Study Abroad at the University of Auckland, New Zealand

Study Abroad at the University of Auckland, New Zealand

Combine an unforgettable travel experience with studying at a top-100 ranked university. We are New Zealand’s leading university and offer world-class facilities, excellent teaching and a friendly and supportive learning environment.

In our Study Abroad program, choose from more than 120 subjects to earn credits for your major or explore new areas including disciplines not offered at your home university. Subjects popular with our Study Abroad students include Anthropology, Māori/Pacific Studies, Wine Science, Marine Science, Environmental Science and Film, TV & Media Studies.

Auckland is flanked by two harbors, with stunning beaches on both coasts, beautiful islands a short ferry-ride away and lots of water-related activities. For those who prefer their feet firmly on land, Auckland offers lush subtropical forests for hiking and (dormant) volcanoes to climb. Urbanites will enjoy the city’s many cultural and sporting events, festivals, restaurants and vibrant shopping precincts.

Oceania » New Zealand » Auckland
Theater, Drama and Dance
Theology
Visual Arts
Zoology and Wildlife Sciences
Study Abroad program students pay a single flat fee (NZ$12,750) which covers tuition fees for a full-time program of study and the student services fee.

In 2018 the Study Abroad fee is NZD12,750 per semester.

Please note accommodation costs and other living expenses are additional to this fee.

Ai
Japan

In my life in Auckland

University of Auckland provides me with great opportunities. It is a wonderful place for me to concentrate on my study. There are many kinds of supports and facilities for students to broaden their knowledge and prepare for assignments and exams. Professors and tutors are very friendly and take care about students, so I can ask some questions whenever I have troubles. In addition, every campus is very clean and spacious. Then, there are many beautiful natures in Auckland, so I can relax and experience great outdoor activities such as skydiving and hiking.

Rebecca
Auckland New Zealand
University of Alberta

Academic Exchange and Travel New Zealand

The University Auckland offers a great opportunity to study abroad, as it is both academically strong and in a country as beautiful and easy to travel as New Zealand. Auckland is a great location and a welcoming city, with plenty of parks and events. It also feels very safe. The University itself, at least the Faculty of Arts provides challenging, but largely enjoyable courses.

Outside of academics, New Zealand is a beautiful country, especially if you enjoy hiking and backpacking. From Auckland, the North Island is very accessible for travel within semester study breaks. Several friends and I went on a road trip during the Fall Study Break (April); this is probably my favourite memory from my exchange.

While I was able to make several friends, I felt that the accommodation offered to exchange students lacked the social character I was looking for. Rather than shared flats or even halls, the private studio (the only accommodation I was offered) was a bit isolating. I should likely have applied earlier but was not informed of this. This was an area in which my experience was lacking.

Siyu
Apt 618/UniLode Auckland 133 Beach Road Auckland
University of Auckland

an experience full of challenges and help

Studying in University of Auckland is an experience full of challenges and help. I find the study in Auckland is totally different from the study in China. Every course has a tutorial that helps students to understand lectures better and to complete their assignment especially essays. For those who speak English as their second language, there is a language test called DELNA. This assessment can help international students to find out which English level they are in and then the adviser will give every student a diagnose in which specific solutions for how to improve English will be offered. DELNA is really useful because writing is always a problem to me and I used to be worries about my essays. However, after taking DELNA, I am advised to join in some writing workshops in library, and I have learned many practical writing skills such as verb and tense usage. What's more, there is an activity called Let’s talk in which international students can have much more opportunities to talk to people from different culture backgrounds than they have in class.

zoe
Auckland, New Zealand

Exchange Student from the States

My experience abroad here has been great! The class structures are quite different from what I am used to but it's not exactly a bad thing. The final exams are worth a big chunk of your grade but all lectures are recorded and posted on Canvas, so it is quite convenient to have posts to refer back to when studying and working on assignment. There are plenty of clubs to join and oppurtunities to meet people.

