By AIFS Study Abroad   Reviews (25)   96% Rating

AIFS Study Abroad in Granada: Semester or Academic Year

By AIFS Study Abroad   Reviews (25)   96% Rating

Spend a semester or academic year in the charming and captivating city of Granada, Spain. Courses are taught in English or Spanish, and no previous Spanish language study is required. Earn up to 15 credits with options:
-Spanish Language and Culture (taught in English)
-Spanish Language and Culture (taught in Spanish)
-Advanced Hispanic Studies
-Internship

Live in a student apartment, homestay or student residence, all with laundry facilities, internet and meal plan. Enjoy cultural and social activities such as visits to museums and cultural sites, tapas evening with Spanish students, hiking in the nearby Sierra Nevadas, Spanish cooking classes and more. AIFS includes trips to Gibraltar, Seville and Cordoba, and day trips to Ronda and the beach town of Nerja. Optional excursions include Morocco, and Madrid and Toledo.

Granada gives students the chance to be immersed in the Spanish language, culture, cuisine and tradition in a city renowned for its cultural heritage and fusion

Europe › Spain › Granada
Social Sciences
Sociology
High School Diploma
Cost
AIFS is a premier provider of study abroad programs. Comprehensive fees cover tuition and housing with $800,000 in scholarship and grant funding available each year. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages are available.
Granada
0.00

Rating Values

Isabel
Los Angeles

Ay Granada!!

Overall 10

What can I say that someone else hasn't told you. Granada holds a special place in my heart. It didn't take long for this place to make me fall in love with it. The views, the people, the food. Everything made the experience one thousand times better. The AIFS staff in Granada also made the experience one of a kind. The work hard to have us fit in and they would answer any question we had for them. They were also very patient with us and they guided us when we needed it. Granada is amazing 24/7. Being here was a great opportunity to meet other people from different parts of the US and all over the world as well. Being able to travel during the weekends was also a great experience. We were able to have fun but at the same time we knew that we were there to learn. Going to school was also a different experience that opened my eyes because I learned so much.
Over all coming to Granada was one of the best decisions ever!

Katrina

Study Abroad with AIFS in Granada, Spain

Overall 10

One of the activities the resident directors planned was a team photo scavenger hunt. They gave us clues leading us to different parts of Granada, and we had to take a picture of us at the different locations. I, and two of my friends, got some native college girls to help us out, and we ended up winning 75 euros. We saw many unique and out-of-the-way areas of Granada. This was just one way our wonderful resident directors helped involve us in the culture.

Study Abroad with AIFS in Granada, Spain
Malissa
Colorado Springs, Colorado

2000 Sheep in the Center of Madrid

Overall 10

While in Madrid for the weekend with the program, our tour guide told us of a tradition where local farmers push a herd of 2,000 sheep through the center of Madrid to their winter pastures. Our program director had us vote, and we left the hotel a bit earlier the next morning to catch the start of the procession before our bike tour. It was just an example of the random cultural experiences you're bound to find while studying abroad and I loved every second of it!

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and the program overall, but a bit more information on what to expect when first landing in London (for our flight package: an optional tour of London) and when first landing in Spain would have helped put us more at ease. We were all so nervous and unsure of what to do, so a knowing a little bit more of what to expect would have been better.
Nora
Charleston, SC
College of Charleston

A Life Changing Experience

Overall 9

My primary goal studying abroad was to get as much practice with Spanish as possible, since I am a Spanish major. I also wanted to get to know the city and country and take other opportunities to travel. AIFS was great because the placed me in an incredible home stay that was the highlight of my experience abroad. The family was incredibly welcoming and I felt at home with them very quickly. They included me in their family events and outings and made sure I was happy and comfortable. The program directors in Granada, Edu and Noelia, were also amazing. They were supportive and helpful and did everything they could to improve our experience abroad and adjust to our new lives there. I also loved the excursions with AIFS. I got to see so many cities in Spain and I am not sure I would have seen so many if I didn't have the excursions to make traveling so easy. The trips had a good balance of education and sightseeing and downtime to do what we wanted. I left my semester abroad with a greater confidence in my speaking ability. While abroad, I also discovered the career path I am pursuing now as I prepare for graduation in 6 months. Studying abroad gave me direction that I did not have before.

