CEA Study Abroad in Paris, France

Paris, France
Paris, France
CEA Study Abroad Student in Paris
CEA Study Abroad Student in Paris

Imagine spending a semester in Paris, the embodiment of fine art, cuisine, and fashion. Home to one of the world’s most beautiful skylines, the Louvre, the Arc de Triomphe, Notre-Dame, and the enchanting Seine River, Paris has an incredible history. Experience the beauty of Paris easily by taking the Metro or with the city’s famed public bike system.

Choose from a wide range of courses offered in both English and French. CEA partners with Paris-Sorbonne University, The Catholic University of Paris, and ESSCA Ecole de Management and has a Paris Study Center. You can take courses at one of these partner institutions, at the CEA Paris Study Center, or enroll in hybrid learning program.

In addition to Study Abroad programs, explore CEA Internships Abroad, our dynamic program that provides hands-on, practical experience to help you rise above the competition.

Interested? Click the “Visit Site” button to learn what’s waiting for you!

• Hands-on learning experiences that transform the world abroad into a classroom
  • Personalized Pre-Departure Advising, including visa and immigration support
  • Courses offered in English that fulfill major and general graduation requirements
  • Comprehensive on-site support, including 24/7 emergency phone
  • Career workshops, Internships Abroad, and Alumni Ambassador positions

CEA Scholarships
CEA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Studying abroad will change your life, improve your employability, and enhance your global competence. That's why we commit more than $2.0 million each year to our financial and scholarship programs.

$400 - $3,000

Tali

An immersive cultural experience!

Studying in Paris with CEA was an incredible experience. The classes offered allowed me to explore my interests while fulfilling classes needed to graduate (they offered a lot of courses that easily transferred to general electives and even some major classes. The workload was clear and easily manageable, and the classes themselves were super interesting. In my architecture class, we would have weekly excursions to on-site locations we had previously studied in class, which was a really great way to get to know new parts of the city. I also took a French language class at the Sorbonne. I got to meet international students and get exposed to the French education system. The class met for 2 hours 5 days a week and also had a phonetics component which really helped me with my pronunciation. However, I would say this class isn’t for everyone because it was definitely difficult to get adjusted to the French teaching style, and was a big time commitment for just one class. The studio I stayed in was modern and had everything necessary for a comfortable semester. The support from the staff was above and beyond my expectations. They were always quick to respond to any questions or maintenance requests, and were really easy to talk to and ask about the city. They were really friendly and always ready to give recommendations on things to do in the city and even helped me buy a train pass when I travelled around France. The program also did a really great job into helping us immerse ourselves into Parisian life and French culture. The excursions around Paris were my favorite part because I got to discover new parts of the city and explore a really wide variety of interests (from a France v. Germany soccer match to seeing a modern dance show at the Opera Garnier!) The weekend trips that are included in the program were something that I really enjoyed because we got to see unique parts of the country while having everything pre-planned out for us.

Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for your review, Tali! We appreciate your thorough reflection of your time in Paris with CEA, as it will serve as a guide for future students researching their own study abroad programs. Be sure to stop by and say “bonjour” the next time you’re in Paris, and we wish you the best in your future endeavors!

Alexis

Thanks for the best semester!

Studying abroad with CEA was the adventure of a lifetime. It has inspired me to do so much more travel in my life and I can't wait to go back to Paris! The onsite and offsite staff were so helpful and kind throughout the whole process and made the experience enjoyable. Our professors took us on amazing field trips to places like the louvre and the opera house. I've never had so much fun while going to class, and there was still enough time for me to take plenty of trips. They helped me find an internship, which was such a valuable experience to add on to my semester abroad. I feel so much more prepared to graduate after having so many unique and rewarding experiences throughout the semester. I'll never forget what an incredible semester I had in Paris with CEA.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Squid ink pasta with a sea urchin sauce...surprisingly really good!!
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful review, Alexis! We are thrilled to hear you had the “adventure of a lifetime” with CEA. It makes us so happy to hear your kind words about the staff, academics, travels and your internship! Your review will help guide future CEA students when researching their own study abroad programs. Be sure to stop by and say "bonjour” the next time you find yourself in Paris, and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

