AIFS Study Abroad in Barcelona - UAB: Semester or Academic Year

AIFS Study Abroad in Barcelona - UAB: Semester or Academic Year

Spend a semester or academic year in the modern and cosmopolitan city of Barcelona. Earn up to 15 credits through a variety of courses studying at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. Courses are taught in English or Spanish, and no previous Spanish language study is required.

AIFS in Barcelona offers students the opportunity to take courses in Spanish language, business and the humanities. Students can take courses focusing on Catalonia and Spain, the international and European business environment and more.

Live in a homestay, apartment or student residence. Enjoy cultural and social activities such as visits to museums, churches and cultural sites, Spanish cooking classes, tapas evening with Spanish students, and traditional Spanish music and dance performances. AIFS includes day trips to Gerona and Besalu, Figueras and the Dali Museum, Montserrat and Sitges, and a 3-day trip to the Pyrenees. Optional excursions include Morocco, Seville, Andalucia and Granada.

• Walking tours of the Gothic quarter and Cathedral
Activities
Classes
Meals
Travel Insurance
AIFS is a premier provider of study abroad programs. Comprehensive fees cover tuition and housing with $800,000 in scholarship and grant funding available each year. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages are available.
Barcelona

Nicholas
Michigan
Grand Valley State University

Well Rounded Experience

All aspects of this program was amazing. From the moment we landed in Barcelona the staff was always there to help regardless of the situation. The staff made the transition very easy and smooth. The program offers a wide variety of excursions to immerse yourself in the culture and make you feel like a local. I would definitely recommend participating in the optional weekend excursions, these were some of my favorite moments. I know I will never forget paragliding in Interlaken, Switzerland, riding camels in Morocco and eating tapas in Seville, Spain.
What you learn both inside and outside of the classroom will have long term impacts after you return from this amazing experience. Everyone will return with new skills, life long memories, and life long friends.

McKenna
Southern California
California Lutheran University

My Semester in Barcelona, Spain

My semester abroad was one of the most positive experiences of my life. I went during the Spring semester of my junior year, which is a time that I highly recommend to go. I think it is important to have a few semesters of college under your belt before you go abroad because I think it will make you feel better prepared to enter into a completely new environment. Also, when you return to your home institution, you have time to go abroad again. AIFS made the entire experience so positive and memorable for a number of reasons. One of the things that has stuck with me the most is how supported I felt by the local AIFS staff while I was away. They were willing to help with anything, whether it was a recommendation for dinner or taking me to the doctor when I was sick. After speaking with prospective students at California Lutheran University, I often hear that they are most concerned about the cost of going abroad and their living situation while they are there. AIFS is affordable and able to work with students no matter what their financial situation is. The program offers clean, safe, and modern accommodations close to the university campuses in Barcelona and the social scene. Overall, I cannot say enough great things about AIFS and I highly encourage you to check out the numerous programs they offer. Even if you do not go through AIFS, I strongly feel that everyone should study abroad if they have the opportunity. It is an amazing experience that you will carry with you throughout the rest of your life.

Brendan
Rantoul, Illinois
Roosevelt University

AIFS Barcelona

It is impossible to not fall in love with Barcelona. There is something for everyone here. From the beach, nightlife, and markets, there is something for everyone to do. And because Barcelona has a pretty big airport, travelling throughout Europe is extremely easy. The best part of my entire trip was getting the oppotunity to travel. I was able to see the worlds tallest building in Dubai, Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin, and the Northern lights in Iceland. I would have never gotten these chances so close together if I hadnt studied abroad!

It would be great if our flights allowed us to be in Barcelona a little longer after finals ended.

Jennifer
Camden
Rowan University

Aifs in Barcelona is a MUST

I´ve had an amazing expierience abroad and had the opportunity to come to Barcelona and was grateful to recieve a scholarship that covered half my tuition. I`ve had the chance to visit many places in Europe that was on my bucket list on weekends. I´ve made so many friends that I will truly miss since we all live far from eachother in the states. Inma, Jenn and Georgina were all so helpful and nice. I loved expieriencing a homestay I woke up to breakfast and came from a long day of classes to dinner daily as well. I would recommend everyone to study abroad its a great expierience and you see the world differently.

Latysha
Southern California
Howard University

Best Time of My Life

The best experience of my life was going to Carnival in Stiges. It was something like no other. I can´t even begin to explain how amazing it was. I don´t even remember everything but it was still a party like no other. Also, I love all of the floats, music, dancers, etc. It was even more great because we got to dress up too. The perfect party atomsphere with amazing people. I wish could say more. Its just something that you have to experience yourself. A must go too!

