This program is no longer offered. View more programs from IES Abroad.
IES Abroad Istanbul DE - Bogazici Uni. & Sabanci Uni. - CLOSED

IES Abroad Istanbul DE - Bogazici Uni. & Sabanci Uni. - CLOSED

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from IES Abroad.

By directly enrolling at Bogazici University or Sabanci University, Istanbul becomes your classroom.

Bogazici University offers a multitude of course offerings, with particular strengths in social science and engineering, and attracts students from across the globe. The modern and attractive campus of Sabanci sits on the Asian side of Istanbul, and offers a wide range of courses. As you settle into your courses, our on-site IES Abroad staff are there to give you support when you need it.

Asia » Turkey » Istanbul

Maya
Saint Paul
Macalester College

İstanbul'u seviyorum!

I can't even begin to describe how much I loved the IES Abroad: Istanbul program, and everyone at IES who played a role in getting me there. First, I found that the IES staff who helped students with their pre-departure issues were absolutely fantastic. I had such wonderful assistance from my representative at IES, and she helped me a great deal with all the little things that students have to do before departure. The staff on location in Istanbul were just as incredible - the Istanbul center director was the kindest, smartest, most passionate and helpful person. The students on my program, myself included, were so fond of him, and some of my favorite memories were of going on his walking tours of the city. Once I was finally in Istanbul, the culture shock and realization that I was finally abroad after over a year of preparation was rather overwhelming. However, after adjusting to all the new experiences, I had the most incredible time. I made life-long friendships and was lucky enough to experience one of the most beautiful cities on Earth. My program was even lucky enough to take a five day trip to Jordan, which was absolutely unforgettable. I wish I could do it all again - studying abroad pushes you in ways you never thought possible, but in your journey you realize just how much this experience changes you for the better. Studying abroad should broaden your worldview and immerse you in another culture , challenge you and shape how you view the world. Everyone should be able to have this opportunity - especially so in Istanbul. I'm hoping that the programs in Istanbul don't stay suspended after the political turmoil of this summer because it is a beautiful place filled with beautiful people. I'm so thankful I got to experience a semester in Istanbul and have amazing adventures every time I stepped out the door. I'm also incredibly grateful that IES made this possible for me... and someday I'll return to Istanbul with the friends I made to experience the magic again.

Ashley
St. Paul

Living in Istanbul

Really an amazing institution. Lots of cats which is super amazing. The cats hang out in little cat houses around campus. Sometimes the cats would wander into the classrooms, which was a little silly, but the professors took it well. All of them were really kind and intelligent (the professors, not the cats!) There are classes and educational opportunities that are just not available at any schools in the US, where I'm from.

Ismet
San Francisco, California
Wellesley College

Istanbul: the hidden gem of Europe, a must-see city filled with adventure

I was very fortunate that I had the chance to be immersed in the Turkish culture and language for 5 months in one of the most spectacular cities in the world so that I could learn more about my Turkish heritage. I was also lucky enough to meet a wonderful group of students while abroad, which included Americans, International students as well as Turkish students of course. It was especially nice that our IES Abroad group was so tight-knit. I would return to Bogazici University in a heartbeat - it was a phenomenal experience. Rigorous academics, an exciting social scene and an absolutely breathtaking campus...

The rigor of the IES Abroad Turkish classes.

Nicole
Maine
Bates College

Turkish Delight

Istanbul is at the center of the world. There is so much history and culture in every neighborhood that intersects and there is always a new and exciting area to explore. The city never gets tiring, especially considering all of the delicious food and beautiful settings, including the Bosphorus and the beautiful Ottoman architecture. Outside of Istanbul there are so many great cities, such as Cappadocia and Ephesus, that have their own unique histories. I will never forget my experience abroad and I look forward to when I will be in Turkey again.

I wish there was less bureaucracy when trying to get my residence permit because I had to wait a long time before I was able to travel outside of the country. I would have liked if there were more programs and events that IES organized so we would interact with the Turkish community more because it was easy to only spend time with other Americans and speak English instead of Turkish.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to