ate rhubarb cake before I came here. It tastes nice and a little strange. When I first ate it,I felt very happy.
Lili

Small But Mighty!

Coming to Lincoln University was a life changing experience. As an avid hiker, photographer, and traveler, at first I was skeptical about going to a school as small as Lincoln University, thinking I would not be able to get out of my studies to go see the country. However, at Lincoln, I met friends and had the support required to get out and see the country as much as I could! Lincoln has such a small-town feel to it, which means that you get to know everyone around you really well; it's like your big University family! I barely missed home, as I had created a home here. Small class sizes mean that you are not a number, and courses may offer field trips - even more incentive to come to this Uni. Lincoln has so many clubs that it is easy to make friends, like the Tramping and Climbing Club, or various International Clubs. LUSA (the student organisation) makes events that involve the entire community, whether it is a concert, an International Food festival, or workshops. Plus, the off-campus life is amazing! We are a 30 min drive/bus from Christchurch, an AWESOME city filled with culture, art and history. We are so close to tramping tracks such as Arthur's Pass and Hamner Springs. It is really easy to rent/buy a car here! Living here is easy, fun and relaxing. I love Lincoln Uni!

What was your funniest moment?
Watching as a kea demolished my backpack to try and get an apple on the Ben Lomond track near Queenstown! Those birds are quirky, intelligent, and love to eat whatever they can get their claws on (which meant my lunch at the time)!
Annika

Studying abroad at Lincoln

I loved studying abroad here at Lincoln! everything was amazing, from the people I met, to the help provided by faculty, the proximity to Christchurch and Arthurs pass and everything in between! This school was small and had a very home environment, I felt welcome and had the support I needed if I needed any! I would recommend this school and New Zealand in a heartbeat! I found buying a car made my experience much better as it allowed me to explore much more of the country than I would have been able to if I did not have a car and had to rely on busses or other people. New Zealand is a great place to come if youre into hiking, fishing or being outdoors in general! Lincoln is so close to Arthurs pass which has so many versatile day hikes and overnight tramps. The fishing in Arthurs pass and New Zealand in general is amazing and the landscape is absolutely stunning anywhere you look!

Buy a car! I bought a car with 2 other people and got so much use out of it! you can get a car for super cheap here and it makes thing very accessible!
Dennis

Try something new.

Flying in to Lincoln i was expecting 3 things. New friendships, exceptional adventures in the wild, and a different perspective on the academic world and my profession in particular. And i got all three of them!

Going away for a semester puts you in a brilliant position to test out your personality in a completely fresh environment. It's surprising how much you can actually gain from this if you stay open and positive towards all the challenges you'll meet. Because you will be met with people and situations different from what you are used to. It'll broaden your perspectives and make you grow as a person.

Academically i have to say that i'm rather disappointed. I was prepared for it to be different, but i really only experience it to be unambitious. The structure of the learning environment seems stuck and doesn't leave much room for the students to be part of the forming of the courses. A critical approach from the students is not embraced, which creates a fake form of authority, which can leave the student rather helpless. Poor decisions are being made on a lot of structural levels, but happens in the classroom as well.
Not to say that all of this has not been useful. I've learned a lot about what it'll say to have a healthy study environment, and made me appreciate my university at home even more.

Taking it easy on the studies have left a lot of room for me to explore the country, which i don't think i'll have to explain much further. It's simply magnificent! Buy a cheap car and get out there!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Stay off the campus accommodation, it's extremely expensive and terribly insulated. You will be cold if you stay here (farm road). Instead i'd try to arrange accommodation with other exchange students outside of campus. Facebook will make this possible to arrange prior to arriving. You have no option to move out once you already settled in campus accommodation without being penalised.
Lydia

Lincoln is Sweet As Bro!

Lincoln has exceeded my expectations of studying abroad. I have met so many kiwis and international students who I have shared my adventures with over the past few months. Coming from the US, I was glad that I would not have to learn how to speak a new language. However, I enjoyed learning all the different kiwi sayings that always make me smile. Campus is small but pretty especially during the rainy season. I will miss seeing all of my animal friends such as the hen, rabbits, and sheep. Lincoln is 30 minutes from Christchurch and 1 hour from some great tramping spots that are great for weekend trips. I have enjoyed trying New Zealand snacks such as Whittaker's chocolate, Bluebird chips, and pies. Lincoln has become my new home and it will be sad to leave at the end of the semester.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I went bungee jumping at the Kawarau bridge outside of Queenstown!
Elin Walaker

Study Abroad in Lincoln

My first impression with Lincoln University was that they were really helpful. The professors helped me a lot with choosing courses, and also the accomodation office arranged for transfer from the airport to my flat. It was a lot of activites the first days and it was easy to get to know people. In general, everybody wants to get to know everybody, so making friends was not a problem. The professors in most of my courses were really helpful, and was good at lecturing. What I was surprised by was how many test, quizzes and assignments you had to do during the semester, but I have learned that it is a good way of continually learning.

I also bought a car with a friend I made the first week, and together we have travelled a lot. I really recommend to buy a car, cause it is way easier to get around then. When the fall and winter came, it got really cold in the flats, so remember to bring some wool and warm clothes!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would allow more time to travel after the semester. Even though I am going to Fiji for one week after, I would like to use the opportunity I have being here now, better.

Alumni Interviews

About Lincoln University

Established in 1878, Lincoln University has been a key contributor to the primary industries that sit at the core interests of the New Zealand economy. Ranked 317th in the world , and the top 50 in Agriculture and Forestry (QS Rankings), we are the...