Study Abroad at the University of Auckland, New Zealand

Combine an unforgettable travel experience with studying at a top-100 ranked university. We are New Zealand’s leading university and offer world-class facilities, excellent teaching and a friendly and supportive learning environment.

In our Study Abroad program, choose from more than 120 subjects to earn credits for your major or explore new areas including disciplines not offered at your home university. Subjects popular with our Study Abroad students include Anthropology, Māori/Pacific Studies, Wine Science, Marine Science, Environmental Science and Film, TV & Media Studies.

Auckland is flanked by two harbors, with stunning beaches on both coasts, beautiful islands a short ferry-ride away and lots of water-related activities. For those who prefer their feet firmly on land, Auckland offers lush subtropical forests for hiking and (dormant) volcanoes to climb. Urbanites will enjoy the city’s many cultural and sporting events, festivals, restaurants and vibrant shopping precincts.

Weiwei

Life in the University of Auchkland

I have been in the University of Auckland for about one month. I like the coures there. the teachers are very responsible. They try their best to make things clear. They give us a lot of guidance in tests and assignments. We have to read a lot in order to understand what the teachers say in class.
People there are friendly. We can make friends with people from all over the world. We can experience different cultures. Besides, the evnironment is really good.
As for the accomodation, I recommend to live in the compus, because it is convenient and peopele who live in the compus can went to the recreation center for free. Twin-shared room is a good chice if you don't mind living with another person.

Caroline

Study in NZ!

I've only been here for half of a semester so far, but I've enjoyed every second I've been here! Auckland is great city where you can enjoy city life in the morning and be out in nature, away from the city in the afternoon! There are tons of great places to travel around Auckland and the North and South Island. Renting a car is pretty easy and cheaper if you get a couple friends to go with you! Make sure to check out GrabOne for deals on trips and places you want to go. Usually there is a discount out there you just have to take the time to find it! The classes here, are pretty good. I would highly recommend to anyone trying to learn more about the local culture and history, to take Maori 130. It gives you a great overview of the Maori world and the professor is super passionate about the topic and great at teaching it. Overall, I've had a great time here so far and can't wait to see what the next half of the semester brings!

The overall quality of on-campus housing is very nice, but it is pretty expensive, so be prepared to save up before your exchange!
Jacqueline

Fun in NZ

I had a positive experience at the University of Auckland so far. The school workload is definitely manageable and leaves me with plenty of free time to explore. The city is amazing with plenty to do during the daytime, night time, and only a few hours away from some great weekend spots. UoA has plenty of resources for students to utilize and clubs to get to know other students in. The school size is very large though (expect lectures to have upwards of 100 students) which can be daunting at times. It can be a bit difficult to make get to know other students who aren't also international or study abroad, especially since university housing seems to put most of the international/SA students together. If you study abroad here you will most likely end up socializing with other SA students, so find a good group to go on weekend trips with. Housing is expensive (but hey, Auckland is an expensive city) and is relatively fine and close to campus.

Add programming to help SA students get to know resident students/actual Kiwis.
pic
Wei

One day,l take my bag and arrive a new place to have a new studying time , see different scenery, meet different people, and feel different life

As an international student ( Study Abroad Program),I came to the New Zealand and began a new studying period time in the University of Auckland.

1. Beautiful scenery
I enjoyed every weekend to explore New Zealand. Every day trip made me feel so different and amazing. I have never imagined that one day I will arrive in such a beautiful land.Its unbelievable beauty cannot be described by any words and even made me feel hard to breathe.

2. Active body
There are so many activities in UOA that I even need to make notes to select them! Different parties and activities ,different sports competition, different training lessons in university's gym!

3.focused mind
I just remember the first lesson in one of my courses, I have a quiz.Yes, during the weekdays, it is always so busy .But I really like this teaching method.The teacher pay attention to teach us how to learn but instead of just giving us the knowledge.For example, in my Strategic Business lessons, this course has two facets—a weekly quiz (to ensure that I have studied the assigned readings) and a weekly case discussion period (to develop my ability to apply the ideas about which I have read). This means that I should have studied the assigned readings before taking the quiz. After the quiz, there will be a discussion of the ideas and issues raised by the students regarding the readings.I need to have a focused mind to learn how to learn when I study and there is no doubt that it is really important for me.

So lucky I am to possess such a golden time to experience everything in the University of Auckland!Maybe that is LIFE. Study abroad Program let me believe life is a wonderful journey.The attraction of life is that we will never know which guy we will meet when we turn the corner, how amazing scenery we will see, and when and how the adventure will begin.

Abby

A great learning and growth experience

During my time here at UoA, I have met and befriended such a huge range of people from every corner of the country. Auckland and the university are truly a melting pot of diversity, and it'll help you step out of your comfort zone and experience so many new things. Living in the city means that almost everything is just a walk away, and anything that's not within walking distance is easily accessible via public transport. The two-week mid-semester break is a great opportunity to travel with your friends and explore the country - definitely look into doing a South Island road trip! There's a class for almost everything as well as a multitude of clubs to meet people with the same interests.