Abigail

A Dream Come True

I have always dreamed of studying abroad and CEA made this a reality for me. They had the most classes that could transfer back into my degree — I even had the option of choosing the courses that most interested me, which was hard to find through other programs. The communication between staff and students is excellent. Just before orientation my flight to Paris was cancelled, but they were patient and attentive in making sure I still had a smooth transition into my semester in France. My studio apartment was very small (or should I say Parisian) but very comfortable. CEA was quick to respond to any housing issues we had; our washing machine broke and was fixed in a matter of two days. This communication is consistent with the professors as well. Their expectations are clear, the workload is considerate and manageable, and (in my experience) the courses are very gears towards cultural immersion. My art history classes often took place on location in the city, so we could take full advantage of studying away from our home institutions. Excursions were well planned and lots of fun. I also loved that excursions with available spots were always opened up to the remainder of the student body, so I was able to jump on even more trips and workshops. The staff was also a valuable resource for Parisian life — often giving me great food recommendations or travel suggestions — and were genuinely concerned with my learning experience and well being. Finally, I also really valued that my experience was so individual. Studying with CEA forced me out of my comfort zone and onto the streets of a foreign country. I learned a lot and am now headed home with memories I will cherish forever. That being said, if you are looking for a study abroad experience that caters more towards maintaining an American identity or fostering a relationship within the student body, this may not be the program for you.

That being said, I do believe that students would definitely benefit from more interaction with French students or youth. I loved my experience, but it did definitely leave room for more international or community relationships. With such a candid audience of impressionable students, they could absolutely use that to opportunity participate more (or create a presence within) the community.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Abby, we are grateful for your thoughtful review and are so glad to hear you had a great experience with CEA in Paris. We also appreciate your candid feedback and are always working to incorporate student suggestions to improve our programs. You share so many of the same sentiments as many of our CEA Paris alumni! We’re proud to have a great team there to work with wonderful students such as yourself. Your detailed review and notes on cultural immersion opportunities will help guide future students when they’re choosing their own study abroad program. Be sure to stop by and say “bonjour” the next time you find yourself in Paris!

Eiffel Tower at sunset
Kiara

If Paris is your destination, go with CEA

Bonjour Bonjour

I studied abroad Fall of 2017 for one semester with CEA, and truly it wasn't long enough! From pre-departure to arrival and everything in between, CEA is with you every step of the way. I applied about 7 months in advance which gave me a travel voucher of $750 to help with my flight expenses. The pre-depature was made easy as I was throughly told what to do from the start and what needed to get done before I left. Upon arrival to Paris, I was given multiple presentations to help adapt with the culture and how to deal with unexpected situations which made me feel more comfortable being in a new city that I had never been to before. I took classes at Cours Civilization Français a la Sorbonne Monday-Friday and took French language classes. Overall my experience was one in a lifetime. Expect to make life long friends and have tons of fun on the adventures that CEA takes you on. My favorite thing about Paris was watching the Eiffel Tower sparkle at night. I honestly can't wait to go back and I'm so thankful to have had the experience that I did with CEA!

Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for your thoughtful review, Kiara! We’re so glad you grew from a fantastic experience studying abroad at the Sorbonne in Paris with CEA, and made lifelong friends. Be sure to stop by and say hello should you find yourself in Paris again!

Kayla

Amazing Program

At CEA, you don't just study while abroad, you study while being so immersed into the local culture and city. I only spent about half of my class periods in the actual classroom - we were always out in the city with our professors (who are brilliant, btw) and learning through seeing and doing! I really recommend CEA in any city, but CEA Paris was amazing as a francophile and lover of French culture.

Above that, CEA provides so much support from the second you apply and even after you return home. I loved CEA Paris that I am returned again as a last semester senior, and the CEA staff have done SO much to make sure I get everything I need out of the program. I didn't expect to receive so much from them the second time around, but the staff has been endlessly helpful and I can't wait to return!

