Study Abroad in Granada, Spain: Semester or Academic Year

In Front of the Alhambra
AIFS Study Abroad in Granada, Spain
AIFS Study Abroad in Granada, Spain
A Flamenco Performance at the University
Parque el Retiro, Madrid, España: The leaves in the park during our trip to the capital in the fall were simply beautiful and made me fall more in love with Spain.
Los Cahorros, Monachil, España: One of many bridges on a beautiful winding trail at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains. I spent many hours hiking and rock climbing here, enjoying the peace and quiet of the Spanish outdoors.
Fuente de las Batallas, Granada, España: My favorite thing about this picture is that it was taken one afternoon while going out for gelato and realizing that the city always has something beautiful to offer.

Spend a semester or academic year in Granada, Spain with AIFS! You’ll earn up to 15 credits per semester through a variety of courses at the University of Granada. Courses are taught in English or in Spanish, depending on the program.

Volunteer opportunities are available to all students in a variety of areas. At the end of the semester, you will receive a certificate for participating.

Live in a Spanish homestay, in an apartment or, for an additional fee, in a student residence. Homestay students receive 3 meals per day, and residence students receive 3 meals per day Monday through Saturday. Apartment students will receive a meal allowance.

Enjoy activities such as:
• Visits to the Albaicín and the Cathedral of Granada
• Hiking in the Sierra Nevada mountains
• 3-day trip to Gibraltar, Seville and Córdoba
• Day trips to Nerja, Ronda (spring only) and La Alpujarra (fall only).
Optional excursions include a 3-day trip to Madrid and Toledo and a 3-day trip to Morocco

• 3-day excursion to Gibraltar, Seville and Córdoba
  • Day trip to Nerja, Ronda (Spring only) and La Alpujarra (Fall only)
  • Earn up to 15 credits and transcript issued by the University of Granada
  • No previous Spanish language study required for the Spanish Language and Culture Program
  • Internship and volunteer opportunities

AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants & Financial Support

We believe a study abroad experience is an essential component of well-rounded university education and we are committed to providing financial assistance to as many students as possible in support of their goal to study abroad.

$500 - $5,000

Latisha

Life changing experience

Going abroad to Spain has been my dream since I first started studying Spanish in middle school. To be able to live out this dream literally, boosted my confidence in the fact that I know I can make my dreams a reality. While I was there, I realized my passion for the language grew so much stronger and that my dream of actually permanently moving abroad could be made true. This experience opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities and I did stuff I never thought I would do. My confidence was so much higher there than ever before. Coming back, I think about it every single day and as I get closer to having to job-search, I know I'm not going to limit myself to any particular location. I am a completely different person with a much more open mind than before going abroad and I think if anyone has even considered going abroad, then they should do everything in their power to make it happen. You absolutely cannot regret going to a foreign country while you're in college. The program far exceeded my expectations. They were there when I needed them, but we weren't required to do anything or stuck to any sort of schedule except for school. We were just given an abundance of options. Having everything included such as accommodation and food, really helped with budgeting.

This program was perfection. I honestly cannot think of how it can be improved. I am still involved with the program as an ambassador, because this is how great they were. I want to be as connected as I can, for as long as I can. The program goes beyond just studying abroad. They have options for blogging and vlogging your experience and even if you're not a writer, the ability to really pay attention to an analyze what's happening while it's happening is extremely valuable. It forces you to think deeply and appreciate the time in the present moment.
Tessa

Spring Semester 2018 in Granada

Granada was the best place to study abroad! I lived with a host family, took all my courses in spanish, and immersed myself in the culture. The on-site resident directors with AIFS were AMAZING!!! They went with me to the doctor when I got sick, helped us with our schedules, and guided us on where we should shop and places we needed to eat at. The excursions they plan were very well planned and very fun! I knew nothing about Granada before heading over there and had never left the country before so I was very nervous to leave but I am so glad I chose AIFS in Granada. I felt completely supported and enjoyed every part of my experience! My host family was great and loving, my classes were not as hard as I was expecting, and the culture and life in Granada is rich! I would recommend Granada to everyone but especially to those who want to go to a spanish speaking country and come back speaking the language. Granada is an amazing place to learn the Spanish language.

