Study Abroad at the University of Auckland, NZ

Sunset
Sunset
Tongariro
Tongariro
Enjoy International Food Festival with my new friends! :)
Enjoy International Food Festival with my new friends! :)
School gym
School gym
Conflict of laws
Conflict of laws
Rangitoto Trip
Rangitoto Trip
Bach
Bach

Combine an unforgettable travel experience with studying at a top-100 ranked university. We are New Zealand’s leading university and offer world-class facilities, excellent teaching and a friendly and supportive learning environment.

In our Study Abroad program, choose from more than 120 subjects to earn credits for your major or explore new areas including disciplines not offered at your home university. Subjects popular with our Study Abroad students include Anthropology, Māori/Pacific Studies, Wine Science, Marine Science, Environmental Science and Film, TV & Media Studies.

Auckland is flanked by two harbors, with stunning beaches on both coasts, beautiful islands a short ferry-ride away and lots of water-related activities. For those who prefer their feet firmly on land, Auckland offers lush subtropical forests for hiking and (dormant) volcanoes to climb. Urbanites will enjoy the city’s many cultural and sporting events, festivals, restaurants and vibrant shopping precincts.

The University of Auckland Scholarships
$1,000 Direct Enroll Scholarship

Go Overseas, in partnership with the University of Auckland, is granting $1,000 study abroad scholarships to students who apply to enroll directly with the U of A. Eligible applicants: US students who have not yet applied to the university.

$1,000

The weather can be hugely variable in one day. The summer months are hot and sunny, while in winter the temperature does drop quite a bit but it was never below 0 when I was there. My advice to you is always carry an umbrella just in case!

Anastasia

Great learning about kiwi life!

I’m so grateful I came to New Zealand and especially to Auckland! It’s the heart that pumps energy and zest into modern Kiwi life. I’ve learned a lot about the native Maori culture from my studies here, as well as the environmental policies that New Zealand implements which should be an example to the rest of the world.

All the faculty and staff in the Study Abroad office are friendly and welcoming, with plenty of opportunities to meet other internationals and locals alike. I highly recommend doing the Waipapa Noho Marae Experience the first weekend! It’s where I made all of my friends from all over the world and helped acclimate me to the cultural climate of NZ before classes started.

Looking forward to finishing off my semester here and coming back for more!

Be prepared for some hills! This campus will give you legs for days with all the odd streets that have hills to scale. And wear lots of layers in winter - it rains sporadically and often, so you always want to be prepared.
Mercy

AMAZING!

The Study Abroad Department at the University of Auckland is amazing! They are willing to help you with whatever problems or questions you may have concerning academics, school life, and clubs! They gave my study abroad program a whole orientation session to talk about general information about the University of Auckland as well as important academic dates that we should keep in mind. They also organize fun events throughout the semester for study abroad students! They are keen on helping students succeed here at the University of Auckland! They also have available for study abroad students a whole room called iSpace that is available for us at anytime to chill between classes or have get togethers there. I am extremely happy with the Study Abroad department here!

I think I would suggest more events throughout the semester!
Zoe

Excellent experiences

All the clubs available to join and trips to go on are wonderful. Last weekend I went out kayaking with the AUCC and planted trees in a conservation of one of the nearby rivers to help keep the silt out of the water that is affecting the habitat of the local fish. It was a lovely time meeting people and having fun exploring the outdoors. This coming weekend I will head out with the AURAC to go climbing and have more fun outside. I have some experience on indoor rock walls but have never done any outdoor climbing. This will allow me to go out on a beginner’s trip and learn about lead climbing and belaying and get to try my hand at bouldering. I’m really looking forward to it and all the other excursions that I will go on during the rest of my time here.