I wish that there was an opportunity to take classes with Spanish students, instead of entirely with Americans and other international students. I also wish AIFS had provided us with more than one intercambio. I think I would've had more practice if I had an obligation every week or every few weeks.
chey603
Roosevelt University

Granada is amazing

Overall 10

This program was amazing. I am so happy I did it. School was challenging but it was a good challenge. Paula & Edu were phenomenal and I felt they supported me with everything I did and genuinely cared.

More group trips
maggieolson
Des Moines, IA
Drake University

Granada, yes.

Overall 10

Loved this program. Perfect in every way. I would recommend Granada to anyone going to study abroad. Get out there, go see the world and go see Granada first and stay as long as you can. Siesta y Fiesta.

I would want to stay longer.
Tracy
pittsburgh pa
Duquesne University

Granada Spain

Overall 7

Paula and Edu were extremely helpful and personable. The academics were completely different from the States. I wouldnt say it was challenging but it was very informative and relevant. My absolute favorite class was culture and civilization of Spain. Personally I think it should be a mandatory class because I learned more in that class than any other. It really helped me understand differences between the Spaniards and Americans. It also helped me get a grasp on some things that were a culture shock to me.

Carla
Los Angeles, California

Life Changing with AIFS

Overall 10

After all the paper work was done and my semester at my home school was over, I was terrified. I really started to second guess whether or not I could live away from my family and friends for 5 whole months! January 4th came way too soon, and the moment I got on the plane, I was regretting my decision. Landing in Spain and getting accustomed to my apartment ( I chose the apartments instead of the homestay) was very difficult, I’d had never been so homesick in my life. I remember the landlord of the apartment caught my roommate and I crying and said, “ This time is going to fly, and they day you leave Granada, you’ll be crying a lot harder.” It took about 3 weeks for me to really get used to the idea that Granada would be my home for the next 5 months. Slowly but surely, I began to fall in love. The city, the sights, the traveling, the food, the people, all of it; you not only get to discover a new gorgeous city, but you feel as though the world is at your feet, and that’s because for those couple of months, it really is. You learn to seize every moment, and seek out all new opportunities, and for 5 months you get enjoy life to absolute fullest.
AIFS does an amazing job at accommodating your every need. The resident director of Granada, Paula Messina, is an absolute sweetheart. She along with AIFS provide you with the best possible experience imaginable, and tend to your every need. I got sick while I was in Granada, and I e-mailed her around 4am and she got back to me later that morning and pulled me out of class for my appointment with the doctor. I never once felt like I was alone in the city there was always someone there to talk to about anything.
As far as academics the CLM, ( Centro de Lenguas Modernas) provides you with a very unique experience. The university and the curriculum are designed in a way that is challenging, but still incorporates your experience abroad. The professors at the CLM were probably some of the best I have ever had. Their style of teaching is very different to what we are accustomed to, but that’s what makes the experience so memorable.
May 24th came way too soon. The best memories of my life were made in Granada. Everything from the lively city to AIFS, makes you fall in love over and over again. The day I left my apartment, I said bye to the staff members, and told the landlord how right she had been, and then she hugged me and told me to come back soon. Going abroad was the scariest thing I have ever done, but looking back now, the thought of not having gone abroad, is absolutely terrifying.
If I can leave you with any words of advice, seize the moment. Don't take your time out there for granted! Travel a lot, study a lot, eat a lot, discover a lot, dance a lot, just do it all, and then do more.

I wish we didn't have to leave the same week we had finals. It was really hard to try to cram in all the studying and packing! Realistically those last days you're there you want to enjoy them with your friends and the city. If it's possible I would suggest allowing students to stay an extra week or AT LEAST that weekend. I had friends who had exams up until the very last day and I thought that was kind of difficult. Other than that the program was perfect, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. :)
Liscet
Union, NJ
Kean University

Best Experience of My Life!

