Study Abroad at the University of Auckland, New Zealand

Study Abroad at the University of Auckland, New Zealand

Combine an unforgettable travel experience with studying at a top-100 ranked university. We are New Zealand’s leading university and offer world-class facilities, excellent teaching and a friendly and supportive learning environment.

In our Study Abroad program, choose from more than 120 subjects to earn credits for your major or explore new areas including disciplines not offered at your home university. Subjects popular with our Study Abroad students include Anthropology, Māori/Pacific Studies, Wine Science, Marine Science, Environmental Science and Film, TV & Media Studies.

Auckland is flanked by two harbors, with stunning beaches on both coasts, beautiful islands a short ferry-ride away and lots of water-related activities. For those who prefer their feet firmly on land, Auckland offers lush subtropical forests for hiking and (dormant) volcanoes to climb. Urbanites will enjoy the city’s many cultural and sporting events, festivals, restaurants and vibrant shopping precincts.

Oceania » New Zealand » Auckland
Theater, Drama and Dance
Theology
Visual Arts
Zoology and Wildlife Sciences
Study Abroad program students pay a single flat fee (NZ$12,750) which covers tuition fees for a full-time program of study and the student services fee.

In 2018 the Study Abroad fee is NZD12,750 per semester.

Please note accommodation costs and other living expenses are additional to this fee.

Carlota

Spaniard experience

I'm 21-year-old student from the
North Spain and I've been at the UoA for one semester. Since this is my second exchange and I wanted to travel out of Europe I chose New Zealand and couldn't be more lucky to get selected. The education system is the best I've get the chance to study in. Furthermore life at campus is awesome as there are activities everyday. If you are thinking of coming make sure you apply for the university accommodation at the halls so you can get easily involved in the student social life since the very beginning and make friends!

Encouraging students to get to know other exchanges students at the beginning of every semester at some events. Provide tailored accommodation advice before arrival.

Yukino

Enjoyment

I have visited a lot of places in NZ such as South island and some beautiful island like waiheki and rangitoto. And also I've met a lot of kindness people including kiwi and exchange students..
definitely this study abroad experience was unforgettable experience for my life. I really appreciate everyone in terms of alot of things.
As for sad experience,I can't work on group work well with others. But I realized that it is the same in the all over the world,though

It's perfect for me!!

Will
University College Dublin

Semester in Auckland

Came here from Ireland, didn’t really know what to expect, have thoroughly enjoyed my time here, it was a very smooth transfer from my Home University to UoA all the staff, and lecturers were very accommodating. The accomodation team were super supportive in helping us to settle in an make friends quickly by organising several social events. The one thing that I found difficult in the befginning personally here was to integrate with kiwi students in some of my classes, If there was some way of speeding up the process of becoming friends with the people from here it would be great.
Overall great experience 10/10

yui
auckland

Best experience

It was the best experience ever :)
Wonderful nature and friendly people!
It was my first time to live in a foreign country for such a long time.
First I was very coufused. I could not listen and speak English very well. However, people in New Zealand are very helpful and kind. So I could be used to living here. I really like here.
If you are thinking about studying abroad, please check the website of University of Auckland!
I highly reccommend studying in this university.

Alyanah

Great fun

I have really enjoyed my time here at the university of Auckland! Beautiful campus and great programs. Everyone in the nursing school here has been lovely. I have made an abundance of friends and have had a really amazing experience while abroad in Auckland at university of Auckland. New Zealand is beautiful and it has been great getting to explore this beautiful country. I'm really glad that I chose to study abroad here for my last fall semester of uni. When I go back I will have one semester left. I will be telling all my nursing friends about this experience!

Nathalie
Sweden

Copex exchange

I had a great time met some wonderful people, loved exploring beatiful New Zealand. This was the second semester of my masters programme which is a bit more uncommon since most people here are undergraduate, therefore I might not have felt a lot of support for postgraduates like me regarding the academics. Apart from that, I as as a Swede have enjoyed trying out campus life. I would recommend anyone coming here to explore the country as much as they can.