Response from CEA Study Abroad

Kayla, thank you for sharing your review! We are so glad to hear your experience with CEA was a positive one, and be sure to stop in and say hello should you find yourself in Paris again! Best of luck with all your pursuits!

Gemma

Best Housing Arrangements Ever!!

Every summer my university offers an internship opportunity in Paris, but this was the first time my school used CEA to take care of students' logistics (e.g., housing, health insurance). Last year there were nine of us in total going to Paris (plus our professor who did not live with us!). Before coming to Paris we were told that most likely we would all be living in different parts of the city. However, CEA pulled some magic tricks and managed to place us all in two apartments in the same apartment building in one of the wealthiest areas of Paris. And not only this, but my apartment also had a view of the Eiffel Tower!!!! It was spacious for a Parisian apartment, and was nicely decorated. My classmates and I had everything we needed from an iron and washer to a pizza cutter and rice cooker. The CEA center also had additional appliances that we could request, like extra forks, fans, and even hair straighteners. We did have some problems with our shower, but the CEA staff was very responsive and sent someone to repair it the next day after we reported it. They had also told us that the apartment would come with no TV, but it did. This was great because we were able to get a small peak at what French television shows are like, but also because once a week all of my classmates and I would get together to make crepes and watch a movie afterwards. Overall, I really enjoy our housing arrangements. I loved sitting by my window feeling the night breeze and admiring the Eiffel Tower! It truly felt like home and allowed my classmates and I to bond and become like a family!

Since I came to Paris with other students from my university, I mainly hung out with them. We also did not take classes that CEA offers because of the nature of our custom program. My classmates and I would have class once a week at the CEA center with our professor. I would have liked for there to be more opportunities to connect with the other CEA students and staff on the weekends or in the afternoons. I remember they would also post on the door at the CEA center what events were going on in the city that week but I would have liked to receive that information electronically as well.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Gemma, we are pleased you enjoyed your custom internship abroad experience with us. Thank you for the feedback on better ways to communicate local activities. We are always looking to improve our programming and have shared your thoughts with our staff.

Read my full story
Lauren

Engineering My Life in Paris

Being apart of the engineering program at CEA was an interesting experience. This had been the first semester that the program was offered so there were some things that they were testing out for the first time. Overall, the engineering classes weren't terrible. They were different than those offered in the states though. They got two pretty great professors for us and one who was very disorganized with planning. This made learning hard in that class because all of us were unsure of what we needed to know. My other class that I took at CEA was amazing! The professor was great and took pride in her job and showing us a different side of Paris. The only thing I would really change about my stay here is where I chose to live. I lived in the dorm and we did not have reliable WiFi the entire semester. CEA was very helpful about that issue though. Besides that, the dorm was just some rules, some of which were included in the agreement, and some that weren't, that were just rather strange and made no sense. I loved being able to explore Paris on my own time and being able to travel within Europe though during my stay.

Having organized professors, dorms with wifi, and classes that focus on the practicality of the applications and not just the theory.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thanks, Lauren, for your review. We are always looking for ways to improve our programs, so we appreciate your insight. We will utilize your feedback as we continue to evaluate and adapt our programming.

Jared

unexpected challenges / irreplaceable growth

CEA Paris has exposed me to an vast array of challenges through the duration of my semester abroad, but the accompanying insights into culture, sociology, history (especially of art), novel academic environments, and international consciousness/"citizenship" have been utterly incredible and dually vital to personal growth that I have no doubt would be impossible to replicate elsewhere.

Paris itself is a location that I genuinely believe outranks [virtually] all others as a destination for study abroad; as I see it, the simple fact is that few if any other global cities can rival the vastness of its rich history, culture, and modern-day draw. For the ways in which their program has permitted me to access and observe that, CEA has my gratitude without reservations.

