Study Abroad at the University of Auckland, NZ

Combine an unforgettable travel experience with studying at a top-100 ranked university. We are New Zealand’s leading university and offer world-class facilities, excellent teaching and a friendly and supportive learning environment.

In our Study Abroad program, choose from more than 120 subjects to earn credits for your major or explore new areas including disciplines not offered at your home university. Subjects popular with our Study Abroad students include Anthropology, Māori/Pacific Studies, Wine Science, Marine Science, Environmental Science and Film, TV & Media Studies.

Auckland is flanked by two harbors, with stunning beaches on both coasts, beautiful islands a short ferry-ride away and lots of water-related activities. For those who prefer their feet firmly on land, Auckland offers lush subtropical forests for hiking and (dormant) volcanoes to climb. Urbanites will enjoy the city’s many cultural and sporting events, festivals, restaurants and vibrant shopping precincts.

The weather can be hugely variable in one day. The summer months are hot and sunny, while in winter the temperature does drop quite a bit but it was never below 0 when I was there. My advice to you is always carry an umbrella just in case!

xincheng

A lucky girl and her impression of UoA

First of all, I’d like to say that I feel really lucky to be here, because in my home school, there is only one quota able to study in UoA. So I felt very excited when I found myself passed through the selection. And there are two reasons why I dream of coming here, the first is that I have a best friend here who majors in food science (we have been schoolmates since primary school, and she came here during the last year of senior high; as I came here, now we can continue to be schoolmates even in university and that’s really fascinating), while the second is that the law school in UoA has a high ranking in the world rankings. As for life in UoA, what impressed me most is the “anti-discrimination” sign in general library and many other places, I really appreciate the attitude of university to emphasize on equality. And compared to my homeland, UoA really shows a great respect towards LGBT group, I have seen the rainbow flag (attached) many times. In addition, I do enjoy the comfortable atmosphere in UoA library, I’d like to spend my whole day sitting in the library and reading and writing. In a word, life here is really enjoyable and peaceful, thanks for study abroad program providing me this opportunity. <3

Sabrina

Life in NZ

The University of Auckland gave me a very unique experience. The uni is located in the perfect place. It's central to the city which made college life easy, but it was also easy to get out of the city and enjoy nature, perfect for the weekends! The UoA gave students the best of both lives with academics that were challenging and fundamental to your education and also a social life with various club offerings and events put on by faculty to help you enjoy your time there. In terms of work load, the UoA is very laidback, but tests are demanding so putting in the work is needed. Although class sizes are quite large professors are easily accessible and there are many forum sites used for classes so definitely use them! The UoA has so many resources for all aspects of student life and New Zealand itself is an amazing country to be in.

I would improve this program by bettering the housing. Although overall the physical housing is quite good, the inner workings of it caused me the most trouble throughout my time here. Things like washing machines always breaking can cause unneeded stress for a student abroad. It would have also been nice for the study abroad department of the university to put on more free events.
Sara

A Great Place to Explore

I knew very little about New Zealand before coming but I wanted to go to a new place that otherwise I would probably not come visit in my lifetime. The campus is located in the heart of the city which makes exploring the city very easy. Traveling to other areas of New Zealand is challenging because most places are a few hours away and therefore require renting a car and making a weekend out of it. The classes are good and there is lots of support for international students and events to stay busy and meet new people. While not a super culture rich city, the closeness to nature is a draw and being on the harbor is beautiful! Locals are super friendly and very interested in giving recommendations on where to go and things to do if you ask and try to get involved!

Natalie

Location of campus

The location of the campus is great. You will never feel stuck in the campus since we are so close to the city. There are so many food places inside campus and outside in the city. Everyone seems pretty close knit with each other and the professors are very friendly. There are also a lot of study abroad/exchange students and many clubs that involve sa or exchange. The study abroad program at the university also puts on events to welcome students which is nice.

More involvement with non study abroad/exchange students would be nice
Sabene

First Time Abroad

I like UoA, but I get very lonely here. I wish the orientation broke into groups so you'd meet more people in the beginning. Otherwise, the location is nice and there are a lot of things to do. Great country to come to if you love the outdoors. Kiwi are nice people and the country is very safe. I wish the instruction for my STEM classes was better i.e. offered more support. This review is kind of all over the place, but in general I like the school, just being away from home is hard.

More orientation events to meet people in smaller groups.
Bibi

Uni of auckland

I am having a great time at the university of Auckland.
The program is good! I have met so much people here and the support of the university is really good. They have a lot of activities here and really make you feel at home! For future participants I want to say: never say no to any activity do as much as possible. It is a great city with kind people. Don't be afraid to go on a little adventure. Also on wednesdays there are 5 dollar movies they are amazing!

The housing project could be improved. The matching for roommates is done really badly in my case.
Sasha

"Yeah, I'd probably enjoy study abroad..."

I applied to study abroad on a bit of a whim, and I'm so glad I did! I had heard about Auckland Uni from a school friend who did Semester 1 2017 here, and so far everything and everyone has lived up to what I was told. While Auckland itself is a bit of a sleepy city, I've found the university community- from staff, to kiwi students, to other international/study abroad students- to be welcoming, helpful, kind, and easy to find and talk to if needed. I've been able to take classes in every stage (including post grad), travel across the country on weekends, and have even enjoyed a few afternoons studying on campus. Professors here are extremely welcoming of study abroad students and so far mine have gone out of their way to help and take an interest in us, which has helped me a lot since my program at home is small and intimate. My advice is to grab those seat sales on AirNZ and Jetstar and explore the entire country! NZ landscapes are diverse and beautiful, the people are friendly, and long-haul flights don't exist! And take classes in all stages and departments, Auckland Uni has some fun and interesting classes you likely can't take at home.