More support for postgraduates

Karla
6 days hence

Study Abroad

Being a female civil engineer student, it has been hard for me to find a good university where I could study abroad, but university of Auckland made this very easy for me. I was able to find the right classes I had to take and I was able to work with my home university to transfer them. The engineering classes I took at University of Auckland were great, they were both academically challenging and fun! I am very happy with experience.

By giving us more awareness of the academic system.

Amanda

Amazing experience

Really amazing experience. The people I’ve met here are wonderful and I have ha a lot of fun. And though you need to spend time studying the atmosphere in the university makes it easier to focus. The professors are really competent and friendly. The international office was really helpful with all of questions. I would recommend other students to come here an experience a nice university and city!

Alex

Kiwi Fun at UofA

Overall the University of Auckland is a great school with quality professors. However, it was not the school that was the most memorable or high quality element of my experience. It was the people in New Zealand, the native history, and the natural beauty. Traveling the country is simply majestic, and it was a cool experience learning about various New Zealand topics in class and then going to see those topics play out in the real world. I learned a lot about New Zealand's wine industry as well as its endemic flora and fauna. In summary, the school itself is about average (compared to big expensive US universities), but the experience is worthwhile.

Perhaps easier access to academic advisors

Signe
University of Auckland

Fantastic experience for life!

I was very exited about going to New Zealand to study abroad, but nervous of leaving my comfort zone at the same time. Though I can say now that this have been the best experience of my life. I have had an amazing time here, and cannot stand the thought of having to go back home to Denmark again. University of Auckland is very professional and surprisingly supportive all the way around. I can definitely recommend everyone to go study in Auckland, and at the same time experience the most beautiful nature around the country.

Irene

Awesome experience

Studying in New Zealand has been a very fun experience. I had to get used to a new academic system but it didn't take me long to be familiar with it. I found all the courses to be very interesting and I felt like I was actually learning more and more everyday on many different topics.
The international office was always available anytime I was in need of clarifications or help.
I was very happy with my accommodation because it gave me the chance to get to know many other international students and Kiwis as well. The best part was that I also found time travel with the new friends I made when I came to Auckland! This experience helped me grow as a person and as a student and I would definitely recommend it!

Miranda

Auckland Uni

Loved joining the tramping club and traveling around with them and meeting people. My classes were great and I loved my professors, and the academic challenge was good but not overwhelming. I met many wonderful people including kiwis and students from the US and other countries. We explored around the South Island on our break and got to spend a lot of time hiking and seeing beautiful places. Overall I would recommend coming to New Zealand but I think one semester is a good amount of time and I’m glad I chose the one-semester option instead of staying for a full year.

I didn’t love my housing (unilodge) and thought it could be managed better.

Juliette

A semester abroad in Auckland

I spend a lot of good time here in Auckland. And I met a lot a amazing people. As I`m from an engineering school I discovered a new way of learning. I also learnt a new way of leaving. I keep a lot of good memories here, and I hope I will live many other good experiences when I`ll visit the South Island next month

More help choosing the lesson

gabrielle
auckland

Exchange at UoA

Nice Uni, interesting courses and nice events !
I picked random subjects in different faculties, all were very interesting and the teachers very helpful especially in laboratories. I particularly enjoyed earth sciences courses and Pacific studies. A lot of free pizza events as well. Made really good friends and would definitely recommend this uni ! International students have nothing to worry about, the international office is helpful. I wish there were more sport clubs and maybe more sport facilities on campus. The campus is really well located as well, 5 mn walk to the city center which makes it really practical.

Ai
Japan

In my life in Auckland

University of Auckland provides me with great opportunities. It is a wonderful place for me to concentrate on my study. There are many kinds of supports and facilities for students to broaden their knowledge and prepare for assignments and exams. Professors and tutors are very friendly and take care about students, so I can ask some questions whenever I have troubles. In addition, every campus is very clean and spacious. Then, there are many beautiful natures in Auckland, so I can relax and experience great outdoor activities such as skydiving and hiking.