Eric
New Hartford, Connecticut
University of Louisville

AIFS Barcelona Study Abroad

I loved being able to study abraod here in Barcelona. I feel it was important to stay and experience Barcelona as much as you can, but also to travel and experience the different cultures throughout Europe and the rest of the world. My favorite city that I was able to visit abroad, other than Barcelona, was Lyon, France. Lyon was an amazing city to see first hand, and see the French culture there. It was an amazing experience overall to say the least!

Try to find additional ways to allow studtent from both UPF and UAB to meet each other throughout the semester.

Max
Los Angeles, California
California Lutheran University

Friendship abroad

It is hard to think of one speciofic story as the whole experience was a great story. I would have to say that the most memorable was not exactly what I did but rather who i did it with. I was lucky to experience great friends through the program, school, and abroad in general. I did not realize the strong connections and friendships i would make swtudying abroad. It is sad to think that I will not be able to share experiences with the same group of people again. It was unforgettable and hope to keep in touch with the people I have met abroad.

More Food!

Danielle
Chicago, IL
Drake University

Barcelona Fall 2014

This semester surpassed any expectation I could have set for myself. My host family was wonderful and extremely accomodating, especially when I got sick twice. I found the staff extremely helpful and always there as well. Having an intercambio also helped assimilate myself into the culture a little more- so thank you for setting that up. Barcelona is a great city and I´m glad I got to experience what it has to offer.

Katarina
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Bethel University

Awesome Experience in Barcelona!!

I had no idea just how memorable my time would be in Barcelona. AIFS was so helpful-anything from help with places to eat, day trips, travel tips, and just being there when we were overwhelmed. The day trips were great and an easy way to see local attractions that some programs do not include. These activities also helped you create a ¨home base¨with the other students in the program.

It seemed in the last few weeks was when I got most of the information that I needed for my trip - it would´ve been nicer to get it a little sooner to help me prepare better.

Will
Barcelona, Spain
Washington State University

Great experience!

I was very uneasy about coming abroad but everything went so much better than I expected. My day to day was filled with new activities and although I was in school it was still very fulfilling. I missed some things at home after some time but the program was very well constructed and made everything accessible and enjoyable.

Maybe allow more class flexibility.

George
Harwich, Massachusetts
Elon University

AIFS Barcelona? Whole deal.......

AIFS has been wonderful! I have made so many new friendships and was able to explore Europe in just three short months. I wish I could study abroad here again next spring! The part i enjoyed most about studying in Barcelona was exploring the city and all Barcelona has to offer! Aifs in Barcelona is the BEST program and it´s going to be sad leaving this place that I can now call my second home.

Alise
New Hampshire
Plymouth State University

Thank you AIFS for the Best Experience

Life in Barcelona was like a dream looking back, a dream that i shall never forget! I loved everything about the experience, from the culture, cuisine, and people, to the central location of the Barcelona airport which allowed for extensive travel throughout Europe. I came to Barcelona looking for something, what that something was I didn´t know, yet here in Barcelona, I found that special something I´d been searching for all along. A little part of myself that I had lost over the years I managed to find here in Barcelona. After battling with depression for two years, it´s safe to say that I consider myself mentally stable at last, and I have this experience to thank for potentially saving my life. Through this experience, my zest and appreciation for the beauty of life has been reinvigorated in a whole new way, one which I struggled to find back at home in the United States. My whole perspective on life has shifted as a result of this experience, and I daresay that I am a new, refined, mature version of myself. I´ll never forget my time here in Barcelona, for what I was looking for was inside of me all along, and now, I see.

Make sure students are aware of the spanish grading system prior to arrival so he or she can mentally prepare!

Catherine
Auburn, Alabama
Auburn University

Four Months in Barcelona

My experience in Barcelona was incredible. The AIFS program directors, Inma and Jenn, went above and beyond the entire time that we were there to make us feel comfortable, safe, and welcome. I could not have asked for better staff to approach with questions, concerns, and problems.
I chose to live with a host family for the semester. It was an experience that required patients, understanding, and an open mind. Overall, my experience with living in a host family was great. I developed a wonderful relationship with my host mom and became very comfortable in a new enviroment.
My biggest concern and worry before coming to Barcelona were finances and food. The food took some getting used to and required me to realize that speaking up and letting my host mom know that I did not like it was the only way to keep from having it again. All in all, the food in my host stay has been ok and nothing that I could not deal with.
Finances should not have caused me to lose a wink of sleep before leaving the USA, as once you meet others in your group you quickly find those that are on a budget similiar to your own and one way or another you make things work.

