Graduate Studies Programs at University of Auckland

The University of Auckland offers an extensive range of postgraduate programs, enabling you to deepen your knowledge of your subject, develop specialist skills, follow your passion for research, and stand out from your peers in a competitive job market, whilst gaining an advanced qualification.

Taught masters provide advanced specialist training in your field and are usually completed by taught courses only, although some can include a dissertation or research project.

Research masters are completed by thesis and offer the opportunity to follow your research passion while developing advanced research skills. A research masters degree can lead to entry to a doctoral programme.

Doctoral degrees give you the freedom to follow your passion and undertake advanced research in your area of interest. Our doctoral candidates work closely with at least one appointed supervisor, and many work in a team of researchers.

Hermione

Great University and Program

This is a really interesting course and fantastic for anyone considering a career in GP or Paediatrics. The community program is great to learn about services available to support children outside of the Hospital setting, and I have met some incredibly inspiring people with this program. The faculty staff and support form the medical side is amazing, unfortunately the administration at University of Auckland is much more challenging and has room for improvement. Great vibrant city and a fascinating country to travel.

The application process can be challenging for international students with at times poor communication about program requirements and giving incredibly short deadlines to return documents. Using personal emails or phone calls as well as university email for urgent matters would help improve this process.
Joanna

Good learning curve for int’l students.

I loved studying at Auckland uni! Especially since I had already been living in nz for a year under a different visa. It’s a good thing I was used to the country already, because they have the worst international student office! No one knew what forms I needed and when, as if they had never seen an international student before. I used my DIY knowledge to help other students standing in line at the international student office also being given the run around, and I would try to help the best I could since no one at the desk was ever able to answer their questions. Wouldn’t trade my experience at Auckland uni for a second, except any moment I spent inside the international student office.

I had an agent from the US (found through Auckland uni website) to help with my initial application (how the degree worked, correct documents, deadlines, everything) and they were amazing! I’m so glad I did this because I was never given a straight answer from the international student office about anything, was sent to immigration last minute for forms, and again was treated like the first international student to walk through the door.
Response from The University of Auckland

Thanks for your review and feedback, Joanna. I’m sorry to hear you had this experience. We strive to make the immigration process as seamless as possible for students and employ experts on immigration policy. We have changed our process over the past year and added additional resources, so hopefully this will ensure students feel more supported with the immigration details upon arrival. I’m happy to hear you had an incredible time at the University of Auckland and New Zealand!

Alison

UoA is the best uni in the best country

I went to NZ for my masters degree at UoA but my motives were not purely academic. I had visited the south island previously and fell in love with the raw, natural beauty of the country. When presented with the opportunity to study at a prestigious university in one of the world's most breath-taking countries I could not refuse (not to mention it was so much cheaper than pursuing a masters degree in the US). My program of study was a research masters so I was offered flexibility in when I studied and when I traveled. Throughout my year in NZ I was able to travel to Australia, Samoa, and all over NZ multiple times. On weekends when I needed a little rest from traveling I would explore the farmers markets around Auckland, visit art galleries, and hit up some local bars; Auckland is the best city for you if you're the kind of person who wants to have fun on the weekends but have a normal-paced life during the week. If the laid-back lifestyle of NZ is what you're after then the only smart option in UoA.

Offer a bit more social outreach to international students in the beginning of the semesters
Mallory

Very International Experience

Coming to New Zealand I was expecting to meet a bunch of kiwis, but instead I've met people from all over the world. I have new friends from Europe, Asia, Africa, and Central and South America. As a city, I've found that Auckland isn't much different than some of the other large cities in the United States, but the mix of cultures has been much appreciated. The marine science graduate program at UoA is quite challenging in terms of the work load and students are introduced to a wide range of ecology topics. Overall, I'm happy with my decision to do graduate school here.

gabrielle

Year abroad at University of Auckland

Excellent experience at University of Auckland. High academic level and particularly professional and caring lecturers. Support is accessible as well as concessions. The social scene could be improved, probably affected by the high number of students studying at University of Auckland. Good facilities overall. To underline is the excellence of the School of Maori Studies and Pacific Studies. Very safe and welcoming space, great place to learn.

More social events at University of Auckland
Alexandra

A unique experience

Spending a semester in this University has been such a great experience, allowing to meet a bunch of amazing people and studying in a complete different manner. I had the chance to experience both engineering lectures and marketing ones, opening my mind to a lot of brand new fascinating subjects. I also had the opportunity to join the student abroad society which organized so many amazing trips, events and parties! I would recommend everybody to join it. I really enjoyed studying here as I felt I was really part of the university and not different from any other student.

About The University of Auckland

The University of Auckland is located in the heart of New Zealand's largest and most cosmopolitan city. Ranked in the world's top 100* universities, the University of Auckland has a strong research focus where students have the opportunity to learn...