IFR: Spain – Cova Gran Field School

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Institute for Field Research.

Cova Gran de Santa Linya is a rock shelter located at the seam between the first range of the southern Pyrenees and the Ebro Basin. The cave is rich with evidence of human occupation dating to at least as early as 50,000 years ago and continuing through the Neolithic and Bronze Ages. Investigation at the site will allow us to recognize both the evolution of hunting and gathering strategies in the region and recognize important differences between Neanderthals and Modern human adaptive strategies. For more information visit the field school website.

Lauren

IFR - Cova Gran de Santa Linya

The Cova Gran field school was such an amazing experience for me. I originally selected this program because of its involvement in ongoing Paleolithic research, especially in regards to late Neanderthal culture, which has always been one of my primary interests. I learned a lot more than I feel I ever could have in a traditional classroom setting. I learned so much regarding archaeological field methods, as well as how to interact with others in a field setting. I first chose this program in order to evaluate which direction of Anthropology I wanted to pursue; I had never before participated in an excavation, so this was entirely new to me. The staff was so helpful in explaining everything and offering guidance to those of us who were fairly new to the discipline of archaeology. We were involved directly with the project, and consulted along every step so I really felt included and engaged during the duration of the project. If something didn't quite make sense, it was explained and demonstrated in more depth to ensure that all students had a well-rounded grasp on what we were doing and why we were doing it. All of the students and staff were amazing individuals, and I really feel like I made some lifelong friendships that will continue to benefit me in the future. I had also never left the USA prior to this trip, so it really opened up a whole new perspective about the rest of the world. I still use what I learned during this program in my regular life, and I am going on to pursue a MSc in Archaeology; part of me attributes this to the IFR program as it really convinced me that pursuing archaeology successfully was something that I was capable of. The community where we stayed was amazing as well, as Sant Llorenc is a small Catalonian village lying on the banks of Rio Segre - the landscape is breathtaking. If you're interested in outdoor activities, this place is exceptional for that! On free days, myself and other students would spend our time hiking, swimming, and kayaking around the local area. Sant Llorenc is relatively close to Lleida as well, offering us the chance to take day trips to explore other parts of Catalonia and really indulge ourselves in the local culture. I have recommended this program to a number of my friends and colleagues, and I have nothing negative to say about my experience. If you're considering this program, I highly recommend it! I treasure all of my memories from the field school and really would like to return in the future, if I had the opportunity.

This program was so well-rounded I feel it would be a disservice to say it needs improvement. I honestly have no complaints about the program.

Location:
Barcelona–El Prat
( BCN )
Palma De Mallorca
( PMI )

Come to Spain for its beautiful beaches, variety of culture, and amazing food and wine, specifically, tapas! Each region shines with its own individuality and reflects Spain's remarkable history as one of the world's strongest empires. Get to know the country famous for fiestas, siestas, toros, tapas, and vino!

About Institute for Field Research

The Institute for Field Research (IFR) was created in March 2011 by a group of leading academic archaeologists. Operating as an independent, nonprofit academic organization has allowed us to break down traditional institutional barriers and deliver...