Jin

Jin Mu

It has been a month since I came to the university of Auckland, I have know lots of things about this university, and I'm looking forward to my future lifeas an exchange student, I have my own student card and account, I can use all kinds of school equipment like other normal students here, such as printer, computer, books and so on; I can also choose all the courses offered by the university of Auckland without any restrictions. When I have any confusion in my study and life, I can directly contact my advisor, who will help me through the difficulties. She also introduced me to ELE, a place to improve my English ability. I am very satisfied with the overseas study program of the university of Auckland, which is a very exciting experience to me

Magnus

Study computer science abroad as a Norwegian masters student

My experience with being a study abroad student at the University of Auckland so far has been quite good. If you're starting at semester 2 (July) don't expect too much from the Orientation as this is mostly information, but join as many SASS events, etc. as possible as this will help you make friends. The studies itself is a bit more work here than what I would say is normal at NTNU's Computer Science program much because work throughout the semester counts toward your grade. I am enrolled in SE254, SE306, CS705, and PHIL105G. There are few to none study abroad students in any of the Software engineering courses, but the locals are very friendly and open if you are. The study abroad team is helpful throughout your application session and replies to emails quickly.

Caitlin

Study Abroad at UoA

The University has been very accommodating and welcoming to all new students on exchange. Auckland in and of itself is convenient and everyone is very open and friendly, especially when you're stuck and need some help. UoA is brilliantly located and getting to class is really just walking down Symonds street. Along the way there are plenty of places to have a coffee or some food. Every Thursday there are sweet and savoury food trucks which is nice to pop by with friends before or after class! The various clubs that are offered here ensure that you get to explore New Zealand and revel in its beauty. The law faculty has been very helpful in fixing course clashes and providing extra support for adjusting to the common law system and expectations.

Definitely join a club or group and go travel around New Zealand and meet new people! Experience all of it!
Kylie

American Abroad

I came to study at UOA through another study abroad program back home in the States, and I'm so glad I came. I've studied abroad in the past, but New Zealand is so different than what I've experienced before! Auckland is simultaneously a bustling city and a lush, verdant center. I may not understand the bus system quite yet, but that won't stop me from exploring everything I can! Options for weekend trips are abundant and of course you can join one of the great clubs on campus. Auckland is a vibrant and incredibly diverse place, too, so you are guaranteed to find something you truly appreciate or connect to. I'm so grateful for this opportunity and I cannot wait for other's to take advantage of it. By the end, I'd say that we're all honorary kiwis!

Paulina

So much to do, so little time!

Absolutely loved the diversity of weekend activities present at University of Auckland. Whether on-campus (fitness classes, clubs, expos, sooooo many yummy food trucks, Study Abroad program excursions/meetups) or off-campus (island visits, downtown Auckland, cute coffee shops for studying and hanging out on every corner practically, bars/clubs, weekend/day trips just a few hours away, cheap flights to the South Island, etc.), I found myself without very many free days. Of course, we have to squeeze in study time somewhere, but even then there were so many places I could study (i.e. library, coffee shops, my home, with friends, local library, etc.). Overall, great travel experience, and the Uni makes it very easy to go with or without them--your preference!

Personally speaking, I ended up in a less-than-ideal housing situation (as did a few friends of mine) so perhaps something could be done to remedy this i.e. asking students about cleanliness levels/matching students up rather than just making everything random. it's livable, just not ideal.
Dara

Having a Great Time!

This University has given me a lot to choose from in terms of both academics and activities outside of class. There is always something enjoyable to do to get you out and about campus. The lecturers are reasonable and the course content is interesting. It provides an adequate academic challenge and many resources are available if you're struggling with your academics. Most things are posted on Canvas. Additionally, if you have any questions, you can usually email the lecturers or tutors about it and they'll answer your questions. Alternatively, you could stay after class one day to ask them in person. Tutorials are also extremely helpful in allowing people to clear up any concerns they have with the coursework or lectures. The University overall has a very good system going for it.

What was your funniest moment?
I think on the first day that it rained, watching people slip and fall (including myself) was pretty funny.
Nichole

Very good!!

U of A is a great university!! I feel challenged by my classes and know that i can reach out for help!! Really great university! I’m glad I chose here to study abroad :) I was really afraid at first of being in new courses away from home but I of A really made me feel at home. Everyone is very nice and happy to help. I wish I knew more about the resources given to me as a student, I feel like I and not using all that I can to be the best student I can be. I chose this program to study abroad because it is so far from home. I am from the states and so it is a long way to New Zealand. I knew that the teaching styles would be very different and foreign as well so I prepared myself for that but it was very easy to adjust to and the fact that the lectures are recorded is very helpful.