The only thing I would suggest is a more in depth roommate form so that a better match could have been made for myself.
Read my full story
DaCota

Fall 2017- Granada, Spain

Studying in Granada, Spain with AIFS was the best decision I could have made! From start to finish, I felt comfortable with the entire process. The application was straight forward and whenever I had questions, my admissions counselor was quick to respond and alleviate my confusion. While in Spain, the on staff was extremely friendly and they were available for any questions about the city or the adjustment process. When choosing my program for my semester abroad, the value of the AIFS program gave me the best option. This program was the least expensive, which was something I was looking for. Despite that, I was still given many opportunities in my study abroad. The program included excursions to Sevilla, Córdoba, Gibraltar, walking tours around Granada, and even Alpujarras. Going on these added so much more to my experience because I was able to see outside of the city and experience other pieces of Spain and its culture. AIFS even provided opportunities to blog or be a photographer for AIFS and even to volunteer while abroad. One of my favorite parts were the “intercambios” organized by our program directors where we were able to meet with native Spanish speakers to practice the language and make new friends. Upon return, AIFS allowed students to apply to be an Alumni Ambassador to promote study abroad on campus. AIFS does not leave students high and dry at the end of the program, but they create a family for the returning student, so they can know they are not alone. I could have gone to Granada with any program, but I will never regret going with AIFS.

Rachel

Semester in Granada with AIFS

I studied in Granada, Spain in the Fall of 2015. I know saying "it was amazing" is very vague but honestly, it was the most amazing time of my life. I made some of the best friends, I lived in the middle of the city and my host mom helped to make my experience great. What can I say? I don't have many complaints! Everything went smoothly with AIFS. They are very organized and are always ready to help, but they still give you the space to be independent.
By day, I got a latte and a tostada in the local cafe, I went to school, and enjoyed siestas. By night, I went out and enjoyed tapas or went to the discoteca with my friends! Granada is awesome in regards to nightlife because when you go out to get tapas, you pay for your drink and the tapas come free. Granada is also the home to thousands of young college students during the school year because the University of Granada is there. So, Granada is young, lively and cost effective. You can't beat it. One of my favorite things about Granada was it's Moorish neighborhoods and background. Granada has a rich history and I encourage you to explore the Alhambra, the white washed Carmen neighborhood and go get tea in the Albayzin.
Before studying abroad, I was a Hospitality major. After my experience, I became an International Studies major. Studying abroad literally changed my life. I'm so glad I picked the AIFS Granada program.

The only thing I did not like about the program was that you are placed in a school with all Americans or English speakers. This makes immersion into the Spanish culture a little more challenging. However, AIFS does set up intercambios so that you can meet with Spanish students and practice your Spanish speaking skills with them. I just wish I would have been in school with some of the locals.
Isabel

Ay Granada!!

What can I say that someone else hasn't told you. Granada holds a special place in my heart. It didn't take long for this place to make me fall in love with it. The views, the people, the food. Everything made the experience one thousand times better. The AIFS staff in Granada also made the experience one of a kind. The work hard to have us fit in and they would answer any question we had for them. They were also very patient with us and they guided us when we needed it. Granada is amazing 24/7. Being here was a great opportunity to meet other people from different parts of the US and all over the world as well. Being able to travel during the weekends was also a great experience. We were able to have fun but at the same time we knew that we were there to learn. Going to school was also a different experience that opened my eyes because I learned so much.
Over all coming to Granada was one of the best decisions ever!

Katrina

Study Abroad with AIFS in Granada, Spain

One of the activities the resident directors planned was a team photo scavenger hunt. They gave us clues leading us to different parts of Granada, and we had to take a picture of us at the different locations. I, and two of my friends, got some native college girls to help us out, and we ended up winning 75 euros. We saw many unique and out-of-the-way areas of Granada. This was just one way our wonderful resident directors helped involve us in the culture.

