CEA Study Abroad in Paris, France

Imagine spending a semester in Paris, the embodiment of fine art, cuisine, and fashion. Home to one of the world’s most beautiful skylines, the Louvre, the Arc de Triomphe, the Notre-Dame, and the enchanting Seine River, Paris has an incredible history. Experience the beauty of Paris easily by taking the Metro or with the city’s famed public bike system.

Choose from a wide range of courses offered in both English and French. CEA partners with Paris-Sorbonne University, The Catholic University of Paris, and Novancia Business School and has a Paris Study Center. You can take courses at one of these partner institutions, at the CEA Paris Study Center, or enroll in hybrid learning program.

In addition to Study Abroad programs, explore CEA Internships Abroad, our dynamic program that provides hands-on, practical experience to help you rise above the competition.

Interested? Click the “Visit Site” button to learn what’s waiting for you!

• Hands-on learning experiences that transform the world abroad into a classroom
  • Personalized Pre-Departure Advising, including visa and immigration support
  • Courses offered in English that fulfill major and general graduation requirements
  • Comprehensive on-site support, including 24/7 emergency phone
  • Career workshops, Internships Abroad, and Alumni Ambassador positions

Lauren

Engineering My Life in Paris

Being apart of the engineering program at CEA was an interesting experience. This had been the first semester that the program was offered so there were some things that they were testing out for the first time. Overall, the engineering classes weren't terrible. They were different than those offered in the states though. They got two pretty great professors for us and one who was very disorganized with planning. This made learning hard in that class because all of us were unsure of what we needed to know. My other class that I took at CEA was amazing! The professor was great and took pride in her job and showing us a different side of Paris. The only thing I would really change about my stay here is where I chose to live. I lived in the dorm and we did not have reliable WiFi the entire semester. CEA was very helpful about that issue though. Besides that, the dorm was just some rules, some of which were included in the agreement, and some that weren't, that were just rather strange and made no sense. I loved being able to explore Paris on my own time and being able to travel within Europe though during my stay.

Having organized professors, dorms with wifi, and classes that focus on the practicality of the applications and not just the theory.
Jared

unexpected challenges / irreplaceable growth

CEA Paris has exposed me to an vast array of challenges through the duration of my semester abroad, but the accompanying insights into culture, sociology, history (especially of art), novel academic environments, and international consciousness/"citizenship" have been utterly incredible and dually vital to personal growth that I have no doubt would be impossible to replicate elsewhere.

Paris itself is a location that I genuinely believe outranks [virtually] all others as a destination for study abroad; as I see it, the simple fact is that few if any other global cities can rival the vastness of its rich history, culture, and modern-day draw. For the ways in which their program has permitted me to access and observe that, CEA has my gratitude without reservations.

The CEA Paris staff were an immensely helpful and kind team. All my personal experiences with them were highly positive, whether the reason for our interactions was connected to academics, student life, or my own personal life/experiences in the city.

Culturally, I gained ongoing insights and immersion opportunities through my courses at CEA. I think this was the greatest strength of academics in CEA's Paris Program—the integration of field studies, general out-of-classroom adventures, and French culture learning to encourage a deeper level of immersion in the local culture throughout the semester. Beyond academics too, a series of weekend trips, evening excursions, and in-house workshops supplied almost non-stop opportunities to explore the nuances and histories of Paris/France. This spread of activities was incredibly well-prepared and planned by the CEA staff and aided adaptation immensely. A bit sadly, I did not feel as though I had connection to community in Paris, nor did I find myself building relationships with Parisians through the course of the semester, though this is reflective of French social culture and *not* of CEA's immersion programming.

Through the excursions built into CEA courses and included as weekend activities of the program, there were many times during which I was able to connect more deeply with my peers as we shared very special exploration and discovery experiences in Paris and beyond. Paris/France are beautiful and *fascinating* places, and the people with whom you experience so many "firsts" here are ones with whom you naturally begin to grow closer. Despite the challenge of connecting with the local French people, the sense of community that I see within the student body here at CEA Paris is quite strong, and for that I am very grateful.

Academics were less intellectually stimulating than I had hoped them to be, yet the content of the courses was an *excellent* gateway nonetheless into Parisian/French culture. My professors were deeply knowledgable and kind, understanding people. Because CEA is an American-based study-abroad provider whose signature courses transfer through University of New Haven with no French university as a liaison, the syllabi were structured very similarly to those I receive in courses at my home institution. The instruction of the courses, however, did not wholly follow the syllabi, and rubrics for grading were distributed in only 1 of my 5 courses, thus leaving grades often ambiguous. Relative to my prior higher-ed academic experiences, course assignments too were disappointing; in 3 of my 5 courses (the two French language courses being the exceptions), I did not feel that assignments were clearly connected to learning objectives and content from lectures but rather more often created "busy work" that merely fell in the same broad genre/field of study in which each respective course was situated. Still, because I was personally motivated to make my learning experiences meaningful, I exerted myself in these assignments and consequently found value in the work—a simple reinforcement of the maxim "it is what you make of it."
I will add that the French courses I took during my studies here—one as an early-start two-week language intensive, the second through the duration of the regular semester—were thoughtfully structured and instructed with much care and patience, both of them *incredibly* helpful to my language acquisition and vital to my survival and exploration here. Now at the semester's end, I am eager to continue independent study of French back home, and I am ecstatic to know that I have reasonable conversational capacity now considering I spoke NO French when I landed in Paris in January.

