ISA Study Abroad in Lima, Peru

ISA Study Abroad in Lima, Peru

Venture off the beaten path in Peru with ISA—International Studies Abroad! This study abroad opportunity affords you the best of Lima, Peru's capital city: your choice of three top universities, flexibility in length and season of study, and a wide variety of courses. Business and economics majors will turn to the Universidad del Pacifico, which boasts a high tech campus and a well-established faculty. Pontifical Catholic University of Peru, the oldest private college in the country, prides itself on its research and academic work!! Lastly for our pre-med and health majors, the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia is one of the leading medical schools in Peru and students are able to do a summer program focused on health sciences and medical Spanish!

Lima is an incredible city, filled with activities for all interests. With seasoned on site support, students often are empowered to find their own communities within the bustling city making for an unforgettable experience abroad.

South America » Peru » Lima

Kemin
Houghton, MI
Michigan Technological University

My Summer in Lima, Peru

I would definitely recommend this program. I had an incredible experience combining Study Abroad with Service Learning in El Hospital del Nino while staying with a Peruvian host family. My language skills improved immensely, I gained an appreciation for the Peruvian culture, and met wonderful people from around the world. Study abroad has been a highlight of my college career and a life changing experience. The onsite staff through ISA are absolutely amazing--willing to help out with anything at anytime. I would also suggest signing up for all of the excursions. I went to on trips to the rainforest, to Cusco and Machu Picchu, and to a desert oasis/beach town, and those were highlights of my entire trip.

If I could change one thing, I would have gone for an entire semester instead of just a summer program. Two months was much too short, and the summer programs don't provide the same opportunity to meet local students, because the courses are only for ISA students.

David
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
South Dakota State University

An excellent way to spend a semester!

This was an incredible program! The on-site staff were always there to look out for you but gave everyone enough independence so they could enjoy their trip as they saw fit. The program was more expensive than others but with all of the big trips planned and paid for along with weekend excursions it saved the headache and hassle of having to plan your own side trips within the country. I was very fortunate to have a wonderful group of other Americans there and we all connected and formed a lifelong bond. Life in another country is not always easy but it is the most rewarding way to spend a semester in college!

The price of the program is high but with everything that is included it is an incredible value!

Emily
Chattanooga, Tennessee
University of Tennessee- Chattanooga

Best experience yet!!

The ISA Lima crew is quite simply the best!! If I were to study abroad again I would definitely go through ISA!! All of your housing, food, and excursions are included in the cost. Everything is set up for you when you arrive, this is great so you can enjoy your city instead of worrying about housing! Our group became a family and this made the five months in Lima even better!!

The only thing I can think of would be to have a discount program with a few airlines. Airfare is not included because students are coming from all over the U.S. and rates are different depending on location.

Claire
Detroit, Michigan
Grand Valley State University

Great city + great people = AWESOME time!

I studied in Lima during the fall semester of my junior year of college - Fall 2012. ISA as a company prepares you well before you go overseas, doing its best to pair you with a more the. Adequate family who either has hosted students for years and/or are personally known by the on-site staff. The on-site staff provided a comprehensive day-long introductory course to the city, and culture. They helped us as a group of foreign students understand the socially acceptable behavior and the faux paus as well. The biggest challenge, but wonderful adventure, was understanding and getting used to using the public transportation 'system'. The staff consists of mainly native Peruvians. They were available 24/7 by phone, e-mail or to physically accompany/assist us with whatever we needed. Once, when my roommate & I had signed up to run the McDonald's "Mujeres Corremos 2012" 5k race our director & one of her employees genrously chauferred us to the packet pickup. The group trips to Machu Picchu, the Amazon, etc, were extremely well planned & exposed us to the insanely diverse & beautiful country that is "el Peru". As a result of the staff's & my host family's help, and my love of adventure I became comfortable maneuvering by myself around the city. Moreover, my roomate and I were placed with a great family. We had siblings both younger and older. All of them helped us get around before we were comfortable on our own
Our Mom took us to the zoo one day! And shopping to various districts. Not only did they adopt us into their family (celebrations too) our parents taught us about many cultural & historically & politically important issies or events. I am extremely grateful to have been placed with a family who so highly valued our well-being. FYI - Lima is HUGE. There's never a dull moment. Festivals, mercados, restaurants and clubs always provide something to do. Honestly, I can truly call Lima home. I highly recommend this program for its quality staff and great cultural & learning experience. Porfa, vente! Lima te está llamando!

