• Spain
    • Valencia
Term
Academic Year, Fall, Spring, Summer
Biology Business Chemistry Cultural Studies Engineering Literature Mathematics Physics

Program Details

Apartment Dormitory Host Family
Jan 17, 2020
Dec 31, 2021
7 travelers are looking at this program

Live and learn in Valencia, one of Spain’s most cosmopolitan cities, while focusing your studies on Spanish language/culture and business. Its location on the Mediterranean coast and status as one of Spain’s most cultural and cutting-edge cities means that you can attend stimulating courses at one of Spain’s most beautiful and sustainable campuses, round off your day by visiting museums or performing arts venues, and grab a casual or upscale meal at one of the cities internationally-renowned eateries.

You will have the opportunity to study the Spanish language and the intricacies of Spanish culture, history, and society through a wide selection of academic courses, supplemented by included field trips.

Program Highlights

• Live in a cutting-edge city rich in culture—with picturesque museums, historic monuments, modern performing arts venues, and the City of Arts and Sciences, a unique complex devoted to scientific and cultural dissemination.
  • Complete up to three semesters of university Spanish language coursework in only one semester or focus on STEM prerequisites.
  • Explore the third-largest city in Spain on Valencia’s 120+ kilometers of bike lanes and garden causeways that connect this bike-friendly city’s most important and desirable areas.
  • Enjoy all that this coastal city has to offer, from miles of beaches, to seaside promenades, ocean sports, and access to l’Oceanographic, the largest marine center in Europe

USAC Scholarships

USAC Scholarships and Financial Aid

USAC awards over $2 million in scholarships and discounts each year to assist students with their study abroad expenses.

$500 - $1,000

• 9-10 rating 88.89%
  • 7-8 rating 11.11%
Rachel

Valencia Fall 2021

I would highly recommend going to Valencia with USAC. It was my favorite experience I’ve had in my life so far! The program providers made me feel very welcomed in Spain, and the city of Valencia was so beautiful and fun to explore! I will definitely be going back to Valencia/ Spain in the future. It was a convenient location on the Mediterranean Sea and very easy to travel by train or plane. I met so many great people on this study abroad trip and I would do it over again if I ever got the chance!

Take everything in; the time goes so quickly! You will not regret choosing to study in Valencia.
William

Exactly what I was looking for

I did a lot of traveling with my friends in the program, all of whom were amazing people. Valencia is a fantastic location and the on-site staff (3 employees of USAC) were amazing as well. They do a good job making you feel safe but giving you enough freedom to do you. I really matured as a citizen of the world in this program. USAC is also just about the most affordable abroad program I found anywhere. Everything about my time abroad was incredible and I am definitely recommending USAC to anyone who wants to study abroad.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I ate squid-ink paella in Barcelona (part of the Barcelona tour that starts the program). It was jet black and surprisingly tasty!
Rebecca

Spanish Adventures

This experience has been the best decision I have ever made. I made friends and memories that will last a lifetime. My perspective on so many things has changed and I grew as a person in my time here in Valencia. There are so many amazing opportunities to have fun and go out of your comfort zone while abroad. I recommend everyone to do it because it will change you for the better. I am so grateful that I was able to have this journey. For other students, I would suggest to stay with a home stay because it was my way of having a little family here in Spain so I didn't get homesick, I just had a new family! Also, take every chance you get to put yourself out there!

Candace

USAC's Impactful Program Helped Me Feel Confident

From hands-on teaching to beautiful housing right in the center of Valencia, USAC was truly the perfect program to study abroad with. I studied in Valencia, Spain through USAC in 2-18.

What helped me the most was the kindness of everyone here. The program directors were so caring, passionate, and helpful- during a process that, although I exciting, I was very stressed about.

If you are looking for a program that will push you to be your best self and to stress less, USAC uses incredible day-trips, activities, and new friends to push and excite you into your new home.

Every student at the end of our time in Valencia told me that they felt much more excited and confident about themselves and their own lives. I left Valencia with a sense of empowerment, excitement for life, and confidence in my ability to overcome.

USAC cares about its' students to a degree that they are willing to go the extra mile to make sure they feel safe and excited to study abroad, and that's the most important thing a program can offer.

