Study Abroad at the University of Auckland, New Zealand

Combine an unforgettable travel experience with studying at a top-100 ranked university. We are New Zealand’s leading university and offer world-class facilities, excellent teaching and a friendly and supportive learning environment.

In our Study Abroad program, choose from more than 120 subjects to earn credits for your major or explore new areas including disciplines not offered at your home university. Subjects popular with our Study Abroad students include Anthropology, Māori/Pacific Studies, Wine Science, Marine Science, Environmental Science and Film, TV & Media Studies.

Auckland is flanked by two harbors, with stunning beaches on both coasts, beautiful islands a short ferry-ride away and lots of water-related activities. For those who prefer their feet firmly on land, Auckland offers lush subtropical forests for hiking and (dormant) volcanoes to climb. Urbanites will enjoy the city’s many cultural and sporting events, festivals, restaurants and vibrant shopping precincts.

Andriana

Globetrotting to the University of Auckland for exchange!

What an experience! I've made so many life-long friends at the University of Auckland and overall, I have so many hilarious memories.

In an academic sense, I could not recommend this university enough. I've taken so many courses that I wouldn't back at my home university and it has really enriched my knowledge! The staff (lecturers, etc) have also been amazing- so understanding and replying to emails really quickly if you have any problems (definitely a massive help if you have any last minute questions for assignments).

Socially, the university provides so many weekly events and it is really close to two of the main streets of Auckland City which means that you can always go to a really cute and cheap restaurant or cafe near by.

I really recommend this university and just want to say a huge "good luck" to anyone who decides to go here! Trust me, you will really enjoy it!

Madeleine

Great place

Had a great time at this university. I enjoyed the courses I took whilst here (I am a chemistry major). New Zealand is a beautiful country so there are many opportunities to travel and explore the wonderful scenery. Accommodation is expensive, and so are general living costs such as food shopping. They have a society for you to meet other exchange students, but it is just as good to join other clubs where you will meet other full time students as well as other internationals.

Yanyi

the best experience

Beautiful country, a great school with friendly people! It has been the best experience I've ever had. For me, the best part is the education system, from which I finally found the enjoyment of study and figure out what I really want to do and need to do in the future. I really learn a lot from the courses and definitely it would be helpful in my future career.

Highly recommend this program :)

Henrik

Exchange semester

Great school and everything but lacking the night life and accommodation is crazy expensive but hey, I chose Auckland for the scenery (the south island) and travelling - not for the university I was going to attend! SASS group was not as good as I expected. The study abroad student society didn't organize much events but it's run by students not by the school so it was still good. I think the university itself should involve its exchange students more in the university life.

More student events for exchange students. More nightlife.
Response from The University of Auckland

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for your review. Auckland is ranked the third most liveable city in the world, which means it has experienced an increasingly high demand on housing and as a result higher housing and rent prices. While the cost of living is not cheap, we hope the easy access to nature and the free and numerous cultural events throughout the year make it easy for university students to enjoy living in the urban heart of New Zealand while getting a world-class education.

Enjoy the rest of your time in New Zealand.

Ayla

One semester exchange from Amsterdam

While I had a difficulties with my home university figuring out what I needed to arrange for my exchange, I was filled with relief when I received my first email from the University of Auckland. Everything was so clearly explained, step-by-step, reminders for deadlines, etc., their services for international students are great! I also really loved the attention they paid to student mental health throughout the semester. My master courses were very interesting and challenging, with small classes and approachable teachers. There are unique courses like pacific health that you can't do anywhere else in the world! I stayed at one of the University halls, which was nice because almost everyone else was also an international student & there are often activities, but it was very expensive. I would also recommend signing up for some student organisations like the climbing club and study abroad society. It is nice that the city campus is very close to the city centre and there are a lots of places with great (international) food. There are many places nearby that you can visit, we tried to get out of Auckland almost every weekend (and the south island is even more amazing <3<3). The weather in summer is great (and in winter pretty good as well in my opinion) and the nature in New Zealand is crazy beautiful. I did lots of hiking with international friends. New Zealand is a country I normally wouldn't travel to because it's so far away, so combining it with my studies was the perfect experience!

Response from The University of Auckland

Kia ora Ayla,

Thanks for the thoughtful review! We're so happy to hear that you had such a meaningful and impactful experience at the University of Auckland. Enjoy the rest of your time in New Zealand!

Camilla

Favorite country so far

I have stayed for several months in different countries over the years, and New Zealand is so far my favorite place. The university is amazing; I had great teachers who followed up everything, the teachers even changed my assignments to make the best possible learning outcomes for me since I was from another country, great support from the university in general, and tons of activities to do and clubs/sports to join. I have had a really good time here, and I would absolutely recommend the university.

Auckland in itself is a great place to study. As a city, I don’t think Auckland is the best place to visit as a tourist, but I absolutely loved to live here. The rest of New Zealand is amazing, with a huge variety to offer in activities, beaches, hikes, etc. Someone said at the beginning of the semester “New Zealand has a lot to offer, but don’t forget that you are also here to study”. A few times, I have been frustrated that I chose to study, because I could literally use all these months just to travel through the country. All in all, I’ve had the best time here in New Zealand, and I’m frustrated about the fact that I’m leaving in a few weeks.

