CEA Study Abroad in Prague, Czech Republic

CEA Study Abroad in Prague, Czech Republic

Study in the heart of ancient Bohemia: Prague! With a growing economy, vibrant art and music scenes, an influential intellectual community, and architectural styles ranging from Gothic to Baroque to Art Nouveau, Prague is an ideal setting in which to explore Czech culture. Study abroad in the city that Mozart, Kundera, Rilke, and Einstein called home… and discover the magic of Prague for yourself.

CEA students choose from more than 100 courses, taught in English, across five schools at the Anglo-American University (AAU), Prague’s oldest private university. Subject areas include communication, business, Political Science, and more.

In addition to study abroad, the CEA Internships Abroad, provides hands-on, practical experience in a specific career field.

Interested? Click the “Visit Site” button to learn what’s waiting for you!

• Hands-on learning experiences that transform the world abroad into a classroom
  • Personalized Pre-Departure Advising, including visa and immigration support
  • Courses offered in English that fulfill major and general graduation requirements
  • Comprehensive on-site support, including 24/7 emergency phone
Photography
Social Sciences
Sociology
High School Diploma
Included: Personalized Pre-departure Advising; Tuition & Registration; Travel Medical Insurance; On-site Orientation; Housing; Volunteer Opportunities; On-site Staff Support; Excursions and Cultural Engagement; Host Institution Services & Amenities and more. Scholarships available.
Prague

Dalia
Prague
University of California- Santa Cruz

Amazing Experience Abroad

CEA does a great job with their program! Everything was always so organized and it was really easy to contact them or get help if we needed. Our housing was in some of the best locations in Prague, which made the whole experience that much better. There were excursions we could sign up for which were really fun and it was extremely easy to travel. Going to school with people from all over the world was such an amazing opportunity and it was so fun to get to know people from such different backgrounds. If I could study abroad again I definitely would and I had some of the best four months of my life here.

Overall this program was great but I wish CEA had a few more activities students could sign up for, like trips out of the Czech Republic.

Annie
Wichita, Kansas
Concordia University- Nebraska

Beautiful City and Awesome Program

I picked CEA's Prague program because of the journalism classes that were offered through Anglo American University. My home university is small so the journalism classes are very limited. At AAU, I got to take classes that I was really interested in like Travel Writing and Cultural Journalism.
CEA offered excursions to Cesky Krumlov and Karlovy Vary, two cities within the Czech Republic, and one big excursion to Krakow, Poland. The Krakow trip was well organized and they made sure to give us an experience that showed us all different parts of the city. The trip included a visit to Auschwitz, which was an extremely powerful and important place to experience to really understand that part of history.

As for the city, Prague was the most wonderful place to live for four months. There is so much to do and it feels a lot smaller than it actually is. There are tons of cultural sites, eclectic restaurants, parks and nature areas, and there is always something new to try. Their public transportation is extremely well-organized so it's easy to find your way around. CEA provides a transportation pass so you never have to pay to step on a tram or subway! Living there for four months means getting to experience everything during some of the non-tourist times, and that's a huge advantage because so many people visit Prague when the weather is nice. Also, Prague was a very safe city. I never felt unsafe. Of course, you have to be smart in any big city but I think Prague is a place where you can relax a bit.
Since Prague is a big city in the middle of Europe, traveling to other countries is so easy. It takes about 10 minutes to get through airport security and the airport is small enough that it's easy to navigate. There are flights, trains, and buses to anywhere in Europe and the prices are super reasonable.
The currency conversion makes Prague a cheap, cheap place to live. You can get nice meals for $10 and beer for a dollar! The city is becoming more and more diverse so you can find any food you could want!
Prague became home quickly for me and I would go back in an instant if I could. I fell in love with the beauty of the architecture, nature, and lifestyles. I promise that you will love it!

While CEA offered lots of cultural activities in Prague, most of them conflicted with my class schedule so I was not able to attend. Since they're included with the program it would've been nice to take advantage of those opportunities!

Kirby
Maryland
Hofstra University

Awesome Program

Prague is an amazing city in an even better country, and CEA was the best program to come here through. They were always around and ready to help with anything we may need--even if it was just where to buy any travel necessities. I was extremely happy with my housing that CEA provided, and was lucky enough to be placed only a five minute walking-distance from school. My favorite part of the program was that CEA set up a variety of activities and trips that we could choose to participate in if we wish, which allowed us to experience things that we may not have if they weren't offered as a part of the program. I would recommend the CEA program in Prague to everyone (Prague is the best city I've been to among the many I was lucky enough to travel to during this semester), but if Prague isn't for you, I would recommend any other program provided by CEA since they were so helpful and friendly.