Don't resist being cracked open by the unexpected. You are not going to be able to control everything- and you shouldn't expect yourself to. Wake up every day on this experience and ask yourself how you can live it to the fullest. Even with the roadblocks, you will find a way to come out stronger and more excited to live your life than you have felt in all your years.
Emiy

Experience of a Lifetime

As we all know study abroad is a life-changing experience. Through this amazing opportunity I’ve gotten to see so much of the world, especially Spain. I’ve also made lifelong friends with people around the globe and even those back in the US. USAC does a phenomenal job of providing a safe environment, lots of information to prepare you, support systems, contacts to get you involved in the community, and valuable academics. They also provide field trips with the fee that allow you to explore Spain in a constructed, safe, and interesting way. Something I also found useful we’re the many scholarships available through their site, they really do make studying abroad affordable and fun. Spain is a beautiful country filled with wonderful people and a rich history, and I can’t wait to go back someday. I would definitely recommend USAC and Spain to anyone!

I’d recommend immediately getting involved with the community. The advisors there are more than willing to set you up with internships or other opportunities. I picked up two kids from school and walked them home, and it was really cool to see their school system and meet new people in a different way. There’s also a lot of ways to get involved with the school that you’ll be attending. I met my language partner the first month I was there and we became fast friends, showing each other around and teaching each other about our languages and cultures. We’re still friends to this day!
Sara

Spain changed my life for the good

The 5 months that I spent in Spain were incredible and changed my life for the better. I have always been a shy person, scared to venture out of my comfort zone yet with great desire to do so. Traveling to Spain and having to make new friends and live with someone that I did not know was definitely out of my comfort zone. I was extremely nervous before I arrived in Spain. Yet, once I arrived, everything went better than I ever could have imagined. I have USAC to thank for a lot of that. They made the whole process easier and allowed me to fully take advantage of all of the opportunities available to me in Spain. USAC, before you ever arrive in your destination, provides you with a checklist of things to do and when to do them. While you are abroad they are always available for help and organize many cultural immersion activities and recommend many other activities. I participated in many of these activities and I saw myself grow as a person, i met people from all over the world and became a more socialble, open-minded, well-rounded person. While abroad, you will meet so many people from all over and it is an inctedible experience. I still talk everyday to the people that I studued abroad with and we will always have a special bond between us. My Spanish speaking capabilities sky-rocketed in only a few short weeks in Spain! The USAC program set me up with an incredible host mom who I was able to speak spanish with everyday, and she took me to many local events and introduced me to her family. I recommend immersing oneself in the culture as much as possible, it is an amazing character development opportunity. I attended local parties and festivals, language exchanges, sporting events, holiday festivities, and was always out in the city doing something. USAC gave the suggestions for many of these events to attend. I also spent several weekends traveling through other european countries and this is a once in a lifetime experience that you can only acheive by studying abroad. At home in the United States, I could never just take a weekend trip to Paris for a 50 dollar flight. I highly recommend studying abroad and i highly recommend the USAC program.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
There were many nerve-wracking moments when I would go somewhere and although i had spoken spanish countless times before, sometimes I would speak to people and not understand anything at all. Sometimes I would feel really good about my spanish and then I would have these very humbling moments when I would feel bad about my level of Spanish. All I had to do in these moments was ask the person to speak more slowely or clearly to me and I had to realize that it was a good learning experience.
Mason

One Year

I decided to do the yearlong program in València, Spain. I was a bit hesitant at first. But once I started getting into a routine with school and other events it really was an amazing time! The support that the on-site advisors offer is second to none. Sara, Sylvia and Adhara, they were always there to help whenever we needed it. No matter the time of day, and always happy to see you. Exploring the city of Valencia is also one of the most rewarding things to do. Taking tours to learn about they history of the city is fantastic. Especially if you become a tour guide for friends or family that are visiting you! With the university being so close to the beach, it is almost required that you go after class! Especially in the summer time, beginning of the fall semester and the end of the spring one. València is the third biggest city in Spain. But is still offers that small town sort of vibe. I never felt unsafe or at risk no matter the time of day. It is also a great hub for traveling to other counties if that suits you. I for one took advantage of that. A total of 12 counties under my belt, but still ready to see more!

Maybe have some classes that have more international students in them. Or even classes with students from the home university. It kinda felt as if we were in our own bubble in the university.
Maria

Great experience

I have nothing but great memories about my experience in Valencia with USAC! I had a wonderful time! The USAC staff was so kind and helpful, plus our host university was not just beautiful, but also had really good teachers as well. The city was beautiful and filled with so many activities and great places to visit. The housing arrangements were really nice and close to downtown. I loved my time there. It left me with great memories and great friends. 10/10 no question about it.

Add more USAC planned activities!