I feel as though more people would be inclined to study abroad if they were aware of the amount of money you will spend, or will not spend. ¨Study Abroad¨¨ carries a stigma of very expensive and lots of money. This experience in no way was cheap but when compared to what it cost to live and attend college in the US for a semester the numbers are very similiar. I think if this was illustrated to the public that more kids would realize that they CAN study abroad.

Anna
University of Vermont

Barcelona Travels

I would definitely reccomend traveling abroad in Barcelona. The locals are overall extremely nice, and there is plenty of opportunity to practice the language. However, it is not necessary to know Spanish very well. The social scene in Barcelona is unlike anything that I have experienced, and there is always something to do any night of the week. The academics here are not challenging compared to in the United States, which is nice because it gives plenty of opporunity to see the city and travel a lot. I found that the biggest challenge I faced in day to day life is getting used to doing simple things such as going to the pharmacy or doctor. These tasks may be easy in the US, but here they seem like a whole other challenge. My biggest advice is to not be scared to put yourself out there. Be proud of who you are, people will be nice to you and help you if you are nice to them. A smile is universal.

More activities with the program and day trips around Barcelona and close outside of Barcelona.

Nina
Barcelona, Spain
California

Barcelona

I really enjoyed the AIFS program. They were really helpful whenever I needed help with something or needed information. I loved the trips they offered and Barcelona was an amazing experience. I wouldn´t have chosen any other city to go to.

Alexandra
barcelona, spain
High Point University

Rhode Island to Barcelona

I come from a very small town and when i arrived in Barcelona i was very out of my element in the city. Soon, i grew to love the hustle and bustle of city life, although never really got over the metro. Walking around the city; to class, shopping, and random walks, has let me discover many hidden gems that i would never have stumbled upon. I love how independent i have become, much to city life and this study abroad program. It is an experience i wouldnt change for the world.

Joshua
Raymore, Missouri
Drury University

AIFS Barcelona

I enjoyed staying in student apartments with other students that I had not met before. It was necessary to create new friendships and helped with integrating us into the social scene in Barcelona. This also encouraged us to explore more.

More trips would be planned that went to other more distant countries or towards the south of Spain.

Breon
Milwaukee Wisconsin
University of North Texas

Study Abroad in Barcelona

The most difficult adjustment I had to make was living my day to day life without a cell phone it would be helpful if the program offered rental phones. Other than that the staff is extremely helpful, the housing options are excellent, the excursions are great, and the city of Barcelona offers fun around every corner.

I would make it free.

Stanley
Columbus, Ohio
Howard University

A Semester in Barna

Coming to Barcelona I did not know what to expect or how I would survive being in a new continent and country for the first time. I quickly felt more comfortable when I went out with the other students in the program. Although from different backgrounds, we could all relate somehow. When I learned how to treat Barcelona like home, I became more comfortable. Here in Barcelona, I became comfortable with speaking Spanish even when I realized I made mistakes. I eventually learned how to survive on my own as an adult. Barcelona has taught me a lot about the European culture and the Catalan culture, as well as who I am in this large world we live on.

I would offer more excursions to the students outside of Catalonia, for example a trip to Madrid.

quintin
barcelona, spain
California State University- San Marcos

Better than I could imagine

my experience in barcelona has been extremely amazing, i have noticed changes in myself as a person and have grown a large amount. the friends i have made in barcelona and eurpoe both in and out of my program are people that i believe i will maintain contact with for a large period of time in my life. my spanish has improved, however in a city such as barcelona it is difficult to learn spanish becuase of the whole catalan thing.

Charlie
Colchester, Vermont
Saint Michael's College

AIFS Barcelona? Whole deal.......

The experience in Spain was amazing. Definitely the best semester I´ve ever had. I would reccomend this program and city to anyone. Wish I didn´t have to leave so soon. Improving my spanish was a highlight as well as the frequent trips throughout Europe. Loved the apartment living and I got along well with all of my roommates.

