IFSA: Intercollegiate Sri Lankan Education Program (ISLE)

Elephants at Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage
Elephants at Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage
Temple dedicated to Sreee Nagapooshani Amman, Hindu Temple
Temple dedicated to Sreee Nagapooshani Amman, Hindu Temple
Perahera in Kandy
Perahera in Kandy
View from the ISLE program center
View from the ISLE program center

The ISLE Program has been affiliated with the University of Peradeniya in Kandy, Sri Lanka since 1982. ISLE provides a unique combination of high-quality academics, cultural immersion, and experiential learning.

Sri Lanka is a multi-ethnic, multi-religious country that presents numerous opportunities for academic research and exploration. From important Buddhist pilgrimage sites to colonial tea estates, the island's strategic location in the Indian Ocean has placed it at the center of international trade for millennia.

Develop the tools to navigate Sri Lanka as a cultural insider and informed researcher. This fascinating island is your classroom as you learn the local language, live with host families and conduct an Independent Study Project on one of its deeply-rooted traditions or contemporary post-war challenges.

• Set yourself apart by participating in the only academic and cultural immersion program in Sri Lanka
  • Become part of the family with a homestay that offers an intimate look at daily Sri Lankan life and cultural traditions
  • Gain valuable experience and give your resume a boost by conducting independent field-based research
  • Take courses with faculty at the historic and prestigious University of Peradeniya
  • Travel throughout the island to learn about its diverse populations, environments and social issues

IFSA Scholarships
IFSA Scholarships and Financial Aid

We believe that study abroad should be within reach of every student, so we offer a wide range of scholarships and funding opportunities for all our participants.

$500 - $2,500

Karen

Greatest Support System you can ask for in a New Country

The coursework was less rigorous than my home university. It was a nice break from all the academic stress I usually have back home. One thing that's unfortunate about Sri Lanka is that they do not have a highway system in place so it is very time consuming to travel. The process getting to your destination takes a massive amount of time. Therefore, I did not travel outside of Kandy as much as I would have liked to.
The on site staff will be the sweetest group of people you will ever meet. They helped me get through the four months I was in Sri Lanka. They are very approachable and easy to talk to. They will figure out our living accommodations and anything else you need help with. I luckily got along with my host families, but if there are an problems the on site staff are always willing to help you.

The Residential Director didn't give us a clear timeline on when the proposals for our research programs are due. The proposal writing process was very rushed, but since we told him that will most likely change.