CEA Study Abroad in Madrid, Spain

CEA Study Abroad in Madrid, Spain

Home to roughly 4 million inhabitants, Madrid is Spain’s primary political, financial, and cultural center. Madrid boasts many historical and cultural landmarks, such as the Prado Museum and the Royal Palace, as well as world-class cuisine and a lively nightlife.

Study liberal arts, business, Spanish, or engineering at CEA’s centrally-located partners, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid and Antonio de Nebrija University. Both universities offer small class sizes, courses taught in English, and an immersive experience. Courses are available in aerospace engineering, art history, biology, business, chemical engineering, communication, computer engineering, cultural studies, economics, electrical engineering, film studies, history, humanities, and international relations.

Interested? Click the “Visit Site” button to learn what’s waiting for you!

• Hands-on learning experiences that transform the world abroad into a classroom
  • Personalized Pre-Departure Advising, including visa and immigration support
  • Courses offered in English that fulfill major and general graduation requirements
  • Comprehensive on-site support, including 24/7 emergency phone
Media Relations
Physics
Sociology
High School Diploma
Included: Personalized Pre-departure Advising; Tuition & Registration; Travel Medical Insurance; On-site Orientation; Housing; Volunteer Opportunities; On-site Staff Support; Excursions and Cultural Engagement; Host Institution Services & Amenities and more. Scholarships available.

Lauryn
Madrid, Spain
Antonio de Nebrija University

Best Decision I Ever Made

Studying abroad through CEA is an overall incredible, memorable and life-changing experience. I was truly skeptical and terrified going abroad because I felt like there was so much work to be done prior to departure, but CEA made it easy. They constantly were updating me and keeping me on track with deadlines, they got me my metro card, and they also were super helpful with getting my VISA. While abroad, CEA is also incredibly supportive. During my time, I ended up in the hospital 2 weeks into my program with appendicitis. My CEA advisors were so helpful in staying in contact with my doctors, calling CEA in the US to help give my parents more information and overall just be supportive through such a difficult thing being in a foreign country. My CEA advisors always came to see me and see if I was okay. I always felt cared for and safe because my CEA advisors were there for me. CEA planned so many trips as well during my semester, like going to Segovia, Valencia, Sevilla, the Royal Palace in Madrid, the Spanish Congress, Flamenco shows and we got to try great foods with them like fried calamari sandwiches and tortillas/croquetas. The housing was beyond amazing. I lived in an apartment in a really safe area and my advisors made sure to give us tours and help us get to know what to do and what not to do in the city. My university was great! They were helpful professors and you got to meet so many international students which was my favorite part! You grow so much being abroad and CEA really helps you succeed!

Kayla

CEA Intensive Spanish in Madrid

Madrid is such a special city to experience, and the program I went through made it even better. From day one, CEA was there for us, picking us up from the airport and taking us to our housing. CEA had several excursions planned, including chocolate con churros and weekend trips to Barcelona and Sevilla! The on-site staff were SO helpful and SO friendly to us. Overall, I would recommend this program because the quality of the staff, the quality of the program, the quality of the excursions, and the quality of Madrid cannot be beat.

Daniel
Ann Arbor, MI
University of Michigan

Outside of Your Comfort Zone in Spain's Most Beautiful City

When I embarked on my journey to Madrid, I never imagined the richness and variety of the experience I would have. There are so many uniquely fascinating people in Madrid, and most of them are willing to engage in conversations that will blow your mind. The most intriguing thing that I found was that these conversations would always come when I least expected it.

A brief illustration: I was exploring the barrio around my homestay near the Metro stop Legazpi (south of Sol about 5 stops) and I stopped at a corner bar to watch a Real Madrid game. This was a bar that served free tapas with a drink, so I took full advantage of that, while subtly eavesdropping on the conversation next to me between a Madrileño family. Eventually, they approached me and asked about my story, and the conversation eventually ended up with the discussion of European fútbol and bullfighting. These older Madrileños preferred watching bullfighting and didn't really enjoy soccer, whereas the younger generation is vehemently against bullfighting and raves over soccer. I never would have guessed this generational disparity to exist, but nevertheless, I walked away from that conversation with some more insights into life in Madrid.

This is a short illustration of countless experiences that happened in Madrid with the locals. There is so much to do in Madrid, so many barrios to get lost in, and countless bars/shops/restaurants to stop at and spark up conversations. And don't worry if you are intimidated to start conversations with random people - they will often approach you because they are always curious to learn more about Americans.

The only complaint I had about this program was my housing accommodations. I had a phenomenal host family whom I cherished and I still maintain a relationship with them. However, they were located extremely far outside the city, and the extremity of this distance was not communicated to me. Also, I was not given much of a choice between alternative housing accommodations after I had been assigned housing. It would have been nice to have had a few definitive options before being locked into one.

I commuted one hour to school one way every day. It was exhausting and inconvenient. If not for my amazing host family I would have tried to transfer to different housing. My advice is to prioritize proximity to the center of the city as much as possible.

Farida
Towson , maryland
Towson University

Amazing Study Abroad 2015 spring

Prior to studying abroad I'd been to Europe once before to visit some family in Berlin but other that I had never done anything like this. Studying abroad was the most liberating experience I've had in my life so far. I was living in spain for five months thanks to the early start liberal arts , Madrid program through CEA. Upon arrival I was greeted by the CEA team with warm signs and smiles. We spent the first day and night getting oriented but the program took off quickly and soon we were in our new homes. I was taking spanish classes at the Nebrija University and the staff there were so friendly and understanding of our journey as american foreign exchange students. Overall it was a wonderful experience. I was very scared before I left because i didn't really know what to expect and although there was an itinerary I was always looking for more details. That's part of the experience though, some parts you will only know once you've done them. I remember trying to research what the metro will be like since in my city (Baltimore) we barely have one. Our CEA representatives took us to the metro as a group and explained to us how it worked and what to do and instantly my reservations fell away.I later found out that this wasn't a feature of all the programs studying in my university so we were fortunate to have that kind of guidance. If that isn't enough the shopping was spectacular. We arrived right after new years so there were many sales to take advantage of. Our CEA reps were even so kind as to send us tips on which areas would be nice for us to explore and go shopping. They were like our spanish parents for those of us who decided not to do a homestay. They set us tips about great places to eat and things to do. If we ever felt sad of were not feeling well they were a simple call away.

If I had to say one thing to be improved I'd say it would be nice if we could take classes with other spanish students. There were spanish students in the building we studied in but they didn't take our classes. I'd like to have the option to take some classes with them.

With 20 destinations across 11 countries, CEA Study Abroad offers an ideal balance of academics, internships, and adventure to more than 4,000 students each year. Find out where learning abroad can take you by clicking the “Visit Site” button and exploring our many options.

Why