Jenny
Lino Lakes, Minnesota
University of North Dakota

Breathtakingly Beautiful Prague

I loved living in Prague 9 months, it was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. Loved my roommate and the apartment that CEA provided for us. The czech language is EXTREMELY difficult but most people speak at least some English. The city is full of hidden gems and cool bars and clubs. It also has a number of parks and a multitude of beautiful buildings, churches and lots of history to learn about. It's also located so conveniently in Europe that it makes it so easy to travel a lot! The beer here is seriously delicious and SO cheap! After spending only a short time here it's hard to leave without a new appreciation for beer. Czech cuisine is not necessarily as impressive as say Italian or French but it is extremely filling and also cheap. It's amazing that Czech people can stay so thin!

I would add more excursion to other locations outside of Prague. Would have loved to go hiking!

Emily
Cleveland
University of Michigan

Great experience in Prague

I enjoyed studying in Prague and I think that CEA is a great third party to go through. They offer lots of activities and trips for free (not every program does so this was a wonderful bonus) and the office is quick to help with complications from stolen phones to trouble with sending packages. Our apartment was also very nice and clean. Overall, I think that CEA did a nice job helping us get acclimated but did not overstep their boundaries.

Taylor
Orange, California
Chapman University

Prague CEA Review

My experience and time in the Czech Republic was well spent. CEA was great at giving information on different places I could eat because I have dietary restrictions, and they send out a weekly newsletter that informs us on things happening in town. I did a lot of traveling while I was in Europe as well. Living in Prague was great, because getting around Europe was especially easy due to the central location of the Czech Republic. But honestly, my favorite city I have been this semester is Prague. There is so much to do here regardless of the weather or time of day. The museums are incredible, and if you're more into the outdoorsy things; you can go on a rowboat, a hike, or just lounge in one of Prague's beautiful parks. There is so much history in this country, especially in Prague, and I wouldn't trade these past few months for anything.

A lot of the excursions that the program provided were not well-organized. They were quite dysfunctional, in fact. I still had a great time, but that is definitely an area where this provider could improve.

Ethan
Lynchburg, Virginia
Liberty University

I Left a Piece of My Heart in Prague

Oh Prague, after coming back to the states all I could talk about was this beautiful city. Prague is all the fast paced excitement of a city, but yet small and cute. Studying in Prague with CEA was one of the best experiences of my life. The onsite staff at CEA were very friendly, professional, and well equipped to help the students. Whether helping them with housing concerns, academically, health issues, safety (Paris attacks) or even just tips about the city. CEA not only helps assist you but also makes sure you are having a good time by taking you on all sorts of excursions such a 3-day trip to Krakow Poland. Oh and I almost forgot, CEA also provides you with an open card which gives you complete access to trams, buses, and the metro for free. This also includes the bus to the airport which was very useful when traveling around Europe!

Prague itself is a wonderful city to study abroad with an abundance of activities for students. Prague has beautiful architecture such as the Charles Bridge, the astronomical clock in old town square, and even a few castles. Prague doesn't use the euro which also means it’s cheaper for students, especially when it comes to yummy food! Prague also has one of the best night life scenes in the world, the city is filled with unique restaurants and bars.

I would recommend Prague to everyone as a location to study abroad. When I was abroad I went to many cities such as Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Copenhagen, and none of them came close to being as special as Prague. Now that I am back in the states, all I can think about is when will I be going back to Prague! It's a risk going to study abroad in Prague in the sense that you will never want to leave and the city will steal a piece of your heart.
Go Study abroad in Prague! Best experience of my life!

-Ethan Spadino

This question is always hard when giving a review of something that sits so perfect in your memory.

More classes at the University (AAU) would be nice, however they do have a full curriculum so you cannot complain too much.

Merlin
Amherst, Massachusetts
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Where I fell in love with life

To say it was an amazing experience would not do my memories justice. The friendly staff, the cafes, the candy, the vino & pivo, the goulash, the farmers markets, the soccer matches at the beer gardens, the classes & teachers, the trains, the art, the graffiti, the excursions, the weekend trips, the bridge, the clock tower, old town center, the peacocks in the park. There was not a moment I wasn't in love.

The only thing I can think of would be to have more classes/variety of classes available!

Sarah
Dana Point, California
California Baptist University

Prague will capture you instantly...

Prague, what a city! Living within this enchanting city will forever have my heart. It consumed my entire self every single day as I walked along the cobble stone streets to my classes or explored its ever so breathtaking corners. Praha (Prague in Czech, is a city that will capture every part of you and will forever leave you wanting more of what it has to offer. It embodies an incredible amount of culture, history, beauty, lively festivities, mouthwatering food, and unique locals that would love to share a cup of coffee with you in one of the cities homey coffee shops. You will NOT be disappointed in studying abroad here or even traveling to. I promise you that this city and the country of the Czech Republic will broaden your horizon in more ways than you could ever imagine.