Jean-Côme

Amazing University

What a unique experience for me !

I am from a place very different, and people here are really welcoming. The campus is amazing. We can find a lot of different activities ( like for example a huge recreation center ) and the life is perticularly interesting here in Auckland.

There is also one point that I particularly appreciate : teachers and lecturers are really nice, and never hesitate to give time for students who need to understand issues.

I also feel huge community of students. Lots of clubs and societies permite to discover new people, places or sports.

Maybe improve the housing
Ryan

The Auckland Experience

The University of Auckland is an excellent institution for students studying nearly any subject. The study abroad support is tremendous and there when you need it. Auckland is a bustling urban area with easy access to the rest of this beautiful country. You will quickly find yourself adapted and comfortable in the area and eager to try every new thing you find. There are students from all over the world, every club and activity you could want, and delicious dining options everywhere ($5 vegan lunches are my favorite). Choose UofA and you will not be disappointed!!

Paride

Exchange in a multicultural university

I feel lucky to have the opportunity to move to the other side of the world for this semester. Everything well organised and full of activity so I am never bored. And then whatever I need I can get by asking to really nice people. Auckland is a student-friendly city, perfect to walk around, to cycle around the bay and full of parks where to run in. If you like nature and leaving outdoor this will the perfect place.

Ben

Exchange Experience at University Of Auckland

The exchange programme at UOA has been fun and interesting as there are many activities and events going on around the school campus. It also gives me an authentic experience of what it feels like to stay, study eat and travel in New Zealand; and I made friends with Kiwis and the international student from my home country.

Will definitely share my experiences here at UOA with my friends and peers back in my home university.

Cheers
Ben

Sabrina

Life in NZ

Overall, studying in New Zealand at the University of Auckland is great! It has large classes, but still so many resources to succeed academically. There's tons of clubs to choose from which are so great because they vary differently from the options at my home school. Some of these clubs include Underwater club and the Canoe club. I really liked the school accomodation and stayed at Carlaw Park. Living in the city is great with so many things to do, free events, and public transport is great. I really like the clubs and staff who continually work with the International students, helping them get involved and also just giving general support.

Emily

Great First Time Living Overseas

The transition from the US was really easy, because meeting people has been easy with orientation and the various social events, especially the community ones! The AUSA Buddy Program was also really helpful for transitioning with the basics, like grocery shopping and navigating the general go to area for restaurants and other shopping. Everyone is pleasant and helpful in my accommodation at UniLodge Whitaker, and I think it’s a good deal financially living here. The online system is also really clear so that’s helpful and informational emails throughout the semester have been a great source of guidance!

Maybe one more orientation day more dedicated to meeting people
Paula

Once in a lifetime opportunity

Studying abroad has so far been an experience I wouldn’t trade for the world, it truely is and incredible opportunity for anyone and something I think is important for as many people to be able to experience as possible. I was able to travel around the whole country and see so much that I never thought I would see in my lifetime. Going overseas gave me a chance to become more independent and learn as a person in many different aspects. I will never forget the memories, the people, the places and all of the picture I gathered from being abroad and I hope that everyone who wants to has the chance to live their dreams

Aravin

Exchange semester

SASS has put in a lot of effort to organize events for students and I enjoyed them a lot. New Zealand is a beautiful country so there are many opportunities to travel and explore the wonderful scenery. A great university to study as well with understanding and smart lecturer always ready to go the extra mile to ensure every aspect is understood by students properly.The education system is the best I've got the chance to study in. Furthermore life at campus is awesome as there are activities everyday

James

Auckland Law School Study Exchange

I am studying at the Law School via an exchange program with the University of Virginia in the USA. Studying here has been a fantastic experience! Everyone has been kind and supportive. The school has a great energy to it and Auckland City is a vibrant diverse place. New Zealand itself has been breathtaking to visit and discover.

My study at the law school has also been a eye opening experience. Learning a different legal system and language(Yes even though most speak english the Maori language is interwoven into a lot of the culture) has been an exciting challenge.

Karin

Study Abroad Experience

My exchange year here in university of Auckland was fulfilling and something that I will never forget. Not only have I got to know many people from all over the world through study abroad society, other clubs and from my dorm, the studying environment could not be anything better because of the aspiring professors and interesting courses offered here. I feel like I have never got bored with the lifestyle here throughout the semester because there are a lot of beautiful places to explore and most of which are an easy access from the city as well.

About The University of Auckland

The University of Auckland is located in the heart of New Zealand's largest and most cosmopolitan city. Ranked in the world's top 100* universities, the University of Auckland has a strong research focus where students have the opportunity to learn...