Loop Abroad - College Veterinary Service Program

In this two-week program, you’ll work and learn alongside veterinarians at an elephant sanctuary and a dog rescue. Students live among the elephants and care directly for them while providing check-ups and procedures to dogs in need.

This program is divided into two weeks. In one week, students work with our staff vet to care for dogs at the Dog Rescue Clinic in Chiang Mai. Students learn how to assess the dogs' health by performing exams and get hands-on practice providing medical care. The other week is spent at the Elephant Nature Park, providing love and support for the 40 elephants who live there.

This program is open for college students (rising freshman through graduating seniors) who are interested in becoming veterinarians or working professionally with animals. Prices are all-inclusive (less airfare) and financial aid is available.

• Gain hands-on experience practicing clinical skills in a companion animal shelter
  • Observe and provide care for rescued elephants at a local sanctuary
  • Explore city life in Chiang Mai, including visits to local temples and markets

After checking the site, it appears that the program is for young adults ages 18-23. Hope that helps! Here's the link for more info: http://www.loopabroad.com/content/college-veterinary-service

Hi Melodie, the price for this is $3859 USD and $5411.18 CAD

• 9-10 rating 98.11%
  • 7-8 rating 1.89%
Naiel

One of the best experiences of my life

I may have been a bit nervous before the trip, but that immediately stopped once the trip got going. The experience we shared was so special and unlike any other. Thailand was such a beautiful country that I cannot wait to come back to. Everyone involved with Loop was spectacular and made the trip so much better. The bond our group formed was so supportive and loving. We all become very close and still remain in contact. Every part of the trip was wonderful and my only complaint was that I didn’t want it to end. The food was all delicious and we were able to see so much of the wonderful cities. It was so nice to get a sense of the beautiful culture. Loop created such an immersive experience that was far from any superficial tourist trip. If you want a real adventure that will be educational and enrich your soul, go on this trip.

Madison

Want both a fun and academic setting to learn about veterinary science? Loop Abroad is the program for you!

I have never been on a study abroad program quite like Loop Abroad's program before. I have never felt so at peace and open minded as I was when being immersed into the Thai culture. The staff, students, and the people who live in Thailand were all so nice, willing to help with anything, and made the trip a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have learned so much from working with the staff especially the American and Thai veterinarians. They taught me not only veterinary skills of which I never would have had the opportunity to learn and practice with in America, but they also taught me life-long lessons, that I will be able to carry with me no matter where I go in life. I am truly thankful for this experience, and would recommend it to anyone who has any interest in animals at all. There is something for everyone on this trip. Within two weeks, I was able to make friendships that I am still in contact with today, and that I know will last a life-time.

My advice would be to keep an open mind and try and push yourself out of your comfort zone a bit. Sometimes traveling to foreign countries (especially if you're going with a group of people you don't know) can be nerve-wracking and scary. Pushing yourself to try new things and meet new people, in my opinion, is the best way to grow, build relationships, and even to network for your future.
Annabelle

Amazing Experience

This program has extensive hands-on experience and in-depth lessons that teach you everything you need to know for the activities you will be doing. They make sure that both you and the animals you are working with are safe at all times. You also receive a cultural education about the beautiful country you are learning in.

The week in the city at the Dog Rescue Clinic is filled with treating dogs, temple visits, and Thai culture at a faster pace. While the week at Elephant Nature Park is a more relaxed learning and memorable volunteer experience. Some of the most memorable experiences at Elephant Nature Park were watching the sunset while hearing the trumpeting of elephants, feeding the elephants, watching the water buffalo roam, and the amazing vegan food. In the city and at Dog Rescue Clinic the most memorable experiences were, working with the cats and dogs beside vets, shopping in the markets, spending time in the gorgeous temples and of course the frequent 7-Eleven stops.

Thailand has so much to offer and with Loop Abroad I was able to thoroughly enjoy my time in Chiang Mai without having to worry about a single thing.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
While feeding the elephants I was very nervous because of how much bigger they are up close and how much their trunks are able to grab. The program staff and mahouts are always looking out for you so they helped me overcome my nerves by showing me the correct way to approach and feed. Now I am glad to say that I fed elephants a variety of foods multiple times throughout my visit.
Cindy

Thailand

The trip was a great experience to encounter elephants and help out with animal clinics! Had a great time with my group and the staff was excellent. Only downside would be: don't expect for it to just be you and your 12 member group that you were assigned in. If you're doing college pre-vet; you'll be crammed with high schoolers as well. Which I wish was made clear to us. My whole group was bothered at this but all in all, the experience was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I had a great time meeting people and embracing the culture but it did not feel like a pre-vet trip. So, I advise people to maybe look into something more serious if they want to learn about medicine and treating animals. I cannot say I learned on this trip; but I can say I had a good time.