Overall 10

I loved studying in Granada so much! The only regret that I have is that I could not stay longer!
I lived in a homestay and felt as though I was truly a part of my host family. I lived with an older couple who had five children and seven grandchildren that lived within five minutes of them and were constantly visiting. It was a great experience.
The AIFS staff were very helpful and always open to suggestions. Our group really enjoyed the sports activities, so two or three extra days were added during our trip that were not previously planned.
I went to Granada knowing no one and left knowing that I had met several life-long friends.
I would recommend it to anyone that is interested, no questions asked.

granada2011
Chicago, IL

The Best 4 Months of My Life.

Overall 10

Choosing to study in Granada, Spain with AIFS was definitely one of the best life decisions I've ever made. I spent the Fall of 2011 in Granada and loved every minute of it. Not only was Granada the perfect place for me but I could not have asked for a better experience than the one I had with AIFS.

Granada is hidden gem of Europe. In comparison to many other large cities its a perfectly sized small city with LOTS to do! Everything you need to do is in walking distance and I can guarantee you can always find a fun night life event every day of the week. With your choice of restaurants, tapas bars, and discotecas, Granada is one of my favorite places in the world.

My wonderful time would not have been possible if it were not for the amazing work of the AIFS staff. I felt like I had my own little family away from home through everyone who was part of AIFS. The staff there were extremely helpful always made me feel comfortable and safe being so far away from home.

One of the things that made going through AIFS so great was the fact that I was able to meet friends from all over the US. I made some amazing friendships with new people that I know I will continue to be friends with for many more years.

Beyond my AIFS friends I was able to meet so many people both local Spaniards and other American students. In comparison to other programs, AIFS definitely seemed to provide the greatest deal. Unlike some of the other programs to Granada AIFS set us up with several over night trips to other Spanish cities, local adventures through the neighborhoods of Granada, the best housing and so much more.

I would HIGHLY recommend studying abroad in Granada, Spain and most importantly with AIFS.

kfink0219
Fayetteville, Ar
University of Arkansas- Fayetteville

BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE

Overall 10

My time in Granada was the best time of my life. From the moment I arrived, the AIFS staff was more than helpful. Paula and Inma are wonderful people! I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about Granada or my time there. I had a great host family whom took great care of me and fed me very well! Granada is the perfect city for students. It's cheaper than most of the major cities, close to a major airport (Malaga), close to amazing beaches, and it's full of students- both Spanish and international. Every excursion with AIFS was a blast and perfectly planned. Granada is a city full of culture and beauty. I lived there for 5 months and there are still tons of things I didn't get to do. I would absolutely recommend AIFS Granada. I made friends in other programs, but none of their programs were even close to helpful or student centered as AIFS. My study abroad experience was life changing.

kas
Washington, D.C.
University of Maryland

One of the best decisions I've made was to study in Granada

Overall 10

As hesitant as I was to study in a city the size of Granada, I could not have been happier with how the experience turned out. Sure, I had to tell people where Granada was on a map, but not once was I envious of my friends in Barcelona or Madrid. Not only did I get a real taste of the Spanish lifestyle by living with an amazing host family but I met new friends, learned a new language and had some of the best times of my college experience. Granada is an amazing city; its small enough that you get to really know where you are going but diverse enough that never are you bored or tired of exploring. From the discotecas, to the streets of bars filled with college students, to the amazing tapas, there is something for everyone. A Friday night can just as easily be filled by relaxing at a teteria with a fresh crepe and a view of the Alhambra as it can be a crazy night out dancing in a discoteca until the sun comes up. The school and classes are filled with American students with similar interests who all came to Granada for the same reason--to experience Spain at its best. To be in Granada is to know the Spanish life and culture like a Spainard.

elruso
Now in Frederick, MD.

Great experience, make sure to leave your group sometimes

Overall 9

I had a great experience with AIFS and this comment is true not just to this program, but any study abroad program.

When brought to Spain, you are put together with Americans of many different levels off Spanish -- beginner to advanced -- and you get to know your peers very well. You go on trips together, live together, and go to each other when things get difficult. This is great, but my advice is this: do not get too attached to your group.