The coordination between program and university was a little frustrating. Communication regarding class registration at the USIL (no longer a partner with ISA) was too drawn out...we registered literally 2-3 days before classes were to start. Often it was the university's fault for their lack of organization and clarity of communication of their policies, and expectations of the exchange students. We all had difficulty registering for the classes we had originally wanted. The quality of a number (definitely not all) of the language classes were very poor. My friends were placed in levels too elementary for their spanish-speaki lng abilities. Thankfully this university is no longer partnered with ISA. Just be aware d this communication/coordination issue when registering for any classes with any university. Strive for clarity on the university's side.

Korinne
California
Point Loma Nazarene University

Peru wants you!

Studying abroad through ISA has been one of the best decisions I have ever made! My semester in Peru was the higlight of my college years.
The ISA on-site staff was amazing and always went above and beyond for us. We were introduced to the city and given time to explore before classes started. My host family was amazing and was well-trained, making for a comfortable stay.
ISA planned several included trips throughout the semester and it was great to do all of that traveling together with a knowledgeable leader each time.
Some experiences that Peru gave me:
sand boarding, eating cuy (guinea pig), eating anticuchos (cow heart), eating passionfruit, paragliding, piranha fishing, swimming in the amazon river, sleeping in the amazon rainforest!

The university I attended in Lima was rather disorganized but ISA was able to help us students negotiate with the university. Since that semester ISA has dropped their connection with that university.

Samuel
Salt Lake City, Utah

I had the time of my life in Perú.

I had a blast in Perú. It was such an amazing experience visiting a culture so different from mine. I fell in love with the public transportation in the sense that I could get anywhere in the city for very low prices, although it could get somewhat uncomfortable when they packed the buses brim full of people. ISA helped all the students become familiar with the bus routes and how to get to and from school. I will never forget the traffic in Lima.

Maybe just warn the students how much money they will need for specific things during the program. I ran out of money and was under the impression that there would be a ride provided to the airport like there was provided from the airport upon arrival. Everything worked out, but it would be good to make sure each student knows about all of the necessary expenses so that they don't spend too much galavanting around.

Jessica
Texas

Everything I wanted

For me the best part about ISA abroad was the inclusive trips that allowed me to explore my host country without worry. However, the personal relationship with staff and inclusion programs that set up interactions with Peruvians, especially at the beginning of the program, were a close second. The university I studied at was incredibly helpful and provided exactly the academic rigor I wanted. Professors were willing to go above and beyond to help me as an exchange student.

I did a concurrent ELAP which at one point fell through. I was unable to be re-placed into an ELAP for around a month.

Tyler
Jackson, MI

Perú changed my life! (And gave me a wife!)

I am from out in the country in the USA so living in the city was quite different and it was hard to get used to the transportation, first and foremost. But after about 2 weeks of taking taxi´s and the busses, I figured my way around the city quite easily.

Being in classes that were completely in Spanish was definitely difficult. I actually didn't pass one of my classes because I was too proud to get a tutor even though I needed one. But this class was a literature class that was one of the tougher classes anyways.

In regards to support from the company, the on-site staff was amazing!! I would visit the staff's office literally everyday to do homework or ask for some help understanding something, or to get help with some directions with somewhere I wanted to go. They were extremely helpful!!

The social scene was great, too. Right away, ISA introduced the whole group to some local peruvians our age in order to help us get a little bit more integrated into the community. They knew people that worked at the big clubs of the city so we were always put on the lists of people to get in and didn't have to pay a cover....that was awesome!

The program definitely changed my life. Within a week and a half of starting the program, I met my wife. We spent a lot of time together during the program and were able to continue our relationship after I came back to the U.S.A. Now she is living here with me and we have a 1 year old daughter! :D

Jill
Tempe, AZ
Arizona State University

ISA - Lima was amazing!

