Spanish Studies Program in Alicante, Spain

Spanish Studies Program in Alicante, Spain

Students that opt for this course of study attend classes alongside other international students for whom Spanish is not their first language.

Designed as a language-intensive program at the intermediate to advanced Spanish levels, you will benefit from a rich language-focused curriculum, taught by professors at Universidad de Alicante (UA). Spanish Studies students in this program also benefit from a unique culture course taught by the Resident Director called Social & Cultural Realities of Spain. This course allows you to synthesize your immersion experience from understanding daily life in the home stay to the historic and sociological foundations of Spain's current social reality.

Europe » Spain » Alicante
Direct Enrollment
Cultural Studies
Spanish

Kayla
Clemson, SC
Clemson University

Spanish Studies Abroad - Alicante Amor

Because I was looking for a shorter program due to a summer job beginning in early May back at my home university, I stumbled upon the Spanish Studies Program with Spanish Studies Abroad in the beautiful city of Alicante, Spain. The city itself is located on the Mediterranean coast and has tons of charming, gorgeous little pueblos just a short train ride away, which allows for not only fulfilling day trips to exotic-looking locations, but also a day trip that fits right into your budget by using your tram pass that takes you to class daily and spending maybe a euro on another train. Your host mom even packs lunch and you can be back in time for dinner! If you don't want to travel, there's a beach just a hop, skip, and a jump from your home stay along with all the shopping you could imagine, bars, and wonderful cafes like my favorite, Canada Cupcake. I did not hear a single complaint about home stays from anyone in my program and I don't have a single one except I wish we lived closer and I could visit now! As for the ladies in the program, my only complaint is the same: that I miss them and wish we could visit! I have grown up in a very creative environment and am a performing arts major, so one difficult adjustment for me was the lack of opportunity to play instruments. These ladies looked high and low for a place where I could express myself musically and when their search came back fruitless, one of the wonderful ladies went so far as to offer her very own guitar to me! I was very impressed with that and though I declined, the sentiment was touching. My professors were equally concerned about our adjustment process and constantly checked in with us to make sure we were well-adjusted and enjoying our time abroad. One professor I had for most of the semester was named Santiago and he was by far the best professor I have ever had. He taught us new vocabulary to express ourselves better, only spoke in Spanish but made sure we understood every single word, and checked in with us one-on-one to discuss our plans for our vacations, weekend trips, and to hear about our adventures. Last but not least, I was lucky enough to have saved enough and lived frugally enough in Spain to be able to visit 14 countries! That included meeting family I had in Paris and Germany. I did most of this by train over our long spring break and backpacking through Europe is an experience I would not trade for anything. However, every weekend I did travel somewhere else as well. I visited the beautiful Barcelona, San Sebastian, Madrid, Mallorca, and Bilbao in Spain (along with the little nearby pueblos I mentioned earlier). My program also had free trips to the castle in Alicante, Granada, and Valencia! This program was truly a blessing to my life, gave me the opportunity to see a large portion of Europe, and gave me the support and confidence to travel (alone at times) to see what I wanted to see. I would highly recommend this program to anyone.

My pictures were too big to upload, but if you're interested, here is a link to a file in my Google drive with some pictures https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByMQbxPrHXO0WlpwWjkzWUVqb3M

I thought long and hard about this, and honestly I can't think of anything really. It would be nice to maybe have more opportunities to go on little day excursions in the afternoon with the program, but there are already so many opportunities so even that as a suggestion is minor.

Millie

Best experience abroad

Studying abroad was the most challenging experiences in my life thus far, yet it was the most rewarding. There is not a day that goes by when I don't think about my trip. It was worth every penny! I look forward to the day I can return and learn more.

Host families hospitality

Samantha
Ripon, WI
Ripon College

Alicante

I had the wonderful opportunity to live with a great host family and attend classes at the Uni with spectacular professors. The city of Alicante is very much alive and there is a beautiful beach, castle, plazas, as well as awesome shops and eateries that are in walking distance from any host home. In addition to all of the great local entertainment, it is very easy to travel from Alicante to other locations via the metro, trains, buses, and from the airport. The program included organized trips to cool places such as Granada and Valencia, and inexpensive additional trips to national parks, to go scuba diving, and to see Las Fallas, among other things. The CC-CS' awesome coordinators really make you feel welcome and at home; they make it easy to get involved on campus and in the community, as well as keep you safe while traveling. The classes are layered for different levels of language and integration, and include fun electives like Flamenco and gastronomia (for those who like to cook and eat high quality, culturally relevant foods and travel to where the best stuff is harvested, prepared, and consumed). I absolutely loved my experience, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their Spanish, travel, meet marvelous folk, eat super fresh foods, learn about the Spanish culture and history (among other cultures), and truly have a blast!

Walking 20 minutes to get to a Uni bus stop, then riding for a half hour after that. I was on the very far edge of where the program would allow host families, and when you pair that with the beautiful large campus, it took me at least an hour to get to class, then another to get home each day. Since I had an early class and a late class with classes dispersed throughout, I couldn't take advantage of heading to the beach or walking the parks during the week day... just chilled on campus with the stray cats and my homework...

Spanish Studies Abroad has created innovative study abroad experiences since 1969, focusing primarily on academics, Spanish language, and student integration into a culture. Since then, new programs have been created, and old ones have evolved. Now offering multiple study abroad programs in Spain, Argentina and