Study Abroad at Lincoln University, New Zealand

International students can study at Lincoln University and transfer your credit back to your degree at home.

Lincoln University excels in areas related to land and natural resource management and is renowned for its applied commerce degrees and industry-relevant programs.

Our rural location on the outskirts of Christchurch, the largest city in the South Island, is perfect for our land-based focus - giving students the best of both worlds.

The Study Abroad programme is available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students who meet Lincoln University's admission requirements. Depending on your academic background, you can choose from any of the courses within the faculties. You can enrol for one or two semesters on an independent basis, or as part of a Study Abroad programme.

Lincoln University has a strong sports club culture and our University Rugby Club are the current Senior Mens Christchurch Champions and have hosted a number of current and former All Blacks.

Lincoln offers a range of specialized programs in the following subject areas:
  • Agricultural Science
  • Tourism Management
  • Sports and Recreation Management
  • Environment Management & Policy
  • Informatics: Information Technology, Agritech and GIS
  • Science: Biosecurity, Conservation & Ecology, Food Science, Land, Water and Environment, Water Management
  • Viticulture and Oenology
  • smaller semi-rural campus environment on the edge of the city
  • close proximity to the great outdoors - sking, hiking, biking, rock climbing, fishing etc .....

as far as I know they don't offer civil engineering. The major background of the Uni is agricultural. I hope I could help.

WENXUE

NEW ZEALAND

Studying here is interesting and make me happy, but sometimes i am confused and need more support and tolerance.I like the life in New Zealand and i want to go to more places in New Zealand. besides,the air and the environment here is great.however, sometimes i met some people who were really unkind and unhelpful.but that does't matter.i will still love here.in Lincoln university,there usually was BBQ and some activities,which were really good.i think i will miss here after go back.

Shixian

colorful life here

As an exchange student here, I came to lincoln just one semester, also, it's my first time to go abroad. I think this period of time could be one of my best memories of college time. I feel it is pretty worth well that the efforts that I put into learning English ever before. Thanks to my parents' wise decision ( they strongly agree that I should come out of my own country and have a look at the outer world) . I could be able to achieve so much in Lincoln, no matter in study or in friendship. Also, I still want to continue my postgraduate study here. Hope things would also works well at that time. Last but not least, I will highly recommend lincoln University to my friends in China !

The skill for success lectures is not that useful and time-consuming
Linshan

Unforgettable lovely NZ

I studies marketing at China Agricultural University. I chose marketing, finance, and accounting courses when I exchanged at Lincoln University. The exchange course is very free, and I can choose according to my own interests and future development direction. Here, I found out that I really like accounting and decided to continue studying at the graduate level. I am also very grateful for the open-door policy here. The gap between the teacher and the student is very small. You can make multiple appointments to get help from the teacher. This is very important for the course. I live on self-catered flats in campus, which is the choice of most exchange students. I have met friends from all over the world. I have not made me feel that I am a foreigner. I can't get involved here. We share food, party, study together, and agree to travel to each other's country in the future. At the same time, New Zealand is a very beautiful country, I also travel as much as possible, here I found a place completely different from my home country and fell in love with it.

Linshan

Study abroad experience in Lincoln University

Provide some short trips nearby to make exchange group more familiar.
Fiona

Semester Abroad at the Lincoln Uni

I spend one Semester during my Master programme at the Lincoln University in Christchurch, New Zealand. We were housed in student homes on Campus, four of us in one house. The houses were simple but cozy and sufficiently equipped. During the cold months we needed quite a bit of heating since the houses weren't perfectly insulated and a little old, but overall it was great to share the house and the area with so many other students. The Lincoln University has a lot to offer for exchange students, the houses we were staying in (our "halls") had the chance to participate in a lot different Group activities and we bonded as a great family over the semester.

Additionally there is sports on Campus where everyone can join for a small amount of money and visit different courses or use the gym.

The classes were all on an appropriate level of teaching. The lecturers even cared especially for their students. This is for once due to the small size of the classes and also due to their personal dedication. I have never again felt so taken care of in a Uni.

The overall support was mostly perfectly taken care of, it was only a bit confusing at the beginning because I arrived a day after the official beginning and therefore missed a lot of introduction.

I do recommens this Uni to everyone who plans to to study abroud and this country to everyone who wants to travel. The people are down-to-earth and willingly show you their culture and in half a year I have never experienced any hostility.

There is not much to improve, our University in Germany could have supported us more.
Lina

A little hobbit on an adventure

Last year I studied abroad in New Zealand. When I now tell you about my experiences, I want to look away from all school stuff and rather focus on emotions because I’m just that kind of a person, sorry.

I read about an employer once who said that he would rather see people’s travel photos than their grades, and that is one of the loveliest things I have read. The grades we get on the exams are most of all a result of last-minute intense studying of things we will forget a year later anyway. But the things you learn from travelling and exploring the world are things you never forget.

I was terrified when I left. All of the new, weird and stressful things that happened was enough to freak me out, especially when I woke up after the first night in New Zealand and realised that my lung had collapsed. Oh well. Shit happens, but I survived, and I have become a braver person than I was before.

During the months I spent abroad I have created some of my best memories. I have gone kayaking, swum in glacier water and in hot springs, lived on a sheep farm and spent days and nights in the beautiful nature – waterfalls, turquoise water, mountains and long beaches. Last, but not least, I have met amazing people that have changed my life forever.

So what have I learned? Yes, I have learned something about phylogeny and legumes and invasion of pampas grass, but most importantly I have learned how to be a better human being. I don’t think I can ever be the same again, and I don’t want to either.