I lived in two forms of housing during my time here, both set up through CEA. During the early-start language intensive program that preceded the main semester, I lived for 2 weeks in a shared studio apartment; by my own tastes/standards, space was very limited and gave me no privacy, which was an especial challenge with my roommate of the time. During the remainder of the semester, however, I lived in a shared apartment that though moderate in size provided ample space for me and my roommate to follow independent meal and sleep schedules, though more often than not we dined together, studied simultaneously, etc. as the space certainly permitted that too. I chose to have a roommate assigned at random, but "random" frankly seems a crude term to apply to something so well aligned—whatever their methods of matching may be, the CEA staff gave me an *excellent* pairing and thus a great new friendship in the process.

I did not have to consult with CEA to address personal health issues during my semester, though while accompanying a classmate on her hospital visit I was taken aback by the lack of communication given by the hospital staff and challenged by the depth of the language barrier in that setting. In comparison to my campus in the States in rather peaceful and uneventful Vermont, Paris (unsurprisingly) requires much more concern for one's safety; thankfully, CEA did equip students well at the semester's start with tips and recommendations for their safety. I was a victim of pickpocketing once and a victim of *attempted* robbery on a separate occasion; despite financial losses and emotional impact, my physical safety was, thankfully, not threatened in either instance.
Emily Deanne

J'aime CEA Paris

My abroad travels were certainly worthwhile. I feel as though after living abroad I have a new found confidence as well as a changed global outlook on the world. I found internship opportunities through CEA which complemented my experience as well as my resume. One of my favorite aspects of CEA was their cultural engagement program, where the staff lead excursions to connect students with the Parisien community.

CEA staff made every effort to assist students in connecting with local culture. They did this through arranging housing among other french persons, arranging guest speakers, and arranging a variety of day trips and walking excursions within the city throughout the semester.

I felt as though the intensity and rigor of the courses I took did not align with that of the program descriptions I had initially looked at when applying for this program. I actually found the courses to me more intense than anticipated accompanied with more homework, research papers, and presentations than I though. However, the resources provided were beneficial to my courses and the cultural engagement requirement for each class (where students are required to participate in an excursion that pertains to the course material) I found to heighten my comprehension of course content as well as my interest in the Parisian culture. Additionally CEA Paris has an impressive range of professors with real world experience within their disciplines.

The administration here at CEA made every effort to acclimate their students. They did this through formal orientation programs and out of the classroom activities.

Living abroad can be a tricky situation however my living arrangements were very comfortable. In the event of a leaky pipe or power outage, the staff at CEA always responded immediately and helped my roommates and I to fix the situation.

Meal plan was not an option for this program. Paris however has an amazing range of things to eat so I never went hungry. Additionally, upon arrival, CEA staff coached us on where to shop for food, how to read labels, and inexpensive dining options that aligned with our student budgets.

I never personally had to see a doctor or go to urgent care while abroad. However my roommates did, and CEA staff were accommodating, discreet, and took the time to follow up multiple times with the students.

I never felt unsafe once while studying in Paris. My housing was in a quite neighborhood, people on the metro were civil, and because I was aware of my surroundings and tried my best to not stick out I was perfectly fine.

Though Paris is an expensive city to live in (like any major city) I found it manageable finance wise to eat, shop, and travel.

Every professor and staff member encouraged me to use and practice my french while abroad. I definitely think my language skills have improved since going abroad.

If i had to do it over again I 100% would. I learned so many practical life lessons that I would have never learned in a traditional classroom. The only thing I would do differently would be to sign up for an entire year abroad!

The only thing I wish I knew before this program would be the level of difficulty of some classes. For me, I knew only a small amount of french before going abroad and the level of french that I took abroad was probably too hard for me (but I managed :) ).