I wish I had some more information about housing. I didn't get a student accomodation, and I wished I had a "step-by-step" manual of how to look up other apartments, and also how to book viewings of the apartment.
Sally

Skyscrapers and Palm trees

I knew as soon as I got off the plane that this year was going to be an experience and what a year it has been! The University itself is right in the heart of the city and always brimming with life. My accommodation, although expensive, was nice and the staff really friendly. The Study Abroad team always makes sure you are up to date with current events and is always on hand if you need any help.
My time here has flown by and I wouldn't change any of it for the world. Without sounding too cliché this year was definitely a life-changing experience. Would definitely recommend studying abroad and especially the University of Auckland for anybody looking for an amazing new experience.

Lizzie

Study Abroad in Auckland from Tulane University

I never liked the idea of going to a "city" university, and although Tulane is in New Orleans it still has a defined small campus atmosphere and I love it. Moving to University of Auckland for a semester made me nervous knowing that it was a much larger university (as far as student population) located right in central Auckland, but I have really enjoyed exploring the city and campus because it is so green everywhere, easy to get around by walking or taking the bus, and my study abroad program hosts a lot of events that have helped make this place feel like home. I love that I can take the bus to Mt Eden to watch the sunset, or to the beach to relax, or walk through the Domain to escape the city-feel. My classes, even though they are large lectures, are engaging and I love how connected I feel to all of my lecturers here despite the large number of students. It is also different not having regularly graded homework assignments like in the States, so having only a few larger heavily weighted assignments was definitely a slightly stressful adjustment. Coming to Auckland for study abroad allowed me to experience a new place and culture as well as getting to explore the beauty of New Zealand, and I have learned to appreciate all of the differences between places that I have been able to live throughout my life.

David

Beautiful Counrty

The country of New Zealand is absolutely beautiful and Auckland was a great place to spend a semester. The school was safe, quiet and fun. The only complaint I have are that the student visas we got were a nightmare. Over two months, hours of phone calls and finally the night before our flight, the visa arrived. We were told that our our funds weren’t sufficienct, our banking details weren’t good enough and we didn’t provide enough information. Except, in the end, we were fine. It may have just been the customer service representative, but we were seriously considering not going because of the inhospitable nature of the people we dealt with.

When we arrived in in NZ, we were pleasantly surprised at how polite the customs agents and people in general were. And overall, our trip was an amazing adventure that we will treasure for the rest of our lives.

Provide MORE information about student visa, jobs, housing costs, and traveling when offering the program!
Response from The University of Auckland

Kia Ora David,

Thanks for your review and feedback! I’m sorry to hear you had such a difficult experience with Immigration New Zealand. It seems you must have been placed with someone who was inexperienced as this is rare to hear. Nonetheless, we are working with Immigration New Zealand to ensure this experience doesn’t happen to future students. Despite this, I’m happy to hear that you were able to arrive on time and have a transformative exchange experience in New Zealand!

University of Auckland

Lauren

Great Experience

Had a ton of fun! Really great way to see New Zealand and feel like you’re taking a break from studies without actually taking a break. Auckland felt incredibly safe and help was provided whenever I needed it! There were a few things the Univeristy of Auckland did that I would even recommend my home school consider! They had a lot of options for courses as well. Wish I could do it again! Hope to visit New Zeland again in the future.

Bram

Auckland Uni late 2017-early 2018

Studied at the university of Auckland from July 2017 until November 2017. Loved the experience. The uni is great, the city is amazing and the country even better. Auckland is a melting pot of cultures and New Zealand has beautiful scenery. Especially the South Island has some breathtaking landscapes, because of that it’s a place you really got to visit. Also used my time in New Zealand to travel around, would recommend this to anyone.

More available courses
Isaac

Year abroad at Auckland

Made great friends in the international students community. Courses were hard but that's mainly due to my lack of commitment to the studies when there's so much fun stuff to do in New Zealand. The lecturers were hit and miss, some being really great and some lacking. All lecturers had office hours that were very useful if attended. The courses are changing this year so that there is more emphasis on course work (in physics) this would appeals less to a UK student that is not used to this work style.

Carlota

Spaniard experience

I'm 21-year-old student from the
North Spain and I've been at the UoA for one semester. Since this is my second exchange and I wanted to travel out of Europe I chose New Zealand and couldn't be more lucky to get selected. The education system is the best I've get the chance to study in. Furthermore life at campus is awesome as there are activities everyday. If you are thinking of coming make sure you apply for the university accommodation at the halls so you can get easily involved in the student social life since the very beginning and make friends!

Encouraging students to get to know other exchanges students at the beginning of every semester at some events. Provide tailored accommodation advice before arrival.
Yukino

Enjoyment

I have visited a lot of places in NZ such as South island and some beautiful island like waiheki and rangitoto. And also I've met a lot of kindness people including kiwi and exchange students..
definitely this study abroad experience was unforgettable experience for my life. I really appreciate everyone in terms of alot of things.
As for sad experience,I can't work on group work well with others. But I realized that it is the same in the all over the world,though

It's perfect for me!!
Will

Semester in Auckland

Came here from Ireland, didn’t really know what to expect, have thoroughly enjoyed my time here, it was a very smooth transfer from my Home University to UoA all the staff, and lecturers were very accommodating. The accomodation team were super supportive in helping us to settle in an make friends quickly by organising several social events. The one thing that I found difficult in the befginning personally here was to integrate with kiwi students in some of my classes, If there was some way of speeding up the process of becoming friends with the people from here it would be great.
Overall great experience 10/10

About The University of Auckland

The University of Auckland is located in the heart of New Zealand's largest and most cosmopolitan city. Ranked in the world's top 100* universities, the University of Auckland has a strong research focus where students have the opportunity to learn...