The CEA Paris staff were an immensely helpful and kind team. All my personal experiences with them were highly positive, whether the reason for our interactions was connected to academics, student life, or my own personal life/experiences in the city.

Culturally, I gained ongoing insights and immersion opportunities through my courses at CEA. I think this was the greatest strength of academics in CEA's Paris Program—the integration of field studies, general out-of-classroom adventures, and French culture learning to encourage a deeper level of immersion in the local culture throughout the semester. Beyond academics too, a series of weekend trips, evening excursions, and in-house workshops supplied almost non-stop opportunities to explore the nuances and histories of Paris/France. This spread of activities was incredibly well-prepared and planned by the CEA staff and aided adaptation immensely. A bit sadly, I did not feel as though I had connection to community in Paris, nor did I find myself building relationships with Parisians through the course of the semester, though this is reflective of French social culture and *not* of CEA's immersion programming.

Through the excursions built into CEA courses and included as weekend activities of the program, there were many times during which I was able to connect more deeply with my peers as we shared very special exploration and discovery experiences in Paris and beyond. Paris/France are beautiful and *fascinating* places, and the people with whom you experience so many "firsts" here are ones with whom you naturally begin to grow closer. Despite the challenge of connecting with the local French people, the sense of community that I see within the student body here at CEA Paris is quite strong, and for that I am very grateful.

Academics were less intellectually stimulating than I had hoped them to be, yet the content of the courses was an *excellent* gateway nonetheless into Parisian/French culture. My professors were deeply knowledgable and kind, understanding people. Because CEA is an American-based study-abroad provider whose signature courses transfer through University of New Haven with no French university as a liaison, the syllabi were structured very similarly to those I receive in courses at my home institution. The instruction of the courses, however, did not wholly follow the syllabi, and rubrics for grading were distributed in only 1 of my 5 courses, thus leaving grades often ambiguous. Relative to my prior higher-ed academic experiences, course assignments too were disappointing; in 3 of my 5 courses (the two French language courses being the exceptions), I did not feel that assignments were clearly connected to learning objectives and content from lectures but rather more often created "busy work" that merely fell in the same broad genre/field of study in which each respective course was situated. Still, because I was personally motivated to make my learning experiences meaningful, I exerted myself in these assignments and consequently found value in the work—a simple reinforcement of the maxim "it is what you make of it."
I will add that the French courses I took during my studies here—one as an early-start two-week language intensive, the second through the duration of the regular semester—were thoughtfully structured and instructed with much care and patience, both of them *incredibly* helpful to my language acquisition and vital to my survival and exploration here. Now at the semester's end, I am eager to continue independent study of French back home, and I am ecstatic to know that I have reasonable conversational capacity now considering I spoke NO French when I landed in Paris in January.

I lived in two forms of housing during my time here, both set up through CEA. During the early-start language intensive program that preceded the main semester, I lived for 2 weeks in a shared studio apartment; by my own tastes/standards, space was very limited and gave me no privacy, which was an especial challenge with my roommate of the time. During the remainder of the semester, however, I lived in a shared apartment that though moderate in size provided ample space for me and my roommate to follow independent meal and sleep schedules, though more often than not we dined together, studied simultaneously, etc. as the space certainly permitted that too. I chose to have a roommate assigned at random, but "random" frankly seems a crude term to apply to something so well aligned—whatever their methods of matching may be, the CEA staff gave me an *excellent* pairing and thus a great new friendship in the process.

I did not have to consult with CEA to address personal health issues during my semester, though while accompanying a classmate on her hospital visit I was taken aback by the lack of communication given by the hospital staff and challenged by the depth of the language barrier in that setting. In comparison to my campus in the States in rather peaceful and uneventful Vermont, Paris (unsurprisingly) requires much more concern for one's safety; thankfully, CEA did equip students well at the semester's start with tips and recommendations for their safety. I was a victim of pickpocketing once and a victim of *attempted* robbery on a separate occasion; despite financial losses and emotional impact, my physical safety was, thankfully, not threatened in either instance.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Jared, we are delighted that you had such a memorable study abroad experience in Paris. Thank you for providing a thorough account of your time abroad as well as tips for other students to make the most of their time studying abroad.

