Barcelona International Youth Science Program

BIYSC is a two-week international excellence program that offer the participants a world class experience by working in research projects, attending scientific lectures and debates, and enjoying the company of peers from around the world that share their same passion: SCIENCE!
We look for 100 students from 16 to 18 years old with a genuine interest for scientific research. Are you in?

Research projects:

New treatments for opioid addicts: a drug discovery challenge
Taking a closer look at DNA: using sequencing to explore evolution and biodiversity
Nutrition and Health International Youth Challenge
Instructive biomaterials for regenerative medicine
Drosophila melanogaster: a model to study human disease
Artificial photosynthesis
Uncovering the hidden diversity of the oceans
Cosmic rays detection, astrophysics at your fingertips
It's a Quantum World!
Neuro-robotics as a tool to understand the brain

• Science, research, international, excellence, Barcelona

Anna

When Science is more than Science

BIYSC is more than a science project experience and more than a meeting with young people from all over the world… BIYSC puts this together and adds ethics thinking and debates, presentations, fun activities to get to know more and enjoy with the other participants...
I enjoyed a lot the laboratory experience and the feeling of familiarity with the other participants, researchers and members of the STAFF. I was greatly surprised to discover and thinking over all the ethics that science includes and I enjoyed all the activities and surprises that BIYSC presented. It was too short.
I totally recommend it!

It's not such a problem, but I wish there had been air conditioning on the first place we stayed.
Jordi

BIYSC 2017

BIYSC has been the most encouraging program I have ever been to. I have been able to learn science by working with scientists that were developing a research project in prestigious centres. BIYSC has influenced me in deciding which degree I will study, as I could appreciate how scientific investigation truly is. I have met many friendly people, with whom I still keep in touch, and I have attended to scientific lectures and interesting debates where anyone could give his own opinion, all this surrounded by researchers and other people with a clear interest in science.

It would be very interesting to widen the variety of projects, including, for example, an ecology project and a geology project, and more biology- and technology-related projects.
Ha

Sience Immersion

I have a perception on what science is, as an abstract concept. But BIYSC is the closest I have been to actually "living" science. By meeting scientists, by doing research, by making friends, by talking, playing and learning. It is hard to explain unless you live it, but within the climate of a summer camp with new friends, after a few days of attending lectures and working hands on in a project, you feel part of the scientific community and it is amazing.
10/10 would recommend
Also they have an terrific Room Scape activity

It would be so awesome if it had a mathematics related project.
Leonoor

BIYSC 2017

BIYSC has been an incredibly eye-opening, inspiring and exciting experience. I have met many new people and allowed myself to bond with these people over a common interest in science. The program has given me confidence that a career in science is an opportunity, and that the study fields of science go way beyond whats written in our high school books. The program has challenged me to think about ethical issues regarding science, feasibility of scientific solutions and much more.

A bit more free time and responsibility for the students.
Leonoor

Barcelona International Youth Science Challenge 2017

The food throughout the first part of the program at the university was not ideal, though this is obviously a minor issue. More important, however, would be the suggestion to give the students just a little more free time outside of the university. I can understand that staff members must be present but for 16-18 year olds the program could allow for a bit more responsibility at the students themselves.
Helena Nereida

Unforgettable and excellent scientific experience :)

I luckily had the opportunity to experience the BIYSC as a student of the robotics programme and as a Staff member, two very different points of view from which I personally fell in total love with the programme. The BIYSC opens the world of scientific and technological excellence and professional research to young people and, in my opinion, it manages to do it in the most enjoyable way. Dozens of passionate students from all around the world meet in the sunny Barcelona to share their love and devotion to Science and life knowledge. In a few hours from the start of the programme, their participants become a family.

What I most love about the programme is its sweet essence. For me, the BIYSC means afternoons playing the guitar and singing in a chorus all together, nights discussing philosophical theories for our current politics with people who come from a far country, hours of deep conversation with your mates about issues related to your interest field, intense basketball matches before the dinnertime… and all of this while you’re taking part of an advanced project in one of the world’s best Science research centres.

During my experience as a student and thanks to my wise teachers and staff tutors, I discovered what Science really was and I found a real scientist and technology lover in me. I made very interesting and important friends, and right now, I am happy to see some of them when meetings are possible for us: I truly think that these friendships will last forever! As a Staff member, I enjoyed a lot the experience because we all tutors were fond of the students and it was so lovely to take care of them witnessing their progress in the laboratories. I experienced many unique and heartwarming moments with them and I can sincerely say that I learned a lot from the commitment and enthusiasm of the participants.

BIYSC teaches you about Science, Technology but also about life. The programme is doubtlessly the most rewarding and unforgettable experience any young boy or girl could think of.

Ha

Science Immersion

10/10 would recommend
Also they have an terrific Room Scape activity

About Barcelona International Youth Science Challenge

BIYSC is a two-week international excellence program that has the aim to offer the participants a world class experience by working in research projects, attending scientific lectures and debates, and enjoying the company of peers from around the...