Ecology Summer Study Abroad in Scotland - Adelante Abroad

Edinburgh, Scotland- natural beauty and heritage come to mind with this beautiful, green destination. Scotland's cliffs, freshwater streams, woodlands, and grasslands make this the ideal Ecology study abroad program.

Students will enroll in two courses: "Conservation Skills" and "Habitat Management." Beyond the classroom, this program is majority valuable field experience with site visits, guidance from site managers, field investigations, and exposure to practical management techniques. This program adds to your future marketability in Ecology and Conservation careers/fields.

Excursions are also a part of the package with visits to local heritage sites such as the Isle of May, Edinburgh Castle, Loch Lomond, The Trossachs National Park, and more. With Adelante's program, you are primed for a complete Scottish experience that will last a lifetime.

Please note this program is limited to 16 participants each year, so apply early to secure your placement!

For more details, click on "Visit Site" or if you're ready to fill out an application, click on "Get Started" above. Adelante's support team is excited to hear from you!
  • The two courses included are 90 – 100 hours of instruction. Successful completion of the two courses will give you 6 hours of US credit, fully transferable, towards your degree at your home University or College

Kaylee

Best Summer Program

Adelante's study abroad program exceeded my expectations, I received equal levels of cultural experiences and academic knowledge. The program's lecturers were beyond knowledgable about their respective subjects and wanted us to have the best time possible. This is the easiest and funnest way to earn some college credit whilst you are a in another country.

The staff did struggle with communication to the students about daily activities but it allowed us to learn to be flexible. It was frustrating at times because our course paperwork was not outlined in an orderly fashion but was ultimately finished.

Overall the experience allows participants to juxtapose management systems in Scotland with those in the United States.

-I would change communication between instructors and having a schedule prior to the visit of all the participants.
-I would also change the nutrition of the program. I would have to pay extra to add protein to my meals because it was seldom an option for the program students.
Alan

Scotland

This study abroad trip with Adelante to Scotland was my first experience to see a completely new environment and culture. Although I have been a well versed travel in the Untied States. None of my past experiences come close to the experience I have had in Scotland this past month. For a country that is so small compared to the United States, Scotland has such a diverse landscape. One day we drove about an hour away from our campus with our instructor. All he told us was we were going to take an overnight trip to Loch Lomond and we would be doing some work on the side of Ben Lomond. As we started our hike up Ben Lomond with a spade in one hand and a pair of wellies in the other, we realised was going to be a long day. After a two mile hike up the side of the "wee" hill we started making dams in the peat bogs out of peat. The view from the side of Ben Lomond was definitely worth the hike and labour. From the Lowlands to the Highlands, Scotland has some of the most magnificent scenery I have ever seen. This trip has made me want to visit more places around the world, but hopefully in the near future I can come back to Scotland.

Payton

Scotland

Overall, this program provided a great balance between education and culture. From working in peat bogs to banding birds... even climbing a mountain, we were able to fully experience Scotland and all its beauty.

The positives:
- The work we got to do was unlike any traveling experience. You wouldn't get to do anything we did on any other tour.
- We had Sundays off to explore what we wanted (I recommend the Highlands, Aviemore was such a cute ski town that provided great access to some Highland walks).
- Such a variety of landscape! We got to walk in peat bogs, climb mountains, and walk in sandy beaches. Everything is so close you could do it all in one day.
- The class work never got in the way of having a great time on the sites.

The negatives:
- Lack of communication was a concern. The schedule was changed so many times that we had little to no time in advance to know what we were going to do that day. It would have been nice to know in advance, as we could have planned more outings to Edinburgh and longer weekend trips.
- Food lacked nutrition and there were no substitutes in protein and iron if you are a vegetarian.
- Because of the students on campus, we were not able to call for taxis. Their behaviour spoiled our source of transportation and we needed the staff (and community members when we were off campus) to call the cabs for us.

The positive far out way the negatives. Given the chance to go again, I would do it in a heartbeat!