That’s why I recommend everyone to study abroad. Not for the academic’s sake, but for your own personal development.

Julia

Best semester of my study program.

I am studying "International Nature Conservation", a joint Masters program between the Lincoln University and the Georg-August-University in Göttingen (Germany). Even if the workload of our NZ semester was high, I learned a lot and gained a lot of knowledge that is still useful for my study program. The courses were very diverse and we got great help from the lecturers but also the Lincoln staff not involved in the courses. In addition, events for international students were organized which was definitely a great chance to get to know others. All in all, Lincoln was an amazing experience, both inside university but also during the free time.

I guess the program can only be improved by the German side.
ke

An unforgettable experience

I came to New Zealand in February and started a semester study. Before coming here, I never thought I would study abroad. All this is like a dream, magical and fortunate.
My studies and life at Lincoln University are very good. I really like the friends and teachers here. They always help me when I am in trouble. I also like the air here. The sky is blue like a lake. In addition, the delicious food is essential. I like the fruit, chocolate, dessert and so on.
Although it was time to return to China, this five-month experience made me forget all my life. I will always remember New Zealand.

Max

A great experience

Studying abroad at Lincoln University was a demanding but rewarding experience. The level of teaching and the level expected from the students was greater than I initially expected, but all went well in the end. If there would be something to improve, it would be the housing; I had to ask for a heater myself for example, something that should be available from the get-go. During my four and a half months here, I made so many new friends and enjoyed New Zealand to the fullest. There is so much to see here even though it is a smallish country! I would definitely recommend Lincoln University to anyone, regardless of their major. Loved it!

The housing and support with it could be better!
Bridget

Lincoln University - Study Abroad

Although the town of Lincoln is quite small and we are least 20 min from the city, the quiet dairy farming surroundings has actually been a nice change. I have been able to see and do so much in New Zealand, especially on the south island since you are not that far away from some amazing places by car. The lecturers are all amazing and truly want you to succeed. The small class settings was a nice change from my Uni back home and it really allowed you to connect to the lecturer and have more of a discussion in class. This program has been truly life changing and I recommend it to anyone. Although the Uni is small compared to mine back home you get to connect with and have a deeper relationships with the students around you.

This program was really great, got to take classes that were related to my major but yet still different enough to make things interesting and new. I wish I was able to take a sociology class, but I found a lot of overlap in the time frames in the classes I wanted to take. But overall this program has been really great, I would have liked to see more classes offered though on environmental issue related topics such as environmental racism and inequality.
Allison

Abroad at Lincoln

The overall experience is great! However, I highly recommend having access to a car and spending your weekends traveling around the country. Lincoln is a very small town with not a ton to do, besides drink. So get out and adventure, otherwise you will get bored and not enjoy it. I love the West Coast and Mount Aspiring National Park, but the entire country is gorgeous. Life is expensive here, so just be prepared for that. Coming here made me go outside my comfort zone, but trust me, it is worth it.

Create more of a connection among the international students and the locals, it would make the time even more enjoyable.
Nikita

Senior Trip

I loved studying aboard here at Lincoln because of the international student interaction. Didn’t have a lot of interactions with kiwis.
Got a good amount of school but had a solid 4 weeks during breaks. It was a great time to see the country side as well as travel with other internationals. New Zealand is a beautiful country and I’d highly recommend.
The education at Lincoln is unique and is not what you would expect.
Good times, great view and amazing people!

More communication would be great.
Iris

Lincoln University

For me going to Lincoln University was a great experience becaus e of the unique atmosphere on Campus. It is all very small and communal which gave me the oppurtunity to meet many interesting peopl. I am sure I have made friends for life here and this would not have been as easy as it was if Lincoln were bigger. Then there is also the upside of the amazing location of Lincoln, right in the center of the South Island of New Zealand. This was a great starting point for many adventures exploring the beautifull country. My favourite of which was a trip to Milford Sound, the most beautiful place on earth I have seen so far.

I had no idea what courses I was allowed to take at Lincoln, as it turns out I was allowed to follow many more of them then I originally thought. If I had known this earlier I would and could have chosen different courses.
Jacob

My time at Lincoln

My experience at Lincoln was second to none! Aside from being in the most beautiful country in the world, Lincoln is a phenomenal place to study. It a smaller school that provides a lot of one on one support for all students. The lecturers are friendly and helpful at all times. I would recommend this place to anyone that has any interest in the outdoors or agriculture. This experience has changed my way of thinking to be more relaxed and not worry or stress the small things in life. The kiwi culture is very friendly and laid back, which helps cope with the stress of studying abroad.

Ava

Lincoln University

My time at Lincoln University has been everything I hoped it would be. New Zealand is beautiful and traveling the country is well worth your time. I came out 4 weeks prior to lectures starting and that was just enough time to see much of the North and South Islands. Once on campus, my experience with the staff was amazing, everybody is helpful and accommodating. My flat in Farm Road was sufficient, nothing fancy. My favorite part about living in Farm Road was the people. It is where I made a lot of my friends. Overall, the semester went by super fast and it will be a bittersweet goodbye when I head home. But I have made some amazing friends and it was an experience I will carry with me the rest of my life. Cheers

The professors are laid back but this proved to be a double edged sword as sometimes there was a lack of communication.

About Lincoln University

Established in 1878, Lincoln University has been a key contributor to the primary industries that sit at the core interests of the New Zealand economy. Ranked 317th in the world , and the top 50 in Agriculture and Forestry (QS Rankings), we are the...