Customized Study Abroad Experience in Lima, Peru!

EdOdyssey's study abroad program in Lima, Peru is especially for undergraduate and gap year students. The programs includes pre-departure preparation, month-long orientation program, intensive Spanish language course, three excursions, monthly cultural activities, and more.

We customize the experience just for yo. Based on your interests and preferences we match you with a compatible host family, help place you in an internship or volunteer experience and have a local team to advise and support you 24/7.

Peru is the most ecologically diverse country in the world with 84 of the 103 existing ecosystems. Lima is an amazing city (even bigger than New York) that is affordable, diverse and offers something for everyone. It really is the perfect place to break out and become a global citizen! Please visit our website for more details and to begin your application.

• Guaranteed internship or service project
  • Local advisors and support staff
  • Three free excursions - including Machu Picchu!
  • Comprehensive, month-long culture orientation and intensive language program
  • Great, hand-matched homestay family

Yarlenis

Study abroad

Studying abroad for 6 months is not an easy decision to make. Going to Peru, I was open minded but had doubts of what would happen throughout the hard times. Fortunately, I had the pleasure of getting to know Peru with the Ed Odessy program, which countless times supported me and fully attended to all my needs and doubts. Soon Peru became like a home to me, thanks to the program coordinator and the other staff who constantly went above and beyond what was expected of them to ensure that we all were well accommodated. The additional trips that were offered throughout the semester and the volunteer opportunities were definitely a huge part of my experience and I am grateful to have been a part of such a beautiful thing. This program enhanced my experience in Peru, and I will be forever grateful for such opportunity.

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment was during my trip to Iquitos. I am not a fan of nature, while this trip was very beautiful and eye opening, their were many moments where I laughed because of my ridiculous fear of some animals.
Nury

Semester abroad in Lima, Peru

Studying abroad for spring semester 2019 was not an easy decision for me. I was very nervous and did not know what to expect. Fortunately enough, the EdOdyssey program helped me transition smoothly and have a great experience in a foreign country. From the moment of arrival in Lima with a warm welcome from the program coordinator, I knew that I had made the right decision. The staff members are very supportive throughout the journey and ensure that all of the participant’s needs are met. Additionally, the program trips and activities helped me become immersed in a community that soon felt like home. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is considering stepping out of their comfort zone to embark on a new adventure and might be in need of some excellent guidance!

Be open minded. Rather than comparing your place of stay to your native country, be present and take in the full experience.
Stephanie

No words

Studying abroad has changed my life forever. Peru gave me so many life lessons, and after 6 months of living here I feel prepared to take on what the future holds. The program in Peru is very well organized and offers a smooth and helpful transition. The staff members help with culture shock, homesickness, and really anything you need. Peru offers both the experience of a big city and meeting new people but also the intimacy of immersing yourself into a Peruvian family with your host. My experience was also enhanced through the many trips it offered; the Amazon(iquitos), Ica(the desert) and Machu Picchu. Peru has taught me so much about myself, enhanced my love for travel and offered me a new meaning of what home is. Definitely recommend!!!

What was your funniest moment?
I had many funny moments but the most giggles I had was on the iquitos trip!!!
Jodalis

Review for 2018-2019 year

I participated in the EdOd program for an entire academic year and it was absolutely amazing. From the moment you get to Lima there is someone there ready to guide you and the month long orientation, is one their best features. It really helps you settle in a feel less like stoutest and more like a member of the community. The host families are awesome as well, the team is really thorough in placing people in homes where they will feel comfortable and thrive. I loved my host family and think it made my experience all the better. Over this is such an awesome program and the team is excellent, there was never a moment I felt unsafe or that I wasn’t able to reach someone in cases of emergencies. if you’re looking for an experience that will challenge you and grow as a person I definitely recommend this program.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I was really nervous about the host family situation because I have a few dietary needs but somehow the program was able to find a great host family who was super accommodating and understanding.
Liam

Student

My summer stay in Miraflores while taking Spanish classes at El Sol and being able to go to the Amazon for 4 days was a great and worldly experience! I learned a lot, met some really great people, and exposed myself to a part of the world that a lot of people don’t get exposed to. I’d love to be able to back to Peru and I hope it’s sooner than later! Edodyssey really did a great job with this program. Very professional and helping staff that show how much they care about what they do.