One way this program could be improved would be through the student body. I found that there was very little variety of students that attended the program. With the exception of two Russian students the program was made up of mostly white Americans girls, and only a few males. Additionally, I wish there was a gym associated with the center! It would have been nice to have a place to workout or some sort of fitness classes provided as a bonding experience between the students.
Mattie

Intensive French Language program in Paris through CEA

I decided to study abroad for one academic year in Paris through CEA during the '16-'17 year, and absolutely loved it. It was by far my favorite year out of all four years of my college experience and I cannot wait to return to Europe in the near future. All of my advisors through CEA were amazing, and helped me with everything I had ever needed when I was abroad. The education I received was great, though there was some confusion with what classes were available and which were not prior to my enrollment for the second semester. I was placed with wonderful host parents, though they were not always at home and were a bit more conventional, but I learned a lot from them in the end. I hope to continue keeping in touch with CEA one way or another and would highly recommend studying abroad with them!

Perhaps a more updated list of classes for the program? I'm still unsure of how things got turned around with my second semester classes but other than that, there is nothing I can think of to improve.
Kayla

My Semester Abroad

I had an amazing time studying with CEA in Paris. The onsite staff was so supportive, the classes were interesting, and I made AMAZING friends. We went on really fun excursions, and I loved being able to travel. I was nervous about how I would fit in with other students, but I made friends quickly. I was also nervous about how classes would go, but everything turned out great. Again, the classes were really interesting, and I loved my professors. They were all so kind and helpful. I would definitely go abroad with CEA again.

Erin

Great First Study Abroad Experience

As someone who has never gone abroad before, CEA made the whole process much easier and less daunting. Luckily, I was able to get a travel voucher that covered my roundtrip flight, making the overall cost more manageable (plus I was able to arrive two months early to do some traveling!). The US staff was wonderful leading up to departure and I absolutely adored everyone at the Paris location--if you are feeling unsure or have literally any question ever (what's the best bakery, how do I use the metro, etc.) they will help you!

I lived with a host family in a large apartment in the 11th arrondissement, which was super cool, but be warned that it may be more difficult to hang with friends when you are with a host family!

My advice is to NOT take a whole bunch of classes. Typically, I take 6 classes a semester at home and manage, but I was only taking 4 while abroad and was overwhelmed, especially during midterms/finals. Don't let school get in the way of learning, as Paris has much to teach.

Overall, the excursions were AWESOME, there is always something to do in Paris, and I met a ton of people that I know will be a big part of my life for years to come. Thank you for everything CEA.

More interaction with locals and French students would be great. The students at Sorbonne/Diderot have more opportunities to meet locals, but us at CEA have a harder time. Otherwise, don't change a thing.
Dana

An Immersive Program With Attentive Staff!

CEA made the logistics of studying abroad easy and accessible. Their thorough attention to detail (like helping us through the student visa process, ensuring that our first few days in a new country weren't terrifying, and being there to solve any problem throughout the semester) let me feel safe and free to enjoy my time abroad.

Along with courses tailored to French culture and the city of Paris, CEA also included numerous excursions to city events and trips around the country. These experiences let me understand and enjoy France in a way I'm incredibly grateful for.

The staff at the CEA Paris Center were absolutely lovely! They truly made Paris feel like a home to me, and their interest in our lives/experience made it feel like more than just a school campus.

I so recommend studying abroad with CEA, because you won't be able to craft such an immersive and breathtaking experience anyway else.

Possibly by housing some CEA students closer together, as we were evenly spread across the city.
Leah

CEA Study Abroad Fall 2017

I knew I wanted to study abroad in Paris and CEA was the right fit for me! I was immediately drawn to the fun courses they offered - my photography and oenology courses were actually as fun as how cool they sounded in the beginning. CEA takes care of all the stuff you don't want to like housing and maintenance, and they also give us tips and advice along the way. I would recommend becoming a MOJO blogger/photographer for a great way to document your time abroad while building your resume. The excursions included in the program, especially Honfleur, was super fun to hang out with the other CEA kids in Paris!

I would make sure there is more inclusion with French local students - I was able to mingle with other peers since I was in the Global Competence class, but I would expand on this.
Mika

Life Changer

My experience studying abroad shaped the way I want to live my life. The professors were personable and adaptable, the housing was clean and accessible, and the country was inclusive. Because of this experience, I decided to continue my education and am now in a master’s program for Intercultural Communication. I can’t wait to live in France and I know I have support when I return from the friends I have made there and staff I have met.

This program provided all of the necessities and gave cultural and diversity training, which was amazing to be apart of. It would be beneficial to continue the training to last more than just a day, as I’ve learned a ton from it.
Kayla

Great experience with CEA!

I absolutely loved my semester with CEA. Professors and staff members were fantastic, it was easy to make friends, and I enjoyed everything CEA had to offer (excursions, activities, and information for getting involved outside CEA). My only complaints would be when it comes to course difficulty and absence policy. The courses were a lot more difficult than I was anticipating for study abroad, and I felt as though the absence policy was a lot stricter than necessary. Nevertheless, I had an incredible time with CEA, and I would absolutely recommend CEA Paris to anyone.