Malissa

2000 Sheep in the Center of Madrid

While in Madrid for the weekend with the program, our tour guide told us of a tradition where local farmers push a herd of 2,000 sheep through the center of Madrid to their winter pastures. Our program director had us vote, and we left the hotel a bit earlier the next morning to catch the start of the procession before our bike tour. It was just an example of the random cultural experiences you're bound to find while studying abroad and I loved every second of it!

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and the program overall, but a bit more information on what to expect when first landing in London (for our flight package: an optional tour of London) and when first landing in Spain would have helped put us more at ease. We were all so nervous and unsure of what to do, so a knowing a little bit more of what to expect would have been better.
Nora

A Life Changing Experience

My primary goal studying abroad was to get as much practice with Spanish as possible, since I am a Spanish major. I also wanted to get to know the city and country and take other opportunities to travel. AIFS was great because the placed me in an incredible home stay that was the highlight of my experience abroad. The family was incredibly welcoming and I felt at home with them very quickly. They included me in their family events and outings and made sure I was happy and comfortable. The program directors in Granada, Edu and Noelia, were also amazing. They were supportive and helpful and did everything they could to improve our experience abroad and adjust to our new lives there. I also loved the excursions with AIFS. I got to see so many cities in Spain and I am not sure I would have seen so many if I didn't have the excursions to make traveling so easy. The trips had a good balance of education and sightseeing and downtime to do what we wanted. I left my semester abroad with a greater confidence in my speaking ability. While abroad, I also discovered the career path I am pursuing now as I prepare for graduation in 6 months. Studying abroad gave me direction that I did not have before.

I wish that there was an opportunity to take classes with Spanish students, instead of entirely with Americans and other international students. I also wish AIFS had provided us with more than one intercambio. I think I would've had more practice if I had an obligation every week or every few weeks.
chey603

Granada is amazing

This program was amazing. I am so happy I did it. School was challenging but it was a good challenge. Paula & Edu were phenomenal and I felt they supported me with everything I did and genuinely cared.

More group trips
maggieolson

Granada, yes.

Loved this program. Perfect in every way. I would recommend Granada to anyone going to study abroad. Get out there, go see the world and go see Granada first and stay as long as you can. Siesta y Fiesta.

I would want to stay longer.
Tracy

Granada Spain

Paula and Edu were extremely helpful and personable. The academics were completely different from the States. I wouldnt say it was challenging but it was very informative and relevant. My absolute favorite class was culture and civilization of Spain. Personally I think it should be a mandatory class because I learned more in that class than any other. It really helped me understand differences between the Spaniards and Americans. It also helped me get a grasp on some things that were a culture shock to me.

Carla

Life Changing with AIFS

After all the paper work was done and my semester at my home school was over, I was terrified. I really started to second guess whether or not I could live away from my family and friends for 5 whole months! January 4th came way too soon, and the moment I got on the plane, I was regretting my decision. Landing in Spain and getting accustomed to my apartment ( I chose the apartments instead of the homestay) was very difficult, I’d had never been so homesick in my life. I remember the landlord of the apartment caught my roommate and I crying and said, “ This time is going to fly, and they day you leave Granada, you’ll be crying a lot harder.” It took about 3 weeks for me to really get used to the idea that Granada would be my home for the next 5 months. Slowly but surely, I began to fall in love. The city, the sights, the traveling, the food, the people, all of it; you not only get to discover a new gorgeous city, but you feel as though the world is at your feet, and that’s because for those couple of months, it really is. You learn to seize every moment, and seek out all new opportunities, and for 5 months you get enjoy life to absolute fullest.
AIFS does an amazing job at accommodating your every need. The resident director of Granada, Paula Messina, is an absolute sweetheart. She along with AIFS provide you with the best possible experience imaginable, and tend to your every need. I got sick while I was in Granada, and I e-mailed her around 4am and she got back to me later that morning and pulled me out of class for my appointment with the doctor. I never once felt like I was alone in the city there was always someone there to talk to about anything.
As far as academics the CLM, ( Centro de Lenguas Modernas) provides you with a very unique experience. The university and the curriculum are designed in a way that is challenging, but still incorporates your experience abroad. The professors at the CLM were probably some of the best I have ever had. Their style of teaching is very different to what we are accustomed to, but that’s what makes the experience so memorable.
May 24th came way too soon. The best memories of my life were made in Granada. Everything from the lively city to AIFS, makes you fall in love over and over again. The day I left my apartment, I said bye to the staff members, and told the landlord how right she had been, and then she hugged me and told me to come back soon. Going abroad was the scariest thing I have ever done, but looking back now, the thought of not having gone abroad, is absolutely terrifying.
If I can leave you with any words of advice, seize the moment. Don't take your time out there for granted! Travel a lot, study a lot, eat a lot, discover a lot, dance a lot, just do it all, and then do more.