Go out and explore the city you are in, meet the locals, stray away from comfort, and immerse yourself in the language and culture. Don't try to pack in a bunch of trips with your new American friends. Yes, you are in Europe and you should explore, but don't forget that this is your chance to really get to know a foreign city. Granada is beautiful and can endlessly be explored. I am so glad that midway through my experience, I decided to really get to know her. I walked away with new friends and a connection to a city that will last my lifetime. I hope you find time to do the same.

katiec23
St. Paul
University of Saint Thomas

Best 4 Months of My Life

Overall 10

I would recommend this program to anyone; the staff was more than I could have ever asked for, they were extremely accommodating and provided much more than they needed to the students. I was challenged every day to speak Spanish, but I also learned more than I ever could have imagined. If I had the chance, I would be on an airplane heading back to Granada right now. The lifestyle there is so easy going and laid back that it's hard not to enjoy everything about it. Because of all of the ways I was challenged with my Spanish, coming back to the states and taking Spanish classes here has been a breeze so far; I'm so much more confident with my speaking skills thanks to my semester abroad. Even though the beginning was scary, I will always look back on it as the best and most rewarding 4 months of my life.

Otypoty
Laramie, Wyoming
University of Wyoming

The best experience of my life

Overall 9

My time in Granada was easily the most amazing experience of my life. I loved all of the class trips to such places as La Alhambra and Generalife, el Albaicín, Sevilla, and Córdoba. Everything was entertaining, beautiful, and educational. In additions to these excursions, the everyday events were great, too. I loved being in a homestay because our señora cared about us so much and fed us an incredible amount of delicious food. In the city itself, everything was in walking distance and there was plenty to do and find just in exploring side streets. It was somewhat easy to get lost, but that was often part of the fun. The teachers at the Center of Modern Languages were helpful and there classes were enlightening. I got so much out of this trip, and I know I shall remember it all for years to come.

nbuffmire
Almeria, Spain

Experience of a lifetime

Overall 10

My experience studying abroad in Granada was amazing. My day to day life was eventful and full of surprises around every corner. My average Monday I would walk to class in the morning, sometimes along the way stop at a cafe for breakfast with friends. After class I would return to my residencia (student dorms). I chose to live in the residencia because it allowed me to get to know Spanish students and immerse myself in the University social life in Granada. After lunch I would walk around Granada, visit the surrounding areas of the Alhambra and enjoy the lifestyle the city had to offer. Although I encountered difficulties in relation to language barriers, they made my day more interesting and constantly conquering new challenges. At the end of the day I would return home to eat and spend time with my friends, Spanish and American. It was an experience I will never forget. I enjoyed my time so much I am currently still living in Southern Spain.

COak
Boston, MA
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

The best decision I've made in my life.

Overall 10

I studied in Granada in the spring of '08 and I still think about it all the time. It was more memorable than college. I was luckily enough to be in a group that treated each other like family. I have a number of friends from AIFS who will be friends for life.
Unlike most of the people in the program I stayed in the dorms. The dorms were really great. It was pretty small and there was a mix of American and Spanish students, which was great because you could practice your Spanish with the natives and learn from them. The few women who ran the dorm were the equivalent of a senora. Granada is a smaller city, but I think that is a plus. The city starts to feel like home and you get to know it very well. The city feels very young because of all the students, so the night life is great. Also the Spanish teachers were much better than the ones I have had in the US.

Lizzy
San Diego, CA
Point Loma Nazarene University

Life-Changing Experience

Overall 10

In January 2009, I packed my bags and started my 5 month life-changing adventure. Through AIFS,you first spend a few days in London with the other members of your group and then all travel together to Granada, Spain. For the first few weeks, we took intensive Spanish courses (very helpful since I knew basically zero Spanish), and then started our normal courses. We never had class on Friday which made it easy to travel on the weekends. Also, I chose to live in a homestay which I highly, highly recommend.
Overall, studying abroad in Granada, Spain was probably the best decision of my life. I learned so much about myself, Spanish culture, the Spanish language,and had the opportunity to travel all over Europe. During my time in Granada through AIFS, I made some incredible friends from all over the United States. In fact, in December 2011, we had a reunion in New York, and this May we are reuniting once again in Las Vegas.
AIFS is a fantastic program. I highly recommend you study abroad with them! Now that I have graduated college and am working full-time, I regularly reflect back upon my time in Granada as the best experience of my life.

Tara
Flint, Michigan

A fabulous trip!