Emily Deanne

J'aime CEA Paris

My abroad travels were certainly worthwhile. I feel as though after living abroad I have a new found confidence as well as a changed global outlook on the world. I found internship opportunities through CEA which complemented my experience as well as my resume. One of my favorite aspects of CEA was their cultural engagement program, where the staff lead excursions to connect students with the Parisien community.

CEA staff made every effort to assist students in connecting with local culture. They did this through arranging housing among other french persons, arranging guest speakers, and arranging a variety of day trips and walking excursions within the city throughout the semester.

I felt as though the intensity and rigor of the courses I took did not align with that of the program descriptions I had initially looked at when applying for this program. I actually found the courses to me more intense than anticipated accompanied with more homework, research papers, and presentations than I though. However, the resources provided were beneficial to my courses and the cultural engagement requirement for each class (where students are required to participate in an excursion that pertains to the course material) I found to heighten my comprehension of course content as well as my interest in the Parisian culture. Additionally CEA Paris has an impressive range of professors with real world experience within their disciplines.

The administration here at CEA made every effort to acclimate their students. They did this through formal orientation programs and out of the classroom activities.

Living abroad can be a tricky situation however my living arrangements were very comfortable. In the event of a leaky pipe or power outage, the staff at CEA always responded immediately and helped my roommates and I to fix the situation.

Meal plan was not an option for this program. Paris however has an amazing range of things to eat so I never went hungry. Additionally, upon arrival, CEA staff coached us on where to shop for food, how to read labels, and inexpensive dining options that aligned with our student budgets.

I never personally had to see a doctor or go to urgent care while abroad. However my roommates did, and CEA staff were accommodating, discreet, and took the time to follow up multiple times with the students.

I never felt unsafe once while studying in Paris. My housing was in a quite neighborhood, people on the metro were civil, and because I was aware of my surroundings and tried my best to not stick out I was perfectly fine.

Though Paris is an expensive city to live in (like any major city) I found it manageable finance wise to eat, shop, and travel.

Every professor and staff member encouraged me to use and practice my french while abroad. I definitely think my language skills have improved since going abroad.

If i had to do it over again I 100% would. I learned so many practical life lessons that I would have never learned in a traditional classroom. The only thing I would do differently would be to sign up for an entire year abroad!

The only thing I wish I knew before this program would be the level of difficulty of some classes. For me, I knew only a small amount of french before going abroad and the level of french that I took abroad was probably too hard for me (but I managed :) ).

One way this program could be improved would be through the student body. I found that there was very little variety of students that attended the program. With the exception of two Russian students the program was made up of mostly white Americans girls, and only a few males. Additionally, I wish there was a gym associated with the center! It would have been nice to have a place to workout or some sort of fitness classes provided as a bonding experience between the students.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for the thoughtful review and recommendations Emily! Best of luck and please stop in to say hello should you find yourself back in Paris.

Mattie

Intensive French Language program in Paris through CEA

I decided to study abroad for one academic year in Paris through CEA during the '16-'17 year, and absolutely loved it. It was by far my favorite year out of all four years of my college experience and I cannot wait to return to Europe in the near future. All of my advisors through CEA were amazing, and helped me with everything I had ever needed when I was abroad. The education I received was great, though there was some confusion with what classes were available and which were not prior to my enrollment for the second semester. I was placed with wonderful host parents, though they were not always at home and were a bit more conventional, but I learned a lot from them in the end. I hope to continue keeping in touch with CEA one way or another and would highly recommend studying abroad with them!

Perhaps a more updated list of classes for the program? I'm still unsure of how things got turned around with my second semester classes but other than that, there is nothing I can think of to improve.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Mattie, we are thrilled you “loved” studying abroad with us for a full academic year. Thank you for taking time to provide suggestions. We are always looking to improve.