Kiana

Bad First Impression and Poor System of Assigning Roommates

I am giving CEA a 1 star for their disappointing first impression and for their poor system of assigning roommates. I have studied abroad once before, through a different program, where I had no problems with roommate requests. If anything, roommate requests should make CEA’s job easier when it comes to matching roommates. I had requested to be with my friend back in November, and I was with her when she accepted my request. That should be a big enough indicator that we wanted to be together. CEA is claiming that I needed to also accept her request which seems like a whole unnecessary second step. When I called CEA to ask about our roommate assignments, they were able to see that we had requested each other. When I asked why they did not honor our roommate request, they were not able to give me a valid reason. Not only am I not roommates with my friend, but she’s not even in the same building as I am in! I would have been less inclined to complain if she going to at least be placed in the same building as me. CEA should make roommate requests a bigger priority because some people choose to be roommates because of plans to borrow/share clothes, toiletries, electronics or so they can split bills on groceries or taxi cab fees, etc. It is not only inconvenient, but it also adds an unnecessary risk to our safety. Our travel plans include us arriving to airports and train stations late at night and it is unfortunate that we now have to take separate routes to get to our own apartments instead of us just staying together. It is obviously safer to arrive back to your apartment with someone, so if two people knew that they would be with each other the majority of their stay, I don’t understand why CEA would not want to honor their roommate requests. I have worked incredibly hard to save money for this program and it is so disappointing that this program does not try harder in granting roommate requests. I have talked to other people on this program and they too have said their roommate requests were not granted. I will not let this roommate mix up incident ruin my trip, but hopefully CEA proves to be more accommodating, organized, and hospitable for the remaining of the program.

Response from CEA Study Abroad

Dear Kiana,

We are sorry that your initial pre-departure experience with CEA was not as positive as we would hope. When you brought your disappointment to our attention, we solved the issue within 24 hours and placed you in an apartment with your preferred roommate. We also found roommate solutions for the other students you mentioned. Our goal is to provide the most positive and rewarding student experience possible. We sincerely hope that your experience in Paris was valuable and that you enjoyed expanding your horizons abroad.

Sincerely,
The CEA Study Abroad Team

No, I don't recommend
Ysabel

j'adore Paris!!

I could not recommend CEA Pais enough. I dont want to leave, none of us do, and many of my friends are even staying a year now because they cant leave! In short, | would say it is a city where you cannot have complaints, and CEA really meets you to ensure your time is even better. They were careful to match us with roommates who we are most alike, who will hopefully be my new friends for life! We were so fortunate to have a gorgeous and very spacious apartment, which can be so hard to come by in Paris, in a safe and very french arrondissement.

In Paris, you are living in a city where you will hear little to no English in passing, you basically must know at least key french words to get by, and I actually felt fully apart and integrated into the french culture off the bat. That is definitely someting I can't say about other european cities I visited. I feel so lucky to know I have really and truly had an experience where I can call it a home, and don't consider myself a tourist, because you quickly learn that you won't be treated the way you want to if you act like a tourist. I learned to adapt to a culture completly different from my own!

If you are to join CEA Paris, my one advice is, DO everything. Go to the free events: soccer games, wine tastings, tours, overnight trips, because those were where we became close as a program and | built relationships with students (CEA students) from all over the united states that I would have never met otherwise.

Lizzie

a review of CEA

I did enjoy my time at CEA very much. 4/5 of my professors were excellent. My experience was incredible, and I loved Paris so much. Thank you for a great semester. I had a great experience with great professors, for the most part and the CEA administration is excellent. I lived in a lovely neighborhood, although my dorm wasnt the greatest (not through any fault of CEA), they were lovely and very helpful.

Coco

Overall Great Experience

Like any study abroad experiences there are going to be ups and downs but the program CEA in Paris France is able to help you navigate through the complexities of the transitions. The classes might have been a little bit harder than I was expecting but nothing that wasn't unmanageable. The staff were very friendly and approachable so any questions I might have had could be easily answered. My only criticism would be that I think there could have been more done to introduce the students to one another to make it easier to branch out an meet new people.

Jordan

La Vie en France

Taking a leap of faith in coming to Paris, I could not be happier with my experiance. Especially with how much I have grown as an independant individual. Getting to know locals and making friends in the city and in my dorm has made contacts that I will have for the rest of my life. I know I will be back here soon, and don't want my experiance to end. Greatful for this opportunity. Taking a leap of faith in coming to Paris, I could not be happier with my experiance. Especially with how much I have grown as an independant individual. Getting to know locals and making friends in the city and in my dorm has made contacts that I will have for the rest of my life. I know I will be back here soon, and don't want my experiance to end. Greatful for this opportunity.

Ease up on the homework.

About CEA Study Abroad

With 20 destinations across 11 countries, CEA Study Abroad offers an ideal balance of academics, internships, and adventure to more than 4,000 students each year. Find out where learning abroad can take you by clicking the “Visit Site” button and...