To actually learn about elephant medicine and not just go around doing chores and taking pictures.
Isabella

First Trip Abroad

The trip with Loop to Thailand was my first time abroad, and it was amazing. All my nerves about traveling alone and being in a foreign country went out the window and I didn't have to worry about it. The girls in my group were nice and the vet staff were AMAZING! I didn't know anyone, and I made friends while I was there. The culture shock isn't as bad as you think either. The Thai people everywhere we went were welcoming and inclusive.

The actual veterinary experience is something that I will never get elsewhere. The week spent at Elephant Nature Park gave me opportunities to be up close and personal with Asian elephants in their natural habitat. Coming from the US, I would not get that chance stateside. I really believe it will help me when I apply to Vet School in 2020.

What was your funniest moment?
One of the funniest moments was getting to watch one of the elephants use a cornstalk as a fan the entire day.
Willow

Thailand College Veterinary Service

The Thailand College Veterinary Service program was the best experience of my life. This program was everything that I wanted and more. This trip was my first time leaving the country, so I was very nervous. Loop Abroad made me feel very safe and comfortable the entire time, and they were very good at making sure we felt independent while also having people to guide us if we needed. The program was very hands-on with the animals, more so than I even expected. At the vet clinic we got to physically help out with spays and neuters of animals. At the Elephant Nature Park there were hundreds of dogs and cats running all over the place that you were able to interact with. Further, I saw the elephants every day and one day we were even paired with a specific elephant and followed it around all day. The elephants were beautiful and it was amazing to be able to be so close to them. Also, on this trip I ate some of the best food I have ever had because I love Thai food. I also met so many wonderful and amazing girls, I am so happy to be able to call hem my good friends. Overall, this trip was amazing in every aspect. They did a great job at balancing the veterinary service and the exploration of Thailand itself and I wish I could do the program again.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
We actually got to try bugs on the trip!!! It was intimidating but I actually liked a few of them!
Maria

Thailand College Veterinary Service Review

The Thailand College Veterinary Service program was everything I'd hoped it would be- and more. It was my first experience studying abroad- and my first time leaving the continent in general. Although my parents and I had our concerns initially, they soon evaporated. The Loop staff was wonderful at answering our questions and giving us the information we needed to know. They were very thorough, and made me feel cared for before and during the trip.
As for the trip itself, I don't know what other pre-veterinary study abroad programs give you so much hands-on experience! I feel very grateful that as a first-year college undergraduate, I was able to perform a spay and neuter (alongside vets), help an anesthesia team with other spays and neuters, learn how to insert a catheter, feed elephants (and study their diets and waste), and more. We were also given a lot of exposure to Thai culture- visiting night markets and temples, meditating with a monk, visiting children at a local school, and taking part in local ceremonies- which showed me just how beautiful this country is. Overall, I've made memories on this trip that I hope will last a lifetime, and I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in becoming a vet and learning about a beautiful country.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
We ate a myriad of unfamiliar fruits- the durian was probably the strangest (in taste, texture, and smell), but they were all very good.
Read my full story
Joellica

Most Amazing Experience of My Life

It was so cool to spend 2 weeks living life in Thai culture, eating their food and living like they do. At the elephant sanctuary, Elephant Nature Park (ENP), we got to do so many amazing things. We got to feed the elephants, help care for them, and work with one of the elephant vets on their rounds for a day. Every morning we ate breakfast on the platform and you could look out and watch the elephants walking around while eating your Thai style breakfast! On top of that being awesome, all the people were so nice and welcoming. All of the Loop staff were really helpful and always doing everything they could to make our stay great. In the city, they took us out to a different restaurant every night to let us get some food other than Thai and many other little things like that just show they really care and want us to have the best time!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
When working in the dog clinic in the city, we got to help with anesthesia and surgery. Being that I just completed my freshman year of undergraduate school, I never did anything like this before, so it was a little nerve-racking going in with no experience. However, I just asked questions when I wasn't sure, and with the help of the vets and peers, I got to help administer drugs, place a catheter, and other steps in surgery!