Study Abroad in Barcelona, Spain (UAB): Semester or Academic Year

Jumping for joy on Montserrat
Jumping for joy on Montserrat
Funny faces in front of the Notre-Dame
Funny faces in front of the Notre-Dame

Spend a semester or academic year in Barcelona, Spain with AIFS. You’ll earn up to 15 credits per semester while studying at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. Courses are taught in English or Spanish with no previous Spanish language study required.

Volunteer opportunities are available through local NGOs to provide services to people in need within the local community.

Live in a Spanish homestay or, for an additional fee, in a student residence or apartment. Homestay students receive daily breakfast and dinner from the family. Apartment and student residence students will receive a meal allowance.

Cultural and social activities include:
• Guided tours
• Cooking classes
• Flamenco performances
• Tapas evenings with Spanish students
• 3-day excursion to the Pyrenees
• Day trips to Girona and Besalú, Figueras and the Salvador Dalí Museum and Montserrat and Sitges.

Optional excursions include a 3-day trip to Seville and Granada and a 3-day trip to Morocco.

• 3-day excursion to the Pyrenees
  • Day trips to Gerona and Besalú, Figueras and the Salvador Dalí Museum and Montserrat and Sitges
  • Earn up to 15 credits and transcript issued by the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
  • No previous Spanish language study required
  • Volunteer opportunities available

AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants & Financial Support

We believe a study abroad experience is an essential component of well-rounded university education and we are committed to providing financial assistance to as many students as possible in support of their goal to study abroad.

$500 - $5,000

Luzmia

Home away from home

At first, I was worried about going out into the world alone, but I soon realized that I was not alone. The support that I received was one of a kind. The team in Barcelona went above and beyond to make students feel welcomed and well surrounded. My experience would’ve been completely different without them.
Also, my host family was amazing. AIFS truly makes it their mission to provide their students with the best accommodation there is. I am eternally grateful for this experience. I highly recommend AIFS. You will feel safe, heard, and cared for.

Luzmia

A home away from home

At first, I was worried about going out into the world alone, but I soon realized that I was not alone. The support that I received upon arrival was one of a kind. The team in Barcelona went above and beyond to make students feel welcomed and well surrounded. My experience would’ve been completely different without them.
Also, my host family was amazing. AIFS really takes the time to choose the best accommodations for their prospective students. I am eternally grateful for the experience that they provided me with. I highly recommend AIFS. You will feel safe, heard, and cared for.

Charlize

Spain for Students: Barcelona on a Bargain

This trip was my first time outside of the country alone. I was terrified that I would get pickpocketed and that I wouldn't know how to get around. Totally false! I never got pickpocketed and learned the metro and bus system like the back of my hand. AIFS made life so easy for me. They assisted in getting my visa. They arranged the flight and a small stop in London (for a small fee). They made sure I got to and from the airport when I needed and they even set up my stay with my host family. Living with a host family was the most incredible experience. I know for a fact that I learned more about the Spanish culture (and had much better food) than those students who didn't live with a host family. My family was humble and kind and they even welcomed me back when I came to visit the following Spring. Spain is full of kind people and is ultra safe. Do not hesitate to study abroad. And please, try a home stay out. It may very well change your life!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have ventured out more from the city! I spent 4 months in Barcelona and became very familiar with it. However, I missed out on opportunities to visit the Costa Brava and other places that were just a short trip from the city. If I go back, I will definitely be visiting the nearby hidden gems.
Laura

Studying Abroad in Barcelona was unforgettable!

Studying in Barcelona with AIFS was unforgettable! Barcelona an amazing city to study abroad in, as it is easily navigable and filled with tons of fun activities. AIFS was amazing with preparing me before and during my time abroad.
Before leaving for my program, AIFS helped me step by step with my visa, and even had a packaged flight deal that booked both my flights, including a 3 day excursion to London before my program started, which allowed me to meet most of the people on my program and was an amazing bonding experience! This was an amazing experience as I got to meet my roommates before arriving in Barcelona.