More workshops/events for current study abroad students and how to market our international experience
Sandy

Great time here in Auckland!

Studying abroad here is one of the best decisions I've ever made! I have met so many interesting people and learned so much about New Zealand while here that I'm already looking forward to the next time I can come back to the country. Auckland's location makes my time here even better as there is so much to do in the city but if I'm looking to go hiking up a volcano one day, it's only a ferry ride away.

Anouk

Study Abroad in Auckland!

I'm still in Auckland, but so far it has been an amazing experience. First of all, a lot of information is available on the general website that I could already access before applying, which made the application way easier. Besides that, it is great that the University of Auckland offers accommodation for all the international students. I would have had no idea how to find a room otherwise, coming from the other side of the world. I experience the city and the campus as safe and lively. There are a lot of places to get food or drinks on campus and the City campus is located next to Albert Park, where you can walk around if you're done with uni for a while. Something that made me feel really welcome was the Study Abroad Students' Society, a club for international students. They organize a lot of activities and trips which makes it easier to meet new people. Besides that, the University of Auckland offers more than 200 clubs that you can join, ranging from sports to debate to culture/country clubs. In the Netherlands, we don't have this, so this was a great opportunity for me to experience some new sports like surfing, diving and tramping and meet new people (locals and internationals). And as soon as you've made new friends, the study abroad experience will continue to get better because New Zealand is a country with a lot of interesting history and beautiful places to go to. I've already seen so much, and there are still 4 more months left! Oh and make sure you see a rugby game if possible. Although I don't like the sport, the experience of being in the stadium with all these cheering people and seeing why this is the national sport makes this a worthwhile experience!

- extending the course outlines online, so that you know better what the content of the course is.
Response from The University of Auckland

Hi Anouk,

Thanks for your comprehensive feedback.

I am glad to hear that you are active in a lot of activities and clubs on campus.

The Study Abroad team is working with the faculties to make all detailed course descriptions available online (most of them are already accessible online) and we hope this gets done by the end of this year.

Hope you have a great time for the rest of your stay.

Best wishes.
Sarah

Julie

University of Auckland

The University of Auckland made a good impression that started already before I arrived. The staff was very helpful in answering questions when selecting courses, applying for my visa ect. The Facebook group that the university made before arriving was an amazing way to get to meet other students when coming all alone to a new country.
In general, the university and its staff is very helpful when you need it!

There could be a few more social events in the introduction/orientation week
Julie

Review University of Auckland

The University of Auckland has made a good impression that started already before I arrived. The staff was very helpful in answering questions when choosing courses, applying for visas ect. The Facebook group that the university made was an amazing way to get to meet other students when coming all alone to a new country. This was so great. Also, the introduction week introducing the Maori culture was good. In general, the university and its staff is very helpful when you need it!

The introduction week could have had more social events as well.
Dieke

Good education, but not a vibrant student city

The education at UoA is good and the support they offer is outstanding. However, Auckland itself is utter boring and I’m really missing the student culture in my home city, for example the vibrant nightlife over there. I do really enjoy studying at UoA, but for future students I would recommend doing as many trips as possible to get out of Auckland and see everything else this beautiful country has to offer... ;)

Katie

Study Abroad Experience

I really enjoyed the program, I've learned a lot while studying in Auckland! I love my courses and all of my professors have been very helpful and knowledgeable. I really enjoyed the two week mid semester break where we were able to travel and study; I went to the South Island and saw the most amazing views! Overall I would definitely recommend this program to students looking for a city campus filled with diversity.

-More affordable travel options for Exchange students
-Different meal plan options for students who prefer to cook their own meals
Qucheng

Amazing life and study experience in UOA

1)wonderful life experience here
2)making new friends
3)good academic support
4) a lovely country with nice citizens and one of the world best natural sceneries. When I had the trip to the south island with four other friends during the mid-term break, we rent a car and travelled for 12 days. It is one of the most amazing trips I had ever had. So many new things I tried and so many sceneries I have never seen elsewhere.

Jessica

10/10 do not regret my decision

I've found the experience to be pretty good so far. The workload is a lot heavier than at my home university (though this is probably because all of my courses here are 100% coursework rather than exam), but there's plenty of support available if needed. I've met some great people, seen so many great places, and had some fab experiences so I'm definitely happy that I chose to study at Auckland. :)

Auckland's a really great city to live in and is super easy to settle in to (and find things to do). I'm already a little concerned that I'm really going to miss it when I have to leave.

I don't really know to be honest. Maybe a few workshops/a bit more guidance regarding essay styles at Auckland. I'm taking all stage 3 classes so was kind of thrown into the deep end. To be honest though, this was easy to resolve by just emailing my professors, so no big deal.

About The University of Auckland

The University of Auckland is located in the heart of New Zealand's largest and most cosmopolitan city. Ranked in the world's top 100* universities, the University of Auckland has a strong research focus where students have the opportunity to learn...