I would improve the exposure to the resources offered to students.
Contessa

Semester Abroad

Coming to the University of Auckland was one of the best decisions I've ever made! It is conveniently located, making it easy to get to almost any where for adventures. Some of my favorite things I've gotten to do is take the ferry to many different islands, enjoyed the excitement of Queen Street, and attended events at Eden Park! The transiting systems here are so easy to use, I was traveling around every weekend! The amount of memories and friends that I have made while here warms my heart and I am so glad I picked New Zealand to experience this abroad semester in. Everywhere I went embraced adventure and travel. It is honestly one of the best things a person can do in their life. Even some classes go on island field trips! The professors here are amazing and supportive. They want to see you succeed in every way, which is really great.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The amount of hiking I have done while here has been crazy! There are so many beautiful destination to see in New Zealand, especially around the Auckland area. All the views that I have seen have lefted me in awe.
Miranda

Fantastic Study Abroad

Study Abroad at the University of Auckland is a fantastic opportunity! Going into my first semester, everyone has been so helpful and encouraging, especially assisting to aid my nervousness in starting something new so far from home. From the food to the scenery, Auckland is definitely a wonderful place to be.
The various clubs/programs for Study Abroad students is also very helpful in getting yourself adjusted to a new place, meeting new people, and planning a lot of trips to various places around the country! The opportunities offered in these programs apply towards a lot of different interests so you are bound to find something that you enjoy!
To anyone considering the University of Auckland for Study Abroad/Exchange it is a wonderful choice!!

If you have the opportunity to do something you want to do, definitely take it!
Naomi

Abroad in New Zealand.

Studying abroad in Auckland truly is an amazing experience. There is such different culture here, especially with the integration and respect of the indigenous peoples. Everyone is so kind here, and it has been an adventure getting to understand the culture and (try) to integrate! New Zealand itself is beautiful and super fun. While I did not participate as much in the study abroad mixers and events, I found myself in some pretty cool destinations, such as Raglan and Rotorua, and those are also epic places to meet people, and stay in unique, safe hostels! Everyone here is so connected to their physical environment, because of the plentiful things to do just a few kilometers away from you. Moreover, the overall processes associated with normal university and living things are so much cheaper and easier than the U.S., because everyone is here to help you! This country is amazing!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I went to Rotorua, and saw so many geothermal vents! I visited Wai-O-Tapu and it just wow-ed me. There are so many geological sites that you cannot find anywhere else around the world, making studying abroad here a once in a lifetime experience!
Ajda

Go to New Zealand!

I currently have two months left on my 12-months-long exchange to the University of Auckland, New Zealand, and I am really sad my time here is coming to an end! I had so much fun in the last 10 months, I met so many amazing new people, and travelled around New Zealand, Australia and Cook Islands. I went out of my comfort zone so many times it feels like my comfort zone expanded by a million times. I took a Maori culture course on Kapa Haka which is so much fun, and I couldn't do that anywhere else. I live in such a cool student accommodation with 30 other like-minded people, we hang out all the time, this weekend we even filmed a movie for a film festival! Honestly, going to New Zealand for my year abroad was the best decision I have ever made!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would not waste any day I had in this beautiful country!
David
No, I don't recommend this program

my experience abroad

I had done a little research before attending UoA. It was one of the few places of my options for the Exercise Science program. Coming from a big city in the states, after seeing the population of 1.4 million which is a dramatic difference than from the city in the states where I am from 3.2 million just for the metro area alone. I wan't expecting the University to be so congested. I'd compare it to the streets of downtown LA or the streets of New York. Students like to walk 3 or 4 people deep on the sidewalks which makes it even more of a task to navigate from class to class. It is bad enough the sidewalks are half size of the city I am from. The one department that was very useful for me was the disabilities support. I was able to get the accommodations I needed for my classes.

The local students tend to show a bit of disrespect to the instructors as a person that had to pay double the amount to attend classes it is a bit of a distraction. Not mentioning programs new international students may join but then have many obstacles or to be told it isn't offered for that semester.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About The University of Auckland

The University of Auckland is located in the heart of New Zealand's largest and most cosmopolitan city. Ranked in the world's top 100* universities, the University of Auckland has a strong research focus where students have the opportunity to learn...