Upon arrival in Barcelona, AIFS brought us to out apartments, gave us a city tour, and explained hw the metro and buses worked, so that we were prepared to venture the city on our own. Not only that, but they were always available in their office, which was only 3 blocks from my school, whenever we needed help. AIFS also offered several excursions and activities included in the price, which were amazing! My favorite excursion was to Andorra, which is a small country in between Spain and France, and my favorite activity was a cooking class, where we got to learn how to make our favorite Spanish foods!

Overall, I absolutely loved studying abroad in Barcelona and not only that, but AIFS made sure we were always safe, happy, and if we weren't, they were always available to help. I would 10000% recommend going on this program, it was the best decision of my life!!

Do not overpack, and take lots of pictures! Barcelona is an amazing city!
Megan

Best Semester of my College Career!

I loved my study abroad experience! I chose to go abroad with The American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) because they were very up-front about everything and didn't leave me wondering what my final price would be or what was included or not included. Their website is super easy to navigate and compare locations and programs! For every program, there is one director to help with pre-departure information like visas and class schedules, and once you arrive there is an on-site director that helps with the transition and plans all of the events to meet everyone in your program. Both of my directors were amazing and answered every question I had. Barcelona is an amazing city that is changing every day, literally. The Sagrada Familia is still in construction and has been for over a century. Even unfinished, it is my favorite part of the city and it will be so amazing to go back one day when it is finished and know that I was there during a major time of progress. Overall, I chose the best city for my study abroad experience and chose the best provider to go with!

Jennifer

AMAZING EXPERIENCE

I had an amazing experience and loved the location and the staff. My homestay mom was great! She cooked amazing food, was such a sweetheart and treated me like if I was her own daughter with so much love! I loved the excursion to Morocco, it was well organized and I had a great experience. Im happy I was able to see Morocco with AIFS because I don't know how I would've travelled their on my own. AIFS offers so many scholarships and made it possible despite of the roadblocks. I was able to win a scholarship of over $6,500. I was a first generation student so studying abroad was really getting me out of my comfort zone since being a student at a university was already an experience. AIFS is very inclusive and amazing! They have so many opportunities for many diverse groups as well!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I wish I could change to not overpack before going abroad!
Xenia

Amazing experience with AIFS

The staff with AIFS Barcelona made my experience amazing. I recently went back to Barcelona and visited all my professors at the UAB and the staff at the Barcelona office. This office is more of a family. I was abroad for a year and I attribute a lot of the reasons as to why i didnt get homesick because of them. What I also found really exiting and unique about this experience were the catalan classes they offered for students. I took full advantage of those classes and continued to utilize them for anytime I had catalan related questions. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone.
What i found to be the most impressive thing about this program was how much the staff really cared about you. I often found myself in and out of the hospital during my year abroad which should have been a scary experience, but because I had the staff there they made it pain free. They accompanied me to the hospital and were there to answer any questions I had. Although I spoke spanish and techicnally did not need them, they were still always there for me.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would learn more catalan, and be more intentional with my experience.
Xenia

amazing experience with AIFS

I studied abroad in Barcelona Spain through AIFS for the academic year. It was an amazing experience and I would definitely recommend to anyone. I definitely got my money's worth and the home stay they paired me with was amazing.

While abroad a tore my meniscus and was sent to several appointments at the local hospital. This may have been intimidating if I was by myself. But the AIFS local barcelona staff accompanied me each time and acted as both both translators and just generally good company during the very stressful experience of being in the hospital in another country.

The staff also gives tours of the city and available 24/7 for any questions and concerns during my year abroad. I had an amazing experience studying abroad in Barcelona and account most of that amazing experience to the AIFS staff.

Another great thing to add, at the beginning of the semester they host Catalan classes! This I have found helpful to this day.