Grace
Tucson, Arizona
University of Arizona

Prague Felt Like Home

The summer that I spent in Prague changed my life. I took two amazing classes that were both challenging and rewarding. I traveled to several other countries on weekends. I made friendships that will last a lifetime and I learned so much about myself.
After only a few days, I knew that it was going to be hard to leave Prague. Not only is it a beautiful city that you must see to believe, it also has a very charming and familiar environment that feels like home.
I absolutely loved my apartment, which was a short walk from a metro station, a grocery store, and several cafes. One of my best memories from Prague is paddle-boating with my roommates down the Vltava River, then going to a beer garden to watch a soccer game. There is so much to do and the possibilities are endless!

Ronnie
Fort Collins, Colorado
Colorado State University

Getting Lost in Prague

My first night in Prague was quite interesting. We began exploring the city, but didn't bring a map with us besides what was on our cell phones. We ended up taking the wrong turn and going in the complete wrong directions from our home. We walked over 13 miles that first night in Prague, but it was never boring. Getting to see more and more of the city became an addiction that never subsided. I loved lost became a feeling I searched for and Prague gave me plenty of moments I will never forget.

They place you in apartments that are scattered throughout the city of Prague. This is an awesome aspect of this program because it allows the students to interact and get a different view of the city. However, I didn't know anything about Prague being broken into different districts and having this information would have helped me to more quickly learn how to navigate Prague.

That being said this program is very well organized and will help you with anything you need. They did an impeccable job of getting me from the airport to my apartment on the day I arrived. And from their the support never stopped. They gave us a tour of the city, showed us where the grocery store was, and how to get to school.

Leah
San Francisco, CA
Saint Lawrence University

A Storybook Town

Prague is a storybook come to life, and it is an ideal place for a college student. Beer is cheaper than water, the night life is amazing and there is so much history and culture. Prague has a great reputation as place to visit, but is also an ideal jumping off city for visiting other places in Eastern Europe that you would have never thought of visiting. One of my favorite adventures was a road trip that my roommate and I took down to Czeky Krumlov, an old medieval town and castle, and then traveling down to Salzburg and Vienna in Austria. There are so many amazing places I visited, that I would have never thought of visiting prior to living in Eastern Europe.

Melanie
New Jersey
Richard Stockton College of New Jersey

Prague is wonderful!

Prague, Czech Republic is a clean, safe and FUN city! I had a fantastic time exploring Prague's restaurants, museums, and nightlife and enjoyed traveling to other cities in Europe as well. I had a larger apartment than I expected and felt that it was in a clean and very safe neighborhood. Czech people are friendly and it's super easy to make new friends abroad. The college in Prague, AAU, had a lot of international students and classes at AAU transferred to my home institution without any problems! I would highly recommend going with CEA. The CEA staff members were very helpful and provided weekly itineraries of current events in Prague. Additionally, they were always available to answer any questions and made the process of getting acclimated to Prague a breeze!

Allyson
Baltimore, Maryland
University of Maryland

Go Czech out Prague!

I very much enjoyed my study abroad experience with CEA in Prague. I studied in Prague over the summer, and the city is just amazing! Prague is incredibly beautiful and the Czech people are extremely understanding and patience when dealing with non- Czech speakers ( trust me). My day to day activities in Prague included shopping at the farmer's market a block away from my apartment, taking lovely walks around Old Town Square, and finishing the night at one of Prague's very lively clubs. Prague has a great night life and amazing bars! Plus, the beer is super cheap! Just make sure you always have your metro pass with you because you never know when the metro police will be lurking in the station!

I wish the program had more travel opportunities outside of the Czech Republic.

Nena
Richmond, Virginia
Christopher Newport University

Independence and Fun in a Growing City

I searched forever to find the right program for me, Studying abroad has been my dream for years so I was careful. I knew I wanted a summer program but I didn't like the idea of only going for a few weeks. And then I came across CEA and Prague. I could enroll for eight weeks and could earn up to nine credits. All in all my experience was unreal, Prague is an up and coming place, there's tons of nightlife and history and always something to do. CEA set me up with an apartment close to the center of the city, a ten minute ride and twenty minute walk from our school. The apartment was clean and simple, not luxury by any means but good for students. I shared the apartment with five other girls, each of us sharing room. We also had a kitchen/living room, two bathrooms, and a washing machine (don't expect a dryer, they're not around much in Europe.) We also shared the building with two apartments of guys in CEA.