Scheduling. If the schedule could have been communicated to us better I think we could have better planned outings and trips for ourselves.
Food. There was plenty of food, and it did taste good, but had there been enough protein and iron in our meals I don't think it would have been an issue. But the lack of nourishment was noticeable.
Response from Adelante Abroad

Dear Payton, thank you very much for your detailed review as well as all the positive bullet points. To the helpful points that we can improve on: I spoke with the Environment Team Leader (who heads up our Ecology program in Scotland) to clarify the schedule changes. The staff put their heads together and built what they thought were better visits, practical and class work combinations, but neglected to advise everyone in a timely manner. I’m sure there were apologies at the time and we apologize again for those last minute changes. The feedback from these changes from your group was definitely good, so next year all will be incorporated into the program schedule well in advance. We have met with the catering manager too, and have confirmed a healthy, better balanced diet for all students in this program... independent of their dietary needs (e.g. vegetarians or kosher, for example). In regards to taxi services: if students call out for taxi services out to campus then do not come out to redeem requested services, it is unlikely taxi drivers will come out again. This is apparently what happened. The solution is to run taxi request services through the campus housing office and we will highlight this in Orientation next year. Thank you again for your excellent detail; it helps make the program better for future Ecology Program students!

Sean

Scotland

Prepare for cooler weather and high winds in Scotland, as well as high 60's to mid 70 degree temperatures. Scotland is a beautiful area, with beautiful weather. However, "Scotland can get all 4 seasons in one day" is a very real statement made here, so be prepared for varying weather and tons of fun.

For the most part the program went rather smoothly, however the schedule did change on us quite often and I think it would have been nice to know what we were doing on the changed days.
Allison

Scotland

This trip was an amazing experience. Every day was different - sometimes we would go to nature reserves and speak to habitat managers about their work, other days we would work out on peat bogs, and some days we could sneak in a visit to a castle or two. I learned a lot about conservation in Scotland, and I look forward to applying what I've learned in the future.

Add more structure to the academics. Have more of a time table for assignments.
Madison

Endless culture and fun

Our four weeks was packed with cultural visits, sight seeing, hiking, and fascinating projects pertaining to our field of studies. We were never far away from an ancient burial site, a castle, or a beautiful mountain view. After this trip I am positive that I am in the correct field for my interests and I feel confident that I can succeed in any place my career takes me.

There was a lack of communication between our instructors which was a bit frustrating at times. However, we ultimately completed all of our coursework and we were taken on many really great excursions.
Emerson

Ecology in Scotland

Be prepared for cooler weather, long hikes, and manual labour. I'm not trying to scare anyone away, I just want everyone who is interested to be prepared so bring a comfortable pair of hiking boots. I think this year's program was unlike any other where we worked a lot in bogs or spraying for giant hogweed for example. This program does give you a good idea what it will be like to work in the ecology field from the several nature reserves visited and hands on activities. One day we went bird ringing (or bird banding in the US and my personal favourite thing out of the entire trip) and on other day trip we did electrofishing.

The staff here is incredibly friendly, relaxed, and will do anything they can to make the program more enjoyable for you. They're also extremely knowledgeable in their respected fields and are qualified to work somewhere more posh than the SRUC Oatridge campus. Things are a bit unorganized at times, but you will always be in for a good time. You will receive two assessments where you will get multiple chances to correct mistakes as well.

From the social aspect things are similar, but different in others. The Oatridge campus is located about a 20-30 minute walk to Broxburn. The Scottish locals are just as friendly as the staff and are easy to strike a conversation with.

If you are feeling adventurous, take an overnight trip to Aviemore and hike to the top of Cairngorm Mountain. It has a spectacular view! When you're there you can go from 32 degrees at the top of the mountain to 70s at the lake walking back from the mountain to Aviemore. We stayed at the SYHA hostel and would recommend staying there...it's only £23 a night for one adult.

And if you find yourself in Sterling looking for dinner there is an amazing Indian restaurant called Maharaja.

The worst thing about the program was the lack of communication and control of one of the lecturers. Again, you will always be in for an interesting and enjoyable experience.
Liston

This trip Is worth it

The program is in a beautiful country, next to a beautiful city, and the people here are incredibly nice. Just be ready for 21 hours of sunlight per day and some pretty chilly weather (by my Arkansas standards). I would recommend doing and seeing all you can while you're here. hike some hills, go to a pub, try the local food, and in general make memories. you're only here once, and it was over for me before I knew it.

Erin

This was an incredible experience!

I really enjoyed all of the cultural visits. Castles and forts are my favorite places to explore and we had plenty of those during this trip. We were constantly busy either with field trips or working in the classroom. A typical day would include about one to two hours in the classroom; going out to a site to picnic in the grass or outside a castle; then exploring and learning about the site.
The work load was very reasonable and we were provided with all of the information we needed to complete it. Also, we were given feedback on our completed work and were given the opportunity to make revisions. This extra step was incredibly helpful for me because it allowed me to better understand certain concepts and truly understand the processes that take place during habitat management.
The only difficulty I encountered was when my foot started hurting the first week and remained in pain for about a week. So this made hiking up hills very difficult, but our instructor was very accommodating and was willing to walk at a slower pace.
Overall, this was a great experience and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in this field. It is a great way to learn about the policies and practices of another country.

