ISA Study Abroad in Lima, Peru

Venture off the beaten path in Peru with ISA—International Studies Abroad! This study abroad opportunity affords you the best of Lima, Peru's capital city: your choice of three top universities, flexibility in length and season of study, and a wide variety of courses. Business and economics majors will turn to the Universidad del Pacifico, which boasts a high tech campus and a well-established faculty. Pontifical Catholic University of Peru, the oldest private college in the country, prides itself on its research and academic work!! Lastly for our pre-med and health majors, the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia is one of the leading medical schools in Peru and students are able to do a summer program focused on health sciences and medical Spanish!

Lima is an incredible city, filled with activities for all interests. With seasoned on site support, students often are empowered to find their own communities within the bustling city making for an unforgettable experience abroad.

ISA Scholarships
ISA Scholarships and Financial Aid

ISA is committed to increasing all students’ access to study abroad’s many benefits. We don't let financial hardships to get in the way of a life changing educational experience.

$350 - $2,000

Emerson

The best moment

It was one of my best moments of my life in recent years and I do not regret doing this program :) Everything is very different and Peru has many beautiful places. In addition to the things that I liked most is to try their variety of food. I also recommend a Facebook group to get advice and recommendations when they are in Peru. ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/exchangestudentinternationslima/ )

Kemin

My Summer in Lima, Peru

I would definitely recommend this program. I had an incredible experience combining Study Abroad with Service Learning in El Hospital del Nino while staying with a Peruvian host family. My language skills improved immensely, I gained an appreciation for the Peruvian culture, and met wonderful people from around the world. Study abroad has been a highlight of my college career and a life changing experience. The onsite staff through ISA are absolutely amazing--willing to help out with anything at anytime. I would also suggest signing up for all of the excursions. I went to on trips to the rainforest, to Cusco and Machu Picchu, and to a desert oasis/beach town, and those were highlights of my entire trip.

If I could change one thing, I would have gone for an entire semester instead of just a summer program. Two months was much too short, and the summer programs don't provide the same opportunity to meet local students, because the courses are only for ISA students.
Read my full story
David

An excellent way to spend a semester!

This was an incredible program! The on-site staff were always there to look out for you but gave everyone enough independence so they could enjoy their trip as they saw fit. The program was more expensive than others but with all of the big trips planned and paid for along with weekend excursions it saved the headache and hassle of having to plan your own side trips within the country. I was very fortunate to have a wonderful group of other Americans there and we all connected and formed a lifelong bond. Life in another country is not always easy but it is the most rewarding way to spend a semester in college!

The price of the program is high but with everything that is included it is an incredible value!
Emily

Best experience yet!!

The ISA Lima crew is quite simply the best!! If I were to study abroad again I would definitely go through ISA!! All of your housing, food, and excursions are included in the cost. Everything is set up for you when you arrive, this is great so you can enjoy your city instead of worrying about housing! Our group became a family and this made the five months in Lima even better!!

The only thing I can think of would be to have a discount program with a few airlines. Airfare is not included because students are coming from all over the U.S. and rates are different depending on location.
Claire

Great city + great people = AWESOME time!

I studied in Lima during the fall semester of my junior year of college - Fall 2012. ISA as a company prepares you well before you go overseas, doing its best to pair you with a more the. Adequate family who either has hosted students for years and/or are personally known by the on-site staff. The on-site staff provided a comprehensive day-long introductory course to the city, and culture. They helped us as a group of foreign students understand the socially acceptable behavior and the faux paus as well. The biggest challenge, but wonderful adventure, was understanding and getting used to using the public transportation 'system'. The staff consists of mainly native Peruvians. They were available 24/7 by phone, e-mail or to physically accompany/assist us with whatever we needed. Once, when my roommate & I had signed up to run the McDonald's "Mujeres Corremos 2012" 5k race our director & one of her employees genrously chauferred us to the packet pickup. The group trips to Machu Picchu, the Amazon, etc, were extremely well planned & exposed us to the insanely diverse & beautiful country that is "el Peru". As a result of the staff's & my host family's help, and my love of adventure I became comfortable maneuvering by myself around the city. Moreover, my roomate and I were placed with a great family. We had siblings both younger and older. All of them helped us get around before we were comfortable on our own
Our Mom took us to the zoo one day! And shopping to various districts. Not only did they adopt us into their family (celebrations too) our parents taught us about many cultural & historically & politically important issies or events. I am extremely grateful to have been placed with a family who so highly valued our well-being. FYI - Lima is HUGE. There's never a dull moment. Festivals, mercados, restaurants and clubs always provide something to do. Honestly, I can truly call Lima home. I highly recommend this program for its quality staff and great cultural & learning experience. Porfa, vente! Lima te está llamando!

The coordination between program and university was a little frustrating. Communication regarding class registration at the USIL (no longer a partner with ISA) was too drawn out...we registered literally 2-3 days before classes were to start. Often it was the university's fault for their lack of organization and clarity of communication of their policies, and expectations of the exchange students. We all had difficulty registering for the classes we had originally wanted. The quality of a number (definitely not all) of the language classes were very poor. My friends were placed in levels too elementary for their spanish-speaki lng abilities. Thankfully this university is no longer partnered with ISA. Just be aware d this communication/coordination issue when registering for any classes with any university. Strive for clarity on the university's side.
Korinne

Peru wants you!

Studying abroad through ISA has been one of the best decisions I have ever made! My semester in Peru was the higlight of my college years.
The ISA on-site staff was amazing and always went above and beyond for us. We were introduced to the city and given time to explore before classes started. My host family was amazing and was well-trained, making for a comfortable stay.
ISA planned several included trips throughout the semester and it was great to do all of that traveling together with a knowledgeable leader each time.
Some experiences that Peru gave me:
sand boarding, eating cuy (guinea pig), eating anticuchos (cow heart), eating passionfruit, paragliding, piranha fishing, swimming in the amazon river, sleeping in the amazon rainforest!

The university I attended in Lima was rather disorganized but ISA was able to help us students negotiate with the university. Since that semester ISA has dropped their connection with that university.
Samuel

I had the time of my life in Perú.

I had a blast in Perú. It was such an amazing experience visiting a culture so different from mine. I fell in love with the public transportation in the sense that I could get anywhere in the city for very low prices, although it could get somewhat uncomfortable when they packed the buses brim full of people. ISA helped all the students become familiar with the bus routes and how to get to and from school. I will never forget the traffic in Lima.

Maybe just warn the students how much money they will need for specific things during the program. I ran out of money and was under the impression that there would be a ride provided to the airport like there was provided from the airport upon arrival. Everything worked out, but it would be good to make sure each student knows about all of the necessary expenses so that they don't spend too much galavanting around.
Jessica

Everything I wanted

For me the best part about ISA abroad was the inclusive trips that allowed me to explore my host country without worry. However, the personal relationship with staff and inclusion programs that set up interactions with Peruvians, especially at the beginning of the program, were a close second. The university I studied at was incredibly helpful and provided exactly the academic rigor I wanted. Professors were willing to go above and beyond to help me as an exchange student.

I did a concurrent ELAP which at one point fell through. I was unable to be re-placed into an ELAP for around a month.