IPSL Tanzania: Global Health, Women's Health & Human Rights

Zanzibar Tanzania Spice Islands
Zanzibar Tanzania Spice Islands
Arusha Tanzania
Arusha Tanzania

The program curriculum combines Swahili Language & Culture with Community Organizing & Social Activism (COSA) and a wide selection of elective courses (taught in English) that focus on public health, international development and economics, diplomacy, conflict resolution, urban planning and international relations. IPSL students are integrated with African students and are taught by African professors, making for a rich cultural immersion experience. Service-learning placements are organized at various NGOs, humanitarian organizations, schools, museums, laboratories and clinics.

Tanzania has a mix of more than 120 ethnic groups, the majority of whom speak Bantu languages, including Kiswahili, the official language. Major religions include Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and tribal traditions. Tanzania has much to offer - amazing wildlife parks, unique marine ecosystems, spice islands, tropical beaches, the highest mountain in Africa and a rich cultural heritage.

IPSL specializes in volunteer-based study abroad programming. All programs are credit-bearing and will provide an official transcript upon completion of the program. On average, 15 HOURS per week will be spent volunteering in addition to 6-21 semester credits worth of course work. Our programs are small cohorts of dedicated, service-minded students who that receive individualized attention from our staff.
  • IPSL programs focus on experiential learning, ethical service & engaged research. Now the independent IPSL Institute for Global Learning is authorized to offer academic credit, issue official transcripts and confer diplomas through the Master's level.
  • Explore community organizing and social activism with the goal of learning how to effectively translate these ideas and techniques into a concrete knowledge of social activism that can be applied across cultures, countries, and efforts.
  • Time spent in Arusha studying, volunteering and living with a Tanzanian family is combined with opportunities to explore the National Parks as well as the urban environment of Arusha and surrounding northern Tanzanian villages.
  • Earn up to 18 semester credits or 6 credits for the summer program!
  • IPSL is a Social Benefit Organization with over 83% of profits directly returned to the people, communities & NGOs they partner with abroad.
IPSL is a registered Social Benefit Organization that is committed to its mission and dedicated to promoting an ethic of service. We invest over 83% of our revenues directly back into the communities where we serve.

Sydney

My Tanzania Experience

The study abroad program and service learning provided by IPSL was an amazing experience that will last a lifetime. The classes I took were Swahili and a class about the community, which met three days a week. These taught me a lot about the community and its culture as well as the basics of the local language. Not many people in the U.S. can say that they have taken a Swahili class in their life before. I also loved the service incorporation part, I volunteered in a small, private clinic four days a week and absolutely loved it. In my future, I would like to be a doctor, so this exposed me to what this is like, not only the field but in another country, which is a priceless experience.
My program director made my experience even better. He would take me on excursions on Fridays, he provided me with different places to go for food, excursions, and shopping, and he gave me advice for when I was feeling homesick. I was the only student in the program at the time, so there was a lot of one-on-one time, which was very helpful when he was teaching me Swahili and about the community if I had any questions.

Providing more information to students about their host family and living situation as well as the neighborhood would be nice to know.
Niki

Best Three Months of My Life!

IPSL Tanzania is the best option for students looking to truly immerse themselves in their host country. In addition to studying at a local school, students live with a host family and volunteer in a local non-profit. My days were spent teaching English in an orphanage, hanging out with my host siblings, and interacting with the other students. Although it terrified me at first that I would be the only student in the program (I was the first student to go to Arusha), it was honestly the best three months of my life. I made so many friends from Tanzania, Germany, the Netherlands, and beyond, and I returned to the United States with a whole new family. Students are also in a location to go on a safari; hike Mt. Kilimanjaro or Mt. Meru; explore nearby Moshi; and travel to Kenya, Zanzibar, and other neighboring areas. Definitely a must for anyone seeking adventure!

Find ways to change the school schedule around to allow for more travel on weekends. It's a busy schedule, so finding enough time to truly explore can be difficult.