Reception in London

Kyle
Long Island
Adelphi University

Barcelona is fre$h

These past four months were amazing. It was a great experience and I definitelñy do not want to leave. It was a lot of fun and I would not change a thing about it. I traveled a lot and ended up going to seven different countries while I was here. We went to Florence, Munich, Amstersdam, Andorra, London, and Paris. All of these places were incredible but Barcelona was by far my favorite place. We have been here for four months and my roommates and I most definitely took full advantage of the experience. After being here for four months we are stll exploring and finding cool new places around the city. My Spanish got so much better over these four months and it really helped coming here. I made some great friends and we are already planning to do more trips together in the future. This definitely gave me a different outlook on other things, especially on other aspects of home. It was a great four months and I already have friends from school signed up for the summer program with AIFS in the summer program. When I go home I plan on trying to motivate other people to study abroad as well, I was already able to convinvce my girlfriend to go abroad next year to florence for a month long program.

I would not change anything

Seneca
Newport, Rhode Island
University of Rhode Island

AIFS in Barcelona? Killed It!

For starters AIFS was very accommodating from the start. They give you multiple tours of the city from the jump and make sure you´re comfortable with your housing situation. The excursions they provide for free are great as well. They bring you places that you might not have been told to see before hand and help you see more. AIFS also keeps you updated via newsletter and emails on local holidays and safety tips. I lucked out with a great apartment through them located centrally in the city and any time we needed something fixed or had an issue in the apartment they handled it immediately! Overall the expirience with AIFS in Barcelona was awesome and I´d definitely recommend it to anybody looking for an easy central travel hub (where you can get cheap flights to many places in Europe) and a good time as well.

I would say I wish we did more local outings as a program and got to see more in Barcelona through the program

sarah
long island ny
Hofstra University

NY to BARNA

-loved everything about this program!
-AMAZING experience
-LOVED MY PROGRAM DIRECTOR!!
-I would definitely recommend this program
-Im really happy about my barcelona experience
-I would definitely do this program again
-I had an unbelievable time here
-Everything went perfectly
-My roommates were awesome! we got along great
-the apartment was nice and i felt super safe

Shawn
Boston, Mass
Wentworth Institute of Technology

party town barcelona

A typical day includes class, hour 40 minutes each, starting around 11 o´clock. Classes are small enough to interact among students and get to know your professor. I normally would walk back to my apartment just 3 short blocks from campus and cook myself lunch before walking back to campus for my last class of the day. After my final class I would meet up for dinner at my apartment with my four roommates where would normally all cook our own meals. Our apartment was spacious and overlooked a very busy part of the city. We had two bathrooms, one big kitchen, with an even bigger living room, and I experienced the luxury of my own bedroom. After dinner it was normally a cheap bottle of wine until around 10 o´clock, when we would prepare for the long night ahead. We would offically head out to a bar close to one of one million clubs around 12 o´clock before finally arriving at our club of choice before 2 a.m. The night would end hours later early into the morning. If it was a thursday night, we would enjoy a long sleep in the morning and an even longer weekend of fun.

The program was awesome and the location was even better. The classes were very long but the teachers were easy to work with. My least favorite part was my 9 a.m. on tuesdays and thursdays because wednesday nights were my favorite, making classses early on thursday difficult. Also i scheduled one hour-forty minute spanish class back to back twice a week. Having the same class back to back was very long and quickly diminished my drive to learn a language I previously didn´t know at all.

Jorge
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Shippensburg University

Homestay

From the personality clash to the poor food and small quantities of food served, homestay was an issue. I recommend staying away from homestay as apartment gives more freedom and more space. I did not get along with my house mom and it made the entire experience rocky. My roomate and I are 20 year old guys that eat a lot and we made that apparent, but the quantity of food that was prepared for us never sufficed. I lost 6 pounds while being abroad. I´ve also heard of friends that lost 10-15 pounds due to the lack of food available in the homestay. Also, we were not allowed to use the kitchen to even prepare our own food so we were handcuffed. I wanted to buy food to keep in the house and cook if I were hungry but was denied permission to by my house mom. Also, we were not allowed to shower during the day which did not make sense. Something small like this becomes a huge inconvenience when there is no reason to be enforcing this ridiculous rule. Also, dinner is at a strict time. If you are out enjoying a Barca game or a drink with friends and cannot be home for dinner time, you have to cancel and you´re left to your own devices to feed yourself which means more money spent. I spent half of my time at a friend´s apartment wishing that I would´ve chose that living option. For some reason, homestay is more expensive than the apartments which shouldn´t be because my house mom clearly did not spend a lot of money on my roomate and I. Up to this point this review is strictly about the homestay living accomodation because that is the only major issue I encountered while abroad. Everything else about this program was amazing and exceeded expectations. The trips and events were amazing and the staff was phenomenal. When you´re thousands of miles from home it´s comforting to have a staff that genuinely cares. I would definitely recommend this program to any student wishing to study abroad, you will not be disappointed. Some of my friends got lucky and were blessed with an amazing homestay family. They ate until full and conversed with a large family on the regular. My house mom was a single women that lives with cats, just something to keep in mind. I would recommend staying away from homestay, unless you have a specific reason to choose one, because it´s a toss up whether it will be enjoyable or not.

