• South Korea

Dormitory
Aug 29, 2018
Dec 31, 2021
14 travelers are looking at this program

Live and study in Gwangju, the sixth largest city in one of the most rapidly developing nations in East Asia. Enjoy the beautiful natural habitat, delicious cuisine, and rich artistic history of southwestern Korea. Located in the middle of the South Jeolla province, Gwangju is one of the most historically significant areas within the region. It was established as a city in 57 BC and is the birthplace of the modern democratic movement in Korea. During the period of Japanese rule, students in Gwangju ignited one of the major nationwide uprisings of the colonial period. Fifty years later, Gwangju was the site of the May 18 Democratic Uprising against the then-military dictatorship. It’s now home of the Square of Democracy and National Cemetery that commemorates the 518 uprising.

Program Highlights

• Explore one of Korea’s most historic and culturally vibrant cities, home to cultural festivals, art biennales, important historical sites and the birthplace of the modern democratic movement.
  • Choose courses in Korean language, culture and history; business, management, and economics; literature; mechanical engineering; media; political science; psychology; and environmental and health studies.
  • Join in various field trips and extracurricular activities including the Gwangju May 18 Memorial Park, a Korean Folk Village and Temple Stay, Gyeongju, Busan, and the Boryeong Mud Festival.
  • Summer, fall, spring, and yearlong terms are available! Check out the USAC Website for more information.

USAC Scholarships

USAC Scholarships and Financial Aid

USAC awards over $2 million in scholarships and discounts each year to assist students with their study abroad expenses.

$500 - $1,000

Caitlyn

Opportunity of a lifetime and the start of my international life

Going to Gwangju was 2 years in the making when I left for South Korea in February of 2021. Despite the constant concerns about another semester getting cancelled and being stuck back in the US, the program teams both at CNU (the host school) and USAC came through and made the experience so worth the wait. I enjoyed every second there, even cried when I left and now miss my life there terribly. My semester in Gwangju has now encouraged me to pursue going back to South Korea to teach English and going to graduate school overseas. There were so many hurdles to get through because of the pandemic, but I always felt endlessly supported and understood by everyone with my program, and it was amazing to have the opportunity to spend time in Korea even in a pandemic. The locals in Gwangju are some of the most layed-back, caring, and thoughtful people I've ever met, and getting to know people was always so much fun even if my Korean language skill wasn't great. From day one, I felt like I was welcomed by the locals and their immense patience allowed me to dive deep and embrace Korean culture even more. Best. Choice. Ever.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I got the chance to eat pig's intestines a handful of times during my stay in South Korea, and also ended up eating raw crab during my final weeks there. As an adventurous eater already, I'm always down to try something new, if only I could get ahold of such delicious, interesting food back home in the USA!
faux piano player
Alonta

Nostalgic Gwangju

The Experience was amazing. They provided us with a pick up from the airport, which is was amazing. we were giving a buddy through the program and I was with 4 students as well. We went to a baseball game together and also during the tour program were together. There were do many different student that it was easy to adapt especially because of the buddy. the food was amazing, I had one travel partner when I was there and we went to different restaurants. I am still in contact with her till this day. It is an opportunity to get out your comfort zone. I was able to explore Gwangju and other locations, we went to a temple, Busan, and went to a mud festival and meet some nice people there. my favorite memory was when my buddy had us over for a homestay and his parent cooked for us. They were very amazing people, so kind, and I really appreciated the fact that they took time out of their day to cook for us and talk to us. Some helpful tips are if there is a meeting or activity plan, it is a good idea to go and participant because you never know who you will meet. Make sure you have enough money and budget out how much you want to spend. don't be scare to try something new, you are in a different place and you never know what you might like. This wasn't my original location but I am glad everything fell into place and I went to Gwangju.

I was alone for abit because my roommate had not showed up yet so it was alittle nerve wrecking the first few days. If there is a way to make sure that people whos roommate are not yet arriving arent alone in room and they are comfortable. that would be resurring for those who come on the trip alone.
Read my full story