I think being able to spend time with the other program and having more group social outings.
Julia

Review

This has been a wonderful experience. We have seen so many different ecosystems and historical sites. They had each day planned with something different and exciting. Everything went really well, I have no complaints! Generally, all of the people were very nice and accommodating. I have learned a lot about different ecosystems over the past four weeks. This course was beneficial as well as fun!

Having more activities planned with the equine group would have been fun.
ArkansasAmy

This Program is awesome!

Our day to day life during the four weeks was different everyday. We would spend some mornings in the field or in the classroom; this was different almost every week. All of the field trips were very educational and a lot of fun. We learned about different types of habitats in Scotland and learned how to properly manage them. We meet with different site managers and got to learn how they got their job, what they do at their job, and what they hope to see in the future for their site. This has been the best four weeks out of any summer I have ever had, I wish I didn't have to go home yet! This program taught me a lot of new skills, and it was fun and exciting at the same time.

I wish they would have mixed the ecology and equine programs a little bit better. If there could have been a day or two during the beginning when we could have spent the day doing any activity like the zoo together it would have helped to get us to know everyone and not just the people in our program.
Zach

Scotland and Ecology is a Beautiful Mix

The ecological program in Scotland was a great experience for me. I really loved seeing all the scenic parts around Scotland- the Highlands, nature reserves, castles and so much more. Even the campus itself that you stay at has some gorgeous landscape. The two program courses were very informative and showed me a lot about habitat management and conservation.

RobertaNak

Ecology Summer Program, Scotland

Overall, I had an amazing time in Scotland and in this specific program. The other students in my program were definitely the highlight, since we all got along so well. I have made so many new friends who I hope to see in the future. Seeing Scotland was even more beautiful than I remembered it to be, and we got to see many areas of Scotland that I would not have seen if I was just on a regular tour. The college itself is a wonderful agricultural college with really cool opportunities for students in a beautiful area of West Lothian.

laura

Ecology program review

This experience has overall been very rewarding. The program was a bit a more unstructured than I had thought, but looking back that is what should have been expected as this was the first time this program was being run.

I love how there were cultural visits built into our weekly schedules alongside our coursework activities. Also, the coursework largely consisted of conducting outdoor fieldwork - which I was very excited about. It was a good way to cultivate this fieldwork skill as well as spend time outdoors in the beautiful Scotland countryside.

I'm not sure how the selection process worked for accepting students into this program, but whatever you're doing you're doing it well. All of the ecology students were very fun to work with and we got along well. They were also pretty low maintence and able to go with the flow - an important trait when dealing with a new program such as this.

A few unfortunate things:
The canteen/dining hall was under construction nearly the entire time we were here. The food selection was not what I expected, not a lot of fruits and vegies which can be difficult for people, like myself, with dietary resrictions such as gluten allergies and vegetarian options.
The airport pickup was a bit uncoordinated as well. I was told to arrive at certain time and that an Adelante/Oatridge representative would be there with a sign for me to meet until we had a large enough party to head back to the college. There was no one waiting, and I ended up just having to blindly seek out students in the airport who might be part of the same program. And we were waiting for a while. Which would've been fine if we knew that some help was on the way. The phone numbers we were given to contact Oatridge upon arrival weren't working either - which made it even more difficult to tell if anyone was on their way to get us.
Some of the coursework was not explained in full. There was a big project at the end of the course and everyone in our group thought we were doing something different than what was actually assigned. The organization/coordinatino between different instructors seemed to be lacking a bit - but not too much.

dcwolf

Ecological Conservation Summer Program

Overall, the ecology program at Oatridge University was a good learning experience for my major at the University of Arkansas in environmental, soil, and water science. The biggest aspect of the program I enjoyed was learning about the cultural heritage of many of the practices used currently in Scotland. I found it particularly interesting concerning the use of cattle and other grazing animals over strimming or mowing to control dominant vegetation and general maintence.

About Adelante Abroad

Internship, Volunteer, Semester & Summer Study Abroad Programs define Adelante Abroad's menu of offerings and expertise. Choose to intern overseas in Spain, Ecuador, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, or Scotland. With year round start dates, Adelante is sure...