1) Improve reception in London, felt as if we were not a priority.
2) Include a cellphone.
3) Give more information and student reviews of living options.
4) More trips to other countries that are included in program cost.
5) Explain grading system in orientation.

Christopher
High Point, NC
High Point University

Barcelona Fall 2014

This was a great program and I couldnt be happier that I studied abroad. At first it was hard but as time went on I really loved being here and as long as you can get over the first hump its a really easy city to live in with a lot to do.

Better options for living and food options. If a student doesnt have a kitchen they should have more money on the fairfax card. Should be optional if student wants to take spanish.

¨Monica
Saint Michael's College

Barcelona Fall 2014

I really enjoyed how the classes here are so different than back at home. For example, my 7 Wonders class really gave me a great outlook on not just the city but Spanish history in general. While it was hard to adapt to a different standard of living, it was definitely something that I don´t regret and will keep the experiences with for a lifetime. As a look back on it, the difficulties were minor things that just took time to adapt to such as the way laundry was done, the inability to take a long shower, living in close quarters with people I didn´t know that well and the food.

I feel like the money I paid to my host family for food was not always available to me. The only ¨real meal of the day was dinner, often past 8:30 (which I understand is typical of Spain). However, the kids living in apartments and dorms got a certain amount of money to spend on food per week so they had the available funds to have 3 meals a day. We were offered small breakfasts´´and no lunches so I had to spend more money on food, where as I feel like I had already paid a decent amount of money, included in program fees, to be able to eat more than just a meal at dinner.

Suzanne
Fort Collins, Colorado
Colorado State University

I LOVE BARCELONA 2014

School was pretty structured. I took harder classes than most I feel like because the length of my homework and classwork was more extensive than others. It was hard to motivate myself to do the work because I was in the ¨studying abroad´´ mindset. However, I was taking political science classes and I am used to extensive reading and writing but I came in thinking it was going to be easier than my home university. It was really useful and informational though--I learned a lot!!! Classes are around an hour and a half so sometimes I got restless but for the most part, teachers would present a video and then lecture or some in class activity which I liked. It broke up the class a little bit so we weren´t just listening to lecture! Classes went a little later than most do at home. I got out at 7:30 each night and was home by 8, but considering that we didn´t eat each night until like 9, it wasn´t a big deal.

Getting used to eating at weird times for us was a struggle but we got used to it real quickly. If you are living with a host family, I would recommend going to the grocery store and buying your own snacks to have throughout the day so you are not waiting on them entirely for your meals.With that--make sure to tell your host family about the food you do not care for. It will be really helpful for you and for them. Also, they might get frustrated if you don´t tell them then down the line, they serve you something and you don´t like it.

You also need to get used to walking everywhere. It was an adjustment for me because back at home, everything is so spread out so I am constantly in my car. Here, you can walk to everywhere or take the metro. FIND THE 3 MONTH pass as soon as you get here! you will end up saving some money by getting that one instead of the 1 month unlimited! but also don´t always rely on the metro because walking is good for you and you get to see where everything is in relation to everything else!!!!! Spending most of your time traveling underground on the metro isn´t that fun!

Spend time in Barcelona because its your temporary home. Traveling was fun, but also staying here and exploring everything about the city holds a lot of value and you will be thankful one day for it! you will know all the secret local places that no one else got to see if they were always traveling!!!!

I loved Barcelona and wished I was here longer!!! AIFS was an amazing program to go through!

Give incoming students the opportunity to connect with former students to talk to them about specifically their living situation. It will be helpful to the incoming student and I know I would of benefited a lot from this

Ashley
University of Vermont

A Life Changing Experience

Barcelona is a beautiful and culture enriched area. The apartment was near both campuses, the academics were great (we went on field trips to museums and the roman walls as well as being encouraged to think outside the box and get creative), the AIFS staff was warm and welcoming, and the excursions were fantastic. I would recommend this to anyone, I´m so lucky to have had this chance. I´ll be missing the cafe con leches and walking by the Sagrada Familia every day on my way to class.

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer.

With over half a