In terms of classes I had a two week intensive course and then two six week courses. The two week one can be a bit much, four days a week, but none of my classes were too difficult. I took International Journalism, Digital Photography, and Holocaust and the Jewish Cultural Destruction. You are enrolled in the Anglo American University just like any other student, most of my classmates were in CEA as well but we did have some scattered international students. The teachers were flexible about missing classes, they all knew why we were there.

For free time I managed to take four trips during my eight weeks, to Vienna, Krakow, Berlin, and Amsterdam. Prague is really centrally located so its easy to accomplish some trips. Vienna and Berlin were each less than a four hour bus ride away. I also had friends who took trips to Budapest, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, even Dublin. Those ones are a bit more ambitious but are still doable. But there's plenty to do in Prague itself. If you like going out this is a great choice, we went to clubs and bars at least three or four times a week. The beers are cheap as can be and the clubs are usually amazing. The public transport at night also makes it was to get back to your place. During the day you can check out the Prague Castle, Old Town Square, the Funicular, the fortress, Charles Bridge, the lock bridge, the John Lennon Wall, the many musuems, honestly you don't get bored in Prague. CEA also facilities excursions in the city and out. They take you on trips to a monastery up an enormous hill that is also a brewery. They also offer trips to several of the smaller towns in the Czech Republic which are stunning and a weekend trip to Berlin.

Drawbacks and words or warning? Not many honestly. I truly enjoyed my time. Let's see if you come for the summer pack some warm stuff anyways. We had so much rain those first few weeks and we were all freezing. The food is good but simple and hearty so if you're looking for a food based trip you might want to look around more. Czech is a really hard language so don't elect to pick it up easily, it's not really a problem since everyone speaks English but take note of that.

I high recommend this trip and program. I only did the summer but I'm sure a semester would be equally amazing. Prague is a lively, safe, and vibrant city full of things to do and learn. CEA takes good care of its students so you can enjoy your independence but still have a safety net if you're nervous. I wish every day I could go back and I'm sure you will too!

I would say that the apartments could sometimes be problematic, we had some electrical issue but they were easily solved.

Lacey
George Fox University

Great Program in a Great City

I'm not much of a party kid and I didn't go abroad to simply avoid US alcohol laws (I'm over 21 anyways) but I found Prague to be a fantastic city. The markets are stellar, the coffee was exceptional and the food is on point. There was plenty to do both during the day/at night. CEA was a great program to go through because they provide optional excursions that were so fun and so interesting, but they probably weren't things I would have been able to find on my own. Not to mention the staff there was awesome and super helpful.
Also the school we partnered with provided some really well taught courses that were challenging at times but in relevant ways. I truly felt like I was learning and enjoying myself in one of the most beautiful cities on Earth.

For me I think it would have been great if the program had offered smaller, local activities such as a visit to a favorite coffee shop each month that could hold a maximum of 5 people, or things that exposed students to more everyday aspects of city life. The excursions were great, but they were definitely not everyday activities (i.e. bobsledding).

Abbey
Tuscaloosa, AL
University of Alabama- Birmingham

Amazing experience with CEA in Prague

Loved everything about Prague and CEA. Accommodations were more than ideal, and staff was always happy to assist with anything. I lived in a residential neighborhood among locals which made it easy to immerse myself into the culture and feel a sense of community. Absolutely recommend studying abroad with CEA in Prague!

No improvements needed.

KB07
Phoenix, AZ
University of Arizona

Best City, Best Program

CEA Prague is an awesome program! I had such an amazing time and met some of my best friends. Prague is the most beautiful city- like living in a fairy tale. It is also the MOST fun city with awesome night life and food and people.

AAU is not only a great school, but you get to be a part of history by studying there, as it was the first free institution established after communism. The teachers are from all over the world and you can really learn a lot from them and their personal perspectives.

The CEA housing and staff are amazing. They are will to go out of their way for you and are always there to help. The housing is close to the center of town and it really spacious for apartments in Europe. It is definitely different then living in the US, but thats part of the experience! Overall, going to Prague with CEA was one of the best decisions I could have made.

Bigger Showers! But what are you going to do? You are in Europe!

Conor
Hamden, CT
Quinnipiac University

AMAZING

Amazing city, with CEA providing great help and support every step of the way. You will not have more fun anywhere in Europe than in Prague. The CEA staff can help you with day to day tips such as which tram to take or recommend a place of entertainment. They also provide great trips such as Plzen, Kutna Hora, and Krakow.

It was pretty damn close to perfect, but they made us leave after only four months

With 20 destinations across 11 countries, CEA Study Abroad offers an ideal balance of academics, internships, and adventure to more than 4,000 students each year. Find out where learning abroad can take you by clicking the “Visit Site” button and exploring our many options.

Why