Sandy

Study Abroad with Edodyssey

The coordinators of the program were amazing and super helpful during my whole study abroad experience. The program is very well designed with activities for students to immerse in Lima. Through volunteering trips and cultural outings I got a sense of life in Peru and I learned so much about the country and culture. The trips are well coordinated as I never had an issue in any of them, and they are well picked as I got a glimpse of Costa, Sierra, y Selva en Peru. Thank you so much Patty and Luciana for showing me your country and making these past months memorable.

Brian

College of the Holy Cross ---> PUCP (Lima, Peru): Excellent experience and would recommend

EdOdyssey's approach to the "study abroad" experience is unique, as it strived to immerse us in Peruvian culture, traditions, and language, rather than dumping students into apartment buildings with a brief orientation session. We were placed with host families throughout Lima. My host family helped me to do simple things like: navigate the city, learn how to take the bus, etc. They also taught me about Peruvian customs, traditions, jokes, etc. EdOdyssey did a great job with host family selection!

EdOdyssey also worked to make sure that we we became familiar with various parts of Peruvian history and geography by taking us on trips/excursions to different parts of the country (a 4/5 day trip to Iquitos, 3-4 day trip to Ica, etc.).

Their orientation for us was simple, hands off, but valuable. They taught us about the main districts of Lima, safety, language, transportation. They also brought us to museums and archeological sites. These were important to learn about Lima as a visitor (ie- how to safely travel, etc.), but also as a citizen of the world (what happened during the 80s/90s? Who were Sendero Luminoso? What happened under Fujimori? etc.). While there were a variety of different tours, they were not overwhelming. We still had plenty of time to go out and discover the city on our own terms.

**One quick note: I went to Lima January 2017-August 2017. While there has been some changes since to EdOdyssey's staff, there is one thing that I want to warn about: our site leader was a bit unorganized. She was almost always 1-1.5 hours late, and often times had not fully prepared us/herself for the trip (not sending a reminder about what types of things to pack, not knowing that the restaurant that she had planned to bring us to would be closed at that time of the day, etc.). I have been in touch since with their directors and understand that there have been some staff changes, so this may no longer be a problem.

Overall: this is a great program. The above complaint aside, staff members are very kind, and really do want to help you learn about what it means to be a Peruvian. They aim to give a snapshot into daily life, culture, and customs. If you're interested in getting a genuine culture immersion, go with EdOdyssey!!

Lima Peru
Jake

Gap Year Excursion to Peru!

I could not have had a more amazing experience in Peru through EdOdyssey! My name is Jake Leary, and before starting Harvard this fall, I took a gap year. One of my goals for this year was to go outside of my comfort zone and travel internationally for the first time. EdOdyssey was the perfect group for my gap year. They were helpful with every step of planning my trip (about a half semester) and assisting with all of my activities, homestay family, volunteer opportunities, and acclimating to Lima during my time in Peru. Trekking through the Amazon rainforest with Patty was one of my favorite experiences of my trip, along with the amazing pics of the all the wildlife! I loved waking up every morning and talking with my host family over breakfast all in Spanish- it was the perfect daily practice that I needed to improve my Spanish! Whenever I had any questions or problems, Luciana, Patty, and Rey were always there to help me. One experience that had a strong impact on me was participating in volunteer work in Pamplona, an undeveloped community where I was able to help build stairs out of concrete. Seeing the difference in the community in real time was incredible. During my excursion to Peru, I was able to witness and learn about different cultural aspects of Peru, and my favorite was probably the food! For my trip, I was able to combine taking Spanish classes, participating in activities, volunteer work, and traveling within Peru. If you are thinking about taking a gap year, do it and travel the world if you can, especially Lima!