My experience with ISA was wonderful. The support staff they have in Lima are really caring, fun and extremely helpful to the students. All of our excursions were well planned and they did a great job giving us on-site support at our universities and with personal emergencies that arose during the program. My host family really helped me get acquainted with living in Lima and gave me a real home there. All the challenges that I had while being in Peru came from USIL (Universidad de San Ignacio de Loyola) which is no longer associated with ISA or just from the difficulties of living in a large city in South America. I would highly recommend this program to anybody looking to study in Peru.

The main issue with the program was with the university I was at (USIL), and the semester after I left they eliminated this college from the program, leaving two other well respected colleges that students could attend.

Madalena
Lexington, KY
University of Kentucky

Once in a lifetime experience

Everything I did in Peru I would have never done on my own. I'm so glad I went with a program that took me places I never even knew existed and challenged me to embrace a whole new culture. The people in Peru are amazing, and I'm so glad I had the chance to live and experience it.

The classes were difficult, especially since they were business classes in Spanish. But, my language skills improved significantly.

Jesse
Castleton, Vermont
Castleton University

Great Experience

As a graduation requirement for my major I needed to study abroad in a Spanish-Speaking country for at least one semester. ISA, International Study Abroad was heavily recommended to me by several members of the faculty at my college. I chose to study in Lima, Peru, at the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru (PUCP). I chose to study for two separate semesters fall, and spring, although a year long program was offered, but I would have needed to wait until spring, as it is a spring-fall program. I could have directly enrolled in the University the second semester, and my found my own lodging, but I was so impressed with ISA I decided to stay within their program

I lived with a different family set up by ISA each semester. Both families were very friendly, and accommodating. ISA took great strides to organize orientation activities, and help the participants to learn about Lima, as well as the country. ISA offers several trips, both included with the program, and available for a reasonable fee. Included trips include Cuzco and Machu Pichu, as well as going to Iquitos.

Overall the majority of my time was spent in Lima, going to classes during the week. I made a variety of friends, went on some trips of my own, explored the city, and enjoyed Lima's nightlife as well as excellent culinary traditions. By my second semester I spent the vast majority of my time only with Peruvians, any I left being fluent in Spanish. ISA offers tutoring for your courses, and has an office at each of the Universities offered through their program. The main ISA office is always open to students who need some guidance or help.

I wish that I had spent more time with the tutors offered, as taking classes in Spanish was difficult for me, and ultimately I did fail several courses. While Lima is a cheap place to live, I should have saved up more spending money for the first semester, as my second semester I was better off and was able to more enjoy the city and explore the country. I would also caution perspective students who will study in a country such as Peru, where the USD is very powerful, to be cautious with their money. I and several other students spent far too much money at first, and everything seemed so cheap; ultimately this adds up.

I would not say that the program had any hidden costs, but some of the costs were unexpected, and I wish I had been notified ahead of time. My second semester I was charged for the included trips, but was not offered them. However, ISA quickly refunded the money to my account, and the matter was quickly resolved.

aleand4
Duluth, MN
University of Minnesota

ISA is the best!

If you want to go to a country and really be immersed, ISA is the program to go through! I obviously wanted to learn spanish and from the host families to in the ISA offices strictly speaking spanish was encouraged and I can say I easily came away with a better spanish speaking ability than many of my friends who studied abroad through other programs in other countries. ISA prepares you for everything they can before you arrive, once you get there, and for anything else that comes up they are there to help you out 100%, 24/7. I have never met a more caring group of people than those that work for ISA-Peru. They expose you to so many different cultural aspects through amazing excursions and plenty of activities within Lima as well. I could never say enough good things about this program or my time there, I still love telling others about my experience and encouraging everyone to study abroad, of course I always put a little plug in to recommend ISA becuase if all the ISA programs are as amazing the one in Lima, then there's nothing to lose!

Acudamae
Auburn, Alabama
Auburn University

ISA Lima

I recommend studying abroad to anyone who is thinking about it. You learn much more than a classroom can ever teach you and you make friends that will last your entire lifetime. Don't be afraid to take a risk and try something new, you never know what will happen!

As a leader in international education for over twenty-five years, ISA is dedicated to providing university level students with the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education abroad programs across Africa,