Overall 9

My experience in Granada with AIFS was simply perfect. The housing situation living in the student residence was a great mix of other AIFS students as well as Spanish college students. The women who worked at the residencia were pleasant and always helpful.

The AIFS staff in Granada treated all of us as if we were their own children. I could tell that they genuinely cared about our well-being and were always there to answer any questions or address concerns.

The Spanish program at the University of Granada was fun and challenging. I would have enjoyed having classes with other international students, but all of my classes were only with other American students studying abroad. Still, it was a great experience. I enjoyed the professors and the course content.

I must also point out that this program was FAR above the program that I chose the previous summer through CEA. Unlike the staff at CEA, I always knew that I could go to the AIFS staff with anything and they would help me. I also knew that I could talk with any of my roommates or fellow students. The students in Granada were not there just to party, unlike the students I encountered in Barcelona.

Overall, it was an awesome experience that I will always cherish! I would recommend an AIFS experience to anyone interested in studying abroad.

Colbs11
Central Ohio
Rollins College

An Experience You'll Want to Relive Again and Again

Overall 9

Imagine for a moment you're favorite vacation or Spring Break surrounded by friends - relaxing at the beach, taking a road trip, partying it up at Night with locals, or finding new and exciting places to learn about, eat at, or explore. My Semester in Granada through AIFS was that and more.

Sure during the weekdays I attended the University of Granada, taking all of my classes (Politics of Spain, Cultures of Latin America, Business, and Spanish writing and conversation) in Spanish and I Learned a lot about Spain through these classes, but there is so much more to learn outside the classroom on and AIFS trip. I got involved with the University water polo team which turned out to be a great way to get excercise, make local friends, and practice spanish. Our AIFS class also participated in intramural volleyball and soccer.

Weeknights were anxiously anticipated by our class because they brought with them the chance to go out for (free) tapas and a variety of great local atmospheres. We enjoyed the culinary intricacies of each plate, just as we did the micro cultures of the bars we ate them in. And after a few plates and many laughs we would inevitably head out to some of the great night attractions in the city. Be it a relaxing low key night at a tea restaurant or hookah lounge, or a lively night at one of the discoteccas, there is definitely plenty of opportunities to meet other young students and locals.

Of course weekends were also anxiously awaited as AIFS often planned exciting trips and activities for us to attend. We explored the city from every aspect, taking walking tours through the near by mountains and villages like Sacramonte, and through historic places like the breathtaking Alhambra. Of course we didn't just stay in town either. The program offered trip throughout the country (Madrid, Toledo, Seville, and Gibraltar to name a few)lead by professional guides, and always stopping to get a taste of the local foods. I never had to worry about planning out my travel, accommodations, or anything else on these trips, although we were given some free time to explore on our own if we desired.

That being said, I was able to also book a trip with friends I had made through the program to Lisbon and a road trip to other cities in Spain, as well as a meet up with friends from high school who were abroad in Vienna. Once you are in Europe, make the most of it and travel to other cities and countries!

My homestay was another great way to immerse myself in the Spanish culture. I only used Spanish to communicate with my Senora (house mom), which gave me great practice with the language. She also made me three meals a day of traditional spanish foods. I do have to say that the Spanish aren't known for eating breakfast, so I was glad to have a few bakeries and a dunkin doughnuts near by. And while lunches like paella and Spanish chorizo with eggs were to die for, some dinners were a little lacking as we often were just given a sandwich or some type of vegetable based ensalada. If you do plan to do a homestay, know that you are a temporary son or daughter to a Senora (and possibly her family) for a short period of time sou you must be respectful at all times. Also In Spain most people do not have air conditioning in their homes, dryers for laundry (which is washed hand dried and folded for you by your Senora), or guests over. But you can easily adapt to the changes after about two weeks.

From Bull fights to flamenco dancing, from local festivals, to historic tours of amazing places, I am so thankful to have found such a great program. I made some great friends, and unforgettable memories. I had an amazing adventure with AIFS Granada and would do it again in a heartbeat. The key to a great study abroad experience is to go with an open mind and not only be willing to do whatever comes your way, but to seize opportunities and seek them out. Don't let this opportunity with AIFS Granada pass you by.