I wish we didn't have to leave the same week we had finals. It was really hard to try to cram in all the studying and packing! Realistically those last days you're there you want to enjoy them with your friends and the city. If it's possible I would suggest allowing students to stay an extra week or AT LEAST that weekend. I had friends who had exams up until the very last day and I thought that was kind of difficult. Other than that the program was perfect, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. :)
Liscet

Best Experience of My Life!

I loved studying in Granada so much! The only regret that I have is that I could not stay longer!
I lived in a homestay and felt as though I was truly a part of my host family. I lived with an older couple who had five children and seven grandchildren that lived within five minutes of them and were constantly visiting. It was a great experience.
The AIFS staff were very helpful and always open to suggestions. Our group really enjoyed the sports activities, so two or three extra days were added during our trip that were not previously planned.
I went to Granada knowing no one and left knowing that I had met several life-long friends.
I would recommend it to anyone that is interested, no questions asked.

granada2011

The Best 4 Months of My Life.

Choosing to study in Granada, Spain with AIFS was definitely one of the best life decisions I've ever made. I spent the Fall of 2011 in Granada and loved every minute of it. Not only was Granada the perfect place for me but I could not have asked for a better experience than the one I had with AIFS.

Granada is hidden gem of Europe. In comparison to many other large cities its a perfectly sized small city with LOTS to do! Everything you need to do is in walking distance and I can guarantee you can always find a fun night life event every day of the week. With your choice of restaurants, tapas bars, and discotecas, Granada is one of my favorite places in the world.

My wonderful time would not have been possible if it were not for the amazing work of the AIFS staff. I felt like I had my own little family away from home through everyone who was part of AIFS. The staff there were extremely helpful always made me feel comfortable and safe being so far away from home.

One of the things that made going through AIFS so great was the fact that I was able to meet friends from all over the US. I made some amazing friendships with new people that I know I will continue to be friends with for many more years.

Beyond my AIFS friends I was able to meet so many people both local Spaniards and other American students. In comparison to other programs, AIFS definitely seemed to provide the greatest deal. Unlike some of the other programs to Granada AIFS set us up with several over night trips to other Spanish cities, local adventures through the neighborhoods of Granada, the best housing and so much more.

I would HIGHLY recommend studying abroad in Granada, Spain and most importantly with AIFS.

kfink0219

BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE

My time in Granada was the best time of my life. From the moment I arrived, the AIFS staff was more than helpful. Paula and Inma are wonderful people! I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about Granada or my time there. I had a great host family whom took great care of me and fed me very well! Granada is the perfect city for students. It's cheaper than most of the major cities, close to a major airport (Malaga), close to amazing beaches, and it's full of students- both Spanish and international. Every excursion with AIFS was a blast and perfectly planned. Granada is a city full of culture and beauty. I lived there for 5 months and there are still tons of things I didn't get to do. I would absolutely recommend AIFS Granada. I made friends in other programs, but none of their programs were even close to helpful or student centered as AIFS. My study abroad experience was life changing.

Alumni Interviews

About AIFS Study Abroad

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer....