Study Abroad in Granada, Spain: Semester or Academic Year

With Our Host Mom
In Front of the Alhambra
A Flamenco Performance at the University
Parque el Retiro, Madrid, España: The leaves in the park during our trip to the capital in the fall were simply beautiful and made me fall more in love with Spain.
Los Cahorros, Monachil, España: One of many bridges on a beautiful winding trail at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains. I spent many hours hiking and rock climbing here, enjoying the peace and quiet of the Spanish outdoors.
Fuente de las Batallas, Granada, España: My favorite thing about this picture is that it was taken one afternoon while going out for gelato and realizing that the city always has something beautiful to offer.

Spend a semester or academic year in Granada, Spain with AIFS! You’ll earn up to 15 credits per semester through a variety of courses at the University of Granada. Courses are taught in English or in Spanish, depending on the program.

Volunteer opportunities are available to all students in a variety of areas. At the end of the semester, you will receive a certificate for participating.

Live in a Spanish homestay, in an apartment or, for an additional fee, in a student residence. Homestay students receive 3 meals per day, and residence students receive 3 meals per day Monday through Saturday. Apartment students will receive a meal allowance.

Enjoy activities such as:
• Visits to the Albaicín and the Cathedral of Granada
• Hiking in the Sierra Nevada mountains
• 3-day trip to Gibraltar, Seville and Córdoba
• Day trips to Nerja, Ronda (spring only) and La Alpujarra (fall only).
Optional excursions include a 3-day trip to Madrid and Toledo and a 3-day trip to Morocco

• 3-day excursion to Gibraltar, Seville and Córdoba
  • Day trip to Nerja, Ronda (Spring only) and La Alpujarra (Fall only)
  • Earn up to 15 credits and transcript issued by the University of Granada
  • No previous Spanish language study required for the Spanish Language and Culture Program
  • Internship and volunteer opportunities

AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants & Financial Support

We believe a study abroad experience is an essential component of well-rounded university education and we are committed to providing financial assistance to as many students as possible in support of their goal to study abroad.

$500 - $5,000

Alina

A Second Home

When I decided to study abroad in Granada, Spain, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was nervous and anxious but also really excited to discover my new home for the semester. When I first got off the plane in Spain, I immediately felt at ease. The AIFS staff were incredibly kind and helpful as I adjusted to my host country. My host family in Granada was amazing. They were very accommodating and kind and made me feel like a member of their family almost immediately. Some of my fondest memories of my time abroad are of me sitting on the couch with my host parents and host siblings watching Spanish game shows on TV. The University of Granada was also an amazing place to go to school with interesting classes and good professors that encouraged us to learn as much from being in the city of Granada as we did in the classroom. The AIFS Program introduced me to new places on weekend excursions and helped me make the most of my time in Granada by introducing me to workshop and volunteer opportunities. By the end of my trip, Granada had become my second home. I knew all of the best places to get tapas, could navigate the Albaicin (a maze-like part of the city) like a professional and had made some amazing friends. Overall, my study abroad experience has changed my life for the better and Granada will always be a place that I go back to.

My advice is to make the most of your time abroad. The semester goes by really fast so try new things, meet new people, eat the food, walk around the city just because and take advantage of everything you possibly can.
Pippa

Best place to study abroad!

Granada, Spain is the best location to study abroad and going with AIFS is the best way to do it. The help that you have in the city is unbeatable. From being able to go to the staff members for cultural questions, restaurant recommendations, or help with the language, they are always there for you. They were always so willing to help and they made my experience what it was. Also, the optional excursions are amazing. Being able to go to Morocco with a guide and my friends was something that I wouldn't have been able to do without this program. Also, my host family made everything feel comfortable and they treated me like I was their own. They helped me feel like a local and I'm so glad I chose to stay with a family. They also cook the best local food! Overall, this program was amazing and AIFS does a great job.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Octopus! It is a very common food in this part of Spain
Latisha

Life changing experience

Going abroad to Spain has been my dream since I first started studying Spanish in middle school. To be able to live out this dream literally, boosted my confidence in the fact that I know I can make my dreams a reality. While I was there, I realized my passion for the language grew so much stronger and that my dream of actually permanently moving abroad could be made true. This experience opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities and I did stuff I never thought I would do. My confidence was so much higher there than ever before. Coming back, I think about it every single day and as I get closer to having to job-search, I know I'm not going to limit myself to any particular location. I am a completely different person with a much more open mind than before going abroad and I think if anyone has even considered going abroad, then they should do everything in their power to make it happen. You absolutely cannot regret going to a foreign country while you're in college. The program far exceeded my expectations. They were there when I needed them, but we weren't required to do anything or stuck to any sort of schedule except for school. We were just given an abundance of options. Having everything included such as accommodation and food, really helped with budgeting.

This program was perfection. I honestly cannot think of how it can be improved. I am still involved with the program as an ambassador, because this is how great they were. I want to be as connected as I can, for as long as I can. The program goes beyond just studying abroad. They have options for blogging and vlogging your experience and even if you're not a writer, the ability to really pay attention to an analyze what's happening while it's happening is extremely valuable. It forces you to think deeply and appreciate the time in the present moment.
Tessa

Spring Semester 2018 in Granada

Granada was the best place to study abroad! I lived with a host family, took all my courses in spanish, and immersed myself in the culture. The on-site resident directors with AIFS were AMAZING!!! They went with me to the doctor when I got sick, helped us with our schedules, and guided us on where we should shop and places we needed to eat at. The excursions they plan were very well planned and very fun! I knew nothing about Granada before heading over there and had never left the country before so I was very nervous to leave but I am so glad I chose AIFS in Granada. I felt completely supported and enjoyed every part of my experience! My host family was great and loving, my classes were not as hard as I was expecting, and the culture and life in Granada is rich! I would recommend Granada to everyone but especially to those who want to go to a spanish speaking country and come back speaking the language. Granada is an amazing place to learn the Spanish language.

The only thing I would suggest is a more in depth roommate form so that a better match could have been made for myself.
Read my full story
DaCota

Fall 2017- Granada, Spain

Studying in Granada, Spain with AIFS was the best decision I could have made! From start to finish, I felt comfortable with the entire process. The application was straight forward and whenever I had questions, my admissions counselor was quick to respond and alleviate my confusion. While in Spain, the on staff was extremely friendly and they were available for any questions about the city or the adjustment process. When choosing my program for my semester abroad, the value of the AIFS program gave me the best option. This program was the least expensive, which was something I was looking for. Despite that, I was still given many opportunities in my study abroad. The program included excursions to Sevilla, Córdoba, Gibraltar, walking tours around Granada, and even Alpujarras. Going on these added so much more to my experience because I was able to see outside of the city and experience other pieces of Spain and its culture. AIFS even provided opportunities to blog or be a photographer for AIFS and even to volunteer while abroad. One of my favorite parts were the “intercambios” organized by our program directors where we were able to meet with native Spanish speakers to practice the language and make new friends. Upon return, AIFS allowed students to apply to be an Alumni Ambassador to promote study abroad on campus. AIFS does not leave students high and dry at the end of the program, but they create a family for the returning student, so they can know they are not alone. I could have gone to Granada with any program, but I will never regret going with AIFS.

Rachel

Semester in Granada with AIFS

I studied in Granada, Spain in the Fall of 2015. I know saying "it was amazing" is very vague but honestly, it was the most amazing time of my life. I made some of the best friends, I lived in the middle of the city and my host mom helped to make my experience great. What can I say? I don't have many complaints! Everything went smoothly with AIFS. They are very organized and are always ready to help, but they still give you the space to be independent.
By day, I got a latte and a tostada in the local cafe, I went to school, and enjoyed siestas. By night, I went out and enjoyed tapas or went to the discoteca with my friends! Granada is awesome in regards to nightlife because when you go out to get tapas, you pay for your drink and the tapas come free. Granada is also the home to thousands of young college students during the school year because the University of Granada is there. So, Granada is young, lively and cost effective. You can't beat it. One of my favorite things about Granada was it's Moorish neighborhoods and background. Granada has a rich history and I encourage you to explore the Alhambra, the white washed Carmen neighborhood and go get tea in the Albayzin.
Before studying abroad, I was a Hospitality major. After my experience, I became an International Studies major. Studying abroad literally changed my life. I'm so glad I picked the AIFS Granada program.

The only thing I did not like about the program was that you are placed in a school with all Americans or English speakers. This makes immersion into the Spanish culture a little more challenging. However, AIFS does set up intercambios so that you can meet with Spanish students and practice your Spanish speaking skills with them. I just wish I would have been in school with some of the locals.
Isabel

Ay Granada!!

What can I say that someone else hasn't told you. Granada holds a special place in my heart. It didn't take long for this place to make me fall in love with it. The views, the people, the food. Everything made the experience one thousand times better. The AIFS staff in Granada also made the experience one of a kind. The work hard to have us fit in and they would answer any question we had for them. They were also very patient with us and they guided us when we needed it. Granada is amazing 24/7. Being here was a great opportunity to meet other people from different parts of the US and all over the world as well. Being able to travel during the weekends was also a great experience. We were able to have fun but at the same time we knew that we were there to learn. Going to school was also a different experience that opened my eyes because I learned so much.
Over all coming to Granada was one of the best decisions ever!

Katrina

Study Abroad with AIFS in Granada, Spain

One of the activities the resident directors planned was a team photo scavenger hunt. They gave us clues leading us to different parts of Granada, and we had to take a picture of us at the different locations. I, and two of my friends, got some native college girls to help us out, and we ended up winning 75 euros. We saw many unique and out-of-the-way areas of Granada. This was just one way our wonderful resident directors helped involve us in the culture.