Here is a short video of the places I went when abroad. Most of these pictures were taken on excursions planned with AIFS to cities in England, Spain, and Morocco. (The AIFS Study abroad counted towards my Rollins College INB Major) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNLjuNtlqiI

Also here is a blog I created while abroad with pictures and descriptions of places I went and things I did:

Lngrabo
Elkridge, MD
University of Maryland

Time of my life

Overall 9

I studied abroad in Granada in the Summer of 2010 and to this day I still remember certain moments of that trip like it were last week. For example, walking to and from class with my roommate who I had not known before hand. The long morning and afternoon walks with my roommate brought us together as more than just roommates, as friends. My señora was a mother through and through she was so adoring, caring and thoughtful. Her paella was out-of-this-world!
I still keep in touch with most of the friends I made on that trip. The experiences we went through together, the places we went and the things we learned brought us all together more than I could ever imagine.
The teachers at the Universidad de Granada were motivating, patient and welcoming. Our program leaders were not just that, they were teachers, tour guides, counselors, nurses, and friends.

I'd do it all again in a heartbeat!

Kbutton

BEST TRIP EVER

Overall 10

Seriously, our trip to Granada by far was the best experience of my life. Going to Granada through AIFS was the best decision I could have made when choosing a program. I met many friends from other programs there who were jealous of our program. AIFS provides housing, meals, tours, trips, and schooling all at a great cost. It's a great way to learn how to travel abroad or anywhere. It may be a little more costly than other programs, but it is because of the greatness and the amount of activities that we do that were already paid for so we didn't have to budget them into our personal monies. Many other programs were jealous of our planned already paid for trips to Madrid and to the beach for example. They even helped you plan your own trips and so much fun. They provided times where you could meet locals and practice your Spanish. It was great! They also were such a great help in the schooling. If you had any issues they helped you to make sure it was taken care of properly and in a timely matter. Overall I couldn't of been more happy with my host mom and family, schooling, roommate, and all our great trips we took around Europe! I even recommended it and 2 friends went the following year, a female who stayed with my host mom and a male who stayed with a different family!

Bridget
Kalamazoo, MI
Western Michigan University

Granada Spain Changed My Life!

Overall 10

This has been hands down, the greatest experience of my life so far. I would do it again in a heartbeat! The entire staff, in the US, London and Granada were so helpful and interested in your life and interests. Every day I would love getting up and seeing what the day would bring. Adjusting to the different meal times took some getting used to as well as the language barrier, though most people in Granada were helpful and patient. The Universidad de Granada was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. The classes were also very interesting. I loved walking to class (about 25 minutes from my residencia) and going to class. The one thing I did not like in Granada, and I got used to it really fast, was the heat! Be sure you're ready to sweat a lot if you go in the summer! As soon as I returned to the United States (and I was not ready to leave at all!) I started recommending this group to all of my friends.

mnowels
Denver, Colorado

Such a great experience!

Overall 9

I think that the program was one of the best experiences that I have had! I loved walking all around Granada on my way to and from school. It was a long walk, but it's beautiful and fun to walk through the streets of such a lively place. I learned so much about culture and my language skills improved greatly! The AIFS staff was amazing and incredibly helpful. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone looking to get an experience in Granada.

EmilyGranadaFall2011
Los Angeles, California

AIFS Made Me Happy Every Step Of Those Marble Streets

Overall 10

I would always recommend AIFS because of the helpfulness of the staff and the planned excursions. AIFS took us there, showed us what we needed to see, kept us in nice hotel rooms, and kept us safe. This lovely group of people are great at what they do - they always have your back, AIFS is the program to choose.

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer.

With over half a century in the industry, AIFS has the resources and experience to provide what students want and need in a study abroad program combined with the institutional strength to safeguard their welfare around the globe. Unlike many other study abroad programs or independent study options, AIFS program fees are guaranteed in U.S. dollars.

AIFS offers a wide range of unique programs in Asia, Australia, Europe, South Africa and the Americas. AIFS campuses typically offer courses in English and/or in foreign languages from beginner to advanced levels, so you don’t even need to know a foreign language to have the opportunity to study abroad.