Kayla

My Semester Abroad

I had an amazing time studying with CEA in Paris. The onsite staff was so supportive, the classes were interesting, and I made AMAZING friends. We went on really fun excursions, and I loved being able to travel. I was nervous about how I would fit in with other students, but I made friends quickly. I was also nervous about how classes would go, but everything turned out great. Again, the classes were really interesting, and I loved my professors. They were all so kind and helpful. I would definitely go abroad with CEA again.

Response from CEA Study Abroad

Kayla, thank you for studying abroad with us in Paris. Your experience and insights will help future students in selecting where to study abroad.

Erin

Great First Study Abroad Experience

As someone who has never gone abroad before, CEA made the whole process much easier and less daunting. Luckily, I was able to get a travel voucher that covered my roundtrip flight, making the overall cost more manageable (plus I was able to arrive two months early to do some traveling!). The US staff was wonderful leading up to departure and I absolutely adored everyone at the Paris location--if you are feeling unsure or have literally any question ever (what's the best bakery, how do I use the metro, etc.) they will help you!

I lived with a host family in a large apartment in the 11th arrondissement, which was super cool, but be warned that it may be more difficult to hang with friends when you are with a host family!

My advice is to NOT take a whole bunch of classes. Typically, I take 6 classes a semester at home and manage, but I was only taking 4 while abroad and was overwhelmed, especially during midterms/finals. Don't let school get in the way of learning, as Paris has much to teach.

Overall, the excursions were AWESOME, there is always something to do in Paris, and I met a ton of people that I know will be a big part of my life for years to come. Thank you for everything CEA.

More interaction with locals and French students would be great. The students at Sorbonne/Diderot have more opportunities to meet locals, but us at CEA have a harder time. Otherwise, don't change a thing.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Erin, we are thrilled you love Paris as much as we do! Thank you so much for the perceptive evaluation on our study abroad program.

Read my full story
Dana

An Immersive Program With Attentive Staff!

CEA made the logistics of studying abroad easy and accessible. Their thorough attention to detail (like helping us through the student visa process, ensuring that our first few days in a new country weren't terrifying, and being there to solve any problem throughout the semester) let me feel safe and free to enjoy my time abroad.

Along with courses tailored to French culture and the city of Paris, CEA also included numerous excursions to city events and trips around the country. These experiences let me understand and enjoy France in a way I'm incredibly grateful for.

The staff at the CEA Paris Center were absolutely lovely! They truly made Paris feel like a home to me, and their interest in our lives/experience made it feel like more than just a school campus.

I so recommend studying abroad with CEA, because you won't be able to craft such an immersive and breathtaking experience anyway else.

Possibly by housing some CEA students closer together, as we were evenly spread across the city.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

We are grateful for your comprehensive review, Dana. Thank you and we hope to see you back for a visit sometime.

Leah

CEA Study Abroad Fall 2017

I knew I wanted to study abroad in Paris and CEA was the right fit for me! I was immediately drawn to the fun courses they offered - my photography and oenology courses were actually as fun as how cool they sounded in the beginning. CEA takes care of all the stuff you don't want to like housing and maintenance, and they also give us tips and advice along the way. I would recommend becoming a MOJO blogger/photographer for a great way to document your time abroad while building your resume. The excursions included in the program, especially Honfleur, was super fun to hang out with the other CEA kids in Paris!

I would make sure there is more inclusion with French local students - I was able to mingle with other peers since I was in the Global Competence class, but I would expand on this.
Mika

Life Changer

My experience studying abroad shaped the way I want to live my life. The professors were personable and adaptable, the housing was clean and accessible, and the country was inclusive. Because of this experience, I decided to continue my education and am now in a master’s program for Intercultural Communication. I can’t wait to live in France and I know I have support when I return from the friends I have made there and staff I have met.

This program provided all of the necessities and gave cultural and diversity training, which was amazing to be apart of. It would be beneficial to continue the training to last more than just a day, as I’ve learned a ton from it.