Rebecca
Auckland New Zealand
University of Alberta

Academic Exchange and Travel New Zealand

The University Auckland offers a great opportunity to study abroad, as it is both academically strong and in a country as beautiful and easy to travel as New Zealand. Auckland is a great location and a welcoming city, with plenty of parks and events. It also feels very safe. The University itself, at least the Faculty of Arts provides challenging, but largely enjoyable courses.

Outside of academics, New Zealand is a beautiful country, especially if you enjoy hiking and backpacking. From Auckland, the North Island is very accessible for travel within semester study breaks. Several friends and I went on a road trip during the Fall Study Break (April); this is probably my favourite memory from my exchange.

While I was able to make several friends, I felt that the accommodation offered to exchange students lacked the social character I was looking for. Rather than shared flats or even halls, the private studio (the only accommodation I was offered) was a bit isolating. I should likely have applied earlier but was not informed of this. This was an area in which my experience was lacking.

Siyu
Apt 618/UniLode Auckland 133 Beach Road Auckland
University of Auckland

an experience full of challenges and help

Studying in University of Auckland is an experience full of challenges and help. I find the study in Auckland is totally different from the study in China. Every course has a tutorial that helps students to understand lectures better and to complete their assignment especially essays. For those who speak English as their second language, there is a language test called DELNA. This assessment can help international students to find out which English level they are in and then the adviser will give every student a diagnose in which specific solutions for how to improve English will be offered. DELNA is really useful because writing is always a problem to me and I used to be worries about my essays. However, after taking DELNA, I am advised to join in some writing workshops in library, and I have learned many practical writing skills such as verb and tense usage. What's more, there is an activity called Let’s talk in which international students can have much more opportunities to talk to people from different culture backgrounds than they have in class.

zoe
Auckland, New Zealand

Exchange Student from the States

My experience abroad here has been great! The class structures are quite different from what I am used to but it's not exactly a bad thing. The final exams are worth a big chunk of your grade but all lectures are recorded and posted on Canvas, so it is quite convenient to have posts to refer back to when studying and working on assignment. There are plenty of clubs to join and oppurtunities to meet people.

Yanyi

An amazing experience at UoA

This is my first time that I have been abroad. I was so worried about the foreign studying and living environment before I came here. But as soon as I arrived in NZ, I found everyone is so friendly. Every time I got a problem and ask people around for help, they were so friendly to offer help. And people always smile, which really makes me feel good. And I met many good friends here, with whose company, I have a really good time in Auckland.

Ye
Auckland Central

Fantastic Study Abroad in UoA

This is a definitely amazing and unforgettable experience in my life!
Although as a international student, I still cannot communicate very fluently with the local, but everybody is friendly and hospitably. The most impressive thing is, when I got troubled in the statistic class, tutor is very very patient to ask my "Silly" questions lol, and my new friend met in this class also help me to modify the comment to the plot (the assignment). after the first half semester, I make many friends here and enjoy the class!

At weekends, I would have a morning jogging with my friends around the coastline, that is another amazing experience which i never had before i come here. NewZealand is really beautiful and I enjoy everyday here!

May be organize more activities for international students.

Hongyang

Unforgettable experience in UoA

This program is flexible. I can choose any course that I want to study. Last semester I chose Wine Science. During the seminars, the course coordinators provided us several red and white wines and led us to analyse them in a scientific way. Besides, we visited the vineyard on Waiheke Island, which is fabulous.
The natural scenery of New Zealand is the most attractive in the world. During the holiday I travelled around the country. This will be the most precious memory for me in my life.

Angie

Exchange experience

University of Auckland gave me an opportunity to experience one semester of excellent law school education here. I chose UoA because it's academic reputation in law. It truly impresses me when I have classes here. The teachers are rather kind and conservative. They teach knowledge and answer all our questions when we are confused about common law system and etc. they are also very Chinese-friendly as to discuss cultural difference with us and different systems of law. This programme will become an unique experience through my whole life.

If we can have personal academic advisor that will be much more helpful.

Sammie
Auckland, NZ

University of Auckland

I've been having the most amazing time at the University of Auckland on exchange from America. In fact, I'm having such a good time that I'm trying to extend my stay for another semester. The city is vibrant and full of adventures while still being friendly and personable. So close to Auckland are beautiful mountains, beaches, hikes, waterfalls, and so many great sites. You can take day trips to lots of places, and longer weekend trips as well. The South Island is a stunning short trip away, available for weekend trips or for longer stays. The University offers classes in all sorts of interests; my favorite class in my entire university career has been at Auckland Uni. The clubs are welcoming to all, and tons of fun. Overall an amazing, incredible, outstanding experience.

NA

Sze Shean
New Zealand
Monash University

Exchange Student in NZ

Living as an exchange student in New Zealand has been a great experience. It is great trying to study in a different environment and everyone is very friendly. There are so many beautiful places around Auckland to visit that ranges from regional parks to waterfalls. I am glad that I grabbed this opportunity to be here. This is the best choice I have made in my life and I am enjoying every minute of my life here.

Michelle Shin Min
New Zealand

Exchange Student

Being an exchange student in University of Auckland is one of the best choice I have made in my life. I could study at one of the world's top university while given the chance to explore the beautiful country. The university is very near to downtown Auckland making life in a foreign country more convenient. Accommodation is guaranteed for exchange student which save me the trouble of looking for a place to stay. Overall, it is a great experience.

Nikolas

Sweet as

I am a chemical engineering student from Technical University of Denmark. I have so far enjoyed my stay here very much. The professors seem nice and the fellow students aswell. The quality of the housing is not the best but the community at my student village more than makes up for it. I especially like the parks around uni and have been participating in several clubs. I think my courses would have been better with fewer lectures and more tutorials but it was not a big problem at all.

Cadence

Study Abroad at UofA

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time studying at the University of Auckland! I'm here from Boston, so I love being in the city, and I love how close the university campus is to Queen street and the downtown area. The classes are interesting, though the structure of them differs a bit from US classes. Overall this had been a wonderful experience and I've been very happy here, and I hope to come back again after my time abroad is over!

There is not much opportunity to integrate with the kiwi community as an international student. Everyone is very cordial and kind, but there have never been very limited opportunities to hang out with kiwi students outside of class.

Johannes

University of Auckland

The UoA staff was very helpful in setting up my courses. By visiting the same classes as everyone else instead of being in separated exchange student classes, the academic program is more challenging but provides the opportunity to meet locals and connect with other people quicker.
Additional courses to understand research methods at the university and to learn academic writing in English are provided as well and are very helpful!
The teachers in my classes try to use the opportunity of having foreign students in their courses by implementing foreign law as a comparison to the NZ law.

Bobby

Great home base

One of the best things about Auckland is it is a good home base for travels. There is so much to see and do in NZ. Auckland is a good location to go to school since the whole North Island is just a drive away. The possibilities are endless. You can go skiing, surfing, kite-surfing, hiking, rock climbing and more. Staying in Auckland makes it very easy to explore this beautiful country. Compared to the US the difficulty of the classes is comparable.

Sarah
Auckland, New Zealand

Amazing Study Abroad at UoA

From the first day at Auckland, with transport provided from the University, I knew that this was a very welcoming and safe place. Having many friends who have studied abroad in different parts of the world and seeing their accommodations I was not expecting much. When I got to my campus housing I was pleasantly surprised, as it is so nice, warm and homey. There are many events at this Uni that make it easy to get involved, even if you do not know anyone prior to coming. Special events for international students are held, along with a Uni-wide club fair having wide arrange of activities and clubs, so there is something for everyone. I have found the people to be extremely friendly and helpful in figuring out the schooling process here. With such an amazingly beautiful country to explore it has been easy and safe to get out and explore on the weekends with other international students who share the same interests to see as much as we can of New Zealand. I would HIGHLY recommend this program; I am so glad I picked UoA.

The University of Auckland is located in the heart of New Zealand's largest and most cosmopolitan city. Ranked in the world's top 100* universities, the University of Auckland has a strong research focus where students have the opportunity to learn from academics who are at