Yanyi

An amazing experience at UoA

This is my first time that I have been abroad. I was so worried about the foreign studying and living environment before I came here. But as soon as I arrived in NZ, I found everyone is so friendly. Every time I got a problem and ask people around for help, they were so friendly to offer help. And people always smile, which really makes me feel good. And I met many good friends here, with whose company, I have a really good time in Auckland.

Ye
Auckland Central

Fantastic Study Abroad in UoA

This is a definitely amazing and unforgettable experience in my life!
Although as a international student, I still cannot communicate very fluently with the local, but everybody is friendly and hospitably. The most impressive thing is, when I got troubled in the statistic class, tutor is very very patient to ask my "Silly" questions lol, and my new friend met in this class also help me to modify the comment to the plot (the assignment). after the first half semester, I make many friends here and enjoy the class!

At weekends, I would have a morning jogging with my friends around the coastline, that is another amazing experience which i never had before i come here. NewZealand is really beautiful and I enjoy everyday here!

May be organize more activities for international students.

Hongyang

Unforgettable experience in UoA

This program is flexible. I can choose any course that I want to study. Last semester I chose Wine Science. During the seminars, the course coordinators provided us several red and white wines and led us to analyse them in a scientific way. Besides, we visited the vineyard on Waiheke Island, which is fabulous.
The natural scenery of New Zealand is the most attractive in the world. During the holiday I travelled around the country. This will be the most precious memory for me in my life.

Angie

Exchange experience

University of Auckland gave me an opportunity to experience one semester of excellent law school education here. I chose UoA because it's academic reputation in law. It truly impresses me when I have classes here. The teachers are rather kind and conservative. They teach knowledge and answer all our questions when we are confused about common law system and etc. they are also very Chinese-friendly as to discuss cultural difference with us and different systems of law. This programme will become an unique experience through my whole life.

If we can have personal academic advisor that will be much more helpful.

Sammie
Auckland, NZ

University of Auckland

I've been having the most amazing time at the University of Auckland on exchange from America. In fact, I'm having such a good time that I'm trying to extend my stay for another semester. The city is vibrant and full of adventures while still being friendly and personable. So close to Auckland are beautiful mountains, beaches, hikes, waterfalls, and so many great sites. You can take day trips to lots of places, and longer weekend trips as well. The South Island is a stunning short trip away, available for weekend trips or for longer stays. The University offers classes in all sorts of interests; my favorite class in my entire university career has been at Auckland Uni. The clubs are welcoming to all, and tons of fun. Overall an amazing, incredible, outstanding experience.

NA

Sze Shean
New Zealand
Monash University

Exchange Student in NZ

Living as an exchange student in New Zealand has been a great experience. It is great trying to study in a different environment and everyone is very friendly. There are so many beautiful places around Auckland to visit that ranges from regional parks to waterfalls. I am glad that I grabbed this opportunity to be here. This is the best choice I have made in my life and I am enjoying every minute of my life here.

Michelle Shin Min
New Zealand

Exchange Student

Being an exchange student in University of Auckland is one of the best choice I have made in my life. I could study at one of the world's top university while given the chance to explore the beautiful country. The university is very near to downtown Auckland making life in a foreign country more convenient. Accommodation is guaranteed for exchange student which save me the trouble of looking for a place to stay. Overall, it is a great experience.

Nikolas

Sweet as

I am a chemical engineering student from Technical University of Denmark. I have so far enjoyed my stay here very much. The professors seem nice and the fellow students aswell. The quality of the housing is not the best but the community at my student village more than makes up for it. I especially like the parks around uni and have been participating in several clubs. I think my courses would have been better with fewer lectures and more tutorials but it was not a big problem at all.

Cadence

Study Abroad at UofA

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time studying at the University of Auckland! I'm here from Boston, so I love being in the city, and I love how close the university campus is to Queen street and the downtown area. The classes are interesting, though the structure of them differs a bit from US classes. Overall this had been a wonderful experience and I've been very happy here, and I hope to come back again after my time abroad is over!

There is not much opportunity to integrate with the kiwi community as an international student. Everyone is very cordial and kind, but there have never been very limited opportunities to hang out with kiwi students outside of class.

Johannes

University of Auckland

The UoA staff was very helpful in setting up my courses. By visiting the same classes as everyone else instead of being in separated exchange student classes, the academic program is more challenging but provides the opportunity to meet locals and connect with other people quicker.
Additional courses to understand research methods at the university and to learn academic writing in English are provided as well and are very helpful!
The teachers in my classes try to use the opportunity of having foreign students in their courses by implementing foreign law as a comparison to the NZ law.

Bobby

Great home base

One of the best things about Auckland is it is a good home base for travels. There is so much to see and do in NZ. Auckland is a good location to go to school since the whole North Island is just a drive away. The possibilities are endless. You can go skiing, surfing, kite-surfing, hiking, rock climbing and more. Staying in Auckland makes it very easy to explore this beautiful country. Compared to the US the difficulty of the classes is comparable.

Sarah
Auckland, New Zealand

Amazing Study Abroad at UoA

From the first day at Auckland, with transport provided from the University, I knew that this was a very welcoming and safe place. Having many friends who have studied abroad in different parts of the world and seeing their accommodations I was not expecting much. When I got to my campus housing I was pleasantly surprised, as it is so nice, warm and homey. There are many events at this Uni that make it easy to get involved, even if you do not know anyone prior to coming. Special events for international students are held, along with a Uni-wide club fair having wide arrange of activities and clubs, so there is something for everyone. I have found the people to be extremely friendly and helpful in figuring out the schooling process here. With such an amazingly beautiful country to explore it has been easy and safe to get out and explore on the weekends with other international students who share the same interests to see as much as we can of New Zealand. I would HIGHLY recommend this program; I am so glad I picked UoA.

Natsumi
University of Auckland

Perfect place to study abroad

I've been studying in University of Auckland as an exchange student since this March. What surprised me was so many supports of kind and friendly uni stuff. Because of my poor English skill, I had a lots of problem including catching up classes and completing assignments, but they are always willing to help me with addressing those difficulties. There is a free English conversation class called ELE in uni and it also helps improving my English skill.
There are various events in uni and each UoA's accommodations, which provides us chances to make new friends. Also, even exchange students can join club activities. I became a member of concert band and orchestra, and was on some stages such as music festival and competition. Time spending here with awesome friends is my treasure.
I really recommend this university in Aotearoa to people who are looking forward to place studying abroad and expecting lots of exciting and precious experiences.

Sandra

Welcomed from the first day

I feel like I've been taken care of since the day I arrived in New Zealand. At the airport I met up with an amazing lady from uni who were there to pick me and some other students up, early in the morning. I never felt lost and we had a lot of fun in the car. The lady who picked us up forgot the paper she was supposed to give me, but she was so friendly and came with them later tthat day. Ever since, everything have gone so smoothly. I really appreciate the communication between the university and the students - through e-mails and the website. Everything feels organized and relaxed, I don't have to go around being worried. There's always someone who can help if I can't figure it out on my own. The courses I've taken in philosophy and politics have this far been great, and so I'm looking forward to another semester here. I love it!

Kelly

Good Academic Area

Uoa as a university are quiet well in the academic area. They provide excellent accommodation location for student to live in, with top security level. On the academic side, the university provide different support to student on the based skills and talents. The people in the university is very nice and helpful. One thing I think the university could improve is their timetable. Uoa have separate each class in to 1-2 hours and distribute eventually on weekdays, but that's not quiet convenience. Student may feel difficult to do time management on it.

Aileen

Beautiful Country

Coming to Auckland uni has definitely been a crazy experience! it is different from home (the uni and city), so did take a while to get used to but you get over that pretty quick. I've tried a lot of new things here, joined lots of clubs and love that I can travel while I'm here. I am so glad I moved to New Zealand, it really is as beautiful as people say! South Island is the prettiest place I've ever seen, everyone has to go, its just incredible!

More guidance during orientation for exchange students, rather than the focus being on first year internationals.

The University of Auckland is located in the heart of New Zealand's largest and most cosmopolitan city. Ranked in the world's top 100* universities, the University of Auckland has a strong research focus where students have the opportunity to learn from academics who are at